"I'd love to go out with you, but it's my parakeet's bowling night."

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Pedestrian Helmets

SubjectAuthor
* Pedestrian HelmetsMike Collins
+* Re: Pedestrian HelmetsSpike
|`* Re: Pedestrian HelmetsMike Collins
| +* Re: Pedestrian HelmetsSpike
| |`* Re: Pedestrian HelmetsMike Collins
| | `* Re: Pedestrian HelmetsSpike
| |  `* Re: Pedestrian HelmetsMike Collins
| |   `* Re: Pedestrian HelmetsSpike
| |    `* Re: Pedestrian HelmetsMike Collins
| |     `* Re: Pedestrian HelmetsSpike
| |      `* Re: Pedestrian HelmetsMike Collins
| |       `* Re: Pedestrian HelmetsSpike
| |        `- Re: Pedestrian HelmetsMike Collins
| `* Re: Pedestrian Helmetsswldx...@gmail.com
|  `* Re: Pedestrian Helmetsswldx...@gmail.com
|   `* Re: Pedestrian Helmetsswldx...@gmail.com
|    +- Re: Pedestrian HelmetsSpike
|    `* Re: Pedestrian Helmetsswldx...@gmail.com
|     +- Re: Pedestrian HelmetsSpike
|     `* Re: Pedestrian Helmetsswldx...@gmail.com
|      +- Re: Pedestrian HelmetsSpike
|      `* Re: Pedestrian Helmetsswldx...@gmail.com
|       +- Re: Pedestrian HelmetsJNugent
|       `* Re: Pedestrian Helmetsswldx...@gmail.com
|        +- Re: Pedestrian HelmetsSpike
|        `* Re: Pedestrian Helmetsswldx...@gmail.com
|         +- Re: Pedestrian HelmetsSpike
|         `* Re: Pedestrian Helmetsswldx...@gmail.com
|          +- Re: Pedestrian HelmetsSpike
|          `- Re: Pedestrian Helmetsswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Pedestrian Helmetsswldx...@gmail.com

Pages:12
Re: Pedestrian Helmets

<kdk26gFu6l7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29127&group=uk.rec.cycling#29127

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Pedestrian Helmets
Date: 29 May 2023 16:29:04 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 29 May 2023 16:29 UTC

> Whiplash is neck injury caused by sudden, vigorous head movement in
> one direction, then back again quickly, often caused during a motor vehicle accident.
> You may just feel uncomfortable on the day of the injury, while your
> pain, swelling and bruising may increase over the following days.
> Your symptoms are likely to improve over about one week, but some
> people take longer to recover.
> Whiplash injury affects soft tissue, so it doesn’t show up on x-rays.

> If your neck pain is the result of a motor vehicle accident or
> another injury, see your doctor.

There are other causes of pains in the neck, psychotic cyclists in
newsgroups being a prominent source.

--
Spike

Re: Pedestrian Helmets

<ea14a0f6-070a-45f0-a15d-5675ff090bcan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29130&group=uk.rec.cycling#29130

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 09:35:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 29 May 2023 16:35 UTC

A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is an injury to the brain caused by a trauma to the head (head injury). Each year, around 160,000 people are admitted to hospital in the UK with a TBI, the effects of which can be devastating and lifelong. One of the leading causes of this is road traffic incidents.

During a road traffic incident, the head can be rocked back and forth or rotated. The brain, which has space to move around in the skull, can be twisted, stretched and even torn in this process. Complications can follow, such as damage caused by lack of oxygen, bleeding and swelling in the brain.

While head injuries can occur at low speeds, research has found that the higher the speed the car is travelling at, the greater the impact on the skull and the brain. Research that has investigated the effect of impact velocity (the speed of something moving in a particular direction upon the point of impact) on the brain found that the risk of brain injury tripled when the impact velocity was doubled. Furthermore, research into car-pedestrian collisions found that a higher velocity caused a more serious head injury.

The effects of brain injury can be devastating and last a lifetime. Even in the case of a mild head injury (otherwise known as concussion), problems with dizziness, nausea, confusion, sensitivity to light or inability to process or retain information can last for several weeks. In some cases, symptoms such as memory problems, fatigue, headaches, depression and problems with thinking can continue for months, a condition known as post-concussion syndrome.

Moderate or severe head injuries can result in longer-term problems that can have a significant and detrimental impact – not only on the survivor’s life, but on those around them too. Partners can suddenly become carers. Friendships can fade away. Behavioural and emotional changes, hormonal imbalances, difficulties with thinking and memory, communication and physical problems are all common effects of brain injury that can also affect a person’s ability to work, drive and partake in social activities. Rehabilitation will likely be required as well as possible reliance on state welfare and long-term care.

Different parts of the brain are responsible for different skills, so damage limited to one specific area may only affect one skill. Conversely, widespread damage can cause a number of skills to be affected. In road traffic collision simulations, speeds of 55km/h have been found to cause widespread damage across the brain regardless of the direction of impact whereas speeds of 25km/h had much less impact across the brain and damage predominantly occurred when hit from behind.

At Headway, we see too many lives ruined by brain injury. Many of those who need our help to rebuild their lives are people who have been involved in car crashes. The research in this area shows that reducing speed can have a significant impact on the severity of brain injury.

A brain injury can happen to anyone, at any time, but there are things you can do to reduce the risk, such as driving at the speed limit. Remember, there's no need to speed.

Re: Pedestrian Helmets

<kdk2o7Fu93eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29133&group=uk.rec.cycling#29133

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 29 May 2023 16:38:31 GMT
<ea14a0f6-070a-45f0-a15d-5675ff090bcan@googlegroups.com>
 by: Spike - Mon, 29 May 2023 16:38 UTC

Can someone confirm that repetitive posts on the subject of traumatic brain
injury could be a symptom of a traumatic brain injury?

> [...]
> damage limited to one specific area may only affect one skill.
> Conversely, widespread damage can cause a number of skills to be
> affected. In road traffic collision simulations, speeds of 55km/h have
> been found to cause widespread damage across the brain regardless of the
> direction of impact whereas speeds of 25km/h had much less impact across
> the brain and damage predominantly occurred when hit from behind.
>
> At Headway, we see too many lives ruined by brain injury. Many of those
> who need our help to rebuild their lives are people who have been
> involved in car crashes. The research in this area shows that reducing
> speed can have a significant impact on the severity of brain injury.
>
> A brain injury can happen to anyone, at any time, but there are things
> you can do to reduce the risk, such as driving at the speed limit.

<35294d28-d278-4621-b7ac-c2636d11dd27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29135&group=uk.rec.cycling#29135

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 10:04:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 29 May 2023 17:04 UTC

During a car accident, your neck may suddenly jerk forward and backward. With your body restrained by a seat belt, your neck takes the brunt of the force. Moreover, a collision may cause your neck to move from side to side forcefully. Or you may get hit by debris from inside or outside of the vehicle.

If you realise an accident is about to occur, you may tense up your muscles increasing your risk of muscle strain. This forceful action can damage ligaments, muscles, discs, nerves, joints, tendons, or bones.

Re: Pedestrian Helmets

<kdk8prFn4qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29140&group=uk.rec.cycling#29140

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 29 May 2023 18:21:47 GMT
<ea14a0f6-070a-45f0-a15d-5675ff090bcan@googlegroups.com>
<35294d28-d278-4621-b7ac-c2636d11dd27n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Spike - Mon, 29 May 2023 18:21 UTC

> If you realise an accident is about to occur, you may tense up your
> muscles increasing your risk of muscle strain. This forceful action can
> damage ligaments, muscles, discs, nerves, joints, tendons, or bones.

This does not apply to cyclists, as their modus is to monitor their front
axle as they cycle along, so they never see what they crashed into, and
therefore cannot stress themselves in the manner described.

--
Spike

Re: Pedestrian Helmets

<5c508700-88fb-428f-aff3-353d4b4a3de7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29143&group=uk.rec.cycling#29143

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 11:32:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 29 May 2023 18:32 UTC

The most common neck injury in a car accident is a soft tissue injury. Doctors sometimes diagnose these as whiplash, neck sprains, or neck strains. They are injuries to the ligaments, tendons, muscles, and other tissues of the neck.

If you have symptoms of a neck injury following a crash, you should see a doctor for a thorough evaluation as soon as possible. If the other driver caused the collision, a Long Island car accident attorney will file a claim or lawsuit to recover the cost of this initial medical examination and related follow-up treatment, as well as your other costs.
In This Article

Understanding Whiplash Symptoms and Prognosis

Whiplash occurs after many types of collisions but is most common after a rear-end crash. It is the result of the head jerking back and forth or side to side during a collision. This happens because your seat belt, airbag, and other safety features hold your body in place, but your head can move around freely.

When your head moves beyond your neck’s usual range of motion, it can cause strain, sprain, tearing, and other damage to the muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves, and connective tissues of the neck, shoulders, and upper back.

Involved tissues and structures often include:

The posterior cervical spine and related tissues
The anterior cervical spine and related tissues
The trapezius muscles of the shoulders

Whiplash symptoms may occur quickly following the accident. Some people feel pain, stiffness, or a headache immediately. Others have no symptoms until hours later, the following morning, and sometimes, even as long as a few days after the accident. It is very important that you doctor for an evaluation and diagnosis as soon as you have pain or other symptoms.

While most cases of whiplash heal with minimal treatment in a few weeks, this is not always true. Some people suffer chronic pain in their necks or upper backs, continuing headaches, memory concerns and fogginess, and a limited range of motion for an extended period or even the rest of their lives.

According to the Mayo Clinic, this is more likely for those who had severe symptoms right away, including:

Severe neck pain
Very restricted range of motion
Pain that shoots down their arms

Those who have the most significantly impairing outcomes of this type of injury are more likely to have risk factors that include:

Having a previous whiplash diagnosis
Existing back injuries, even in another area of the spine
Advanced age
Higher-speed crashes

Sadly, we have seen many people who had more than one or even all of these risk factors. Their neck injury can be severe, extremely painful and create problems in all areas of their life. We believe that justice demands that such people receive the compensation they deserve from the careless and reckless party that caused the accident and, in turn, the resulting injury.