He jests at scars who never felt a wound. -- Shakespeare, "Romeo and Juliet, II. 2"

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / What makes somebody a celebrity?

SubjectAuthor
* What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Peter
|+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Sn!pe
||`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Hymermut
|+- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Julian Macassey
|`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Hymermut
|+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Nicholas D. Richards
||`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
|`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Tease'n'Seize
|+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?soup
||+- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Tease'n'Seize
||+- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
||`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
|+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Nicholas D. Richards
||`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
|`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Adrian
|+- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Sam Plusnet
+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?nev young
|`* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?The Nomad
| `- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
`* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Mike Fleming
 +* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
 |`* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Jeff Gaines
 | `- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
 `* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?soup
  `* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Mike Fleming
   `- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Richard Robinson

Pages:12
What makes somebody a celebrity?

<ukhpcg$2ra32$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29415&group=uk.rec.sheds#29415

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: What makes somebody a celebrity?
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:38:55 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:38 UTC

When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to recognise the
people by name if nothing else. However, at what point did somebody become
famous or a celebrity if one made a series of Youtube videos, and what on
earth is an influencer?
I think one realises you are getting old when things like this go right
past you. I also dislike the way nowadays to partake of any event, you have
to book on line and end up with a virtual ticket on a phone. I'd be very
wary of having an expensive smart phone with me going to a large gathering.
too many people get them nicked by the light fingered brigade. No I'd take a
cheap pay as you go dumb phone.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<XnsB0CF77729DF5AFactura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29416&group=uk.rec.sheds#29416

From: myshed@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:44:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:44 UTC

"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in

> what on earth is an influencer?

Someone who influences. HTH.

--
Peter
-----

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<ukhpob$2ralt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29417&group=uk.rec.sheds#29417

From: tone@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:45:15 +0000
 by: Hymermut - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:45 UTC

On 03/12/2023 11:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
> When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to recognise the
> people by name if nothing else. However, at what point did somebody become
> famous or a celebrity if one made a series of Youtube videos, and what on
> earth is an influencer?
> I think one realises you are getting old when things like this go right
> past you. I also dislike the way nowadays to partake of any event, you have
> to book on line and end up with a virtual ticket on a phone. I'd be very
> wary of having an expensive smart phone with me going to a large gathering.
> too many people get them nicked by the light fingered brigade. No I'd take a
> cheap pay as you go dumb phone.
> Brian

An influencer is a total egotist online who tells gullible folks what to
think about anything, especially the influencer, discouraging them to
think for themselves.

They make their money by the amount of advertising their blog can
support and what they can sell.

They are the digital version of door-to-door salespersons.

Tone

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<1ql5w9p.m5i42keigi7vN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29418&group=uk.rec.sheds#29418

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 12:08:16 +0000
This article may be reproduced for the purposes of propagation and
personal use only, no commercial use without express permission.
 by: Sn!pe - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 12:08 UTC

Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:

> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > what on earth is an influencer?
>
> Someone who influences. HTH.

-using effluence in pursuit of affluence.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.
My pet rock Gordon just said "Klaatu barada nikto."

Google Groups articles not seen here unless poster is whitelisted.

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<++RgXUAP+GblFAiY@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29419&group=uk.rec.sheds#29419

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 12:07:43 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 12:07 UTC

In article <ukhpob$2ralt$1@dont-email.me>, Hymermut <tone@email.com> on
Sun, 3 Dec 2023 at 11:45:15 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 03/12/2023 11:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to recognise the
>> people by name if nothing else. However, at what point did somebody become
>> famous or a celebrity if one made a series of Youtube videos, and what on
>> earth is an influencer?
>> I think one realises you are getting old when things like this go right
>> past you. I also dislike the way nowadays to partake of any event, you have
>> to book on line and end up with a virtual ticket on a phone. I'd be very
>> wary of having an expensive smart phone with me going to a large gathering.
>> too many people get them nicked by the light fingered brigade. No I'd take a
>> cheap pay as you go dumb phone.
>> Brian
>>

>An influencer is a total egotist online who tells gullible folks what to
>think about anything, especially the influencer, discouraging them to
>think for themselves.
>
>They make their money by the amount of advertising their blog can
>support and what they can sell.
>
>They are the digital version of door-to-door salespersons.
>
>Tone

This just about sums up that type of influencer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66412432

I am not sure that political influencers are somewhat different, but
just as obnoxious and even more dangerous to society and polity,
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<ukhsti$2rpdh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29420&group=uk.rec.sheds#29420

From: tone@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 12:39:13 +0000
 by: Hymermut - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 12:39 UTC

On 03/12/2023 12:08, Sn!pe wrote:
> Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> what on earth is an influencer?
>>
>> Someone who influences. HTH.
>
> -using effluence in pursuit of affluence.

"There's money in muck" as my old boss used to say.

He ran a fleet of tipper lorries.

Tone

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<eFidnVPmWuz7H_H4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29423&group=uk.rec.sheds#29423

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 13:28:04 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-and-seize@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 13:28 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to recognise the
> people by name if nothing else. However, at what point did somebody become
> famous or a celebrity if one made a series of Youtube videos, and what on
> earth is an influencer?

I don't watch it, but when the initial line-up for this year's "I'm a
Celebrity ..." was announced, the only two people I'd heard of were
Nigel Farage and Fred Sirieix from that C4 restaurant dating show.

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<uki2up$2sgtt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29425&group=uk.rec.sheds#29425

From: invalid@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:22:18 +0000
 by: soup - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:22 UTC

On 03/12/2023 13:28, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to
>> recognise the
>> people by name if nothing else. However, at what point did somebody
>> become
>> famous or a celebrity if one made a series of Youtube videos, and what on
>> earth is an influencer?
>
> I don't watch it, but when the initial line-up for this year's "I'm a
> Celebrity ..." was announced, the only two people I'd heard of were
> Nigel Farage and Fred Sirieix from that C4 restaurant dating show.

You mean you've heard of Fred Sirieix but haven't heard of Britney
Spears' sister(scraping the barrel or what) ?

Nigel Farage is the only one I've heard of.
Mind you not watching the haunted fishtank allows me to be unaware of
the likes of Fred Sirieix

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<vZb$hTJUOJblFwiW@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29426&group=uk.rec.sheds#29426

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:41:24 +0000
 by: Adrian - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:41 UTC

A celebrity is someone famous(*) that you've never heard of.

(*)FSVO

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<i4CdnRnxD9ASCvH4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29427&group=uk.rec.sheds#29427

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:58:20 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-and-seize@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:58 UTC

soup wrote:

> You mean you've heard of Fred Sirieix but haven't heard of Britney
> Spears' sister (scraping the barrel or what) ?

Well yes, I'd heard of Jamie Lynn's sister, but not Jamie Lynn herself.

> Nigel Farage is the only one I've heard of.
> Mind you not watching the haunted fishtank allows me to be unaware of
> the likes of Fred Sirieix

If you want a good maître d' for a GI show, pinching one who's done it
for real in a posh restrong isn't the worst idea ...

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<slrnumpb0d.50j.julian@n6are.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29429&group=uk.rec.sheds#29429

From: julian@n6are.com (Julian Macassey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 16:25:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Macassey - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 16:25 UTC

On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:44:31 -0000 (UTC), Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> what on earth is an influencer?
>
> Someone who influences. HTH.

A grifter that thinks people believe in them.

--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<20231203164505.7dd88f24ab53cf6f170cd959@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29431&group=uk.rec.sheds#29431

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 16:45:05 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 16:45 UTC

On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 14:41:24 +0000
Adrian <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:

> A celebrity is someone famous(*)

In some cases for being a celebrity.

Recursion: See recursion.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<20231203164342.0a4ac3e3923c887fa61f86dc@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29432&group=uk.rec.sheds#29432

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 16:43:42 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 16:43 UTC

On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:38:55 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> and what on earth is an influencer?

A sheeple vane.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<uTf08vA1gLblFAya@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29434&group=uk.rec.sheds#29434

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 17:17:41 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 17:17 UTC

In article <eFidnVPmWuz7H_H4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid.?> on Sun, 3 Dec 2023 at
13:28:04 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to recognise the
>> people by name if nothing else. However, at what point did somebody become
>> famous or a celebrity if one made a series of Youtube videos, and what on
>> earth is an influencer?
>
>I don't watch it, but when the initial line-up for this year's "I'm a
>Celebrity ..." was announced, the only two people I'd heard of were
>Nigel Farage and Fred Sirieix from that C4 restaurant dating show.

Who Fred Sirieix. Something to do with Sirieix Fred, for sewing Sirieix,
perhaps?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<Sl4bN.205679$svP4.135915@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29441&group=uk.rec.sheds#29441

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 19:07:30 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 19:07 UTC

On 03-Dec-23 16:43, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:38:55 -0000
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> and what on earth is an influencer?
>
> A sheeple vane.

Followed by vain sheeple?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<ukkegu$3cu6o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29457&group=uk.rec.sheds#29457

From: newsforpasiphae1953@yahoo.co.uk (nev young)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 11:51:58 +0000
 by: nev young - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 11:51 UTC

On 03/12/2023 11:38, Brian Gaff wrote:

what on earth is an influencer?
A person who distributes respiratory viruses.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<kskbN.97361$Tqh3.15057@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29461&group=uk.rec.sheds#29461

From: nomad@the.desert.invalid (The Nomad)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 13:26:40 GMT
 by: The Nomad - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:26 UTC

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 11:51:58 +0000, nev young
<newsforpasiphae1953@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 03/12/2023 11:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
>
> what on earth is an influencer?
> A person who distributes respiratory viruses.

Oh, Well done Sir!

Avpx

p.s. I fear that might be what I've just started recovering from - not
CoV2 (-ve tests) but more than a cold!

--
Wobbler thought that California was where good people went when they
died. (Only You Can Save Mankind)

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<uknkf5$7orv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29477&group=uk.rec.sheds#29477

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 16:51:47 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 16:51 UTC

Well that could apply to anyone. we all must have influenced people from
time to time.
Brian

--

--:
"Peter" <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote in message
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> what on earth is an influencer?
>
> Someone who influences. HTH.
>
> --
> Peter
> -----

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<uknks1$7r6c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29478&group=uk.rec.sheds#29478

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 16:58:39 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 16:58 UTC

From your description, they are maybe more like these little tin God
preachers you used to hear on radio stations like Radio London, the Garner
Ted Armstrongs who seem to have migrated to Premier radio now.
There was a really hilarious person on an American radio station who seemed
to be always saying that the world is about to end and the day of reckoning
is here However why sending money to a small town church in the deep south
should help you was always a mystery.
Brian

--

--:
"Hymermut" <tone@email.com> wrote in message
> On 03/12/2023 11:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to recognise
>> the
>> people by name if nothing else. However, at what point did somebody
>> become
>> famous or a celebrity if one made a series of Youtube videos, and what on
>> earth is an influencer?
>> I think one realises you are getting old when things like this go right
>> past you. I also dislike the way nowadays to partake of any event, you
>> have
>> to book on line and end up with a virtual ticket on a phone. I'd be very
>> wary of having an expensive smart phone with me going to a large
>> gathering.
>> too many people get them nicked by the light fingered brigade. No I'd
>> take a
>> cheap pay as you go dumb phone.
>> Brian
>>

> An influencer is a total egotist online who tells gullible folks what to
> think about anything, especially the influencer, discouraging them to
> think for themselves.
>
> They make their money by the amount of advertising their blog can support
> and what they can sell.
>
> They are the digital version of door-to-door salespersons.
>
> Tone

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<uknl73$7tbd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29479&group=uk.rec.sheds#29479

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:04:33 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:04 UTC

If you cannot think for yourself, just go on Youtube and loads of people
will tell you what to think. There is a blind Model on there who really does
make me annoyed by going on about make up and hair and of course she now has
her own brand of these things, so I'm sure no matter how much she plays the
card about how to be independent, she has found a way to make money until
her face and body get too frazzled. I'm not sure what to think, since blind
people are amongst the most unemployed due to the public perception of us.
Brian

--

--:
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote in message
> In article <ukhpob$2ralt$1@dont-email.me>, Hymermut <tone@email.com> on
> Sun, 3 Dec 2023 at 11:45:15 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>On 03/12/2023 11:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to recognise
>>> the
>>> people by name if nothing else. However, at what point did somebody
>>> become
>>> famous or a celebrity if one made a series of Youtube videos, and what
>>> on
>>> earth is an influencer?
>>> I think one realises you are getting old when things like this go
>>> right
>>> past you. I also dislike the way nowadays to partake of any event, you
>>> have
>>> to book on line and end up with a virtual ticket on a phone. I'd be very
>>> wary of having an expensive smart phone with me going to a large
>>> gathering.
>>> too many people get them nicked by the light fingered brigade. No I'd
>>> take a
>>> cheap pay as you go dumb phone.
>>> Brian
>>>

>>An influencer is a total egotist online who tells gullible folks what to
>>think about anything, especially the influencer, discouraging them to
>>think for themselves.
>>
>>They make their money by the amount of advertising their blog can
>>support and what they can sell.
>>
>>They are the digital version of door-to-door salespersons.
>>
>>Tone
>
> This just about sums up that type of influencer:
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66412432
>
> I am not sure that political influencers are somewhat different, but
> just as obnoxious and even more dangerous to society and polity,
> --
> 0sterc@tcher -
>
> "O� sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<uknl9m$7tpf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29480&group=uk.rec.sheds#29480

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:05:56 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:05 UTC

I've only heard of the first one.
How will he manage without his nicotine fixes?

Brian

--

--:
"Tease'n'Seize" <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in message
> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to recognise
>> the
>> people by name if nothing else. However, at what point did somebody
>> become
>> famous or a celebrity if one made a series of Youtube videos, and what on
>> earth is an influencer?
>
> I don't watch it, but when the initial line-up for this year's "I'm a
> Celebrity ..." was announced, the only two people I'd heard of were Nigel
> Farage and Fred Sirieix from that C4 restaurant dating show.

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<uknlgo$7v6g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29481&group=uk.rec.sheds#29481

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:09:42 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:09 UTC

Yes, there are more stations but less good stuff on them, lots of repeats
and although some shows can be watched again, many cannot.

They have been running UFO on one channel, the acting is over the top, the
plots pretty dire and really considering Gerry Anderson did the special
effects, I'd have expected better, obviously the budget was low.
Brian

--

--:
"soup" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On 03/12/2023 13:28, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to recognise
>>> the
>>> people by name if nothing else. However, at what point did somebody
>>> become
>>> famous or a celebrity if one made a series of Youtube videos, and what
>>> on
>>> earth is an influencer?
>>
>> I don't watch it, but when the initial line-up for this year's "I'm a
>> Celebrity ..." was announced, the only two people I'd heard of were Nigel
>> Farage and Fred Sirieix from that C4 restaurant dating show.
>
> You mean you've heard of Fred Sirieix but haven't heard of Britney Spears'
> sister(scraping the barrel or what) ?
>
> Nigel Farage is the only one I've heard of.
> Mind you not watching the haunted fishtank allows me to be unaware of the
> likes of Fred Sirieix

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<uknlj8$7vlp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29482&group=uk.rec.sheds#29482

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:11:02 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:11 UTC

Yes I do remember it from before but maybe I notice the over acting more now
I cannot see the awful effects. Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"soup" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On 03/12/2023 13:28, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to recognise
>>> the
>>> people by name if nothing else. However, at what point did somebody
>>> become
>>> famous or a celebrity if one made a series of Youtube videos, and what
>>> on
>>> earth is an influencer?
>>
>> I don't watch it, but when the initial line-up for this year's "I'm a
>> Celebrity ..." was announced, the only two people I'd heard of were Nigel
>> Farage and Fred Sirieix from that C4 restaurant dating show.
>
> You mean you've heard of Fred Sirieix but haven't heard of Britney Spears'
> sister(scraping the barrel or what) ?
>
> Nigel Farage is the only one I've heard of.
> Mind you not watching the haunted fishtank allows me to be unaware of the
> likes of Fred Sirieix

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<uknlur$81k9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29483&group=uk.rec.sheds#29483

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:17:13 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:17 UTC

Also, what do people get so excited about Strictly Come dancing for. Its
audio described and to me doing that and also on some comedies seems to be
almost useless. So what, we all know Angela Rippon was in the Television
Toppers as a dancer, so the fact that she could dance so well is not
surprising. You may remember those ladies as they were in the Black and
White Minstrel Show. I never understood the appeal of a load of white
geezers blacking up and dressing ridiculous with the all whit girls usually
with parasols dancing about.
Brian

--

--:
> In article <eFidnVPmWuz7H_H4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
> Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid.?> on Sun, 3 Dec 2023 at
> 13:28:04 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to recognise
>>> the
>>> people by name if nothing else. However, at what point did somebody
>>> become
>>> famous or a celebrity if one made a series of Youtube videos, and what
>>> on
>>> earth is an influencer?
>>
>>I don't watch it, but when the initial line-up for this year's "I'm a
>>Celebrity ..." was announced, the only two people I'd heard of were
>>Nigel Farage and Fred Sirieix from that C4 restaurant dating show.
>>
> Who Fred Sirieix. Something to do with Sirieix Fred, for sewing Sirieix,
> perhaps?
> --
> 0sterc@tcher -
>
> "O� sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<uknm62$8321$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29484&group=uk.rec.sheds#29484

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:21:04 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:21 UTC

If they are famous, surely that means some or quite a lot of people have
heard of them. Cliff Richard had an album called I'm Nearly Famous. The
answer to his appeal is that to the general British public he was normal
and never too himself too seriously, just had fun. Having said that quite
why he has redone all his old stuff with an orchestra or jazz band eludes
me. It just sounds wrong to me.
Brian

--

--: