Keep away from edge.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

SubjectAuthor
* What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Peter
|+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Sn!pe
||`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Hymermut
|+- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Julian Macassey
|`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Hymermut
|+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Nicholas D. Richards
||`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
|`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Tease'n'Seize
|+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?soup
||+- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Tease'n'Seize
||+- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
||`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
|+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Nicholas D. Richards
||`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
|`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Adrian
|+- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|`- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Sam Plusnet
+* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?nev young
|`* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?The Nomad
| `- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Brian Gaff
`* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Mike Fleming
 +* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
 |`* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Jeff Gaines
 | `- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
 `* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?soup
  `* Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Mike Fleming
   `- Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?Richard Robinson

Pages:12
Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<uknmeh$84ec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29485&group=uk.rec.sheds#29485

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:25:35 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:25 UTC

Of course some celebs do not really exist at all, like Mickey Mouse so if
you get a licence and an official costume you can be Mickey Mouse. Its like
old Saint Nick. The fact that he originally dressed in Green and was a spin
off from a Pagan got has nothing to do with sugary drinks at all.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"The Nomad" <nomad@the.desert.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 11:51:58 +0000, nev young
> <newsforpasiphae1953@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 03/12/2023 11:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>> what on earth is an influencer?
>> A person who distributes respiratory viruses.
>
> Oh, Well done Sir!
>
> Avpx
>
> p.s. I fear that might be what I've just started recovering from - not
> CoV2 (-ve tests) but more than a cold!
>
> --
> Wobbler thought that California was where good people went when they
> died. (Only You Can Save Mankind)
> Mon 11052 Sep 13:25:01 GMT 1993
> 13:25:01 up 3 days, 23:21, 8 users, load average: 1.85, 1.38, 1.09

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<kv6nggFe1gdU15@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30208&group=uk.rec.sheds#30208

From: mike@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 01:59:41 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 01:59 UTC

On 03/12/2023 11:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
> When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to recognise the
> people by name if nothing else. However, at what point did somebody become
> famous or a celebrity if one made a series of Youtube videos, and what on
> earth is an influencer?

Celebrity has become a completely meaningless term. An example is Jade
Goody - you may well not remember her name, she was a racist imbecile
who participated in "Big Brother" and then died of cancer, as a
consequence of which her mother became a celebrity. As I say, utterly
meaningless.

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<20231229061247.7abef711926e5db8575e27ac@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30210&group=uk.rec.sheds#30210

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 06:12:47 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 06:12 UTC

On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 01:59:41 +0000
Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> On 03/12/2023 11:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
> > When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to
> > recognise the people by name if nothing else. However, at what point
> > did somebody become famous or a celebrity if one made a series of
> > Youtube videos, and what on earth is an influencer?
>
> Celebrity has become a completely meaningless term. An example is Jade

As best as I can tell there are people who are celebrities because
they are famous ...

... for being celebrities.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<xn0ob5kk5bbuhvm00e@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30211&group=uk.rec.sheds#30211

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 29 Dec 2023 08:18:46 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 08:18 UTC

On 29/12/2023 in message
<20231229061247.7abef711926e5db8575e27ac@eircom.net> Ahem A Rivet's Shot
wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 01:59:41 +0000
>Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 03/12/2023 11:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>>When I look up on line famous birthdays for any day, I used to
>>>recognise the people by name if nothing else. However, at what point
>>>did somebody become famous or a celebrity if one made a series of
>>>Youtube videos, and what on earth is an influencer?
>>
>>Celebrity has become a completely meaningless term. An example is Jade
>
> As best as I can tell there are people who are celebrities because
>they are famous ...
>
> ... for being celebrities.

Or for walking around half naked.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
This joke was so funny when I heard it for the first time I fell of my

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<20231229093325.607619975f2afccd87b427d2@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30214&group=uk.rec.sheds#30214

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 09:33:25 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 09:33 UTC

On 29 Dec 2023 08:18:46 GMT
"Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> On 29/12/2023 in message
> <20231229061247.7abef711926e5db8575e27ac@eircom.net> Ahem A Rivet's Shot
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 01:59:41 +0000
> >Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> >>Celebrity has become a completely meaningless term. An example is Jade
> >
> > As best as I can tell there are people who are celebrities
> > because
> >they are famous ...
> >
> > ... for being celebrities.
>
> Or for walking around half naked.

Many people do that - you have to get photographs published of it
TAAAW.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<un9t1q$9p4l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30317&group=uk.rec.sheds#30317

From: invalid@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 21:41:33 +0000
 by: soup - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 21:41 UTC

On 29/12/2023 01:59, Mike Fleming wrote:

> An example is Jade Goody

What did she initially do, I do know her name but I can't think what
she did initially?

I remember Frankie Boyle telling a 'joke' about Jack (someone or
other, Goodies husband) being lucky as he married her late on . FB said
he was lucky as her kids weren't his so he didn't have to look after
them, he wouldn't have to put up with her in her dotage, and as she had
some form of ovarian cancer her <E.D.> would get tighter as time went on.

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<kvrg27Fe1gdU17@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30318&group=uk.rec.sheds#30318

From: mike@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 23:01:25 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 23:01 UTC

On 05/01/2024 21:41, soup wrote:
> On 29/12/2023 01:59, Mike Fleming wrote:
>
>> An example is Jade Goody
>
>  What did she initially do, I do know her name but I can't think what
> she did initially?

"Famous" for going on Big Brother [1] and describing her lady's front
bottom as looking like a badly packed kebab. She was also remarkably
stupid, even in comparison with the low bar set by most of the rest of
the entrants. This apparently made her a celebrity, as she was brought
back for Celebrity Big Brother [2] along with her boyfriend Jack Tweed
and her mother, where she was somewhat racist, referring to another
contestant, one Shilpa Shetty, as "Shilpa Poppadom".

>    I remember Frankie Boyle telling a 'joke' about Jack (someone or
> other, Goodies husband) being lucky as he married her late on .  FB said
> he was lucky as her kids weren't his so he didn't have to look after
> them, he wouldn't have to put up with her in her dotage, and as she had
> some form of ovarian cancer her <E.D.> would get tighter as time went on.

I mostly love FB but occasionally he both goes wide of the mark and
oversteps the line - this and the one about Katie Price's (aka Jordan's)
son, along with another few, seemed more nasty than funny.

[1] A reality-based gameshow, m'lud
[2] Similar to 1, but featuring people that could, by an enormous
stretch of the imagination, be described as famous, or at least related
to somebody who might be described as famous, or at least know somebody
who might be described as famous.

Re: What makes somebody a celebrity?

<unaads$be55$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30319&group=uk.rec.sheds#30319

From: richard@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 01:29:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 01:29 UTC

The media. HTH.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html