10.0 times 0.1 is hardly ever 1.0.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / County Championship

SubjectAuthor
* County Championshipmiked
+* Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
|+* Re: County Championshipmiked
||`* Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
|| `* Re: County Championshipmiked
||  +* Re: County ChampionshipDavid North
||  |`* Re: County Championshipmiked
||  | +- Re: County Championshipmiked
||  | `* Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
||  |  `* Re: County Championshipdnorth
||  |   `* Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
||  |    `* Re: County Championshipmiked
||  |     `* Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
||  |      `* Re: County Championshipmiked
||  |       `* Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
||  |        `- Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
||  `* Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
||   `* Re: County Championshipdnorth
||    +- Re: County Championshipdnorth
||    `- Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
|`* Re: County Championshipdnorth
| `* Re: County Championshipmiked
|  +- Re: County ChampionshipDavid North
|  `* Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
|   +* Re: County ChampionshipAndy Walker
|   |`- Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
|   +- Re: County Championshipmiked
|   `* Re: County Championshipdnorth
|    `* Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
|     `- Re: County Championshipmiked
+- Re: County ChampionshipMister Johnson
`* Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
 `* Re: County Championshipmiked
  +* Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
  |+- Re: County Championshipmiked
  |`- Re: County Championshipmiked
  `* Re: County ChampionshipJohn Hall
   `- Re: County Championshipmiked

Pages:12
County Championship

<19e8f599df2b543bccc0f7dc19415761@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30002&group=uk.sport.cricket#30002

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: County Championship
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 00:01:27 +0000
 by: miked - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 00:01 UTC

starts today.

Still see Surrey as the strongest county [must be the richest too now] since
they will have [barring injury] Pope Foakes Lawrence until July, plus a choice
of seamers from Roach Atkinson Joverton Lawes Clark Worral Abbot as well as Jordan
and Topley [although they prob wont play much FC cricket], even if Curran misses
most of their CC games again.

However Durham could put out a very strong side too if all their players were available,
Hants too but their batting looks a little weak.

Wonder if both Somerset and Lancs have been told to play Bash and Hartley as often
as possible in the CC and how Lyons arrival will affect selection?

But as usual it looks wet and windy everywhere for at least the first 2 days.

mike

Re: County Championship

<NQRez4Alc6DmFwaf@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30003&group=uk.sport.cricket#30003

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: County Championship
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 08:24:21 +0100
 by: John Hall - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 07:24 UTC

In message <19e8f599df2b543bccc0f7dc19415761@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>starts today.
>Still see Surrey as the strongest county [must be the richest too now]
>since they will have [barring injury] Pope Foakes Lawrence until July,
>plus a choice
>of seamers from Roach Atkinson Joverton Lawes Clark Worral Abbot as
>well as Jordan
>and Topley [although they prob wont play much FC cricket], even if
>Curran misses
>most of their CC games again.

Atkinson is missing today's game, as England are managing his workload,
even though I don't think he's bowled a ball in anger since the WC in
November. Worrall is also missing, with a neck strain, and I don't think
Abbot has arrived yet. Still Roach, Clark, J. Overton, Lawes and
possibly Dunn as well isn't too shabby a pace attack.

>However Durham could put out a very strong side too if all their
>players were available, Hants too but their batting looks a little weak.
>
>Wonder if both Somerset and Lancs have been told to play Bash and
>Hartley as often
>as possible in the CC and how Lyons arrival will affect selection?
>But as usual it looks wet and windy everywhere for at least the first 2 days.
>
>mike

Yes, a lot of draws I imagine.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: County Championship

<m%PPN.394955$Qw2.121437@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30004&group=uk.sport.cricket#30004

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
From: root@example.net (Mister Johnson)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 10:02:58 GMT
 by: Mister Johnson - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 10:02 UTC

On 2024-04-05, miked <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> Wonder if both Somerset and Lancs have been told to play Bash and Hartley
> as often
> as possible in the CC and how Lyons arrival will affect selection?
>
> But as usual it looks wet and windy everywhere for at least the first 2 days.
>
> mike

Lancs have said that they're open to loaning out Bash if Lyon is playing
and if they don't need both in the same match.

Re: County Championship

<2f1d8f021f05e7214fbdf5fdd15b0b61@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30005&group=uk.sport.cricket#30005

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 21:57:25 +0000
 by: miked - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 21:57 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <19e8f599df2b543bccc0f7dc19415761@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>starts today.
>>Still see Surrey as the strongest county [must be the richest too now]
>>since they will have [barring injury] Pope Foakes Lawrence until July,
>>plus a choice
>>of seamers from Roach Atkinson Joverton Lawes Clark Worral Abbot as
>>well as Jordan
>>and Topley [although they prob wont play much FC cricket], even if
>>Curran misses
>>most of their CC games again.

> Atkinson is missing today's game, as England are managing his workload,
> even though I don't think he's bowled a ball in anger since the WC in
> November. Worrall is also missing, with a neck strain, and I don't think
> Abbot has arrived yet. Still Roach, Clark, J. Overton, Lawes and
> possibly Dunn as well isn't too shabby a pace attack.

in my op i was gonna say that surrey might be a bit weak in spin,
but 1st day of the season 9/10 wkts fall to lawrence and steel! didnt
see that coming, could it be Lancs decided to prep wkts with lyon
and hartley in mind? OT does have a rep in the past for spin, but in
april? Also i see the BBC think lawrence is a leg spinner. he isnt
is he? i've only seen him bowl once, and his action is so odd
i couldnt say, but officially i thought hes down as an offie.

Similarly at Lords; everyone knows how weak msex batting is, so do they
prep a road of roads? And then put Glamorgan in? Cap Northeast
filled his boots as they say. Some are blaming the kookabura ball
already.

mike

Re: County Championship

<jJ6ZkTBNHmEmFwH7@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30006&group=uk.sport.cricket#30006

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 10:05:17 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 09:05 UTC

In message <2f1d8f021f05e7214fbdf5fdd15b0b61@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>in my op i was gonna say that surrey might be a bit weak in spin,
>but 1st day of the season 9/10 wkts fall to lawrence and steel! didnt
>see that coming, could it be Lancs decided to prep wkts with lyon
>and hartley in mind?

Looks like it. Surrey put Lancs in, so they might have misread the
pitch.

> OT does have a rep in the past for spin, but in april? Also i see the
>BBC think lawrence is a leg spinner. he isnt
>is he? i've only seen him bowl once, and his action is so odd
>i couldnt say, but officially i thought hes down as an offie.

ISTR there was an argument with RH a year or so ago about which he
bowled. Playfair has him listed as a leggie, whereas ESPN's report on
yesterday's play calls him an offie.

>Similarly at Lords; everyone knows how weak msex batting is, so do they
>prep a road of roads? And then put Glamorgan in? Cap Northeast
>filled his boots as they say. Some are blaming the kookabura ball
>already.

It must be a factor, I would think. Whether one should say blame or
credit is a moot point. If it makes "dibbly-dobbly" seamers less
effective, which seems to be the object of the trial, then that may be a
good thing.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: County Championship

<ab439bd185a7c532939100e3b31182b6@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30007&group=uk.sport.cricket#30007

From: usenet@lanefarm.plus.com (dnorth)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:46:43 +0000
 by: dnorth - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:46 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <19e8f599df2b543bccc0f7dc19415761@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>starts today.
>>Still see Surrey as the strongest county [must be the richest too now]
>>since they will have [barring injury] Pope Foakes Lawrence until July,
>>plus a choice
>>of seamers from Roach Atkinson Joverton Lawes Clark Worral Abbot as
>>well as Jordan
>>and Topley [although they prob wont play much FC cricket], even if
>>Curran misses
>>most of their CC games again.

> Atkinson is missing today's game, as England are managing his workload,
> even though I don't think he's bowled a ball in anger since the WC in
> November. Worrall is also missing, with a neck strain, and I don't think
> Abbot has arrived yet. Still Roach, Clark, J. Overton, Lawes and
> possibly Dunn as well isn't too shabby a pace attack.

>>However Durham could put out a very strong side too if all their
>>players were available, Hants too but their batting looks a little weak.
>>
>>Wonder if both Somerset and Lancs have been told to play Bash and
>>Hartley as often
>>as possible in the CC and how Lyons arrival will affect selection?
>>But as usual it looks wet and windy everywhere for at least the first 2 days.
>>
>>mike

> Yes, a lot of draws I imagine.

Durham v Hampshire and Derbyshire v Gloucestershire both abandoned without a ball bowled - the first two abandoned matches in the CC since 2018, when there were also two, though those were not simultaneous.

The last time two simultaneous CC matches were abandoned without a ball bowled was 26-29 April 2012. Durham (away to Surrey) and Gloucestershire (home v Glamorgan) were involved then too.

Re: County Championship

<54f1f927a2dd116a81909e7c67c91a94@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30008&group=uk.sport.cricket#30008

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 22:04:22 +0000
 by: miked - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 22:04 UTC

dnorth wrote:

> John Hall wrote:

>> In message <19e8f599df2b543bccc0f7dc19415761@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>>starts today.
>>>Still see Surrey as the strongest county [must be the richest too now]
>>>since they will have [barring injury] Pope Foakes Lawrence until July,
>>>plus a choice
>>>of seamers from Roach Atkinson Joverton Lawes Clark Worral Abbot as
>>>well as Jordan
>>>and Topley [although they prob wont play much FC cricket], even if
>>>Curran misses
>>>most of their CC games again.

>> Atkinson is missing today's game, as England are managing his workload,
>> even though I don't think he's bowled a ball in anger since the WC in
>> November.

that does seem rsther over protective, i spose they want him def in the T20 WC,
and theyr afariad of the dreaded stress fracture syndrome striking again,
maybe hes been through that already.

>>Worrall is also missing, with a neck strain, and I don't think
>> Abbot has arrived yet. Still Roach, Clark, J. Overton, Lawes and
>> possibly Dunn as well isn't too shabby a pace attack.

the weather put paid to what might have been an interesting matchup.

>> Yes, a lot of draws I imagine.

only 1 result but some interesting perfs so early in the season.

Kashif ali, 100 in each innings of the 1st cc match of the season,
probably emulating WG or some other great of yesteryear. Is he
by chance a relation on Moeen? Both Glam and Msex score 600+ first
time out, early for high scores! And a 300 and 200 in the same match.
Brook back to his old ways already. Meanwhile at chelmsford something
more in season, complete collapse by notts to cook the bowler who
took 10-73. But then a bizarre twist, from BBC

"Essex now face an anxious wait to see if they will suffer a points deduction
after opener Feroze Khushi's bat failed an on-field dimensions check on Sunday
during their second innings. They could potentially lose all 16 points for a win,
if an offence is confirmed."

His bat must have been truly enormous to attract the attention of the umps.
Didnt they bring in this regulation becos some bod supposedly turned up with a bat
as wide as the wicket? or is that just a yarn from the ol days?

mike

Re: County Championship

<l7k795Fd99hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30009&group=uk.sport.cricket#30009

From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 07:58:44 +0100
 by: David North - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 06:58 UTC

On 08/04/2024 23:04, miked wrote:
> dnorth wrote:
>
>> John Hall wrote:
>
>>> In message <19e8f599df2b543bccc0f7dc19415761@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>>> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>
>>> Atkinson is missing today's game, as England are managing his
>>> workload, even though I don't think he's bowled a ball in anger since
>>> the WC in November.
>
> that does seem rsther over protective, i spose they want him def in the
> T20 WC,
> and theyr afariad of the dreaded stress fracture syndrome striking
> again, maybe hes been through that already.
>
>>> Worrall is also missing, with a neck strain, and I don't think Abbot
>>> has arrived yet. Still Roach, Clark, J. Overton, Lawes and possibly
>>> Dunn as well isn't too shabby a pace attack.
>
> the weather put paid to what might have been an interesting matchup.
>

>>> Yes, a lot of draws I imagine.
>

> only 1 result but some interesting perfs so early in the season.
>
> Kashif ali, 100 in each innings of the 1st cc match of the season,
> probably emulating WG or some other great of yesteryear.

Not Grace. The 3 FC matches in which he scored twin centuries were all
in August.

> Is he
> by chance a relation on Moeen?

Not AFAICS. Unlike Moeen, he was born in Pakistan. I see from his CI
profile that he has played for 6 different county 2nd XIs (and
Bedfordshire), which I suspect is a record.

> Both Glam and Msex score 600+ first
> time out, early for high scores! And a 300 and 200 in the same match.
> Brook back to his old ways already. Meanwhile at chelmsford something
> more in season, complete collapse by notts to cook the bowler who
> took 10-73. But then a bizarre twist, from BBC
>
> "Essex now face an anxious wait to see if they will suffer a points
> deduction after opener Feroze Khushi's bat failed an on-field dimensions
> check on Sunday during their second innings. They could potentially lose
> all 16 points for a win, if an offence is confirmed."
>
> His bat must have been truly enormous to attract the attention of the umps.
> Didnt they bring in this regulation becos some bod supposedly turned up
> with a bat
> as wide as the wicket? or is that just a yarn from the ol days?

It was a while ago.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/remembering-the-wide-bat-controversy-922607

--
David North

Re: County Championship

<R4H$ZGBVbQFmFwrc@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30010&group=uk.sport.cricket#30010

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:13:57 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:13 UTC

In message <54f1f927a2dd116a81909e7c67c91a94@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>dnorth wrote:
>
>> John Hall wrote:
>
>>> In message <19e8f599df2b543bccc0f7dc19415761@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>
>>> Atkinson is missing today's game, as England are managing his
>>>workload, even though I don't think he's bowled a ball in anger
>>>since the WC in November.
>
>that does seem rsther over protective, i spose they want him def in the T20 WC,
>and theyr afariad of the dreaded stress fracture syndrome striking
>again, maybe hes been through that already.

I think he missed most of the 2021 or 2022 season through injury, which
set back his development, but I don't know whether it was a stress
fracture or something else.

>>>Worrall is also missing, with a neck strain, and I don't think Abbot
>>>has arrived yet. Still Roach, Clark, J. Overton, Lawes and possibly
>>>Dunn as well isn't too shabby a pace attack.
>
>the weather put paid to what might have been an interesting matchup.

Yes, it's unfortunate. Judging by the scorecard, it looks like the pitch
was turning square, which I something I certainly hadn't expected at
this point in the season.

>>> Yes, a lot of draws I imagine.
>

>only 1 result but some interesting perfs so early in the season.

Yep.

>Kashif ali, 100 in each innings of the 1st cc match of the season,
>probably emulating WG or some other great of yesteryear.

No idea, but I expect David does. :)

> Is he
>by chance a relation on Moeen?

I don't think so, and of course it's a very common name.

> Both Glam and Msex score 600+ first
>time out, early for high scores! And a 300 and 200 in the same match.
>Brook back to his old ways already. Meanwhile at chelmsford something
>more in season, complete collapse by notts to cook the bowler who
>took 10-73.

If the writer in my newspaper is to be believed, the match was at Trent
Bridge, though I too thought it had been at Chelmsford.

> But then a bizarre twist, from BBC
>
>"Essex now face an anxious wait to see if they will suffer a points
>deduction after opener Feroze Khushi's bat failed an on-field
>dimensions check on Sunday during their second innings. They could
>potentially lose all 16 points for a win, if an offence is confirmed."
>
>His bat must have been truly enormous to attract the attention of the umps.

I think they measure all the bats nowadays, and presumably his bat
failed to pass through the gauge. I imagine the extra width must have
been marginal, or it would have been noticed earlier, which raises the
question of why they aren't measured before the match so that an illegal
bat can be replaced. I imagine Khushi won't be best pleased with
whichever firm made the bat.

Essex will be very unlucky if they lose all their points, as it's hard
to see how it can have affected the result of the match.

>Didnt they bring in this regulation becos some bod supposedly turned up
>with a bat
>as wide as the wicket? or is that just a yarn from the ol days?
>mike

IIRC the earliest code of the Laws in 1744 made no mention of the bat's
width, but during the latter half of the 18th century an enterprising
batsman turned up with a bat as wide as the wicket. ISTR that the
opposition players forcibly seized it and cut it down to a more
reasonable size. Shortly after that, a limit on the bat width was added
to the Laws.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: County Championship

<uv33pe$5c2u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30011&group=uk.sport.cricket#30011

From: anw@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 11:03:26 +0100
 by: Andy Walker - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:03 UTC

On 09/04/2024 10:13, John Hall wrote:
> If the writer in my newspaper is to be believed, the match was at
> Trent Bridge, though I too thought it had been at Chelmsford.

It was indeed at TB. I couldn't go, but my daughter, her partner
and their new offspring did, and sent me photos to prove it. We had four
days of rain overnight and dry [and so play] all day, luckily. Or not, in
view of the result. It was slightly weird that so many other matches, not
a million miles from TB, got rained off.

It does seem ridiculously early for a full-blown start to the season.
I suppose a combination of global warming, world-wide expansion of cricket,
pressures from the more commercial matches [esp T20] and better drainage
makes it possible. Any bets on who will be first to complete 1000 runs in
April? [F-c and UK only of course, else I expect it's already been done
somewhere.]

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music

Re: County Championship

<sayc0lAuKWFmFwvY@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30013&group=uk.sport.cricket#30013

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:45:50 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:45 UTC

In message <uv33pe$5c2u$1@dont-email.me>, Andy Walker <anw@cuboid.co.uk>
writes
>On 09/04/2024 10:13, John Hall wrote:
>> If the writer in my newspaper is to be believed, the match was at
>> Trent Bridge, though I too thought it had been at Chelmsford.
>
> It was indeed at TB. I couldn't go, but my daughter, her partner
>and their new offspring did, and sent me photos to prove it. We had four
>days of rain overnight and dry [and so play] all day, luckily. Or not, in
>view of the result. It was slightly weird that so many other matches, not
>a million miles from TB, got rained off.
>
> It does seem ridiculously early for a full-blown start to the season.
>I suppose a combination of global warming, world-wide expansion of cricket,
>pressures from the more commercial matches [esp T20] and better drainage
>makes it possible. Any bets on who will be first to complete 1000 runs in
>April?

I was wondering if that might now be a possibility. Northeast is
certainly off to an excellent start.

> [F-c and UK only of course, else I expect it's already been done
>somewhere.]

So long as you restrict it to f-c, I don't suppose it has been done
anywhere. Outside England, I think not enough f-c cricket has ever been
played, and I believe that apart from members of tourist teams (back
when they played a lot more matches than they now do) even 1,000 runs
in a whole season has been fairly rare.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: County Championship

<1c6f8d3a2b0fdd76a95b2f54f7f7d2bd@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30014&group=uk.sport.cricket#30014

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 22:03:55 +0000
 by: miked - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 22:03 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <54f1f927a2dd116a81909e7c67c91a94@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>dnorth wrote:
>>
>>> John Hall wrote:
>>
>>Brook back to his old ways already. Meanwhile at chelmsford something
>>more in season, complete collapse by notts to cook the bowler who
>>took 10-73.

> If the writer in my newspaper is to be believed, the match was at Trent
> Bridge, though I too thought it had been at Chelmsford.

yes my mistake. I notice that Cook 26 has 275 FC wkts at about 19, must
be 1 of the best records of current CC english players. If he can still
run through sides with the kookabura ball, maybe stokes & co should
take notice, especially as Robbos fitness is still an issue.

>> But then a bizarre twist, from BBC
>>
>>"Essex now face an anxious wait to see if they will suffer a points
>>deduction after opener Feroze Khushi's bat failed an on-field
>>dimensions check on Sunday during their second innings. They could
>>potentially lose all 16 points for a win, if an offence is confirmed."
>>
>>His bat must have been truly enormous to attract the attention of the umps.

> I think they measure all the bats nowadays, and presumably his bat
> failed to pass through the gauge. I imagine the extra width must have
> been marginal, or it would have been noticed earlier, which raises the
> question of why they aren't measured before the match so that an illegal
> bat can be replaced. I imagine Khushi won't be best pleased with
> whichever firm made the bat.

seems rather odd that he was allowed to bat 2x with it before they noticed, and
as he only made about 50 in the match and essex won by 200+, it wasnt really a
factor. But i think durham got docked 10 pts once, when oz maddinson was found to
have used an oversized bat, and i dont think he made any runs with it!

mike

Re: County Championship

<033cba46cb7baca712ca10af04736227@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30015&group=uk.sport.cricket#30015

From: usenet@lanefarm.plus.com (dnorth)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 13:22:59 +0000
 by: dnorth - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 13:22 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <54f1f927a2dd116a81909e7c67c91a94@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>dnorth wrote:

>>Kashif ali, 100 in each innings of the 1st cc match of the season,
>>probably emulating WG or some other great of yesteryear.

> No idea, but I expect David does. :)

Afraid not. There's a list of twin hundreds here, but it's very long and only gives the season, not the exact date, so it's difficult to narrow it down:

https://stats.acscricket.com/Records/First_Class/Overall/Batting/Century_in_Each_Innings_by_Player.html

>> Is he
>>by chance a relation on Moeen?

> I don't think so, and of course it's a very common name.

>> Both Glam and Msex score 600+ first
>>time out, early for high scores! And a 300 and 200 in the same match.
>>Brook back to his old ways already. Meanwhile at chelmsford something
>>more in season, complete collapse by notts to cook the bowler who
>>took 10-73.

> If the writer in my newspaper is to be believed, the match was at Trent
> Bridge, though I too thought it had been at Chelmsford.

>> But then a bizarre twist, from BBC
>>
>>"Essex now face an anxious wait to see if they will suffer a points
>>deduction after opener Feroze Khushi's bat failed an on-field
>>dimensions check on Sunday during their second innings. They could
>>potentially lose all 16 points for a win, if an offence is confirmed."
>>
>>His bat must have been truly enormous to attract the attention of the umps.

> I think they measure all the bats nowadays,

The report says that it was on-field during the innings, so presumably it wasn't routine (unless they do random checks).

> and presumably his bat
> failed to pass through the gauge. I imagine the extra width must have
> been marginal, or it would have been noticed earlier, which raises the
> question of why they aren't measured before the match so that an illegal
> bat can be replaced.

If they measured them before the match, unless they checked every bat in every player's bag, how could they be sure that no-one had used a bat that hadn't been checked?

Re: County Championship

<GGeuaPAGJtFmFw6H@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30016&group=uk.sport.cricket#30016

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 18:54:14 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 17:54 UTC

In message <033cba46cb7baca712ca10af04736227@www.novabbs.com>, dnorth
<usenet@lanefarm.plus.com> writes
>John Hall wrote:
<snip>

>> and presumably his bat failed to pass through the gauge. I imagine
>>the extra width must have been marginal, or it would have been
>>noticed earlier, which raises the question of why they aren't
>>measured before the match so that an illegal bat can be replaced.
>
>If they measured them before the match, unless they checked every bat
>in every player's bag, how could they be sure that no-one had used a
>bat that hadn't been checked?

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. With the number of bats that
players have in their bags nowadays, it would be a monumental task to
measure them all, so I suppose an occasional on-field spot-check is the
only practical way of doing it.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: County Championship

<5e10766a6960f527b4128f713408687f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30018&group=uk.sport.cricket#30018

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:26:46 +0000
 by: miked - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:26 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <033cba46cb7baca712ca10af04736227@www.novabbs.com>, dnorth
> <usenet@lanefarm.plus.com> writes
>>John Hall wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>>> and presumably his bat failed to pass through the gauge. I imagine
>>>the extra width must have been marginal, or it would have been
>>>noticed earlier, which raises the question of why they aren't
>>>measured before the match so that an illegal bat can be replaced.
>>
>>If they measured them before the match, unless they checked every bat
>>in every player's bag, how could they be sure that no-one had used a
>>bat that hadn't been checked?

> Good point. I hadn't thought of that. With the number of bats that
> players have in their bags nowadays, it would be a monumental task to
> measure them all, so I suppose an occasional on-field spot-check is the
> only practical way of doing it.

apparantly today kushy was bowled 2nd ball not playing a shot, so his
smaller bat didnt come into it, but lovely weather saw more impressive
scores eg Durham inserted warwicks who made 490-1 off 96. Atkinson
finally got a bowl after about 6 months, and somerset collapsed from
196-1 to 216-8. Robbo was rested by sussex, whether this is by order
of the ECB or his backs gone again i dunno. I didnt realise that Farbrace
[sussex coach] is his stepfather.

mike

Re: County Championship

<987599dba4b329a6177de0a2f118ae7f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30019&group=uk.sport.cricket#30019

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:51:08 +0000
 by: miked - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:51 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <2f1d8f021f05e7214fbdf5fdd15b0b61@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> OT does have a rep in the past for spin, but in april? Also i see the
>>BBC think lawrence is a leg spinner. he isnt
>>is he? i've only seen him bowl once, and his action is so odd
>>i couldnt say, but officially i thought hes down as an offie.

> ISTR there was an argument with RH a year or so ago about which he
> bowled. Playfair has him listed as a leggie, whereas ESPN's report on
> yesterday's play calls him an offie.

its the steel and lawrence show again, this time at the oval. hes got
so good hes opening the bowling and its still early april! crazy stuff.
Bash though could only snare 1 wkt in 36 overs.

>>Similarly at Lords; everyone knows how weak msex batting is, so do they
>>prep a road of roads? And then put Glamorgan in? Cap Northeast
>>filled his boots as they say. Some are blaming the kookabura ball
>>already.

> It must be a factor, I would think. Whether one should say blame or
> credit is a moot point. If it makes "dibbly-dobbly" seamers less
> effective, which seems to be the object of the trial, then that may be a
> good thing.

apparently the kball goes soft after 10-20 overs [didnt seem that way
when england were last down under for the ashes]. OTOH might it allow a
lot of ordinary batters to post some gigantic scores? When the likes
of abbas and abbot go for 1-180 in april, seems it might have gone
too far towards the batters. Spinners seem to be more successful
despite the wet weather we've had.

Trivia time- Durham made 517 and then had to follow on. Whats the
highest score and still following on?

mike

Re: County Championship

<l83td1Fo69nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30020&group=uk.sport.cricket#30020

From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 06:48:17 +0100
 by: David North - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 05:48 UTC

On 14/04/2024 21:51, miked wrote:

> Trivia time- Durham made 517 and then had to follow on. Whats the
> highest score and still following on?

I could not find the answer to that, but:

- it's less than 600
- the highest in a Test is 454 by India v WI (631) at Delhi in 1948/49
- no team has made 500+, followed on and lost, so that's a first that
Durham will want to avoid today.

--
David North

Re: County Championship

<EbbICRBqLPHmFwLY@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30021&group=uk.sport.cricket#30021

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:27:06 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 09:27 UTC

In message <987599dba4b329a6177de0a2f118ae7f@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>apparently the kball goes soft after 10-20 overs [didnt seem that way
>when england were last down under for the ashes]. OTOH might it allow a
>lot of ordinary batters to post some gigantic scores? When the likes
>of abbas and abbot go for 1-180 in april, seems it might have gone
>too far towards the batters.

Yes, it reminds me of 1990, the first season of some 4-day Championship
matches, when some groundsmen went overboard in producing pitches that
would ensure a match lasted for most of the allotted time. In
particular, I remember a match at The Oval where Surrey made 707 and
Lancashire replied with 963, Fairbrother making a triple ton.

> Spinners seem to be more successful
>despite the wet weather we've had.

Yep. For my own county of Surrey, Steel and Lawrence have had an
unexpected degree of success. And I saw that Bashir in the current match
bowled thirty overs in Surrey's first innings and, though he only took
one wicket, only went at two an over. RH would have been pleased - or at
least he would have been had Bashir's ethnicity been different!

>Trivia time- Durham made 517 and then had to follow on. Whats the
>highest score and still following on?

Dunno. I know that Essex once scored 597 and still managed to lose by 9
wickets, but on that occasion they batted first:

https://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1900S/1904/ENG_LOCAL/CC/DERBY_ESSEX_CC_18-20JUL1904.html
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: County Championship

<94961594c2e25c3cba77a800d97ee17f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30022&group=uk.sport.cricket#30022

From: usenet@lanefarm.plus.com (dnorth)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 12:50:09 +0000
 by: dnorth - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 12:50 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <987599dba4b329a6177de0a2f118ae7f@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>apparently the kball goes soft after 10-20 overs [didnt seem that way
>>when england were last down under for the ashes]. OTOH might it allow a
>>lot of ordinary batters to post some gigantic scores? When the likes
>>of abbas and abbot go for 1-180 in april, seems it might have gone
>>too far towards the batters.

> Yes, it reminds me of 1990, the first season of some 4-day Championship
> matches,

Actually, those started in 1988.

> when some groundsmen went overboard in producing pitches that
> would ensure a match lasted for most of the allotted time.

That was the year when they reduced the height of the seam drastically, which was a major factor. ISTR that it was also very hot, at least in the second half of the season, when the Indians were touring.

> In
> particular, I remember a match at The Oval where Surrey made 707 and
> Lancashire replied with 963, Fairbrother making a triple ton.

It was only 863.

Re: County Championship

<df7d63f904c46d3f792d929a7b3a78f9@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30023&group=uk.sport.cricket#30023

From: usenet@lanefarm.plus.com (dnorth)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:02:15 +0000
 by: dnorth - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:02 UTC

There have been 6 double-centuries (including one triple) in the CC so far this season, the same number as in the whole of last season!

Re: County Championship

<TGTxUGBetUHmFw4F@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30024&group=uk.sport.cricket#30024

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 16:44:30 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 15:44 UTC

In message <94961594c2e25c3cba77a800d97ee17f@www.novabbs.com>, dnorth
<usenet@lanefarm.plus.com> writes
>John Hall wrote:
>
>> In message <987599dba4b329a6177de0a2f118ae7f@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>>apparently the kball goes soft after 10-20 overs [didnt seem that way
>>>when england were last down under for the ashes]. OTOH might it allow a
>>>lot of ordinary batters to post some gigantic scores? When the likes
>>>of abbas and abbot go for 1-180 in april, seems it might have gone
>>>too far towards the batters.
>
>> Yes, it reminds me of 1990, the first season of some 4-day
>>Championship matches,
>
>Actually, those started in 1988.
>
>> when some groundsmen went overboard in producing pitches that would
>>ensure a match lasted for most of the allotted time.
>
>That was the year when they reduced the height of the seam drastically,
>which was a major factor. ISTR that it was also very hot, at least in
>the second half of the season, when the Indians were touring.
>
>> In particular, I remember a match at The Oval where Surrey made 707
>>and Lancashire replied with 963, Fairbrother making a triple ton.
>
>It was only 863.

Thanks, David. By now I should know better than to rely on my fading
memory.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: County Championship

<1e7a1949b32f4d1558308bfa56cfe73d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30025&group=uk.sport.cricket#30025

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 21:53:38 +0000
 by: miked - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 21:53 UTC

David North wrote:

> On 14/04/2024 21:51, miked wrote:

>> Trivia time- Durham made 517 and then had to follow on. Whats the
>> highest score and still following on?

> I could not find the answer to that, but:

> - it's less than 600
> - the highest in a Test is 454 by India v WI (631) at Delhi in 1948/49
> - no team has made 500+, followed on and lost, so that's a first that
> Durham will want to avoid today.

Achieved thanks to Potty who made 149, and although the weather has been
a factor in these first 2 rounds, 1 win from 16 is pretty poor. I think
we'll see a lot of high scoring draws this summer.

trivia test again - warwicks made 490-1 on the 1st day, is this a record
for runs in the CC on 1 day?

Also Lawrence opening the bowling and batting for surrey, been done many
a time i'm sure, but i couldnt think of anyone called dan/daniel who'd
had played for england before. Is there another?

mike

Re: County Championship

<88b61f95a0675685140d85c0ca4c5064@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30026&group=uk.sport.cricket#30026

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 22:33:27 +0000
 by: miked - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 22:33 UTC

miked wrote:

> David North wrote:

>> On 14/04/2024 21:51, miked wrote:

>>> Trivia time- Durham made 517 and then had to follow on. Whats the
>>> highest score and still following on?

>> I could not find the answer to that, but:

>> - it's less than 600
>> - the highest in a Test is 454 by India v WI (631) at Delhi in 1948/49
>> - no team has made 500+, followed on and lost, so that's a first that
>> Durham will want to avoid today.

i looked up when derbys made 801-8 [after being 0-2 in caddicks 1st over!]
somerset made 530 and had to follow on. dunno if thats the record. i remember
that leics last yr lost to glamorgan by an innings despite making nearly 600,
but they batted first.

mike

Re: County Championship

<SWLxQ0A8wkHmFwZP@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30029&group=uk.sport.cricket#30029

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 11:00:28 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 10:00 UTC

In message <1e7a1949b32f4d1558308bfa56cfe73d@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>David North wrote:
>
>> On 14/04/2024 21:51, miked wrote:
>
>>> Trivia time- Durham made 517 and then had to follow on. Whats the
>>> highest score and still following on?
>
>> I could not find the answer to that, but:
>
>> - it's less than 600
>> - the highest in a Test is 454 by India v WI (631) at Delhi in 1948/49
>> - no team has made 500+, followed on and lost, so that's a first that
>>Durham will want to avoid today.
>
>Achieved thanks to Potty who made 149, and although the weather has been
>a factor in these first 2 rounds, 1 win from 16 is pretty poor. I think
>we'll see a lot of high scoring draws this summer.

I'm not sure how many rounds of matches are using the Kookaburra ball,
but I think it's only three or four. They may be back to the Dukes ball
next week, in which case I imagine things will be very different. I
suppose the high scoring does point up the lack of high pace and
top-class spin bowling. No doubt most pitches are slow and lacking in
bounce this early in the season, which won't help if there's little seam
or swing to be had.

>trivia test again - warwicks made 490-1 on the 1st day, is this a record
>for runs in the CC on 1 day?

I'd be surprised if it was, given that a number of individual batsmen
have scored 300 in a day. I know in 1948 the touring Australians made
721 all out on the first day against Essex. I think Essex claimed that
they were the only side to bowl out Australia with a day!

>Also Lawrence opening the bowling and batting for surrey, been done many
>a time i'm sure, but i couldnt think of anyone called dan/daniel who'd
>had played for england before. Is there another?
>
>mike

I can't think of one. In fact the only other Dan/Daniel I could think of
who played Test cricket is NZ's Dan Vettori.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: County Championship

<78855d68e198de287862fbdf6e9fe324@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30030&group=uk.sport.cricket#30030

From: usenet@lanefarm.plus.com (dnorth)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:56:53 +0000
 by: dnorth - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:56 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <1e7a1949b32f4d1558308bfa56cfe73d@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>trivia test again - warwicks made 490-1 on the 1st day, is this a record
>>for runs in the CC on 1 day?

> I'd be surprised if it was, given that a number of individual batsmen
> have scored 300 in a day. I know in 1948 the touring Australians made
> 721 all out on the first day against Essex. I think Essex claimed that
> they were the only side to bowl out Australia with a day!

721 is the FC record. The CC record for both sides is 666 (Surrey 12-1 to 619-5d, Northants 59-2) at Northampton in 1920.

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1920S/1920/ENG_LOCAL/CC/NORTHANTS_SURREY_CC_25-27AUG1920.html

For one side, the CC record is also by Surrey - 645-4 v Hampshire at The Oval in 1909.

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1900S/1909/ENG_LOCAL/CC/SURREY_HANTS_CC_06-08MAY1909.html

https://stats.acscricket.com/Records/First_Class/Overall/Team/Most_Runs_in_Day_Both_Sides.html

>>Also Lawrence opening the bowling and batting for surrey, been done many
>>a time i'm sure, but i couldnt think of anyone called dan/daniel who'd
>>had played for england before. Is there another?
>>
>>mike

> I can't think of one. In fact the only other Dan/Daniel I could think of
> who played Test cricket is NZ's Dan Vettori.

Also Daniel Flynn (NZ), Dan Cullen (Aus), Danny Morrison (NZ), Dan Taylor (SA) ... and, of course, Wayne Daniel (WI), but no others for England.