To err is human, to forgive is against company policy.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

SubjectAuthor
* 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aJNugent
+* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aJNugent
|`* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aSimon Mason
| `- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aSimon Mason
|+- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed forSpike
|+* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
||+- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed forSpike
||`- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aJNugent
|`- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aJNugent
+* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aSimon Mason
|`- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aJNugent
+* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed forSpike
|`- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aJNugent
+* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed forSpike
|`- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aJNugent
+* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed forSpike
|`* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed forSpike
| +* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
| |`* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
| | `* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
| |  `- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed forSpike
| `- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aJNugent
+* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
| `* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed forSpike
|  `- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed forSpike
`* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aJNugent
 `* Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aSimon Mason
  +- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aJNugent
  `- Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing aswldx...@gmail.com

Pages:12
'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<acb4226d-6b61-405f-8556-81853c07e2cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30217&group=uk.rec.cycling#30217

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 08:39:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 15:39 UTC

An 'idiotic' drink-driving paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness has escaped being struck off.

Robert Woodruff has been allowed to keep his medical licence despite recklessly getting behind the wheel to gatecrash a female colleague's barbecue while off duty, killing Richard Goodwin, 56.

Veteran NHS paramedic Woodruff had been looking at his phone when he veered across the wrong side of the road and slammed into the father-of-five, in a 'catastrophic' collision.

Last year Woodruff, of Withernsea, East Yorkshire - who was then 36, was jailed for five years and four months, with a judge slamming him for causing 'unimaginable grief' to Mr Goodwin's family.

But now, at a Health and Care Professions Tribunal, a panel has allowed him to keep his licence - suspending him for 12 months rather than striking him off, meaning Woodruff could return as a medic after serving his prison sentence.

Although admitted he never wanted to return as a frontline paramedic, Woodruff does hope to take on a 'health and safety role in the offshore industry', when released from jail.

The HCPTS panel said it is not their job to 'punish' and that before the incident he 'dedicated his life to saving lives and not to wrecking them'.

Woodruff, from Yorkshire Ambulance Service, had been out drinking during the day on June 26, 2021, in Withernsea and downed 10 pints of Guinness.

During the evening, he decided to go to a barbecue at the home of a female paramedic despite not being invited and defied his wife's pleas not to get in a car, in what was described in court as a 'monumental lapse of judgement'.

In a 'totally unfit state' he then tried to drive his Nissan the seven miles and was in a 'hurry' so 'aggressively' tailgated another car as he tore down the road at dangerous speeds.

Mr Goodwin, a property developer, was dressed correctly and cycling correctly on the other side of the road and is thought to have died instantly when Woodruff ploughed into him.

The 56-year-old was carried about 230ft on the bonnet of the car before his horrifically injured body was found in undergrowth. He died at the scene.

A roadside breath test subsequently revealed Woodruff was more than double the drink drive limit, having earlier ignored requests from his wife not to drive home.

When Woodruff was jailed, it was heard 'the effects of that collision were catastrophic in their brutality' and Mr Goodwin suffered 'traumatic and catastrophic injuries'.

As well as being jailed, Woodruff was banned from driving for seven years and eight months.

At his latest HCPTS disciplinary hearing, Woodruff said he was 'not providing a defence to anything he had done' but said he was 'passionate about helping and caring for the public'.

A tribunal report said: 'He said he believed in rehabilitation and allowing people another chance and that he had support from family, friends and the local community, who are keen for him to keep his registration as a paramedic.

'He said that his references show that he is an excellent paramedic, as was supported by the Judge's sentencing remarks.

'He referred to his [barrister's] comment about how he has "dedicated his life to saving lives and not wrecking them".

'He said the criminal charge was not a true reflection of who he is as a person and as a professional.'

Woodruff said: '[I am] sincerely remorseful for everything I have done and the wider impact it has, on the family and also the public and everyone I served for.'

Concluding, the panel said: 'The offence of causing death by dangerous driving is very serious. The outcome all too painfully obvious.'

The panel decided to suspend him for 12 months rather than strike him off.

The panel said: 'There is no doubting the seriousness of the conviction in this case. However, as referred to above, it is not this panel's role to punish Woodruff for a second time, but rather to ensure public confidence is maintained in the paramedic profession and [its regulator].

'It is clear that his appalling behaviour must be marked so as to send out a message to him, the profession and the public about how seriously the panel views this conduct.

'However, in light of the specific circumstances of this case and the mitigation provided, the panel did not consider his conduct to be fundamentally incompatible with continued registration.

'He had demonstrated significant insight and was clearly willing, and had taken active steps to, resolve matters.

'Although it would be some time before he had completed his prison sentence, and thus be in a position to resume his practice, the panel did not consider it necessary to remove him from the Register.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12218487/Drink-driving-paramedic-jailed-killing-cyclist-downing-10-pints-escapes-struck-off.html

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<kfgkn6Faan0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30218&group=uk.rec.cycling#30218

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:53:12 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 15:53 UTC

TEN PINTS?

What did he think he was driving?

A chav-bike?

> An 'idiotic' drink-driving paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness has escaped being struck off.
> Robert Woodruff has been allowed to keep his medical licence despite recklessly getting behind the wheel to gatecrash a female colleague's barbecue while off duty, killing Richard Goodwin, 56.

Who would have benefited from his being banned from doing medical work
after his release?

Other than vindictive chav-cyclist pundits, I mean.

> Veteran NHS paramedic Woodruff had been looking at his phone when he veered across the wrong side of the road and slammed into the father-of-five, in a 'catastrophic' collision.
> Last year Woodruff, of Withernsea, East Yorkshire - who was then 36, was jailed for five years and four months, with a judge slamming him for causing 'unimaginable grief' to Mr Goodwin's family.
> But now, at a Health and Care Professions Tribunal, a panel has allowed him to keep his licence - suspending him for 12 months rather than striking him off, meaning Woodruff could return as a medic after serving his prison sentence.

And why not?

> [...]
> 'It is clear that his appalling behaviour must be marked so as to send out a message to him, the profession and the public about how seriously the panel views this conduct.
> 'However, in light of the specific circumstances of this case and the mitigation provided, the panel did not consider his conduct to be fundamentally incompatible with continued registration.
> 'He had demonstrated significant insight and was clearly willing, and had taken active steps to, resolve matters.
> 'Although it would be some time before he had completed his prison sentence, and thus be in a position to resume his practice, the panel did not consider it necessary to remove him from the Register.'

A very sensible decision. It's not as though the UK is awash with
dedicated and skilled medical staff, is it?

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<34a358a6-149d-4de5-85f6-fea4f42fbc9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30225&group=uk.rec.cycling#30225

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 09:34:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:34 UTC

Ontheromanwall, Rome, United Kingdom, about 4 hours ago

Absolutely incredible that a convicted killer will be out in two and a half years and the treating patients!!! Only in broken Britain.

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<kfgnd8Fao95U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30228&group=uk.rec.cycling#30228

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:39:05 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:39 UTC

> Ontheromanwall, Rome, United Kingdom, about 4 hours ago
>
> Absolutely incredible that a convicted killer will be out in two and a half years and the treating patients!!! Only in broken Britain.

So if you need urgent treatment and the only medic available has a past
conviction (for something completely unrelated to their work as medical
personnel), you'd rather be left to die.

So... why not have that message in an appropriate emergency warning
locket, worn all the time?

Or even perhaps tattooed on the soles of your feet?

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<a64877f5-84e1-4374-9163-f1636d1c42fdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30231&group=uk.rec.cycling#30231

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 09:46:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer2022@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:46 UTC

QUOTE: Although admitted he never wanted to return as a frontline paramedic, Woodruff does hope to take on a 'health and safety role in the offshore industry', when released from jail. ENDS

Hopefully he will fall into the North Sea and do us all a favour.

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<kfgpd1Fb17jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30233&group=uk.rec.cycling#30233

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for
Date: 21 Jun 2023 17:13:05 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:13 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer2022@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: Although admitted he never wanted to return as a frontline
> paramedic, Woodruff does hope to take on a 'health and safety role in the
> offshore industry', when released from jail. ENDS

> Hopefully he will fall into the North Sea and do us all a favour.

No comment necessary…

--
Spike

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<92d02dc3-96b9-411b-bd46-400247ed523cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30235&group=uk.rec.cycling#30235

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:18:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer2022@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:18 UTC

On Wednesday, 21 June 2023 at 17:34:58 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ontheromanwall, Rome, United Kingdom, about 4 hours ago
>
> Absolutely incredible that a convicted killer will be out in two and a half years and the treating patients!!! Only in broken Britain.

Now reported on road.cc

https://road.cc/content/news/paramedic-who-killed-cyclist-avoids-being-struck-302033

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<7cda38c4-eac2-474e-93a7-cae14e12cff4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30237&group=uk.rec.cycling#30237

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:27:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer2022@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:27 UTC

chrisonatrike | 5857 posts | 3 min ago
0 likes

I'm not sure whether he should practice again but surely we should give serious consideration to him never driving again?

Unfortunately that sets up a familiar dilemma. He's clearly behaved in a way pretty incompatible with due care for others. Incredibly selfishly and FWIW as a 36-year old - he's not 16. But comes the cry "but we need doctors!" Shortly followed by "Oh, now he can practice again we must let the medics travel to save lives / reach patients!".

Currently I struggle imagine society / the law getting their heads round "you have a high-status responsible job" with "...but you're not allowed to drive".

Note: social status / job status is important here. Consider - would we really give e.g. a carer this kind of latitude? Yet they can be doing life-critical work.

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<ef4db5f1-ef40-4f52-8c74-2a32dae0b074n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30238&group=uk.rec.cycling#30238

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 11:51:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 18:51 UTC

On Wednesday, June 21, 2023 at 5:46:41 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: Although admitted he never wanted to return as a frontline paramedic, Woodruff does hope to take on a 'health and safety role in the offshore industry', when released from jail. ENDS
>
> Hopefully he will fall into the North Sea and do us all a favour.

MAYBE I WAS A LITTLE LENIENT!

dubwise | 95 posts | 21 min ago
0 likes
Other people have lost their jobs for far less crimes.
This scumbag should never be allowed to continue in this profession.
I hope Woodruff dies a slow agonising death.

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<kfh62kFcuioU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30240&group=uk.rec.cycling#30240

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 21 Jun 2023 20:49:24 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 20:49 UTC

> On Wednesday, June 21, 2023 at 5:46:41 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
>> QUOTE: Although admitted he never wanted to return as a frontline
>> paramedic, Woodruff does hope to take on a 'health and safety role in
>> the offshore industry', when released from jail. ENDS
>>
>> Hopefully he will fall into the North Sea and do us all a favour.
>
> MAYBE I WAS A LITTLE LENIENT!
>
> dubwise | 95 posts | 21 min ago
> 0 likes
> Other people have lost their jobs for far less crimes.
> This scumbag should never be allowed to continue in this profession.
> I hope Woodruff dies a slow agonising death.

It’s not hard to fathom why this post has zero likes.

--
Spike

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<c93bc317-2913-4618-9bcd-4d086a28fda5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30242&group=uk.rec.cycling#30242

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:59:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 20:59 UTC

AlsoSomniloquism replied to dubwise | 4205 posts | 1 hour ago
1 like

He has lost his 'current' job as he has been jailed for five years so won't be earning. The report above has just stated that the board in charge of his licence to be a paramedic have decided not to revoke that from him. Of course whether he can get a job as a paramedic once out of prison will be down to the places he applies to, if he even applies again.

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<kfhj88Fes5bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30243&group=uk.rec.cycling#30243

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 01:34:17 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 00:34 UTC

On 21/06/2023 05:46 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: Although admitted he never wanted to return as a frontline paramedic, Woodruff does hope to take on a 'health and safety role in the offshore industry', when released from jail. ENDS
>
> Hopefully he will fall into the North Sea and do us all a favour.

Perhaps he'll fall off a bridge?

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<kfhjdqFes5bU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30244&group=uk.rec.cycling#30244

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 01:37:15 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 00:37 UTC

On 21/06/2023 06:27 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> chrisonatrike | 5857 posts | 3 min ago
> 0 likes

> I'm not sure whether he should practice again but surely we should give serious consideration to him never driving again?
>
> Unfortunately that sets up a familiar dilemma. He's clearly behaved in a way pretty incompatible with due care for others. Incredibly selfishly and FWIW as a 36-year old - he's not 16. But comes the cry "but we need doctors!" Shortly followed by "Oh, now he can practice again we must let the medics travel to save lives / reach patients!".

Do you know how to spell and pronounce "vindictive"?

> Currently I struggle imagine society / the law getting their heads round "you have a high-status responsible job" with "...but you're not allowed to drive".

Well, you wouldn't be allowed to drive if you'd never learned (not that
it stops a lot of totally-unqualified chav-cyclists from impersonating
drivers, of course).

> Note: social status / job status is important here. Consider - would we really give e.g. a carer this kind of latitude? Yet they can be doing life-critical work.

You believe that night-shift cleaning operatives are of the highest
socio-economic status, don't you?

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<kfhji0Fes5bU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30245&group=uk.rec.cycling#30245

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 01:39:29 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 00:39 UTC

On 21/06/2023 07:51 pm, swldx...@gmail.com...

.... deceitfully pretending to answer his own posts mad under a different
ID, said:

> On Wednesday, June 21, 2023 at 5:46:41 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

>> QUOTE: Although admitted he never wanted to return as a frontline paramedic, Woodruff does hope to take on a 'health and safety role in the offshore industry', when released from jail. ENDS
>> Hopefully he will fall into the North Sea and do us all a favour.
>
> MAYBE I WAS A LITTLE LENIENT!

MAYBE YOU'RE A LITTLE TURD !

On immediate reflection, that's more likely.

> dubwise | 95 posts | 21 min ago
> 0 likes
> Other people have lost their jobs for far less crimes.
> This scumbag should never be allowed to continue in this profession.

Why not?

> I hope Woodruff dies a slow agonising death.

Yes... little turd. That's you.

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<fb88b09b-e8fb-401b-8843-97ce9824828en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30248&group=uk.rec.cycling#30248

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:53:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 04:53 UTC

muhasib | 239 posts | 5 hours ago
0 likes

The only way I would wish this individual to contribute to society as a paramedic again would be as a cycle responder; could the Tribunal have recommended this as the sole outcome to keeping his registration and indeed encourage Mr Woodruff to pursue as a practical demonstration of rehabilitation being more than just his platitudes spoken to the Tribunal?

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<kfib73Fib9gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30255&group=uk.rec.cycling#30255

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Jun 2023 07:23:15 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 07:23 UTC

> muhasib | 239 posts | 5 hours ago
> 0 likes
>
> The only way I would wish this individual to contribute to society as a
> paramedic again would be as a cycle responder; could the Tribunal have
> recommended this as the sole outcome to keeping his registration and
> indeed encourage Mr Woodruff to pursue as a practical demonstration of
> rehabilitation being more than just his platitudes spoken to the Tribunal?

I wonder why this post had zero likes…not…

--
Spike

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<d92d455a-69a2-43bd-a3cc-e66f1e2e9ecen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30258&group=uk.rec.cycling#30258

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 01:58:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:58 UTC

EraserBike | 13 posts | 1 hour ago
1 like

Common theme in a lot of these stories is a Judge who seems like they're passing a sentence reluctantly and talk about how the killer is a really great guy who just had a bad day. No. This man probably drove drunk regularly and in the end he killed someone. Should be done for manslaughter and put away for a much longer time, never allowed to drive again and certainly not given a chance for a respected career. Judges in this country are a sick joke.

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<kfir1oFkmumU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30267&group=uk.rec.cycling#30267

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Jun 2023 11:53:28 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 11:53 UTC

> EraserBike | 13 posts | 1 hour ago
> 1 like
>
> Common theme in a lot of these stories is a Judge who seems like they're
> passing a sentence reluctantly and talk about how the killer is a really
> great guy who just had a bad day. No. This man probably drove drunk
> regularly and in the end he killed someone. Should be done for
> manslaughter and put away for a much longer time, never allowed to drive
> again and certainly not given a chance for a respected career. Judges in
> this country are a sick joke.

Piling supposition on supposition is a simple way of getting the answer you
want.

--
Spike

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<a7770433-1eab-4f92-8aa2-09fd0d9ffa47n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30269&group=uk.rec.cycling#30269

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 06:01:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:01 UTC

He killed somone, while the sentence is significant at five years (in comparison to the usual slap on the wrist).. he should NEVER be allowed to hold a driving licence again. Owning a licence to drive a motor vehicle is a privilege not a right.

The panel ... said pre-incident Woodruff had "dedicated his life to saving lives and not to wrecking them".

So did Harold Shipman (presumably).

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<kfj0lhFlhu5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30273&group=uk.rec.cycling#30273

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Jun 2023 13:29:21 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:29 UTC

> He killed somone, while the sentence is significant at five years (in
> comparison to the usual slap on the wrist).. he should NEVER be allowed
> to hold a driving licence again. Owning a licence to drive a motor
> vehicle is a privilege not a right.
>
> The panel ... said pre-incident Woodruff had "dedicated his life to
> saving lives and not to wrecking them".
>
> So did Harold Shipman (presumably).

Very revealing that you conflate (look it up) a tragic one-off error with a
psychotic killing spree. Have you stopped (dreadful word for a cyclist) to
think what drove (dreadful word for a cyclist) you to do that?

--
Spike

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<kfj12jFlj7sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30274&group=uk.rec.cycling#30274

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 14:36:21 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:36 UTC

On 22/06/2023 05:53 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> muhasib | 239 posts | 5 hours ago
> 0 likes
>
> The only way I would wish this individual to contribute to society as a paramedic again would be as a cycle responder;

That doesn't matter in the slightest. The decision(s) will not be yours
to make.

Does that irritate you?

> could the Tribunal have recommended this as the sole outcome to keeping his registration and indeed encourage Mr Woodruff to pursue as a practical demonstration of rehabilitation being more than just his platitudes spoken to the Tribunal?

Why should they have done so?

What business of theirs (let alone yours) would it be?

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<kfj15cFlj7sU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30275&group=uk.rec.cycling#30275

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 14:37:50 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:37 UTC

On 22/06/2023 09:58 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> EraserBike | 13 posts | 1 hour ago
> 1 like
>
> Common theme in a lot of these stories is a Judge who seems like they're passing a sentence reluctantly and talk about how the killer is a really great guy who just had a bad day. No. This man probably drove drunk regularly and in the end he killed someone. Should be done for manslaughter and put away for a much longer time, never allowed to drive again and certainly not given a chance for a respected career. Judges in this country are a sick joke.

Do people often remind you that you're a vindictive idiot?

They ought to.

Nice screen name. It makes it clear what you would like to do to
pedestrians with the temerity to get in your way on the footway.

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<a2862ebb-da75-4e3d-bce0-239c01b79c3fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30283&group=uk.rec.cycling#30283

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:35:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 15:35 UTC

Agreed. There's no reason why rehabilitation can't work for all but a tiny number, provided the resources are available.

However, like millions of others, he can still contribute to society without ever having a driving licence again. Lifetime ban please.

And I'd like to see him make a public information video about the life he ended and the consequences both for him and for the victim's family. It should be shown to every driver found to have been dicking about with a phone while driving (and their phone to be smashed to pieces).

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<kfjb5fFn40jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30291&group=uk.rec.cycling#30291

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Jun 2023 16:28:31 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 16:28 UTC

> Agreed. There's no reason why rehabilitation can't work for all but a
> tiny number, provided the resources are available.
>
> However, like millions of others, he can still contribute to society
> without ever having a driving licence again. Lifetime ban please.
>
> And I'd like to see him make a public information video about the life he
> ended and the consequences both for him and for the victim's family. It
> should be shown to every driver found to have been dicking about with a
> phone while driving (and their phone to be smashed to pieces).

“Lifetime ban”
“make a public information video”
“shown to every driver”
“phone to be smashed to pieces”

Be careful about what you wish for, because the same might be visited upon
cyclists at some point in the future.

--
Spike

Re: 'Idiotic' drink-driving off-duty paramedic jailed for killing a cyclist after downing 10 pints of Guinness then veering on the wrong side of the road escapes being struck off

<ad4b875c-7259-4c76-b654-f699f477f945n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30296&group=uk.rec.cycling#30296

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 09:36:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 16:36 UTC

QUOTE: every driver found to have been dicking about with a phone while driving (and their phone to be smashed to pieces). ENDS

That's a driver's trick when they try and destroy evidence - usually in vain.