Tuesday After Lunch is the cosmic time of the week.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

SubjectAuthor
* ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: ThJNugent
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aSimon Mason
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aSimon Mason
|+- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: ThJNugent
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
|`* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
| +- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
| `* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|  +- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
|  +- Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: ThJNugent
|  +* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|  |`- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
|  `* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|   `* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|    +- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
|    `* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|     +* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: ThJNugent
|     |`- Re: ese bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked MilanSpike
|     `- Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
`- Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com

Pages:12
‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<8f9bda70-3d94-4c06-9c88-e0069fb1df13n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30745&group=uk.rec.cycling#30745

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 08:31:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: ‘Redesign_the_city_for_people’:_These_bike_activ
ists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan_
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 15:31 UTC

Through demonstrations and urban proposals, cycle activists are paving the way for a safer, less polluted and bike-friendly Milan.

Riding a bike on a sunny summer afternoon, Davide Branca arrives at a café next to Ponte della Ghisolfa in Milan, a two carriageways bridge where cars run past at high speed.

It has become a symbol of the fight of Milan’s cycling community which has been waiting for a bike lane since 2018.

The city has a long history of bike activism. Branca himself is a member of Massamarmocchi, a grassroots project which sees adults bring kids to school every morning in bike convoys.

But despite an increase in public transport and cycleways, the financial capital of Italy, known for its culture of speed and work, is often clogged up by traffic. It is the fifth most congested city in the world, the annual TomTom traffic index shows.

At the café, the noise from high-speed cars on the Ponte della Ghisolfa resonates. Leaning on a pole nearby is Ilaria Lenzi’s bike, her helmet placed on the handlebars.

She is a bike activist and campaigner for Clean Cities Campaign - a European coalition promoting zero-emission mobility in cities by 2030.

Sitting in the shade, Lenzi lists the typical dangers she faces while cycling: “Speed, little awareness from cars driving past very close, lack of visibility when cars are ‘wildly parked’ or lack of continuity of the bike lanes network.”

All it takes is a ride around the city to spot cars double parked, left on the sidewalks or blocking bike lanes with cyclists forced to dangerously slalom outside. It is a frustrating reality for Branca who moves around the city only by bike.

Italy has one of the highest motorisation rates in Europe. Research of the Clean Cities campaign shows that the government invests almost 100 times more in cars than in cycling.

Cities have an average of 2.8 km of cycleways for every 10,000 people. In Milan, the ratio is 2.1 km, lagging behind other major European cities like Ghent (20.2), Helsinki (19.8), Strasbourg (7.0) or Brussels (3.1).

New research from Politecnico of Milan led by Paolo Bozzuto - the “Atlas of the dead and badly injured cyclists in Italy” - shows cycling accidents are increasing in the city too.

But only 24.1 per cent of all bike accidents involve individual cyclists, while 48.77 per cent happen with cars. This rises to 68 per cent if also crashes with motorbikes and heavy transports are considered.

Milan-based cyclists, worried about what they call a safety emergency, have started protesting. Organised under the mobilisation campaign ‘Sai che puoi’, activists are urging the municipality to improve urban planning for a car-free future.

The movement has grown following numerous deaths of cyclists over the last few months, four of them just this year in collisions with heavy vehicles.

“Vulnerable users - pedestrians, cyclists, two-wheelers, including motorised vehicles - are most exposed to danger,” says Luca Studer, professor of Traffic and Road Safety at Milan Politecnico.

If we want sustainable mobility, we must protect these users, Studer points out.

“Cyclists are a strong community in Milan,” Branca says. Last November, 400 people stood along the bike lane in Viale Monza, one of the most used cycleways in the city.

Holding placards and lining up their bikes they formed a human barrier to protect cyclists from cars.

Then, they occupied the Ponte della Ghisolfa, creating the much awaited bike lane with their bodies and bikes.

The events spearheaded others in the city, with almost 1,500 people lying down with their bikes in Piazzale Loreto square after another cyclist was killed, and sparked dozens of similar demonstrations all over Italy.

Last week, a woman was killed by a cement mixer while cycling, sparking another protest in Piazzale Loreto.

The activists of ‘Sai che puoi’ have outlined a series of proposals for the municipality to take urgent measures and update citizens on their implementation.

They include a well-connected bike lanes network, constant monitoring of motorisation rate and pollution, car-free school streets, urban interventions supporting sustainable mobility, and 30km/h speed limits.

In January, Milan’s administration talked about introducing 30km/h speed limits. The activists claim it’s a political move which hasn’t been effective so far and are pushing for a real implementation of the measure through investments.

Milan wouldn’t be an isolated case. In 2021, Brussels slowed car speeds down to 30km/h, leaving only some major roads at 50km/h. The first results showed success, with a decrease in accidents and noise pollution, contradicting those who feared traffic would have increased.

The measure would also help the European Union’s goal of reducing road deaths to zero by 2050.

Speed limits of 30km/h would temper sudden acceleration and abrupt slowdowns, a pattern of city driving.

“During the rush hours, there are ‘speed hiccups’: cars go very fast and then they stop, and collisions increase”, Branca says, shaking his head. Despite an increase in people cycling in the city after the pandemic, he believes fear discourages many more from getting on their bikes.

“Having an accident with a car at 50 km/h means falling from the third floor, having it at 30 km/h means falling from the first,” Studer explains.

“Driving slower, you see what is going on around you. A car driving at 30km/h stops in less than half of the space.”

For Studer, 30km/h speed limits won’t be successful with just traffic signs and fines. It requires urban geometry interventions - wider sidewalks, trees, chicanes, bollards - and changes in attitudes from drivers that must become aware of the presence of cyclists. A cultural change that rewards slow mobility is needed too.

Overall, the idea is to veer towards an overhaul of the city space, making room for people.

The number of cars in Milan makes the coexistence between vehicles and vulnerable users complicated.

Data collected by “Sai che puoi” estimates that there are 297,000 regular on-street parking spaces and another 100,000 irregular ones. If in Milan there are 22 parking spaces for every 100 inhabitants - the figure is only seven for Barcelona and six for Paris.

“Cyclists are more exposed to imagine a different city because we see space differently,” says Lenzi.

An example of what fewer cars could mean is the European-wide “School Street” initiative of the Clean Cities Campaign. It closes roads around schools to traffic, prioritising walking and cycling - at least at school pick-up times - through tactical urbanism.

Working with other parents, Lenzi opened a car-free street at her kids’ school, with great success among the children.

What used to be a street with dozens of parking spots is now a colourful pedestrian area where kids play after school.

For the activists, a car-free city is also a change in habits which eventually will lead not only to less pollution and noise, but a safer and more sustainable city.

“The idea is redesigning the city for people,” Lenzi says as she leaves the café and jumps on her bike for her daily school run.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/07/02/redesign-the-city-for-people-these-bike-activists-are-fighting-for-space-in-car-choked-mil

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activ ists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgdkkmFouipU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30752&group=uk.rec.cycling#30752

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: ‘Redesign the city for
Date: 2 Jul 2023 15:49:42 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 15:49 UTC

TL;DR

Read all about it at the link…

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<5cc3daad-066a-4e1a-928d-60a1a119eb23n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30756&group=uk.rec.cycling#30756

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 09:11:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_‘Redesign_the_city_for_people’:_These_bike_a
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 16:11 UTC

QUOTE: All it takes is a ride around the city to spot cars double parked, left on the sidewalks or blocking bike lanes with cyclists forced to dangerously slalom outside. ENDS

Selfish gits doing what selfish gits do - plus ça change.

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike a ctivists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgdqumFpsvcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30763&group=uk.rec.cycling#30763

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Jul 2023 17:37:26 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 17:37 UTC

> QUOTE: All it takes is a ride around the city to spot cars double parked,
> left on the sidewalks or blocking bike lanes with cyclists forced to
> dangerously slalom outside. ENDS

> Selfish gits doing what selfish gits do - plus ça change.

Like this, you mean?

<https://metro.co.uk/2016/11/07/dozens-of-teen-cyclists-filmed-running-red-light-in-london-6240022/>

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<7606660e-9d4f-408d-925b-d034c8c75efcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30764&group=uk.rec.cycling#30764

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 11:04:55 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 18:04 UTC

QUOTE: The movement has grown following numerous deaths of cyclists over the last few months, four of them just this year in collisions with heavy vehicles. ENDS

No drunken signorinas from 15 years ago "mown down" by "speeding" cyclists then still being "mourned" all these years later by sick shroud waving hypocrites?

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike a ctivists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgdunhFqettU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30766&group=uk.rec.cycling#30766

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Jul 2023 18:41:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 18:41 UTC

> QUOTE: The movement has grown following numerous deaths of cyclists over
> the last few months, four of them just this year in collisions with heavy vehicles. ENDS

> No drunken signorinas from 15 years ago "mown down" by "speeding"
> cyclists then still being "mourned" all these years later by sick shroud waving hypocrites?

Here’s one from almost 5 years ago, then:

Sakine Cihan, 56, 28 August 2018
<https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/crime/21156347.dalston-crash-sakine-cihan-56-dies-hit-cyclist-kingsland-high-street/>

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<eebeebea-6c50-4153-8c5e-248621835418n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30768&group=uk.rec.cycling#30768

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 11:52:36 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 18:52 UTC

QUOTE: Through demonstrations and urban proposals, cycle activists are paving the way for a safer, less polluted and bike-friendly Milan.ENDS

Their bike hating gammons would be called "Parma hams" in Italy.

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike a ctivists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgdvp4FqjebU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30770&group=uk.rec.cycling#30770

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Jul 2023 18:59:48 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 18:59 UTC

> QUOTE: Through demonstrations and urban proposals, cycle activists are
> paving the way for a safer, less polluted and bike-friendly Milan.ENDS
>
> Their bike hating gammons would be called "Parma hams" in Italy.

But would they swivel?

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<49ab1a45-2ae1-46f1-af02-fcdd534fc162n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30773&group=uk.rec.cycling#30773

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 12:07:56 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer2022@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 19:07 UTC

QUOTE: The city has a long history of bike activism. Branca himself is a member of Massamarmocchi, a grassroots project which sees adults bring kids to school every morning in bike convoys. ENDS

The local far right puce-faced Mr Rospos will luckily still be in bed then sleeping off their Disaronno from the previous night.

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike a ctivists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kge0qcFqo57U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30775&group=uk.rec.cycling#30775

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Jul 2023 19:17:32 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 19:17 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer2022@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: The city has a long history of bike activism. Branca himself is a
> member of Massamarmocchi, a grassroots project which sees adults bring
> kids to school every morning in bike convoys. ENDS
>
> The local far right puce-faced Mr Rospos will luckily still be in bed
> then sleeping off their Disaronno from the previous night.

Any chance you could put that last sentence into English? TIA.

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<8e1210b5-6331-4f63-8c83-37182cc349b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30778&group=uk.rec.cycling#30778

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 12:29:10 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer2022@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 19:29 UTC

QUOTE: But only 24.1 per cent of all bike accidents involve individual cyclists, while 48.77 per cent happen with cars. ENDS

Remove the hazard - first rule of safety.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hierarchy/images/NIOSH_HOC_Main_508_photocredit-large.jpg?_=65855

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike a ctivists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kge7d4Frn5lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30780&group=uk.rec.cycling#30780

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Jul 2023 21:09:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 21:09 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer2022@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: But only 24.1 per cent of all bike accidents involve individual
> cyclists, while 48.77 per cent happen with cars. ENDS
>
> Remove the hazard - first rule of safety.

Quite right. Remove the cycles, and 0% of bike accidents will involve
individual cyclists, and 0% will happen with cars! Vision Zero
accomplished!

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<11784128-f601-4574-8114-702e543469ben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30781&group=uk.rec.cycling#30781

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 14:15:59 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 21:15 UTC

QUOTE: “Vulnerable users - pedestrians, cyclists, two-wheelers, including motorised vehicles - are most exposed to danger,” says Luca Studer, professor of Traffic and Road Safety at Milan Politecnico. ENDS

Here in the UK, the new HC puts cyclists and pedestrians at the top of the priority pyramid.
Motor vehicles come dead last.

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike a ctivists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgfdbuF2mpmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30785&group=uk.rec.cycling#30785

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 3 Jul 2023 07:57:50 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 07:57 UTC

> QUOTE: “Vulnerable users - pedestrians, cyclists, two-wheelers, including
> motorised vehicles - are most exposed to danger,” says Luca Studer,
> professor of Traffic and Road Safety at Milan Politecnico. ENDS
>
> Here in the UK, the new HC puts cyclists and pedestrians at the top of
> the priority pyramid.
> Motor vehicles come dead last.

QUOTE
Rule H2:

Cyclists should give way to pedestrians on shared use cycle tracks and to
horse riders on bridleways.

Only pedestrians may use the pavement. Pedestrians include wheelchair and
mobility scooter users.

Pedestrians may use any part of the road and use cycle tracks as well as
the pavement, unless there are signs prohibiting pedestrians.
ENDQUOTE

Do you remember the moron on the group that claimed that the Highway Code
was ‘silent’ on the rules for group riding? He might be interested in this:

QUOTE
People cycling in groups
The updated code explains that people cycling in groups:

should be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in
groups

can ride 2 abreast - and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger
groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders

People cycling are asked to be aware of people driving behind them and
allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or
stopping) when it’s safe to do so.
ENDQUOTE

JFTR:

Rule 64
You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A sect 129

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<0634a73a-f2a7-4db0-9353-b493153dbeb2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30787&group=uk.rec.cycling#30787

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 03:42:15 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 10:42 UTC

Germany was great last month and this is why:

https://i.redd.it/m61dwhwu4tx71.jpg

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike a ctivists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgfoc5F4bciU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30788&group=uk.rec.cycling#30788

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 3 Jul 2023 11:05:41 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 11:05 UTC

> Germany was great last month and this is why:
>
> https://i.redd.it/m61dwhwu4tx71.jpg

Have you sold your car yet?

What about your 7000-mile Tour de Europe? Doing it by bicycle ?

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike a ctivists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgfoc5F4bciU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30790&group=uk.rec.cycling#30790

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 3 Jul 2023 11:05:42 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 11:05 UTC

> Germany was great last month and this is why:
>
> https://i.redd.it/m61dwhwu4tx71.jpg

That’s one way of getting cyclists off the pavement!

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<b2099a2d-99d7-4baa-8ce0-cc64397ec57en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30792&group=uk.rec.cycling#30792

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 05:07:08 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 12:07 UTC

On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 11:42:17 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Germany was great last month and this is why:
>
> https://i.redd.it/m61dwhwu4tx71.jpg

The Netherlands are stunningly improved since I first visited in 1975.

https://substack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com/public/images/64607fd1-ccfc-47fd-a6b9-54d50a41c2f8_1280x720.png

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike a ctivists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgg48nF654gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30795&group=uk.rec.cycling#30795

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 3 Jul 2023 14:28:39 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 14:28 UTC

> On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 11:42:17 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Germany was great last month and this is why:
>>
>> https://i.redd.it/m61dwhwu4tx71.jpg
>
> The Netherlands are stunningly improved since I first visited in 1975.
>
> https://substack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com/public/images/64607fd1-ccfc-47fd-a6b9-54d50a41c2f8_1280x720.png

Comparing apples with oranges again…

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These chav activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgg4s9F6847U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30796&group=uk.rec.cycling#30796

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: Th
ese_chav_activists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:39:05 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 14:39 UTC

On 02/07/2023 05:11 pm, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

> QUOTE: All it takes is a ride around the city to spot cars double parked, left on the sidewalks or blocking bike lanes with chav-cyclists forced to dangerously slalom outside. ENDS

"forced"?

Rule 67 (for chav-cyclists):

"You should:

- look all around to make sure it is safe before ... pulling out to
overtake or to pass stationary vehicles, or [ ... ]

- take care when passing parked vehicles, leaving enough room (a door’s
width or 1 metre) to avoid being hit if a car door is opened, and
watch out for pedestrians stepping into your path

- be aware of traffic coming up behind you, including other cyclists,
and give a clear signal to show other road users what you intend to do
see ‘Signals to other road users’)"

IOW, no-one is "forced" to anything dangerous, let alone a "slalom".

Obey the rules. They apply to you biking chavs in particular. The one
above is aimed squarely at *you*.

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These chav activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgg4vjF6847U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30797&group=uk.rec.cycling#30797

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
ese_chav_activists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:40:51 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 14:40 UTC

On 02/07/2023 08:29 pm, Simon Mason [the Chief Chav] wrote:

> QUOTE: But only 24.1 per cent of all bike accidents involve individual cyclists, while 48.77 per cent happen with cars. ENDS
>
> Remove the hazard - first rule of safety.

Ban chav-bikes except on racetracks on private ground.

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These chav activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgg541F6847U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30798&group=uk.rec.cycling#30798

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
ese_chav_activists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:43:14 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 14:43 UTC

On 03/07/2023 01:07 pm, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

> On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 11:42:17 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

>> Germany was great last month and this is why:
>> https://i.redd.it/m61dwhwu4tx71.jpg
>
> The Netherlands are stunningly improved since I first visited in 1975.
> https://substack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com/public/images/64607fd1-ccfc-47fd-a6b9-54d50a41c2f8_1280x720.png

You are, as everyone knows, a soul-blackened liar.

Those images are not of the same street.

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<d201f7fb-cd8c-467a-803a-793a79376d74n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30803&group=uk.rec.cycling#30803

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 08:29:55 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:29 UTC

On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 1:07:10 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 11:42:17 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Germany was great last month and this is why:
> >
> > https://i.redd.it/m61dwhwu4tx71.jpg
> The Netherlands are stunningly improved since I first visited in 1975.

Even the air was foul and grey in thos days.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0H0hVtWIAYX14G?format=jpg&name=small

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<966713a1-e944-4cd1-86f7-06974e6e8b30n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30806&group=uk.rec.cycling#30806

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 08:36:03 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:36 UTC

On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 1:07:10 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 11:42:17 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Germany was great last month and this is why:
> >
> > https://i.redd.it/m61dwhwu4tx71.jpg
> The Netherlands are stunningly improved since I first visited in 1975.
>
> https://substack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com/public/images/64607fd1-ccfc-47fd-a6b9-54d50a41c2f8_1280x720.png

Even the air was foul and grey in those days.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0H0hVtWIAYX14G?format=jpg&name=small

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike a ctivists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kggal1F72vpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30810&group=uk.rec.cycling#30810

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 3 Jul 2023 16:17:37 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 16:17 UTC

> On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 1:07:10 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 11:42:17 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Germany was great last month and this is why:
>>>
>>> https://i.redd.it/m61dwhwu4tx71.jpg
>> The Netherlands are stunningly improved since I first visited in 1975.
>
> Even the air was foul and grey in thos days.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0H0hVtWIAYX14G?format=jpg&name=small

<groan>

It would be grey, in a monotone photograph. 🙄

--
Spike