"The Computer made me do it."

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

SubjectAuthor
* ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: ThJNugent
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aSimon Mason
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aSimon Mason
|+- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: ThJNugent
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
|`* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
| +- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
| `* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|  +- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
|  +- Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: ThJNugent
|  +* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|  |`- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
|  `* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|   `* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|    +- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
|    `* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|     +* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: ThJNugent
|     |`- Re: ese bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked MilanSpike
|     `- Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
+* Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: ‘Redesign the city forSpike
`- Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike aswldx...@gmail.com

Pages:12
Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<46ed8a79-702a-4240-8c85-362b1a80d927n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30815&group=uk.rec.cycling#30815

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 09:32:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_‘Redesign_the_city_for_people’:_These_bike_a
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 16:32 UTC

In 2025, the City of Amsterdam will introduce zero-emission zones for taxis, delivery and goods vehicles, mopeds, scooters and pleasure boats. This means that from 2025 on, all newly registered motor vehicles in these categories and all newly purchased pleasure boats will need to have zero-emission engines in order to enter these zones. To ensure this process goes smoothly, there will be transitional arrangements and exemptions for existing vehicles and vessels.

The City of Amsterdam’s plans for the transition process are outlined in the Uitvoeringsagenda Uitstootvrije Mobiliteit 2023-2026 (2023-2026 Implementation Plan for Emission-free Mobility).
Towards a more liveable and future-proof city

Amsterdam aims to eliminate emissions for all traffic and transport within the city. This will enable us to:

Improve air quality, since air pollutants like particulate matter (PM) and nitrogen dioxide (NO2) can cause health problems.
Help meet targets for reducing carbon emissions.

These aims were further developed into concrete goals and measures in the Clean Air Action Plan adopted by the College of Mayor and Alderpersons on 1 October 2019 and in the Amsterdam Climate Neutral Roadmap 2050.

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike a ctivists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kggjm4F8ee6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30820&group=uk.rec.cycling#30820

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: ‘Redesign the city for
Date: 3 Jul 2023 18:51:48 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 18:51 UTC

> In 2025, the City of Amsterdam will introduce zero-emission zones for
> taxis, delivery and goods vehicles, mopeds, scooters and pleasure boats.
> This means that from 2025 on, all newly registered motor vehicles in
> these categories and all newly purchased pleasure boats will need to have
> zero-emission engines in order to enter these zones. To ensure this
> process goes smoothly, there will be transitional arrangements and
> exemptions for existing vehicles and vessels.

The first thought that springs to mind is whether the barges that dredge
15,000 bicycles a year from Amsterdam’s canals will be zero-emission types?

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<8df76ea2-2cfa-402b-978c-ed23380d4653n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30823&group=uk.rec.cycling#30823

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 12:07:49 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:07 UTC

The low emission zone restricts mopeds and motorised bikes (brom- en snorfietsen) from 2010 or earlier that run on fossil fuels.

Rules from 2025

From 1 January 2025, only electric mopeds and motor scooters will be permitted in the zero-emissions zone.

This means that if you buy a new moped or motor scooter from 2025, it will have to be electric to use it anywhere in the built-up area of Amsterdam. There are transitional arrangements for older mopeds and motor scooters.

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgh5icFb1koU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30828&group=uk.rec.cycling#30828

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: Th
ese_bike_activists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 00:57:01 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 23:57 UTC

On 03/07/2023 08:07 pm, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

> The low emission zone restricts mopeds and motorised bikes (brom- en snorfietsen) from 2010 or earlier that run on fossil fuels.

> Rules from 2025
>
> From 1 January 2025, only electric mopeds and motor scooters will be permitted in the zero-emissions zone.
>
> This means that if you buy a new moped or motor scooter from 2025, it will have to be electric to use it anywhere in the built-up area of Amsterdam. There are transitional arrangements for older mopeds and motor scooters.

"There are transitional arrangements for older mopeds and motor scooters."

So it simply isn't true that "from 1 January 2025, only electric mopeds
and motor scooters will be permitted in the zero-emissions zone".

Why do you feel the need to tell such lies?

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<80438fac-d8b3-46a5-a69d-b16f62d6a70dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30830&group=uk.rec.cycling#30830

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 22:06:37 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 05:06 UTC

From 2025, the Dutch capital will allow only zero-emission taxis, vans, trucks, scooters, and mopeds to run in large parts of Amsterdam. The new rule will apply to vehicles that will be newly registered as of 2025, with an important exception.

Private passenger cars will remain exempt from the regulation until 2030, when Amsterdam reportedly wants to ban all fossil-fueled transport, in line with recommended air quality values of the World Health Organization. Also, Diesel passenger cars with emission classes up to and including four will no longer be allowed to enter the environmental zone from 2025. For taxis and rental cars, the city and companies agreed on an ICE ban from 2025 last April.

Moreover, the new regulation, now coming, is in addition to the existing low-emission zone in Amsterdam, including passenger cars, vans, trucks, buses, taxis, scooters, and mopeds.

As for the new ultra-low emission zones or “milieuzones”, they depend on the type of vehicle. The one largely defined by the A10 ring road will apply to taxis, vans, and trucks. Scooters and mopeds within built-up areas will be restricted in almost all of Amsterdam, while pleasure craft may run emission-free in the city centre.

The regulation also only applies to newly registered vehicles from 2025, and the city mentions transitional rules for existing cars but has yet to deliver details. The same goes for charging and hydrogen infrastructure, where the city only says they would add “many”.

What is certain is that there will be exemptions and scrappage schemes, and Amsterdam residents with low incomes will receive support. According to local media, the city has set aside one million euros. “Amsterdam residents with a petrol or diesel vehicle or vessel that falls under the new rules will soon receive a letter,” the city said.

To ensure that internal combustion vehicles do not enter the city’s newly established low-emission zones, the number plates of all vehicles will be read and checked. Those who do not comply will have to pay a fine. This is a system also followed in London, for example. Similar to the British capital, which has been gradually widening and tightening the rules, Amsterdam introduced the first environmental zone in 2007 and 2009 and started installing charging points. Public transport buses will run exhaust-free from 2025.

The Netherlands enabled municipalities to introduce zero or ultra-low emission zones for delivery and other vehicles in early 2021 and wants to be among the first countries to allow cities to ban ICE vehicles entirely.

Re: ese bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgi263Ff6l9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30835&group=uk.rec.cycling#30835

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: ese bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan
Date: 4 Jul 2023 08:05:23 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 08:05 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 03/07/2023 08:07 pm, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:
>
>> The low emission zone restricts mopeds and motorised bikes (brom- en
>> snorfietsen) from 2010 or earlier that run on fossil fuels.

>> Rules from 2025

>> From 1 January 2025, only electric mopeds and motor scooters will be
>> permitted in the zero-emissions zone.

> "There are transitional arrangements for older mopeds and motor scooters."

> So it simply isn't true that "from 1 January 2025, only electric mopeds
> and motor scooters will be permitted in the zero-emissions zone".

> Why do you feel the need to tell such lies?

“Matilda told such Dreadful Lies,
It made one Gasp and Stretch one's Eyes”😳

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<ebe7ba73-9803-4d56-bdbd-c0e9d37f4b2fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30837&group=uk.rec.cycling#30837

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 03:34:23 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 10:34 UTC

QUOTE: In addition to being the most expensive city for hotel rooms, Amsterdam is also among the top five cities in Europe with the cleanest air. Excellent public transport and lots of electric cars are two of the main reasons for its exalted position. The European Environmental Bureau compared the air quality of 25 European cities and Amsterdam earned its elevated ranking along with such other metropolises as Copenhagen, Berlin and Stockholm. ENDS

Good job the same body does not rank UK waterways anymore as they've all been wrecked by raw sewage.

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike a ctivists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgibd8FgiapU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30839&group=uk.rec.cycling#30839

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 4 Jul 2023 10:42:48 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 10:42 UTC

> QUOTE: In addition to being the most expensive city for hotel rooms,
> Amsterdam is also among the top five cities in Europe with the cleanest
> air. Excellent public transport and lots of electric cars are two of the
> main reasons for its exalted position. The European Environmental Bureau
> compared the air quality of 25 European cities and Amsterdam earned its
> elevated ranking along with such other metropolises as Copenhagen, Berlin
> and Stockholm. ENDS

Ever heard of ‘cherry picking’ when pushing data as part of an agenda?

That new ULEZ is doing its job well, today London is as polluted as
Amsterdam.

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<c6498427-e1ee-4839-8c99-00d24d7eb8c7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30844&group=uk.rec.cycling#30844

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 05:48:24 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 12:48 UTC

Low-emission zones for diesel-powered cars

As of 1 January 2020, national rules apply to municipalities that have low-emission zones, also known as environmental zones. In these zones municipalities may ban older diesel cars, lorries and buses that cause a lot of air pollution. Check the rules that apply in each municipality on the milieuzones.nl website (in Dutch).

Under the national rules, the emissions standard of your diesel car, van, lorry or coach determines if your vehicle is allowed to enter a low-emission zone. Diesel cars that are no more than 20 years old in 2020 and meet the Euro 3 emissions standard or higher are allowed in yellow low-emission zones. Diesel cars that meet the Euro 4 emissions standard or higher are allowed in the green zone. In 2020, these cars, lorries or buses will be 15 years old at most. You can check what emissions standard your vehicle meets on the milieuzones.nl website.

Cars, vans, coaches and lorries that run on any fuel other than diesel are allowed in all low-emission zones.
All new buses zero-emission from 2025

From 2025 all new public transport buses must be zero-emission. They will run on either electricity or hydrogen fuel, both generated from renewable sources like solar and wind, and cause significantly less air pollution. Central government, all provincial authorities and public transport companies signed an agreement stating those terms on 15 April 2016.

Local authorities can use low-emission zones to keep the most polluting lorries out of certain parts of their municipality, like the city centre.

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike a ctivists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<kgik35Fhr8kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30846&group=uk.rec.cycling#30846

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 4 Jul 2023 13:11:01 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 13:11 UTC

Amsterdam Rosengracht (in the Centrum area) is currently reading 88 for
PM2.5.

Amsterdam levels of pollution are the same as Warsaw, where few people ride
bicycles, there’s plenty of diesel vehicles about, and the power stations
run on coal. Whatever are the Dutch doing wrong?

51 -100 Moderate
Air quality is acceptable; however, for some pollutants there may be a
moderate health concern for a very small number of people who are unusually
sensitive to air pollution.
Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as
asthma, should limit prolonged outdoor exertion.

> Low-emission zones for diesel-powered cars
>
> As of 1 January 2020, national rules apply to municipalities that have
> low-emission zones, also known as environmental zones. In these zones
> municipalities may ban older diesel cars, lorries and buses that cause a
> lot of air pollution. Check the rules that apply in each municipality on
> the milieuzones.nl website (in Dutch).
>
> Under the national rules, the emissions standard of your diesel car, van,
> lorry or coach determines if your vehicle is allowed to enter a
> low-emission zone. Diesel cars that are no more than 20 years old in 2020
> and meet the Euro 3 emissions standard or higher are allowed in yellow
> low-emission zones. Diesel cars that meet the Euro 4 emissions standard
> or higher are allowed in the green zone. In 2020, these cars, lorries or
> buses will be 15 years old at most. You can check what emissions standard
> your vehicle meets on the milieuzones.nl website.
>
> Cars, vans, coaches and lorries that run on any fuel other than diesel
> are allowed in all low-emission zones.
> All new buses zero-emission from 2025
>
> From 2025 all new public transport buses must be zero-emission. They will
> run on either electricity or hydrogen fuel, both generated from renewable
> sources like solar and wind, and cause significantly less air pollution.
> Central government, all provincial authorities and public transport
> companies signed an agreement stating those terms on 15 April 2016.
>
> Local authorities can use low-emission zones to keep the most polluting
> lorries out of certain parts of their municipality, like the city centre.

--
Spike

Re: ‘Redesign the city for people’: These bike activists are fighting for space in car-choked Milan

<7bf963a4-c622-4e25-afcf-ee6dbcaeaee0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30849&group=uk.rec.cycling#30849

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 08:28:19 -0700 (PDT)
ctivists_are_fighting_for_space_in_car-choked_Milan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 15:28 UTC

Dutch inventors have unveiled a large outside air vacuum cleaner they say is capable of filtering large quantities of toxic particles from the atmosphere.

The purifier can clean about 800,000 cubic metres of air per hour, tech start-up Envinity Group said.

"A large column of air will pass through the filter and come out clear," Henk Boersen, the group's spokesman said.

The filter had been showcased at an exhibition in Amsterdam.

"It's a large industrial filter about 8m [26ft 2in] long, made of steel... placed basically on top of buildings and it works like a big vacuum cleaner," Mr Boersen explained.

The company said the vacuum cleaner was able to suck in air from a 300m radius and up to 7km (4.3 miles) from above, and filter out 100% of fine particles and 95% of ultra-fine particles.

"Fine particles and ultra-fine particles are known to be extremely harmful to public health," Envinity Group said on its website.

Fine particles are caused by emissions from burning wood and other fuels as well as industrial combustion. Ultra-fine particles are released by emissions from vehicles as well as aeroplanes.

About 90% of EU residents are said to be exposed to high levels of such particles.

Last month, an air-purifying system designed by Dutch artist Daan Roosegaarde was installed in Beijing.

Smog Free Tower, which uses patented ozone-free ion technology, can clean up to 30,000 cubic metres of air an hour and collect more than 75% of the harmful particles, according to Studio Roosegaarde.