Croll's Query: If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Car

SubjectAuthor
* USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarJNugent
+- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
+* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
|`* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
+* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
`* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
 `* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
  +- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
  `* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
   +- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
   `* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
    +- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
    `* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
     +- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
     `* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
      +- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
      `* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
       +* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
       |`- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarJNugent
       +* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
       |+- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
       |`* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
       | +- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
       | `* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
       |  `- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
       `* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
        +- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarSpike
        `* Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Carswldx...@gmail.com
         `- Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a CarTony Mike

Pages:12
Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Car

<kjrfr9Fivc0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32113&group=uk.rec.cycling#32113

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Car
Date: 13 Aug 2023 07:42:33 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 07:42 UTC

> The 100th bike hanger in Enfield borough has been installed, providing
> secure residential parking space for 600 cyclists.

But tell us, do, when the residents are safely locked in their bicycle
bins, where do they store their bicycles?

> Residents can apply for a space in an existing bike hangar near to their home:
> Email cycleparking@enfield.gov.uk

Over to Mason for a Must Have Last Word (MHLW) posting…

--
Spike

Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Car

<4173de9e-c002-49cb-a675-d72fd168e4cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32117&group=uk.rec.cycling#32117

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 02:38:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:38 UTC

A cycle hangar is to be moved from one part of Warren Street in Fitzrovia to another location on the street because it is repeatedly struck by drivers of motor vehicles, according to a Camden Council report.

The cycle hanger will be moved from outside number 45 to about 100m east to outside number 58 Warren Street and next to an existing cycle hangar. A single tree is also to be planted across the street.

The bike hangar is fully occupied with six cycles and 26 residents are on the waiting list for spaces.

“The hangar is located opposite the streatery (outdoor seating area in a suspended parking bay) outside the Smugglers Tavern public house and has been damaged on more than one occasion by [drivers of] motor vehicles.

“The bike hangar is at potential risk of further damage in the future due to the street being narrow at the existing location. It is therefore recommended that the existing bike hangar be relocated as proposed where the street is significantly wider, and the risk of damage would be significantly reduced,” states the report.

However, while the bike hangar is located within the parking bay the streatery extends beyond the bay. The streatery is also showing signs of damage.

Camden has installed 237 bike hangars as of March 2023, across the Borough. There is a growing demand from residents living in high density dwellings that are common in the Borough and usually have limited space for covered and secure cycle parking.

“Waiting list data provided by Cyclehoop and Falco (the Council’s previous cycle hangar supplier) indicates that the majority of the 237 hangars installed in the Borough, so far, are fully occupied with a combined waiting list of 9,219 people. The implementation of a hangar in an area usually increases the number of requests in that locality, such is the demand for bike hangar parking,” states the report.

Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Car

<kjrnfkFk448U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32119&group=uk.rec.cycling#32119

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 13 Aug 2023 09:52:52 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:52 UTC

> A cycle hangar is to be moved from one part of Warren Street in Fitzrovia
> to another location on the street because it is repeatedly struck by
> drivers of motor vehicles, according to a Camden Council report.

Is Camden Council claiming that drivers get out of their vehicles and kick
the crap out of the bicycle bin?

Over to Mason for a Must Have Last Word (MHLW) posting…

--
Spike

Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Car

<d1ca38f9-db5a-4907-b207-c214b594f9a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32121&group=uk.rec.cycling#32121

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 04:00:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 11:00 UTC

On Sunday, August 13, 2023 at 10:38:08 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
QUOTE: A cycle hangar is to be moved from one part of Warren Street in Fitzrovia to another location on the street because it is repeatedly struck by drivers of motor vehicles, according to a Camden Council report. ENDS

Have they tried using hi-vis paint?
Or are they all blinded by the Sun?

Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Car

<kjrs5qFkr8jU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32124&group=uk.rec.cycling#32124

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 13 Aug 2023 11:12:58 GMT
<d1ca38f9-db5a-4907-b207-c214b594f9a2n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Spike - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 11:12 UTC

> On Sunday, August 13, 2023 at 10:38:08 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: A cycle hangar is to be moved from one part of Warren Street in
> Fitzrovia to another location on the street because it is repeatedly
> struck by drivers of motor vehicles, according to a Camden Council report. ENDS
>
> Have they tried using hi-vis paint?
> Or are they all blinded by the Sun?

Why would drivers painting their vehicles in hi viz help the problem?
Bicyclists don’t do that, why should anyone else?

Over to Mason for a Must Have Last Word (MHLW) posting…

--
Spike

Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Car

<7dc45513-89b3-4222-9e0b-73fe1e7d36a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32126&group=uk.rec.cycling#32126

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 05:27:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 12:27 UTC

Lambeth Council is bolstering its on-street cycle storage by rolling the first adapted bike hangars to make it easier for residents of all abilities to safely store their bikes.

There are currently 423 bike hangars in Lambeth, providing 2,538 cycle spaces, as part of the council’s commitment to installing 5,000 secure cycle storage spaces by 2026.

However, many users of adapted cycles such as tandems or hand bikes would not fit inside because of their larger dimensions.

Now, adapted bike users can also register their interest in securing an adapted hangar for their own street.

Cllr Rezina Chowdhury, Deputy council leader and cabinet member for Sustainable Lambeth and Clean Air, said: “We are making cycling easier and more accessible for everyone in Lambeth, but ensuring we have the right infrastructure is crucial.

“That means providing space for people to securely store their bikes close to their homes.

“For many families who use adapted bikes, the ordinary hangars are too small for the larger, more cumbersome bikes.

“By installing more adapted cycling hangars and increasing the overall number of hangars in Lambeth, we can support even more people to make the transition to more sustainable forms of travel.”

The first adapted bike hangar was installed by Cyclehoop in March – and it has already put a smile on the face of 13-year-old Isaac.

Isaac, 13, who has Down’s Syndrome, can now enjoy bike rides with his father on their adapted tandem on the roads in Lambeth.

The family approached Lambeth Council requesting a hangar to help store their 20kg tandem and were able to secure a hangar suitable for the bike.

Isaac’s mother Catherine said: “Before the hangar was installed, we struggled to store the adapted bike, and we would have to bring it in and out of the house each time we wanted to use it.

“But it’s now easier for us to get out and cycle than ever before.

“With Isaac’s disability, there are certain things we can’t do. But now we can safely store his bike, we can go on family cycle rides together and it makes cycling to school so much easier.

“Our neighbours are happy to have the hangar and are asking for another one in our street. A lot of households have bikes and don’t have a garage, so it can be difficult for everyone.

“I’d encourage all households to contact the council and see if a hangar would work for them.”

Lambeth Council is transforming local streets to make them more pleasant, enjoyable public spaces that meet the challenges of a changing climate.

The council’s award-winning Kerbside Strategy will see a quarter of the kerbside reclaimed from car parking spaces, to allow for more community parklets, cycle infrastructure and climate resilient measures.

The council’s Big Shift campaign is also supporting people to make the switch from cars to sustainable forms of travel wherever possible.

Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Car

<kjscc0Fnan5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32131&group=uk.rec.cycling#32131

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 13 Aug 2023 15:49:20 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 15:49 UTC

> Lambeth Council is bolstering its on-street cycle storage by rolling the
> first adapted bike hangars to make it easier for residents of all
> abilities to safely store their bikes.

Will they be painting the bicycle bins in hi viz and fitting them with
lights and reflectors?

Thought not!

--
Spike

Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Car

<c480ed1d-d3d1-463c-9591-a1f04d58330dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32134&group=uk.rec.cycling#32134

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 10:05:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 17:05 UTC

New cycle hangars will be installed outside council tower blocks in Bristol next year to give cyclists somewhere safe to store their bicycles. Bristol mayor Marvin Rees said a new plan will look at installing cycle hangars at 16 sites across the city, with spaces for 168 bikes.

Bristol already has a few secure cycle hangars, which allow people with little storage space at home to safely lock up their bikes. The hangars look like large bread bins, take up the space of about one car, and usually have enough room to store several bicycles.

Responding to calls for safer cycling infrastructure in the city, the mayor said the “single biggest flaw” in transport planning is to have a “single focus”. In a recent blog post on his website, he said an underground railway network would allow for more segregated cycle lanes to be built. Campaigners said many cyclists would likely “not be satisfied” with the mayor’s response.

Mr Rees said in the blog post: “As part of our work with the West of England combined authority, we’ve been able to begin the project for a programme of cycle hangars in the city. We will use the funding which will be made available at the January committee to prioritise cycle hangars for council blocks.

“The project scored blocks against strategic criteria such as their links to the strategic cycling network, levels of deprivation and car ownership. This identified 168 cycle hangar spaces for 16 sites, and we’ll begin installation next year.”

Calls are growing on Bristol City Council to make the city safer for cyclists. Earlier this month thousands petitioned council chiefs to come up with a plan for a comprehensive network of safe bike lanes, a proper bike share scheme, and cycle hangars to clamp down on rampant bike theft. The mayor’s blog post is his formal response to the petition for safer cycling.

Mr Rees added: “When dealing with transport planning, the single biggest flaw is to approach the challenge through a single focus. Our challenge is to enable people’s movement while bringing people with us on a journey to sustainable, efficient, low carbon travel. Many campaigns struggle: alienating and isolating people, building barriers to growing support for change.

“Active Travel England has set out standards that we aspire to where they are deliverable. We want to deliver infrastructure which enables growth of cycling among more disadvantaged communities. Bristol has a clear transport hierarchy, which prioritises pedestrians and then cyclists.

“Our mass transit plans have progressed and are ready to be completed by the next administration and the combined authority. This is the single most transformation [sic] approach to transport in our city for a century and will remove more car journeys than any other initiative, paving the way for far greater implementation of segregated cycling and active travel like other modern cities.”

Current plans to build new cycle lanes in Bristol are detailed in a document called the Local Cycling Walking Infrastructure Plan, which covers the whole of the West of England region. Mr Rees said new routes in this document would increase cycling in disadvantaged areas, but critics say many of these plans are sub-standard and focus only on major commuter routes. There are also no dates for when the works will be done, only before the year 2036.

Elsewhere, the council is applying for £14 million from the government’s Levelling Up fund to build a new Family Cycling Centre in Lawrence Weston. This would help people learn to ride a bike in a safe environment, but would also mean the closure of the Bristol Family Cycling Centre in Hengrove Park.

Mr Rees added that the council is taking a “holistic approach” to improving the city’s transport network. This includes the hugely popular Voi e-scooter trial, which he claimed has taken three million car journeys off the roads and saved “hundreds of thousands of kilos of carbon dioxide emissions”; as well as the new Clean Air Zone, and plans for fining drivers for moving traffic offences.

Ian Pond, who organised the cycling petition and chairs the Bristol Cycling Campaign, said the mayor’s blog post did not address the issues which his petition called for earlier this month.

He said: “The petition asked Bristol City Council to complete and publish an updated cycling delivery plan, as was committed to in the 2019 Bristol Transport Strategy. The mayor’s article is not a cycling delivery plan; it is a description of some individual initiatives, some concerned with cycling, but others not.

“Petition signatories are expecting a comprehensive strategy and plan for cycling, just as motor vehicles and public transport are given in the Bristol Transport Strategy. I don’t think that the almost 4,000 Bristol residents who signed the petition will be satisfied with this response."

Re: USA Rough Cost Comparison: Riding an E-Bike Versus Driving a Car

<a9c1fa4e-41b8-4036-841c-1dbb1f9c0848n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32291&group=uk.rec.cycling#32291

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 14:37:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonnymike359@gmail.com (Tony Mike)
 by: Tony Mike - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 21:37 UTC

https://alphaspirituality.com
https://alphaspirituality.com/product/purple-mdma/
https://alphaspirituality.com/product/rybelsus-weight-loss/
https://alphaspirituality.com/product/buy-ozempic-online/