Support your local Search and Rescue unit -- get lost.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / When covering car-cyclist collisions

SubjectAuthor
* When covering car-cyclist collisionsswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions in the USSpike
+* Re: When covering car-cyclist collisionsswldx...@gmail.com

Pages:12
When covering car-cyclist collisions

<3151f597-c30f-4757-b60a-6603d10708e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32750&group=uk.rec.cycling#32750

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 08:38:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: When covering car-cyclist collisions
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 15:38 UTC

When a person driving a vehicle hits a cyclist or a pedestrian, the common newswriting construct is to craft the sentence in the passive voice, so that the victim of the crash is the subject of the sentence. Journalists will write, "A cyclist was hit..." or a "A pedestrian was injured..." This grammatical choice puts the reader's attention on the person who was hurt or killed. Journalists often finish the sentence by writing that the person was "hit by a car" or, less frequently, "hit by a driver."

Today we address a letter from a reader who viewed the use of the phrase "hit by a car" in an NPR headline as a failure to acknowledge the driver of the vehicle and their role in the crash. The story was about a car-bike collision that killed a teenage star in the world of competitive cycling.

Turns out the writer and the editor behind the story had their own discussion about the language. Read on to find out why they chose to use that phrase in the headline, as well as our analysis of their decision.

We also highlight a story from a mountain in Pakistan where an NPR correspondent traveled to watch locals revive an ancient tradition and try to make a new glacier.
FROM THE INBOX

Here are a few quotes from the Public Editor's inbox that resonated with us.. Letters are edited for length and clarity. You can share your questions and concerns with us through the NPR Contact page.

Hit by a car — or a driver?

Neil Stein wrote on Aug. 2: This article has the headline "Top American cyclist Magnus White, 17, dies after being hit by a car." By a car. Did the car's brakes fail and roll into him? No, he was hit by a driver of a car. The first sentence of the article says as much. So why does the headline erase the human element? This ... language minimizes the reality of the rising fatality rates in the U.S. for people who bike and simply walk. Any reckoning with this sad state of affairs has to confront the reality that we are killing each other with our vehicles in entirely preventable circumstances, not that the vehicles are mindlessly causing unavoidable mishaps.

NPR's digital story about Magnus White's death starts off with this sentence: "A rising star in American cycling, 17-year-old Magnus White, has died after a driver hit him while he was cycling on the shoulder of a highway in his hometown of Boulder, Colo."

But the headline, as the letter writer noted, says White died "after being hit by a car."

Other outlets, such as The New York Times, ran the news about White under a headline that specified a driver hit him: "Teen Competitive Cyclist Dies After Being Hit by Driver." Some headlines about White's death didn't use the terms "hit by a car" or "hit by a driver" at all, like this one from The Guardian : "Rising US cycling star Magnus White killed during training ride at 17." The details about how White was killed were provided within the story.

We talked with News Desk correspondent Laurel Wamsley, who reported the NPR piece.

She said she understands the criticism of using "hit by a car" in the headline. As an avid cyclist, she closely follows news about people being killed or injured by drivers while biking, as well as the conversations about how the news media reports on these issues.

The original headline Wamsley submitted to her editors for this story was "Top American cyclist Magnus White, 17, dies after being hit by a driver." But that initial headline was changed in the editing process. She and her editor discussed that "hit by a driver" might imply the driver got out of the car to assault the victim. In their conversation, Wamsley made her editor aware of ongoing language debates and sent a 2019 Bloomberg story about research showing that "news stories overwhelmingly (but often subtly) shift blame onto pedestrians and cyclists" when they are hit or killed in a car crash, rather than the driver.

Wamsley and her editor ultimately decided "hit by a car" was most appropriate for the headline because they thought "hit by a driver" wasn't clear enough. They chose instead to be more specific in the teaser text, a summary that appears under a headline on NPR's website before readers click the link to read it, but the text doesn't appear on social media or search engines.

The teaser reads: "White was preparing to compete in next week's Cyclocross World Championships in Scotland when a driver struck him while he was cycling on the shoulder of a highway in Boulder, Colo."

"We had a fair amount of work to do in this headline because we were trying to convey some of the details of the incident and also convey ... who was killed," Wamsley said. "It was a young American cyclist on the national team, but also one that most Americans probably have not heard of previously. So we need to convey a lot of information, including some circumstances of the incident, and we relied on the teaser to unpack more of those details."

Advocates for cycling and safer streets argue that journalists should use the word "driver" to describe the person who collides with a cyclist, rather than "car" or "vehicle," Wamsley said. The Associated Press does not have formal guidelines about the phrases "hit by a car" or "hit by a driver." We asked AP Stylebook editor Paula Froke her thoughts on the language.

Froke said in an email that she appreciated the audience member's perspective as a "cyclist who has been hit by a car (which was driven by a person) and who has many friends and acquaintances who also have been hit while riding their bikes."

"But as an editor, I believe the phrasing 'hit by a car' does convey the meaning, especially in the limited space possible in a headline," she said. "Readers know that most cars are driven by people. That's implicit. (If a driverless car were involved, we would specify that.) And in fact, he was hit by the motor vehicle itself. Not by a person. A rewording to say the cyclist was hit by a driver would actually be more muddied, I think."

Wamsley concurred: "I do think that colloquially people talk about cars hitting something rather than the driver hitting something [because] a driver can be inside or outside of a car. It certainly is accurate to say that the cyclist was 'struck by a car' — it's not inaccurate. But it doesn't tell the whole story. It's always hard to tell the whole story in a headline."

After the headline, the story should report any available details about the nature of the crash, Froke said. "Did authorities say the driver lost control? Or veered into the bike lane? Or any other description of the circumstances? That's not always possible in the early goings. But certainly, any details about the actions of the driver are essential when they are known," she wrote.

The NPR story provides such details, including that "the driver crossed from the right-hand lane onto the shoulder, striking White from behind before she crashed into a fence, according to an incident report from the Colorado State Patrol." Wamsley also inserted a link to a 2022 All Things Considered story titled "More cyclists are being killed by cars. Advocates say U.S. streets are the problem," which appears alongside the text of the story as related content that readers can click.

Packing all the information of a complex story into the small number of characters available in a headline presents challenges, as Wamsley and Froke pointed out. We agree that "hit by a car" is understandable in a headline and is acceptable as long as the story provides as many details as possible about the nature of the crash so as not to assign undue blame to victims. Wamsley's story accomplished this. — Emily Barske Wood

https://www.npr.org/sections/publiceditor/2023/09/07/1198102573/when-covering-car-cyclist-collisions

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions in the US

<klublbFev2dU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32752&group=uk.rec.cycling#32752

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions in the US
Date: 7 Sep 2023 16:22:04 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:22 UTC

--
Spike

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<3fc51196-18d5-4650-8263-da027414469bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32756&group=uk.rec.cycling#32756

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 09:33:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:33 UTC

QUOTE: Wamsley and her editor ultimately decided "hit by a car" was most appropriate for the headline because they thought "hit by a driver" wasn't clear enough. ENDS

The driver could have exited the car and stabbed the cyclist with a knife - at a push.

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<kluchnFf33jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32758&group=uk.rec.cycling#32758

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 7 Sep 2023 16:37:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:37 UTC

> QUOTE: Wamsley and her editor ultimately decided "hit by a car" was most
> appropriate for the headline because they thought "hit by a driver"
> wasn't clear enough. ENDS
>
> The driver could have exited the car and stabbed the cyclist with a knife - at a push.

The word is ‘thrust’, not ‘push’.

--
Spike

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<83cc2ad8-dee5-4058-8e73-21588a19f6ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32761&group=uk.rec.cycling#32761

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 09:45:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:45 UTC

QUOTE: Advocates for cycling and safer streets argue that journalists should use the word "driver" to describe the person who collides with a cyclist, rather than "car" or "vehicle," Wamsley said. ENDS

OF COURSE - THESE KILLER DRIVERS WANT TO AIRBRUSH THEMSELVES FROM THE DEATHS THEY CAUSE.

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<kluk2hFg82kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32763&group=uk.rec.cycling#32763

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 7 Sep 2023 18:45:37 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 18:45 UTC

> QUOTE: Advocates for cycling and safer streets argue that journalists
> should use the word "driver" to describe the person who collides with a
> cyclist, rather than "car" or "vehicle," Wamsley said. ENDS
>
> OF COURSE - THESE KILLER DRIVERS WANT TO AIRBRUSH THEMSELVES FROM THE DEATHS THEY CAUSE.

It is to be suspected that very few drivers collide with cyclists, the
collision in reality being between the motor vehicle and the pedal vehicle.

But, of course, any such air-brushing of the cyclist out of the picture
wouldn’t suit the agenda, would it?

--
Spike

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<c48e4411-0496-46c0-9585-a0b89822ac7fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32767&group=uk.rec.cycling#32767

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 12:03:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 19:03 UTC

QUOTE: Neil Stein wrote on Aug. 2: This article has the headline "Top American cyclist Magnus White, 17, dies after being hit by a car." By a car. Did the car's brakes fail and roll into him? No, he was hit by a driver of a car. The first sentence of the article says as much. So why does the headline erase the human element? This ... language minimizes the reality of the rising fatality rates in the U.S. for people who bike and simply walk. Any reckoning with this sad state of affairs has to confront the reality that we are killing each other with our vehicles in entirely preventable circumstances, not that the vehicles are mindlessly causing unavoidable mishaps. ENDS

If this happened with trains or planes they would get shut down until a solution was found PDQ.

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<klumq3FglnqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32769&group=uk.rec.cycling#32769

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 20:32:19 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 19:32 UTC

> QUOTE: Neil Stein wrote on Aug. 2: This article has the headline "Top American cyclist Magnus White, 17, dies after being hit by a car." By a car.

With what did he come into contact?

A vehicle or a human being?

If you were describing a suicide on the railway, would you say that the
deceased was hit by a train, or by the train's driver?

> Did the car's brakes fail and roll into him? No, he was hit by a driver of a car.

So unlikely - even in a convertible with the roof down - as to be almost
risible.

> The first sentence of the article says as much. So why does the headline erase the human element?

How does it do that?

Which two objects collided?

> This ... language minimizes the reality of the rising fatality rates in the U.S. for people who bike and simply walk. Any reckoning with this sad state of affairs has to confront the reality that we are killing each other with our vehicles in entirely preventable circumstances, not that the vehicles are mindlessly causing unavoidable mishaps. ENDS
>
> If this happened with trains or planes they would get shut down until a solution was found PDQ.

Good idea.

Ban chav-cycling until a solution to the terrible behaviour of
chav-cyclists is found.

That might well be a V E R Y L O N G time.

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<31091661-1764-46bb-8e62-9a56e8e0d6c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32771&group=uk.rec.cycling#32771

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 12:59:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 19:59 UTC

QUOTE: Wamsley made her editor aware of ongoing language debates and sent a 2019 Bloomberg story about research showing that "news stories overwhelmingly (but often subtly) shift blame onto pedestrians and cyclists" when they are hit or killed in a car crash, rather than the driver. ENDS

Yes - blaming the innocent dead victims is a favourite trope in the UK news media as well.

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<klus1vFhep2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32773&group=uk.rec.cycling#32773

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 7 Sep 2023 21:01:51 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 21:01 UTC

> QUOTE: Neil Stein wrote on Aug. 2: This article has the headline "Top
> American cyclist Magnus White, 17, dies after being hit by a car." By a
> car. Did the car's brakes fail and roll into him? No, he was hit by a
> driver of a car. The first sentence of the article says as much. So why
> does the headline erase the human element? This ... language minimizes
> the reality of the rising fatality rates in the U.S. for people who bike
> and simply walk. Any reckoning with this sad state of affairs has to
> confront the reality that we are killing each other with our vehicles in
> entirely preventable circumstances, not that the vehicles are mindlessly
> causing unavoidable mishaps. ENDS
>
> If this happened with trains or planes they would get shut down until a
> solution was found PDQ.

Keep in mind the fact that 1 in 6 cyclist road deaths involve no other
vehicle.

If cyclists want absolute safety, they should start looking closer to home.

--
Spike

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<klus1vFhep2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32774&group=uk.rec.cycling#32774

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 7 Sep 2023 21:01:51 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 21:01 UTC

> QUOTE: Wamsley made her editor aware of ongoing language debates and
> sent a 2019 Bloomberg story about research showing that "news stories
> overwhelmingly (but often subtly) shift blame onto pedestrians and
> cyclists" when they are hit or killed in a car crash, rather than the driver. ENDS
>
> Yes - blaming the innocent dead victims is a favourite trope in the UK news media as well.

Ah, blame the innocent dead victim - such as the lady pedestrian in Dalston
who was killed by the rider of an illegally-modified e-bike travelling well
over the speed limit. The cycling media was full of both condemnation of
the lady and support for the cyclist.

--
Spike

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<b09b26ca-38a6-4350-b6e1-a0d21366429fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32777&group=uk.rec.cycling#32777

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 00:32:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 07:32 UTC

QUOTE: It certainly is accurate to say that the cyclist was 'struck by a car' — it's not inaccurate. But it doesn't tell the whole story. It's always hard to tell the whole story in a headline." ENDS

The thick gammons in the UK don't care about facts, only headlines about "invading" hordes of asylum seekers and Farage and his racist utterings on GBeebies. Don't confuse them with actual "facts".

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<km066qFnqlcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32778&group=uk.rec.cycling#32778

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 8 Sep 2023 09:01:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 09:01 UTC

> QUOTE: It certainly is accurate to say that the cyclist was 'struck by a
> car' — it's not inaccurate. But it doesn't tell the whole story. It's
> always hard to tell the whole story in a headline." ENDS
>
> The thick gammons in the UK don't care about facts, only headlines about
> "invading" hordes of asylum seekers and Farage and his racist utterings
> on GBeebies. Don't confuse them with actual "facts".

Much like not confusing cyclists with actual data, such as the cycling-mad
Dutch dying from the same major illnesses at the same rate as the lardarse
Brits, thus blowing the ‘cycling makes you healthier’ shibboleth out of the
water.

--
Spike

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<f007d850-3392-4ceb-8975-f8c9458933bdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32779&group=uk.rec.cycling#32779

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 06:08:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 13:08 UTC

On Friday, September 8, 2023 at 11:47:20 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: Today we address a letter from a reader who viewed the use of the phrase "hit by a car" in an NPR headline as a failure to acknowledge the driver of the vehicle and their role in the crash. The story was about a car-bike collision that killed a teenage star in the world of competitive cycling. ENDS
>
> In the UK, such such stories would not allow reader comments in rags such as the Daily Mail as there would be 90% cheering on the deaths.

Oddly, they have the polar opposite view when a driver gets killed whenever a brick is lobbed off a motorway bridge. You would never get load of cyclists saying "oh how we all laughed" in the comments section. Like everything else - it's a driver problem.

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<km0o5eFqjtvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32788&group=uk.rec.cycling#32788

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 8 Sep 2023 14:07:42 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 14:07 UTC

> On Friday, September 8, 2023 at 11:47:20 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> QUOTE: Today we address a letter from a reader who viewed the use of the
>> phrase "hit by a car" in an NPR headline as a failure to acknowledge the
>> driver of the vehicle and their role in the crash. The story was about a
>> car-bike collision that killed a teenage star in the world of competitive cycling. ENDS
>>
>> In the UK, such such stories would not allow reader comments in rags
>> such as the Daily Mail as there would be 90% cheering on the deaths.
>
> Oddly, they have the polar opposite view when a driver gets killed
> whenever a brick is lobbed off a motorway bridge. You would never get
> load of cyclists saying "oh how we all laughed" in the comments section.
> Like everything else - it's a driver problem.

You need to concentrate on the difference between an ‘accident’ and a
‘deliberate’.

--
Spike

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<0d0c63f0-5a15-46cc-8435-bd7cc91c08bdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32793&group=uk.rec.cycling#32793

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 08:32:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 15:32 UTC

On Friday, September 8, 2023 at 11:47:20 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: Today we address a letter from a reader who viewed the use of the phrase "hit by a car" in an NPR headline as a failure to acknowledge the driver of the vehicle and their role in the crash. The story was about a car-bike collision that killed a teenage star in the world of competitive cycling. ENDS
>
> In the UK, such such stories would not allow reader comments in rags such as the Daily Mail as there would be 90% cheering on the deaths.

Even toddlers on trikes are laughed at when they get run over by lorries mounting the pavement, the sick ghouls.

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<km3dphF94p0U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32835&group=uk.rec.cycling#32835

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:29:05 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 14:29 UTC

> On Friday, September 8, 2023 at 11:47:20 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> QUOTE: Today we address a letter from a reader who viewed the use of the phrase "hit by a car" in an NPR headline as a failure to acknowledge the driver of the vehicle and their role in the crash. The story was about a car-bike collision that killed a teenage star in the world of competitive cycling. ENDS

>> In the UK, such such stories would not allow reader comments in rags such as the Daily Mail as there would be 90% cheering on the deaths.

> Even toddlers on trikes are laughed at when they get run over by lorries mounting the pavement, the sick ghouls.

Rhetorical question:

Has anyone else ever advised you that you are a totally deranged idiot?

They must have.

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<27d718db-d048-4500-8b7b-6eb6e47645ben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32839&group=uk.rec.cycling#32839

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 08:27:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:27 UTC

No mention of the tree's culpability - shocking writing!
=====================================An elderly driver aged in his 70s has been killed following a crash in Ashford on Saturday morning (September 9). Kent Police has confirmed that the incident took place on the A251 Faversham Road at around 6.30am.

The driver of a red Mazda 6 estate car is reported to have collided with a tree in the area. A large emergency service response was called to the scene, including crews from the South East Coast Ambulance Service.

A road closure remained in place throughout the morning and into the afternoon while emergency service personnel remained at the scene. A spokesperson for Kent Police said: “Officers attended the scene along with the South East Coast Ambulance Service where the driver in his 70s was pronounced deceased.”

The road was re-opened and traffic returned to normal at around 1pm. Officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit (SCIU) are investigating and are appealing for witnesses to the incident to come forward.

They are also urging anyone with dashcam or CCTV footage taken in the area around the time to come forward. Witnesses should call the SCIU appeal line on 01622 798538 quoting reference RY/SS/100/23. You can also email sciu.td@kent.pnn.police.uk and footage can be submitted here .

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/driver-killed-after-car-hits-8739730

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<km3lsdFadq3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32845&group=uk.rec.cycling#32845

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 9 Sep 2023 16:47:09 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:47 UTC

I take it this will be a new addition your dismal collection of road
deaths?

> No mention of the tree's culpability - shocking writing!
> =====================================An elderly driver aged in his 70s
> has been killed following a crash in Ashford on Saturday morning
> (September 9). Kent Police has confirmed that the incident took place on
> the A251 Faversham Road at around 6.30am.
>
> The driver of a red Mazda 6 estate car is reported to have collided with
> a tree in the area. A large emergency service response was called to the
> scene, including crews from the South East Coast Ambulance Service.
>
> A road closure remained in place throughout the morning and into the
> afternoon while emergency service personnel remained at the scene. A
> spokesperson for Kent Police said: Officers attended the scene along
> with the South East Coast Ambulance Service where the driver in his 70s
> was pronounced deceased.
>
> The road was re-opened and traffic returned to normal at around 1pm.
> Officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit (SCIU) are
> investigating and are appealing for witnesses to the incident to come forward.
>
> They are also urging anyone with dashcam or CCTV footage taken in the
> area around the time to come forward. Witnesses should call the SCIU
> appeal line on 01622 798538 quoting reference RY/SS/100/23. You can also
> email sciu.td@kent.pnn.police.uk and footage can be submitted here .
>
> https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/driver-killed-after-car-hits-8739730

--
Spike

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<43b2dabf-37f3-4289-a246-bc114200a79dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32853&group=uk.rec.cycling#32853

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 03:47:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 10:47 UTC

QUOTE: Today we address a letter from a reader who viewed the use of the phrase "hit by a car" in an NPR headline as a failure to acknowledge the driver of the vehicle and their role in the crash. The story was about a car-bike collision that killed a teenage star in the world of competitive cycling.. ENDS

In the UK, such such stories would not allow reader comments in rags such as the Daily Mail as there would be 90% cheering on the deaths.

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<km0f2rFp76rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32854&group=uk.rec.cycling#32854

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 8 Sep 2023 11:32:43 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 11:32 UTC

> QUOTE: Today we address a letter from a reader who viewed the use of the
> phrase "hit by a car" in an NPR headline as a failure to acknowledge the
> driver of the vehicle and their role in the crash. The story was about a
> car-bike collision that killed a teenage star in the world of competitive cycling. ENDS

> In the UK, such such stories would not allow reader comments in rags such
> as the Daily Mail as there would be 90% cheering on the deaths.

I’m sure you will find that your continuing series of posts mentioning dead
cyclists does little to ameliorate the situation for everyone concerned.

It is said that every movement needs its martyrs, and one might suspect
that is why you post such ‘news’, sometimes several times for a particular
death, to keep cyclists deaths in the public mind. Perhaps you might ask
yourself if this is the best way forward to promote whatever agenda it is
that you follow.

--
Spike

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<km46u7Fd1dbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32859&group=uk.rec.cycling#32859

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 9 Sep 2023 21:38:15 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:38 UTC

13th July 2023

Another one for your morbid list?

--
Spike

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<0feab4af-d928-4eee-a8cf-1f9c3556c49fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32866&group=uk.rec.cycling#32866

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:39:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 06:39 UTC

A driver has been arrested after a crash on the M4 in Wiltshire. The driver hit a tree last night (April 12) with the car ending up on its side, report Wiltshire Police.

There was a significant police presence at the scene with roads policing officers and an armed response vehicle dealing with the incident. Despite the violent impact of the crash, the driver emerged largely unscathed.

The driver, who was not seriously injured in the accident, provided a positive breath test. In a tweet, Wiltshire Special Police Operations, said: “A near-miss for this driver on the M4. Scene attended by #RPU & #ARV.

“Miraculously the lone occupant wasn't seriously injured, thankfully they hit a tree and not another vehicle.”

https://www.wiltshirelive.co.uk/news/wiltshire-news/driver-arrested-after-car-hits-8673859

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<km5f96Fj375U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32874&group=uk.rec.cycling#32874

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 10 Sep 2023 09:06:46 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 09:06 UTC

Dated 08:58, 13 AUG 2023, some four weeks ago.

Are you looking for ‘evidence’ to support whatever agenda it is that you
are trying to project?

> A driver has been arrested after a crash on the M4 in Wiltshire. The
> driver hit a tree last night (April 12) with the car ending up on its
> side, report Wiltshire Police.
>
> There was a significant police presence at the scene with roads policing
> officers and an armed response vehicle dealing with the incident. Despite
> the violent impact of the crash, the driver emerged largely unscathed.
>
> The driver, who was not seriously injured in the accident, provided a
> positive breath test. In a tweet, Wiltshire Special Police Operations,
> said: “A near-miss for this driver on the M4. Scene attended by #RPU & #ARV.
>
> “Miraculously the lone occupant wasn't seriously injured, thankfully they
> hit a tree and not another vehicle.”
>
> https://www.wiltshirelive.co.uk/news/wiltshire-news/driver-arrested-after-car-hits-8673859

--
Spike

Re: When covering car-cyclist collisions

<f7d3b879-8104-4a1e-8883-6e44f9a7f401n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32880&group=uk.rec.cycling#32880

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 03:21:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:21 UTC

A driver has died after a crash on a country road on the outskirts of Nuneaton. The man, who has not been identified but is aged in his 30s, was pronounced dead at the scene in Purley Chase Lane in Mancetter yesterday afternoon (Sunday, June 12).

He was behind the wheel of a blue Mercedes saloon, which is understood to have left the road and collided with a tree. Emergency services raced to the scene and he was removed from the car.

However, he could not be saved and he was tragically pronounced deceased at the scene. His next of kin have been informed and they are being supported by specially trained officers.

Now investigating officers want to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time, around 4.20pm. "Officers are keen to speak with anyone who saw the collision, the vehicle and the manner in which it was being driven prior to the collision, or who has dashcam footage of the incident," a Warwickshire Police spokesman said.