Made with real ingredients.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Gloves for brambles

SubjectAuthor
* Gloves for bramblesAndy Burns
+* Gloves for bramblesTheo
|+- Gloves for bramblesFredxx
|+- Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|+- Gloves for bramblesRobert
|`* Gloves for bramblesBrian Gaff
| +- Gloves for bramblesAndy Burns
| `- Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
+* Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|`* Gloves for bramblesalan_m
| `* Gloves for bramblesJoe
|  +* Gloves for bramblesAndy Burns
|  |`* Gloves for brambleswasbit
|  | +* Gloves for bramblesThe Natural Philosopher
|  | |`- Gloves for bramblesAndy Burns
|  | `* Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  |  `* Gloves for bramblesThe Natural Philosopher
|  |   +* Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  |   |`- Gloves for bramblesNick Maclaren
|  |   `* Gloves for bramblesAndy Burns
|  |    +* Gloves for bramblesTim+
|  |    |+- Gloves for bramblesJeff Layman
|  |    |`- Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  |    `- Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  +* Gloves for bramblesThe Natural Philosopher
|  |`* Gloves for bramblesRJH
|  | `* Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  |  `* Gloves for bramblesRJH
|  |   +- Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  |   `* Gloves for bramblesThe Natural Philosopher
|  |    `- Gloves for bramblesPaul Mc Cann
|  +- Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  +- Gloves for bramblesTheo
|  `- Gloves for bramblesJeff Layman
`- Gloves for bramblesBrian Gaff

Pages:12
Gloves for brambles

<kn8m51FajklU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3300&group=uk.rec.gardening#3300

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Gloves for brambles
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:38:42 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:38 UTC

A recommendation, rather than an ask, bought a set of these
leather/kevlar gloves for under a tenner (make sure to select the 6044
green version).

<https://ebay.co.uk/itm/114638841930?var=414806874080>

They make your hands *absolutely* *invincible* against brambles,
pulling with all my might to disentangle two year old woody brambles
from a hedge, letting thorns slip through your hands as you pull on
them, grasping as tight as you can on them, all without feeling
anything at all.

Re: Gloves for brambles

<nWk*QY8qz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3301&group=uk.rec.gardening#3301

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Gloves for brambles
Date: 23 Sep 2023 19:47:05 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:47 UTC

In uk.d-i-y Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> A recommendation, rather than an ask, bought a set of these
> leather/kevlar gloves for under a tenner (make sure to select the 6044
> green version).
>
> <https://ebay.co.uk/itm/114638841930?var=414806874080>
>
> They make your hands *absolutely* *invincible* against brambles,
> pulling with all my might to disentangle two year old woody brambles
> from a hedge, letting thorns slip through your hands as you pull on
> them, grasping as tight as you can on them, all without feeling
> anything at all.

On a similar note I had to improvise for some clearance work recently, and I
resorted to using some 'welder's gauntlets' I had lying around:
https://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB/Product/ProductDetail?ModelName=282389

Worked a treat, didn't feel any thorns. The downsides are they aren't
waterproof, so they got wet pretty easily, and a little of the red colouring
transferred to my fingers.

I expect yours are superior...

Theo

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uend5v$tn4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3302&group=uk.rec.gardening#3302

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:09:51 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:09 UTC

On 23/09/2023 19:47, Theo wrote:
> In uk.d-i-y Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> A recommendation, rather than an ask, bought a set of these
>> leather/kevlar gloves for under a tenner (make sure to select the 6044
>> green version).
>>
>> <https://ebay.co.uk/itm/114638841930?var=414806874080>
>>
>> They make your hands *absolutely* *invincible* against brambles,
>> pulling with all my might to disentangle two year old woody brambles
>> from a hedge, letting thorns slip through your hands as you pull on
>> them, grasping as tight as you can on them, all without feeling
>> anything at all.
>
> On a similar note I had to improvise for some clearance work recently, and I
> resorted to using some 'welder's gauntlets' I had lying around:
> https://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB/Product/ProductDetail?ModelName=282389

I have used the same for brambles. The long sleeves also protect the arms.

> Worked a treat, didn't feel any thorns. The downsides are they aren't
> waterproof, so they got wet pretty easily, and a little of the red colouring
> transferred to my fingers.

I'm a fair weather hedge cutter/pruner!

> I expect yours are superior...
>
> Theo

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uend89$tq7m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3303&group=uk.rec.gardening#3303

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:11:05 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:11 UTC

On 23/09/2023 18:38, Andy Burns wrote:
> A recommendation, rather than an ask, bought a set of these
> leather/kevlar gloves for under a tenner (make sure to select the 6044
> green version).
>
> <https://ebay.co.uk/itm/114638841930?var=414806874080>
>
> They make your hands  *absolutely* *invincible* against brambles,
> pulling with all my might to disentangle two year old woody brambles
> from a hedge, letting thorns slip through your hands as you pull on
> them, grasping as tight as you can on them, all without feeling
> anything at all.

I use rawhide leather welding gauntlets. No idea about price as I've had
my pair for around twenty years.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uendg2$tren$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3304&group=uk.rec.gardening#3304

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:15:13 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:15 UTC

On 23/09/2023 19:47, Theo wrote:
> In uk.d-i-y Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> A recommendation, rather than an ask, bought a set of these
>> leather/kevlar gloves for under a tenner (make sure to select the 6044
>> green version).
>>
>> <https://ebay.co.uk/itm/114638841930?var=414806874080>
>>
>> They make your hands *absolutely* *invincible* against brambles,
>> pulling with all my might to disentangle two year old woody brambles
>> from a hedge, letting thorns slip through your hands as you pull on
>> them, grasping as tight as you can on them, all without feeling
>> anything at all.
>
> On a similar note I had to improvise for some clearance work recently, and I
> resorted to using some 'welder's gauntlets' I had lying around:
> https://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB/Product/ProductDetail?ModelName=282389

Welding rays!

> Worked a treat, didn't feel any thorns. The downsides are they aren't
> waterproof, so they got wet pretty easily, and a little of the red colouring
> transferred to my fingers.

Ah, mine don't, but they do stain them green...

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Gloves for brambles

<kn8s1aFbjh0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3305&group=uk.rec.gardening#3305

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:19:07 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:19 UTC

On 23/09/2023 20:11, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 23/09/2023 18:38, Andy Burns wrote:
>> A recommendation, rather than an ask, bought a set of these
>> leather/kevlar gloves for under a tenner (make sure to select the 6044
>> green version).
>>
>> <https://ebay.co.uk/itm/114638841930?var=414806874080>
>>
>> They make your hands  *absolutely* *invincible* against brambles,
>> pulling with all my might to disentangle two year old woody brambles
>> from a hedge, letting thorns slip through your hands as you pull on
>> them, grasping as tight as you can on them, all without feeling
>> anything at all.
>
> I use rawhide leather welding gauntlets. No idea about price as I've had
> my pair for around twenty years.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/welding-gloves/cat5530002

Re: Gloves for brambles

<20230924085007.1e1d5973@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3310&group=uk.rec.gardening#3310

From: joe@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 08:50:07 +0100
 by: Joe - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 07:50 UTC

On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:19:07 +0100
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 23/09/2023 20:11, RustyHinge wrote:
> > On 23/09/2023 18:38, Andy Burns wrote:
> >> A recommendation, rather than an ask, bought a set of these
> >> leather/kevlar gloves for under a tenner (make sure to select the
> >> 6044 green version).
> >>
> >> <https://ebay.co.uk/itm/114638841930?var=414806874080>
> >>
> >> They make your hands  *absolutely* *invincible* against brambles,
> >> pulling with all my might to disentangle two year old woody
> >> brambles from a hedge, letting thorns slip through your hands as
> >> you pull on them, grasping as tight as you can on them, all
> >> without feeling anything at all.
> >
> > I use rawhide leather welding gauntlets. No idea about price as
> > I've had my pair for around twenty years.
> >

> https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/welding-gloves/cat5530002

Do they also work on pyracantha thorns, which will go through the sole
of a shoe if you step on them?

--
Joe

Re: Gloves for brambles

<knabruFir85U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3311&group=uk.rec.gardening#3311

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 09:55:28 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 08:55 UTC

Joe wrote:

> Do they also work on pyracantha thorns

None available to test, will see how they fare on Blackthorns

Re: Gloves for brambles

<ueovac$19t7r$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3312&group=uk.rec.gardening#3312

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 10:25:32 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 09:25 UTC

On 24/09/2023 08:50, Joe wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:19:07 +0100
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I use rawhide leather welding gauntlets. No idea about price as
>>> I've had my pair for around twenty years.
>>>

>> https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/welding-gloves/cat5530002
>>

> Do they also work on pyracantha thorns, which will go through the sole
> of a shoe if you step on them?

Or Blackthorn, which is very similar.
Surprisingly THISTLES will penetrate ordinary gardening gloves too.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Re: Gloves for brambles

<knae72Fj7r3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3313&group=uk.rec.gardening#3313

From: robert@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 10:35:30 +0100
 by: Robert - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 09:35 UTC

On 23/09/2023 19:47, Theo wrote:
> In uk.d-i-y Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> A recommendation, rather than an ask, bought a set of these
>> leather/kevlar gloves for under a tenner (make sure to select the 6044
>> green version).
>>
>> <https://ebay.co.uk/itm/114638841930?var=414806874080>
>>
>> They make your hands *absolutely* *invincible* against brambles,
>> pulling with all my might to disentangle two year old woody brambles
>> from a hedge, letting thorns slip through your hands as you pull on
>> them, grasping as tight as you can on them, all without feeling
>> anything at all.
>
> On a similar note I had to improvise for some clearance work recently, and I
> resorted to using some 'welder's gauntlets' I had lying around:
> https://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB/Product/ProductDetail?ModelName=282389
>
> Worked a treat, didn't feel any thorns. The downsides are they aren't
> waterproof, so they got wet pretty easily, and a little of the red colouring
> transferred to my fingers.
>
> I expect yours are superior...
>
> Theo
+1, have used them for years when working on thorny brash and brambles

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uep3mt$1ai92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3314&group=uk.rec.gardening#3314

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 11:40:29 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 10:40 UTC

On 24/09/2023 08:50, Joe wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:19:07 +0100
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I use rawhide leather welding gauntlets. No idea about price as
>>> I've had my pair for around twenty years.
>>>

>> https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/welding-gloves/cat5530002
>>

> Do they also work on pyracantha thorns, which will go through the sole
> of a shoe if you step on them?

"Up to a point, Lord Copper." (No pun intended, but I'll claim it.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uep42d$1al5r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3315&group=uk.rec.gardening#3315

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 10:46:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 10:46 UTC

On 24 Sep 2023 at 10:25:32 BST, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> On 24/09/2023 08:50, Joe wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:19:07 +0100
>> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/welding-gloves/cat5530002
>>>

>> Do they also work on pyracantha thorns, which will go through the sole
>> of a shoe if you step on them?
>>
> Or Blackthorn, which is very similar.
> Surprisingly THISTLES will penetrate ordinary gardening gloves too.

As will nettles . . .

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Gloves for brambles

<mWk*0xarz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3316&group=uk.rec.gardening#3316

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: 24 Sep 2023 12:04:48 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 11:04 UTC

In uk.d-i-y Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:19:07 +0100
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On 23/09/2023 20:11, RustyHinge wrote:
> > > I use rawhide leather welding gauntlets. No idea about price as
> > > I've had my pair for around twenty years.
> > >

> > https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/welding-gloves/cat5530002
>
> Do they also work on pyracantha thorns, which will go through the sole
> of a shoe if you step on them?

I did some pyracantha trimming, and the Silverline ones were fine for that.
I just held branches while I cut them and picked up the cut pieces - I
wasn't yanking them, so wasn't really testing jamming the thorns into the
gloves.

Theo

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uep7f2$1b4i5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3317&group=uk.rec.gardening#3317

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 12:44:34 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 11:44 UTC

On 24/09/2023 08:50, Joe wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:19:07 +0100
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I use rawhide leather welding gauntlets. No idea about price as
>>> I've had my pair for around twenty years.
>>>

>> https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/welding-gloves/cat5530002
>>

> Do they also work on pyracantha thorns, which will go through the sole
> of a shoe if you step on them?

All pussycats compared to this devil, which would probably penetrate
Chobham armour!
<https://www.giromagicactusandsucculents.com/cylindropuntia-tunicata/>
"The spines of Cylindropuntia tunicata are extremely sharp and barbed,
making them difficult to remove from skin or clothing. In fact, they are
so sharp that they were used by Native Americans as fishhooks and sewing
needles."

I still grow it, but inside a cut-off plastic drinks bottle! I've been
spiked too many times by it, and the barbed spines are no joke - they do
not come out without a lot of pulling.

--

Jeff

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uepm8i$1do78$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3320&group=uk.rec.gardening#3320

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 16:57:06 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 15:57 UTC

On 24/09/2023 11:46, RJH wrote:
> On 24 Sep 2023 at 10:25:32 BST, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> On 24/09/2023 08:50, Joe wrote:

>>> Do they also work on pyracantha thorns, which will go through the sole
>>> of a shoe if you step on them?
>>>
>> Or Blackthorn, which is very similar.
>> Surprisingly THISTLES will penetrate ordinary gardening gloves too.
>
> As will nettles . . .

If your nettles penetrate rawhide gloves you must have some ferocious
examples - oh! Ordinary gardening gloves.

Well, cheapjack ripoff gardening gloves, mayhap...

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uepnnk$1e23q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3321&group=uk.rec.gardening#3321

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:22:11 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 16:22 UTC

How is it when lots of other things stop growing, Brambles carry on
regardless. Now I like Blackberries as much as the next person, but I and my
neighbour want them to stay where they are put, not all over the gardens!

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
>A recommendation, rather than an ask, bought a set of these leather/kevlar
>gloves for under a tenner (make sure to select the 6044 green version).
>
> <https://ebay.co.uk/itm/114638841930?var=414806874080>
>
> They make your hands *absolutely* *invincible* against brambles, pulling
> with all my might to disentangle two year old woody brambles from a hedge,
> letting thorns slip through your hands as you pull on them, grasping as
> tight as you can on them, all without feeling
> anything at all.

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uepnrh$1e321$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3322&group=uk.rec.gardening#3322

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:24:16 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 16:24 UTC

How far up the arm do these bramble gloves go? Not being able to see, I
often find ordinary garden gloves result in my arms being scratched to hell.
Brian

--

--:
"Theo" <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
> In uk.d-i-y Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> A recommendation, rather than an ask, bought a set of these
>> leather/kevlar gloves for under a tenner (make sure to select the 6044
>> green version).
>>
>> <https://ebay.co.uk/itm/114638841930?var=414806874080>
>>
>> They make your hands *absolutely* *invincible* against brambles,
>> pulling with all my might to disentangle two year old woody brambles
>> from a hedge, letting thorns slip through your hands as you pull on
>> them, grasping as tight as you can on them, all without feeling
>> anything at all.
>
> On a similar note I had to improvise for some clearance work recently, and
> resorted to using some 'welder's gauntlets' I had lying around:
> https://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB/Product/ProductDetail?ModelName=282389
>
> Worked a treat, didn't feel any thorns. The downsides are they aren't
> waterproof, so they got wet pretty easily, and a little of the red
> colouring
> transferred to my fingers.
>
> I expect yours are superior...
>
> Theo

Re: Gloves for brambles

<knb6e4FmfujU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3323&group=uk.rec.gardening#3323

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:28:52 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 16:28 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> How far up the arm do these bramble gloves go?

As far as my shirt sleeves, which somewhat surprisingly was enough to
stop my wrists getting attacked, there's a button-hole at the end of
each cuff, not sure if you're intended to hook them onto your shirt
sleeve buttons, but it would be impossible while wearing such thick gloves.

Re: Gloves for brambles

<ueppti$1ef7d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3324&group=uk.rec.gardening#3324

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 16:59:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 16:59 UTC

On 24 Sep 2023 at 16:57:06 BST, RustyHinge wrote:

> On 24/09/2023 11:46, RJH wrote:

>>> Or Blackthorn, which is very similar.
>>> Surprisingly THISTLES will penetrate ordinary gardening gloves too.
>>
>> As will nettles . . .
>>
> If your nettles penetrate rawhide gloves you must have some ferocious
> examples - oh! Ordinary gardening gloves.
>
> Well, cheapjack ripoff gardening gloves, mayhap...

Chrome leather - nobody more surprised than me!

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uepqmr$1ek60$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3325&group=uk.rec.gardening#3325

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 18:12:59 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:12 UTC

On 24/09/2023 17:59, RJH wrote:
> On 24 Sep 2023 at 16:57:06 BST, RustyHinge wrote:

>>> As will nettles . . .
>>>
>> If your nettles penetrate rawhide gloves you must have some ferocious
>> examples - oh! Ordinary gardening gloves.
>>
>> Well, cheapjack ripoff gardening gloves, mayhap...
>
> Chrome leather - nobody more surprised than me!

Ah1 *Chrome* leather - newfangled tanning process when I were a lad! You
always had to try to get traditionally-tanned boots if you could - all
postwar Army boots (all, I think) were chrome leather. Took an age to
get 'right' and a deep, dark polish (not Polish) on them.

'SHUN!

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uepr30$1ek7h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3326&group=uk.rec.gardening#3326

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 18:19:29 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:19 UTC

On 24/09/2023 17:24, Brian Gaff wrote:

Beware! Top post for Brian:

My welding gauntlets' cuffs come halfway up my forearm.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uepuqm$1fbam$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3327&group=uk.rec.gardening#3327

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 19:23:18 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 18:23 UTC

On 24/09/2023 17:59, RJH wrote:
> On 24 Sep 2023 at 16:57:06 BST, RustyHinge wrote:

>>> As will nettles . . .
>>>
>> If your nettles penetrate rawhide gloves you must have some ferocious
>> examples - oh! Ordinary gardening gloves.
>>
>> Well, cheapjack ripoff gardening gloves, mayhap...
>
> Chrome leather - nobody more surprised than me!

I've found cheapo gardening gloves just fine for nettles.
But pyracantha, blackthorn and thistles are in another realm

--
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They
always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them"

Margaret Thatcher

Re: Gloves for brambles

<50b85513-3c40-4de4-a51e-0ac25f5fb9e9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3328&group=uk.rec.gardening#3328

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 01:59:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: tpmccann@gmail.com (Paul Mc Cann)
 by: Paul Mc Cann - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 08:59 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 7:23:22 PM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 24/09/2023 17:59, RJH wrote:

> >> If your nettles penetrate rawhide gloves you must have some ferocious
> >> examples - oh! Ordinary gardening gloves.
> >>
> >> Well, cheapjack ripoff gardening gloves, mayhap...
> >
> > Chrome leather - nobody more surprised than me!
> >
> I've found cheapo gardening gloves just fine for nettles.
> But pyracantha, blackthorn and thistles are in another realm
>
> --
> "Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They
> always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them"
>
> Margaret Thatcher

Brambles will still get you even when brown and dead. They will grow right up through a shrub and reach for overhead trees. I have found SBK mixed with Roundup will kill them , and alsoground ivy, but its hard to apply when they are growing amidst shrubs and flowers

Re: Gloves for brambles

<ueriku$1r7f8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3329&group=uk.rec.gardening#3329

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:07:40 +0100
 by: wasbit - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 09:07 UTC

On 24/09/2023 09:55, Andy Burns wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>
>> Do they also work on pyracantha thorns
>
> None available to test, will see how they fare on Blackthorns

I expect you are aware, but others may not be, that a blacktorn in the
skin is notorious for turning septic.
Also goes under the name of sloe, buckthorn, bullace, etc.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uerk9g$1rf36$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3330&group=uk.rec.gardening#3330

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:35:44 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 09:35 UTC

On 25/09/2023 10:07, wasbit wrote:
> On 24/09/2023 09:55, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Joe wrote:
>>
>>> Do they also work on pyracantha thorns
>>
>> None available to test, will see how they fare on Blackthorns
>
> I expect you are aware, but others may not be, that a blacktorn in the
> skin is notorious for turning septic.
In my case not septic, but caused warts for YEARS until I went on the
attack with chemical weapons and a scalpel..and finally got the buried
bit out

> Also goes under the name of sloe, buckthorn, bullace, etc.

Bullace is not blackthorn.

It's more a proto black plum, and is very like a damson. I have Bullace
(small black plums) Mirabelle (small green gage like plums) blackthorn
(sloes) all growing wild in my hedges ...

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.