Asked if he believes in one God, a mathematician answered: " Yes, up to isomorphism."

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Gloves for brambles

SubjectAuthor
* Gloves for bramblesAndy Burns
+* Gloves for bramblesTheo
|+- Gloves for bramblesFredxx
|+- Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|+- Gloves for bramblesRobert
|`* Gloves for bramblesBrian Gaff
| +- Gloves for bramblesAndy Burns
| `- Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
+* Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|`* Gloves for bramblesalan_m
| `* Gloves for bramblesJoe
|  +* Gloves for bramblesAndy Burns
|  |`* Gloves for brambleswasbit
|  | +* Gloves for bramblesThe Natural Philosopher
|  | |`- Gloves for bramblesAndy Burns
|  | `* Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  |  `* Gloves for bramblesThe Natural Philosopher
|  |   +* Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  |   |`- Gloves for bramblesNick Maclaren
|  |   `* Gloves for bramblesAndy Burns
|  |    +* Gloves for bramblesTim+
|  |    |+- Gloves for bramblesJeff Layman
|  |    |`- Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  |    `- Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  +* Gloves for bramblesThe Natural Philosopher
|  |`* Gloves for bramblesRJH
|  | `* Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  |  `* Gloves for bramblesRJH
|  |   +- Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  |   `* Gloves for bramblesThe Natural Philosopher
|  |    `- Gloves for bramblesPaul Mc Cann
|  +- Gloves for bramblesRustyHinge
|  +- Gloves for bramblesTheo
|  `- Gloves for bramblesJeff Layman
`- Gloves for bramblesBrian Gaff

Pages:12
Re: Gloves for brambles

<knd3k0F1vuoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3331&group=uk.rec.gardening#3331

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Gloves for brambles
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:53:06 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 09:53 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> In my case not septic,  but caused warts for YEARS until I went on the
> attack with chemical weapons and a scalpel..and finally got the buried
> bit out

I got the tip of a thistle in my finger a few weeks ago, I think it's
all out now (no redness/itchiness left) but there *is* still a
suspicious pin-prick centred in the skin where it used to be ...

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uerls1$1rqjv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3332&group=uk.rec.gardening#3332

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 11:02:40 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:02 UTC

On 25/09/2023 10:07, wasbit wrote:
> On 24/09/2023 09:55, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Joe wrote:
>>
>>> Do they also work on pyracantha thorns
>>
>> None available to test, will see how they fare on Blackthorns
>
> I expect you are aware, but others may not be, that a blacktorn in the
> skin is notorious for turning septic.
> Also goes under the name of sloe, buckthorn, bullace, etc.

Buckthorn (Rhamnus sp.) is entirely different, and largely, if not
entirely, foreigh. (Asia, N. America)

Sloe (Prunus sp., in Rosacae), is related to Bullace which has a larger
drupe, something the size of a damson or small plum. Bullaces often have
no spines and tend to grow as straight whips, around six to eight feet
in height, but can grow into a small tree. Bullaces can be dark like
sloes, or green like gages, and are always larger, and can be either
plum-shaped or globular. Green fruit ripen to a gold colour. Etc:- I
have no knowledge of that species.

Unless there are local synonyms, 'sloe' and 'blackthorn' are the only
accepted names, varieties of sloe (slee, etc across Europe and maybe
further afield) shows it has been a cultivated species widely and from
time immememorial, and its products traded since early times.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Gloves for brambles

<ueronj$1rrga$11@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3333&group=uk.rec.gardening#3333

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 11:51:31 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:51 UTC

On 25/09/2023 11:02, RustyHinge wrote:
> Unless there are local synonyms, 'sloe' and 'blackthorn' are the only
> accepted names, varieties of sloe (slee, etc across Europe and maybe
> further afield) shows it has been a cultivated species widely and from
> time immememorial, and its products traded since early times.

+1.

It seems that 'bullace' is also used for the 'wild greengage' of which I
have many - I always called them 'mirabelle'.

They are a fiddle to eat but very delicious, which the dark bullace
fruits are not. Very mouth puckering.

Damsons and Sloes are even worse.

Re: Gloves for brambles

<ueru6g$1tjil$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3334&group=uk.rec.gardening#3334

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 13:24:47 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 12:24 UTC

> On 25/09/2023 11:02, RustyHinge wrote:
>> Unless there are local synonyms, 'sloe' and 'blackthorn' are the only
>> accepted names, varieties of sloe (slee, etc across Europe and maybe
>> further afield) shows it has been a cultivated species widely and from
>> time immememorial, and its products traded since early times.
> >
> It seems that 'bullace' is also used for the 'wild greengage' of which I
> have many - I always called them

'mirabelle'.

Mirabelle is a species of cherry-plum, I think. It is much used for
brewing and distilling into a sort of slivovitz. I prefer it made from
the Quetsch plum.

> They are a fiddle to eat but very delicious, which the dark bullace
> fruits are not. Very mouth puckering.

Only if you don't let them ripen properly. I used to have a stand of
blue bullaces and not many of them ever got much further when they
mmmmm! Chomp, slurp, ping!

> Damsons and Sloes are even worse.

Never. Ripe damsons are delish. Sloes are OK once they've had a frost on
them. Not a lot of frost about these days? Put ripe drupes into the
freezer. (But let them defrost before you try to scoff them!)

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Gloves for brambles

<kndf02F3pd6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3335&group=uk.rec.gardening#3335

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:07:16 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 13:07 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> It seems that 'bullace' is also used for the 'wild greengage' of which I
> have many - I always called them 'mirabelle'.
>
> They are a fiddle to eat but very delicious, which the dark bullace
> fruits are not. Very mouth puckering.
>
> Damsons and Sloes are even worse.

I've never tried eating a sloe, I was quite surprised to find them
within a hedge last year, tried to find someone who might want to make
sloe gin, but found no takers ... the birds soon found them and finished
them off.

Re: Gloves for brambles

<2036000400.717344983.455688.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3336&group=uk.rec.gardening#3336

From: tim.downie@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: 25 Sep 2023 14:33:23 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:33 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> It seems that 'bullace' is also used for the 'wild greengage' of which I
>> have many - I always called them 'mirabelle'.
>>
>> They are a fiddle to eat but very delicious, which the dark bullace
>> fruits are not. Very mouth puckering.
>>
>> Damsons and Sloes are even worse.
>
> I've never tried eating a sloe, I was quite surprised to find them
> within a hedge last year, tried to find someone who might want to make
> sloe gin, but found no takers ... the birds soon found them and finished
> them off.

I try eating them every year. I mean, when you see a fat ripe luscious
looking one it’s hard not to, right?

Apart from taking a small nibble they nearly all get spat out again. Looks
can be deceptive. ;-)

I’ve never heard of anyone eating sloes. I did make some sloe and apple
jam a couple of years ago but even that had a slight mouth puckering
aftertaste/feel. I think it’s still lurking at the back of the fridge…

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uesbjb$20eat$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3337&group=uk.rec.gardening#3337

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:13:31 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 16:13 UTC

On 25/09/2023 15:33, Tim+ wrote:
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>
>>> It seems that 'bullace' is also used for the 'wild greengage' of which I
>>> have many - I always called them 'mirabelle'.
>>>
>>> They are a fiddle to eat but very delicious, which the dark bullace
>>> fruits are not. Very mouth puckering.
>>>
>>> Damsons and Sloes are even worse.
>>
>> I've never tried eating a sloe, I was quite surprised to find them
>> within a hedge last year, tried to find someone who might want to make
>> sloe gin, but found no takers ... the birds soon found them and finished
>> them off.
>>

> I try eating them every year. I mean, when you see a fat ripe luscious
> looking one it’s hard not to, right?
>
> Apart from taking a small nibble they nearly all get spat out again. Looks
> can be deceptive. ;-)
>
> I’ve never heard of anyone eating sloes. I did make some sloe and apple
> jam a couple of years ago but even that had a slight mouth puckering
> aftertaste/feel. I think it’s still lurking at the back of the fridge…

After making (and drinking...) sloe gin, you are left with many sweet
and alcoholic sloes. Many years ago, I cut the flesh off these and
melted them into dark chocolate to make a sort of liqueur chocolate - a
bit like cherry brandy chocs. They weren't at all bad.

--

Jeff

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uesfbf$216i6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3338&group=uk.rec.gardening#3338

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 18:17:34 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:17 UTC

On 25/09/2023 14:07, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> It seems that 'bullace' is also used for the 'wild greengage' of which
>> I have many - I always called them 'mirabelle'.
>>
>> They are a fiddle to eat but very delicious, which the dark bullace
>> fruits are not. Very mouth puckering.
>>
>> Damsons and Sloes are even worse.
>
> I've never tried eating a sloe, I was quite surprised to find them
> within a hedge last year, tried to find someone who might want to make
> sloe gin, but found no takers ... the birds soon found them and finished
> them off.

Try a good white rum - warmer than gin. Not that I'd refuse one - skaal!

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Gloves for brambles

<uesflq$219k8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3339&group=uk.rec.gardening#3339

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 18:23:04 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:23 UTC

On 25/09/2023 15:33, Tim+ wrote:
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>
>>> It seems that 'bullace' is also used for the 'wild greengage' of which I
>>> have many - I always called them 'mirabelle'.
>>>
>>> They are a fiddle to eat but very delicious, which the dark bullace
>>> fruits are not. Very mouth puckering.
>>>
>>> Damsons and Sloes are even worse.
>>
>> I've never tried eating a sloe, I was quite surprised to find them
>> within a hedge last year, tried to find someone who might want to make
>> sloe gin, but found no takers ... the birds soon found them and finished
>> them off.
>>

> I try eating them every year. I mean, when you see a fat ripe luscious
> looking one it’s hard not to, right?
>
> Apart from taking a small nibble they nearly all get spat out again. Looks
> can be deceptive. ;-)
>
> I’ve never heard of anyone eating sloes. I did make some sloe and apple
> jam a couple of years ago but even that had a slight mouth puckering
> aftertaste/feel. I think it’s still lurking at the back of the fridge…

If you aren't going to eat it, turn it into wine, or steep it in spirit
and strain it. *Then* use thev residue ash cham. S'lushuss

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Gloves for brambles

<ueu6ab$2e6p5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3340&group=uk.rec.gardening#3340

From: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:55:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:55 UTC

In article <ueru6g$1tjil$1@dont-email.me>,
RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Unless there are local synonyms, 'sloe' and 'blackthorn' are the only
>>> accepted names, varieties of sloe (slee, etc across Europe and maybe
>>> further afield) shows it has been a cultivated species widely and from
>>> time immememorial, and its products traded since early times.
>> >
>> It seems that 'bullace' is also used for the 'wild greengage' of which I
>> have many - I always called them
>
>'mirabelle'.
>
>Mirabelle is a species of cherry-plum, I think. It is much used for
>brewing and distilling into a sort of slivovitz. I prefer it made from
>the Quetsch plum.

Yes, it is. Cherry-plum is Prunus cerasifera and is diploid, sloe is
P. spinosa and is tetraploid, and bullace, damson and common plums
are P. domestica and are hexaploid. Their ancestry is still under
debate but it is likely that they are descendants in that order.

>> Damsons and Sloes are even worse.
>
>Never. Ripe damsons are delish. Sloes are OK once they've had a frost on
>them. Not a lot of frost about these days? Put ripe drupes into the
>freezer. (But let them defrost before you try to scoff them!)

I eat sloes straight off the bush, in small numbers. I like the
astringency.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.