I don't remember it, but I have it written down.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Such shallot

SubjectAuthor
* Such shallotRustyHinge
+- Such shallottahiri
`* Such shallotSn!pe
 `* Such shallotRustyHinge
  +* Such shallotKerr-Mudd, John
  |`- Such shallotRustyHinge
  +* Such shallotVir Campestris
  |+* Such shallotThe Natural Philosopher
  ||`- Such shallotVir Campestris
  |`- Such shallotRustyHinge
  `* Such shallotvickiebee
   +* Such shallotChris Green
   |`* Such shallotvickiebee
   | +* Such shallotRustyHinge
   | |+* Such shallotAhem A Rivet's Shot
   | ||+* Such shallotRustyHinge
   | ||`- Such shallotvickiebee
   | |`- Such shallotvickiebee
   | `* Such shallotAdrian
   |  `* Such shallotvickiebee
   |   `* Such shallotAdrian
   |    +- Such shallotKerr-Mudd, John
   |    `* Such shallotvickiebee
   |     `* Such shallotAdrian
   |      +* Such shallotRustyHinge
   |      |+- Such shallotKerr-Mudd, John
   |      |`* Such shallotvickiebee
   |      | `* Such shallotRustyHinge
   |      |  `* Such shallotvickiebee
   |      |   `- Such shallotRustyHinge
   |      `* Such shallotAdrian
   |       +* Such shallotNick Maclaren
   |       |`- Such shallotRustyHinge
   |       `* Such shallotvickiebee
   |        +- Such shallotThe Natural Philosopher
   |        +* Such shallotRustyHinge
   |        |`* Such shallotvickiebee
   |        | `* Such shallotRustyHinge
   |        |  `* Such shallotvickiebee
   |        |   +* Such shallotJohn Williamson
   |        |   |`* Such shallotvickiebee
   |        |   | +* Such shallotThe Natural Philosopher
   |        |   | |`* Such shallotvickiebee
   |        |   | | +* Such shallotJohn Williamson
   |        |   | | |+- Such shallotvickiebee
   |        |   | | |+- Such shallotSn!pe
   |        |   | | |`- Such shallotRustyHinge
   |        |   | | `- Such shallotThe Natural Philosopher
   |        |   | `- Such shallotRustyHinge
   |        |   `* Such shallotRustyHinge
   |        |    `* Such shallotvickiebee
   |        |     `- Such shallotAhem A Rivet's Shot
   |        `* Such shallotBen Newsam
   |         `* Such shallotvickiebee
   |          +* Such shallotRustyHinge
   |          |`* Such shallotvickiebee
   |          | +- Such shallotRustyHinge
   |          | `- Such shallotRustyHinge
   |          `- Such shallotBen Newsam
   `- Such shallotRustyHinge

Pages:123
Such shallot

<uff3uc$332rh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3341&group=uk.rec.gardening#3341

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Subject: Such shallot
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 19:59:23 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 18:59 UTC

One for Snipe, this: crosspost u.r.g/a.2.e.s.b.t.2t.lt.cl

Carer brought the shopping home: I'd got shallots on the list and my
first reaction to the bag of bulbs was: "They're pickling On!ons, not
shallots!

On!on-shaped to a 't' - round and dumpy, they were On!on-shaped, not the
long, sometimes slightly curved clumped pointy things *I* call 'shallots'.

But, from Wicked Pædia:

"The shallot is a botanical variety (a cultivar) of the onion. Until
2010, the (French red) shallot was classified as a separate species,
Allium ascalonicum. The taxon was synonymized with Allium cepa (the
common onion) in 2010, as the difference was too small to justify a
separate species.

As part of the onion genus Allium, its close relatives include garlic,
scallions, leeks, chives, and the Chinese onion."

To me, the shallot has a distinctive growth-pattern reminiscent of
garlic bulbs, without the sheath of dead outside layers which embrace
'El Spanielbreath'.

Show me a plot of those and I think "Shallots" not "Onions".

I don't know the criteria for separating species, but IMO the French
Shallot is sufficiently different in shape, growth pattern, flavour and
appearance to justify separation from Allium cepa.

Puts me in mind of the taxonomical stir in the classification of many
fungi - they seem to leap not only in specific name but often from genus
to genus - qv Rhodocybe gemina...

Does the team think some taxonomists are trying to make a name for
themselves? The field of mycology is littered with specific names
attended by asides indicating the 'authority' of the namer.

Comments solicited.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Such shallot

<YgidnXJiTegXvIb4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3342&group=uk.rec.gardening#3342

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:01:14 +0100
Subject: Re: Such shallot
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
From: tahiri2@tanygraig.force9.co.uk (tahiri)
 by: tahiri - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 20:01 UTC

On 02/10/2023 19:59, RustyHinge wrote:
> One for Snipe, this: crosspost u.r.g/a.2.e.s.b.t.2t.lt.cl
>
> Carer brought the shopping home: I'd got shallots on the list and my
> first reaction to the bag of bulbs was: "They're pickling On!ons, not
> shallots!
>
> On!on-shaped to a 't' - round and dumpy, they were On!on-shaped, not the
> long, sometimes slightly curved clumped pointy things *I* call 'shallots'.
>
> But, from Wicked Pædia:
>
> "The shallot is a botanical variety (a cultivar) of the onion. Until
> 2010, the (French red) shallot was classified as a separate species,
> Allium ascalonicum. The taxon was synonymized with Allium cepa (the
> common onion) in 2010, as the difference was too small to justify a
> separate species.
>
> As part of the onion genus Allium, its close relatives include garlic,
> scallions, leeks, chives, and the Chinese onion."
>
> To me, the shallot has a distinctive growth-pattern reminiscent of
> garlic bulbs, without the sheath of dead outside layers which embrace
> 'El Spanielbreath'.
>
> Show me a plot of those and I think "Shallots" not "Onions".
>
> I don't know the criteria for separating species, but IMO the French
> Shallot is sufficiently different in shape, growth pattern, flavour and
> appearance to justify separation from Allium cepa.
>
> Puts me in mind of the taxonomical stir in the classification of many
> fungi - they seem to leap not only in specific name but often from genus
> to genus - qv Rhodocybe gemina...
>
> Does the team think some taxonomists are trying to make a name for
> themselves? The field of mycology is littered with specific names
> attended by asides indicating the 'authority' of the namer.
>
> Comments solicited.

I used to work in a place that sold such things. I think we did have the
occasional batch of shallots that were round and dumpy like onions. I
certainly remember some big onions that were all stretched out like
shallots. I suspect the whole family are a bit unpredictable in
appearance and what you get depends how fussy about appearance they get
in the receiving warehouse.

Re: Such shallot

<1qi09fo.1xf4v9v1lq7oxsN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3343&group=uk.rec.gardening#3343

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 03:32:23 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 02:32 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> One for Snipe, this: crosspost u.r.g/a.2.e.s.b.t.2t.lt.cl
>
> Carer brought the shopping home: I'd got shallots on the list and my
> first reaction to the bag of bulbs was: "They're pickling On!ons, not
> shallots!
>
> On!on-shaped to a 't' - round and dumpy, they were On!on-shaped, not the
> long, sometimes slightly curved clumped pointy things *I* call 'shallots'.
>
> But, from Wicked Pædia:
>
> "The shallot is a botanical variety (a cultivar) of the onion. Until
> 2010, the (French red) shallot was classified as a separate species,
> Allium ascalonicum. The taxon was synonymized with Allium cepa (the
> common onion) in 2010, as the difference was too small to justify a
> separate species.
>
> As part of the onion genus Allium, its close relatives include garlic,
> scallions, leeks, chives, and the Chinese onion."
>
> To me, the shallot has a distinctive growth-pattern reminiscent of
> garlic bulbs, without the sheath of dead outside layers which embrace
> 'El Spanielbreath'.
>
> Show me a plot of those and I think "Shallots" not "Onions".
>
> I don't know the criteria for separating species, but IMO the French
> Shallot is sufficiently different in shape, growth pattern, flavour and
> appearance to justify separation from Allium cepa.
>
> Puts me in mind of the taxonomical stir in the classification of many
> fungi - they seem to leap not only in specific name but often from genus
> to genus - qv Rhodocybe gemina...
>
> Does the team think some taxonomists are trying to make a name for
> themselves? The field of mycology is littered with specific names
> attended by asides indicating the 'authority' of the namer.
>
> Comments solicited.

All I can say is that I love all varieties of the On!on family except
for the interloper, garlic [spit], which IMO is the Spawn of Stan.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: Such shallot

<ufg4io$3cp0t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3344&group=uk.rec.gardening#3344

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 05:16:23 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 04:16 UTC

On 03/10/2023 03:32, Sn!pe wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> One for Snipe, this: crosspost u.r.g/a.2.e.s.b.t.2t.lt.cl
>>
>> Carer brought the shopping home: I'd got shallots on the list and my
>> first reaction to the bag of bulbs was: "They're pickling On!ons, not
>> shallots!
>>
>> On!on-shaped to a 't' - round and dumpy, they were On!on-shaped, not the
>> long, sometimes slightly curved clumped pointy things *I* call 'shallots'.
>>
>> But, from Wicked Pædia:
>>
>> "The shallot is a botanical variety (a cultivar) of the onion. Until
>> 2010, the (French red) shallot was classified as a separate species,
>> Allium ascalonicum. The taxon was synonymized with Allium cepa (the
>> common onion) in 2010, as the difference was too small to justify a
>> separate species.
>>
>> As part of the onion genus Allium, its close relatives include garlic,
>> scallions, leeks, chives, and the Chinese onion."
>>
>> To me, the shallot has a distinctive growth-pattern reminiscent of
>> garlic bulbs, without the sheath of dead outside layers which embrace
>> 'El Spanielbreath'.
>>
>> Show me a plot of those and I think "Shallots" not "Onions".
>>
>> I don't know the criteria for separating species, but IMO the French
>> Shallot is sufficiently different in shape, growth pattern, flavour and
>> appearance to justify separation from Allium cepa.
>>
>> Puts me in mind of the taxonomical stir in the classification of many
>> fungi - they seem to leap not only in specific name but often from genus
>> to genus - qv Rhodocybe gemina...
>>
>> Does the team think some taxonomists are trying to make a name for
>> themselves? The field of mycology is littered with specific names
>> attended by asides indicating the 'authority' of the namer.
>>
>> Comments solicited.
>>

> All I can say is that I love all varieties of the On!on family except
> for the interloper, garlic [spit], which IMO is the Spawn of Stan.

Whereas, when I was young and foolish the merest wipe of garlic was a
no-no, but I grew vwiser and began to appreciate it in proportions that
would be admired by a Frenchperson or a Spaniard.

Last week I fried a small tear-jerking On!on with some chopped celery
and two small, chopped plump cloves of Garl!c.

Eggs is the spawn of Stan.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Such shallot

<20231003091716.d247f28a9307ec7ed43d10f1@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3345&group=uk.rec.gardening#3345

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 09:17:16 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 08:17 UTC

On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 05:16:23 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 03/10/2023 03:32, Sn!pe wrote:
> > RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> One for Snipe, this: crosspost u.r.g/a.2.e.s.b.t.2t.lt.cl
> >>
> >> Carer brought the shopping home: I'd got shallots on the list and my
> >> first reaction to the bag of bulbs was: "They're pickling On!ons, not
> >> shallots!
> >>
> >> On!on-shaped to a 't' - round and dumpy, they were On!on-shaped, not the
> >> long, sometimes slightly curved clumped pointy things *I* call 'shallots'.
> >>
> >> But, from Wicked Pædia:
> >>
> >> "The shallot is a botanical variety (a cultivar) of the onion. Until
> >> 2010, the (French red) shallot was classified as a separate species,
> >> Allium ascalonicum. The taxon was synonymized with Allium cepa (the
> >> common onion) in 2010, as the difference was too small to justify a
> >> separate species.
> >>
> >> As part of the onion genus Allium, its close relatives include garlic,
> >> scallions, leeks, chives, and the Chinese onion."
> >>
> >> To me, the shallot has a distinctive growth-pattern reminiscent of
> >> garlic bulbs, without the sheath of dead outside layers which embrace
> >> 'El Spanielbreath'.
> >>
> >> Show me a plot of those and I think "Shallots" not "Onions".
> >>
> >> I don't know the criteria for separating species, but IMO the French
> >> Shallot is sufficiently different in shape, growth pattern, flavour and
> >> appearance to justify separation from Allium cepa.
> >>
> >> Puts me in mind of the taxonomical stir in the classification of many
> >> fungi - they seem to leap not only in specific name but often from genus
> >> to genus - qv Rhodocybe gemina...
> >>
> >> Does the team think some taxonomists are trying to make a name for
> >> themselves? The field of mycology is littered with specific names
> >> attended by asides indicating the 'authority' of the namer.
> >>
> >> Comments solicited.
> >>

> > All I can say is that I love all varieties of the On!on family except
> > for the interloper, garlic [spit], which IMO is the Spawn of Stan.
> >
> Whereas, when I was young and foolish the merest wipe of garlic was a
> no-no, but I grew vwiser and began to appreciate it in proportions that
> would be admired by a Frenchperson or a Spaniard.
>
> Last week I fried a small tear-jerking On!on with some chopped celery
> and two small, chopped plump cloves of Garl!c.
>
> Eggs is the spawn of Stan.

IAWTP

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Such shallot

<ufgjps$3fc5a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3346&group=uk.rec.gardening#3346

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 09:36:13 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 08:36 UTC

WTP?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Such shallot

<ufgom2$3g848$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3348&group=uk.rec.gardening#3348

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 10:59:30 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 09:59 UTC

On 03/10/2023 05:16, RustyHinge wrote:

> Whereas, when I was young and foolish the merest wipe of garlic was a
> no-no, but I grew vwiser and began to appreciate it in proportions that
> would be admired by a Frenchperson or a Spaniard.

If your friends don't like garlic get new friends.

(Possibly after Diat, but I'm not sure!)
> Last week I fried a small tear-jerking On!on with some chopped celery
> and two small, chopped plump cloves of Garl!c.
>
> Eggs is the spawn of Stan.

With you there. My mother tried to wean me on eggs, and I spat them out.
I can tolerate them in cooking in small quantities, but that's about it.

Andy

Re: Such shallot

<ufgs6u$3h4ad$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3349&group=uk.rec.gardening#3349

From: prairiedove73505@aol.com (vickiebee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 05:59:40 -0500
 by: vickiebee - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 10:59 UTC

RustyHinge wrote:
[...]
> Whereas, when I was young and foolish the merest wipe of garlic was a
> no-no, but I grew vwiser and began to appreciate it in proportions
> that would be admired by a Frenchperson or a Spaniard.

~~~
"If you’ve never learned how to roast garlic, then you are in for a real
treat. While raw garlic is known for its pungent flavor, once roasted,
this aromatic ingredient mellows out into a wonderfully sweet and
caramelized, soft, buttery ingredient to mix and spread. You might even
find yourself eating it straight from the oven (I won’t blame you!)...."

https://www.alphafoodie.com/how-to-roast-garlic-in-the-oven/
v --
https://www.thefarside.com/

Re: Such shallot

<ufgu3o$3hg5q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3350&group=uk.rec.gardening#3350

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 12:32:08 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 11:32 UTC

On 03/10/2023 10:59, Vir Campestris wrote:
> On 03/10/2023 05:16, RustyHinge wrote:
>>>
>> Whereas, when I was young and foolish the merest wipe of garlic was a
>> no-no, but I grew vwiser and began to appreciate it in proportions
>> that would be admired by a Frenchperson or a Spaniard.
>>

> If your friends don't like garlic get new friends.
>
> (Possibly after Diat, but I'm not sure!)
>> Last week I fried a small tear-jerking On!on with some chopped celery
>> and two small, chopped plump cloves of Garl!c.
>>
>> Eggs is the spawn of Stan.
>
> With you there. My mother tried to wean me on eggs, and I spat them out.
> I can tolerate them in cooking in small quantities, but that's about it.
>
> Andy
Crikey. Eggs is manna from heaven.
Milk however....

Josef Stalin

Re: Such shallot

<1uatuj-a5112.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3351&group=uk.rec.gardening#3351

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 12:36:01 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 11:36 UTC

vickiebee <prairiedove73505@aol.com> wrote:
> RustyHinge wrote:
> [...]
> > Whereas, when I was young and foolish the merest wipe of garlic was a
> > no-no, but I grew vwiser and began to appreciate it in proportions
> > that would be admired by a Frenchperson or a Spaniard.
> >
> ~~~
> "If you’ve never learned how to roast garlic, then you are in for a real
> treat. While raw garlic is known for its pungent flavor, once roasted,
> this aromatic ingredient mellows out into a wonderfully sweet and
> caramelized, soft, buttery ingredient to mix and spread. You might even
> find yourself eating it straight from the oven (I won’t blame you!)...."

Isn't that what one does to garlic most of the time? For example we
have a 'garlic chicken' recipe that is simply chicken pieces baked in
the oven in a tray with some olive oil and pieces of garlic (plus
lemon and maybe some basil). As you say the garlic becomes quite
mellow. This is surely the way garlic works! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Such shallot

<ufh4b0$3io9k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3352&group=uk.rec.gardening#3352

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 14:18:22 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 13:18 UTC

On 03/10/2023 10:59, Vir Campestris wrote:
> On 03/10/2023 05:16, RustyHinge wrote:
>>>
>> Whereas, when I was young and foolish the merest wipe of garlic was a
>> no-no, but I grew vwiser and began to appreciate it in proportions
>> that would be admired by a Frenchperson or a Spaniard.
>>

> If your friends don't like garlic get new friends.
>
> (Possibly after Diat, but I'm not sure!)
>> Last week I fried a small tear-jerking On!on with some chopped celery
>> and two small, chopped plump cloves of Garl!c.
>>
>> Eggs is the spawn of Stan.
>
> With you there. My mother tried to wean me on eggs, and I spat them out.
> I can tolerate them in cooking in small quantities, but that's about it.

I can eat say, a batch of pancakes made with 1 egg and be OK. If I'm
greedy and make a batch with two eggs, it's a waste of time, flour,
eggs, milk &c 'cos it all gets regurglekated.

Bald egg, Fri degg, scrambled egg, omeletegg, etc = instant projectile v.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Such shallot

<ufh4fa$3io9k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3353&group=uk.rec.gardening#3353

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 14:20:42 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 13:20 UTC

On 03/10/2023 11:59, vickiebee wrote:
> RustyHinge wrote:
> [...]
>> Whereas, when I was young and foolish the merest wipe of garlic was a
>>  no-no, but I grew vwiser and began to appreciate it in proportions
>> that would be admired by a Frenchperson or a Spaniard.
>>
> ~~~
> "If you’ve never learned how to roast garlic, then you are in for a real
> treat. While raw garlic is known for its pungent flavor, once roasted,
> this aromatic ingredient mellows out into a wonderfully sweet and
> caramelized, soft, buttery ingredient to mix and spread. You might even
> find yourself eating it straight from the oven (I won’t blame you!)...."
>
> https://www.alphafoodie.com/how-to-roast-garlic-in-the-oven/

Hmmm. I'll give it a try - one day...

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Such shallot

<ufhs6g$3ndf3$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3354&group=uk.rec.gardening#3354

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 21:05:36 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 20:05 UTC

> Crikey. Eggs is manna from heaven.
> Milk however....

"One man's cheese is another man's rotten milk" (Niven)

Andy

Re: Such shallot

<ufja0l$3aqb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3355&group=uk.rec.gardening#3355

From: prairiedove73505@aol.com (vickiebee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 04:07:32 -0500
 by: vickiebee - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 09:07 UTC

Chris Green wrote:
> vickiebee <prairiedove73505@aol.com> wrote:
[..]

>> "If you’ve never learned how to roast garlic, then you are in for
>> a real treat. While raw garlic is known for its pungent flavor,
>> once roasted, this aromatic ingredient mellows out into a
>> wonderfully sweet and caramelized, soft, buttery ingredient to mix
>> and spread. You might even find yourself eating it straight from
>> the oven (I won’t blame you!)...."
>>
> Isn't that what one does to garlic most of the time? For example we
> have a 'garlic chicken' recipe that is simply chicken pieces baked
> in the oven in a tray with some olive oil and pieces of garlic (plus
> lemon and maybe some basil). As you say the garlic becomes quite
> mellow. This is surely the way garlic works! :-)

~~~
Your garlic chicken recipe sounds good, especially teamed up with lemon
and basil. I cook a lot of oriental stir-fry dishes using raw garlic,
which is usually crushed under the side of a knife. Roasted garlic is so
sweet that I like to make a thin paste of it on toasted bread with Italian
Bolognese.

v - bacon-eating vegetarian in Oklahomastan

--
https://www.thefarside.com/

Re: Such shallot

<ufjb44$3hdn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3356&group=uk.rec.gardening#3356

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 10:26:27 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 09:26 UTC

On 04/10/2023 10:07, vickiebee wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
>> vickiebee <prairiedove73505@aol.com> wrote:
> [..]
>>>
>>> "If you’ve never learned how to roast garlic, then you are in for
>>> a real treat. While raw garlic is known for its pungent flavor,
>>> once roasted, this aromatic ingredient mellows out into a
>>> wonderfully sweet and caramelized, soft, buttery ingredient to mix
>>> and spread. You might even find yourself eating it straight from
>>> the oven (I won’t blame you!)...."
>>>
>> Isn't that what one does to garlic most of the time?  For example we
>>  have a 'garlic chicken' recipe that is simply chicken pieces baked in
>> the oven in a tray with some olive oil and pieces of garlic (plus
>>  lemon and maybe some basil).  As you say the garlic becomes quite
>> mellow.  This is surely the way garlic works! :-)
>>
> ~~~
> Your garlic chicken recipe sounds good, especially teamed up with lemon
> and basil. I cook a lot of oriental stir-fry dishes using raw garlic,
> which is usually crushed under the side of a knife. Roasted garlic is so
> sweet that I like to make a thin paste of it on toasted bread with Italian
> Bolognese.
>
> v - bacon-eating vegetarian in Oklahomastan

OK OKie. What part of the Bacontree do rashers come from? I want one to
go with my sausage palm.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Such shallot

<20231004181925.171b7d0d9a37455eabcee4f2@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3357&group=uk.rec.gardening#3357

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:19:25 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:19 UTC

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 10:26:27 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 04/10/2023 10:07, vickiebee wrote:

> > v - bacon-eating vegetarian in Oklahomastan
>
> OK OKie. What part of the Bacontree do rashers come from? I want one to
> go with my sausage palm.

I think she's telling porkers.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Such shallot

<ufk86a$dtpn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3358&group=uk.rec.gardening#3358

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:42:33 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:42 UTC

On 04/10/2023 18:19, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 10:26:27 +0100
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 04/10/2023 10:07, vickiebee wrote:
>
>>> v - bacon-eating vegetarian in Oklahomastan
>>
>> OK OKie. What part of the Bacontree do rashers come from? I want one to
>> go with my sausage palm.
>
> I think she's telling porkers.

Nope. You might goo- er - think so if you've not encountered v. Just
expect the unexpected when you do. But always worth the effort.

<FX waves to v.>

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Such shallot

<4Yh1ZtCLraHlFwRS@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3359&group=uk.rec.gardening#3359

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 19:11:23 +0100
 by: Adrian - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:11 UTC

In message <ufja0l$3aqb$1@dont-email.me>, vickiebee
<prairiedove73505@aol.com> writes
>v - bacon-eating vegetarian in Oklahomastan

Ooh, I used to know the British version of one of those.

Waves to V

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: Such shallot

<ufm2cp$t4ne$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3360&group=uk.rec.gardening#3360

From: prairiedove73505@aol.com (vickiebee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 05:15:51 -0500
 by: vickiebee - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:15 UTC

RustyHinge wrote:
> On 04/10/2023 10:07, vickiebee wrote:
[..]
>> v - bacon-eating vegetarian in Oklahomastan
>
> OK OKie. What part of the Bacontree do rashers come from? I want one
> to go with my sausage palm.

~~~
;D I've heard it all. My true veggie friends keep warning me that bacon
is a gateway meat to Filet Mignon... but they're wrong. I do not hanker
for great hunks of rare beef on my plate. There's just something
seductive about the smell of bacon frying that tantalizes my brain.

v - happy Bacontarian
--
https://www.thefarside.com/

Re: Such shallot

<ufm2k7$t64p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3361&group=uk.rec.gardening#3361

From: prairiedove73505@aol.com (vickiebee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 05:19:49 -0500
 by: vickiebee - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:19 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 10:26:27 +0100
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 04/10/2023 10:07, vickiebee wrote:
>
>>> v - bacon-eating vegetarian in Oklahomastan
>>
>> OK OKie. What part of the Bacontree do rashers come from? I want one to
>> go with my sausage palm.
>
> I think she's telling porkers.

~~~
Hello Irish! You'd certainly be an expert on porkers. ;D

https://www.thefarside.com/

Re: Such shallot

<ufm2ti$t82o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3362&group=uk.rec.gardening#3362

From: prairiedove73505@aol.com (vickiebee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 05:24:48 -0500
 by: vickiebee - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:24 UTC

RustyHinge wrote:
> On 04/10/2023 18:19, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 10:26:27 +0100 RustyHinge
>> <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>>> OK OKie. What part of the Bacontree do rashers come from? I want
>>> one to go with my sausage palm.
>>
>> I think she's telling porkers.
>
> Nope. You might goo- er - think so if you've not encountered v. Just
> expect the unexpected when you do. But always worth the effort.
>
> <FX waves to v.>

~~~
Yeahbut you have to wade through a lot of rkgenarbhf penc to get to it.

Thank you Rusty... I think...
v --
https://www.thefarside.com/

Re: Such shallot

<ufm332$t915$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3363&group=uk.rec.gardening#3363

From: prairiedove73505@aol.com (vickiebee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 05:27:44 -0500
 by: vickiebee - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:27 UTC

Adrian wrote:
> In message <ufja0l$3aqb$1@dont-email.me>, vickiebee
> <prairiedove73505@aol.com> writes
>> v - bacon-eating vegetarian in Oklahomastan
>>

> Ooh, I used to know the British version of one of those.
>
> Waves to V
>
> Adrian
~~~
Hey Adrian, yes, our numbers are growing! OMG - have you ever tasted
chocolate-covered bacon?

https://www.thefarside.com/

Re: Such shallot

<JuCuhREGpqHlFwV+@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3365&group=uk.rec.gardening#3365

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 13:21:26 +0100
 by: Adrian - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 12:21 UTC

In message <ufm332$t915$1@dont-email.me>, vickiebee
<prairiedove73505@aol.com> writes
>Hey Adrian, yes, our numbers are growing! OMG - have you ever tasted
>chocolate-covered bacon?

This is probably heresy in these parts, but no. I'm not a bacon fan, I
like the smell, but not the taste. I have a fiend who is the same with
coffee.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Re: Such shallot

<20231006093445.c32d395b413972dd5419edd4@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3367&group=uk.rec.gardening#3367

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 09:34:45 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 08:34 UTC

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 13:21:26 +0100
Adrian <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:

> In message <ufm332$t915$1@dont-email.me>, vickiebee
> <prairiedove73505@aol.com> writes
> >Hey Adrian, yes, our numbers are growing! OMG - have you ever tasted
> >chocolate-covered bacon?
>
> This is probably heresy in these parts, but no. I'm not a bacon fan, I
> like the smell, but not the taste. I have a fiend who is the same with
> coffee.

Personally (and who else can speak for me?), I love the smell of tobacco.
On it's own. Not when set alight.

I can handle coffee in small quantities, but it's rarely as tasty as it
smells.
--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Such shallot

<ufp273$1if3l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3370&group=uk.rec.gardening#3370

From: prairiedove73505@aol.com (vickiebee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 08:31:13 -0500
 by: vickiebee - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 13:31 UTC

vickiebee wrote:
> RustyHinge wrote:
>> On 04/10/2023 18:19, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

>>> I think she's telling porkers.
>>
>> Nope. You might goo- er - think so if you've not encountered v.
>> Just expect the unexpected when you do. But always worth the
>> effort.
>>
>> <FX waves to v.>
>>
> ~~~ Yeahbut you have to wade through a lot of rkgenarbhf penc to get
> to it.
>
> Thank you Rusty... I think... v
~~~
Oh my, last night it occurred to me that this didn't sound right. I
meant wade through MY crap before I said anything of note. That's
another problem I have - making myself clear.

https://www.thefarside.com/