"I'm not a god, I was misquoted." -- Lister, Red Dwarf

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Allotment locks

SubjectAuthor
* Allotment locksJohn Ashby
+* Allotment locksThe Natural Philosopher
|+* Allotment locksBrian Gaff
||+* Allotment locksRustyHinge
|||+* Allotment locksalan_m
|||`* Allotment locksAndrew
||| +- Allotment locksThe Natural Philosopher
||| `* Allotment locksNick Maclaren
|||  `- Allotment locksThe Natural Philosopher
||`* Allotment locksAndrew
|| +* Allotment locksRustyHinge
|| |`* Allotment locksThe Natural Philosopher
|| | +* Allotment locksRustyHinge
|| | `* Allotment locksVir Campestris
|| |  `- Allotment locksThe Natural Philosopher
|| `- Allotment locksThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Allotment locksTricky Dicky
+- Allotment locksNick Maclaren
+* Allotment locksVir Campestris
|`* Allotment locksalan_m
| `- Allotment locksalan_m
`- Allotment locksJohn Ashby

Pages:12
Allotment locks

<ufosot$1h6pc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3368&group=uk.rec.gardening#3368

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Allotment locks
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 12:58:21 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 11:58 UTC

First up my apologies for jumping straight into a newsgroup without
following Emily Postnews's recommendation to lurk for six weeks, then
start gently.(And if you think six weeks is too long, lurk for twelve
weeks.)

A few years ago my allotment association switched from a keyed padlock
on the main gate to a combination one. These seem to last approximately
9 monthsbefore failing. Usually the bottom button release falls out and
is lost in the long grass but the latest one decided that its shackle
didn't need to be attached to the lock at either side.

We are a small site, about 30 plots, 50 plot holders so while a lock
gets a significant amount of use I wouldn't think it's excessive.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a robust make of lock for this
environment? Many Thanks

john

Re: Allotment locks

<ufov3b$1hob5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3369&group=uk.rec.gardening#3369

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Allotment locks
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 13:38:03 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 12:38 UTC

On 06/10/2023 12:58, John Ashby wrote:
> First up my apologies for jumping straight into a newsgroup without
> following Emily Postnews's recommendation to lurk for six weeks, then
> start gently.(And if you think six weeks is too long, lurk for twelve
> weeks.)
>
> A few years ago my allotment association switched from a keyed padlock
> on the main gate to a combination one. These seem to last approximately
> 9 monthsbefore failing. Usually the bottom button release falls out and
> is lost in the long grass but the latest one decided that its shackle
> didn't need to be attached to the lock at either side.
>
> We are a small site, about 30 plots, 50 plot holders so while a lock
> gets a significant amount of use I wouldn't think it's excessive.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for a robust make of lock for this
> environment? Many Thanks

I dont. but a wider knowledge base on matters mechanical is now a cross
post target

--
“Ideas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

Re: Allotment locks

<ufr4f2$2957q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3376&group=uk.rec.gardening#3376

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 09:21:50 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 08:21 UTC

Locks only deter the vandal or casual person. Somebody really intent in
getting in will come equipped, even though such short lives of locks sounds
like they were crappy in the first place.
Some of the Chubb padlocks are extremely sturdy, but its not of much use if
undoing a few screws can bypass the lock.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"The Natural Philosopher" <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 06/10/2023 12:58, John Ashby wrote:
>> First up my apologies for jumping straight into a newsgroup without
>> following Emily Postnews's recommendation to lurk for six weeks, then
>> start gently.(And if you think six weeks is too long, lurk for twelve
>> weeks.)
>>
>> A few years ago my allotment association switched from a keyed padlock on
>> the main gate to a combination one. These seem to last approximately 9
>> monthsbefore failing. Usually the bottom button release falls out and is
>> lost in the long grass but the latest one decided that its shackle didn't
>> need to be attached to the lock at either side.
>>
>> We are a small site, about 30 plots, 50 plot holders so while a lock gets
>> a significant amount of use I wouldn't think it's excessive.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations for a robust make of lock for this
>> environment? Many Thanks
>>
> I dont. but a wider knowledge base on matters mechanical is now a cross
> post target
>> john
>
> --
> "Ideas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of other
> ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"
>
> - John K Galbraith

Re: Allotment locks

<ufr618$29g1g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3377&group=uk.rec.gardening#3377

From: tricky.dicky@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 08:48:40 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:urRnzhqfupwwZ291xpg3WbZxohg=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 08:48 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 06/10/2023 12:58, John Ashby wrote:
>> First up my apologies for jumping straight into a newsgroup without
>> following Emily Postnews's recommendation to lurk for six weeks, then
>> start gently.(And if you think six weeks is too long, lurk for twelve
>> weeks.)
>>
>> A few years ago my allotment association switched from a keyed padlock
>> on the main gate to a combination one. These seem to last approximately
>> 9 monthsbefore failing. Usually the bottom button release falls out and
>> is lost in the long grass but the latest one decided that its shackle
>> didn't need to be attached to the lock at either side.
>>
>> We are a small site, about 30 plots, 50 plot holders so while a lock
>> gets a significant amount of use I wouldn't think it's excessive.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations for a robust make of lock for this
>> environment? Many Thanks
>>
> I dont. but a wider knowledge base on matters mechanical is now a cross
> post target
>> john

I have used these on two side gates and have not been disappointed. They
will require each member has a key

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/gatemate-locking-long-throw-gate-lock-50mm-gate-thickness-2-keyholes-316-stainless-steel-547772?vat=1&shoppingxp=true&gclid=CjwKCAjwg4SpBhAKEiwAdyLwvGiOr4VAwqdxBAFGYaDOMWYKqcJ8YHGuHIl5faZzooEWcZLZF6jUbBoCy5IQAvD_BwE

Richard

Re: Allotment locks

<ufr9qh$2aav1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3378&group=uk.rec.gardening#3378

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 10:53:20 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 09:53 UTC

On 07/10/2023 09:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Locks only deter the vandal or casual person. Somebody really intent in
> getting in will come equipped, even though such short lives of locks sounds
> like they were crappy in the first place.
> Some of the Chubb padlocks are extremely sturdy, but its not of much use if
> undoing a few screws can bypass the lock.

Chub is quality. If a security device is made by Chubb, the lock
component will be excellent and IME the rest well thought-out and sturdy.

The problem will then be what it's attached to, and how.

BTW, don't worry about 'jumping in', sometimes there are days in this
group (uk.reg.gardening) with no post. It used to be very well populated.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Allotment locks

<kocq7fF9olbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3379&group=uk.rec.gardening#3379

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 11:29:03 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 10:29 UTC

On 07/10/2023 10:53, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 07/10/2023 09:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> Locks only deter the  vandal or casual person. Somebody really intent in
>> getting in will come equipped, even though such short lives of locks
>> sounds
>> like they were crappy in the first place.
>>   Some of the Chubb padlocks are extremely sturdy, but its not of much
>> use if
>> undoing a few screws can bypass the lock.
>
> Chub is quality. If a security device is made by Chubb, the lock
> component will be excellent and IME the rest well thought-out and sturdy.
>
> The problem will then be what it's attached to, and how.
>
> BTW, don't worry about 'jumping in', sometimes there are days in this
> group (uk.reg.gardening) with no post. It used to be very well populated.

Isn't the problem with combination locks keeping the water out. Less of
a problem in SE Essex where there is no rain for months on end :)

One solution is a chain of conventional padlocks. Instead of needing 40
identical keys you can, say, have 10 padlocks each with 4 identical
keys. You have a chain around a gate and then a chain of padlocks where
the shackles are interlinked to form a chain. Undo any one of the
padlocks and the chain is undone.

A video explaining..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKg7MM5vIs8

I've seen this system work well on an (unmanned) English Heritage site
where the local community hold various events and there are multiple
trusted key holders plus allowing access to EH maintenance crews etc.
The main gates for any vehicle access have chains with around a dozen
padlocks.

This allows for some more robust pad locks rather than the general run
of micky mouse combination padlocks.

Re: Allotment locks

<ufrefi$2bacl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3382&group=uk.rec.gardening#3382

From: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 11:12:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 11:12 UTC

In article <ufosot$1h6pc$1@dont-email.me>,
John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:

>We are a small site, about 30 plots, 50 plot holders so while a lock
>gets a significant amount of use I wouldn't think it's excessive.
>
>Does anyone have any recommendations for a robust make of lock for this
>environment? Many Thanks

While there are doubtless decent-quality combination locks, most are
somewhere between total crap and poor-quality. I have bought from
this supplier and can recommend them.

http://www.englishchain.co.uk/

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Allotment locks

<ufrh0h$287n1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3383&group=uk.rec.gardening#3383

From: mail@michaelhumphrey.me.uk (Mike Humphrey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 11:56:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Humphrey - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 11:56 UTC

On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 11:29:03 +0100, alan_m wrote:
> One solution is a chain of conventional padlocks. Instead of needing 40
> identical keys you can, say, have 10 padlocks each with 4 identical
> keys. You have a chain around a gate and then a chain of padlocks where
> the shackles are interlinked to form a chain. Undo any one of the
> padlocks and the chain is undone.

The problem with that is someone re-locking the chain incorrectly can lock
out the other keyholders. You can get bolts with multiple padlock slots,
where removing any one of the padlocks allows access - here's a random
example https://www.everlocksystems.com/2016/09/14/everlocks-multi-lock-
product-highlight-slx-model/

Mike

Re: Allotment locks

<cd9cc142-2557-4f20-947a-292a1d1513d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3389&group=uk.rec.gardening#3389

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 06:33:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: tpmccann@gmail.com (Paul Mc Cann)
 by: Paul Mc Cann - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 13:33 UTC

On Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 12:56:04 PM UTC+1, Mike Humphrey wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 11:29:03 +0100, alan_m wrote:
> > One solution is a chain of conventional padlocks. Instead of needing 40
> > identical keys you can, say, have 10 padlocks each with 4 identical
> > keys. You have a chain around a gate and then a chain of padlocks where
> > the shackles are interlinked to form a chain. Undo any one of the
> > padlocks and the chain is undone.
> The problem with that is someone re-locking the chain incorrectly can lock
> out the other keyholders. You can get bolts with multiple padlock slots,
> where removing any one of the padlocks allows access - here's a random
> example https://www.everlocksystems.com/2016/09/14/everlocks-multi-lock-
> product-highlight-slx-model/
>
> Mike
When I wanted padlocks for my two sheds and asked for them to be keyed alike my local locksmith told me most of their supply of padlocks cam keyed alike as standard, So I now have two padlocks and 3 sets of spare keys

Re: Allotment locks

<ufv1br$39ife$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3393&group=uk.rec.gardening#3393

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 20:53:31 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 19:53 UTC

On 06/10/2023 12:58, John Ashby wrote:
> Does anyone have any recommendations for a robust make of lock for this
> environment? Many Thanks

We've got an ABUS on the gate of our club. It's lasted a few years -
though probably only unlocked a few times each week.

It was partly chosen to be easier to break than the gate. If someone is
determined to get in they will, and the lock is a lot cheaper to replace.

I can't find it on the web - the number on the bottom doesn't get any
hits - but it looks a lot like this one

<https://mobil.abus.com/int/Consumer/Padlocks/By-series/Combination-Locks/180IB-50HB63>

Andy

Re: Allotment locks

<ufv77f$3b1no$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3394&group=uk.rec.gardening#3394

From: Andrew97d@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 22:33:35 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 21:33 UTC

Badgers broke into our local allotments.

They just dug a tunnel under the fence.

Andrew

On 07/10/2023 09:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Locks only deter the vandal or casual person. Somebody really intent in
> getting in will come equipped, even though such short lives of locks sounds
> like they were crappy in the first place.
> Some of the Chubb padlocks are extremely sturdy, but its not of much use if
> undoing a few screws can bypass the lock.
> Brian

Re: Allotment locks

<ufv7e2$3b1no$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3395&group=uk.rec.gardening#3395

From: Andrew97d@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 22:37:06 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 21:37 UTC

On 07/10/2023 10:53, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 07/10/2023 09:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> Locks only deter the  vandal or casual person. Somebody really intent in
>> getting in will come equipped, even though such short lives of locks
>> sounds
>> like they were crappy in the first place.
>>   Some of the Chubb padlocks are extremely sturdy, but its not of much
>> use if
>> undoing a few screws can bypass the lock.
>
> Chub is quality. If a security device is made by Chubb, the lock
> component will be excellent and IME the rest well thought-out and sturdy.
>
> The problem will then be what it's attached to, and how.
>
> BTW, don't worry about 'jumping in', sometimes there are days in this
> group (uk.reg.gardening) with no post. It used to be very well populated.

Does Chubb still exist ?. I have a Chubb 5-lever mortice
lock on my front door and that style of lock is no longer
made because Union who own Chubb used to have an agreement
with a ?US company which has lapsed.

I don't think any of the other rival 5-lever locks are an
an exact fit into the hole for the Chubb lock.

Re: Allotment locks

<ufv7vp$3bbs2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3396&group=uk.rec.gardening#3396

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 22:46:31 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 21:46 UTC

On 08/10/2023 22:33, Andrew wrote:

Evidently the fencers didn't know to bury a couple of feet of mesh on
the outside of the fence

> Badgers broke into our local allotments.

> They just dug a tunnel under the fence.

> Andrew
>
> On 07/10/2023 09:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> Locks only deter the  vandal or casual person. Somebody really intent in
>> getting in will come equipped, even though such short lives of locks
>> sounds
>> like they were crappy in the first place.
>>   Some of the Chubb padlocks are extremely sturdy, but its not of much
>> use if
>> undoing a few screws can bypass the lock.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Allotment locks

<kogomjFtr91U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3397&group=uk.rec.gardening#3397

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 23:27:31 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 22:27 UTC

On 08/10/2023 20:53, Vir Campestris wrote:

> I can't find it on the web - the number on the bottom doesn't get any
> hits - but it looks a lot like this one
>
> <https://mobil.abus.com/int/Consumer/Padlocks/By-series/Combination-Locks/180IB-50HB63>

That also appears to be a marine grade lock with no parts that can rust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nYMD9fOqhg

Re: Allotment locks

<kogpbvFtr91U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3398&group=uk.rec.gardening#3398

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 23:38:55 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 22:38 UTC

On 08/10/2023 23:27, alan_m wrote:
> On 08/10/2023 20:53, Vir Campestris wrote:
>

>> I can't find it on the web - the number on the bottom doesn't get any
>> hits - but it looks a lot like this one
>>
>> <https://mobil.abus.com/int/Consumer/Padlocks/By-series/Combination-Locks/180IB-50HB63>
>>

> That also appears to be a marine grade lock with no parts that can rust
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nYMD9fOqhg

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uhq3nfyajU

Re: Allotment locks

<ug0oi7$3rtml$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3403&group=uk.rec.gardening#3403

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 12:35:35 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 11:35 UTC

On 08/10/2023 22:33, Andrew wrote:
> Badgers broke into our local allotments.
>
> They just dug a tunnel under the fence.

The great escape!

--
The higher up the mountainside
The greener grows the grass.

Traditional

Re: Allotment locks

<ug0ojn$3rtml$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3404&group=uk.rec.gardening#3404

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 12:36:23 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 11:36 UTC

On 08/10/2023 22:37, Andrew wrote:

> Does Chubb still exist ?. I have a Chubb 5-lever mortice
> lock on my front door and that style of lock is no longer
> made because Union who own Chubb used to have an agreement
> with a ?US company which has lapsed.
>
> I don't think any of the other rival 5-lever locks are an
> an exact fit into the hole for the Chubb lock.

I think there is an exact copy made by Union

--
The higher up the mountainside
The greener grows the grass.
The higher up the monkey climbs
The more he shows his arse.

Traditional

Re: Allotment locks

<ug0okr$3rtml$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3405&group=uk.rec.gardening#3405

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 12:36:59 +0100

On 08/10/2023 22:46, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 08/10/2023 22:33, Andrew wrote:
>
> Evidently the fencers didn't know to bury a couple of feet of mesh on
> the outside of the fence

Evidently you don't know how deep badgers can dig

>> Badgers broke into our local allotments.
>
>> They just dug a tunnel under the fence.
>
>> Andrew
>>
>> On 07/10/2023 09:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> Locks only deter the  vandal or casual person. Somebody really intent in
>>> getting in will come equipped, even though such short lives of locks
>>> sounds
>>> like they were crappy in the first place.
>>>   Some of the Chubb padlocks are extremely sturdy, but its not of
>>> much use if
>>> undoing a few screws can bypass the lock.

--
The higher up the mountainside
The greener grows the grass.
The higher up the monkey climbs
The more he shows his arse.

Traditional

Re: Allotment locks

<ug11sh$3uncv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3406&group=uk.rec.gardening#3406

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 15:14:40 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 14:14 UTC

> On 08/10/2023 22:46, RustyHinge wrote:
>> On 08/10/2023 22:33, Andrew wrote:
>>
>> Evidently the fencers didn't know to bury a couple of feet of mesh on
>> the outside of the fence
>>
> Evidently you don't know how deep badgers can dig

Evidently you don't know I have been a gamekeeper.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Allotment locks

<ug13dj$3v2kt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3407&group=uk.rec.gardening#3407

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 15:40:51 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 14:40 UTC

On 09/10/2023 15:14, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 09/10/2023 12:36, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 08/10/2023 22:46, RustyHinge wrote:
>>> On 08/10/2023 22:33, Andrew wrote:
>>>
>>> Evidently the fencers didn't know to bury a couple of feet of mesh on
>>> the outside of the fence
>>>
>> Evidently you don't know how deep badgers can dig
>
> Evidently you don't know I have been a gamekeeper.

Evidently you don't realise that that doesn't make you an expert in
badger sett depths

Or badgers *entrances* are lower down the bank than that

Re: Allotment locks

<ug16q8$3vuuh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3408&group=uk.rec.gardening#3408

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 16:38:46 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 15:38 UTC

> On 09/10/2023 15:14, RustyHinge wrote:

>>> Evidently you don't know how deep badgers can dig
>>
>> Evidently you don't know I have been a gamekeeper.
>>
> Evidently you don't realise that that doesn't make you an expert in
> badger sett depths
>
> Or badgers *entrances* are lower down the bank than that

Since I've been acquainted with badgers since the 1950s I think I have a
pretty good idea how to thwart them.

They don't have a lot of imagination. Gamekeepers have a bit more.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Allotment locks

<ug383q$12suo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3409&group=uk.rec.gardening#3409

From: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 10:13:14 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 10:13 UTC

In article <ufv7e2$3b1no$2@dont-email.me>,
Andrew <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Does Chubb still exist ?. I have a Chubb 5-lever mortice
>lock on my front door and that style of lock is no longer
>made because Union who own Chubb used to have an agreement
>with a ?US company which has lapsed.
>
>I don't think any of the other rival 5-lever locks are an
>an exact fit into the hole for the Chubb lock.

Yes. They may have been taken over by Union, but I replaced my
30 year old mortice deadlock just this year, and it just slotted in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Allotment locks

<ug38e4$12v6n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3410&group=uk.rec.gardening#3410

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 11:18:44 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 10:18 UTC

On 10/10/2023 11:13, Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article <ufv7e2$3b1no$2@dont-email.me>,
> Andrew <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> Does Chubb still exist ?. I have a Chubb 5-lever mortice
>> lock on my front door and that style of lock is no longer
>> made because Union who own Chubb used to have an agreement
>> with a ?US company which has lapsed.
>>
>> I don't think any of the other rival 5-lever locks are an
>> an exact fit into the hole for the Chubb lock.
>
> Yes. They may have been taken over by Union, but I replaced my
> 30 year old mortice deadlock just this year, and it just slotted in.
>

> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.

That was the case for me a few years back . I need another one too.

--
“People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman

Re: Allotment locks

<ug3u41$17qvr$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3411&group=uk.rec.gardening#3411

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 17:28:49 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 16:28 UTC

> Evidently you don't know how deep badgers can dig

I don't know about Badgers, but I do know about rabbits.

Although they can dig quite deep they are so thick that if you bury some
netting _horizontally_ out from the fence they can't cope. They go up to
the fence, dig down, then find the netting and give up.

If you dig a trench and put a couple of feet of wire _vertically_ they
keep digging down until they get to the bottom.

Badgers probably aren't as thick but the same trick may well work.

Andy

Re: Allotment locks

<ug3v7s$187ot$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3412&group=uk.rec.gardening#3412

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 17:47:56 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 16:47 UTC

On 10/10/2023 17:28, Vir Campestris wrote:
> On 09/10/2023 12:36, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> Evidently you don't know how deep badgers can dig
>
> I don't know about Badgers, but I do know about rabbits.
>
> Although they can dig quite deep they are so thick that if you bury some
> netting _horizontally_ out from the fence they can't cope. They go up to
> the fence, dig down, then find the netting and give up.
>
> If you dig a trench and put a couple of feet of wire _vertically_ they
> keep digging down until they get to the bottom.
>
> Badgers probably aren't as thick but the same trick may well work.
>
> Andy

Yes. We had a pet rabbit as children. It did exactly as you describe. It
was always escaping, and one day it didn't come back. It was fucking
boring anyway.

But it did net me my first tetanus injection when it gouged a chunk out
of my finger.

Olde Englishe Atacce Rabbitte

its shoes.