Liar, n.: A lawyer with a roving commission. -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killed

SubjectAuthor
* Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killedSimon Mason
+- Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclistJNugent
+* Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries afterSpike
|`* Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclistJNugent
| `- Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries afterSpike
+* Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killedSimon Mason
> [...]
 |   | |     |  +* Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killedSimon Mason
 |   | |     |  |`- Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclistJNugent
 |   | |     |  +- Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killedSimon Mason
 |   | |     |  `- Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killedSimon Mason
 |   | |     `* Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killedSimon Mason
 |   | |      +- Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries afterSpike
 |   | |      `- Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclistJNugent
 |   | `- Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries afterSpike
 |   `- Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclistJNugent
 `- Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries afterSpike

Pages:1234
Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killed

<krnhf5Frjk7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35905&group=uk.rec.cycling#35905

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after
cyclist killed
Date: 16 Nov 2023 21:55:49 GMT
<be94a4a6-73ab-473c-9851-5e173876d3e1n@googlegroups.com>
<d5172b83-d24c-438f-8610-d065d4bde3ddn@googlegroups.com>
<99d82100-9618-497c-a59a-051b54fbbd2fn@googlegroups.com>
<a4859ef3-4207-4c9d-9222-4123e03bd264n@googlegroups.com>
<12f0c138-f385-40a9-a1c2-a445f98d3f09n@googlegroups.com>
<c93a85e9-0f46-4095-b8a3-166e2b7414f7n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Spike - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 21:55 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Opposition to Wirral’s new 20mph zones is growing louder as a new
> petition calls for Wirral Council to reverse its plans.

> A study looking at the Portsmouth scheme did find perceptions were mixed
> with 54% saying there had been no change in people’s speed but 40% said
> they had dropped. However, decreases in casualties on roads in Portsmouth
> was 8% more than the national average.

Well, well… in the case of Portsmouth, 60% of the new 20mph zones did not
see a drop in traffic speeds but nonetheless there was an 8% greater
decrease than the national average in casualties.

How do you explain that?

--
Spike

Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killed

<50f186da-daf8-43ba-b7a5-12ec32666b03n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35909&group=uk.rec.cycling#35909

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 23:49:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killed
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 07:49 UTC

A road in the UK sees more than 8,000 drivers using it each day with over half of them breaking the speed limit.

A staggering 4,320 drivers each day on the A164 Willerby bypass near Hull failed to stick to the 40mph speed limit.

And the nearby Cowick Road in Snaith, in the East Riding of Yorkshire had 79.3 per cent of drivers failing to adhere to the 30mph limit and 3,157 drivers speeding each day.

The average speed by motorists is 40.5mph which is 10mph above the legal limit.

It comes as rules around breaking the speed limit were changed in a so-called ‘stealth’ move that has seen thousands of drivers face fines.

The Met Police slashed its speed tolerance by 1mph, triggering a reported 259 per cent increase in the number of drivers who will be punished for breaking the speed limit.

Driving at any speed over the limit is illegal but police guidelines previously stipulated that drivers should be given some leeway.

Guidelines used the formula that motorists wouldn’t face action unless they broke the speed limit by ten per cent plus 3mph.

But the Met quietly dropped to 10 per cent plus 2mph.

Under the ten per cent plus 3mph rule you could drive 25mph in a 20mph zone before facing punishment.

Under the Met Police's change, a motorist in a 20mph limit can now expect to get away with driving at 24mph before they receive a fixed penalty or are sent on a speed awareness course.

Around 347,000 drivers have been warned they will be prosecuted for speeding in the first six months of 2022.

A Met Police spokesman said: “Posted speed limits are the maximum speed that road users should travel at any time ... irrespective of the speed threshold that police commence enforcement action.”

However the change only applies to the Met Police and other forces such as Lancashire Police, still use the ‘plus 3mph’ formula.

However, despite this enforcement across the country could become stricter with the National Police Chiefs Council saying they intended to review its guidance.

Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killed

<krou6nF78ghU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35919&group=uk.rec.cycling#35919

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist
killed
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:39:19 +0000
<be94a4a6-73ab-473c-9851-5e173876d3e1n@googlegroups.com>
<d5172b83-d24c-438f-8610-d065d4bde3ddn@googlegroups.com>
<99d82100-9618-497c-a59a-051b54fbbd2fn@googlegroups.com>
<a4859ef3-4207-4c9d-9222-4123e03bd264n@googlegroups.com>
<12f0c138-f385-40a9-a1c2-a445f98d3f09n@googlegroups.com>
<c93a85e9-0f46-4095-b8a3-166e2b7414f7n@googlegroups.com>
<50f186da-daf8-43ba-b7a5-12ec32666b03n@googlegroups.com>
 by: JNugent - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:39 UTC

On 17/11/2023 07:49 am, Simon Mason wrote:
> A road in the UK sees more than 8,000 drivers using it each day with over half of them breaking the speed limit.
>
> A staggering 4,320 drivers each day on the A164 Willerby bypass near Hull failed to stick to the 40mph speed limit.
>
> And the nearby Cowick Road in Snaith, in the East Riding of Yorkshire had 79.3 per cent of drivers failing to adhere to the 30mph limit and 3,157 drivers speeding each day.
>
> The average speed by motorists is 40.5mph which is 10mph above the legal limit.
>
> It comes as rules around breaking the speed limit were changed in a so-called ‘stealth’ move that has seen thousands of drivers face fines.
>
> The Met Police slashed its speed tolerance by 1mph, triggering a reported 259 per cent increase in the number of drivers who will be punished for breaking the speed limit.
>
> Driving at any speed over the limit is illegal but police guidelines previously stipulated that drivers should be given some leeway.
>
> Guidelines used the formula that motorists wouldn’t face action unless they broke the speed limit by ten per cent plus 3mph.
>
> But the Met quietly dropped to 10 per cent plus 2mph.

It has been that = 110% + 2 - for some years. ACPO guidance.

> Under the ten per cent plus 3mph rule you could drive 25mph in a 20mph zone before facing punishment.
>
> Under the Met Police's change, a motorist in a 20mph limit can now expect to get away with driving at 24mph before they receive a fixed penalty or are sent on a speed awareness course.
>
> Around 347,000 drivers have been warned they will be prosecuted for speeding in the first six months of 2022.
>
> A Met Police spokesman said: “Posted speed limits are the maximum speed that road users should travel at any time ... irrespective of the speed threshold that police commence enforcement action.”
>
> However the change only applies to the Met Police and other forces such as Lancashire Police, still use the ‘plus 3mph’ formula.
>
> However, despite this enforcement across the country could become stricter with the National Police Chiefs Council saying they intended to review its guidance.

Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killed

<krov4bF7i5hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35921&group=uk.rec.cycling#35921

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
cyclist killed
Date: 17 Nov 2023 10:55:07 GMT
<99d82100-9618-497c-a59a-051b54fbbd2fn@googlegroups.com>
<a4859ef3-4207-4c9d-9222-4123e03bd264n@googlegroups.com>
<12f0c138-f385-40a9-a1c2-a445f98d3f09n@googlegroups.com>
<c93a85e9-0f46-4095-b8a3-166e2b7414f7n@googlegroups.com>
<50f186da-daf8-43ba-b7a5-12ec32666b03n@googlegroups.com>
<krou6nF78ghU4@mid.individual.net>
 by: Spike - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:55 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 17/11/2023 07:49 am, Simon Mason wrote:
>> A road in the UK sees more than 8,000 drivers using it each day with
>> over half of them breaking the speed limit.
>>
>> A staggering 4,320 drivers each day on the A164 Willerby bypass near
>> Hull failed to stick to the 40mph speed limit.
>>
>> And the nearby Cowick Road in Snaith, in the East Riding of Yorkshire
>> had 79.3 per cent of drivers failing to adhere to the 30mph limit and
>> 3,157 drivers speeding each day.
>>
>> The average speed by motorists is 40.5mph which is 10mph above the legal limit.
>>
>> It comes as rules around breaking the speed limit were changed in a
>> so-called ‘stealth’ move that has seen thousands of drivers face fines.
>>
>> The Met Police slashed its speed tolerance by 1mph, triggering a
>> reported 259 per cent increase in the number of drivers who will be
>> punished for breaking the speed limit.
>>
>> Driving at any speed over the limit is illegal but police guidelines
>> previously stipulated that drivers should be given some leeway.

>> Guidelines used the formula that motorists wouldn’t face action unless
>> they broke the speed limit by ten per cent plus 3mph.

>> But the Met quietly dropped to 10 per cent plus 2mph.

> It has been that = 110% + 2 - for some years. ACPO guidance.

Yes, it’s been set at that for quite some time - this seems like another
one of Mason’s non-cycling non-stories.

--
Spike

Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killed

<90771579-9963-4a81-a2a5-43e0d434c671n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35927&group=uk.rec.cycling#35927

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 03:44:41 -0800 (PST)
<39863ea9-e81d-4873-bc20-bce2ea6adfabn@googlegroups.com> <99112280-0b2b-480d-a02f-f648874b7d47n@googlegroups.com>
<43d5e60b-3673-41bf-ad95-d8bad21c9642n@googlegroups.com> <72ce42cd-493d-4bfc-b3ad-71130f289549n@googlegroups.com>
<39dc1cda-bb46-44c1-8bea-f70db8266ab9n@googlegroups.com> <4c7d8567-3c4b-429b-8690-794daf413153n@googlegroups.com>
<9f102d90-4fab-4205-a45f-16b390490c99n@googlegroups.com> <0d4e7638-94a9-491d-9a0f-ff1e6026b159n@googlegroups.com>
<8cbfe3b3-f192-4670-9c7a-60dbf1ec533dn@googlegroups.com> <0c7be3d6-0010-43a6-a6a8-2a066763869cn@googlegroups.com>
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:44 UTC

Police in Burnley have issued parking and speeding tickets as part of an enforcement crackdown.

Officers in the Queensgate area of the town were joined by ticket enforcement officers on patrol last week, resulting in three parking tickets being issued.

They also carried out speed gun checks along Colne Road and Briercliffe Road and handed out eight speeding tickets to driver exceeding the limit.

Neighbourhood inspector for Burnley Rob Grey said: “We are continuing to work closely with out partners to carry out activity and community concerns raised to us.

“We are committed to engaging with our communities and would encourage people to keep reporting issues to us by taking our Lancashire Talking survey.

"They can also sign up to In The Know to receive updates about their area.”

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/23920326.burnley-speeding-parking-tickets-issued-crackdown/

Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killed

<krpendFb432U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35938&group=uk.rec.cycling#35938

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
killed
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 15:21:18 +0000
<d5172b83-d24c-438f-8610-d065d4bde3ddn@googlegroups.com>
<99d82100-9618-497c-a59a-051b54fbbd2fn@googlegroups.com>
<a4859ef3-4207-4c9d-9222-4123e03bd264n@googlegroups.com>
<12f0c138-f385-40a9-a1c2-a445f98d3f09n@googlegroups.com>
<c93a85e9-0f46-4095-b8a3-166e2b7414f7n@googlegroups.com>
<50f186da-daf8-43ba-b7a5-12ec32666b03n@googlegroups.com>
<90771579-9963-4a81-a2a5-43e0d434c671n@googlegroups.com>
 by: JNugent - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 15:21 UTC

On 17/11/2023 11:44 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> Police in Burnley have issued parking and speeding tickets as part of an enforcement crackdown.
>
> Officers in the Queensgate area of the town were joined by ticket enforcement officers on patrol last week, resulting in three parking tickets being issued.

Parking on yellow lines is fair game. Ditto for parking in an
obstructive position (eg, across driveways).

> They also carried out speed gun checks along Colne Road and Briercliffe Road and handed out eight speeding tickets to driver exceeding the limit.
> Neighbourhood inspector for Burnley Rob Grey said: “We are continuing to work closely with out partners to carry out activity and community concerns raised to us.
> “We are committed to engaging with our communities and would encourage people to keep reporting issues to us by taking our Lancashire Talking survey.
> "They can also sign up to In The Know to receive updates about their area.”

> https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/23920326.burnley-speeding-parking-tickets-issued-crackdown/

Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killed

<9698bee1-487c-46a3-a337-b22545dc63d7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35941&group=uk.rec.cycling#35941

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 08:31:13 -0800 (PST)
<50f186da-daf8-43ba-b7a5-12ec32666b03n@googlegroups.com> <90771579-9963-4a81-a2a5-43e0d434c671n@googlegroups.com>
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 16:31 UTC

THE police have made one arrest and issued more than a dozen tickets or warnings after carrying out a roads policing operation at communities in the Wharfe Valley.

In addition to a drugs arrest and a car seizure, the Roads Policing Unit worked with the Leeds North West Neighbourhood Policing Team to also issue six speeding tickets.

A spokesperson for the Leeds North West NPT said: "On Monday, colleagues from the Roads Policing Unit worked alongside NPT Officers to patrol Horsforth, Adel, Holt Park, Tinshill, Weetwood, Bramhope and Rawdon."

Results included: Six speeding tickets issued, two warnings for speed, two tickets for having an expired MOT, one vehicle seized for driving without insurance, one ticket for no insurance, one ticket for driving without a seatbelt, one ticket for having excessively tinted windows and one person arrested for driving whilst over the prescribed limit for drugs.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23930551.dozen-tickets-handed-road-policing-operation/

Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killed

<krpj20Fc4d6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35944&group=uk.rec.cycling#35944

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
killed
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 16:35:12 +0000
<99d82100-9618-497c-a59a-051b54fbbd2fn@googlegroups.com>
<a4859ef3-4207-4c9d-9222-4123e03bd264n@googlegroups.com>
<12f0c138-f385-40a9-a1c2-a445f98d3f09n@googlegroups.com>
<c93a85e9-0f46-4095-b8a3-166e2b7414f7n@googlegroups.com>
<50f186da-daf8-43ba-b7a5-12ec32666b03n@googlegroups.com>
<90771579-9963-4a81-a2a5-43e0d434c671n@googlegroups.com>
<9698bee1-487c-46a3-a337-b22545dc63d7n@googlegroups.com>
 by: JNugent - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 16:35 UTC

On 17/11/2023 04:31 pm, Simon Del Boy Mason wrote:

> THE police have made one arrest and issued more than a dozen tickets or warnings after carrying out a roads policing operation at communities in the Wharfe Valley.
>
> In addition to a drugs arrest and a car seizure, the Roads Policing Unit worked with the Leeds North West Neighbourhood Policing Team to also issue six speeding tickets.
>
> A spokesperson for the Leeds North West NPT said: "On Monday, colleagues from the Roads Policing Unit worked alongside NPT Officers to patrol Horsforth, Adel, Holt Park, Tinshill, Weetwood, Bramhope and Rawdon."
>
> Results included: Six speeding tickets issued, two warnings for speed, two tickets for having an expired MOT, one vehicle seized for driving without insurance, one ticket for no insurance, one ticket for driving without a seatbelt, one ticket for having excessively tinted windows and one person arrested for driving whilst over the prescribed limit for drugs.
>
> https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23930551.dozen-tickets-handed-road-policing-operation/

What happened to the chav-cyclists?

Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killed

<e229eabd-5835-4cc3-8092-a24f7e2165bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35946&group=uk.rec.cycling#35946

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 08:39:45 -0800 (PST)
References: <6896dffd-e732-4ec0-87f2-f7a318c4298an@googlegroups.com> <39863ea9-e81d-4873-bc20-bce2ea6adfabn@googlegroups.com> <99112280-0b2b-480d-a02f-f648874b7d47n@googlegroups.com> <43d5e60b-3673-41bf-ad95-d8bad21c9642n@googlegroups.com> <72ce42cd-493d-4bfc-b3ad-71130f289549n@googlegroups.com> <39dc1cda-bb46-44c1-8bea-f70db8266ab9n@googlegroups.com> <4c7d8567-3c4b-429b-8690-794daf413153n@googlegroups.com> <9f102d90-4fab-4205-a45f-16b390490c99n@googlegroups.com> <0d4e7638-94a9-491d-9a0f-ff1e6026b159n@googlegroups.com> <8cbfe3b3-f192-4670-9c7a-60dbf1ec533dn@googlegroups.com> <0c7be3d6-0010-43a6-a6a8-2a066763869cn@googlegroups.com> <be94a4a6-73ab-473c-9851-5e173876d3e1n@googlegroups.com> <d5172b83-d24c-438f-8610-d065d4bde3ddn@googlegroups.com> <99d82100-9618-497c-a59a-051b54fbbd2fn@googlegroups.com> <a4859ef3-4207-4c9d-9222-4123e03bd264n@googlegroups.com> <12f0c138-f385-40a9-a1c2-a445f98d3f09n@googlegroups.com> <c93a85e9-0f46-4095-b8a3-166e2b7414f7n@googlegroups.com> <50f186da-daf8-43ba-b7a5-12ec32666b03n@googlegroups.com> <90771579-9963-4a81-a2a5-43e0d434c671n@googlegroups.com> <9698bee1-487c-46a3-a337-b22545dc63d7n@googlegroups.com>
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 16:39 UTC

Monday, November 13, 2023

As part of the multi-agency initiative ongoing in the Queensgate area of Burnley, Burnley Police and Burnley Council have continued their commitment to tackling issues raised to them by residents.

This week officers have been joined by Ticket Enforcement officers on patrol, resulting in several parking tickets being issued to cars parked inappropriately. Officers also carried out speed gun checks along Colne Road and Briercliffe Road.

In total, three parking tickets were issued and eight speeding tickets were issued to drivers exceeding the speed limit.

Neighbourhood Inspector for Burnley, Rob Grey, said: “We are continuing to work closely with our partners to carry out activity around community concerns raised to us.

“We are committed to engaging with our communities and would encourage people to keep reporting issues to us by taking our Lancashire Talking survey. They can also sign up to In The Know to receive updates about your area.”

Re: Coroner orders council to act over parked lorries after cyclist killed

<af1cbad5-37dc-4472-9791-fa1548e933ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35947&group=uk.rec.cycling#35947

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 08:42:01 -0800 (PST)
<9698bee1-487c-46a3-a337-b22545dc63d7n@googlegroups.com> <e229eabd-5835-4cc3-8092-a24f7e2165bcn@googlegroups.com>
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 16:42 UTC

Swansea criminals were involved in a nation-wide scam to make speeding tickets "go away" by naming innocent drivers as the guilty motorists. The fraudsters were selling details of genuine people to drivers who had been caught speeding and who wanted to avoid a fine and points on their licence - those innocent people end up getting prosecuted at courts across in England and Wales without their knowledge.

The criminal operation - known as a "Nip farms" or "Notice of Intended Prosecution farms" - was detailed at Swansea Crown Court after a barber was caught using the trick to try to avoid being done for speeding. The driver has been jailed for attempting to pervert the course of justice while the innocent man he named ended up losing his driving licence and his job, and being chased by bailiffs and debt collectors.

Dean Pulling, prosecuting, said on April 21, 2021, a Toyota Yaris was caught by a speed camera on Glanmor Road in the Sketty area of Swansea doing 35mph in the 30mph zone. The registered keeper of the car was Diyar Ali and a notice of intended prosecution or Nip was sent to his home address in Tenby asking for details of who had been driving. The court heard Ali provided a false name and details, and gave the man's address as being on St Alban's Road in the Brynmill area of Swansea. The person he named was a genuine driver though he actually lived in Eastbourne is Sussex. The prosecutor said a letter was sent to the St Alban's Road address where a person "purporting to be the named individual" signed it, and then returned it. A fixed penalty notice was sent to St Alban's Road but when it went unanswered the matter was prosecuted in the absence of the named driver and he was fined £220 and had three points put on his licence.

The court heard heard that on February 27, 2022, another Toyota Yaris was caught on camera speeding on the A40 just west of Carmarthen doing 64mph in the 50mph zone. A Nip was sent to the registered keeper of this vehicle - Ali gain - and he supplied the same false name as on the previous occasion, but this time giving the address as a house on St Helen's Avenue in Swansea.. Again a person at the Swansea house signed the resulting notice and failed to respond to the fixed penalty leading to a prosecution and conviction in absence, and to another £220 fine and three points on the innocent Sussex driver's licence.

The prosecutor said in October 2022 the Safety Camera Partnership and Dyfed-Powys Police became concerned about the Swansea addresses being provided in Nips documents, and launched an investigation. Enquiries showed that the properties were houses of multiple occupation being used to house asylum seekers, and the driver named by Ali had never lived in either. Mr Pulling said as the investigation continued it emerged the houses were so-called "Nip farms" operated by people who, for a fee, would provide details of real drivers to motorists who wanted to avoid being prosecuted. He said the Nip farms were being advertised on social media platforms such as TikTok. It is thought Ali paid around £300 for the services of the Swansea Nip farm. Read about the ridiculous lengths some drivers go to avoid speeding tickets

The court heard the driver named by Ali was tracked down to Eastbourne and it emerged he was a multiple victim who had been convicted in absence at courts around England and Wales. As a result of the work of the Nip farm the delivery driver had lost his driving licence and job, been left in debt, was being chased by debt collectors, and had his car seized by bailiffs. In a statement to the court he said the whole experience of being wrongfully convicted and everything that followed had had a significant impact on his mental health.

Mr Pulling said Ali was spoken to by police but continued the lie, saying he had sold the cars caught on camera to the Eastbourne driver and maintaining his insistence that he had not been driving on either occasion. His denials led police to examine mobile phone data, automatic number plate recognition cameras, and work records which all showed the innocent Sussex driver had been nowhere near Wales on the days in question - indeed, at the time Ali claimed the man had been driving on the outskirts of Carmarthen he had, in fact, been making a delivery in Brighton. The court heard phone data showed Ali's mobile had co-located with the Yaris cars and the speed cameras on the relevant days, while DVLA records showed he had been the registered keeper of the vehicles not only on the dates in question but for many months afterwards.

Diyar Ali, aged 30, of St Mary’s Street, Tenby, Pembrokeshire, had previously pleaded guilty to two counts of attempting to pervert the course of justice when he appeared in the dock for sentencing. He has no previous convictions in the UK. The court heard checks had been made on the Iraqi-national's immigration status which showed his application for asylum had been refused but he had been granted temporary humanitarian permission to remain, permission he will have to reapply for this December.

Jon Tarrant, for Ali, said at the time of the offending the defendant had not realised the serious nature and impact of his offending, and had entered into the arrangement "with an element of naivety". He said since arriving in the UK his client had been "essentially looked after" by friends who helped him with issues such as dealing with mail and official matters, and had who had also found him work in a barbers.

Recorder Mark Powell KC told Ali that attempting to pervert the course of justice was a serious offence, and he said it was clear that using the services of somebody offering to "make the speeding offence go away" had led to serious consequences for a wholly innocent driver. The judge said in coming to the appropriate sentence he was mindful of the defendant's mental health difficulties but he noted a report had concluded those issues were linked to his use of cannabis and was "likely to be drug-induced psychosis". With a one-third discount for his guilty pleas Ali was sentenced to eight months in prison - the defendant will serve up to half that period in custody before being released on licence to serve the remainder in the community. Ali was disqualified from driving for 12 months, and the ban was extended by an additional four months to account for the time he will be behind bars.