I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it. -- Mae West

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Basic question on connectivity

SubjectAuthor
* Basic question on connectivityDavey
+* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
|`* Re: Basic question on connectivityMax Demian
| +* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| |+* Re: Basic question on connectivityMark Carver
| ||+* Re: Basic question on connectivityAngus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
| ||`* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| || `* Re: Basic question on connectivityMark Carver
| ||  `* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| ||   `* Re: Basic question on connectivityMark Carver
| ||    `* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| ||     `* Re: Basic question on connectivityMark Carver
| ||      `* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| ||       `* Re: Basic question on connectivityMark Carver
| ||        +- Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| ||        `* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| ||         `* Re: Basic question on connectivityRoderick Stewart
| ||          `- Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| |+* Re: Basic question on connectivityJNugent
| ||`- Re: Basic question on connectivityWoody
| |`- Re: Basic question on connectivityRoderick Stewart
| `- Re: Basic question on connectivityBrian Gaff
+- Re: Basic question on connectivityJNugent
`* Re: Basic question on connectivityBrian Gaff
 `- Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey

Pages:12
Basic question on connectivity

<u553ud$2151p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40901&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40901

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Basic question on connectivity
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 16:15:25 +0100
 by: Davey - Tue, 30 May 2023 15:15 UTC

Not knowing anything about Sky Hubs, do they put out a normal Wi-Fi
signal that a Humax Freeview would understand and connect to? As long as
one has the Password, of course. It feeds a PC, so I am hopeful.
And would this also connect and serve an Amazon Firestick on the back
of the TV set?

Trying to get some friends better connected. They also have a Sky dish
and receiver, but it is used to access Freeview channels. A standard
antenna can receive virtually nothing, the house is in a dip, butn the
dish gives them decent reception. The system is not how I would design
it, it is more of an evolution rather than a design.

They used to have a BT hub, ut changed that for the Sky. The Humax
still thinks that there is a couple of BT networks out there, one
password protected, one not. But connecting to the 'not' one fails to
connect to the Humax setup mothership.

--
Davey.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u55t05$24caa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40907&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40907

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Basic question on connectivity
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 23:23:00 +0100
 by: Davey - Tue, 30 May 2023 22:23 UTC

On Tue, 30 May 2023 16:15:25 +0100
Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

> Not knowing anything about Sky Hubs, do they put out a normal Wi-Fi
> signal that a Humax Freeview would understand and connect to? As long
> as one has the Password, of course. It feeds a PC, so I am hopeful.
> And would this also connect and serve an Amazon Firestick on the back
> of the TV set?
>
> Trying to get some friends better connected. They also have a Sky dish
> and receiver, but it is used to access Freeview channels. A standard
> antenna can receive virtually nothing, the house is in a dip, butn the
> dish gives them decent reception. The system is not how I would design
> it, it is more of an evolution rather than a design.
>
> They used to have a BT hub, ut changed that for the Sky. The Humax
> still thinks that there is a couple of BT networks out there, one
> password protected, one not. But connecting to the 'not' one fails to
> connect to the Humax setup mothership.

Nobody?

--
Davey.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u5795s$2cjm3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40913&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40913

From: max_demian@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 11:57:01 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Wed, 31 May 2023 10:57 UTC

On 30/05/2023 23:23, Davey wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2023 16:15:25 +0100
> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Not knowing anything about Sky Hubs, do they put out a normal Wi-Fi
>> signal that a Humax Freeview would understand and connect to? As long
>> as one has the Password, of course. It feeds a PC, so I am hopeful.
>> And would this also connect and serve an Amazon Firestick on the back
>> of the TV set?
>>
>> Trying to get some friends better connected. They also have a Sky dish
>> and receiver, but it is used to access Freeview channels. A standard
>> antenna can receive virtually nothing, the house is in a dip, butn the
>> dish gives them decent reception. The system is not how I would design
>> it, it is more of an evolution rather than a design.
>>
>> They used to have a BT hub, ut changed that for the Sky. The Humax
>> still thinks that there is a couple of BT networks out there, one
>> password protected, one not. But connecting to the 'not' one fails to
>> connect to the Humax setup mothership.
>>

> Nobody?

I don't know anything about Sky Hubs, and I'm not entirely sure what you
are trying to do. Wi-Fi on TV receivers are usually about accessing the
Internet in order to stream stuff. I'm not sure you can can connect them
together in arbitrary ways.

You say, "[Your friends] also have a Sky dish and receiver, but it is
used to access Freeview channels." I assume you mean Sky channels, as
Freeview is strictly terrestrial.

The "BT networks" you mention, must belong to neighbours.

The obvious thing to do would be to connect the Sky receiver to the TV
with HDMI. Perhaps they want to record from Sky, which would require a
Sky recorder of some kind.

--
Max Demian

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u57arh$2cire$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40916&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40916

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 12:25:36 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 31 May 2023 11:25 UTC

On Wed, 31 May 2023 11:57:01 +0100
Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> I don't know anything about Sky Hubs, and I'm not entirely sure what
> you are trying to do. Wi-Fi on TV receivers are usually about
> accessing the Internet in order to stream stuff. I'm not sure you can
> can connect them together in arbitrary ways.

That is what they want to do. Their internet connection is via the Sky
Hub, it talks via WiFi to their PC. The Humax can see it, but cannot as
yet connect to Humax HQ, so has limited functionality. They are going
to look out for a password in their paperwork.

> You say, "[Your friends] also have a Sky dish and receiver, but it is
> used to access Freeview channels." I assume you mean Sky channels, as
> Freeview is strictly terrestrial.

It receives Free channels, but yes, it must be basic Sky channels with
no frills. Freesat would have done the same job.

> The "BT networks" you mention, must belong to neighbours.

I agree, it's the only sensible answer. All on the far side of the road!

> The obvious thing to do would be to connect the Sky receiver to the
> TV with HDMI.

I believe that is already an HDMI connection, although I can't swear to
it. What would that do that a non-HDMI connection would do in this
case? Does the Sky Box have anything other than HDMI?

Their wish is to get streaming working. the Humax used to do it before
Sky replaced a failing (trees blocking antenna path) installation,
they want to restore that. At the moment, there is no BBC iPlayer, ITVX,
etc. I was thinking that a Firestick on the back of the TV set or the
Humax would get its WiFi from the Sky Hub, and provide what they need,
and not require any cables.

> Perhaps they want to record from Sky, which would
> require a Sky recorder of some kind.

If they want to record from Sky, then they would need to subscribe to
Sky channels first, which is not in the plan. The Sky receiver is just
a basic channels conduit.

Hope this makes some kind of sense!

--
Davey.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<kdopr8Fl3emU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40917&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40917

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 12:37:12 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 31 May 2023 11:37 UTC

On 31/05/2023 12:25, Davey wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2023 11:57:01 +0100
> Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't know anything about Sky Hubs, and I'm not entirely sure what
>> you are trying to do. Wi-Fi on TV receivers are usually about
>> accessing the Internet in order to stream stuff. I'm not sure you can
>> can connect them together in arbitrary ways.
> That is what they want to do. Their internet connection is via the Sky
> Hub, it talks via WiFi to their PC. The Humax can see it, but cannot as
> yet connect to Humax HQ, so has limited functionality. They are going
> to look out for a password in their paperwork.

You're talking about a Sky VDSL router ?  Nothing special, the WiFi
details may well be printed on the back on a sticker. If not the admin
u/n and password will be, and you can simply log in and see the Wifi
password in the WLAN set up page

Start here
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/set-up-hub-which-sky-hub-do-you-have

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<memo.20230531142051.30512A@magsys.adsl.magsys.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40919&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40919

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: angus@magsys.co.uk (Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 14:20 +0100 (BST)
 by: Angus Robertson - Ma - Wed, 31 May 2023 13:20 UTC

> You're talking about a Sky VDSL router ?� Nothing special

The Sky Q Hub is special when used with other Sky Q boxes, they use private 5G
channels to communicate, allowing Sky Q silver and mini boxes to become wifi
repeaters around the house without using normal wifi bandwidth. Not sure if
the Sky Broadband Hub 2019 (a different product) does the same.

But I still prefer wired ethernet for most of my devices, so much more reliable
than wifi.

Angus

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<kdp0j6FmdudU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40920&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40920

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 14:32:22 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 31 May 2023 13:32 UTC

On 31/05/2023 14:20, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
>> You're talking about a Sky VDSL router ?  Nothing special
> The Sky Q Hub is special when used with other Sky Q boxes, they use private 5G
> channels to communicate, allowing Sky Q silver and mini boxes to become wifi
> repeaters around the house without using normal wifi bandwidth. Not sure if
> the Sky Broadband Hub 2019 (a different product) does the same.
>
> But I still prefer wired ethernet for most of my devices, so much more reliable
> than wifi.

If you connect the Sky Q mini boxes to the Hub (aka the Router) via
ethernet cables,  and the main Sky Q box to the Hub by cable too, then
all the Sky devices form a mesh WiFi network.
That's exactly how I set them up in our son's house.

You need to enter the installer's menu on the main Q box, to enable the
feature

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u57jcd$2dnqq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40922&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40922

From: david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 14:51:09 +0100
 by: David Woolley - Wed, 31 May 2023 13:51 UTC

On 31/05/2023 14:20, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
> they use private 5G
> channels

Do you mean 5G mobile, which seems unlikely, or do you really mean 5GHz
band WiFi, which many routers support?

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<kdp24bFmdudU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40923&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40923

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 14:58:34 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 31 May 2023 13:58 UTC

On 31/05/2023 14:51, David Woolley wrote:
> On 31/05/2023 14:20, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
>> they use private 5G
>> channels
>
> Do you mean 5G mobile, which seems unlikely, or do you really mean
> 5GHz band WiFi, which many routers support?

 He meant 5 GHz wifi of course.

They use a proprietary WiFi network to stream video from the main box to
the mini box(es) for those unwashed people that don't have a house full
of ethernet tie lines

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u57r2n$2el7u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40925&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40925

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 17:02:30 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 31 May 2023 16:02 UTC

On Wed, 31 May 2023 12:37:12 +0100
Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> You're talking about a Sky VDSL router ?  Nothing special, the WiFi
> details may well be printed on the back on a sticker. If not the
> admin u/n and password will be, and you can simply log in and see the
> Wifi password in the WLAN set up page
>
> Start here
> https://www.sky.com/help/articles/set-up-hub-which-sky-hub-do-you-have

I don't think it's a VDSL unit, unless that also does ADSL. It looks
from memory like a Sky Broadband Hub. That page wants all sorts of
activation data before it will let me do much of anything. I will ask
my friends to look at the back of the Hub for a sticker with the log-in
details.
The Sky box at the TV set is a different animal entirely, of course,
but that's not where they are trying to get the internet connection
from.
Does anyone have any thoughts about the Firestick idea?

Thanks for thoughts and help.
--
Davey.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<kdp9duFoagsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40926&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40926

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 17:03:10 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 31 May 2023 16:03 UTC

On 30/05/2023 04:15 pm, Davey wrote:

> Not knowing anything about Sky Hubs, do they put out a normal Wi-Fi
> signal that a Humax Freeview would understand and connect to?

Not as far as I am aware.

The new-ish Sky Q box can transmit and receive from mini-Q boxes via
wi-fi. But not from other devices.

> As long as
> one has the Password, of course. It feeds a PC, so I am hopeful.

> And would this also connect and serve an Amazon Firestick on the back
> of the TV set?

Not sure what the question is there.

> Trying to get some friends better connected. They also have a Sky dish
> and receiver, but it is used to access Freeview channels.

You mean channels that are in any case available on Freeview?

You cannot receive Freeview itself over a Sky dish. It (obviously)
requires an aerial.

> A standard
> antenna can receive virtually nothing, the house is in a dip, butn the
> dish gives them decent reception. The system is not how I would design
> it, it is more of an evolution rather than a design.

That makes it clearer. They're using a Sky dish and box as a free
satellite (non-subscription) receiver.

> They used to have a BT hub, ut changed that for the Sky. The Humax
> still thinks that there is a couple of BT networks out there, one
> password protected, one not. But connecting to the 'not' one fails to
> connect to the Humax setup mothership.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<kdp9ltFobamU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40927&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40927

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 17:07:25 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 31 May 2023 16:07 UTC

On 31/05/2023 12:25 pm, Davey wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2023 11:57:01 +0100
> Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't know anything about Sky Hubs, and I'm not entirely sure what
>> you are trying to do. Wi-Fi on TV receivers are usually about
>> accessing the Internet in order to stream stuff. I'm not sure you can
>> can connect them together in arbitrary ways.
>
> That is what they want to do. Their internet connection is via the Sky
> Hub, it talks via WiFi to their PC. The Humax can see it, but cannot as
> yet connect to Humax HQ, so has limited functionality. They are going
> to look out for a password in their paperwork.
>>
>> You say, "[Your friends] also have a Sky dish and receiver, but it is
>> used to access Freeview channels." I assume you mean Sky channels, as
>> Freeview is strictly terrestrial.
>
> It receives Free channels, but yes, it must be basic Sky channels with
> no frills. Freesat would have done the same job.
>>
>> The "BT networks" you mention, must belong to neighbours.
>
> I agree, it's the only sensible answer. All on the far side of the road!
>>
>> The obvious thing to do would be to connect the Sky receiver to the
>> TV with HDMI.
>
> I believe that is already an HDMI connection, although I can't swear to
> it. What would that do that a non-HDMI connection would do in this
> case? Does the Sky Box have anything other than HDMI?
>
> Their wish is to get streaming working. the Humax used to do it before
> Sky replaced a failing (trees blocking antenna path) installation,
> they want to restore that. At the moment, there is no BBC iPlayer, ITVX,
> etc. I was thinking that a Firestick on the back of the TV set or the
> Humax would get its WiFi from the Sky Hub, and provide what they need,
> and not require any cables.
>
>> Perhaps they want to record from Sky, which would
>> require a Sky recorder of some kind.
>
> If they want to record from Sky, then they would need to subscribe to
> Sky channels first, which is not in the plan. The Sky receiver is just
> a basic channels conduit.
>
> Hope this makes some kind of sense!

ISTR that a Sky+ box (HD or otherwise) without a valid viewing card will
record "free" channels (BBC, ITV, etc) but obviously, will neither
receive nor record subscription channels.

It happened to us once. Due to some admin mix-up at Sky, we were getting
subscription channels (Sky 1, Atlantic, Gold, etc) but were unable to
record them. A telephone call to Sky sorted it out.

But we *were* able to record BBC and all non-sub channels in the interim.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<38te7i1nh0n7pkdumdt8s5t3nut31dhjkb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40929&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40929

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 17:29:44 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Wed, 31 May 2023 16:29 UTC

On Wed, 31 May 2023 12:25:36 +0100, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
wrote:

>Their wish is to get streaming working. the Humax used to do it before
>Sky replaced a failing (trees blocking antenna path) installation,
>they want to restore that. At the moment, there is no BBC iPlayer, ITVX,
>etc. I was thinking that a Firestick on the back of the TV set or the
>Humax would get its WiFi from the Sky Hub, and provide what they need,
>and not require any cables.

That would be my suggestion if you want streaming - buy a device
that's designed for it. The Amazon Fire TV 4K Max is excellent and
currently at a reduced price which they'll probably put back to normal
after this bank holiday week, so now would be a good time to get one.

Rod.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<memo.20230531182733.41624A@magsys.adsl.magsys.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40931&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40931

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: angus@magsys.co.uk (Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 18:27 +0100 (BST)
 by: Angus Robertson - Ma - Wed, 31 May 2023 17:27 UTC

> They use a proprietary WiFi network to stream video from the main
> box to the mini box(es)

I was writing some network diagnostic tools recently and was watching packets
on my home LAN, and the Sky Q Silver box continually sends out private protocol
broadcasts (ie not TCP, UDP, ARP, ICMP) looking for other Sky devices.
Wasteful of bandwidth since I cancelled my Mini boxes due to the massive Sky
bill.

Angus

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<5aad4ed335bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40933&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40933

From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 19:33:28 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Wed, 31 May 2023 18:33 UTC

In article <memo.20230531182733.41624A@magsys.adsl.magsys.co.uk>,
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd <angus@magsys.co.uk> wrote:
> > They use a proprietary WiFi network to stream video from the main
> > box to the mini box(es)

> I was writing some network diagnostic tools recently and was
> watching packets on my home LAN, and the Sky Q Silver box
> continually sends out private protocol broadcasts (ie not TCP, UDP,
> ARP, ICMP) looking for other Sky devices. Wasteful of bandwidth
> since I cancelled my Mini boxes due to the massive Sky bill.

Yes, We have a 2TB SkyQ box and a Sky minibox they are connected to
each other and the internet via Ethernet and their wi-fi is turned
off. The traffic that passes between these devices never stops even
when they're apparently doing nothing.

Bob.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u588jv$2g0qm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40934&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40934

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 20:53:35 +0100
 by: Woody - Wed, 31 May 2023 19:53 UTC

On Wed 31/05/2023 17:07, JNugent wrote:
> On 31/05/2023 12:25 pm, Davey wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 May 2023 11:57:01 +0100
>> Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know anything about Sky Hubs, and I'm not entirely sure what
>>> you are trying to do. Wi-Fi on TV receivers are usually about
>>> accessing the Internet in order to stream stuff. I'm not sure you can
>>> can connect them together in arbitrary ways.
>>
>> That is what they want to do. Their internet connection is via the Sky
>> Hub, it talks via WiFi to their PC. The Humax can see it, but cannot as
>> yet connect to Humax HQ, so has limited functionality. They are going
>> to look out for a password in their paperwork.
>>>
>>> You say, "[Your friends] also have a Sky dish and receiver, but it is
>>> used to access Freeview channels." I assume you mean Sky channels, as
>>> Freeview is strictly terrestrial.
>>
>> It receives Free channels, but yes, it must be basic Sky channels with
>> no frills. Freesat would have done the same job.
>>>
>>> The "BT networks" you mention, must belong to neighbours.
>>
>> I agree, it's the only sensible answer. All on the far side of the road!
>>>
>>> The obvious thing to do would be to connect the Sky receiver to the
>>> TV with HDMI.
>>
>> I believe that is already an HDMI connection, although I can't swear to
>> it. What would that do that a non-HDMI connection would do in this
>> case? Does the Sky Box have anything other than HDMI?
>>
>> Their wish is to get streaming working. the Humax used to do it before
>> Sky replaced a failing (trees blocking antenna path) installation,
>> they want to restore that. At the moment, there is no BBC iPlayer, ITVX,
>> etc. I was thinking that a Firestick on the back of the TV set or the
>> Humax would get its WiFi from the Sky Hub, and provide what they need,
>> and not require any cables.
>>
>>> Perhaps they want to record from Sky, which would
>>> require a Sky recorder of some kind.
>>
>> If they want to record from Sky, then they would need to subscribe to
>> Sky channels first, which is not in the plan. The Sky receiver is just
>> a basic channels conduit.
>>
>> Hope this makes some kind of sense!
>
> ISTR that a Sky+ box (HD or otherwise) without a valid viewing card will
> record "free" channels (BBC, ITV, etc) but obviously, will neither
> receive nor record subscription channels.
>
> It happened to us once. Due to some admin mix-up at Sky, we were getting
> subscription channels (Sky 1, Atlantic, Gold, etc) but were unable to
> record them. A telephone call to Sky sorted it out.
>
> But we *were* able to record BBC and all non-sub channels in the interim.

Slightly wrong JN.
A Sky+HD box with a Freesat-from-Sky card or an expired viewing card for
your area will show all of the FTA channels and will put the appropriate
BBC1 and ITV1 regions on 101 and 103 respectively. If the box is reset
without a card installed it will show BBC1 London and ITV Central West
(i.e. Brum.)
With a F-f-S card (once off £25) you will have to pay an additional fee
(used to be £10/month) to be able to record. I am unsure if they will
allow you to use an expired viewing card as a basis for recording - I
suspect not. Either way if you stop paying you loose access both to
making new recordings <and> to the recordings you have made previously.
How they will handle F-f-S when they change to broadband only is unclear
- I would guess they will drop it completely and anyone still needing
satellite sourced signals (i.e. no Freeview available) will have to
revert to plain vanilla Freesat.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<kdr0qvF24haU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40937&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40937

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:48:48 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 07:48 UTC

On 31/05/2023 17:02, Davey wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2023 12:37:12 +0100
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> You're talking about a Sky VDSL router ?  Nothing special, the WiFi
>> details may well be printed on the back on a sticker. If not the
>> admin u/n and password will be, and you can simply log in and see the
>> Wifi password in the WLAN set up page
>>
>> Start here
>> https://www.sky.com/help/articles/set-up-hub-which-sky-hub-do-you-have
> I don't think it's a VDSL unit, unless that also does ADSL.
It will. I can't think of any VDSL router that isn't backwardly
compatible for ADSL

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u59jp6$2o1cp$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40938&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40938

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:10:14 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:10 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:48:48 +0100
Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 31/05/2023 17:02, Davey wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 May 2023 12:37:12 +0100
> > Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> You're talking about a Sky VDSL router ?  Nothing special, the WiFi
> >> details may well be printed on the back on a sticker. If not the
> >> admin u/n and password will be, and you can simply log in and see
> >> the Wifi password in the WLAN set up page
> >>
> >> Start here
> >> https://www.sky.com/help/articles/set-up-hub-which-sky-hub-do-you-have
> > I don't think it's a VDSL unit, unless that also does ADSL.
> It will. I can't think of any VDSL router that isn't backwardly
> compatible for ADSL

But that doesn't mean that it's not an ADSL-only router.
Unlikely, nowadays, I agree, my Fritzbox does both, but still a valid
question. Or does the Sky Broadband Hub do VDSL by definition?

--
Davey.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<kdr2stF24haU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40939&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40939

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:23:57 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:23 UTC

On 01/06/2023 09:10, Davey wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:48:48 +0100
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 31/05/2023 17:02, Davey wrote:

>>> I don't think it's a VDSL unit, unless that also does ADSL.
>> It will. I can't think of any VDSL router that isn't backwardly
>> compatible for ADSL
> But that doesn't mean that it's not an ADSL-only router.
> Unlikely, nowadays, I agree, my Fritzbox does both, but still a valid
> question. Or does the Sky Broadband Hub do VDSL by definition?

Well, the Sky Broadband hub has a *DSL connector, (an RJ-11 socket) that
connects to an 'analogue' phone line. This supports ASDL and VDSL
connections, (depending upon what package has been selected (or is
possible from Openreach)

It also has a WAN socket (an RJ-45) for punters that have FTTP (this
connects to Openreach's ONT)

None of that differs at all to any other ISP supplied router. You plug
it in to whatever connection you have available, and it self configures.

I think you're getting bogged down with it being supplied by Sky, it's
basically a device that connects to the internet, and generates a WiFi
network

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u59mm9$2ocuj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40940&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40940

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:59:53 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:59 UTC

That all makes no sense to me. I'm sure supplemental questions will be
coming.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Davey" <davey@example.invalid> wrote in message
> Not knowing anything about Sky Hubs, do they put out a normal Wi-Fi
> signal that a Humax Freeview would understand and connect to? As long as
> one has the Password, of course. It feeds a PC, so I am hopeful.
> And would this also connect and serve an Amazon Firestick on the back
> of the TV set?
>
> Trying to get some friends better connected. They also have a Sky dish
> and receiver, but it is used to access Freeview channels. A standard
> antenna can receive virtually nothing, the house is in a dip, butn the
> dish gives them decent reception. The system is not how I would design
> it, it is more of an evolution rather than a design.
>
> They used to have a BT hub, ut changed that for the Sky. The Humax
> still thinks that there is a couple of BT networks out there, one
> password protected, one not. But connecting to the 'not' one fails to
> connect to the Humax setup mothership.
>
> --
> Davey.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u59ni9$2oggm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40941&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40941

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 10:14:49 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:14 UTC

Well, as I see it the dish may be merely freesat, if there is no Sky
subscription, If there is one, then I'd expect there to be a sky box in the
mix. So if we assume no Sky sub, only boadband and its at a reasonable speed
and the wifi on their hub is on, then you should be able to connect anything
that can take a wifi signal to it, or anything wired to its network outputs,
be that a free anything box or a firestick. However as you say, you have the
wifi password. Then of course you have the issue of what can you get on the
internet. Well all the various broadcasters streaming services. All, as far
as I know have to have a password and are accessed by an app or via a web
site. Thus logging in may need to be automated, certainly the firestick can
cope with this, but there could well be an issue recording content via any
tv recorder, as it can block stuff, you would need to enquire.
If this person wants the extras from Sky, then you can get boxes that also
interface to the internet, under a subscription, and as they are phasing out
dishes, you might be able to add that in if they still support more than a
basic system. Likewise with the paid for things like Netflix, which can come
with the sky bundle, along with Discovery plus, but there are now so many
paid for channels and streams it can be a real pain. I have to say that
having listened to some of these channels, I was not inspired to take out a
sub to any of them. I bet within 5 years many of them will appear on
terrestrial/freesat in any case.
Ignore the BT ones these belong to other people and it would be illegal to
use them unless its one of the ones where BT give a discount if you allow
some of your wifi to be used for the public. Something I've never been very
happy about, and in any case the speeds are very slow.
Brian

--

--:
"Max Demian" <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On 30/05/2023 23:23, Davey wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 May 2023 16:15:25 +0100
>> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Not knowing anything about Sky Hubs, do they put out a normal Wi-Fi
>>> signal that a Humax Freeview would understand and connect to? As long
>>> as one has the Password, of course. It feeds a PC, so I am hopeful.
>>> And would this also connect and serve an Amazon Firestick on the back
>>> of the TV set?
>>>
>>> Trying to get some friends better connected. They also have a Sky dish
>>> and receiver, but it is used to access Freeview channels. A standard
>>> antenna can receive virtually nothing, the house is in a dip, butn the
>>> dish gives them decent reception. The system is not how I would design
>>> it, it is more of an evolution rather than a design.
>>>
>>> They used to have a BT hub, ut changed that for the Sky. The Humax
>>> still thinks that there is a couple of BT networks out there, one
>>> password protected, one not. But connecting to the 'not' one fails to
>>> connect to the Humax setup mothership.
>>>

>> Nobody?
>
> I don't know anything about Sky Hubs, and I'm not entirely sure what you
> are trying to do. Wi-Fi on TV receivers are usually about accessing the
> Internet in order to stream stuff. I'm not sure you can can connect them
> together in arbitrary ways.
>
> You say, "[Your friends] also have a Sky dish and receiver, but it is used
> to access Freeview channels." I assume you mean Sky channels, as Freeview
> is strictly terrestrial.
>
> The "BT networks" you mention, must belong to neighbours.
>
> The obvious thing to do would be to connect the Sky receiver to the TV
> with HDMI. Perhaps they want to record from Sky, which would require a Sky
> recorder of some kind.
>
> --
> Max Demian

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u59qem$2omue$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40951&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40951

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:04:05 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 10:04 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:23:57 +0100
Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Well, the Sky Broadband hub has a *DSL connector, (an RJ-11 socket)
> that connects to an 'analogue' phone line. This supports ASDL and
> VDSL connections, (depending upon what package has been selected (or
> is possible from Openreach)

They are only using the ADSL connection. Then it broadcasts WiFi,
presently to the PC upstairs. This does the same as the old BT Hub did.

> It also has a WAN socket (an RJ-45) for punters that have FTTP (this
> connects to Openreach's ONT)
>
> None of that differs at all to any other ISP supplied router. You
> plug it in to whatever connection you have available, and it self
> configures.
>
> I think you're getting bogged down with it being supplied by Sky,
> it's basically a device that connects to the internet, and generates
> a WiFi network

And that makes sense. As far as the Broadband Hub is concerned, it
talks WiFi to the PC, and hopefully it can talk WiFi to the Humax. it
tries, but needed the Password. Hopefully that is now (soon?) available.

When the old system, with roof-mounted antenna, became pretty
useless, they contacted Sky, who provided a new set of boxes to give
them a working setup, but there is no Sky subscription paid, so no
Sky-specific services. So they have two different Sky boxes, one a
broadband Hub, the other fed by a Sky Dish, that have a failure to
communicate, the major problem being lack of any Streaming ability, not
even BBC iPlayer being available.

The Sky Dish, figure-of-eight cables, and Sky Box are connected to the
TV set, (as is the Humax), but have no known connection to the Broadband
Hub.

The Sky Dish provides basic channels, such as one would get on
Freeview, but with no streaming abilities, and no Sky Channels, as
there is no subscription. It is functionally similar to a Freesat setup.

Hopefully this describes the layout and history.

--
Davey.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u59qj1$2omue$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40952&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40952

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:06:24 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 10:06 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:59:53 +0100
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> That all makes no sense to me. I'm sure supplemental questions will
> be coming.
> Brian

Read on. They have indeed been asked, and I have tried to answer them.
I did not design this system as described, and I would not have done so.
As the old country saying goes, to get there, I wouldn't have started
from here.

--
Davey.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<kdrb3lF32qaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40955&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40955

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:44:06 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 10:44 UTC

On 01/06/2023 11:04, Davey wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:23:57 +0100
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Well, the Sky Broadband hub has a *DSL connector, (an RJ-11 socket)
>> that connects to an 'analogue' phone line. This supports ASDL and
>> VDSL connections, (depending upon what package has been selected (or
>> is possible from Openreach)
>>
> They are only using the ADSL connection. Then it broadcasts WiFi,
> presently to the PC upstairs. This does the same as the old BT Hub did.
>
>> It also has a WAN socket (an RJ-45) for punters that have FTTP (this
>> connects to Openreach's ONT)
>>
>> None of that differs at all to any other ISP supplied router. You
>> plug it in to whatever connection you have available, and it self
>> configures.
>>
>> I think you're getting bogged down with it being supplied by Sky,
>> it's basically a device that connects to the internet, and generates
>> a WiFi network
> And that makes sense. As far as the Broadband Hub is concerned, it
> talks WiFi to the PC, and hopefully it can talk WiFi to the Humax. it
> tries, but needed the Password. Hopefully that is now (soon?) available.
>
> When the old system, with roof-mounted antenna, became pretty
> useless, they contacted Sky, who provided a new set of boxes to give
> them a working setup, but there is no Sky subscription paid, so no
> Sky-specific services. So they have two different Sky boxes, one a
> broadband Hub, the other fed by a Sky Dish, that have a failure to
> communicate, the major problem being lack of any Streaming ability, not
> even BBC iPlayer being available.
>
> The Sky Dish, figure-of-eight cables, and Sky Box are connected to the
> TV set, (as is the Humax), but have no known connection to the Broadband
> Hub.
>
> The Sky Dish provides basic channels, such as one would get on
> Freeview, but with no streaming abilities, and no Sky Channels, as
> there is no subscription. It is functionally similar to a Freesat setup.
>
> Hopefully this describes the layout and history.

It sounds to me that the Sky 'TV' box is the older Sky+ box, (which has
no facilities for streaming anyway) so it's of no consequence anyway in
this scenario.

What may well be a consideration is if the broadband connection is only
ADSL, then that might be limiting for any sustained use of streaming.

It depends however. ADSL maxes out at about 19 Mb/s if you are next door
to the exchange, (in which case fine) or can go as low as less than 1
Mb/s if you are 5 or 6 miles from the exchange (non starter for streaming)

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u5a4lv$2pt62$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40963&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40963

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 13:58:37 +0100
<kdrb3lF32qaU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Davey - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 12:58 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:44:06 +0100
Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 01/06/2023 11:04, Davey wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:23:57 +0100
> > Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> Well, the Sky Broadband hub has a *DSL connector, (an RJ-11 socket)
> >> that connects to an 'analogue' phone line. This supports ASDL and
> >> VDSL connections, (depending upon what package has been selected
> >> (or is possible from Openreach)
> >>
> > They are only using the ADSL connection. Then it broadcasts WiFi,
> > presently to the PC upstairs. This does the same as the old BT Hub
> > did.
> >> It also has a WAN socket (an RJ-45) for punters that have FTTP
> >> (this connects to Openreach's ONT)
> >>
> >> None of that differs at all to any other ISP supplied router. You
> >> plug it in to whatever connection you have available, and it self
> >> configures.
> >>
> >> I think you're getting bogged down with it being supplied by Sky,
> >> it's basically a device that connects to the internet, and
> >> generates a WiFi network
> > And that makes sense. As far as the Broadband Hub is concerned, it
> > talks WiFi to the PC, and hopefully it can talk WiFi to the Humax.
> > it tries, but needed the Password. Hopefully that is now (soon?)
> > available.
> >
> > When the old system, with roof-mounted antenna, became pretty
> > useless, they contacted Sky, who provided a new set of boxes to give
> > them a working setup, but there is no Sky subscription paid, so no
> > Sky-specific services. So they have two different Sky boxes, one a
> > broadband Hub, the other fed by a Sky Dish, that have a failure to
> > communicate, the major problem being lack of any Streaming ability,
> > not even BBC iPlayer being available.
> >
> > The Sky Dish, figure-of-eight cables, and Sky Box are connected to
> > the TV set, (as is the Humax), but have no known connection to the
> > Broadband Hub.
> >
> > The Sky Dish provides basic channels, such as one would get on
> > Freeview, but with no streaming abilities, and no Sky Channels, as
> > there is no subscription. It is functionally similar to a Freesat
> > setup.
> >
> > Hopefully this describes the layout and history.
> >
> It sounds to me that the Sky 'TV' box is the older Sky+ box, (which
> has no facilities for streaming anyway) so it's of no consequence
> anyway in this scenario.

Agreed. They are not interested in going down that route.

> What may well be a consideration is if the broadband connection is
> only ADSL, then that might be limiting for any sustained use of
> streaming.
>
> It depends however. ADSL maxes out at about 19 Mb/s if you are next
> door to the exchange, (in which case fine) or can go as low as less
> than 1 Mb/s if you are 5 or 6 miles from the exchange (non starter
> for streaming)

I am on ADSL, and I can stream TV with no problem. My friends used to,
when there was an internet connection to the Humax. They just want to
get that back. As for proximity to the exchange, they are in a town,
rather than out in the sticks, like me, but mine is still fine.

--
Davey.