Though I'll admit readability suffers slightly... -- Larry Wall in <2969@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Basic question on connectivity

SubjectAuthor
* Basic question on connectivityDavey
+* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
|`* Re: Basic question on connectivityMax Demian
| +* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| |+* Re: Basic question on connectivityMark Carver
| ||+* Re: Basic question on connectivityAngus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
| ||`* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| || `* Re: Basic question on connectivityMark Carver
| ||  `* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| ||   `* Re: Basic question on connectivityMark Carver
| ||    `* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| ||     `* Re: Basic question on connectivityMark Carver
| ||      `* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| ||       `* Re: Basic question on connectivityMark Carver
| ||        +- Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| ||        `* Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| ||         `* Re: Basic question on connectivityRoderick Stewart
| ||          `- Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey
| |+* Re: Basic question on connectivityJNugent
| ||`- Re: Basic question on connectivityWoody
| |`- Re: Basic question on connectivityRoderick Stewart
| `- Re: Basic question on connectivityBrian Gaff
+- Re: Basic question on connectivityJNugent
`* Re: Basic question on connectivityBrian Gaff
 `- Re: Basic question on connectivityDavey

Pages:12
Re: Basic question on connectivity

<kdrku6F552dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40966&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40966

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Basic question on connectivity
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 14:31:50 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 13:31 UTC

On 01/06/2023 13:58, Davey wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:44:06 +0100
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 01/06/2023 11:04, Davey wrote:

>>> They are only using the ADSL connection. Then it broadcasts WiFi,
>>> presently to the PC upstairs. This does the same as the old BT Hub
>>> did.

>>> And that makes sense. As far as the Broadband Hub is concerned, it
>>> talks WiFi to the PC, and hopefully it can talk WiFi to the Humax.
>>> it tries, but needed the Password. Hopefully that is now (soon?)
>>> available.
>>>
>>> When the old system, with roof-mounted antenna, became pretty
>>> useless, they contacted Sky, who provided a new set of boxes to give
>>> them a working setup, but there is no Sky subscription paid, so no
>>> Sky-specific services. So they have two different Sky boxes, one a
>>> broadband Hub, the other fed by a Sky Dish, that have a failure to
>>> communicate, the major problem being lack of any Streaming ability,
>>> not even BBC iPlayer being available.
>>>
>>> The Sky Dish, figure-of-eight cables, and Sky Box are connected to
>>> the TV set, (as is the Humax), but have no known connection to the
>>> Broadband Hub.
>>>
>>> The Sky Dish provides basic channels, such as one would get on
>>> Freeview, but with no streaming abilities, and no Sky Channels, as
>>> there is no subscription. It is functionally similar to a Freesat
>>> setup.
>>>
>>> Hopefully this describes the layout and history.
>>>
>> It sounds to me that the Sky 'TV' box is the older Sky+ box, (which
>> has no facilities for streaming anyway) so it's of no consequence
>> anyway in this scenario.
>>
> Agreed. They are not interested in going down that route.
>
>> What may well be a consideration is if the broadband connection is
>> only ADSL, then that might be limiting for any sustained use of
>> streaming.
>>
>> It depends however. ADSL maxes out at about 19 Mb/s if you are next
>> door to the exchange, (in which case fine) or can go as low as less
>> than 1 Mb/s if you are 5 or 6 miles from the exchange (non starter
>> for streaming)
> I am on ADSL, and I can stream TV with no problem. My friends used to,
> when there was an internet connection to the Humax. They just want to
> get that back. As for proximity to the exchange, they are in a town,
> rather than out in the sticks, like me, but mine is still fine.

Yes, you can get away with 7 or 8 Mb/s for 4K/UHD streaming (if it's
multi-pass non real time encoded) i.e. non live content, and 2-3 Mb/s for HD

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u5aqpd$2s8l7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40969&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40969

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 20:15:54 +0100
<kdrb3lF32qaU1@mid.individual.net>
<u5a4lv$2pt62$1@dont-email.me>
<kdrku6F552dU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Davey - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 19:15 UTC

snip

> >> What may well be a consideration is if the broadband connection is
> >> only ADSL, then that might be limiting for any sustained use of
> >> streaming.
> >>
> >> It depends however. ADSL maxes out at about 19 Mb/s if you are next
> >> door to the exchange, (in which case fine) or can go as low as less
> >> than 1 Mb/s if you are 5 or 6 miles from the exchange (non starter
> >> for streaming)
> > I am on ADSL, and I can stream TV with no problem. My friends used
> > to, when there was an internet connection to the Humax. They just
> > want to get that back. As for proximity to the exchange, they are
> > in a town, rather than out in the sticks, like me, but mine is
> > still fine.
> Yes, you can get away with 7 or 8 Mb/s for 4K/UHD streaming (if it's
> multi-pass non real time encoded) i.e. non live content, and 2-3 Mb/s
> for HD

And I do not stream anything remotely HD.
--
Davey.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u5dpbc$39tfo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40994&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40994

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 23:09:48 +0100
<kdrb3lF32qaU1@mid.individual.net>
<u5a4lv$2pt62$1@dont-email.me>
<kdrku6F552dU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Davey - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 22:09 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 14:31:50 +0100
Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 01/06/2023 13:58, Davey wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:44:06 +0100
> > Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >> It sounds to me that the Sky 'TV' box is the older Sky+ box, (which
> >> has no facilities for streaming anyway) so it's of no consequence
> >> anyway in this scenario.
> >>
> > Agreed. They are not interested in going down that route.
> >
> >> What may well be a consideration is if the broadband connection is
> >> only ADSL, then that might be limiting for any sustained use of
> >> streaming.
> >>
> >> It depends however. ADSL maxes out at about 19 Mb/s if you are next
> >> door to the exchange, (in which case fine) or can go as low as less
> >> than 1 Mb/s if you are 5 or 6 miles from the exchange (non starter
> >> for streaming)
> > I am on ADSL, and I can stream TV with no problem. My friends used
> > to, when there was an internet connection to the Humax. They just
> > want to get that back. As for proximity to the exchange, they are
> > in a town, rather than out in the sticks, like me, but mine is
> > still fine.
> Yes, you can get away with 7 or 8 Mb/s for 4K/UHD streaming (if it's
> multi-pass non real time encoded) i.e. non live content, and 2-3 Mb/s
> for HD

Zen have just sent me a message about upgrading to fibre, and it
includes this current data:

"6 Mbps Average download speed^
0.4 Mbps Average upload speed"

--
Davey.

Whatever, it does what I need.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<rovl7i9f0bdp6q5lj89v0pa6ogjhmn93mm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40998&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40998

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
References: <u553ud$2151p$2@dont-email.me> <u55t05$24caa$1@dont-email.me> <u5795s$2cjm3$1@dont-email.me> <u57arh$2cire$2@dont-email.me> <kdopr8Fl3emU4@mid.individual.net> <u57r2n$2el7u$1@dont-email.me> <kdr0qvF24haU1@mid.individual.net> <u59jp6$2o1cp$3@dont-email.me> <kdr2stF24haU2@mid.individual.net> <u59qem$2omue$1@dont-email.me> <kdrb3lF32qaU1@mid.individual.net> <u5a4lv$2pt62$1@dont-email.me> <kdrku6F552dU1@mid.individual.net> <u5dpbc$39tfo$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 09:53:27 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 08:53 UTC

On Fri, 2 Jun 2023 23:09:48 +0100, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
wrote:

>Zen have just sent me a message about upgrading to fibre, and it
>includes this current data:
>
>"6 Mbps Average download speed^
>0.4 Mbps Average upload speed"

If those are your current speeds and you have the option of upgrading
to fibre, then go for it. You really will notice the difference.

Rod.

Re: Basic question on connectivity

<u5ev9m$3h7f0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40999&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40999

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 09:57:26 +0100
<kdrb3lF32qaU1@mid.individual.net>
<u5a4lv$2pt62$1@dont-email.me>
<kdrku6F552dU1@mid.individual.net>
<u5dpbc$39tfo$1@dont-email.me>
<rovl7i9f0bdp6q5lj89v0pa6ogjhmn93mm@4ax.com>
 by: Davey - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 08:57 UTC

On Sat, 03 Jun 2023 09:53:27 +0100
Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jun 2023 23:09:48 +0100, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >Zen have just sent me a message about upgrading to fibre, and it
> >includes this current data:
> >
> >"6 Mbps Average download speed^
> >0.4 Mbps Average upload speed"
>
> If those are your current speeds and you have the option of upgrading
> to fibre, then go for it. You really will notice the difference.
>
> Rod.

While I don't doubt that fibre would be faster, what could be better
than streaming that never falters or shows the dreaded rotating wheel?
As I say, I don't stream anything HD.

I will take fibre when I have to, and my copper line is finally
disconnected.

--
davey.