Many are called, few volunteer.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

SubjectAuthor
* Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Brian Gaff
`* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Mark Carver
 `* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Davey
  +* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Woody
  |+* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Mark Carver
  ||`* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?alan_m
  || `* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Brian Gaff
  ||  `* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?MB
  ||   `- Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?alan_m
  |+* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?MB
  ||`- Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?NY
  |+- Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?SH
  |+* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?NY
  ||`* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?charles
  || `- Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Mark Carver
  |`* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Brian Gaff
  | `* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?R. Mark Clayton
  |  `* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?SH
  |   +- Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Mark Carver
  |   `* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?NY
  |    `* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?SH
  |     +- Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Andy Burns
  |     +- Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Max Demian
  |     `- Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?R. Mark Clayton
  +* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Mark Carver
  |`* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?MB
  | `* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?James Heaton
  |  `* Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?MB
  |   `- Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Brian Gaff
  `- Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?Brian Gaff

Pages:12
Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubi9qj$3965q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41794&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41794

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 11:53:04 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 10:53 UTC

I wonder as I have a number of working Smarttalk boxes made by Goodman's
here which need new remotes of some kind and if the current sd channels are
all going to migrate inside the hd multiplexers, than these can go to the
recyclers, but if there is a life of normal channels staying receivable,
I'll get some remotes and sell them at cost of the remote. Their one foible
is that just sometimes the AD stops, and one has to tune away and back to
restore it. I am told it is a glitch in the hardware running too slowly. I
mean they were dirt cheap when new!

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<kk3pfqFtj52U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41795&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41795

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:16:09 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 11:16 UTC

On 16/08/2023 11:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I wonder as I have a number of working Smarttalk boxes made by Goodman's
> here which need new remotes of some kind and if the current sd channels are
> all going to migrate inside the hd multiplexers, than these can go to the
> recyclers, but if there is a life of normal channels staying receivable,

There is no roadmap (as they say) for the five present DVB-T muxes to
migrate to DVB-T2. Don't worry about it for the moment, it's not going
to happen in the short term

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubiikm$3ade5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41796&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41796

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 14:23:34 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 13:23 UTC

On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:16:09 +0100
Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 16/08/2023 11:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
> > I wonder as I have a number of working Smarttalk boxes made by
> > Goodman's here which need new remotes of some kind and if the
> > current sd channels are all going to migrate inside the hd
> > multiplexers, than these can go to the recyclers, but if there is
> > a life of normal channels staying receivable,
> There is no roadmap (as they say) for the five present DVB-T muxes to
> migrate to DVB-T2. Don't worry about it for the moment, it's not
> going to happen in the short term

But when it does, it won't be announced in advance, so nobody will be
prepared.

--
Davey.

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubingh$3b3j8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41797&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41797

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 15:46:41 +0100
 by: Woody - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 14:46 UTC

On Wed 16/08/2023 14:23, Davey wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:16:09 +0100
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 16/08/2023 11:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> I wonder as I have a number of working Smarttalk boxes made by
>>> Goodman's here which need new remotes of some kind and if the
>>> current sd channels are all going to migrate inside the hd
>>> multiplexers, than these can go to the recyclers, but if there is
>>> a life of normal channels staying receivable,
>> There is no roadmap (as they say) for the five present DVB-T muxes to
>> migrate to DVB-T2. Don't worry about it for the moment, it's not
>> going to happen in the short term
>
> But when it does, it won't be announced in advance, so nobody will be
> prepared.

I wonder if they will do a DSO game on it? If only four T2 muxes are
required to handle all of the channels we have now but in HD, surely the
simple answer would be to leave one T1 mux operational carrying the
basic BBC/ITV/4/5 channels in SD.

Having stayed on a campsite that had only a relay - 14 channels total -
for the better part of a fortnight, I can assure you it is enough to
drive you up the wall when you are used to getting on for 100 channels.
Such an event would surely make people who do not have a T2 equipped
receiver start saving their pennies - or go onto Freesat?

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<kk45tsFtk4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41798&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41798

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 15:48:28 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 14:48 UTC

On 16/08/2023 14:23, Davey wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:16:09 +0100
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 16/08/2023 11:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> I wonder as I have a number of working Smarttalk boxes made by
>>> Goodman's here which need new remotes of some kind and if the
>>> current sd channels are all going to migrate inside the hd
>>> multiplexers, than these can go to the recyclers, but if there is
>>> a life of normal channels staying receivable,
>> There is no roadmap (as they say) for the five present DVB-T muxes to
>> migrate to DVB-T2. Don't worry about it for the moment, it's not
>> going to happen in the short term
> But when it does, it won't be announced in advance, so nobody will be
> prepared.

Oh, there'll be consultations published by Ofcom, the BBC will
procrastinate for months, only those with their heads in the sand will
fail to notice.

Just look how long it's taking to switch R4 LW off !

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<kk461vFtk4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41799&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41799

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 15:50:39 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 14:50 UTC

On 16/08/2023 15:46, Woody wrote:
> On Wed 16/08/2023 14:23, Davey wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:16:09 +0100
>> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> There is no roadmap (as they say) for the five present DVB-T muxes to
>>> migrate to DVB-T2. Don't worry about it for the moment, it's not
>>> going to happen in the short term
>>
>> But when it does, it won't be announced in advance, so nobody will be
>> prepared.
>>

> I wonder if they will do a DSO game on it? If only four T2 muxes are
> required to handle all of the channels we have now but in HD, surely
> the simple answer would be to leave one T1 mux operational carrying
> the basic BBC/ITV/4/5 channels in SD.
>
> Having stayed on a campsite that had only a relay - 14 channels total
> - for the better part of a fortnight, I can assure you it is enough to
> drive you up the wall when you are used to getting on for 100 channels.

Really ?   I don't think I rotinely watch more that three or four
different channels today, exactly the same number as 40 years ago !

Some days we don't watch any telly at all

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<kk481nF1cd5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41800&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41800

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 16:24:40 +0100
 by: alan_m - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 15:24 UTC

On 16/08/2023 15:50, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 16/08/2023 15:46, Woody wrote:

>> Having stayed on a campsite that had only a relay - 14 channels total
>> - for the better part of a fortnight, I can assure you it is enough to
>> drive you up the wall when you are used to getting on for 100 channels.
>
> Really ?   I don't think I rotinely watch more that three or four
> different channels today, exactly the same number as 40 years ago !
>
> Some days we don't watch any telly at all

I possible don't watch more than a dozen channels, but not necessarily
the same ones as a decade ago.

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubipo5$3bhii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41801&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41801

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 16:24:53 +0100
 by: MB - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 15:24 UTC

On 16/08/2023 15:46, Woody wrote:
> Having stayed on a campsite that had only a relay - 14 channels total -
> for the better part of a fortnight, I can assure you it is enough to
> drive you up the wall when you are used to getting on for 100 channels.
> Such an event would surely make people who do not have a T2 equipped
> receiver start saving their pennies - or go onto Freesat?

We only have Freeview Lite here and I have never had desire to go and
get all the other channels by satellite, never seen an channels
mentioned that interest me.

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubipse$3bhii$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41802&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41802

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 16:27:09 +0100
 by: MB - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 15:27 UTC

On 16/08/2023 15:48, Mark Carver wrote:
> Just look how long it's taking to switch R4 LW off !

Is there still the cricket lobby who do not want to change? They prefer
to sleep through a LW commentary rather than a DAB or online one.

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubj1b4$3cpho$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41805&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41805

From: heatonandmoore@gmail.com (James Heaton)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 18:34:32 +0100
 by: James Heaton - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 17:34 UTC

On 16/08/2023 16:27, MB wrote:
> On 16/08/2023 15:48, Mark Carver wrote:
>> Just look how long it's taking to switch R4 LW off !
>

> Is there still the cricket lobby who do not want to change?  They prefer
> to sleep through a LW commentary rather than a DAB or online one.

Cricket has finished on 198LW now; the last test vs Australia was the
last game apparently.

James

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubj275$3cv1a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41806&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41806

From: i.love@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 18:49:26 +0100
 by: SH - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 17:49 UTC

On 16/08/2023 15:46, Woody wrote:
> On Wed 16/08/2023 14:23, Davey wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:16:09 +0100
>> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> There is no roadmap (as they say) for the five present DVB-T muxes to
>>> migrate to DVB-T2. Don't worry about it for the moment, it's not
>>> going to happen in the short term
>>
>> But when it does, it won't be announced in advance, so nobody will be
>> prepared.
>>

> I wonder if they will do a DSO game on it? If only four T2 muxes are
> required to handle all of the channels we have now but in HD, surely the
> simple answer would be to leave one T1 mux operational carrying the
> basic BBC/ITV/4/5 channels in SD.
>
> Having stayed on a campsite that had only a relay - 14 channels total -
> for the better part of a fortnight, I can assure you it is enough to
> drive you up the wall when you are used to getting on for 100 channels.
> Such an event would surely make people who do not have a T2 equipped
> receiver start saving their pennies - or go onto Freesat?

what was the mobile network reception like?

I'm thinking iplayer, ITV hub, demand5 and All4 could have been possible?

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubj2rt$3d2md$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41807&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41807

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 19:00:29 +0100
 by: MB - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 18:00 UTC

On 16/08/2023 18:34, James Heaton wrote:
> Cricket has finished on 198LW now; the last test vs Australia was the
> last game apparently.

Never watched or listened to cricket so had no idea, I manage to get to
sleep OK without it.

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubkm6m$3nbbk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41808&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41808

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:36:35 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 08:36 UTC

"Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Wed 16/08/2023 14:23, Davey wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:16:09 +0100
>> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> There is no roadmap (as they say) for the five present DVB-T muxes to
>>> migrate to DVB-T2. Don't worry about it for the moment, it's not
>>> going to happen in the short term
>>
>> But when it does, it won't be announced in advance, so nobody will be
>> prepared.
>>

> I wonder if they will do a DSO game on it? If only four T2 muxes are
> required to handle all of the channels we have now but in HD, surely the
> simple answer would be to leave one T1 mux operational carrying the basic
> BBC/ITV/4/5 channels in SD.

It's a shame that on satellite, BBC couldn't leave a single,
non-regionalised SD version of its channels, in addition to all the
regionalised HD versions of BBC 1 etc.

HD is great, but there are times when the simpler coding of MPEG rather than
H264 makes it so much quicker to search through a recording at high speed
using VideoRedo etc to find cut points for continuity or commercial breaks.
OK, that's rather a niche requirement :-)

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubkmcu$3nc20$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41809&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41809

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:39:25 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 08:39 UTC

"MB" <MB@nospam.net> wrote in message news:ubipo5$3bhii$1@dont-email.me...
> On 16/08/2023 15:46, Woody wrote:
>> Having stayed on a campsite that had only a relay - 14 channels total -
>> for the better part of a fortnight, I can assure you it is enough to
>> drive you up the wall when you are used to getting on for 100 channels.
>> Such an event would surely make people who do not have a T2 equipped
>> receiver start saving their pennies - or go onto Freesat?
>

> We only have Freeview Lite here and I have never had desire to go and get
> all the other channels by satellite, never seen an channels mentioned that
> interest me.

I'd miss Yesterday and Drama, but those are the only two non-Freeview-Lite
channels that I regularly watch programmes from. OK, programmes are
available online on catchup sites, but watching something by streaming is no
substitute for having my own copy that never times out and from which I can
edit out the non-programme dross (continuity/commercials) before watching.

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<5ad545871acharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41810&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41810

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 23 09:08:02 UTC
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: charles - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:08 UTC

In article <ubkm6m$3nbbk$1@dont-email.me>,
NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> "Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > On Wed 16/08/2023 14:23, Davey wrote:

> >> But when it does, it won't be announced in advance, so nobody will be
> >> prepared.
> >>

> > I wonder if they will do a DSO game on it? If only four T2 muxes are
> > required to handle all of the channels we have now but in HD, surely
> > the simple answer would be to leave one T1 mux operational carrying
> > the basic BBC/ITV/4/5 channels in SD.

> It's a shame that on satellite, BBC couldn't leave a single,
> non-regionalised SD version of its channels, in addition to all the
> regionalised HD versions of BBC 1 etc.

What programmes would it put in the regional slots? Or transmit nothing>

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<kk688nFb27hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41811&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41811

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:40:38 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:40 UTC

On 17/08/2023 10:08, charles wrote:
> In article <ubkm6m$3nbbk$1@dont-email.me>,
> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> "Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>>> I wonder if they will do a DSO game on it? If only four T2 muxes are
>>> required to handle all of the channels we have now but in HD, surely
>>> the simple answer would be to leave one T1 mux operational carrying
>>> the basic BBC/ITV/4/5 channels in SD.
>> It's a shame that on satellite, BBC couldn't leave a single,
>> non-regionalised SD version of its channels, in addition to all the
>> regionalised HD versions of BBC 1 etc.
> What programmes would it put in the regional slots? Or transmit nothing>

Well, since March there has been a single national SD version of BBC 1
running on satellite ! In the regional gaps there's a caption explaining
what's what.

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubkqeh$3nulu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41812&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41812

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:49:02 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:49 UTC

Some sd channels are not visible on these boxes, so one assumes someofthe
channels are already moved, hence my question... Sadly the shopping channels
are not amongst them.

It is a bit like the early DAB radios like the Pure sonus 1, the number of
stations it can pick up is becoming minimal, most are bbc stations, I heard
Classic say it was going dab plus the other day.
Brian

--

--:
"Davey" <davey@example.invalid> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:16:09 +0100
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 16/08/2023 11:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> > I wonder as I have a number of working Smarttalk boxes made by
>> > Goodman's here which need new remotes of some kind and if the
>> > current sd channels are all going to migrate inside the hd
>> > multiplexers, than these can go to the recyclers, but if there is
>> > a life of normal channels staying receivable,
>> There is no roadmap (as they say) for the five present DVB-T muxes to
>> migrate to DVB-T2. Don't worry about it for the moment, it's not
>> going to happen in the short term
>
> But when it does, it won't be announced in advance, so nobody will be
> prepared.
>
> --
> Davey.

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubkqhu$3nv46$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41813&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41813

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:50:51 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:50 UTC

Yes who pays for Freesat, as if Sky carry on soon they will only be on line.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Wed 16/08/2023 14:23, Davey wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:16:09 +0100
>> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> There is no roadmap (as they say) for the five present DVB-T muxes to
>>> migrate to DVB-T2. Don't worry about it for the moment, it's not
>>> going to happen in the short term
>>
>> But when it does, it won't be announced in advance, so nobody will be
>> prepared.
>>

> I wonder if they will do a DSO game on it? If only four T2 muxes are
> required to handle all of the channels we have now but in HD, surely the
> simple answer would be to leave one T1 mux operational carrying the basic
> BBC/ITV/4/5 channels in SD.
>
> Having stayed on a campsite that had only a relay - 14 channels total -
> for the better part of a fortnight, I can assure you it is enough to drive
> you up the wall when you are used to getting on for 100 channels. Such an
> event would surely make people who do not have a T2 equipped receiver
> start saving their pennies - or go onto Freesat?

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubkqsh$3o09g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41814&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41814

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:56:30 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:56 UTC

Yes I agree. I seldom see much difference. IE Yesterday has been
commissioning new series as has Really and WE, but the main channels have
just as many repeats, and since the shows with audiences on several of the
main channels are now far more noisy then when I went to recordings I find
them brash and tasteless most of the time with open cheering and jeering
all the time. Its more like a pantomime audience than anything serious.
Brian

--

--:
"alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 16/08/2023 15:50, Mark Carver wrote:
>> On 16/08/2023 15:46, Woody wrote:
>
>>> Having stayed on a campsite that had only a relay - 14 channels total -
>>> for the better part of a fortnight, I can assure you it is enough to
>>> drive you up the wall when you are used to getting on for 100 channels.
>>
>> Really ? I don't think I rotinely watch more that three or four different
>> channels today, exactly the same number as 40 years ago !
>>
>> Some days we don't watch any telly at all
>
> I possible don't watch more than a dozen channels, but not necessarily the
> same ones as a decade ago.
>
> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubkr7d$3o2bn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41815&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41815

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 11:02:18 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:02 UTC

I have found a new sleep sound other than sports commentaries. its on the
Amazon echo. Open sleep jar
Space deck
It sounds like a slightly basier version of brown noise and is supposed to
be what you might hear on Star Trek.
However played low level it does mask out those little noises in a house
that keep you awake.

Does anyone know what they are going to put out in the late night slots of
local radio after 5th October. We really need a mixture of relatively quiet
music, a person who is more than just a talking head and doing phone ins on
less than serious things, which in the main was what the regions did before
unless bloody sport overran of course.
Brian

--

--:
"MB" <MB@nospam.net> wrote in message news:ubj2rt$3d2md$1@dont-email.me...
> On 16/08/2023 18:34, James Heaton wrote:
>> Cricket has finished on 198LW now; the last test vs Australia was the
>> last game apparently.
>

> Never watched or listened to cricket so had no idea, I manage to get to
> sleep OK without it.

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubn1s3$5be7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41819&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41819

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:08:03 +0100
 by: MB - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 06:08 UTC

On 17/08/2023 10:56, Brian Gaff wrote:
> and since the shows with audiences on several of the main channels are
> now far more noisy then when I went to recordings I find them brash and
> tasteless most of the time with open cheering and jeering all the time.
> Its more like a pantomime audience than anything serious.

I suppose that it depends what you watch, I have never noticed that.

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<kk8oo1Fmv26U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41820&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41820

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:34:09 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:34 UTC

On 18/08/2023 07:08, MB wrote:
> On 17/08/2023 10:56, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> and since the shows with audiences on several of the main channels are
>> now far more noisy then when I went to recordings I find them brash
>> and tasteless most of the time with open cheering and jeering all the
>> time. Its more like a pantomime audience than anything serious.
>

> I suppose that it depends what you watch, I have never noticed that.

It's mainly the talent(less) shows where that happens. When, say, a
singer hits a (auto-tuned) high note the audience are encouraged to
cheer and clap.

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<b740b1d7-30c6-40ea-ba8c-2ce3b411fcacn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41826&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41826

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 05:22:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 12:22 UTC

On Thursday, 17 August 2023 at 10:50:57 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Yes who pays for Freesat, as if Sky carry on soon they will only be on line.
> Brian

Advertisers and / or the channels I thought, plus the TV makers pay a royalty.

BTW Basic Freeview dongle from Amazon <£30
Combined DVB-T2, DVB-S2 receiver from Amazon <£40

Assuming your TV has an HDMI socket then either will do, the latter also has SCART, which might save you an unnecessary upgrade.

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<ubnq21$8vdn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41830&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41830

From: i.love@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 14:00:48 +0100
 by: SH - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 13:00 UTC

On 18/08/2023 13:22, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 August 2023 at 10:50:57 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> Yes who pays for Freesat, as if Sky carry on soon they will only be on line.
>> Brian
>>

> Advertisers and / or the channels I thought, plus the TV makers pay a royalty.
>
> BTW Basic Freeview dongle from Amazon <£30
> Combined DVB-T2, DVB-S2 receiver from Amazon <£40
>
> Assuming your TV has an HDMI socket then either will do, the latter also has SCART, which might save you an unnecessary upgrade.

SCART sockets on a DVB-T2/S2 box is a bit of an oxymoron as SCART will
not carry analogue HD signals.

Re: Are SD only digital boxes going to be useless soon?

<kk9eqiFq3ktU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41833&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#41833

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:50:57 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 14:50 UTC

On 18/08/2023 14:00, SH wrote:
> On 18/08/2023 13:22, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>> On Thursday, 17 August 2023 at 10:50:57 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> Yes who pays for Freesat, as if Sky carry on soon they will only be
>>> on line.
>>> Brian
>>>

>> Advertisers and / or the channels I thought, plus the TV makers pay a
>> royalty.
>>
>> BTW Basic Freeview dongle from Amazon <£30
>> Combined DVB-T2, DVB-S2 receiver from Amazon <£40
>>
>> Assuming your TV has an HDMI socket then either will do, the latter
>> also has SCART, which might save you an unnecessary upgrade.
>

> SCART sockets on a DVB-T2/S2 box is a bit of an oxymoron as SCART will
> not carry analogue HD signals.

I doubt you'll find anything these days that has Scart outputs !