There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead. -- Lord Thomas Rober Dewar

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Halesworth signal problems

SubjectAuthor
* Halesworth signal problemsDavey
`* Re: Halesworth signal problemsGraham J
 +- Re: Halesworth signal problemsDavey
 `* Re: Halesworth signal problemsDavid Wade
  +* Re: Halesworth signal problemsNY
  |+- Re: Halesworth signal problemsGraham J
  |+- Re: Halesworth signal problemsDavid Wade
  |`* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.Tgrinch
  | `* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TRupert Moss-Eccardt
  |  `* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TGraham J
  |   +* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TRoderick Stewart
  |   |`* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TChris Green
  |   | `* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TGraham J
  |   |  +* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TAbandoned_Trolley
  |   |  |`- Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TChris Green
  |   |  +- Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TChris Green
  |   |  `* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TNick Finnigan
  |   |   `* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TRoderick Stewart
  |   |    `* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TNY
  |   |     +* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TAndy Burns
  |   |     |`* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TTweed
  |   |     | `* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TAndy Burns
  |   |     |  `- Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TTweed
  |   |     `* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TBrightsideS9
  |   |      `* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TTweed
  |   |       `* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TMikeS
  |   |        `* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TDavid Wade
  |   |         `* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TTweed
  |   |          `* Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TJava Jive
  |   |           +- Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TTweed
  |   |           `- Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TAbandoned_Trolley
  |   +- Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TAndy Burns
  |   `- Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.TMark Carver
  +- Re: Halesworth signal problemsDavey
  `* Re: Halesworth signal problemsDavey
   `* Re: Halesworth signal problemsAbandoned_Trolley
    `- Re: Halesworth signal problemsDavey

Pages:12
Halesworth signal problems

<ua6526$2vsmo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5478&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5478

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Halesworth signal problems
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 18:01:58 +0100
 by: Davey - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 17:01 UTC

My friends in Halesworth, Suffolk, report that their Sky broadband has
been having big signal problems. Also, their mobiles, not Sky, are
also having major signal losses. Sky sent a replacement router, which
did no good at all, and they couldn't talk to the folks in the house,
as the mobile signal was out. Their neighbours report similar
problems on several broadband and mobile networks. It is as though
there is a huge Faraday cage plonked over the town.
A great advert for the end of POTS!

--
Davey.

Re: Halesworth signal problems

<ua68n3$3085g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5479&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5479

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: Halesworth signal problems
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 19:04:16 +0100
 by: Graham J - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 18:04 UTC

Davey wrote:
> My friends in Halesworth, Suffolk, report that their Sky broadband has
> been having big signal problems. Also, their mobiles, not Sky, are
> also having major signal losses. Sky sent a replacement router, which
> did no good at all, and they couldn't talk to the folks in the house,
> as the mobile signal was out. Their neighbours report similar
> problems on several broadband and mobile networks. It is as though
> there is a huge Faraday cage plonked over the town.
> A great advert for the end of POTS!

A Faraday cage would not affect POTS.

How long has this been going on for?

The only rational solution for a POTS replacement is FTTP - but we all
kwnow it will be VoIP over ADSL or VDSL broadband for many years to come!

And 2G/3G/4G/5G will never serve all areas or all users - partly because
it's shared spectrum, and partly because it doesn't go through walls.

--
Graham J

Re: Halesworth signal problems

<ua6n2e$3192d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5480&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5480

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 23:09:18 +0100
 by: Davey - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 22:09 UTC

On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 19:04:16 +0100
Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Davey wrote:
> > My friends in Halesworth, Suffolk, report that their Sky broadband
> > has been having big signal problems. Also, their mobiles, not Sky,
> > are also having major signal losses. Sky sent a replacement router,
> > which did no good at all, and they couldn't talk to the folks in
> > the house, as the mobile signal was out. Their neighbours report
> > similar problems on several broadband and mobile networks. It is as
> > though there is a huge Faraday cage plonked over the town.
> > A great advert for the end of POTS!
> >

> A Faraday cage would not affect POTS.

Their POTS line is not affected. Maybe it is a big Faraday cage....

> How long has this been going on for?

Their message says it started earlier in the week.

> The only rational solution for a POTS replacement is FTTP - but we
> all kwnow it will be VoIP over ADSL or VDSL broadband for many years
> to come!
>
> And 2G/3G/4G/5G will never serve all areas or all users - partly
> because it's shared spectrum, and partly because it doesn't go
> through walls.

At the moment, they can't be sure of any method of communication except
POTS. So much for the great Digital Revolution.

--
Davey.

Re: Halesworth signal problems

<ua82ua$38kvl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5481&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5481

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:38:01 +0100
 by: David Wade - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:38 UTC

On 30/07/2023 19:04, Graham J wrote:
> Davey wrote:
>> My friends in Halesworth, Suffolk, report that their Sky broadband has
>> been having big signal problems. Also, their mobiles, not Sky, are
>> also having major signal losses. Sky sent a replacement router, which
>> did no good at all, and they couldn't talk to the folks in the house,
>> as the mobile signal was out. Their neighbours report similar
>> problems on several broadband and mobile networks. It is as though
>> there is a huge Faraday cage plonked over the town.
>> A great advert for the end of POTS!
>>

> A Faraday cage would not affect POTS.
>
> How long has this been going on for?
>
> The only rational solution for a POTS replacement is FTTP - but we all
> kwnow it will be VoIP over ADSL or VDSL broadband for many years to come!

Pretty sure BT wants to roll out real fibre as fast as possible, Its
already available in parts of Halesworth..

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAHSW

> And 2G/3G/4G/5G will never serve all areas or all users - partly because
> it's shared spectrum, and partly because it doesn't go through walls.

... and partly because no one wants a mast 100 yards away from their house...

Dave

Re: Halesworth signal problems

<ua8fi9$39som$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5482&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5482

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:12:49 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:12 UTC

"David Wade" <g4ugm@dave.invalid> wrote in message
> On 30/07/2023 19:04, Graham J wrote:
>> Davey wrote:
>>> My friends in Halesworth, Suffolk, report that their Sky broadband has
>>> been having big signal problems. Also, their mobiles, not Sky, are
>>> also having major signal losses. Sky sent a replacement router, which
>>> did no good at all, and they couldn't talk to the folks in the house,
>>> as the mobile signal was out. Their neighbours report similar
>>> problems on several broadband and mobile networks. It is as though
>>> there is a huge Faraday cage plonked over the town.
>>> A great advert for the end of POTS!
>>>

>> A Faraday cage would not affect POTS.
>>
>> How long has this been going on for?
>>
>> The only rational solution for a POTS replacement is FTTP - but we all
>> kwnow it will be VoIP over ADSL or VDSL broadband for many years to come!
>>

> Pretty sure BT wants to roll out real fibre as fast as possible, Its
> already available in parts of Halesworth..
>
> https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAHSW
>

>> And 2G/3G/4G/5G will never serve all areas or all users - partly because
>> it's shared spectrum, and partly because it doesn't go through walls.
>>

> .. and partly because no one wants a mast 100 yards away from their
> house...

How easy is it to maintain a fibre connection if the cable gets damaged by
something? If a tree falls on a copper drop cable between pole and house, or
an underground cable gets damaged, the wires can be joined by a simple
screw-block junction box. Not possible with fibre. Is the aim with fibre
that only the drop cable will be replaced, with a precision splice up a
pole, or will they try to replace the whole fibre from house back to
repeater box (maybe green cabinet)?

How easy is it to locate a fault in a fibre where the break could be
anywhere over the green-cab-to-house length. Is there an equivalent of the
technique with copper that they can look for the time delay in echoes from
the source to the break?

In other words, will BTOR still be able to fix line faults as quickly as
they can with copper? Or will phone and internet generally be down for
longer once people go to FTTP?

Re: Halesworth signal problems

<ua8j51$3a8ar$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5483&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5483

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 16:14:36 +0100
 by: Graham J - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:14 UTC

NY wrote:

> How easy is it to maintain a fibre connection if the cable gets damaged
> by something? If a tree falls on a copper drop cable between pole and
> house, or an underground cable gets damaged, the wires can be joined by
> a simple screw-block junction box. Not possible with fibre. Is the aim
> with fibre that only the drop cable will be replaced, with a precision
> splice up a pole, or will they try to replace the whole fibre from house
> back to repeater box (maybe green cabinet)?

My FTTP installation - established 6 March this year - involved a
ready-made patch cable being plugged into a junction box at the top of
the pole at the boundary of my property, and another ready-match patch
cable being run from the ONT (indoors) through a hole in the wall. The
free ends of each of these cables were spliced in a square grey box
mounted on the wall of the house. Took less than an hour for the
Openreach tecnician to complete the work.

If either of these fail, it is the same straightforward job to replace
the failed length.

The junction box at the top of the pole has (I think) 8 sockets so the
fibre that feeds it must be at least 8-core. It looks about 6mm
diameter, black with a yellow stripe. This runs several hundred metres
- strung on the existing poles - to another junction box where it merges
with other similar fibre-cable runs. From there the fibre runs
underground to a more central aggregation point which may well not be
associated with any existing telephone exchange.

The existing "green cabinet" plays no part in this.

> How easy is it to locate a fault in a fibre where the break could be
> anywhere over the green-cab-to-house length. Is there an equivalent of
> the technique with copper that they can look for the time delay in
> echoes from the source to the break?

The technician who installed my fibre had a simple "light level" meter
and verified that the loss between the top of the pole and the plug to
feed the ONT was acceptable.

For faultfinding OR will use an optical time-domain reflectometer to
look for breaks or other problems.

> In other words, will BTOR still be able to fix line faults as quickly as
> they can with copper? Or will phone and internet generally be down for
> longer once people go to FTTP?

Copper (and aluminium) pairs suffer from all sorts of faults. Generally
these degrade voice transmission but not to the point of unusablilty.
But they degrade ADSL or VDSL connections for the same reasons, plus
electrical interference from the likes of electric fences. Further,
their use to carry high speed digital signals is a really clever kludge
using sophisicated processing to get performance which wasn't designed
into the system 140 years ago. So - unless you are very lucky -
internet connection reliability is crap.

By contrast, fibre optic cables are designed for the job and give a
guaranteed level of performance. They are immune to electrical
interference. Of course the fibres need to be protected from mechanical
assaults. But in general they will be much more reliable. This may of
course mean that there will be fewer techicians trained in faultfinding
and repair!

Ultimately this will be the responsibility of Openreach, so I don't
expect any sort of improvement in time to repair.

--
Graham J

Re: Halesworth signal problems

<ua8j9s$3a78g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5484&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5484

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 16:17:14 +0100
 by: Davey - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:17 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:38:01 +0100
David Wade <g4ugm@dave.invalid> wrote:

> On 30/07/2023 19:04, Graham J wrote:
> > Davey wrote:
> >> My friends in Halesworth, Suffolk, report that their Sky broadband
> >> has been having big signal problems. Also, their mobiles, not Sky,
> >> are also having major signal losses. Sky sent a replacement
> >> router, which did no good at all, and they couldn't talk to the
> >> folks in the house, as the mobile signal was out. Their neighbours
> >> report similar problems on several broadband and mobile networks.
> >> It is as though there is a huge Faraday cage plonked over the town.
> >> A great advert for the end of POTS!
> >>

> > A Faraday cage would not affect POTS.
> >
> > How long has this been going on for?
> >
> > The only rational solution for a POTS replacement is FTTP - but we
> > all kwnow it will be VoIP over ADSL or VDSL broadband for many
> > years to come!
>
> Pretty sure BT wants to roll out real fibre as fast as possible, Its
> already available in parts of Halesworth..
>
> https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAHSW
>

> > And 2G/3G/4G/5G will never serve all areas or all users - partly
> > because it's shared spectrum, and partly because it doesn't go
> > through walls.
> >

> .. and partly because no one wants a mast 100 yards away from their
> house...
>
> Dave

It is reported that there was (is?) no Vodaphone signal in much of
Halesworth this morning. It sounds maybe like a mast failure, if not
more.

--
Davey.

Re: Halesworth signal problems

<ua8ktl$3a4iv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5485&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5485

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 16:44:53 +0100
 by: David Wade - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:44 UTC

On 31/07/2023 15:12, NY wrote:
> "David Wade" <g4ugm@dave.invalid> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> A Faraday cage would not affect POTS.
>>>
>>> How long has this been going on for?
>>>
>>> The only rational solution for a POTS replacement is FTTP - but we
>>> all kwnow it will be VoIP over ADSL or VDSL broadband for many years
>>> to come!
>>>

>> Pretty sure BT wants to roll out real fibre as fast as possible, Its
>> already available in parts of Halesworth..
>>
>> https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAHSW
>>

>>> And 2G/3G/4G/5G will never serve all areas or all users - partly
>>> because it's shared spectrum, and partly because it doesn't go
>>> through walls.
>>>

>> .. and partly because no one wants a mast 100 yards away from their
>> house...
>

> How easy is it to maintain a fibre connection if the cable gets damaged
> by something? If a tree falls on a copper drop cable between pole and
> house, or an underground cable gets damaged, the wires can be joined by
> a simple screw-block junction box. Not possible with fibre. Is the aim
> with fibre that only the drop cable will be replaced, with a precision
> splice up a pole, or will they try to replace the whole fibre from house
> back to repeater box (maybe green cabinet)?

Same with Fibre. There is a junction box at the top of the pole, and
another, at ground level on the front of my house. The BT network is
entirely passive, there are no "repeaters". The fibre can be up to 20km
long.

> How easy is it to locate a fault in a fibre where the break could be
> anywhere over the green-cab-to-house length. Is there an equivalent of
> the technique with copper that they can look for the time delay in
> echoes from the source to the break?

I believe so, but the way the Network structured allows for easy diagnosis.

> In other words, will BTOR still be able to fix line faults as quickly as
> they can with copper? Or will phone and internet generally be down for
> longer once people go to FTTP?

I think so, because the network is structured for easy repair..

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/gpon-fibre-fttp-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work

<tiny url https://tinyurl.com/4h7pbh3f >

When my house in Spain when the cable was cut it was fixed the same day.

Dave

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<582367e5-1279-3c2d-1966-fbafa7e34112@sommewhere.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5486&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5486

From: grinch@sommewhere.com (grinch)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 20:56:52 +0100
 by: grinch - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 19:56 UTC

On 31/07/2023 15:12, NY wrote:
> "David Wade" <g4ugm@dave.invalid> wrote in message

> How easy is it to maintain a fibre connection if the cable gets damaged
> by something? If a tree falls on a copper drop cable between pole and
> house, or an underground cable gets damaged, the wires can be joined by
> a simple screw-block junction box. Not possible with fibre. Is the aim
> with fibre that only the drop cable will be replaced, with a precision
> splice up a pole, or will they try to replace the whole fibre from house
> back to repeater box (maybe green cabinet)?

BTOR replace drop cables copper or fibre when faulty.They always have
when I have reported them to them.

> How easy is it to locate a fault in a fibre where the break could be
> anywhere over the green-cab-to-house length. Is there an equivalent of
> the technique with copper that they can look for the time delay in
> echoes from the source to the break?

Simple you use an OTDR for fibre and a TDR for copper.

> In other words, will BTOR still be able to fix line faults as quickly as
> they can with copper? Or will phone and internet generally be down for
> longer once people go to FTTP?

From 18 years professional networking experience faults tend to be a
great deal less with fibre and fixing them is just as simple but
requires more expensive tools and training. The main fault causes with
fibre are people with diggers and spades.

Given all the advantages of fibre I can see why BTOR are keen to get rid
of copper.

I would think once they have turned off the PSTN in 2025 they will start
an aggressive plan of action to get rid of copper.

As the "local loop" there is nothing copper can do the fibre cant do
much better.Copper is a 19th century technology fibre is a 21 century
technology.Also it has no scrap metal value so not worth stealing.

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<kit3clFl61aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5490&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5490

From: nin@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2023 20:05:54 +0100
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 19:05 UTC

On 31 Jul 2023 20:56, grinch wrote:
> On 31/07/2023 15:12, NY wrote:
>> "David Wade" <g4ugm@dave.invalid> wrote in message
>

>> How easy is it to maintain a fibre connection if the cable gets damaged
>> by something? If a tree falls on a copper drop cable between pole and
>> house, or an underground cable gets damaged, the wires can be joined by
>> a simple screw-block junction box. Not possible with fibre. Is the aim
>> with fibre that only the drop cable will be replaced, with a precision
>> splice up a pole, or will they try to replace the whole fibre from house
>> back to repeater box (maybe green cabinet)?
>
> BTOR replace drop cables copper or fibre when faulty.They always have
> when I have reported them to them.
>

>> How easy is it to locate a fault in a fibre where the break could be
>> anywhere over the green-cab-to-house length. Is there an equivalent of
>> the technique with copper that they can look for the time delay in
>> echoes from the source to the break?
>
> Simple you use an OTDR for fibre and a TDR for copper.
>>
>> In other words, will BTOR still be able to fix line faults as quickly as
>> they can with copper? Or will phone and internet generally be down for
>> longer once people go to FTTP?
>
> From 18 years professional networking experience faults tend to be a
> great deal less with fibre and fixing them is just as simple but
> requires more expensive tools and training. The main fault causes with
> fibre are people with diggers and spades.
>
> Given all the advantages of fibre I can see why BTOR are keen to get rid
> of copper.
>
> I would think once they have turned off the PSTN in 2025 they will start
> an aggressive plan of action to get rid of copper.
>
> As the "local loop" there is nothing copper can do the fibre cant do
> much better.Copper is a 19th century technology fibre is a 21 century
> technology.Also it has no scrap metal value so not worth stealing.

There are a few things that you can't do with fibre.
One is having an unpowered device (i.e. not plugged into a local
supply) that, as soon as it goes off-hook, the exchange can tell and do
something about it. Think a hotline, for example.

Re: Halesworth signal problems

<uabslq$3p0uc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5491&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5491

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 22:15:38 +0100
 by: Davey - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 21:15 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:38:01 +0100
David Wade <g4ugm@dave.invalid> wrote:

> On 30/07/2023 19:04, Graham J wrote:
> > Davey wrote:
> >> My friends in Halesworth, Suffolk, report that their Sky broadband
> >> has been having big signal problems. Also, their mobiles, not Sky,
> >> are also having major signal losses. Sky sent a replacement
> >> router, which did no good at all, and they couldn't talk to the
> >> folks in the house, as the mobile signal was out. Their neighbours
> >> report similar problems on several broadband and mobile networks.
> >> It is as though there is a huge Faraday cage plonked over the town.
> >> A great advert for the end of POTS!
> >>

> > A Faraday cage would not affect POTS.
> >
> > How long has this been going on for?
> >
> > The only rational solution for a POTS replacement is FTTP - but we
> > all kwnow it will be VoIP over ADSL or VDSL broadband for many
> > years to come!
>
> Pretty sure BT wants to roll out real fibre as fast as possible, Its
> already available in parts of Halesworth..
>
> https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAHSW
>

> > And 2G/3G/4G/5G will never serve all areas or all users - partly
> > because it's shared spectrum, and partly because it doesn't go
> > through walls.
> >

> .. and partly because no one wants a mast 100 yards away from their
> house...
>
> Dave

I have another theory. It is that the Russians, or Chinese, or both,
are using Halesworth to try out their cyber chaos plans for the UK's
infrastructure.

--
Davey.

Re: Halesworth signal problems

<uabtn5$3p4ni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5492&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5492

From: fred@fredsmith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 22:33:24 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 21:33 UTC

> I have another theory. It is that the Russians, or Chinese, or both,
> are using Halesworth to try out their cyber chaos plans for the UK's
> infrastructure.

do you think they will be turning all the road signs around the wrong
way too ?

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Halesworth signal problems

<uac4pm$3p0uc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5494&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5494

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 00:34:14 +0100
 by: Davey - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 23:34 UTC

On Tue, 1 Aug 2023 22:33:24 +0100
Abandoned_Trolley <fred@fredsmith.co.uk> wrote:

> > I have another theory. It is that the Russians, or Chinese, or both,
> > are using Halesworth to try out their cyber chaos plans for the UK's
> > infrastructure.
> >

> do you think they will be turning all the road signs around the wrong
> way too ?

Only if they have remote directional control. Some in the area are
already facing the wrong way anyway, so we won't know!

--
Davey.

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<uacvr5$3vpf0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5495&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5495

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:15:39 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 07:15 UTC

Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:

[snip]

> There are a few things that you can't do with fibre.
> One is having an unpowered device (i.e. not plugged into a local
> supply) that, as soon as it goes off-hook, the exchange can tell and do
> something about it. Think a hotline, for example.

I suspect that when an ONT loses power the kit at the exchange end knows
this, and could flag up a fault indication. This could be useful
information if communicated to the electricity supply people.

While not the same as the householder being able to ring for help during
a power failure, it would allow for automated fault reporting and repair.

For granny living on her own who has a "panic alarm" that alarm still
needs electrical power, so an ONT and router run from a UPS (or with
internal battery backup) would meet her safety needs.

Given that a mobile phone contains a battery, I can't see why a router
or ONT should not also contain a battery.

--
Graham J

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<k92kci13khjd5aiborg6tgm8n8080k075a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5496&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5496

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 08:49:08 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 07:49 UTC

On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:15:39 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
wrote:

>Given that a mobile phone contains a battery, I can't see why a router
>or ONT should not also contain a battery.

You can get a low voltage UPS for exactly this purpose. Search for
'UPS' on Amazon and you'll see a few to choose from.

Rod.

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<nbgppj-5urn2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5498&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5498

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:22:47 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:22 UTC

Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:15:39 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >Given that a mobile phone contains a battery, I can't see why a router
> >or ONT should not also contain a battery.
>
> You can get a low voltage UPS for exactly this purpose. Search for
> 'UPS' on Amazon and you'll see a few to choose from.

However people notice when their mobile battery needs recharging
and/or replacement. A router or ONT is likely to be neglected until
the power actually fails at which point it's a bit late to discover
that the UPS battery is dead.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<kiujjfFsak4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5499&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5499

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:48:48 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:48 UTC

Graham J wrote:

> Given that a mobile phone contains a battery, I can't see why a router
> or ONT should not also contain a battery.

Many routers have a supercapacitor to allow then to send a "dying gasp"
message to the other end.

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<uad75t$fun$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5500&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5500

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 10:20:51 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:20 UTC

Chris Green wrote:
> Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:15:39 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Given that a mobile phone contains a battery, I can't see why a router
>>> or ONT should not also contain a battery.
>>
>> You can get a low voltage UPS for exactly this purpose. Search for
>> 'UPS' on Amazon and you'll see a few to choose from.
>>
> However people notice when their mobile battery needs recharging
> and/or replacement. A router or ONT is likely to be neglected until
> the power actually fails at which point it's a bit late to discover
> that the UPS battery is dead.

A UPS generally tests its battery regularly - perhaps daily - and
reports when is performance has dropped below a set standard. I imagine
the test takes the maximum rated current for a few seconds and measures
the internal impedance of the battery.

This feature could be built into a router or ONT.

Of course, some of the storms we've had in the UK have cut power for up
to 10 days, and a UPS won't cope with that on its own. But then,
neither will the 48v battery in the telephone exchange, or whatever is
used to power a mobile base-station - as we saw.

--
Graham J

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<uad8cg$huj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5502&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5502

From: fred@fredsmith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 10:41:35 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:41 UTC

> A UPS generally tests its battery regularly - perhaps daily - and
> reports when is performance has dropped below a set standard.  I imagine
> the test takes the maximum rated current for a few seconds and measures
> the internal impedance of the battery.

Thats one way of putting it ... although I think it just places a
calibrated test load across the battery terminals, waits for a short
period and then measures the voltage to see how far it has collapsed.

"Smart" battery chargers do something similar

I guess it all amounts to the same thing

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<pemppj-0b7o2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5503&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5503

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 11:06:49 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 10:06 UTC

Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
> > Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> >> You can get a low voltage UPS for exactly this purpose. Search for
> >> 'UPS' on Amazon and you'll see a few to choose from.
> >>
> > However people notice when their mobile battery needs recharging
> > and/or replacement. A router or ONT is likely to be neglected until
> > the power actually fails at which point it's a bit late to discover
> > that the UPS battery is dead.
>
> A UPS generally tests its battery regularly - perhaps daily - and
> reports when is performance has dropped below a set standard. I imagine
> the test takes the maximum rated current for a few seconds and measures
> the internal impedance of the battery.

Reports to where? That's the problem. I guess it could sound a very
load alarm if it thinks the battery is failing.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<jgmppj-0b7o2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5504&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5504

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 11:07:47 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 10:07 UTC

Abandoned_Trolley <fred@fredsmith.co.uk> wrote:

> > A UPS generally tests its battery regularly - perhaps daily - and
> > reports when is performance has dropped below a set standard.  I imagine
> > the test takes the maximum rated current for a few seconds and measures
> > the internal impedance of the battery.
> >

> Thats one way of putting it ... although I think it just places a
> calibrated test load across the battery terminals, waits for a short
> period and then measures the voltage to see how far it has collapsed.
>
> "Smart" battery chargers do something similar
>
> I guess it all amounts to the same thing

.... and none of it helps unless someone monitors the result of the
test.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<uadjdb$2lfi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5506&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5506

From: nix@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:49:47 +0100
 by: Nick Finnigan - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 12:49 UTC

On 02/08/2023 10:20, Graham J wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
>> Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> You can get a low voltage UPS for exactly this purpose. Search for
>>> 'UPS' on Amazon and you'll see a few to choose from.
>>>
>> However people notice when their mobile battery needs recharging
>> and/or replacement.  A router or ONT is likely to be neglected until
>> the power actually fails at which point it's a bit late to discover
>> that the UPS battery is dead.
>
> A UPS generally tests its battery regularly - perhaps daily - and reports
> when is performance has dropped below a set standard.

A cheap UPS from Amazon may not do that. DAMHIK.

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<mupmcitncdsdecq5g9euj2eaathho79a3e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5512&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5512

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 09:42:52 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 08:42 UTC

On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:49:47 +0100, Nick Finnigan <nix@genie.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 02/08/2023 10:20, Graham J wrote:
>> Chris Green wrote:

>>> However people notice when their mobile battery needs recharging
>>> and/or replacement.  A router or ONT is likely to be neglected until
>>> the power actually fails at which point it's a bit late to discover
>>> that the UPS battery is dead.
>>
>> A UPS generally tests its battery regularly - perhaps daily - and reports
>> when is performance has dropped below a set standard.
>
> A cheap UPS from Amazon may not do that. DAMHIK.

True. If you buy technology that doesn't include any intelligence, you
will have to use your own.

Just like people used to do before the clever stuff was invented.

Rod.

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<uag4si$omft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5513&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5513

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 12:59:41 +0100
References: <ua6526$2vsmo$1@dont-email.me> <ua68n3$3085g$1@dont-email.me> <ua82ua$38kvl$1@dont-email.me> <ua8fi9$39som$1@dont-email.me> <582367e5-1279-3c2d-1966-fbafa7e34112@sommewhere.com> <kit3clFl61aU1@mid.individual.net> <uacvr5$3vpf0$1@dont-email.me> <k92kci13khjd5aiborg6tgm8n8080k075a@4ax.com> <nbgppj-5urn2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu> <uad75t$fun$1@dont-email.me> <uadjdb$2lfi$1@dont-email.me> <mupmcitncdsdecq5g9euj2eaathho79a3e@4ax.com>
 by: NY - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 11:59 UTC

"Roderick Stewart" <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:49:47 +0100, Nick Finnigan <nix@genie.co.uk>
> wrote:

>>> A UPS generally tests its battery regularly - perhaps daily - and
>>> reports
>>> when is performance has dropped below a set standard.
>>
>> A cheap UPS from Amazon may not do that. DAMHIK.
>
> True. If you buy technology that doesn't include any intelligence, you
> will have to use your own.
>
> Just like people used to do before the clever stuff was invented.

It's a shame that USB batteries (like 3000 mAhr one that I have) turn off
their output power as soon as a mains-to-USB power supply is plugged in, so
you can't use those as a UPS. Of course, it depends whether the battery
would be damaged by being left permanently on charge...

Re: Halesworth signal problems /S.O.T

<kj1o1mFdb01U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5514&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5514

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 14:23:03 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 13:23 UTC

NY wrote:

> It's a shame that USB batteries (like 3000 mAhr one that I have) turn
> off their output power as soon as a mains-to-USB power supply is plugged
> in, so you can't use those as a UPS.

This sort of thing should run a router ...

<https://www.eaton.com/ke/en-gb/skuPage.3SM36B.specifications.html>