There is no grief which time does not lessen and soften.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Re: Duct size for fibre (Update)

SubjectAuthor
* Duct size for fibreTim+
+- Re: Duct size for fibreAbandoned_Trolley
+* Re: Duct size for fibreMark Carver
|+- Re: Duct size for fibreTweed
|`* Re: Duct size for fibreTim+
| +* Re: Duct size for fibreAndy Burns
| |`* Re: Duct size for fibreTheo
| | +- Re: Duct size for fibreAndy Burns
| | +* Re: Duct size for fibreTheo
| | |`- Re: Duct size for fibrePeter Johnson
| | `* Re: Duct size for fibreTim+
| |  +* Re: Duct size for fibreJeff Layman
| |  |+* Re: Duct size for fibreTim+
| |  ||+* Re: Duct size for fibreJeff Layman
| |  |||`- Re: Duct size for fibreTim+
| |  ||`* Re: Duct size for fibreBrightsideS9
| |  || `* Re: Duct size for fibreTim+
| |  ||  `* Re: Duct size for fibreRupert Moss-Eccardt
| |  ||   `- Re: Duct size for fibreTim+
| |  |`- Re: Duct size for fibreJava Jive
| |  +* Re: Duct size for fibreAndy Burns
| |  |`* Re: Duct size for fibreTim+
| |  | `* Re: Duct size for fibreAndy Burns
| |  |  `- Re: Duct size for fibreTim+
| |  `* Re: Duct size for fibreTheo
| |   +- Re: Duct size for fibreTim+
| |   `* Re: Duct size for fibreTim+
| |    `* Re: Duct size for fibreAndy Burns
| |     +- Re: Duct size for fibreTim+
| |     `- Re: Duct size for fibreTim+
| `- Re: Duct size for fibreNick Finnigan
+- Re: Duct size for fibreAndy Burns
+- Re: Duct size for fibrenotya...@gmail.com
`- Re: Duct size for fibre (Update)Tim+

Pages:12
Re: Duct size for fibre

<6vf*ncLnz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5576&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5576

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: Duct size for fibre
Date: 13 Aug 2023 21:51:02 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 20:51 UTC

Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here’s the problem.
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/ehr8Lr1L7hKXg52r7
>
> Need to get from the access hatch to the yellow screwdriver. Alas the
> tarmac is all part of the public pavement but I think I’ll risk cutting out
> a fillet along the front of the drive and then drilling underground near
> the gatepost. I’ll put some conduit in and reinstate the tarmac somehow.

For that I'd be tempted to uncover the foundations of the wall the other
side of the gatepost. Then CF can drill through, and run along the fillet
of tarmac that's previously been dug up. They obviously can do tarmac works
since they installed the toby in the first place.

(it's hard to tell from the pic, but which of the fillet and the slice at
the bottom left was them? Does the pavement conduit run parallel to the
houses, or are you a spur that comes in from the road on the left?)

Theo

Re: Duct size for fibre

<1521374793.713684125.389796.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5577&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5577

From: tim.downie@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 14 Aug 2023 05:42:50 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 05:42 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here’s the problem.
>>
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/ehr8Lr1L7hKXg52r7
>>
>> Need to get from the access hatch to the yellow screwdriver. Alas the
>> tarmac is all part of the public pavement but I think I’ll risk cutting out
>> a fillet along the front of the drive and then drilling underground near
>> the gatepost. I’ll put some conduit in and reinstate the tarmac somehow.
>
> For that I'd be tempted to uncover the foundations of the wall the other
> side of the gatepost. Then CF can drill through, and run along the fillet
> of tarmac that's previously been dug up. They obviously can do tarmac works
> since they installed the toby in the first place.

They can, but I suspect that once the toby is installed by the street
cablers, that team bugger off and leave the “house connectors” to do their
bit. The house connectors can’t move a toby or do tarmac.

Now this is just supposition but it’s the only explanation I can think of
for their refusal to move the toby.

> (it's hard to tell from the pic, but which of the fillet and the slice at
> the bottom left was them? Does the pavement conduit run parallel to the
> houses, or are you a spur that comes in from the road on the left?)

The street fibre just runs parallel along the pavement with T junctions to
every toby.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Duct size for fibre

<1805844769.713721881.800609.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5578&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5578

From: tim.downie@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 14 Aug 2023 16:05:53 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 16:05 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here’s the problem.
>>
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/ehr8Lr1L7hKXg52r7
>>
>> Need to get from the access hatch to the yellow screwdriver. Alas the
>> tarmac is all part of the public pavement but I think I’ll risk cutting out
>> a fillet along the front of the drive and then drilling underground near
>> the gatepost. I’ll put some conduit in and reinstate the tarmac somehow.
>
> For that I'd be tempted to uncover the foundations of the wall the other
> side of the gatepost. Then CF can drill through, and run along the fillet
> of tarmac that's previously been dug up. They obviously can do tarmac works
> since they installed the toby in the first place.
>
> (it's hard to tell from the pic, but which of the fillet and the slice at
> the bottom left was them? Does the pavement conduit run parallel to the
> houses, or are you a spur that comes in from the road on the left?)
>
> Theo

Fingers crossed this passes muster for the fibre installers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xi24Nujp9k2xMBEe7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MHUDyp1Ct5B6V7Uz8

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Duct size for fibre

<kjv4u7F6du6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5579&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5579

From: nin@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 18:00:55 +0100
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 17:00 UTC

On 13 Aug 2023 08:44:05 GMT, Tim+ wrote:
> BrightsideS9 <reply_to_address_is_not@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> I’ll use that argument if any busybody argues. ;-)

>>> Not sure yet. Depends on how stony it is. May just try a vibrating
>>> multi-tool and a lot of sacrificial blades. Maybe just chisel it.

>>> I was going to rake out the existing tarmac, pop it in an oven dish, warm
>>> it up and see if I can re-use it.
>>>
>> For £10 you can get more than enough cold lay tarmac from Wickes, B&Q
>> (or Amazon if you are eligible for free delivery and want to pay
>> double the price from Wickes and B&Q), to fix your chiselling and do a
>> decent job.
>>

> Cold lay stuff never looks the same. I'm hoping that reusing the old stuff
> will look better.

Depending on the age of the binder etc, you might find you are going to
fill your kitchen with carcinogens

Re: Duct size for fibre

<446649532.713727160.193304.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5580&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5580

From: tim.downie@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 14 Aug 2023 17:35:37 GMT
<kjv4u7F6du6U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 17:35 UTC

Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:
> On 13 Aug 2023 08:44:05 GMT, Tim+ wrote:
>> BrightsideS9 <reply_to_address_is_not@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> For £10 you can get more than enough cold lay tarmac from Wickes, B&Q
>>> (or Amazon if you are eligible for free delivery and want to pay
>>> double the price from Wickes and B&Q), to fix your chiselling and do a
>>> decent job.
>>>

>> Cold lay stuff never looks the same. I'm hoping that reusing the old stuff
>> will look better.
>>

> Depending on the age of the binder etc, you might find you are going to
> fill your kitchen with carcinogens

20 minutes at 160C and there wasn’t even a discernible smell. Enough to
make the tarmac more malleable though.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Duct size for fibre

<kjva20F76qrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5581&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5581

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 19:28:17 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 18:28 UTC

Tim+ wrote:

> Fingers crossed this passes muster for the fibre installers.
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/xi24Nujp9k2xMBEe7

If you get a picky one, they might moan about bend-radius for the fibre?

Re: Duct size for fibre

<1383338059.713731349.109406.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5582&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5582

From: tim.downie@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 14 Aug 2023 18:52:36 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 18:52 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Tim+ wrote:
>
>> Fingers crossed this passes muster for the fibre installers.
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/xi24Nujp9k2xMBEe7
>
> If you get a picky one, they might moan about bend-radius for the fibre?

I did wonder about that and tried to maximise it in the corner by the
gatepost by undermining the drive slightly. Do you know what the
recommended minimum radius is? Anything’s got to be better than their poor
Virgin service. They seem to be in an area where Virgin have given up
trying to provide a reliable service.

They plan to move to Zen.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Duct size for fibre

<1750886023.713877409.743254.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5590&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5590

From: tim.downie@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 16 Aug 2023 11:19:48 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 11:19 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Tim+ wrote:
>
>> Fingers crossed this passes muster for the fibre installers.
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/xi24Nujp9k2xMBEe7
>
> If you get a picky one, they might moan about bend-radius for the fibre?

Good news! Son-in-law applied for fibre internet and Cityfibre came round
as the property had been “red flagged” after their last visit. Initially
repeated their “we can’t do this” until my duct and pull through rope was
pointed out. They’ve now agreed that it’s an “easy job”.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Duct size for fibre (Update)

<1284258338.714514157.820876.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5642&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5642

From: tim.downie@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: Duct size for fibre (Update)
Date: 23 Aug 2023 22:19:25 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 22:19 UTC

Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:

> I mentioned before that my daughter is having trouble getting fibre to
> their house because they had a resin bonded driveway done shortly after
> Cityfibre had been along and put their access “toby” in the pavement
> outside their house. It seems that this is a barrier to putting a duct in
> that ISPs and City fibre don’t feel motivated to do anything about.
>

> I’m tempted to attempt a bit of oblique drilling beneath the drive from the
> toby to reach a nearby flower bed where I can dig down to where the drill
> would emerge. Obviously I’d need to put in something to feed the fibre
> through so I’m wondering about suitable ducting. Would garden hosepipe
> suffice or would I need something bigger? Would fibre installers balk at a
> “non-standard” bit of ducting?

Following the visit by the “duct fairy” the installation of the FTTP was a
breeze for the fitters and my daughter has a spanking new 300 Mbps
connection with Zen.

All’s well that ends well. Only fly in the ointment is that because their
fibre is provided by CityFibre it is a lot cheaper than that provided by
OpenReach (my fibre connector). :-(

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls