"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific." -- Jane Wagner

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Re: EU user replaceable phone batteries

SubjectAuthor
* EU user replaceable phone batteriesPamela
+* Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesChris
|`* Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesWoody
| +* Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesScott
| |+* Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesJava Jive
| ||`* Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesScott
| || +* Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesJava Jive
| || `* Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesTheo
| ||  `* Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesJava Jive
| ||   `- Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesMark Carver
| |+* Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesMark Carver
| ||+* Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesAbandoned Trolley
| ||+- Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesAndy Burns
| ||`- Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesOttavio Caruso
| |`* Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesChris in Makati
| | `* Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesScott
| |  `- Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesChris in Makati
| +- Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesPamela
| +- Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesDavid Woolley
| `- Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesChris
`* Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesOttavio Caruso
 `- Re: EU user replaceable phone batteriesAbandoned Trolley

Pages:12
Re: EU user replaceable phone batteries

<urpdqm$ds38$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6081&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6081

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: EU user replaceable phone batteries
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:04:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9LNhjPMc5zggwcoorKcB3g7SUio=
 by: Chris - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:04 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed 28/02/2024 07:36, Chris wrote:
>> Pamela <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Has the UK enacted any regulation of its own to implement the coming EU
>>> replaceable battery directive for phones?
>>
>> Lol no. Not under this government. Maybe under the next but they've got a
>> lot damage to fix first.
>>

> Question: how many mobile phones do we manufacture in this country?
> Zero? So legislation will not be needed here if the EU imposes
> regulations as phones made for the EU are likely the same phones that we
> have here - and <they> will come with a replacement facility built-in.

Yes that's true now, but we may diverge in years to come.

> The problem is that if you can replace batteries the useful life of a
> phone will dramatically increase, so I would suggest you are likely to
> see more and more software that is OS dependent and thus become obsolete
> (and the phone with it) in many cases long before the battery needs to
> be changed.

Not if phones get fragile again. I remember the days of when you dropped
your phone it broke into three parts.

Re: EU user replaceable phone batteries

<vft5bk-mlvj1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6082&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6082

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:57:03 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:57 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

> It’s easy to have different stock keeping units (sku) for each country and
> to pop the correct chargers in the box. It makes less sense to manufacture
> lots of different handset versions unless there are strong reasons for
> doing so.

Most often they have a common 'wall wart' power supply with different
adapters attached (more or less permananently) for the different
countries' power sockets.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: EU user replaceable phone batteries

<l4avt2F91qhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6083&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6083

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:08:49 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:08 UTC

On 29/02/2024 08:57, Chris Green wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It’s easy to have different stock keeping units (sku) for each country and
>> to pop the correct chargers in the box. It makes less sense to manufacture
>> lots of different handset versions unless there are strong reasons for
>> doing so.
>>
> Most often they have a common 'wall wart' power supply with different
> adapters attached (more or less permananently) for the different
> countries' power sockets.

I bought a phone in the UAE about 20 years ago. Despite the country (and
some other Gulf states) using good old UK BS1363 sockets, it came with a
'Euro' charger.

Re: EU user replaceable phone batteries

<vgl0uit4q22o37vif9krrjndt34002ba25@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6084&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6084

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:07:35 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:07 UTC

On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 21:40:33 +0000, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On 28/02/2024 20:33, Scott wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 19:45:52 +0000, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> No, this point had already been raised by you as another straw man
>>> earlier in that same thread, as in the following exchange

>>> But leads with different plugs at the wall end to match different
>>> countries' electrical supplies usually have the *SAME* connector at the
>>> appliance end!
>>
>> Once again, I think you have misunderstood my point and gone off at a
>> tangent. I was referring to the continued need to provide variants for
>> the EU and UK/ROI markets (as was the practice when chargers were
>> included). Nothing to do with connecting the phone to the charger.
>
>No, your memory is conveniently forgetful, but I have the thread history
>here in the form of all my replies to you, and therefore know that, just
>as in this thread, you were arguing against someone who had bothered to
>do some research from a position of having done zilch, raising
>irrelevant straw men that didn't even apply to the point at issue, which
>was that the EU compelling the use of USB-C connectors within its
>borders would at last make Apple introduce them worldwide, because
>nothing else would make economic sense for them, and this was proved to
>be true the following week when, as had been widely predicted by
>everyone except you and one or two others, the latest model of iPhone
>was finally unveiled and indeed had a USB-C connector.
>
>One might have hoped that your being shown to be wrong so conclusively
>in that thread might subsequently have taught you the advisability of
>researching your replies, but sadly your answer to Woody in this one
>showed that you have learnt nothing, and simply peddled more irrelevant
>straw men exactly as you had before, inevitably the suspicion being
>raised again that this was because some find it impossible to judge
>rationally *anything* involving the EU. Be that as it may, Woody's
>argument remains entirely valid, that the EU compelling replaceable
>batteries within its borders most probably will ensure that in time we
>in the UK and everyone in the wider world will have replaceable
>batteries also, because it won't make economic sense for manufacturers
>to make two base models of each phone, one with replaceable batteries,
>one without.

>>> Search engines are there to be used.
>>
>> And discussion groups are there for discussion. There is no obligation
>> upon you to participate in any particular thread.
>
>However, if you want to participate in a discussion and not make a fool
>of yourself by repeating your own previous mistakes, it pays to do some
>prior research, but sadly this is something you have still to learn.

I only asked if - apart from the supplied charger (if any) - EU phones
are the same specification as UK/ROI. I concede I should have asked Mr
Google first. BTW, I have nothing against the EU, having taken part in
the 'People's Vote'.

Re: EU user replaceable phone batteries

<urpl4g$fbde$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6085&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6085

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:09:20 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:09 UTC

On 29/02/2024 07:40, Tweed wrote:

> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> On 28/02/2024 20:33, Scott wrote:
>>
>> However, if you want to participate in a discussion and not make a fool
>> of yourself by repeating your own previous mistakes, it pays to do some
>> prior research, but sadly this is something you have still to learn.
>
> I think you are being unduly harsh. I think it’s entirely appropriate to
> discuss whether or not the upcoming EU regulations will impact the UK. You
> may have your view, but others may differ.

As do I, but genuine discussion moves forward, it doesn't endlessly go
over the same ground as was covered less than six months ago just
because the same people mindlessly regurgitate the same urban myths and
bigotries that have already shown to be false.

However, I accept that I've dwelt too long on this already, partly
because Scott kept making unfounded replies causing what was originally
meant to be just a single comment to become something of an overkill
tirade, for which I apologise to others. I will stop here.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: EU user replaceable phone batteries

<vJYDN.1410365$Lo1.131139@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6086&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6086

From: bill.stickers@innocent.com (William Stickers)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:09:32 -0000
 by: William Stickers - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:09 UTC

Tweed wrote:

> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
> > On 28/02/2024 20:33, Scott wrote:

> >> Once again, I think you have misunderstood my point and gone off at a
> >> tangent. I was referring to the continued need to provide variants for
> >> the EU and UK/ROI markets (as was the practice when chargers were
> >> included). Nothing to do with connecting the phone to the charger.
> >
> > No, your memory is conveniently forgetful, but I have the thread history
> > here in the form of all my replies to you, and therefore know that, just
> > as in this thread, you were arguing against someone who had bothered to
> > do some research from a position of having done zilch, raising
> > irrelevant straw men that didn't even apply to the point at issue, which
> > was that the EU compelling the use of USB-C connectors within its
> > borders would at last make Apple introduce them worldwide, because
> > nothing else would make economic sense for them, and this was proved to
> > be true the following week when, as had been widely predicted by
> > everyone except you and one or two others, the latest model of iPhone
> > was finally unveiled and indeed had a USB-C connector.
> >
> > One might have hoped that your being shown to be wrong so conclusively
> > in that thread might subsequently have taught you the advisability of
> > researching your replies, but sadly your answer to Woody in this one
> > showed that you have learnt nothing, and simply peddled more irrelevant
> > straw men exactly as you had before, inevitably the suspicion being
> > raised again that this was because some find it impossible to judge
> > rationally *anything* involving the EU. Be that as it may, Woody's
> > argument remains entirely valid, that the EU compelling replaceable
> > batteries within its borders most probably will ensure that in time we
> > in the UK and everyone in the wider world will have replaceable
> > batteries also, because it won't make economic sense for manufacturers
> > to make two base models of each phone, one with replaceable batteries,
> > one without.

> >> And discussion groups are there for discussion. There is no obligation
> >> upon you to participate in any particular thread.
> >
> > However, if you want to participate in a discussion and not make a fool
> > of yourself by repeating your own previous mistakes, it pays to do some
> > prior research, but sadly this is something you have still to learn.
> >

> I think you are being unduly harsh. I think it?s entirely appropriate to
> discuss whether or not the upcoming EU regulations will impact the UK. You
> may have your view, but others may differ.

Well said.

Re: EU user replaceable phone batteries

<q4n0ui995ear700suv90mbrqdpopo3doki@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6087&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6087

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:30:18 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:30 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:09:20 +0000, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On 29/02/2024 07:40, Tweed wrote:
>>
>> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 28/02/2024 20:33, Scott wrote:
>>>
>>> However, if you want to participate in a discussion and not make a fool
>>> of yourself by repeating your own previous mistakes, it pays to do some
>>> prior research, but sadly this is something you have still to learn.
>>
>> I think you are being unduly harsh. I think it’s entirely appropriate to
>> discuss whether or not the upcoming EU regulations will impact the UK. You
>> may have your view, but others may differ.
>
>As do I, but genuine discussion moves forward, it doesn't endlessly go
>over the same ground as was covered less than six months ago just
>because the same people mindlessly regurgitate the same urban myths and
>bigotries that have already shown to be false.
>
>However, I accept that I've dwelt too long on this already, partly
>because Scott kept making unfounded replies causing what was originally
>meant to be just a single comment to become something of an overkill
>tirade, for which I apologise to others. I will stop here.

As will I.

Re: EU user replaceable phone batteries

<hip0uipacj06atjsqae1eo7bbqtd7pvoku@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6088&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6088

From: mail@nospam.com (Chris in Makati)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:13:51 +0000
 by: Chris in Makati - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:13 UTC

On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:25:34 +0000, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 08:35:49 +0000, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
>wrote:

>>> Lol no. Not under this government. Maybe under the next but they've got a
>>> lot damage to fix first.
>>>

>>Question: how many mobile phones do we manufacture in this country?
>>Zero? So legislation will not be needed here if the EU imposes
>>regulations as phones made for the EU are likely the same phones that we
>>have here - and <they> will come with a replacement facility built-in.
>
>Is it now the case that new phones come without chargers?

The iPhone SE that I bought in August last year came with a cable, but
no charger. I have no need for yet another charger so I'm quite happy
I didn't get one.

Re: EU user replaceable phone batteries

<cjq0ui9ba5vhk9cck8b9dl19v6djnm8vbf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6089&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6089

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:30:35 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:30 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:13:51 +0000, Chris in Makati <mail@nospam.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:25:34 +0000, Scott
><newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 08:35:49 +0000, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Question: how many mobile phones do we manufacture in this country?
>>>Zero? So legislation will not be needed here if the EU imposes
>>>regulations as phones made for the EU are likely the same phones that we
>>>have here - and <they> will come with a replacement facility built-in.
>>
>>Is it now the case that new phones come without chargers?
>
>The iPhone SE that I bought in August last year came with a cable, but
>no charger. I have no need for yet another charger so I'm quite happy
>I didn't get one.

Bizarrely, I got the same with a new shaver. I suppose it makes sense
to plug it into an existing USB charger rather than carry a charger
for the shaver (unless you want to use it in the bathroom, I suppose).

Re: EU user replaceable phone batteries

<hcc3uiltbl43dg3i2eisi8pao05oqtgfk7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6114&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6114

From: mail@nospam.com (Chris in Makati)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 10:46:58 +0000
 by: Chris in Makati - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:46 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:30:35 +0000, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:13:51 +0000, Chris in Makati <mail@nospam.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:25:34 +0000, Scott
>><newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Is it now the case that new phones come without chargers?
>>
>>The iPhone SE that I bought in August last year came with a cable, but
>>no charger. I have no need for yet another charger so I'm quite happy
>>I didn't get one.
>
>Bizarrely, I got the same with a new shaver. I suppose it makes sense
>to plug it into an existing USB charger rather than carry a charger
>for the shaver (unless you want to use it in the bathroom, I suppose).

Now that so many devices I own charge from USB, all I need is one or
two decent quality USB chargers. I have one that I can take with me
when I travel and it does for everything.