There's an old proverb that says just about whatever you want it to.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / PSTN to Digital - timescales

SubjectAuthor
* PSTN to Digital - timescalesjgwi...@gmail.com
+- Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesnotya...@gmail.com
+* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesChris Green
|`* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesMark Carver
| `- Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesChris Green
+* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesTheo
|+* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesAndy Burns
||+- Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesMark Carver
||`* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesGraham J
|| `* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesDavid Wade
||  `* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesGraham J
||   +* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesDavid Wade
||   |`* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesAndy Burns
||   | `- Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesDavid Wade
||   `* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesMark Carver
||    `* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesGraham J
||     +- Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesnotya...@gmail.com
||     `- Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesWoody
|`- Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesRoger
`* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesNY
 `* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesTweed
  `* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesGraham J
   +* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesDavid Wade
   |`* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesjgwi...@gmail.com
   | `- Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesDavid Wade
   `* Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesNY
    +- Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesnotya...@gmail.com
    `- Re: PSTN to Digital - timescalesWoody

Pages:12
PSTN to Digital - timescales

<1a4644ce-3a7f-4ac2-9734-b77ad4232d2fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6237&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6237

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 01:26:25 -0800 (PST)
Subject: PSTN to Digital - timescales
From: jgwinster@gmail.com (jgwi...@gmail.com)
 by: jgwi...@gmail.com - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:26 UTC

Can I check with the sages on this group whether my understanding of the timing of the digital changeover is correct?

a) All of the UK is due to have copper PSTN lines converted to digital working by December 2025.

b) After that point, exchanges that are not handover points will become redundant and will presumably be disposed of

c) As of September 2023, Openreach have not been accepting new orders for PSTN, so anyone moving home has to accept a digital circuit, whatever ISP they choose (even if they are in an "At Risk" group, eg no mobile signal, and even if their ISP is ignoring Ofcom guidelines and failing to offer a "solution" to the 999 problem such as battery backup)

d) Between now and December 2025, it is up to individual ISPs to decide their changeover programme for existing PSTN customers. So BT may change over their easy-to-convert PSTN customers on an exchange in late 2023, but are OK to delay "At Risk" customers on that exchange until 2025 if they wish. And other ISPs might choose to wait to convert customers on the same exchange until late 2025.

e) There is no requirement on when an ISP starts changing existing customers from PSTN to digital - the only constraint on how fast they plan the changover is how many customer service staff they have to handle queries and problems. So an ISP could do nothing to change people over until mid-2025 if they thought they could handle the rush over the remaining six months.

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<b1b41359-ccfd-4e59-b105-5bf847f7746en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6239&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6239

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 03:36:44 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 11:36 UTC

On Monday, 27 November 2023 at 09:26:26 UTC, jgwi...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can I check with the sages on this group whether my understanding of the timing of the digital changeover is correct?
>
> a) All of the UK is due to have copper PSTN lines converted to digital working by December 2025.

In principle

> b) After that point, exchanges that are not handover points will become redundant and will presumably be disposed of

Probably.
> c) As of September 2023, Openreach have not been accepting new orders for PSTN, so anyone moving home has to accept a digital circuit, whatever ISP they choose (even if they are in an "At Risk" group, eg no mobile signal, and even if their ISP is ignoring Ofcom guidelines and failing to offer a "solution" to the 999 problem such as battery backup)

AIUI
> d) Between now and December 2025, it is up to individual ISPs to decide their changeover programme for existing PSTN customers. So BT may change over their easy-to-convert PSTN customers on an exchange in late 2023, but are OK to delay "At Risk" customers on that exchange until 2025 if they wish. And other ISPs might choose to wait to convert customers on the same exchange until late 2025.

Dunno.
> e) There is no requirement on when an ISP starts changing existing customers from PSTN to digital - the only constraint on how fast they plan the changover is how many customer service staff they have to handle queries and problems. So an ISP could do nothing to change people over until mid-2025 if they thought they could handle the rush over the remaining six months.

Only service providers using BT Wholesale / Openreach will need to do this. SP's with their own infrastructure (e.g. Virgin) can do what they like.

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<s2ce3k-7pdf3.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6240&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6240

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 11:45:00 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 11:45 UTC

jgwi...@gmail.com <jgwinster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I check with the sages on this group whether my understanding of the
> timing of the digital changeover is correct?
>
> a) All of the UK is due to have copper PSTN lines converted to digital working by December 2025.
>
> b) After that point, exchanges that are not handover points will become
> redundant and will presumably be disposed of
>
> c) As of September 2023, Openreach have not been accepting new orders for
> PSTN, so anyone moving home has to accept a digital circuit, whatever ISP
> they choose (even if they are in an "At Risk" group, eg no mobile signal,
> and even if their ISP is ignoring Ofcom guidelines and failing to offer
> a "solution" to the 999 problem such as battery backup)
>
> d) Between now and December 2025, it is up to individual ISPs to decide
> their changeover programme for existing PSTN customers. So BT may change
> over their easy-to-convert PSTN customers on an exchange in late 2023,
> but are OK to delay "At Risk" customers on that exchange until 2025 if
> they wish. And other ISPs might choose to wait to convert customers on
> the same exchange until late 2025.
>
> e) There is no requirement on when an ISP starts changing existing customers
> from PSTN to digital - the only constraint on how fast they plan the changover
> is how many customer service staff they have to handle queries and problems.
> So an ISP could do nothing to change people over until mid-2025 if they
> thought they could handle the rush over the remaining six months.

How does the above actually work when one is on FTTC? We have two
lines, both PlusNet at the moment, both FTTC, one is used by an 'at
risk' customer (my M-I-L).

Currently both lines have POTS actually provided by DECT phones though
we do have a 'real' POTS phone on one for when we have the occasional
(not all that uncommon) power outage.

We've not had any sort of communication from PlusNet about the coming
changes.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<ksjfb9Ftt4jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6242&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6242

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 12:11:21 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 12:11 UTC

On 27/11/2023 11:45, Chris Green wrote:
> jgwi...@gmail.com <jgwinster@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can I check with the sages on this group whether my understanding of the
>> timing of the digital changeover is correct?
>>
>> a) All of the UK is due to have copper PSTN lines converted to digital working by December 2025.
>>
>> b) After that point, exchanges that are not handover points will become
>> redundant and will presumably be disposed of
>>
>> c) As of September 2023, Openreach have not been accepting new orders for
>> PSTN, so anyone moving home has to accept a digital circuit, whatever ISP
>> they choose (even if they are in an "At Risk" group, eg no mobile signal,
>> and even if their ISP is ignoring Ofcom guidelines and failing to offer
>> a "solution" to the 999 problem such as battery backup)
>>
>> d) Between now and December 2025, it is up to individual ISPs to decide
>> their changeover programme for existing PSTN customers. So BT may change
>> over their easy-to-convert PSTN customers on an exchange in late 2023,
>> but are OK to delay "At Risk" customers on that exchange until 2025 if
>> they wish. And other ISPs might choose to wait to convert customers on
>> the same exchange until late 2025.
>>
>> e) There is no requirement on when an ISP starts changing existing customers
>> from PSTN to digital - the only constraint on how fast they plan the changover
>> is how many customer service staff they have to handle queries and problems.
>> So an ISP could do nothing to change people over until mid-2025 if they
>> thought they could handle the rush over the remaining six months.
>
> How does the above actually work when one is on FTTC? We have two
> lines, both PlusNet at the moment, both FTTC, one is used by an 'at
> risk' customer (my M-I-L).
>
> Currently both lines have POTS actually provided by DECT phones though
> we do have a 'real' POTS phone on one for when we have the occasional
> (not all that uncommon) power outage.
>
> We've not had any sort of communication from PlusNet about the coming
> changes.

When do the contracts expire ? My understanding is you remain on
PSTN/POTs until you initiate a change (notably by starting a new
contract) . If you change ISP, then that ISP (if they provide one) will
give you a DV service. You cannot now be provided with a 'fresh' PSTN
service (not since Sept 5th 2023).

However, I'm sure no ISP that offers Digital Voice/VoIP will wait until
Dec 31st 2025 to migrate their remaining punters to those services.

In PlusNet's case it's simpler. They have (or will have) no DV/VoIP
product, so it is possible if you don't renew your contract, (which
would be expensive of course) your PSTN service will run until Dec 2025,
and then be switched off.

No one other than the grown ups at Plusnet can answer that question

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<3ig*Wsswz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6243&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6243

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 27 Nov 2023 12:59:47 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 12:59 UTC

jgwi...@gmail.com <jgwinster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I check with the sages on this group whether my understanding of the
> timing of the digital changeover is correct?
>
> a) All of the UK is due to have copper PSTN lines converted to digital
> working by December 2025.

'digital' here meaning ISP-provided VOIP.

> b) After that point, exchanges that are not handover points will become
> redundant and will presumably be disposed of

Unless there are any remaining ADSL lines which can't get FTTC. I imagine
OR will install fibre cabinets in the street to house the ADSL DSLAMs, so
they can move their gear out of the exchange.

> c) As of September 2023, Openreach have not been accepting new orders for
> PSTN, so anyone moving home has to accept a digital circuit, whatever ISP
> they choose (even if they are in an "At Risk" group, eg no mobile signal,
> and even if their ISP is ignoring Ofcom guidelines and failing to offer a
> "solution" to the 999 problem such as battery backup)

That's unclear - it seems like it is still possible to order analogue
circuits, on an exceptional basis. How exceptions are made I don't know,
but I'd guess you have to ring up the provider and ask. BT are talking
about a method where they put a VOIP ATA in the cabinet so the line itself
remains analogue, and presumably such lines will migrate to that in due
course. Not clear on the battery backup situation for that.

> d) Between now and December 2025, it is up to individual ISPs to decide
> their changeover programme for existing PSTN customers. So BT may change
> over their easy-to-convert PSTN customers on an exchange in late 2023, but
> are OK to delay "At Risk" customers on that exchange until 2025 if they
> wish. And other ISPs might choose to wait to convert customers on the
> same exchange until late 2025.

Presumably. Or customers are forced to change at re-contract time (eg don't
allow them to continue xDSL+PSTN service where FTTC+VOIP is available).
It's not clear what happens to customers who stay on an old contract for
years, but presumably they can be moved as started to be happening to people
in mid-contract.

> e) There is no requirement on when an ISP starts changing existing
> customers from PSTN to digital - the only constraint on how fast they plan
> the changover is how many customer service staff they have to handle
> queries and problems. So an ISP could do nothing to change people over
> until mid-2025 if they thought they could handle the rush over the
> remaining six months.

Since this is entirely within the ISP's world, that's up to them. In other
words, doing this transition doesn't require Openreach to send a van out,
it's just a routing change in the ISP's phone network (although ADSL->FTTC
conversions would).

Note that switching the phone calls to VOIP doesn't immediately change
anything at the Openreach end - it just means the line no longer has a
number on it. Once none of the lines have numbers on them, then OR can
decommission the exchange and the copper wires from there to the cabinet -
but that timescale is up to them. It doesn't mean the exchanges will become
vacant on 1st Jan 2026, it means OR can piecemeal shut things down whenever
they like after that date.

Theo

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<ksjj31FuedkU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6244&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6244

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 13:15:09 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 13:15 UTC

Theo wrote:

> BT are talking about a method where they put a VOIP ATA in the
> cabinet so the line itself remains analogue

Over the weekend, I spoke to a friend who's worked for BT since leaving
school after 'O' levels. He thinks in a similar way that they put extra
cabinets outside the exchange gates to allow FTTC on EO lines, they'll
put more cabinets outside of exchanges to accommodate the retained
analogue lines.

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<ksjl0dFtt4kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6246&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6246

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 13:47:57 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 13:47 UTC

On 27/11/2023 13:15, Andy Burns wrote:
> Theo wrote:
>
>> BT are talking about a method where they put a VOIP ATA in the
>> cabinet so the line itself remains analogue
>
> Over the weekend, I spoke to a friend who's worked for BT since leaving
> school after 'O' levels.  He thinks in a similar way that they put extra
> cabinets outside the exchange gates to allow FTTC on EO lines, they'll
> put more cabinets outside of exchanges to accommodate the retained
> analogue lines.

Interesting, and logical.

Presumably once you have broken your 'xDSL virginity' that exists on
your copper line (as most of us did 20 years ago) you can't go a model
of solo PSTN using the above scheme ?

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<2kpe3k-lrq.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6247&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6247

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:36:02 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:36 UTC

Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 27/11/2023 11:45, Chris Green wrote:
> > jgwi...@gmail.com <jgwinster@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Can I check with the sages on this group whether my understanding of the
> >> timing of the digital changeover is correct?
> >>
> >> a) All of the UK is due to have copper PSTN lines converted to digital
> working by December 2025.
> >>
> >> b) After that point, exchanges that are not handover points will become
> >> redundant and will presumably be disposed of
> >>
> >> c) As of September 2023, Openreach have not been accepting new orders for
> >> PSTN, so anyone moving home has to accept a digital circuit, whatever ISP
> >> they choose (even if they are in an "At Risk" group, eg no mobile signal,
> >> and even if their ISP is ignoring Ofcom guidelines and failing to offer
> >> a "solution" to the 999 problem such as battery backup)
> >>
> >> d) Between now and December 2025, it is up to individual ISPs to decide
> >> their changeover programme for existing PSTN customers. So BT may change
> >> over their easy-to-convert PSTN customers on an exchange in late 2023,
> >> but are OK to delay "At Risk" customers on that exchange until 2025 if
> >> they wish. And other ISPs might choose to wait to convert customers on
> >> the same exchange until late 2025.
> >>
> >> e) There is no requirement on when an ISP starts changing existing customers
> >> from PSTN to digital - the only constraint on how fast they plan the changover
> >> is how many customer service staff they have to handle queries and problems.
> >> So an ISP could do nothing to change people over until mid-2025 if they
> >> thought they could handle the rush over the remaining six months.
> >
> > How does the above actually work when one is on FTTC? We have two
> > lines, both PlusNet at the moment, both FTTC, one is used by an 'at
> > risk' customer (my M-I-L).
> >
> > Currently both lines have POTS actually provided by DECT phones though
> > we do have a 'real' POTS phone on one for when we have the occasional
> > (not all that uncommon) power outage.
> >
> > We've not had any sort of communication from PlusNet about the coming
> > changes.
> >

> When do the contracts expire ? My understanding is you remain on

I don't think they do! :-) One of the lines is definitely out of
contract now.

> PSTN/POTs until you initiate a change (notably by starting a new
> contract) . If you change ISP, then that ISP (if they provide one) will
> give you a DV service. You cannot now be provided with a 'fresh' PSTN
> service (not since Sept 5th 2023).
>
> However, I'm sure no ISP that offers Digital Voice/VoIP will wait until
> Dec 31st 2025 to migrate their remaining punters to those services.
>
> In PlusNet's case it's simpler. They have (or will have) no DV/VoIP
> product, so it is possible if you don't renew your contract, (which
> would be expensive of course) your PSTN service will run until Dec 2025,
> and then be switched off.
>
> No one other than the grown ups at Plusnet can answer that question

--
Chris Green
·

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<j8t9mi53qgbho5qa8b5gg7p9s9dffh7utk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6248&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6248

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Roger)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 20:02:23 +0000
 by: Roger - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 20:02 UTC

On 27 Nov 2023 12:59:47 +0000 (GMT), Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> BT are talking
>about a method where they put a VOIP ATA in the cabinet so the line itself
>remains analogue, and presumably such lines will migrate to that in due
>course. Not clear on the battery backup situation for that.

I presume that you are referring to SOTAP for Analogue which,
IIUC, will be available only for existing copper lines.
--
Roger

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<uk2uqa$3tmj1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6249&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6249

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 20:39:27 +0000
 by: Graham J - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 20:39 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> Theo wrote:
>
>> BT are talking about a method where they put a VOIP ATA in the
>> cabinet so the line itself remains analogue
>
> Over the weekend, I spoke to a friend who's worked for BT since leaving
> school after 'O' levels.  He thinks in a similar way that they put extra
> cabinets outside the exchange gates to allow FTTC on EO lines, they'll
> put more cabinets outside of exchanges to accommodate the retained
> analogue lines.

My friend lives in an extremely rural area only about 100 miles north of
London. He has an analog phone line, but the copper pair is too long to
support any sort of DSL. There is no green cabinet anywhere between him
and the exchange.

He reports: "We have had extended talks with both Openreach and BT. As a
result we have been assured that there was no chance of connection to
any digital pathway but that our copper line would remain available even
after the general cut off date."

One wonders how this will be achieved, particularly if there is a fault
and there are no analog-trained engineers available to fix the problem.

--
Graham J

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<uk49gb$72ia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6250&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6250

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 08:48:09 +0000
 by: David Wade - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 08:48 UTC

On 27/11/2023 20:39, Graham J wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>> Theo wrote:
>>
>>> BT are talking about a method where they put a VOIP ATA in the
>>> cabinet so the line itself remains analogue
>>
>> Over the weekend, I spoke to a friend who's worked for BT since
>> leaving school after 'O' levels.  He thinks in a similar way that they
>> put extra cabinets outside the exchange gates to allow FTTC on EO
>> lines, they'll put more cabinets outside of exchanges to accommodate
>> the retained analogue lines.
>
> My friend lives in an extremely rural area only about 100 miles north of
> London.  He has an analog phone line, but the copper pair is too long to
> support any sort of DSL.  There is no green cabinet anywhere between him
> and the exchange.

DSL is basically as "end-of-life" as the copper it runs on.

> He reports: "We have had extended talks with both Openreach and BT. As a
> result we have been assured that there was no chance of connection to
> any digital pathway but that our copper line would remain available even
> after the general cut off date."
>
> One wonders how this will be achieved, particularly if there is a fault
> and there are no analog-trained engineers available to fix the problem.

I suspect he will get Fibre eventually or be told to use 4G or 5G if
available. OpenReach say they can deliver FTTP up to 98km away from the
exchange...

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/a-look-at-openreachs-compact-fttp-broadband-ont-and-mini-olt.html

or

https://tinyurl.com/58zmkpaj

so I wonder how that squares with "no chance of digital"...
.... very odd...

Dave

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<uk4a8q$79oo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6251&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6251

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 09:01:01 +0000
 by: Graham J - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 09:01 UTC

David Wade wrote:
> On 27/11/2023 20:39, Graham J wrote:
>> Andy Burns wrote:

>>> Over the weekend, I spoke to a friend who's worked for BT since
>>> leaving school after 'O' levels.  He thinks in a similar way that
>>> they put extra cabinets outside the exchange gates to allow FTTC on
>>> EO lines, they'll put more cabinets outside of exchanges to
>>> accommodate the retained analogue lines.
>>
>> My friend lives in an extremely rural area only about 100 miles north
>> of London.  He has an analog phone line, but the copper pair is too
>> long to support any sort of DSL.  There is no green cabinet anywhere
>> between him and the exchange.
>>

> DSL is basically as "end-of-life" as the copper it runs on.
>

>> He reports: "We have had extended talks with both Openreach and BT. As
>> a result we have been assured that there was no chance of connection
>> to any digital pathway but that our copper line would remain available
>> even after the general cut off date."
>>
>> One wonders how this will be achieved, particularly if there is a
>> fault and there are no analog-trained engineers available to fix the
>> problem.
>>

> I suspect he will get Fibre eventually or be told to use 4G or 5G if
> available. OpenReach say they can deliver FTTP up to 98km away from the
> exchange...
>
> https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/a-look-at-openreachs-compact-fttp-broadband-ont-and-mini-olt.html
>

> or
>
> https://tinyurl.com/58zmkpaj
>
> so I wonder how that squares with "no chance of digital"...
> ... very odd...

It's not the capability of 98km which is relevant - it is the cost of
installing the fibre itself. It may is about 10km from my friend's
property to the nearest existing optical fibre, and he has been quoted
£1,030,689.70 for for a fibre connection.

He does get a weak 4G connection - but only if he hangs out of an
upstairs window.

--
Graham J

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<uk5eb8$ci08$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6262&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6262

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:16:55 +0000
 by: David Wade - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:16 UTC

On 28/11/2023 09:01, Graham J wrote:
> David Wade wrote:

>>> My friend lives in an extremely rural area only about 100 miles north
>>> of London.  He has an analog phone line, but the copper pair is too
>>> long to support any sort of DSL.  There is no green cabinet anywhere
>>> between him and the exchange.
>>>

>> DSL is basically as "end-of-life" as the copper it runs on.
>>

>>> He reports: "We have had extended talks with both Openreach and BT.
>>> As a result we have been assured that there was no chance of
>>> connection to any digital pathway but that our copper line would
>>> remain available even after the general cut off date."
>>>
>>> One wonders how this will be achieved, particularly if there is a
>>> fault and there are no analog-trained engineers available to fix the
>>> problem.
>>>

>> I suspect he will get Fibre eventually or be told to use 4G or 5G if
>> available. OpenReach say they can deliver FTTP up to 98km away from
>> the exchange...
>>
>> https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/a-look-at-openreachs-compact-fttp-broadband-ont-and-mini-olt.html
>>
>> or
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/58zmkpaj
>>
>> so I wonder how that squares with "no chance of digital"...
>> ... very odd...
>
> It's not the capability of 98km which is relevant - it is the cost of
> installing the fibre itself.  It may is about 10km from my friend's
> property to the nearest existing optical fibre, and he has been quoted
> £1,030,689.70 for for a fibre connection.

That seems excessive. I wonder how many remote farms will be in the same
position. I suppose Starlink and Oneweb offer some sort of service, if
expensive....

> He does get a weak 4G connection - but only if he hangs out of an
> upstairs window.

I guess an external antenna then, or nanocel...

Dave

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<ksmt6rFqv9qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6263&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6263

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:26:18 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:26 UTC

David Wade wrote:

> Graham J wrote:
>
>> He does get a weak 4G connection - but only if he hangs out of an
>> upstairs window.
>
> I guess an external antenna then, or nanocel...

Bzzzzt!

a femtocell needs some form of broadband connection

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<uk5hqn$dm39$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6265&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6265

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:16:22 +0000
 by: David Wade - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:16 UTC

On 28/11/2023 19:26, Andy Burns wrote:

> David Wade wrote:
>
>> Graham J wrote:
>>> He does get a weak 4G connection - but only if he hangs out of an
>>> upstairs window.
>>
>> I guess an external antenna then, or nanocel...
>
> Bzzzzt!
>
> a femtocell needs some form of broadband connection

OFCOMM now permits repeaters for this purpose...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/using-a-repeater-to-improve-indoor-mobile-phone-signal

& for example

https://signalboosters.co.uk/products/cel-fi-go-g41-bundle-for-businesses?variant=42454830711000

<you will have to glue the URLs>

but at £1.3k more affordable than a fibre connection

Dave

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<6nOdnYwX2fAlLvr4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6271&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6271

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:57:12 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:57 UTC

On 27/11/2023 09:26, jgwi...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can I check with the sages on this group whether my understanding of the timing of the digital changeover is correct?
>
> a) All of the UK is due to have copper PSTN lines converted to digital working by December 2025.
>
> b) After that point, exchanges that are not handover points will become redundant and will presumably be disposed of
>
> c) As of September 2023, Openreach have not been accepting new orders for PSTN, so anyone moving home has to accept a digital circuit, whatever ISP they choose (even if they are in an "At Risk" group, eg no mobile signal, and even if their ISP is ignoring Ofcom guidelines and failing to offer a "solution" to the 999 problem such as battery backup)
>
> d) Between now and December 2025, it is up to individual ISPs to decide their changeover programme for existing PSTN customers. So BT may change over their easy-to-convert PSTN customers on an exchange in late 2023, but are OK to delay "At Risk" customers on that exchange until 2025 if they wish. And other ISPs might choose to wait to convert customers on the same exchange until late 2025.
>
> e) There is no requirement on when an ISP starts changing existing customers from PSTN to digital - the only constraint on how fast they plan the changover is how many customer service staff they have to handle queries and problems. So an ISP could do nothing to change people over until mid-2025 if they thought they could handle the rush over the remaining six months.

Is the plan to get rid of copper altogether, or get get rid of analogue
voice over copper?

In other words, will some people retain copper for their ADSL/VDSL
internet connection, but with phone calls now going over that copper as
VOIP rather than analogue?

Or is the intention to give every single house its own fibre by 2025? If
so, that will be one hell of a task with only two years remaining...

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<uk9a4n$18pga$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6272&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6272

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 06:29:43 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3WiASE1c1pFEXQVEHu+Vj+Bq0qE=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 06:29 UTC

NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 27/11/2023 09:26, jgwi...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Can I check with the sages on this group whether my understanding of the
>> timing of the digital changeover is correct?
>>
>> a) All of the UK is due to have copper PSTN lines converted to digital
>> working by December 2025.
>>
>> b) After that point, exchanges that are not handover points will become
>> redundant and will presumably be disposed of
>>
>> c) As of September 2023, Openreach have not been accepting new orders
>> for PSTN, so anyone moving home has to accept a digital circuit,
>> whatever ISP they choose (even if they are in an "At Risk" group, eg no
>> mobile signal, and even if their ISP is ignoring Ofcom guidelines and
>> failing to offer a "solution" to the 999 problem such as battery backup)
>>
>> d) Between now and December 2025, it is up to individual ISPs to decide
>> their changeover programme for existing PSTN customers. So BT may change
>> over their easy-to-convert PSTN customers on an exchange in late 2023,
>> but are OK to delay "At Risk" customers on that exchange until 2025 if
>> they wish. And other ISPs might choose to wait to convert customers on
>> the same exchange until late 2025.
>>
>> e) There is no requirement on when an ISP starts changing existing
>> customers from PSTN to digital - the only constraint on how fast they
>> plan the changover is how many customer service staff they have to
>> handle queries and problems. So an ISP could do nothing to change people
>> over until mid-2025 if they thought they could handle the rush over the
>> remaining six months.
>

> Is the plan to get rid of copper altogether, or get get rid of analogue
> voice over copper?
>
> In other words, will some people retain copper for their ADSL/VDSL
> internet connection, but with phone calls now going over that copper as
> VOIP rather than analogue?
>
> Or is the intention to give every single house its own fibre by 2025? If
> so, that will be one hell of a task with only two years remaining...

This:

will some people retain copper for their ADSL/VDSL internet connection, but
with phone calls now going over that copper as VOIP rather than analogue

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<uk9hem$19rs5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6273&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6273

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 08:34:11 +0000
 by: Graham J - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 08:34 UTC

Tweed wrote:

[snip]

> some people will retain copper for their ADSL/VDSL internet connection, but
> with phone calls now going over that copper as VOIP rather than analogue

But where the existing copper pair is too long to support ADSL/VDSL it
appears that phone calls will be carried as analogue over that copper
pair - indefinitely!

See my earlier post reporting a friend's circumstances:

"
We have had extended talks with both Openreach and BT. As a result we
have been assured that there was no chance of connection to any digital
pathway but that our copper line would remain available even after the
general cut off date.
"

--
Graham J

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<uk9l36$1a1tq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6274&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6274

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:36:38 +0000
 by: David Wade - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:36 UTC

On 30/11/2023 08:34, Graham J wrote:
> Tweed wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> some people will retain copper for their ADSL/VDSL internet
>> connection, but
>> with phone calls now going over that copper as VOIP rather than analogue
>>

> But where the existing copper pair is too long to support ADSL/VDSL it
> appears that phone calls will be carried as analogue over that copper
> pair - indefinitely!
>
> See my earlier post reporting a friend's circumstances:
>
> "
> We have had extended talks with both Openreach and BT. As a result we
> have been assured that there was no chance of connection to any digital
> pathway but that our copper line would remain available even after the
> general cut off date.
> "
>
> Does he have this in writing? The final cut-off date isn't until 2030 so
seven years hence. Will the people who gave him those assurances still
be in-place.

Dave

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<fdqcnXzoWPL-x_X4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6275&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6275

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:48:18 +0000
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
 by: NY - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:48 UTC

On 30/11/2023 08:34, Graham J wrote:
> Tweed wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> some people will retain copper for their ADSL/VDSL internet
>> connection, but
>> with phone calls now going over that copper as VOIP rather than analogue
>>

> But where the existing copper pair is too long to support ADSL/VDSL it
> appears that phone calls will be carried as analogue over that copper
> pair - indefinitely!
>
> See my earlier post reporting a friend's circumstances:
>
> "
> We have had extended talks with both Openreach and BT. As a result we
> have been assured that there was no chance of connection to any digital
> pathway but that our copper line would remain available even after the
> general cut off date.
> "

I wonder whether the copper lines will be improved for those people who
are a long way from the exchange (and hence get ADSL but at a very slow
speed) or who are in such small communities that a "green cabinet" for
shorter copper lines is uneconomic.

My parents have a cottage in a tiny hamlet in Wensleydale. Their phone
line goes right back to the exchange in Leyburn - about 5 miles - so the
broadband speed is dire. There is a cluster of cabinets, plastered with
adverts for BTOR fibre, which is about a mile away, and it's always
surprised me that the lines from the village have never been rerouted to
it, to give xDSL over a shorter length of copper.

Will there be any incentive to upgrade those lines, or will they just be
neglected?

I wonder how many properties have to be in a locality for BTOR to
install a fibre which then branches to serve the properties.

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<e28449d8-8e48-4b81-9b51-a0343baf028dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6277&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6277

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 03:38:42 -0800 (PST)
From: jgwinster@gmail.com (jgwi...@gmail.com)
 by: jgwi...@gmail.com - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:38 UTC

On Thursday, 30 November 2023 at 09:36:42 UTC, David Wade wrote:

> ... The final cut-off date isn't until 2030

Have I missed something here? I thought that end 2025 was the final deadline for the end of PSTN?

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<23db5ea2-2ed9-425a-8f1a-2abdf146c9a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6279&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6279

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 04:27:25 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:27 UTC

On Thursday, 30 November 2023 at 10:21:09 UTC, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
> > My parents have a cottage in a tiny hamlet in Wensleydale. Their
> > phone line goes right back to the exchange in Leyburn - about 5
> > miles - so the broadband speed is dire. There is a cluster of
> > cabinets, plastered with adverts for BTOR fibre, which is about a
> > mile away
> Absolutely possible. ADSL is currently terminated at a DSLAM in the exchange,
> even if there are recent fibre VDSL cabinets, because it's 20 years old.
>
> Once the exchange closes, Openreach can instead provide ADSL and perhaps voice
> over copper from the nearest fibre cabinet, if the distance for VDSL is too far.
> But the ADSL speeds will be much better due to the reduced copper distance.

Indeed, until 2009 my ADSL came from an exchange about 2km away (as a cable layer walks) and I got 13Mbps, then BT[O] installed fibre and cabinets and I now get just over 50Mbps.

Expect to get offered digital line from the cabinets about a mile away, and maybe 50Mbps+ on GFast

> Virgin Media has provided voice over copper from all it's fibre cabinets for 30
> years, albeit with older technology.

Coax cable here.

> Angus

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<uka3q0$1ccn1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6280&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6280

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:47:44 +0000
 by: David Wade - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:47 UTC

On 30/11/2023 11:38, jgwi...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 November 2023 at 09:36:42 UTC, David Wade wrote:
>
>> ... The final cut-off date isn't until 2030
>
> Have I missed something here? I thought that end 2025 was the final deadline for the end of PSTN?

It is, 2030 is the target to remove all copper...

from the Register:-

https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/26/bt_begins_big_switchover_ahead/

We asked what this meant, and the company told us that customers without
access to broadband, will be offered a "Pre Digital Landline" service,
where equipment will be installed in the local telephone exchange
allowing them to continue to use their old phone line as before.

This will be available from late 2024 and is designed to provide
"interim connectivity" until sometime around 2030, when customers will
be required to move over to Digital Voice or an alternative. So
refuseniks have until then to decide what they want to do.

.... note the phrase "allowing them to continue" so you only get this as
a replacement for an existing line, you can't order it for a new service...

Dave

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<ukad9u$1e543$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6281&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6281

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:29:49 +0000
 by: Woody - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:29 UTC

On Thu 30/11/2023 09:48, NY wrote:
> On 30/11/2023 08:34, Graham J wrote:
>> Tweed wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>>> some people will retain copper for their ADSL/VDSL internet
>>> connection, but
>>> with phone calls now going over that copper as VOIP rather than analogue
>>>

>> But where the existing copper pair is too long to support ADSL/VDSL it
>> appears that phone calls will be carried as analogue over that copper
>> pair - indefinitely!
>>
>> See my earlier post reporting a friend's circumstances:
>>
>> "
>> We have had extended talks with both Openreach and BT. As a result we
>> have been assured that there was no chance of connection to any
>> digital pathway but that our copper line would remain available even
>> after the general cut off date.
>> "
>
> I wonder whether the copper lines will be improved for those people who
> are a long way from the exchange (and hence get ADSL but at a very slow
> speed) or who are in such small communities that a "green cabinet" for
> shorter copper lines is uneconomic.
>
> My parents have a cottage in a tiny hamlet in Wensleydale. Their phone
> line goes right back to the exchange in Leyburn - about 5 miles - so the
> broadband speed is dire. There is a cluster of cabinets, plastered with
> adverts for BTOR fibre, which is about a mile away, and it's always
> surprised me that the lines from the village have never been rerouted to
> it, to give xDSL over a shorter length of copper.
>
> Will there be any incentive to upgrade those lines, or will they just be
> neglected?
>
> I wonder how many properties have to be in a locality for BTOR to
> install a fibre which then branches to serve the properties.

Coverage of most of Wensleydale is not bad - especially when you get up
Bainbridge way and in range of what was the TV mast (OK pole) which is
now a formal tower - so why not put them on a mi-fi connection? If they
can see the midget tower they should be able to pull north of 40Mb on
4G, so long as you choose the right provider of which I would recommend
GiffGaff (runs on O2.)

Re: PSTN to Digital - timescales

<kstncbFu334U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6283&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6283

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 09:29:41 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 09:29 UTC

On 28/11/2023 09:01, Graham J wrote:

> It's not the capability of 98km which is relevant - it is the cost of
> installing the fibre itself.  It may is about 10km from my friend's
> property to the nearest existing optical fibre, and he has been quoted
> £1,030,689.70 for for a fibre connection.
>
> He does get a weak 4G connection - but only if he hangs out of an
> upstairs window.

He may have to wake up and smell the coffee very soon then.

I suspect by the end of this decade he'll discover Royal Mail won't be
delivering to his house. The idea of universal utility provision to all
died with the 20th Century.

Does he have mains water BTW ?