Bowie's Theorem: If an experiment works, you must be using the wrong equipment.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Broadband Renewal

SubjectAuthor
* Broadband RenewalJeff Gaines
+* Re: Broadband RenewalAndy Burns

Pages:12
Broadband Renewal

<xn0oa3w4u4cl6x700g@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6294&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6294

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Broadband Renewal
Date: 2 Dec 2023 13:59:28 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:59 UTC

My contract with PlusNet expires in early January and although they have
offered to renew it (WITH a phone line) they seem keen for me to transfer
to a new package with no phone line and hall my current speed.

Are there people here who have given up their landline? If so how do you
get on without it? Mobile is OK round here, especially with WiFi calling,
so it's tempting to give up the line but I wondered if it might lead to
any practical issues?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they

Re: Broadband Renewal

<kt0snoFsp87U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6295&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6295

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: Broadband Renewal
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:19:36 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:19 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Are there people here who have given up their landline?

Not yet, see my reply elsewhere.

> If so how do you
> get on without it? Mobile is OK round here, especially with WiFi
> calling, so it's tempting to give up the line but I wondered if it might
> lead to any practical issues?

I think when the time comes, the choice will be between paying roughly
double to keep existing broadband+phone past my 18 month minimum
contract, or renew broadband only on a similar deal and pay an extra
£3/month to transfer the phone number to my existing voipfone account.

Re: Broadband Renewal

<ukfh0f$2da7i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6296&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6296

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:03:43 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:vLv8NlFDcjFwXQDHWAS6s0Qvkas=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:03 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>> Are there people here who have given up their landline?
>
> Not yet, see my reply elsewhere.
>
>> If so how do you
>> get on without it? Mobile is OK round here, especially with WiFi
>> calling, so it's tempting to give up the line but I wondered if it might
>> lead to any practical issues?
>
> I think when the time comes, the choice will be between paying roughly
> double to keep existing broadband+phone past my 18 month minimum
> contract, or renew broadband only on a similar deal and pay an extra
> £3/month to transfer the phone number to my existing voipfone account.

I ported my landline number to Andrews and Arnold. Costs £1.44 per month.
You can either buy a voip DECT phone (or similar) or simply let incoming
calls go to voicemail. These get emailed to you as WAV attachments. That
way you can mop up the odd important inbound call. But otherwise all our
phone business is conducted using mobile phones. I’ve found no practical
issue not using a landline. My two adult offspring have never had a
landline number.

Re: Broadband Renewal

<ukfhsd$2deuf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6297&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6297

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:18:35 +0000
 by: Woody - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:18 UTC

On Sat 02/12/2023 15:03, Tweed wrote:
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>>> Are there people here who have given up their landline?
>>
>> Not yet, see my reply elsewhere.
>>
>>> If so how do you
>>> get on without it? Mobile is OK round here, especially with WiFi
>>> calling, so it's tempting to give up the line but I wondered if it might
>>> lead to any practical issues?
>>
>> I think when the time comes, the choice will be between paying roughly
>> double to keep existing broadband+phone past my 18 month minimum
>> contract, or renew broadband only on a similar deal and pay an extra
>> £3/month to transfer the phone number to my existing voipfone account.
>>

> I ported my landline number to Andrews and Arnold. Costs £1.44 per month.
> You can either buy a voip DECT phone (or similar) or simply let incoming
> calls go to voicemail. These get emailed to you as WAV attachments. That
> way you can mop up the odd important inbound call. But otherwise all our
> phone business is conducted using mobile phones. I’ve found no practical
> issue not using a landline. My two adult offspring have never had a
> landline number.

The downside of having no landline is that (if you are married) everyone
has to have two numbers for you, one for you and one for SWMBO. A
landline can be answered by anyone with or without a common answering
machine/voicemail.
A VoIP line has two advantages. As mentioned the provider will usually
forward any voicemail as an email with attachment of the voicemail
message. Also you can have a suitable app on your phone so that when
someone rings your (ex) landline number it can be answered by either of
you as both phones will ring or one answer your domestic phone at home.

Also bear in mind that not everyone likes or can easily use a smartphone
- they just do not work for some people. My wife intently dislikes
touchscreen smartphones and she is a smart and educated (formerly)
professional woman. She has a Doro 612 clamshell phone which she takes
everywhere - albeit she usually only turns it on when she needs to make
or is expecting an incoming call! It has the advantage - like a Nokia
6310i - of a battery that lasts at least a week if it is switched on or
the sharp end of 6 months if it is switched off. Plus the font is big
enough to read without getting her glasses out!

Re: Broadband Renewal

<kt10vsFsp86U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6298&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6298

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:32:12 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:32 UTC

Woody wrote:

> The downside of having no landline is that (if you are married) everyone
> has to have two numbers for you, one for you and one for SWMBO. A
> landline can be answered by anyone with or without a common answering
> machine/voicemail.

Well, you *could* achieve a single number without a landline (by using a
VoIP app on all mobiles, and either have all mobiles with data-only SIMs
or never give out the mobile numbers) but I don't see that's there's
much to recommend that as an approach?

Re: Broadband Renewal

<kt1552Fu3ouU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6299&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6299

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 16:43:12 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 16:43 UTC

On 02/12/2023 13:59, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> My contract with PlusNet expires in early January and although they have
> offered to renew it (WITH a phone line)

That's interesting. What contract length were they offering for that ?
because PSTN will presumably be switched off (by Openreach) on Dec 31 2025 ?

I was expecting PlusNet to remove PSTN at contract renewal, but it seems
not !?

Re: Broadband Renewal

<kt1673Fu3ouU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6300&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6300

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:01:21 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:01 UTC

On 02/12/2023 15:18, Woody wrote:

> A VoIP line has two advantages.

Having dabbled with VoIP, one observation I've made was a couple of
weeks ago I had to call 111.

Doing so in VoIP (at least via Sipgate) I was asked for my 'London
Borough or nearest Tube Station' (I live in Hampshire) in order to
forward the call to the appropriate NHS office etc..

I gave up straight away, and used my mobile. On there 111 sent an SMS
link to allow access to my GPS receiver (Dunno what happens if you have
a dumb phone ?)

On a proper landline, last time a used 111 it bypassed all that crap,
and put me straight into the 35 minute queue for an NHS box ticker to
patronise me.

Presumably the same hoops with 999

Re: Broadband Renewal

<kt16d8F2ldU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6301&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6301

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:04:39 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:04 UTC

Mark Carver wrote:

> I was expecting PlusNet to remove PSTN at contract renewal, but it seems
> not !?

That's what their website says to me, I can stick with existing contract
which will get v.expensive from august and keep phone, or I can take a
new contract without phone for slightly more.

Also looked at EE, they seem to be not offering phone with their
broadband either ...

"You won't be able to get your home phone number back.
You'll have to get a brand new number if you decide you
need a home phone in the future."

That seems to go against the option somebody (Theo?) mentioned here to
take your number to a different provider for up to 30 days?

Re: Broadband Renewal

<kt1788Fu3ouU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6302&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6302

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:19:02 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:19 UTC

On 02/12/2023 17:04, Andy Burns wrote:
> Mark Carver wrote:
>
>> I was expecting PlusNet to remove PSTN at contract renewal, but it
>> seems not !?
>
> That's what their website says to me, I can stick with existing contract
> which will get v.expensive from august and keep phone, or I can take a
> new contract without phone for slightly more.
>
> Also looked at EE, they seem to be not offering phone with their
> broadband either ...
>
>     "You won't be able to get your home phone number back.
>     You'll have to get a brand new number if you decide you
>     need a home phone in the future."
>
> That seems to go against the option somebody (Theo?) mentioned here to
> take your number to a different provider for up to 30 days?

Last time I dabbled with EE's website it gave a choice of keeping your
existing number, or having a new one issued ?

I thought if you are moving supplier within the 'EE-BT-PN' family, your
number comes with you, without a struggle ?

There's other weirdness. If you move to Sky, from a 'BT' family
supplier, you generally keep your number. If you move house with Sky,
you lose your number, Our son moved 400 yds up the road, and his Sky DV
number changed. (FTTP at old and new house).

I need to find an easy way to migrate my mother away from Plusnet in
April 2025 to an ISP that will retain her number for their DV product.
Anything more than being without her existing (56 year old) number for
more than overnight is not acceptable.

I was thinking of either EE/BT or Zen (Zen is a better deal overall,
because their 'unlimited phone call allowance is cheaper than EE/BT
despite the broadband being more)

Re: Broadband Renewal

<kt188dFu3ovU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6303&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6303

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:36:11 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:36 UTC

On 02/12/2023 17:04, Andy Burns wrote:
> Mark Carver wrote:
>
>> I was expecting PlusNet to remove PSTN at contract renewal, but it
>> seems not !?
>
> That's what their website says to me, I can stick with existing contract
> which will get v.expensive from august and keep phone, or I can take a
> new contract without phone for slightly more.
>
> Also looked at EE, they seem to be not offering phone with their
> broadband either ...

Stick you postcode into this, (comes up for me with an option to keep
your landline number) ?

https://ee.co.uk/broadband

Re: Broadband Renewal

<xn0oa42244kl67000h@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6304&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6304

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 2 Dec 2023 17:43:24 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:43 UTC

On 02/12/2023 in message <kt1552Fu3ouU1@mid.individual.net> Mark Carver
wrote:

>On 02/12/2023 13:59, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>>My contract with PlusNet expires in early January and although they have
>>offered to renew it (WITH a phone line)
>
>That's interesting. What contract length were they offering for that ?
>because PSTN will presumably be switched off (by Openreach) on Dec 31 2025
>?
>
>I was expecting PlusNet to remove PSTN at contract renewal, but it seems
>not !?

It's 2 years from 4/1/2023 so a couple of days past 31/12/2025. The
pricing is stupid though, I can save £35 a month if I drop the line
(which has free calls).

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Most people have heard of Karl Marx the philosopher but few know of his

Re: Broadband Renewal

<kt18viFu3ovU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6305&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6305

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:48:33 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:48 UTC

On 02/12/2023 17:43, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 02/12/2023 in message <kt1552Fu3ouU1@mid.individual.net> Mark Carver
> wrote:
>
>> On 02/12/2023 13:59, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>>
>>> My contract with PlusNet expires in early January and although they
>>> have offered to renew it (WITH a phone line)
>>
>> That's interesting. What contract length were they offering for that ?
>> because PSTN will presumably be switched off (by Openreach) on Dec 31
>> 2025 ?
>>
>> I was expecting PlusNet to remove PSTN at contract renewal, but it
>> seems not !?
>
> It's 2 years from 4/1/2023 so a couple of days past 31/12/2025. The
> pricing is stupid though, I can save £35 a month if I drop the line
> (which has free calls).

Sounds like PlusNet are quoting a silly price, to deter you from taking
up the package. Rather like a plumber who's too busy, so quotes way over
the odds !

Weird ! Perhaps there's some arcane Ofcomery that says they still have
to offer PSTN for renewals, if the punter is already on PSTN on their
previous contract !?

Re: Broadband Renewal

<kt1aanF2lcU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6306&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6306

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:11:34 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:11 UTC

Mark Carver wrote:

> Stick you postcode into this, (comes up for me with an option to keep
> your landline number) ?
>
> https://ee.co.uk/broadband

That was the page I used before, but only gave it a postcode, no phone
number before; now I've given it a phone number it still doesn't offer
analogue voice but does offer pay-per-call digital voice for £5/month
(going higher with call bundles).

The page still has warning about not being able to get your number back
though, presumably only applies if you don't take digital voice?
digital voice is a rolling monthly service, so you might be able to take
an analogue plusnet number over to digital voice with EE, then cancel
after 1 month and transfer it to a.n.other VoIP provider?

I will have to find out by August.

Re: Broadband Renewal

<kt1dsmFu3ouU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6307&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6307

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 19:12:20 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 19:12 UTC

On 02/12/2023 18:11, Andy Burns wrote:

> The page still has warning about not being able to get your number back
> though, presumably only applies if you don't take digital voice? digital
> voice is a rolling monthly service, so you might be able to take an
> analogue plusnet number over to digital voice with EE, then cancel after
> 1 month and transfer it to a.n.other VoIP provider?

Interesting. Could work !

Re: Broadband Renewal

<ukga2m$2h7im$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6308&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6308

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:11:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:0rc1S0D8Q7lJArFnIl3hL81KdPw=
 by: Chris - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:11 UTC

Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 02/12/2023 17:04, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Mark Carver wrote:
>>
>>> I was expecting PlusNet to remove PSTN at contract renewal, but it
>>> seems not !?
>>
>> That's what their website says to me, I can stick with existing contract
>> which will get v.expensive from august and keep phone, or I can take a
>> new contract without phone for slightly more.
>>
>> Also looked at EE, they seem to be not offering phone with their
>> broadband either ...
>
> Stick you postcode into this, (comes up for me with an option to keep
> your landline number) ?
>
> https://ee.co.uk/broadband

No option for retaining landline number here. No full fibre and only VDSL
options.

Re: Broadband Renewal

<ukglkg$2i9e3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6309&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6309

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 01:28:48 +0000
 by: David Wade - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 01:28 UTC

On 02/12/2023 13:59, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> My contract with PlusNet expires in early January and although they have
> offered to renew it (WITH a phone line) they seem keen for me to
> transfer to a new package with no phone line and hall my current speed.
>
> Are there people here who have given up their landline? If so how do you
> get on without it? Mobile is OK round here, especially with WiFi
> calling, so it's tempting to give up the line but I wondered if it might
> lead to any practical issues?

I took out a new FTTP contract with ZEN, because they provide a VOIP
capable router, and then ported my phone number to voipfone.co.uk which
ceased the PlusNet service.

ZEN is more expensive than PlusNet but I am not sure if they let you use
a third party router. If they don't you would need to buy some hardware
which voipfone can supply.

You could do the same A&A who can also supply hardware.

Dave

Re: Broadband Renewal

<ukhepb$2po2c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6310&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6310

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 08:38:00 +0000
 by: Graham J - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 08:38 UTC

David Wade wrote:
> On 02/12/2023 13:59, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> My contract with PlusNet expires in early January and although they
>> have offered to renew it (WITH a phone line) they seem keen for me to
>> transfer to a new package with no phone line and hall my current speed.
>>
>> Are there people here who have given up their landline? If so how do
>> you get on without it? Mobile is OK round here, especially with WiFi
>> calling, so it's tempting to give up the line but I wondered if it
>> might lead to any practical issues?
>>
> I took out a new FTTP contract with ZEN, because they provide a VOIP
> capable router, and then ported my phone number to voipfone.co.uk which
> ceased the PlusNet service.
>
> ZEN is more expensive than PlusNet but I am not sure if they let you use
> a third party router. If they don't you would need to buy some hardware
> which voipfone can supply.

If you want to use Zen's "Digital Voice" service, then you probably need
their router. If not, then their FTTP service will work with any
Ethernet router.

Two good reasons for using Zen are:

a) static IP address
b) decent technical support

If you won't appreciate either of these then you can look for cheaper
suppliers.

--
Graham J

Re: Broadband Renewal

<ukhgvt$2q2h0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6311&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6311

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 09:15:41 +0000
 by: Davey - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 09:15 UTC

On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 08:38:00 +0000
Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Two good reasons for using Zen are:
>
> a) static IP address
> b) decent technical support...
.....who speak English as their first language. Ok, there is a Lancashire
accent, but I'll take that with no complaint.

--
Davey.

Re: Broadband Renewal

<dtlomi5ogte0mdbab6gsmg2bk0fao3ml8l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6312&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6312

From: reply_to_address_is_not@invalid.invalid (BrightsideS9)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 10:56:17 +0000
 by: BrightsideS9 - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 10:56 UTC

On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:19:02 +0000, Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com>
wrote:

>On 02/12/2023 17:04, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Mark Carver wrote:
>>
>>> I was expecting PlusNet to remove PSTN at contract renewal, but it
>>> seems not !?
>>
>> That's what their website says to me, I can stick with existing contract
>> which will get v.expensive from august and keep phone, or I can take a
>> new contract without phone for slightly more.
>>
>> Also looked at EE, they seem to be not offering phone with their
>> broadband either ...
>>
>>     "You won't be able to get your home phone number back.
>>     You'll have to get a brand new number if you decide you
>>     need a home phone in the future."
>>
>> That seems to go against the option somebody (Theo?) mentioned here to
>> take your number to a different provider for up to 30 days?
>
>Last time I dabbled with EE's website it gave a choice of keeping your
>existing number, or having a new one issued ?
>
>I thought if you are moving supplier within the 'EE-BT-PN' family, your
>number comes with you, without a struggle ?
>
>There's other weirdness. If you move to Sky, from a 'BT' family
>supplier, you generally keep your number. If you move house with Sky,
>you lose your number, Our son moved 400 yds up the road, and his Sky DV
>number changed. (FTTP at old and new house).
>
>I need to find an easy way to migrate my mother away from Plusnet in
>April 2025 to an ISP that will retain her number for their DV product.
>Anything more than being without her existing (56 year old) number for
>more than overnight is not acceptable.
>
>I was thinking of either EE/BT or Zen (Zen is a better deal overall,
>because their 'unlimited phone call allowance is cheaper than EE/BT
>despite the broadband being more)

I have BT broadband and 700 free minutes on landline to UK numbers and
mobiles

I have just checked my "offers" on BT's web site.e
I can have various broadband options. Each option offers:
1. Broadband only - no home phone
2, Broadband and pay as you go home phone - £3 extra / month.
3. Broadband and unlimited calls on home phone - £11 extra / month.

To be comparable with my current BT contract I would have option 3
above and pay £5.81 above my current price.

Option 2 looks the safer to keep landline number for incoming calls,
but then using mobile(s) for outgoing calls has to be factored in to
the cost.

Having saved £8 by taking option 2 over option 3 leaves £8 to pay
for mobile(s) outgoing calls. This OK for current smart phone users
but may not be so for elderly users, who like me and my missus (both
in our eighties) prefer not to use mobiles for calls.

Hence a current BT broadband user can keep their landline and pay
extra for the same product.

--
brightside s9

Re: Broadband Renewal

<ukho43$2qveb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6313&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6313

From: nix@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:17:24 +0000
 by: Nick Finnigan - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:17 UTC

On 03/12/2023 10:56, BrightsideS9 wrote:

> I have BT broadband and 700 free minutes on landline to UK numbers and
> mobiles
>
> I have just checked my "offers" on BT's web site.e
> I can have various broadband options. Each option offers:
> 1. Broadband only - no home phone
> 2, Broadband and pay as you go home phone - £3 extra / month.
> 3. Broadband and unlimited calls on home phone - £11 extra / month.

I get a 'stay on current' option as well.

Re: Broadband Renewal

<ukhoes$2r606$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6314&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6314

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:23:05 +0000
 by: Graham J - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:23 UTC

BrightsideS9 wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:19:02 +0000, Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com>
> wrote:

>>> That's what their website says to me, I can stick with existing contract
>>> which will get v.expensive from august and keep phone, or I can take a
>>> new contract without phone for slightly more.
>>>
>>> Also looked at EE, they seem to be not offering phone with their
>>> broadband either ...
>>>
>>>     "You won't be able to get your home phone number back.
>>>     You'll have to get a brand new number if you decide you
>>>     need a home phone in the future."
>>>
>>> That seems to go against the option somebody (Theo?) mentioned here to
>>> take your number to a different provider for up to 30 days?
>>
>> Last time I dabbled with EE's website it gave a choice of keeping your
>> existing number, or having a new one issued ?
>>
>> I thought if you are moving supplier within the 'EE-BT-PN' family, your
>> number comes with you, without a struggle ?
>>
>> There's other weirdness. If you move to Sky, from a 'BT' family
>> supplier, you generally keep your number. If you move house with Sky,
>> you lose your number, Our son moved 400 yds up the road, and his Sky DV
>> number changed. (FTTP at old and new house).
>>
>> I need to find an easy way to migrate my mother away from Plusnet in
>> April 2025 to an ISP that will retain her number for their DV product.
>> Anything more than being without her existing (56 year old) number for
>> more than overnight is not acceptable.
>>
>> I was thinking of either EE/BT or Zen (Zen is a better deal overall,
>> because their 'unlimited phone call allowance is cheaper than EE/BT
>> despite the broadband being more)
>

> I have BT broadband and 700 free minutes on landline to UK numbers and
> mobiles
>
> I have just checked my "offers" on BT's web site.e
> I can have various broadband options. Each option offers:
> 1. Broadband only - no home phone
> 2, Broadband and pay as you go home phone - £3 extra / month.
> 3. Broadband and unlimited calls on home phone - £11 extra / month.
>
> To be comparable with my current BT contract I would have option 3
> above and pay £5.81 above my current price.
>
> Option 2 looks the safer to keep landline number for incoming calls,
> but then using mobile(s) for outgoing calls has to be factored in to
> the cost.
>
> Having saved £8 by taking option 2 over option 3 leaves £8 to pay
> for mobile(s) outgoing calls. This OK for current smart phone users
> but may not be so for elderly users, who like me and my missus (both
> in our eighties) prefer not to use mobiles for calls.
>
> Hence a current BT broadband user can keep their landline and pay
> extra for the same product.

There is a further possibility:

Broadband only plus VoIP service.

You can port your existing landline number to the VoIP service. Small
porting charge (typically £20), plus £3 per month, plus calls (typically
1p/minute to landlines). You would need to buy a VoIP telephone (from
about £45).

Note that porting your existing landline number will cancel any
associated broadband service.

Converting your existing contract to broadband-only with the same
supplier will cancel your landline number, but OFCOM now says it is
possible for you to port that cancelled number so long as you do so
within a couple of weeks. So better to plan this in advance and set up
an account with your chosen VoIP service provider and warn them to start
the number import as soon as your old service is cancelled.

Note that VoIP needs a reliable broadband service to carry it. FTTP is
ideal. FTTC is probably OK. ADSL (if that's all you can get) - which
probably means you are in a very rural location - will not be
sufficiently reliable; but one hopes that it will be replaced with FTTP
sometime soon. Of course there are people who will never get
landline-based broadband, let alone FTTP.

--
Graham J

Re: Broadband Renewal

<kt395sFhfp9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6315&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6315

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 12:04:12 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 12:04 UTC

On 02/12/2023 22:11, Chris wrote:
> Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> That's what their website says to me, I can stick with existing contract
>>> which will get v.expensive from august and keep phone, or I can take a
>>> new contract without phone for slightly more.
>>>
>>> Also looked at EE, they seem to be not offering phone with their
>>> broadband either ...
>>
>> Stick you postcode into this, (comes up for me with an option to keep
>> your landline number) ?
>>
>> https://ee.co.uk/broadband
>
> No option for retaining landline number here. No full fibre and only VDSL
> options.

That's very interesting, I get an option to retain the landline number
at my own home (obvs with a DV product) and sticking my mother's address in.

There's an extra thing though, I think her FTTC cabinet is full, because
if I use her neighbouring house (which is empty at present) it comes
back that only ADSL is available (by the quoted max speed) and that a
Digital Voice line is unavailable (because presumably they don't support
that via ADSL) Interesting (and good!) that she won't go the the back of
the FTTC queue if she changes ISP !

Re: Broadband Renewal

<kt3mauFkipqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6316&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6316

From: devnull@loades.net (Malcolm Loades)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 15:48:46 +0000
 by: Malcolm Loades - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 15:48 UTC

On 03/12/2023 11:23, Graham J wrote:

> Note that VoIP needs a reliable broadband service to carry it. FTTP is
> ideal. FTTC is probably OK. ADSL (if that's all you can get) - which
> probably means you are in a very rural location - will not be
> sufficiently reliable; ..............

You need nothing like the bandwidth implied here. You only need 0.5
Mbps download for a good quality call. Compare that with streaming
video which requires 3-4 Mbps.

I've been using VoIP since 2005 first with ADSL, then VDSL, FTTC and now
FTTP. The call quality with FTTC is no different than when my
connection was by ADSL 18 years ago.

As for reliability, the very few times I've had no VoIP is because the
landline carrying the internet connection was down. Equally landline
calls would not then have been possible.

Malcolm

Re: Broadband Renewal

<dc8d8b21-a905-4b4d-bf4c-2afe350e9179n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6317&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6317

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 08:46:41 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 16:46 UTC

On Saturday, 2 December 2023 at 15:03:46 UTC, Tweed wrote:
> Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> > Jeff Gaines wrote:
> >
> >> Are there people here who have given up their landline?
> >
> > Not yet, see my reply elsewhere.
> >
> >> If so how do you
> >> get on without it? Mobile is OK round here, especially with WiFi
> >> calling, so it's tempting to give up the line but I wondered if it might
> >> lead to any practical issues?
> >
> > I think when the time comes, the choice will be between paying roughly
> > double to keep existing broadband+phone past my 18 month minimum
> > contract, or renew broadband only on a similar deal and pay an extra
> > £3/month to transfer the phone number to my existing voipfone account.
> >

> I ported my landline number to Andrews and Arnold. Costs £1.44 per month.
> You can either buy a voip DECT phone (or similar) or simply let incoming
> calls go to voicemail. These get emailed to you as WAV attachments. That
> way you can mop up the odd important inbound call. But otherwise all our
> phone business is conducted using mobile phones. I’ve found no practical
> issue not using a landline. My two adult offspring have never had a
> landline number.

Or you can run Voipfone's soft phone app', which now works well. Older Samsung and Nokia phones can run internet calling native.

If you have multiple lines then a pro copy of Zoiper or similar will manage that.

Re: Broadband Renewal

<3f7b0e05-4da2-402e-b058-b61a807f93ben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6318&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6318

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 08:48:46 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 16:48 UTC

On Saturday, 2 December 2023 at 22:11:37 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Mark Carver <ma...@invalid.com> wrote:
SNIP
> No option for retaining landline number here. No full fibre and only VDSL
> options.

Port it out first then - e.g. to Voipfone. Even works for mobiles.