Never buy what you do not want because it is cheap; it will be dear to you. -- Thomas Jefferson

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Widespread disruption

SubjectAuthor
* Widespread disruptionRoland Perry
+* Re: Widespread disruptionCodger
|+* Re: Widespread disruptionRecliner
||+- Re: Widespread disruptionMuttley
||`* Re: Widespread disruptionAnna Noyd-Dryver
|| +- Re: Widespread disruptionRecliner
|| `* Re: Widespread disruptionJMB99
||  +* Re: Widespread disruptionGraeme Wall
||  |+* Re: Widespread disruptionTweed
||  ||+- Re: Widespread disruptionRecliner
||  ||`* Re: Widespread disruptionTheo
||  || +* Re: Widespread disruptionRoland Perry
||  || |`- Re: Widespread disruptionSam Wilson
||  || `- Re: Widespread disruptionCharles Ellson
||  |`* Re: Widespread disruptionRoland Perry
||  | `- Re: Widespread disruptionRecliner
||  +* Re: Widespread disruptionRecliner
||  |+* Re: Widespread disruptionCoffee
||  ||`* Re: Widespread disruptionRecliner
||  || `- Re: Widespread disruptionRoland Perry
||  |+- Re: Widespread disruptionJMB99
||  |`* Re: Widespread disruptionAnna Noyd-Dryver
||  | +* Re: Widespread disruptionAnna Noyd-Dryver
||  | |`- Re: Widespread disruptionBevan Price
||  | `- Re: Widespread disruptionSam Wilson
||  `* Re: Widespread disruptionTheo
||   `- Re: Widespread disruptionRoland Perry
|+* Re: Widespread disruptionGraeme Wall
||+* Re: Widespread disruptionMuttley
|||+* Re: Widespread disruptionRoland Perry
|||`- Re: Widespread disruptionGraeme Wall
||`* Re: Widespread disruptionRecliner
|| `- Re: Widespread disruptionGraeme Wall
|`- Re: Widespread disruptionRoland Perry
`* Re: Widespread disruptionRecliner
 +- Re: Widespread disruptionMuttley
 `* Re: Widespread disruptionRoland Perry
  `* Re: Widespread disruptionRecliner
   `* Re: Widespread disruptionMarland
    +* Re: Widespread disruptionCoffee
    |`- Re: Widespread disruptionRecliner
    +- Re: Widespread disruptionRecliner
    `* Re: Widespread disruptionColinR
     `* Re: Widespread disruptionMarland
      `- Re: Widespread disruptionRecliner

Pages:12
Re: Widespread disruption

<0TWjN.42448$woU1.4848@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73328&group=uk.railway#73328

Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Widespread disruption
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 15:41:48 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 15:41 UTC

JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 30/12/2023 12:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
>> As far as I can tell from my two recent visits there, the Eurostar
>> equipment at Ebbsfleet is all still present, but presumably unused for
>> almost four years, so not necessarily in working order.
>

> Makes you wonder if they have any resilience planning.
>
> Some years back when there was the tunnel collapse on the ECML, it was
> found they did not have 'Euston' on the destination boards at Edinburgh
> Waverley.
>
> Minor thing but should have been picked up if there had been any planning.

Didn't Virgin have a Waverley-Euston service?

Re: Widespread disruption

<gVh*Iebzz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73333&group=uk.railway#73333

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 30 Dec 2023 16:25:46 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:25 UTC

JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 30/12/2023 12:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
> > As far as I can tell from my two recent visits there, the Eurostar
> > equipment at Ebbsfleet is all still present, but presumably unused for
> > almost four years, so not necessarily in working order.
>

> Makes you wonder if they have any resilience planning.
>
> Some years back when there was the tunnel collapse on the ECML, it was
> found they did not have 'Euston' on the destination boards at Edinburgh
> Waverley.

There's a train from Waverley to Euston that runs almost daily:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C20651/2024-01-08

I find it rather hard to believe they can't sign that on the departure
board.

Theo

Re: Widespread disruption

<umpgjc$1b4lj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73335&group=uk.railway#73335

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:30:36 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ZoEhsnFeSZlLcg2JNH3m52gLY/w=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:30 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 30/12/2023 14:25, JMB99 wrote:
>> On 30/12/2023 12:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
>>> As far as I can tell from my two recent visits there, the Eurostar
>>> equipment at Ebbsfleet is all still present, but presumably unused for
>>> almost four years, so not necessarily in working order.
>>

>> Makes you wonder if they have any resilience planning.
>>
>> Some years back when there was the tunnel collapse on the ECML, it was
>> found they did not have 'Euston' on the destination boards at Edinburgh
>> Waverley.
>>
>> Minor thing but should have been picked up if there had been any planning.
>>

> From the South-Eastern video it appears to be twin single bore tunnels,
> are both flooded?

Seems to be a self inflicted wound:

https://news.sky.com/story/flooded-tunnel-causes-train-cancellations-with-fresh-yellow-weather-warnings-across-parts-of-the-uk-13039130

A Thames Water spokesperson said the flooding is believed to have been
caused by a fire control system rather than one of its pipes, although a
technician has been sent "to offer support to control the flow of water".

Engineers working on the tunnel said water levels are reducing, but warned
the volume of water in the tunnel is "unprecedented".

Re: Widespread disruption

<umpgk3$1b350$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73336&group=uk.railway#73336

From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:30:59 +0000
 by: Coffee - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:30 UTC

On 30/12/2023 15:41, Recliner wrote:
> JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 30/12/2023 12:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
>>> As far as I can tell from my two recent visits there, the Eurostar
>>> equipment at Ebbsfleet is all still present, but presumably unused for
>>> almost four years, so not necessarily in working order.
>>

>> Makes you wonder if they have any resilience planning.
>>
>> Some years back when there was the tunnel collapse on the ECML, it was
>> found they did not have 'Euston' on the destination boards at Edinburgh
>> Waverley.
>>
>> Minor thing but should have been picked up if there had been any planning.
>
> Didn't Virgin have a Waverley-Euston service?

That was the Penmanshiel Tunnel collapse in 1979 where two workers were
killed. Their lives were valued at £5,000 each in the criminal court.
It was deemed too dangerous to recover their bodies.

This is long before Virgin ran train services.

Re: Widespread disruption

<KLXjN.60256$ogWb.59315@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73340&group=uk.railway#73340

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:42:18 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:42 UTC

Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 30/12/2023 15:41, Recliner wrote:
>> JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> Makes you wonder if they have any resilience planning.
>>>
>>> Some years back when there was the tunnel collapse on the ECML, it was
>>> found they did not have 'Euston' on the destination boards at Edinburgh
>>> Waverley.
>>>
>>> Minor thing but should have been picked up if there had been any planning.
>>
>> Didn't Virgin have a Waverley-Euston service?
>>
> That was the Penmanshiel Tunnel collapse in 1979 where two workers were
> killed. Their lives were valued at £5,000 each in the criminal court.
> It was deemed too dangerous to recover their bodies.
>
> This is long before Virgin ran train services.

Yes, but I recall seeing Virgin WC trains in Waverley. And, yes, Avanti
still runs them:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C88477/2023-12-30/detailed#allox_id=0

Re: Widespread disruption

<LSXjN.56332$i529.32940@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73342&group=uk.railway#73342

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:49:47 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:49 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>>

>>> Makes you wonder if they have any resilience planning.
>>>
>>> Some years back when there was the tunnel collapse on the ECML, it was
>>> found they did not have 'Euston' on the destination boards at Edinburgh
>>> Waverley.
>>>
>>> Minor thing but should have been picked up if there had been any planning.
>>>

>> From the South-Eastern video it appears to be twin single bore tunnels,
>> are both flooded?
>
> Seems to be a self inflicted wound:
>
> https://news.sky.com/story/flooded-tunnel-causes-train-cancellations-with-fresh-yellow-weather-warnings-across-parts-of-the-uk-13039130
>
> A Thames Water spokesperson said the flooding is believed to have been
> caused by a fire control system rather than one of its pipes, although a
> technician has been sent "to offer support to control the flow of water".
>
> Engineers working on the tunnel said water levels are reducing, but warned
> the volume of water in the tunnel is "unprecedented".

Telegraph:

Thames Water confirmed that the flooding in a Kent tunnel was caused by a
“fire control system”.

In a statement, the water company said: “We have been informed of an
incident involving a pipe flooding the Eurostar tunnel. We believe the
incident is in regard to a fire control system and not a Thames Water
pipe/asset, however we have a technician on the way to offer support to
control the flow of water.

“We will continue to monitor the situation and offer support where needed.”

Re: Widespread disruption

<fVh*1kbzz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73343&group=uk.railway#73343

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 30 Dec 2023 16:52:37 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:52 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems to be a self inflicted wound:
>
> https://news.sky.com/story/flooded-tunnel-causes-train-cancellations-with-fresh-yellow-weather-warnings-across-parts-of-the-uk-13039130
>
> A Thames Water spokesperson said the flooding is believed to have been
> caused by a fire control system rather than one of its pipes, although a
> technician has been sent "to offer support to control the flow of water".

Put their finger in the dyke?

> Engineers working on the tunnel said water levels are reducing, but warned
> the volume of water in the tunnel is "unprecedented".

I would hope it is. Don't want it happening on a regular basis.

Theo

Re: Widespread disruption

<bj9mg6aOgGklFAeF@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73364&group=uk.railway#73364

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:57:18 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:57 UTC

In message <fVh*1kbzz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at 16:52:37 on Sat,
30 Dec 2023, Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> remarked:

>Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Seems to be a self inflicted wound:
>>
>> https://news.sky.com/story/flooded-tunnel-causes-train-cancellations-with-fresh-yellow-weather-warnings-across-parts-of-the-uk-13039130
>>
>> A Thames Water spokesperson said the flooding is believed to have been
>> caused by a fire control system rather than one of its pipes, although a
>> technician has been sent "to offer support to control the flow of water".
>
>Put their finger in the dyke?

Turn the water supply off, wherever it comes from. Should have done that
when the leak was first noticed.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Widespread disruption

<MTKjcrbRjGklFA+N@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73365&group=uk.railway#73365

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:00:33 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:00 UTC

In message <KLXjN.60256$ogWb.59315@fx14.ams1>, at 16:42:18 on Sat, 30
Dec 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Didn't Virgin have a Waverley-Euston service?
>>>
>> That was the Penmanshiel Tunnel collapse in 1979 where two workers were
>> killed. Their lives were valued at £5,000 each in the criminal court.
>> It was deemed too dangerous to recover their bodies.
>>
>> This is long before Virgin ran train services.
>
>Yes, but I recall seeing Virgin WC trains in Waverley. And, yes, Avanti
>still runs them:

Well swerved. I was on one a couple of months ago... changed at BHM onto
an XC for Ely.

--
Roland Perry

Re: Widespread disruption

<zi98gKcOkGklFAbr@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73366&group=uk.railway#73366

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:01:34 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:01 UTC

In message <gVh*Iebzz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at 16:25:46 on Sat,
30 Dec 2023, Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> remarked:
>JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 30/12/2023 12:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
>> > As far as I can tell from my two recent visits there, the Eurostar
>> > equipment at Ebbsfleet is all still present, but presumably unused for
>> > almost four years, so not necessarily in working order.
>>
>> Makes you wonder if they have any resilience planning.
>>
>> Some years back when there was the tunnel collapse on the ECML, it was
>> found they did not have 'Euston' on the destination boards at Edinburgh
>> Waverley.
>
>There's a train from Waverley to Euston that runs almost daily:
>https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C20651/2024-01-08
>
>I find it rather hard to believe they can't sign that on the departure
>board.

I'm sure they've fixed it by now. After all, the station was given a
massive refurb only a few years ago.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Widespread disruption

<umpq79$1cetm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73367&group=uk.railway#73367

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:14:49 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:14 UTC

On 30/12/2023 15:41, Recliner wrote:
> Didn't Virgin have a Waverley-Euston service?

I don't know but someone had to go in late at night with a can of paint,
paint brush and step-ladder to add the name to the destination board.

Re: Widespread disruption

<umpr8j$1ckkg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73370&group=uk.railway#73370

From: anna@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:32:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:LmuilzSSRm5eX4rMJMK7l02i/GQ=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:32 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 30/12/2023 12:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
>>> As far as I can tell from my two recent visits there, the Eurostar
>>> equipment at Ebbsfleet is all still present, but presumably unused for
>>> almost four years, so not necessarily in working order.
>>

>> Makes you wonder if they have any resilience planning.
>>
>> Some years back when there was the tunnel collapse on the ECML, it was
>> found they did not have 'Euston' on the destination boards at Edinburgh
>> Waverley.
>>
>> Minor thing but should have been picked up if there had been any planning.
>
> Didn't Virgin have a Waverley-Euston service?

Plus the sleepers, so it must have been some considerable time ago!

Presumably Penmanshiel Tunnel in 1979; Wikipedia suggests that sleeper
services transferred from ECML to WCML in 1988. OTOH Wikipedia also
suggests that electric services between Carstairs and Edinburgh began
before they began on the ECML to Edinburgh; besides which wasn't Carstairs
always famous for shunting portions of trains to either Scottish city?;
surely they can't all have been non-London trains.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Widespread disruption

<umprhi$1clpo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73372&group=uk.railway#73372

From: anna@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:37:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3ACDjzfHLZF3zU3TSlnbQc2EkWc=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:37 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> Makes you wonder if they have any resilience planning.
>>>
>>> Some years back when there was the tunnel collapse on the ECML, it was
>>> found they did not have 'Euston' on the destination boards at Edinburgh
>>> Waverley.
>>>
>>> Minor thing but should have been picked up if there had been any planning.
>>
>> Didn't Virgin have a Waverley-Euston service?
>>

> Plus the sleepers, so it must have been some considerable time ago!
>
> Presumably Penmanshiel Tunnel in 1979; Wikipedia suggests that sleeper
> services transferred from ECML to WCML in 1988. OTOH Wikipedia also
> suggests that electric services between Carstairs and Edinburgh began
> before they began on the ECML to Edinburgh; besides which wasn't Carstairs
> always famous for shunting portions of trains to either Scottish city?;
> surely they can't all have been non-London trains.

Also, the legendary "Race to the North" era was trains to Edinburgh via
WCML/ECML <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_to_the_North>; I find it
difficult to believe that there was a prolonged period of time without
Euston services from Edinburgh?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Widespread disruption

<kvbd6oF1028U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73386&group=uk.railway#73386

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 30 Dec 2023 20:34:33 GMT
 by: Marland - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 20:34 UTC

ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:
> On 30/12/2023 12:56, Marland wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Eurostar is now (optimistically?) showing services restarting at 1631.
>>>

>> It will be interesting to see what type of flooding this is, at first I
>> thought it was floodwater over
>> the track and of course it still could be. There is now video on news feeds
>> which show water cascading from a pipe bend where it penetrates a wall in
>> what appears to be a permanently installed pipe.
>> Case of pipe joint failure caused by excess volume and pressure behind the
>> wall or some unnoticed corrosion giving way. perhaps? So is that pipe part
>> of the drainage system designed to prevent flooding and has failed on one
>> of the most awkward days it could after being stressed by the recent heavy
>> rainfall.
>> If it is just that pipe it is probably relatively easy to deal with.
>>
>> GH
>
> Yeah, bit o' gaffer tape, all sorted

Bin liner wrapped around first, being a bit more serious while its quite a
lot of water compared to a domestic leak there are industrial sized
clamping collars in various forms frequently used on leaking water mains.
Ahh I see the latest is that it could be a leaking fire main, there you go
then . Nobody in these days of everything maintenance wise being
contracted out around who could turn it off reasonably quickly. The cynic
in me says that it has probably been weeping for ages but nobody could be
bothered to investigate.

GH

Re: Widespread disruption

<RL%jN.28459$N2w8.26779@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73393&group=uk.railway#73393

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:15:29 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:15 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>>> It will be interesting to see what type of flooding this is, at first I
>>> thought it was floodwater over
>>> the track and of course it still could be. There is now video on news feeds
>>> which show water cascading from a pipe bend where it penetrates a wall in
>>> what appears to be a permanently installed pipe.
>>> Case of pipe joint failure caused by excess volume and pressure behind the
>>> wall or some unnoticed corrosion giving way. perhaps? So is that pipe part
>>> of the drainage system designed to prevent flooding and has failed on one
>>> of the most awkward days it could after being stressed by the recent heavy
>>> rainfall.
>>> If it is just that pipe it is probably relatively easy to deal with.
>>>
>>> GH
>>
>> Yeah, bit o' gaffer tape, all sorted
>>

> Bin liner wrapped around first, being a bit more serious while its quite a
> lot of water compared to a domestic leak there are industrial sized
> clamping collars in various forms frequently used on leaking water mains.
> Ahh I see the latest is that it could be a leaking fire main, there you go
> then . Nobody in these days of everything maintenance wise being
> contracted out around who could turn it off reasonably quickly. The cynic
> in me says that it has probably been weeping for ages but nobody could be
> bothered to investigate.

From the video, the pipe was completely fractured, with only one part
visible.

Re: Widespread disruption

<6xkO0ENq+RklFAr9@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73440&group=uk.railway#73440

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 08:00:42 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 08:00 UTC

In message <ump9kf$1a4me$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:31:43 on Sat, 30 Dec
2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 30/12/2023 14:25, JMB99 wrote:
>> On 30/12/2023 12:17, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
>>> As far as I can tell from my two recent visits there, the Eurostar
>>> equipment at Ebbsfleet is all still present, but presumably unused for
>>> almost four years, so not necessarily in working order.

>> Makes you wonder if they have any resilience planning.
>> Some years back when there was the tunnel collapse on the ECML, it
>>was found they did not have 'Euston' on the destination boards at
>>Edinburgh Waverley.

>> Minor thing but should have been picked up if there had been any
>>planning.
>>

>From the South-Eastern video it appears to be twin single bore tunnels,
>are both flooded?

I haven't had time to read the detail, but this morning's news reports
are that services are resuming using one bore.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Widespread disruption

<xYbkN.28273$Do46.10612@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73454&group=uk.railway#73454

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 11:08:13 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 11:08 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <ump9kf$1a4me$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:31:43 on Sat, 30 Dec
> 2023, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>
>>> Makes you wonder if they have any resilience planning.
>>> Some years back when there was the tunnel collapse on the ECML, it
>>> was found they did not have 'Euston' on the destination boards at
>>> Edinburgh Waverley.
>
>>> Minor thing but should have been picked up if there had been any
>>> planning.
>>>

>> From the South-Eastern video it appears to be twin single bore tunnels,
>> are both flooded?
>
> I haven't had time to read the detail, but this morning's news reports
> are that services are resuming using one bore.

It seems to be back to normal now.

Re: Widespread disruption

<umshdr$1r72c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73520&group=uk.railway#73520

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:03:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:iDBkRftGRnr2h4t4ZeKm/u37Qyg=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:03 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <fVh*1kbzz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at 16:52:37 on Sat,
> 30 Dec 2023, Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> remarked:
>
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Seems to be a self inflicted wound:
>>>
>>> https://news.sky.com/story/flooded-tunnel-causes-train-cancellations-with-fresh-yellow-weather-warnings-across-parts-of-the-uk-13039130
>>>
>>> A Thames Water spokesperson said the flooding is believed to have been
>>> caused by a fire control system rather than one of its pipes, although a
>>> technician has been sent "to offer support to control the flow of water".
>>
>> Put their finger in the dyke?
>
> Turn the water supply off, wherever it comes from. Should have done that
> when the leak was first noticed.

Possibly wouldn’t be able to run trains with the fire control system
disabled or degraded.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Widespread disruption

<umshml$1r7vt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73521&group=uk.railway#73521

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:07:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:CtQwNAm0UXzHgJWybbeR7TpoLNI=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:07 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> Makes you wonder if they have any resilience planning.
>>>
>>> Some years back when there was the tunnel collapse on the ECML, it was
>>> found they did not have 'Euston' on the destination boards at Edinburgh
>>> Waverley.
>>>
>>> Minor thing but should have been picked up if there had been any planning.
>>
>> Didn't Virgin have a Waverley-Euston service?
>>

> Plus the sleepers, so it must have been some considerable time ago!
>
> Presumably Penmanshiel Tunnel in 1979; Wikipedia suggests that sleeper
> services transferred from ECML to WCML in 1988. OTOH Wikipedia also
> suggests that electric services between Carstairs and Edinburgh began
> before they began on the ECML to Edinburgh; besides which wasn't Carstairs
> always famous for shunting portions of trains to either Scottish city?;
> surely they can't all have been non-London trains.

I’m not sure what happens now, but there was a period when winter sleepers
combined or split at Carstairs. Long before that the usual combining and
splitting services were Glasgow-Manchester and Edinburgh-Liverpool. I used
to use them when I was a student and there was always the shuffle in the
middle part of the journey for those needing the other half of the train.
The other combine/split was at Preston.

I never had any occasion to, say, join a train from London at Preston and
have it split at Carstairs. The Glasgow-London trains used to race through
Carstairs, with an 87 and latterly Mk3s, just before the portion from
Glasgow arrived with Mk2s and an 86 on the front.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Widespread disruption

<umsk2n$1rfn6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73525&group=uk.railway#73525

From: bevanprice666@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:48:23 +0000
 by: Bevan Price - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:48 UTC

On 30/12/2023 19:37, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Didn't Virgin have a Waverley-Euston service?
>>>

>> Plus the sleepers, so it must have been some considerable time ago!
>>
>> Presumably Penmanshiel Tunnel in 1979; Wikipedia suggests that sleeper
>> services transferred from ECML to WCML in 1988. OTOH Wikipedia also
>> suggests that electric services between Carstairs and Edinburgh began
>> before they began on the ECML to Edinburgh; besides which wasn't Carstairs
>> always famous for shunting portions of trains to either Scottish city?;
>> surely they can't all have been non-London trains.
>>

> Also, the legendary "Race to the North" era was trains to Edinburgh via
> WCML/ECML <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_to_the_North>; I find it
> difficult to believe that there was a prolonged period of time without
> Euston services from Edinburgh?
>

> Anna Noyd-Dryver

For many years, the only daytime WCML trains to Edinburgh were those
from Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham (or beyond) - plus some odd
Summer Saturday trains from Blackpool or Morecambe.

Re: Widespread disruption

<alc7pi5lo7s9q99ui0b9m2tntti6faspi3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73628&group=uk.railway#73628

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 06:55:31 +0000
 by: Charles Ellson - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 06:55 UTC

On 30 Dec 2023 16:52:37 +0000 (GMT), Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Seems to be a self inflicted wound:
>>
>> https://news.sky.com/story/flooded-tunnel-causes-train-cancellations-with-fresh-yellow-weather-warnings-across-parts-of-the-uk-13039130
>>
>> A Thames Water spokesperson said the flooding is believed to have been
>> caused by a fire control system rather than one of its pipes, although a
>> technician has been sent "to offer support to control the flow of water".
>
>Put their finger in the dyke?

Possibly telling them how much can be pumped in which direction so
that it doesn't overwhelm the relevant drains/watercourses?

>> Engineers working on the tunnel said water levels are reducing, but warned
>> the volume of water in the tunnel is "unprecedented".

Or "quite a lot" ?