If I'm over the hill, why is it I don't recall ever being on top? -- Jerry Muscha

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

SubjectAuthor
* Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian Gaff
+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencetony sayer
|+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceAdrian Caspersz
||+- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian Gaff
||`- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencetony sayer
|+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian Gaff
||+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceNY
|||+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencecharles
|||+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceJ. P. Gilliver
|||+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencetony sayer
|||+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceMB
|||+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceThe Other John
|||+- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceRoderick Stewart
|||`- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian Gaff
||`* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencetony sayer
|| `* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceLiz Tuddenham
||  `- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceJ. P. Gilliver
|`* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceNY
| +* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencetony sayer
| |`* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceWoody
| | +* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencetony sayer
| | |+- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencecharles
| | |`- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceWoody
| | `* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceNY
| |  `- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian
| `* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceLiz Tuddenham
|  `- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceJ. P. Gilliver
`* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencejon
 +- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian Gaff
 `* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceJ. P. Gilliver
  `* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceJohn Williamson
   `- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian Gaff

Pages:1234
Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<u987or$22saf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8574&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8574

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 09:44:36 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 08:44 UTC

I have an amplified Sub woofer, but it seems to be very prone to picking
stuff up. For example, it can pick up switching transients and up until
quite recently, even Radio China International. The Chinese seem to have
lowered their power recently, but back when I first got it, you could hear
Vatican Radio as well, but these days they don't use short waves. Its
interesting to note it does not pick up Premier radio, even though there is
an am outlet less than a mile away.
We tried mains filters internal capacitors everywhere with no effect. It
even did it connected just to the mains and no inputs. I can only deduce
that the power amp design is just wide open and allows most stuff into the
amp where it just gets rectified and shoved out through the speaker.
I once had a Tandberg tuner amp that was like this, and no amount of
suppression would work there either.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<6Zbt4VAsAnukFwsG@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8576&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8576

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 12:46:52 +0100
 by: tony sayer - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 11:46 UTC

In article <u987or$22saf$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> scribeth thus
>I have an amplified Sub woofer, but it seems to be very prone to picking
>stuff up. For example, it can pick up switching transients and up until
>quite recently, even Radio China International. The Chinese seem to have
>lowered their power recently, but back when I first got it, you could hear
>Vatican Radio as well, but these days they don't use short waves. Its
>interesting to note it does not pick up Premier radio, even though there is
>an am outlet less than a mile away.
> We tried mains filters internal capacitors everywhere with no effect. It
>even did it connected just to the mains and no inputs. I can only deduce
>that the power amp design is just wide open and allows most stuff into the
>amp where it just gets rectified and shoved out through the speaker.
> I once had a Tandberg tuner amp that was like this, and no amount of
>suppression would work there either.
> Brian

In most all instances of this type of radio pickup its being demodulated
in around the first semiconductor base emitter junction it finds!.

Bypassing the junction with say a 1000 pf ceramic cap will cure that, it
works much better than all the ferrite beads and the like. A few k ohms
in line with that base junction as long as its not in the biasing chain
will help as well.

Seen this in a lot of TV audio cars even since waay back on 27 MHz AM CB
systems and mobile phone breakthrough the thermostat arcing the lot!!
--
Tony Sayer

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<khvfgmFokppU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8577&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8577

From: email@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 14:28:54 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 13:28 UTC

On 7/21/23 12:46, tony sayer wrote:

> In most all instances of this type of radio pickup its being demodulated
> in around the first semiconductor base emitter junction it finds!.
>
> Bypassing the junction with say a 1000 pf ceramic cap will cure that, it
> works much better than all the ferrite beads and the like. A few k ohms
> in line with that base junction as long as its not in the biasing chain
> will help as well.

I seem to remember an industry meddling EU rule that made compulsory the
installation of those capacitors.

Some folks paid extra for them to be removed ....

--
Adrian C

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<u9gc08$3pd6l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8580&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8580

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 11:45:52 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 10:45 UTC

I'm sure we tried that as well. It worked on a tape recorder, but not on
other things. Indeed, those with long memories will recall the Sinclair IC12
amplifier chips. I built a couple of these for stereo in my little bedroom
when I was younger. They persistently picked up radar pulses from the
industrial estate down the road. Scanning for these put them in between band
4 and 5 where videos used to live as well. Nothing else was picked up. I had
to replace one due to a short in the speaker blowing it up and it was then
made by Texas and still had the same problem, but later on making the power
section use ILP modules got rid of it. One has to imagine that the IC was i
n fact a glorified op amp of course, and had many more transistors in a very
small area than you needed for the gain you used, so many more chances to
pick up crud.
Brian

--

--:
"tony sayer" <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <u987or$22saf$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> scribeth thus
>>I have an amplified Sub woofer, but it seems to be very prone to picking
>>stuff up. For example, it can pick up switching transients and up until
>>quite recently, even Radio China International. The Chinese seem to have
>>lowered their power recently, but back when I first got it, you could hear
>>Vatican Radio as well, but these days they don't use short waves. Its
>>interesting to note it does not pick up Premier radio, even though there
>>is
>>an am outlet less than a mile away.
>> We tried mains filters internal capacitors everywhere with no effect. It
>>even did it connected just to the mains and no inputs. I can only deduce
>>that the power amp design is just wide open and allows most stuff into the
>>amp where it just gets rectified and shoved out through the speaker.
>> I once had a Tandberg tuner amp that was like this, and no amount of
>>suppression would work there either.
>> Brian
>>

> In most all instances of this type of radio pickup its being demodulated
> in around the first semiconductor base emitter junction it finds!.
>
> Bypassing the junction with say a 1000 pf ceramic cap will cure that, it
> works much better than all the ferrite beads and the like. A few k ohms
> in line with that base junction as long as its not in the biasing chain
> will help as well.
>
> Seen this in a lot of TV audio cars even since waay back on 27 MHz AM CB
> systems and mobile phone breakthrough the thermostat arcing the lot!!
>
> --
> Tony Sayer
>

> Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
>
> Give him a keyboard, and he will reveal himself.

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<u9gc8e$3pe44$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8581&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8581

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 11:50:14 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 10:50 UTC

Oh yes this was the golden ears folk, they wanted DC to Light bandwidth, but
we all know about the wider the window is open the more the muck flies in It
was these same people who loved the quality of radio 3, when the bandwidth
had a brick wall filter at 15khz. I built a stereo decoder that had no such
mpx filter. When recorded on a reel to reel deck and slowed down you could
clearly hear the 19khz pilot tone.
Those were the days, when audio was understandable and you could
demonstrate what was going on.
Brian

--

--:
"Adrian Caspersz" <email@here.invalid> wrote in message
> On 7/21/23 12:46, tony sayer wrote:
>
>> In most all instances of this type of radio pickup its being demodulated
>> in around the first semiconductor base emitter junction it finds!.
>>
>> Bypassing the junction with say a 1000 pf ceramic cap will cure that, it
>> works much better than all the ferrite beads and the like. A few k ohms
>> in line with that base junction as long as its not in the biasing chain
>> will help as well.
>
> I seem to remember an industry meddling EU rule that made compulsory the
> installation of those capacitors.
>
> Some folks paid extra for them to be removed ....
>
> --
> Adrian C

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<qa-dnX8z1ri7fib5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8582&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8582

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:09:41 +0100
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: NY - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 14:09 UTC

On 21/07/2023 12:46, tony sayer wrote:
> Seen this in a lot of TV audio cars even since waay back on 27 MHz AM CB
> systems and mobile phone breakthrough the thermostat arcing the lot!!

My car, or maybe it was the one before it, was prone to picking up 2G
mobile phone "galloping horses" through the radio speakers even with the
radio turned off. But maybe the on/off switch just turned off the
display and front panel, and muted the RF detector input, and the
amplifier was permanently powered.

These days, "galloping horses" are like white dogshit: remembered but
not encountered for yonks.

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<4didnT9jlt_YeCb5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8583&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8583

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:18:44 +0100
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: NY - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 14:18 UTC

On 22/07/2023 11:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I'm sure we tried that as well. It worked on a tape recorder, but not on
> other things. Indeed, those with long memories will recall the Sinclair IC12
> amplifier chips. I built a couple of these for stereo in my little bedroom
> when I was younger. They persistently picked up radar pulses from the
> industrial estate down the road. Scanning for these put them in between band
> 4 and 5 where videos used to live as well. Nothing else was picked up. I had
> to replace one due to a short in the speaker blowing it up and it was then
> made by Texas and still had the same problem, but later on making the power
> section use ILP modules got rid of it. One has to imagine that the IC was i
> n fact a glorified op amp of course, and had many more transistors in a very
> small area than you needed for the gain you used, so many more chances to
> pick up crud.

The ultimate *visible* RFI was on the news reports from the warships in
the Falklands War. To begin with, the reports were always preceded by an
apology for the poor picture quality - because the ship's rotating radar
pulse stomped a great big noise bar over the picture every couple of
seconds. Of course film would have been immune but there would have been
the "little" problem of taking a film-processing system and telecine ;-)

ENG cameras have to be immune to all *normal* RFI, but immunity from a
megawatt of SHF from a radar wouldn't have been tested for ;-)

Don't know whether it affected the electronics as such (amplifiers etc)
or whether it buggered up the electron beams inside the plumbicon tubes
- because the early 80s were almost certainly before solid-state sensors.

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<dgu0mcB61+ukFwaq@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8584&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8584

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:53:46 +0100
 by: tony sayer - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 14:53 UTC

In article <khvfgmFokppU1@mid.individual.net>, Adrian Caspersz
<email@here.invalid> scribeth thus
>On 7/21/23 12:46, tony sayer wrote:
>
>> In most all instances of this type of radio pickup its being demodulated
>> in around the first semiconductor base emitter junction it finds!.
>>
>> Bypassing the junction with say a 1000 pf ceramic cap will cure that, it
>> works much better than all the ferrite beads and the like. A few k ohms
>> in line with that base junction as long as its not in the biasing chain
>> will help as well.
>
>I seem to remember an industry meddling EU rule that made compulsory the
>installation of those capacitors.
>

>Some folks paid extra for them to be removed ....

And why might they have done that then?...
--
Tony Sayer

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<5ac8019154charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8585&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8585

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 23 15:00:01 UTC
 by: charles - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:00 UTC

In article <4didnT9jlt_YeCb5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
<me@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 22/07/2023 11:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
> > I'm sure we tried that as well. It worked on a tape recorder, but not
> > on other things. Indeed, those with long memories will recall the
> > Sinclair IC12 amplifier chips. I built a couple of these for stereo in
> > my little bedroom when I was younger. They persistently picked up radar
> > pulses from the industrial estate down the road. Scanning for these put
> > them in between band 4 and 5 where videos used to live as well. Nothing
> > else was picked up. I had to replace one due to a short in the speaker
> > blowing it up and it was then made by Texas and still had the same
> > problem, but later on making the power section use ILP modules got rid
> > of it. One has to imagine that the IC was i n fact a glorified op amp
> > of course, and had many more transistors in a very small area than you
> > needed for the gain you used, so many more chances to pick up crud.

> The ultimate *visible* RFI was on the news reports from the warships in
> the Falklands War. To begin with, the reports were always preceded by an
> apology for the poor picture quality - because the ship's rotating radar
> pulse stomped a great big noise bar over the picture every couple of
> seconds. Of course film would have been immune but there would have been
> the "little" problem of taking a film-processing system and telecine ;-)

> ENG cameras have to be immune to all *normal* RFI, but immunity from a
> megawatt of SHF from a radar wouldn't have been tested for ;-)

> Don't know whether it affected the electronics as such (amplifiers etc)
> or whether it buggered up the electron beams inside the plumbicon tubes
> - because the early 80s were almost certainly before solid-state sensors.

This also happened on the Apollo splashdowns. Cameras on a US aircraft
carrier

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<0onrSrutA$ukFwvV@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8586&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8586

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 16:05:17 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:05 UTC

In message <4didnT9jlt_YeCb5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> at Sat,
22 Jul 2023 15:18:44, NY <me@privacy.net> writes
[]
>The ultimate *visible* RFI was on the news reports from the warships in
>the Falklands War. To begin with, the reports were always preceded by
>an apology for the poor picture quality - because the ship's rotating
>radar pulse stomped a great big noise bar over the picture every couple
>of seconds. Of course film would have been immune but there would have
>been the "little" problem of taking a film-processing system and
>telecine ;-)
>
>ENG cameras have to be immune to all *normal* RFI, but immunity from a
>megawatt of SHF from a radar wouldn't have been tested for ;-)
>
>Don't know whether it affected the electronics as such (amplifiers etc)
>or whether it buggered up the electron beams inside the plumbicon tubes
>- because the early 80s were almost certainly before solid-state
>sensors.

I always assumed it got into the electronics, rather than directly
affecting the light sensor(s) [of whatever sort].

It did occur to me that the patterning might be giving away the
structure of the radar pulses - they obviously weren't just a type A
radar, but a digitally-complex pulse - to anyone seeing it, but
presumably either this wasn't thought of, it was thought to be not
important, or the structure was ever-changing and such analysis was
pointless.

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets
you. - Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<nhPq2oB+C$ukFwsl@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8587&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8587

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 16:07:42 +0100
 by: tony sayer - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:07 UTC

In article <u9gc08$3pd6l$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> scribeth thus
>I'm sure we tried that as well. It worked on a tape recorder, but not on
>other things. Indeed, those with long memories will recall the Sinclair IC12
>amplifier chips. I built a couple of these for stereo in my little bedroom
>when I was younger. They persistently picked up radar pulses from the
>industrial estate down the road. Scanning for these put them in between band
>4 and 5 where videos used to live as well. Nothing else was picked up. I had
>to replace one due to a short in the speaker blowing it up and it was then
>made by Texas and still had the same problem, but later on making the power
>section use ILP modules got rid of it. One has to imagine that the IC was i
>n fact a glorified op amp of course, and had many more transistors in a very
>small area than you needed for the gain you used, so many more chances to
>pick up crud.
> Brian

You were very lucky if the bloody things worked anyway, piles of the
proverbial poo!..

Forever taking the bloody things X-20 was it down to their place in
Fitzroy street!.

Bloke there let on he'd be buying the rejects from Newmarket transistors
on the cheap!
--
Tony Sayer

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<mheqm0B6E$ukFwsy@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8588&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8588

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 16:09:46 +0100
 by: tony sayer - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:09 UTC

In article <4didnT9jlt_YeCb5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
<me@privacy.net> scribeth thus
>On 22/07/2023 11:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I'm sure we tried that as well. It worked on a tape recorder, but not on
>> other things. Indeed, those with long memories will recall the Sinclair IC12
>> amplifier chips. I built a couple of these for stereo in my little bedroom
>> when I was younger. They persistently picked up radar pulses from the
>> industrial estate down the road. Scanning for these put them in between band
>> 4 and 5 where videos used to live as well. Nothing else was picked up. I had
>> to replace one due to a short in the speaker blowing it up and it was then
>> made by Texas and still had the same problem, but later on making the power
>> section use ILP modules got rid of it. One has to imagine that the IC was i
>> n fact a glorified op amp of course, and had many more transistors in a very
>> small area than you needed for the gain you used, so many more chances to
>> pick up crud.
>
>The ultimate *visible* RFI was on the news reports from the warships in
>the Falklands War. To begin with, the reports were always preceded by an
>apology for the poor picture quality - because the ship's rotating radar
>pulse stomped a great big noise bar over the picture every couple of
>seconds. Of course film would have been immune but there would have been
>the "little" problem of taking a film-processing system and telecine ;-)
>
>ENG cameras have to be immune to all *normal* RFI, but immunity from a
>megawatt of SHF from a radar wouldn't have been tested for ;-)
>
>Don't know whether it affected the electronics as such (amplifiers etc)
>or whether it buggered up the electron beams inside the plumbicon tubes
>- because the early 80s were almost certainly before solid-state sensors.

Wasn't their a tale of some incoming missile not being spotted as a
radar was tuned off whilst communicating with London?..
--
Tony Sayer

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<VRmmqCCZK$ukFwoo@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8589&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8589

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 16:15:37 +0100
 by: tony sayer - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:15 UTC

In article <qa-dnX8z1ri7fib5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
<me@privacy.net> scribeth thus
>On 21/07/2023 12:46, tony sayer wrote:
>> Seen this in a lot of TV audio cars even since waay back on 27 MHz AM CB
>> systems and mobile phone breakthrough the thermostat arcing the lot!!
>
>My car, or maybe it was the one before it, was prone to picking up 2G
>mobile phone "galloping horses" through the radio speakers even with the
>radio turned off. But maybe the on/off switch just turned off the
>display and front panel, and muted the RF detector input, and the
>amplifier was permanently powered.
>
>These days, "galloping horses" are like white dogshit: remembered but
>not encountered for yonks.

We used to get a lot of problems with PMR breakthrough in cars electric
windows would go up and down etc!

Worst one was the old police Volvo's 144 model IIRC it seemed the
electronic fuel injection would cause the engine to stall when the radio
was transmitting!...

--
Tony Sayer

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<u9gsok$3s0ub$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8590&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8590

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 16:31:32 +0100
 by: Woody - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:31 UTC

On Sat 22/07/2023 16:15, tony sayer wrote:
> In article <qa-dnX8z1ri7fib5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
> <me@privacy.net> scribeth thus
>> On 21/07/2023 12:46, tony sayer wrote:
>>> Seen this in a lot of TV audio cars even since waay back on 27 MHz AM CB
>>> systems and mobile phone breakthrough the thermostat arcing the lot!!
>>
>> My car, or maybe it was the one before it, was prone to picking up 2G
>> mobile phone "galloping horses" through the radio speakers even with the
>> radio turned off. But maybe the on/off switch just turned off the
>> display and front panel, and muted the RF detector input, and the
>> amplifier was permanently powered.
>>
>> These days, "galloping horses" are like white dogshit: remembered but
>> not encountered for yonks.
>

> We used to get a lot of problems with PMR breakthrough in cars electric
> windows would go up and down etc!
>
> Worst one was the old police Volvo's 144 model IIRC it seemed the
> electronic fuel injection would cause the engine to stall when the radio
> was transmitting!...

Not quite Tony - I remember that one distinctly.
The Volvo 144's had the first ever electronic (i.e. transistor switched)
ignition. If the radio (Pye Vanguard of course on 79MHz-ish) transmitted
the car speed dropped by almost exactly 30mph consistently.
The lads at Pye Cambridge Service at Arbury Road cured it with some ease
- they wrapped the 'electronic ignition' plastic box in (grounded)
cooking foil. 100% instant cure!

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<u9gt78$3s4sl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8591&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8591

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 16:39:21 +0100
 by: MB - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:39 UTC

Many years ago there was a live OB of a climb on Ben Nevis, they used
our team base as their base with a large scanner in the car park and a
large comms vehicle. A small OB vehicle with sound, vision etc in one
vehicle was parked nearby and an experimental trailer mounted satellite
terminal.

It all very interesting and we got a couple of meals from the location
catering people.

They put a camera near for general views of Ben Nevis but had loads of
intereference from our Band I transmitter. They could not understand
this because they test everything at Brookmans Park and Crystal Palace.
We explained that BP andCP might run a lot more power but the antenna
are much higher, our Band I antenna was about 90 ft agl.

So we told them to let us know when they were going to use that camera
and we would reducepower, we actually knocked off the amplifiers briefly.

When they had finished they said they were very grateful for the help.
We told them to put the word around to not going around thanking anyone
senior as it might go down very well.

We did not have BBC2 locally at that time so they said they would fix
something up for us. A bit later one of their riggers brought a studio
quality monitor into our workshop with several drums of cable. We asked
why so many - they had given us a main and reserve feed!

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<6hRtWPCGm$ukFwvl@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8593&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8593

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 16:45:10 +0100
 by: tony sayer - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:45 UTC

In article <u9gsok$3s0ub$1@dont-email.me>, Woody
<harrogate3@ntlworld.com> scribeth thus
>On Sat 22/07/2023 16:15, tony sayer wrote:
>> In article <qa-dnX8z1ri7fib5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
>> <me@privacy.net> scribeth thus
>>>
>>> My car, or maybe it was the one before it, was prone to picking up 2G
>>> mobile phone "galloping horses" through the radio speakers even with the
>>> radio turned off. But maybe the on/off switch just turned off the
>>> display and front panel, and muted the RF detector input, and the
>>> amplifier was permanently powered.
>>>
>>> These days, "galloping horses" are like white dogshit: remembered but
>>> not encountered for yonks.
>>

>> We used to get a lot of problems with PMR breakthrough in cars electric
>> windows would go up and down etc!
>>
>> Worst one was the old police Volvo's 144 model IIRC it seemed the
>> electronic fuel injection would cause the engine to stall when the radio
>> was transmitting!...
>>
>Not quite Tony - I remember that one distinctly.
>The Volvo 144's had the first ever electronic (i.e. transistor switched)
>ignition. If the radio (Pye Vanguard of course on 79MHz-ish) transmitted
>the car speed dropped by almost exactly 30mph consistently.
>The lads at Pye Cambridge Service at Arbury Road cured it with some ease
>- they wrapped the 'electronic ignition' plastic box in (grounded)
>cooking foil. 100% instant cure!

I indeed thank my noble friend from 'opp North:).

Who will I'm sure admit this was a long time ago now and the memory?,
well thats what we read in the Cambridge even news IIRC!...
--
Tony Sayer

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<DP6dne27LN5_nSH5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8594&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8594

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 17:16:32 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 16:16 UTC

On 22/07/2023 16:31, Woody wrote:
> The lads at Pye Cambridge Service at Arbury Road cured it with some ease
> - they wrapped the 'electronic ignition' plastic box in (grounded)
> cooking foil. 100% instant cure!

I wonder whether a similar might worked with the cameras on the
Falklands warships - wrap camera (except lens) in aluminium foil
connected to ship's metal structure (ie earthed/'watered' hull).

I'm sure it would have been one of the first bodges that the cameramen
would have tried, so I suppose it didn't work. Or maybe what we saw was
*after* that bodge, and things were even worse without it ;-)

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<5ac809c72acharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8595&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8595

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 23 16:30:02 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: charles - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 16:30 UTC

In article <6hRtWPCGm$ukFwvl@bancom.co.uk>, tony sayer <tony@bancom.co.uk>
wrote:
> In article <u9gsok$3s0ub$1@dont-email.me>, Woody
> <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> scribeth thus
> >On Sat 22/07/2023 16:15, tony sayer wrote:
> >> In article <qa-dnX8z1ri7fib5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
> >> <me@privacy.net> scribeth thus

> >> We used to get a lot of problems with PMR breakthrough in cars
> >> electric windows would go up and down etc!
> >>
> >> Worst one was the old police Volvo's 144 model IIRC it seemed the
> >> electronic fuel injection would cause the engine to stall when the
> >> radio was transmitting!...
> >>
> >Not quite Tony - I remember that one distinctly. The Volvo 144's had the
> >first ever electronic (i.e. transistor switched) ignition. If the radio
> >(Pye Vanguard of course on 79MHz-ish) transmitted the car speed dropped
> >by almost exactly 30mph consistently. The lads at Pye Cambridge Service
> >at Arbury Road cured it with some ease - they wrapped the 'electronic
> >ignition' plastic box in (grounded) cooking foil. 100% instant cure!
> >

> I indeed thank my noble friend from 'opp North:).

> Who will I'm sure admit this was a long time ago now and the memory?,
> well thats what we read in the Cambridge even news IIRC!...

Cambridge Evening News? That brings back memories from 1962. Look in the
archives

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<1qea6s8.av88be1pe27ogN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8596&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8596

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 17:52:02 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 16:52 UTC

tony sayer <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <u9gc08$3pd6l$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> scribeth thus
> >I'm sure we tried that as well. It worked on a tape recorder, but not on
> >other things. Indeed, those with long memories will recall the Sinclair IC12
> >amplifier chips. I built a couple of these for stereo in my little bedroom
> >when I was younger. They persistently picked up radar pulses from the
> >industrial estate down the road. Scanning for these put them in between band
> >4 and 5 where videos used to live as well. Nothing else was picked up. I had
> >to replace one due to a short in the speaker blowing it up and it was then
> >made by Texas and still had the same problem, but later on making the power
> >section use ILP modules got rid of it. One has to imagine that the IC was i
> >n fact a glorified op amp of course, and had many more transistors in a very
> >small area than you needed for the gain you used, so many more chances to
> >pick up crud.
> > Brian
> >

> You were very lucky if the bloody things worked anyway, piles of the
> proverbial poo!..
>
> Forever taking the bloody things X-20 was it down to their place in
> Fitzroy street!.
>
> Bloke there let on he'd be buying the rejects from Newmarket transistors
> on the cheap!

I also heard that. A friend of mine briefly worked for Sinclair and
told me that was what he did.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<1qea6vu.1wxcv96150ruyoN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8597&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8597

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 17:52:02 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 16:52 UTC

NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

[...]
> These days, "galloping horses" are like white dogshit: remembered but
> not encountered for yonks.

I don't remember white dog shit - but that's probably because I have a
terrible memory for faeces.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<u9h6jd$3tgcn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8600&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8600

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 19:19:25 +0100
 by: Woody - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 18:19 UTC

On Sat 22/07/2023 16:45, tony sayer wrote:
> In article <u9gsok$3s0ub$1@dont-email.me>, Woody
> <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> scribeth thus
>> On Sat 22/07/2023 16:15, tony sayer wrote:
>>> In article <qa-dnX8z1ri7fib5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
>>> <me@privacy.net> scribeth thus

>>> We used to get a lot of problems with PMR breakthrough in cars electric
>>> windows would go up and down etc!
>>>
>>> Worst one was the old police Volvo's 144 model IIRC it seemed the
>>> electronic fuel injection would cause the engine to stall when the radio
>>> was transmitting!...
>>>
>> Not quite Tony - I remember that one distinctly.
>> The Volvo 144's had the first ever electronic (i.e. transistor switched)
>> ignition. If the radio (Pye Vanguard of course on 79MHz-ish) transmitted
>> the car speed dropped by almost exactly 30mph consistently.
>> The lads at Pye Cambridge Service at Arbury Road cured it with some ease
>> - they wrapped the 'electronic ignition' plastic box in (grounded)
>> cooking foil. 100% instant cure!
>>

> I indeed thank my noble friend from 'opp North:).
>
> Who will I'm sure admit this was a long time ago now and the memory?,
> well thats what we read in the Cambridge even news IIRC!...

IIRC I was at the Apprentice Training Centre on the same site at the
time (so 1969-1970,) and one of my trainee colleagues knew the 'Depot'
(as we knew them) Senior Engineer - they were both radio amateurs - so
we got to know about it!

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<MDiVIC18CCvkFwyI@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8601&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8601

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 19:32:28 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 18:32 UTC

In message <1qea6vu.1wxcv96150ruyoN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> at
Sat, 22 Jul 2023 17:52:02, Liz Tuddenham
<liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> writes
>NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>[...]
>> These days, "galloping horses" are like white dogshit: remembered but
>> not encountered for yonks.
>
>I don't remember white dog shit - but that's probably because I have a
>terrible memory for faeces.

GROAN! Excellent.

(Actually, I was thinking even non-white is somewhat rare these days: I
can only presume the social pressure on owners has actually started to
work.)

Never make the same mistake twice...there are so many new ones to make!

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<PjaVAY1eHCvkFwRA@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8602&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8602

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 19:37:18 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 18:37 UTC

In message <1qea6s8.av88be1pe27ogN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> at
Sat, 22 Jul 2023 17:52:02, Liz Tuddenham
<liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> writes
>tony sayer <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In article <u9gc08$3pd6l$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
>> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> scribeth thus
>> >I'm sure we tried that as well. It worked on a tape recorder, but not on
>> >other things. Indeed, those with long memories will recall the Sinclair IC12
[]
>> Bloke there let on he'd be buying the rejects from Newmarket transistors
>> on the cheap!
>
>I also heard that. A friend of mine briefly worked for Sinclair and
>told me that was what he did.

Conversely, the version of the story _I_ heard was that the transistors
were designed for digital application, so were supposed to have
extremely high gain - either on or off. The ones rejected had a slope
that was further from the vertical, and thus _more_ suited for audio
applications. So yes, he was buying "rejects", but rejects from ones
intended for digital use, not rejects from ones designed as audio
devices in the first place.

Never make the same mistake twice...there are so many new ones to make!

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<u9h8vv$3tlcm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8603&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8603

From: nomail@home.org (The Other John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 19:00:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: The Other John - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 19:00 UTC

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:18:44 +0100, NY wrote:

> The ultimate *visible* RFI was on the news reports from the warships in
> the Falklands War. To begin with, the reports were always preceded by an
> apology for the poor picture quality - because the ship's rotating radar
> pulse stomped a great big noise bar over the picture every couple of
> seconds. Of course film would have been immune but there would have been
> the "little" problem of taking a film-processing system and telecine ;-)

Sometime around the late '60s or early 70s I was recording on 2" quad VTR
for ABC of America the arrival of Richard Nixon at Heathrow from a feed of
a BBC OB unit, but as Air Force One came in to land it's anti-missile
defence electronics completely wiped out the Beeb's microwave link and we
lost the picture.

--
TOJ.

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<5ac81c06facharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8604&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8604

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 23 19:45:02 UTC
 by: charles - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 19:45 UTC

In article <u9h8vv$3tlcm$1@dont-email.me>, The Other John <nomail@home.org>
wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:18:44 +0100, NY wrote:

> > The ultimate *visible* RFI was on the news reports from the warships in
> > the Falklands War. To begin with, the reports were always preceded by
> > an apology for the poor picture quality - because the ship's rotating
> > radar pulse stomped a great big noise bar over the picture every couple
> > of seconds. Of course film would have been immune but there would have
> > been the "little" problem of taking a film-processing system and
> > telecine ;-)

> Sometime around the late '60s or early 70s I was recording on 2" quad VTR
> for ABC of America the arrival of Richard Nixon at Heathrow from a feed
> of a BBC OB unit, but as Air Force One came in to land it's anti-missile
> defence electronics completely wiped out the Beeb's microwave link and
> we lost the picture.

I managed to avoid a RFI problem whm in the early '90s the Russian leader
was due to visit Chequers to meet our PM. The uplink frequency the
Russians wanted to use was slap in the middle of BBC 2 from Oxford - so I
said "no".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té