"Ada is PL/I trying to be Smalltalk. -- Codoso diBlini

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

SubjectAuthor
* Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian Gaff
+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencetony sayer
|+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceAdrian Caspersz
||+- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian Gaff
||`- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencetony sayer
|+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian Gaff
||+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceNY
|||+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencecharles
|||+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceJ. P. Gilliver
|||+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencetony sayer
|||+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceMB
|||+* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceThe Other John
|||+- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceRoderick Stewart
|||`- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian Gaff
||`* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencetony sayer
|| `* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceLiz Tuddenham
||  `- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceJ. P. Gilliver
|`* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceNY
| +* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencetony sayer
| |`* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceWoody
| | +* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencetony sayer
| | |+- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencecharles
| | |`- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceWoody
| | `* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceNY
| |  `- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian
| `* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceLiz Tuddenham
|  `- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceJ. P. Gilliver
`* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferencejon
 +- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian Gaff
 `* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceJ. P. Gilliver
  `* Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceJohn Williamson
   `- Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interferenceBrian Gaff

Pages:1234
Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<u9udn7$1uoss$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8685&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8685

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 19:40:39 +0100
<u9nnp6$10tl6$1@dont-email.me> <u9nvsv$12gb9$1@dont-email.me>
<u9qfq8$1e4r0$2@dont-email.me> <u9qtdm$1fit9$1@dont-email.me>
<tMg4NvA6ZSwkFwui@bancom.co.uk> <kukPjzebWVwkFw9J@255soft.uk>
<u9tg7l$1rt69$1@dont-email.me> <u9tjgf$1s521$1@dont-email.me>
<IuvETNr0lowkFwIy@255soft.uk>
 by: MB - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 18:40 UTC

On 27/07/2023 16:12, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> But should something break, the
> chambers inside the mountain would fill with water_very_ fast, hence
> the need for a swift escape.

We were told that someone had worked out how quickly it would fill with
water is a pipe failed (they are *BIG* pipes!).

There would be no hope of escape, it would fill much too fast.

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<u9umgo$1vmho$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8691&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8691

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 22:10:47 +0100
<u9nnp6$10tl6$1@dont-email.me> <u9nvsv$12gb9$1@dont-email.me>
<u9qfq8$1e4r0$2@dont-email.me> <u9qtdm$1fit9$1@dont-email.me>
<tMg4NvA6ZSwkFwui@bancom.co.uk> <kukPjzebWVwkFw9J@255soft.uk>
<u9tg7l$1rt69$1@dont-email.me> <u9tjgf$1s521$1@dont-email.me>
<IuvETNr0lowkFwIy@255soft.uk> <u9udn7$1uoss$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Woody - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 21:10 UTC

On Thu 27/07/2023 19:40, MB wrote:
> On 27/07/2023 16:12, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> But should something break, the
>> chambers inside the mountain would fill with water_very_  fast, hence
>> the need for a swift escape.
>

> We were told that someone had worked out how quickly it would fill with
> water is a pipe failed (they are *BIG* pipes!).
>
> There would be no hope of escape, it would fill much too fast.

In theory if all six units were spinning on air (as they would be just
before the adverts in the latest James Bond film being shown on TV and a
cuppa would be needed) they could go from 0 to 1320MW in 10.4 seconds.
Conversely a demand stop would take them from 1320MW to zero in a little
over 4 seconds BUT the catch pond (about the size of the old Wembley
Stadium) at the top of the main 525ft drop shaft would fill in less than
10 seconds from a shaft of water 30m across and theoretically over 50m
high - but I don't think they ever tried it. The pipes feeding the units
were 2m diameter with a valve like a perforated golf ball. At full gen
the water would run through those valves at something over 1000psi and
85000 gallons a second.

The best bit? It was designed to run on demand for typically about 15-30
minutes (maximum to drain Marchlyn Mawr - the header tank if you like -
was reckoned to be about 90 mins) whilst gas turbines (around 4 minutes)
or nuclear (about 10 minutes) came on line. The place was costed to
build as (IMSMC) about £40m - it actually cost £484m! However when they
started using it they found it was so efficient they could let it run
for most of the load shedding period. Doing so it cost something like 20
months to pay for itself!!!

If you have a look at Google sky view and follow the entry road you will
see the south facing entrance tunnel (green spot on it). Then zoom out
scan away NE to find Marchlyn Mawr. If you take a diagonal line SW from
MM and zoom in a bit you will eventually see the surge pond - long oval
with the circular surge shaft in the centre - and if you zoom in a bit
more following the same line you will see another circular object which
has a grille on the top. If the station flooded there was a vertical
ladder underneath this last object, the top of which was about 30ft
below the grille but the platform atop the ladder would have been about
6ft above the highest water level!

They generate at 11KV and about 18500A but there is a 275KV sub-station
inside the mountain which takes the power away in water-cooled pipes
about 9 miles before going overhead. The whole place can be controlled
locally by three shift staff, or remotely from Connah's Quay on Deeside.

It is now known as 'Electric Mountain.' A TV (slightly
anti-nuclear/Thatcher) drama called Edge of Darkness starring Bob Peck
had large sections (allegedly Aldermaston) filmed inside Dinorwic in
1985. It was repeated (for the first time?) earlier this year.

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<kigkh8Fj40jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8692&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8692

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 02:38:48 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 01:38 UTC

On 23/07/2023 11:29, Brian Gaff wrote:
192MHz was a Russian space comms frequency.
I remember a long time ago hearing very occasional weak Russian sounding
stuff on 143.625MHz.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<kigkosFj40jU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8693&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8693

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 02:42:52 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 01:42 UTC

On 25/07/2023 16:14, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> There used to be studio talkback on narrow-band FM from the Mendip
> transmitter mast, presumably for the benefit of roving OB units. It was
> entertaining listening to the rehearsals for the evening local
> television news - especially when a lady announcer's mic became
> unclipped and it had to be retrieved.
>
> I seem to remember the transmission was around 175 Mc/s, but I may be
> mistaken.

When on the South coast or Isle of Wight we could sometimes hear the
same kind of thing for BBC South on, if I remember correctly exactly 141MHz.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<8whp065M8ywkFwPQ@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8694&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8694

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 03:59:24 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
<u9nnp6$10tl6$1@dont-email.me> <u9nvsv$12gb9$1@dont-email.me>
<u9qfq8$1e4r0$2@dont-email.me> <u9qtdm$1fit9$1@dont-email.me>
<tMg4NvA6ZSwkFwui@bancom.co.uk> <kukPjzebWVwkFw9J@255soft.uk>
<u9tg7l$1rt69$1@dont-email.me> <u9tjgf$1s521$1@dont-email.me>
<IuvETNr0lowkFwIy@255soft.uk> <u9udn7$1uoss$2@dont-email.me>
<u9umgo$1vmho$1@dont-email.me>
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 02:59 UTC

In message <u9umgo$1vmho$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 27 Jul 2023 22:10:47,
Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> writes
>On Thu 27/07/2023 19:40, MB wrote:
>> On 27/07/2023 16:12, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> But should something break, the
>>> chambers inside the mountain would fill with water_very_  fast, hence
>>> the need for a swift escape.
>> We were told that someone had worked out how quickly it would fill
>>with water is a pipe failed (they are *BIG* pipes!).
>> There would be no hope of escape, it would fill much too fast.
>>

>In theory if all six units were spinning on air (as they would be just
>before the adverts in the latest James Bond film being shown on TV and
>a cuppa would be needed) they could go from 0 to 1320MW in 10.4
>seconds. Conversely a demand stop would take them from 1320MW to zero
>in a little over 4 seconds BUT the catch pond (about the size of the
>old Wembley Stadium) at the top of the main 525ft drop shaft would fill
>in less than 10 seconds from a shaft of water 30m across and
>theoretically over 50m high - but I don't think they ever tried it. The
[]
>They generate at 11KV and about 18500A but there is a 275KV sub-station
>inside the mountain which takes the power away in water-cooled pipes
>about 9 miles before going overhead. The whole place can be controlled
>locally by three shift staff, or remotely from Connah's Quay on Deeside.

It kept - or at least helped - the company I worked for briefly (about
1979-'82 I think), Reyrolle Switchgear, in business for some years.

>It is now known as 'Electric Mountain.' A TV (slightly
>anti-nuclear/Thatcher) drama called Edge of Darkness starring Bob Peck
>had large sections (allegedly Aldermaston) filmed inside Dinorwic in
>1985. It was repeated (for the first time?) earlier this year.

Is it open to the public? Sounds like it'd be quite interesting to visit
(for those of us of an engineering bent).

"If even one person" arguments allow the perfect to become the enemy of the
good, and thus they tend to cause more harm than good.
- Jimmy Akins quoted by Scott Adams, 2015-5-5

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<u9vn6f$269r0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8695&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8695

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 07:28:31 +0100
<u9nnp6$10tl6$1@dont-email.me> <u9nvsv$12gb9$1@dont-email.me>
<u9qfq8$1e4r0$2@dont-email.me> <u9qtdm$1fit9$1@dont-email.me>
<tMg4NvA6ZSwkFwui@bancom.co.uk> <kukPjzebWVwkFw9J@255soft.uk>
<u9tg7l$1rt69$1@dont-email.me> <u9tjgf$1s521$1@dont-email.me>
<IuvETNr0lowkFwIy@255soft.uk> <u9udn7$1uoss$2@dont-email.me>
<u9umgo$1vmho$1@dont-email.me> <8whp065M8ywkFwPQ@255soft.uk>
 by: MB - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 06:28 UTC

On 28/07/2023 03:59, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> Is it open to the public? Sounds like it'd be quite interesting to visit
> (for those of us of an engineering bent).

Cruachan has a visitor centre with exhibition and cafe - with Pine
Martens regularly seen outside eating scraps.

You can then be taken to a viewing gallery at the end of the tunnel
where you can see the generators. We got to into the generator hall and
control room - fortunately none were running so it was quiet!

You used to be able to borrow the gate key to drive up to the dam but
too many people did not return the kay so they stopped that. We had a
key for access to a site up there so got to drive over the dam.

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<u9vne1$269r0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8696&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8696

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 07:32:33 +0100
 by: MB - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 06:32 UTC

On 28/07/2023 02:42, Brian Gregory wrote:
> When on the South coast or Isle of Wight we could sometimes hear the
> same kind of thing for BBC South on, if I remember correctly exactly 141MHz.

Transmitter Group had a channel on 141 and think possibly other people,
mainly OBs.

I have a photograph that I took during the Investiture of Charlie, OBs
had a big group of RTs including a channel that was kept in reserve so
the nationalists would not know it and so be able to monitor / jam.

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<5acaf3af67charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8701&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8701

Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
References: <u987or$22saf$1@dont-email.me> <6Zbt4VAsAnukFwsG@bancom.co.uk> <u9gc08$3pd6l$1@dont-email.me> <4didnT9jlt_YeCb5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <5ac8019154charles@candehope.me.uk> <21db2bb1-d8cc-4c20-92ef-190134546312n@googlegroups.com> <u9nnp6$10tl6$1@dont-email.me> <u9nvsv$12gb9$1@dont-email.me> <u9qfq8$1e4r0$2@dont-email.me> <u9qtdm$1fit9$1@dont-email.me> <tMg4NvA6ZSwkFwui@bancom.co.uk> <kukPjzebWVwkFw9J@255soft.uk> <u9tg7l$1rt69$1@dont-email.me> <u9tjgf$1s521$1@dont-email.me> <IuvETNr0lowkFwIy@255soft.uk> <u9udn7$1uoss$2@dont-email.me> <u9umgo$1vmho$1@dont-email.me> <8whp065M8ywkFwPQ@255soft.uk> <u9vn6f$269r0$1@dont-email.me>
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 23 08:15:02 UTC
 by: charles - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 08:15 UTC

In article <u9vn6f$269r0$1@dont-email.me>,
MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 28/07/2023 03:59, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> > Is it open to the public? Sounds like it'd be quite interesting to visit
> > (for those of us of an engineering bent).

> Cruachan has a visitor centre with exhibition and cafe - with Pine
> Martens regularly seen outside eating scraps.

> You can then be taken to a viewing gallery at the end of the tunnel
> where you can see the generators. We got to into the generator hall and
> control room - fortunately none were running so it was quiet!

> You used to be able to borrow the gate key to drive up to the dam but
> too many people did not return the kay so they stopped that. We had a
> key for access to a site up there so got to drive over the dam.

Just after the Torosay transmitter came on air I was in the area
carryingout a survey and I stopped at Cruachan, which was new. I got a
look round - free.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<ua0277$279jm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8706&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8706

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 10:36:38 +0100
<u9nnp6$10tl6$1@dont-email.me> <u9nvsv$12gb9$1@dont-email.me>
<u9qfq8$1e4r0$2@dont-email.me> <u9qtdm$1fit9$1@dont-email.me>
<tMg4NvA6ZSwkFwui@bancom.co.uk> <kukPjzebWVwkFw9J@255soft.uk>
<u9tg7l$1rt69$1@dont-email.me> <u9tjgf$1s521$1@dont-email.me>
<IuvETNr0lowkFwIy@255soft.uk> <u9udn7$1uoss$2@dont-email.me>
<u9umgo$1vmho$1@dont-email.me> <8whp065M8ywkFwPQ@255soft.uk>
<u9vn6f$269r0$1@dont-email.me> <5acaf3af67charles@candehope.me.uk>
 by: MB - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 09:36 UTC

On 28/07/2023 09:15, charles wrote:
> Just after the Torosay transmitter came on air I was in the area
> carryingout a survey and I stopped at Cruachan, which was new. I got a
> look round - free.

It can be a handy place for a coffee in the cafe because not much along
there.

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<5acafe48d3charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8707&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8707

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 23 10:00:02 UTC
References: <u987or$22saf$1@dont-email.me> <6Zbt4VAsAnukFwsG@bancom.co.uk> <u9gc08$3pd6l$1@dont-email.me> <4didnT9jlt_YeCb5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <5ac8019154charles@candehope.me.uk> <21db2bb1-d8cc-4c20-92ef-190134546312n@googlegroups.com> <u9nnp6$10tl6$1@dont-email.me> <u9nvsv$12gb9$1@dont-email.me> <u9qfq8$1e4r0$2@dont-email.me> <u9qtdm$1fit9$1@dont-email.me> <tMg4NvA6ZSwkFwui@bancom.co.uk> <kukPjzebWVwkFw9J@255soft.uk> <u9tg7l$1rt69$1@dont-email.me> <u9tjgf$1s521$1@dont-email.me> <IuvETNr0lowkFwIy@255soft.uk> <u9udn7$1uoss$2@dont-email.me> <u9umgo$1vmho$1@dont-email.me> <8whp065M8ywkFwPQ@255soft.uk> <u9vn6f$269r0$1@dont-email.me> <5acaf3af67charles@candehope.me.uk> <ua0277$279jm$2@dont-email.me>
 by: charles - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 10:00 UTC

In article <ua0277$279jm$2@dont-email.me>,
MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 28/07/2023 09:15, charles wrote:
> > Just after the Torosay transmitter came on air I was in the area
> > carryingout a survey and I stopped at Cruachan, which was new. I got a
> > look round - free.

> It can be a handy place for a coffee in the cafe because not much along
> there.

Indeed so. I was only a few miles away (Dalmally) last month

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<slrnuc8m3e.18k4.abuse@news.pr.network>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8713&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8713

From: abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78 (Paul Ratcliffe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 00:08:15 GMT
Sender: abuse@win7.lan
 by: Paul Ratcliffe - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 00:08 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 16:14:55 +0100, Liz Tuddenham
<liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:

> There used to be studio talkback on narrow-band FM from the Mendip
> transmitter mast, presumably for the benefit of roving OB units.

Yes, that was ours.

> It was entertaining listening to the rehearsals for the evening local
> television news - especially when a lady announcer's mic became
> unclipped and it had to be retrieved.

Was it?

> I seem to remember the transmission was around 175 Mc/s, but I may be
> mistaken.

Ch 1 on 141.375 MHz was the one from Mendip. I can't remember the
exact frequency of Ch 2 which was used from other locations, but it was
in the same ball-park.

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<1qemgh7.sur19psnp4aaN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8721&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8721

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:39:02 +0100
References: <u987or$22saf$1@dont-email.me> <6Zbt4VAsAnukFwsG@bancom.co.uk> <u9gc08$3pd6l$1@dont-email.me> <4didnT9jlt_YeCb5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <u9h8vv$3tlcm$1@dont-email.me> <5ac81c06facharles@candehope.me.uk> <d171a1a7-b8df-423c-84f6-59b80e040531n@googlegroups.com> <772vbi180b9g8nbr0nva482e5mtap5flcu@4ax.com> <1qefm7n.1snsijs1hdxkw0N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> <slrnuc8m3e.18k4.abuse@news.pr.network>
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 13:39 UTC

Paul Ratcliffe <abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 16:14:55 +0100, Liz Tuddenham
> <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > There used to be studio talkback on narrow-band FM from the Mendip
> > transmitter mast, presumably for the benefit of roving OB units.
>
> Yes, that was ours.

You had an unofficial fan club.

> > It was entertaining listening to the rehearsals for the evening local
> > television news - especially when a lady announcer's mic became
> > unclipped and it had to be retrieved.
>
> Was it?

She retrived it herself despite the gallant offers of help from a
co-presenter.

> > I seem to remember the transmission was around 175 Mc/s, but I may be
> > mistaken.
>
> Ch 1 on 141.375 MHz was the one from Mendip. I can't remember the
> exact frequency of Ch 2 which was used from other locations, but it was
> in the same ball-park.

Thanks, I wasn't sure about that.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<kikn4kF896mU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8723&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8723

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:47:48 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:47 UTC

Sorry. Just noticed I messed up the quoting on that.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<ua3aa9$2l413$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8724&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8724

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 16:13:12 +0100
 by: MB - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:13 UTC

On 29/07/2023 01:08, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
> Ch 1 on 141.375 MHz was the one from Mendip. I can't remember the exact
> frequency of Ch 2 which was used from other locations, but it was in the
> same ball-park.

Could it have been that the mobile channels were around 141 MHz and 170
MHz was used for linking back to the base?

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<ua3cko$2lcrq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8726&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8726

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 16:52:55 +0100
 by: Woody - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:52 UTC

On Sat 29/07/2023 16:13, MB wrote:
> On 29/07/2023 01:08, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
>> Ch 1 on 141.375 MHz was the one from Mendip. I can't remember the
>> exact frequency of Ch 2 which was used from other locations, but it
>> was in the same ball-park.
>

> Could it have been that the mobile channels were around 141 MHz and 170
> MHz was used for linking back to the base?

IMSMC the long range radio mics as used at, for example, the Grand
National, were around 140-141MHz as noted. Some frequencies in Band IV
and later Band V were also used. Studio radio mics were mostly about
174MHz but when Band IV became available for mobile radio and data they
were shifted onto TV channel 69 (about 860MHz) where they remain to this
day (I think). Interesting that the UK UHF band was 21-69 but whilst 21
was used (used even more now with DTTV) 69 was never allocated.

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<kipariFb32U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8741&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8741

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 09:48:50 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 08:48 UTC

On 29/07/2023 16:52, Woody wrote:
> On Sat 29/07/2023 16:13, MB wrote:
>> On 29/07/2023 01:08, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
>>> Ch 1 on 141.375 MHz was the one from Mendip. I can't remember the
>>> exact frequency of Ch 2 which was used from other locations, but it
>>> was in the same ball-park.
>>

>> Could it have been that the mobile channels were around 141 MHz and
>> 170 MHz was used for linking back to the base?
>>

> IMSMC the long range radio mics as used at, for example, the Grand
> National, were around 140-141MHz as noted. Some frequencies in Band IV
> and later Band V were also used. Studio radio mics were mostly about
> 174MHz but when Band IV became available for mobile radio and data
> they were shifted onto TV channel 69 (about 860MHz) where they remain
> to this day (I think). Interesting that the UK UHF band was 21-69 but
> whilst 21 was used (used even more now with DTTV) 69 was never allocated.

The 141 MHz Rx/Tx at Mendip under discussion was radio talkback, (to
allow off air comms between the studio, and the director and presenters
on site at the OB, nothing to do with radio mics. A presenter will often
wear two devices, radio talkback (normally for them rx only to hear the
director etc) and radio mic, tx only (for their voice to be heard on
air, and obviously inside the truck, and back at the studio) All that
said, the body worn talkback kit will be low power, and only Rx'ing from
the OB Truck. The radio talkback to and from the studio (via Mendip in
this case) was/still is a different higher power device, using dipoles
or a yagi on the roof of the truck.

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<ua8d8d$39k9r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8745&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8745

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:34:05 +0100
 by: MB - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:34 UTC

On 31/07/2023 09:48, Mark Carver wrote:
> The 141 MHz Rx/Tx at Mendip under discussion was radio talkback, (to
> allow off air comms between the studio, and the director and presenters
> on site at the OB, nothing to do with radio mics. A presenter will often
> wear two devices, radio talkback (normally for them rx only to hear the
> director etc) and radio mic, tx only (for their voice to be heard on
> air, and obviously inside the truck, and back at the studio) All that
> said, the body worn talkback kit will be low power, and only Rx'ing from
> the OB Truck. The radio talkback to and from the studio (via Mendip in
> this case) was/still is a different higher power device, using dipoles
> or a yagi on the roof of the truck.

Just seemed a possibility, we had a 141 MHz base station liked to a 47
MHz base station with talkthrough. Worked very well with good range at
least when there were no East European fishing boats coming through on
Sporadic E :-)

Re: Talking of analogue devices and radio interference

<slrnui2hlm.pa8.abuse@news.pr.network>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9322&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9322

From: abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78 (Paul Ratcliffe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 11:53:27 GMT
Sender: abuse@win7.lan
 by: Paul Ratcliffe - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 11:53 UTC

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:39:02 +0100, Liz Tuddenham
<liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:

>> Ch 1 on 141.375 MHz was the one from Mendip. I can't remember the
>> exact frequency of Ch 2 which was used from other locations, but it was
>> in the same ball-park.
>
> Thanks, I wasn't sure about that.

I've found it during a clear out - 141.4625 MHz.
I believe we still pay the licence for that, but it is hardly used
and there was talk of ceasing it.

Local radio (round here anyway) used to use 141.24375, .30625 and .25635
but they are long gone.