Given sufficient time, what you put off doing today will get done by itself.

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Full strength but near-zero quality?

SubjectAuthor
* Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver
+* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Andy Burns
|+* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Mark Carver
||`* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Andy Burns
|| +* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Scott
|| |+* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?JMB99
|| |+- Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Mark Carver
|| |`* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Paul Ratcliffe
|| | +* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?JMB99
|| | `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Mark Carver
|| |  `- Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Paul Ratcliffe
|| `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver
||  `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?NY
||   `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Mark Carver
||    `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver
||     `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?NY
||      `- Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver
|`* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Brian Gaff
| `- Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver
`* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Brian Gaff
 `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver
  `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Paul Ratcliffe
   `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Mark Carver
    `- Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver

Pages:12
Full strength but near-zero quality?

<7Ar5KwK3FzVlFwQN@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9651&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9651

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 09:25:11 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Full strength but near-zero quality?
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 09:25 UTC

I'm on the Heathfield transmitter. I have two receivers, fed from the
same distribution amplifier. All the channels each can get are solid.

I noticed one was getting a channel the other wasn't, so looked into it:
it is a channel on multiplex "BBC B". On the set that isn't, I did a
manual retune on all six multiplexes - all show full signal strength,
but BBC B only shows a trace of signal quality. (I presume the other
channels on that multiplex are ones I'd not watch so hadn't noticed.)
The set does not find anything on that mux.

Any idea what gives? The sets are a Polaroid HD box, which gets all
channels, and a Panasonic TX-L22X20B, on which the mux (channel 47)
shows as above. (Obviously the latter doesn't get HD channels.)

My first thought was that there's some local interference in that
frequency area - but, if that was the case, surely it'd knock out that
mux on both sets, as they're fed from the same aerial and dist. amp?

I've just checked, and it doesn't get any other BBC B mux channel either
- or rather, _the_ other one. I see BBC B carries mostly the HD channels
- the only ones not shown as HD are 46 5SELECT and 66 TBN UK. Is it
perhaps that these, though I'd assumed SD, are actually T2 encoded,
which would explain why the Panasonic isn't seeing them? I thought SD
channels being T2 encoded stopped when TPTV came onto T1.

(Is it even possible for a mux to include T2 and T1 channels, or are
they mutually exclusive?)

As the man said when confronted by a large dinner salad, "This isn't food.
This is what food eats."

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<krortaF40d3U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9652&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9652

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:00:10 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:00 UTC

J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> Is it even possible for a mux to include T2 and T1 channels, or are they
> mutually exclusive?

A mux is either entirely -T1 or entirely -T2, the channels within them
can be HD,SD,radio,mheg etc.

Interference can't knock-out some logical channels within a mux, if any
are missing it's down to lack of capabilities of the receiver (e.g. for
HD as you are aware).

A HD capable T2 receiver should see

46 5SELECT
66 TBN UK
101 BBC ONE HD
102 BBC TWO HD
103 ITV1 HD
104 S4C HD
105 Channel 5 HD
106 BBC Scotland HD
107 BBC Three HD
108 BBC FOUR HD
110 Channel 4 HD
204 CBBC HD
205 CBeebies HD

depending on time of day three/four or cbbc/cbeebies will be active

I'm not sure if the following channels (possibly internet streamed) are
cruft that is coming, or cruft that's gone?

That's Comedy
That's Teeny
That's Cinema
brands.tv

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<krot2qF5tlsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9653&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9653

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:20:09 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:20 UTC

On 17/11/2023 10:00, Andy Burns wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
>> Is it even possible for a mux to include T2 and T1 channels, or are
>> they mutually exclusive?
>
> A mux is either entirely -T1 or entirely -T2, the channels within them
> can be HD,SD,radio,mheg etc.

Yes, DVB-T1/T2 are modulation schemes, they don't care about programme
stream forms or their video resolution that are contained within. You
can carry any type of channel, within either modulation scheme.

A T1 receiver will simply not 'see' a T2 mux (as JPG has discovered)

Not to be confused with DAB and DAB+. The two types of DAB format, can
(and do) co-exist with the same DAB mux. If you use a DAB radio, it will
normally display the presence of any DAB+ station, but you just get
silent audio.

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<krotvpF40d3U8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9654&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9654

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:35:37 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:35 UTC

Mark Carver wrote:

> A T1 receiver will simply not 'see' a T2 mux (as JPG has discovered)

Slightly confusing that he says one receiver is
"getting a channel the other wasn't"
rather than getting a whole extra mux worth of channels ...

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<cdkeli9lmcjouroemeoq9206932po2m77d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9655&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9655

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:44:08 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:44 UTC

On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:35:37 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Mark Carver wrote:
>
>> A T1 receiver will simply not 'see' a T2 mux (as JPG has discovered)
>
>Slightly confusing that he says one receiver is
>"getting a channel the other wasn't"
>rather than getting a whole extra mux worth of channels ...

When I stayed recently at a Premier Inn (in Salford), BBC One HD had
no sound but the other HD channels did. BBC One SD had sound.

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<uj7k6d$2ph50$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9656&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9656

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:52:45 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:52 UTC

On 17/11/2023 11:44, Scott wrote:
> When I stayed recently at a Premier Inn (in Salford), BBC One HD had
> no sound but the other HD channels did. BBC One SD had sound.

I often find on my TV set (Panasonic) that some channels (always the
same ones I think, not all of them) will have no sound. I go up a
channel then back down and all OK.

Presumably a 'feature' of my TV set,

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<2flelipbaqkrgus4jnb6csgklt97tfh8cm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9657&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9657

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 12:02:13 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 12:02 UTC

On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:52:45 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 17/11/2023 11:44, Scott wrote:
>> When I stayed recently at a Premier Inn (in Salford), BBC One HD had
>> no sound but the other HD channels did. BBC One SD had sound.
>

>I often find on my TV set (Panasonic) that some channels (always the
>same ones I think, not all of them) will have no sound. I go up a
>channel then back down and all OK.
>
>Presumably a 'feature' of my TV set,

I wondered if it could have anything to do with the English regional
stations becoming available on HD. Was a rescan recommended for this?
I assume Premier has some sort of distribution system.

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<krp3oqF5tlsU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9658&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9658

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 12:14:17 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 12:14 UTC

On 17/11/2023 11:44, Scott wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:35:37 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Mark Carver wrote:
>>
>>> A T1 receiver will simply not 'see' a T2 mux (as JPG has discovered)
>>
>> Slightly confusing that he says one receiver is
>> "getting a channel the other wasn't"
>> rather than getting a whole extra mux worth of channels ...
>>
> When I stayed recently at a Premier Inn (in Salford), BBC One HD had
> no sound but the other HD channels did. BBC One SD had sound.

Not an uncommon experience. I had the same in a Premier Inn near Gatwick
in September. I mentioned it in another forum, and others have
experienced exactly the same.

My suspicion is, that Prem Inn have not run a rescan on their tellies,
since (in England) BBC 1 HD was regionalised in April. The tellies
(Samsungs in all cases) haven't quite automagically adopted the new
regional versions of BBC 1 HD (which has different PIDs to the old
'England-wide' version)

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<krp3taF5tlrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9659&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9659

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 12:16:41 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 12:16 UTC

On 17/11/2023 11:52, JMB99 wrote:
> On 17/11/2023 11:44, Scott wrote:
>> When I stayed recently at a Premier Inn (in Salford), BBC One HD had
>> no sound but the other HD channels did.  BBC One SD had sound.
>

> I often find on my TV set (Panasonic) that some channels (always the
> same ones I think, not all of them) will have no sound.  I go up a
> channel then back down and all OK.
>
> Presumably a 'feature' of my TV set,

That will be. Our LG Bedroom telly often refuses to produce sound on any
of the HD channels. The only cure is to switch to a DVB T1 mux channel,
and back again, and then all is good.

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<uS5cuwT+A3VlFwzF@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9660&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9660

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 13:53:02 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 13:53 UTC

In message <krotvpF40d3U8@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 17 Nov 2023
10:35:37, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>Mark Carver wrote:
>
>> A T1 receiver will simply not 'see' a T2 mux (as JPG has discovered)

Indeed.

>Slightly confusing that he says one receiver is
>"getting a channel the other wasn't"
>rather than getting a whole extra mux worth of channels ...

I hadn't realised. On looking at the list, I see that that mux only
carries (TV anyway) HD channels and 46 and 66; since 66 is a
god-bothering channel, I'd not have looked at it anyway: nor usually 46
(5SELECT), but there was one prog. that looked as if it might have been
interesting.

So, basically, we _are_ still getting some SD channels on T2 - but only
those two. I had assumed that stopped when Talking Pictures TV managed
to get a T1 slot, presumably desired by them because a lot of their
target audience only have T1 receivers; I _think_ they were the only
SD-on-T2 at that point.

Have the courage to be ordinary - people make themselves so desperately unhappy
trying to be clever and totally original. (Robbie Coltrane, RT 8-14 Nov. 1997.)

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<uj8246$2rt2u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9661&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9661

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 15:50:25 -0000
 by: NY - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 15:50 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote in message
> In message <krotvpF40d3U8@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 17 Nov 2023
> 10:35:37, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>>Mark Carver wrote:
>>
>>> A T1 receiver will simply not 'see' a T2 mux (as JPG has discovered)
>
> Indeed.
>>
>>Slightly confusing that he says one receiver is
>>"getting a channel the other wasn't"
>>rather than getting a whole extra mux worth of channels ...
>>
> I hadn't realised. On looking at the list, I see that that mux only
> carries (TV anyway) HD channels and 46 and 66; since 66 is a god-bothering
> channel, I'd not have looked at it anyway: nor usually 46 (5SELECT), but
> there was one prog. that looked as if it might have been interesting.
>>
> So, basically, we _are_ still getting some SD channels on T2 - but only
> those two. I had assumed that stopped when Talking Pictures TV managed to
> get a T1 slot, presumably desired by them because a lot of their target
> audience only have T1 receivers; I _think_ they were the only SD-on-T2 at
> that point.

I hadn't realised that TPTV had been on PSB3 at one time. I thought they had
been on one of COM7 or COM8, and moved to one of the current muxes some time
before COM7/8 disappeared in a puff of smoke. I wonder whether the move to
T1 was prompted by more of their audience having T1-only receivers or
whether it was because the COM4/5/6 muxes are receivable from more
transmitters than those which used to broadcast COM7/8. If they become even
more succcessful, they may afford to move to PSB1/2/3 which are receivable
even from Freeview Lite relay transmitters.

I *think* there have been some sub-SD (ie 544x576) channels on PSB3 for as
long as I've had T2-capable equipment.

If you are getting the sub-SD channels but not the HD channels on PSB3, then
your TV is capable of receiving T2 but for some reason gets a very poor
signal quality despite strong signal. Silly question: have you tried the
affected TV on the aerial output that normally drives the TV that can get
HD - to rule out one feed from your splitter being corrupted while the other
isn't?

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<krpiejF5tlrU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9662&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9662

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 16:24:50 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 16:24 UTC

On 17/11/2023 15:50, NY wrote:

> If you are getting the sub-SD channels but not the HD channels on PSB3,
> then your TV is capable of receiving T2 but for some reason gets a very
> poor signal quality despite strong signal. Silly question: have you
> tried the affected TV on the aerial output that normally drives the TV
> that can get HD - to rule out one feed from your splitter being
> corrupted while the other isn't?

It won't be any weird RF effect.

I've downloaded the manual, it seems to date from 2010 ish, and the
manual only talks about a T1 tuner.

The OP must have a later version that has a T2 tuner (possibly
half-arsely implemented), but the screen resolution is quoted as only
1366 x 768

I actually wonder if it can support 1920 x 1080 (in order to downscale
for display) So, it may well simply ignore anything it finds at 'HD'
resolutions.

What happens if you force a 1920 x 1080 signal via the HDMI input ?

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<1985216148.721936058.211953.nospam-hillcroft.org.uk.invalid@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9663&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9663

From: nospam@hillcroft.org.uk.invalid (Dave Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: 17 Nov 2023 17:48:18 GMT
 by: Dave Hill - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 17:48 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:52:45 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> On 17/11/2023 11:44, Scott wrote:
>>> When I stayed recently at a Premier Inn (in Salford), BBC One HD had
>>> no sound but the other HD channels did. BBC One SD had sound.
>>

>> I often find on my TV set (Panasonic) that some channels (always the
>> same ones I think, not all of them) will have no sound. I go up a
>> channel then back down and all OK.
>>
>> Presumably a 'feature' of my TV set,
>
> I wondered if it could have anything to do with the English regional
> stations becoming available on HD. Was a rescan recommended for this?
> I assume Premier has some sort of distribution system.

I had the same problem in the Premier Inn I stayed at recently. A re-tune
fixed it and got all the channels up to date.

They don’t have a re-modulation system if that’s what you’re thinking.

ISTR that there was something odd about the way the BBC1 HD changeover was
done - PID wise.

Dave

--
This is a sig-free zone!

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<+sw4xacZq6VlFwia@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9664&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9664

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 18:02:01 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 18:02 UTC

In message <krpiejF5tlrU2@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 17 Nov 2023
16:24:50, Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> writes
>On 17/11/2023 15:50, NY wrote:
>
>> If you are getting the sub-SD channels but not the HD channels on
>>PSB3, then your TV is capable of receiving T2 but for some reason
>>gets a very poor signal quality despite strong signal. Silly
>>question: have you tried the affected TV on the aerial output that
>>normally drives the TV that can get HD - to rule out one feed from
>>your splitter being corrupted while the other isn't?

That would involve too much lugging around! (-:

>It won't be any weird RF effect.
>
>I've downloaded the manual, it seems to date from 2010 ish, and the
>manual only talks about a T1 tuner.
>
>The OP must have a later version that has a T2 tuner (possibly
>half-arsely implemented), but the screen resolution is quoted as only
>1366 x 768

No, I'm pretty certain it's T1 only. The processor is severely limited:
when I bring up the full (not just now/next) EPG, the audio is muted; if
I watch true 4:3 material (transmitted with the flag, rather than actual
transmitted sidebars) and turn on the subtitles, the picture fills the
screen (i. e. distorted).

>I actually wonder if it can support 1920 x 1080 (in order to downscale
>for display) So, it may well simply ignore anything it finds at 'HD'
>resolutions.

No, I think it just can't decode T2 at all. (Can't complain; IIRR I only
paid 25 for it, some years ago, and it still works fine, with the above
limitations!)

>What happens if you force a 1920 x 1080 signal via the HDMI input ?

I don't have suitable equipment/cables in the correct rooms. (Actually,
not sure if I have anything that could generate such a signal anyway -
it would only be this laptop, and I'm not sure that can.)

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues
-- Abraham Lincoln quoted by Mark Lloyd in alt.windows7.general 2018-12-27

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<50bflidquhlarfdg3scvtn0dtlvc8ujunh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9665&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9665

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 18:08:51 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 18:08 UTC

On 17 Nov 2023 17:48:18 GMT, Dave Hill
<nospam@hillcroft.org.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I often find on my TV set (Panasonic) that some channels (always the
>>> same ones I think, not all of them) will have no sound. I go up a
>>> channel then back down and all OK.
>>>
>>> Presumably a 'feature' of my TV set,
>>
>> I wondered if it could have anything to do with the English regional
>> stations becoming available on HD. Was a rescan recommended for this?
>> I assume Premier has some sort of distribution system.
>>
>I had the same problem in the Premier Inn I stayed at recently. A re-tune
>fixed it and got all the channels up to date.

I tried that but IIRC the option was blocked for guests.

>They don’t have a re-modulation system if that’s what you’re thinking.
>
>ISTR that there was something odd about the way the BBC1 HD changeover was
>done - PID wise.
>
>Dave

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<1947977501.721943218.682065.nospam-hillcroft.org.uk.invalid@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9666&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9666

From: nospam@hillcroft.org.uk.invalid (Dave Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: 17 Nov 2023 19:49:43 GMT
 by: Dave Hill - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 19:49 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2023 17:48:18 GMT, Dave Hill
> <nospam@hillcroft.org.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I wondered if it could have anything to do with the English regional
>>> stations becoming available on HD. Was a rescan recommended for this?
>>> I assume Premier has some sort of distribution system.
>>>
>> I had the same problem in the Premier Inn I stayed at recently. A re-tune
>> fixed it and got all the channels up to date.
>
> I tried that but IIRC the option was blocked for guests.

Search for “Samsung tv hotel mode”.

Dave

--
This is a sig-free zone!

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<4zWdnZLOitnuTcr4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9667&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9667

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 20:43:29 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 20:43 UTC

On 17/11/2023 18:02, J. P. Gilliver wrote:

>> The OP must have a later version that has a T2 tuner (possibly
>> half-arsely implemented), but the screen resolution is quoted as only
>> 1366 x 768
>
> No, I'm pretty certain it's T1 only. The processor is severely limited:
> when I bring up the full (not just now/next) EPG, the audio is muted; if
> I watch true 4:3 material (transmitted with the flag, rather than actual
> transmitted sidebars) and turn on the subtitles, the picture fills the
> screen (i. e. distorted).

Interesting that it is able to decode the sub-SD channels. If it was
T1-only, I'd expect it to ignore that mux altogether.

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<+Z2ocriNGAWlFwZG@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9668&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9668

Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 00:13:01 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 00:13 UTC

In message <4zWdnZLOitnuTcr4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk> at Fri,
17 Nov 2023 20:43:29, NY <me@privacy.net> writes
>On 17/11/2023 18:02, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
>>> The OP must have a later version that has a T2 tuner (possibly
>>>half-arsely implemented), but the screen resolution is quoted as only
>>>1366 x 768
>> No, I'm pretty certain it's T1 only. The processor is severely
>>limited: when I bring up the full (not just now/next) EPG, the audio
>>is muted; if I watch true 4:3 material (transmitted with the flag,
>>rather than actual transmitted sidebars) and turn on the subtitles,
>>the picture fills the screen (i. e. distorted).
>
>Interesting that it is able to decode the sub-SD channels. If it was
>T1-only, I'd expect it to ignore that mux altogether.

No, it _does_ ignore the BBC B mux. It shows it as full strength, hardly
any quality, and doesn't find _any_ channels there. (My T2 decoder box
_does_ see them - both 46 and 66 [well, I've never looked at 66], and
the HD channels.)

Experience is the comb life gives you after you lose your hair. -Judith Stearn

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<slrnulg1d6.ks8.abuse@news.pr.network>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9669&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9669

From: abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78 (Paul Ratcliffe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 00:30:31 GMT
Sender: abuse@win7.lan
 by: Paul Ratcliffe - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 00:30 UTC

On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:44:08 +0000, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> When I stayed recently at a Premier Inn (in Salford), BBC One HD had
> no sound but the other HD channels did. BBC One SD had sound.

When I stayed recenty at a Premier Inn (in Evesham), BBC One HD didn't work
at all (due to the regionalisation earlier this year). Nor did a load of other
services. From looking at the names and LCNs of the things in its list, it was
clear it didn't auto update, nor had it been manually tuned in over 3 years.
The TV/remote control was of course disabled from allowing punters to do it
themselves.

The dopey cow on the reception desk wasn't interested. She looked bored
f**king shitless and I wish I hadn't bothered trying to talk to her.
I said I'd put in a 'complaint' online, but it tried to make me jump through
so many hoops that I gave up.

Why don't these dozy companies empower their staff? They'd be less bored, the
punters would be happier and it wouldn't really cost anything.

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<uj9teb$38ffb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9670&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9670

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 08:42:51 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 08:42 UTC

On 18/11/2023 00:30, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
> The TV/remote control was of course disabled from allowing punters to do it
> themselves.

One thought, not sure but they might be able to tell that someone has
been using the maintenance mode to change settings. If someone
complains about the TV set and they find that then they might bill the
person who did it (which they can find from who had the room at that
time) with the cost of correcting it - that would probably be expensive.

Rather like if you smoke a cigarette in the room then you can be billed
for the full cost of a 'deep clean' and loss of revenue whilst room not
available.

Might not happen but worth bearing in mind

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<lbuglihm3mf7kn3grri4rq196h7uioe7mn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9671&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9671

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 08:45:31 +0000
References: <7Ar5KwK3FzVlFwQN@255soft.uk> <krortaF40d3U5@mid.individual.net> <krot2qF5tlsU1@mid.individual.net> <krotvpF40d3U8@mid.individual.net> <cdkeli9lmcjouroemeoq9206932po2m77d@4ax.com> <uj7k6d$2ph50$1@dont-email.me> <2flelipbaqkrgus4jnb6csgklt97tfh8cm@4ax.com> <1985216148.721936058.211953.nospam-hillcroft.org.uk.invalid@news.individual.net> <50bflidquhlarfdg3scvtn0dtlvc8ujunh@4ax.com> <1947977501.721943218.682065.nospam-hillcroft.org.uk.invalid@news.individual.net>
 by: Scott - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 08:45 UTC

On 17 Nov 2023 19:49:43 GMT, Dave Hill
<nospam@hillcroft.org.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 17 Nov 2023 17:48:18 GMT, Dave Hill
>> <nospam@hillcroft.org.uk.invalid> wrote:

>>> I had the same problem in the Premier Inn I stayed at recently. A re-tune
>>> fixed it and got all the channels up to date.
>>
>> I tried that but IIRC the option was blocked for guests.
>
>Search for “Samsung tv hotel mode”.

Thanks. I'll remember that for next time. I think I just went to the
ordinary Settings mode and some options were greyed out.

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<krrcpaFo43eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9672&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9672

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 09:00:25 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 09:00 UTC

On 18/11/2023 08:42, JMB99 wrote:
> On 18/11/2023 00:30, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
>> The TV/remote control was of course disabled from allowing punters to
>> do it
>> themselves.
>

> One thought, not sure but they might be able to tell that someone has
> been using the maintenance mode to change settings. If someone
> complains about the TV set and they find that then they might bill the
> person who did it (which they can find from who had the room at that
> time) with the cost of correcting it - that would probably be expensive.

Someone complaining about receiving more channels than are advertised
are unlikely to complain. If you do what has been suggested, just make
sure the hotel's own porn and movie channels still work.

As for the cost of "fixing" it, it takes a few minutes at most if you
have the right code, and the only reason to charge you for it is to
discourage you from going back.

> Rather like if you smoke a cigarette in the room then you can be billed
> for the full cost of a 'deep clean' and loss of revenue whilst room not
> available.

That does incur real and high costs for the hotel, as the next occupant
*will* complain if they smell even a hint of stale tobacco. The smell
permeates well into all fabrics, including the mattress.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<krrpevFrcgbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9674&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9674

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 12:36:46 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 12:36 UTC

On 18/11/2023 00:30, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:44:08 +0000, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> When I stayed recently at a Premier Inn (in Salford), BBC One HD had
>> no sound but the other HD channels did. BBC One SD had sound.
>
> When I stayed recenty at a Premier Inn (in Evesham), BBC One HD didn't work
> at all (due to the regionalisation earlier this year). Nor did a load of other
> services. From looking at the names and LCNs of the things in its list, it was
> clear it didn't auto update, nor had it been manually tuned in over 3 years.
> The TV/remote control was of course disabled from allowing punters to do it
> themselves.

We stayed in a hotel near Cirencester this week.

The telly in our room was diabolical. It was a Philips. The remote had
no 0-9 keypad, so the only way to select a channel was from the EPG
page, and/or stepping up/down with P+/-.
That took forever to load. ITV SD (on LCN 3) was missing, yet C4 and C5
SD were there (same mux, go figure !)

BBC 1 HD was completely absent, but the other HDs were there (almost
certainly no rescan sine the BBC HD regionalisation) In fact the smoking
gun for that was Russia Today was still there (as a blank entry of
course) It did have GB News, but no Talk TV, or Sky News.

Mrs C forbid me from having a rant about it to Reception (I was still
temped to sneak down to reception while she was having a bath )

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<slrnulhs0q.lds.abuse@news.pr.network>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9678&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9678

From: abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78 (Paul Ratcliffe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 17:10:50 GMT
Sender: abuse@win7.lan
 by: Paul Ratcliffe - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 17:10 UTC

On Sat, 18 Nov 2023 12:36:46 +0000, Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> wrote:

> Mrs C forbid me from having a rant about it to Reception

:-)

> (I was still temped to sneak down to reception while she was having a bath )

:-))

I wonder whose trousers won? Hers or yours?

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<uk9s10$1bdq1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9772&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9772

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:34:53 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:34 UTC

Is it not down to the older chipset then?

I am pretty sure that the Goodmans Smart talk box only gets sd that are on
sd multiplexes as there are channels missing which appear on the Samsung TV.

I have two of the Smart talks, one works but loses AD on some shows, and
the other crashes to a lock up state with no reason whatsoever, suspect
electrolytic degradation allowing crud on the data lines. Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...