Of course you have a purpose -- to find a purpose.

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

SubjectAuthor
* Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver
+* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Andy Burns
|+* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Mark Carver
||`* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Andy Burns
|| +* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Scott
|| |+* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?JMB99
|| |+- Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Mark Carver
|| |`* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Paul Ratcliffe
|| | +* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?JMB99
|| | `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Mark Carver
|| |  `- Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Paul Ratcliffe
|| `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver
||  `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?NY
||   `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Mark Carver
||    `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver
||     `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?NY
||      `- Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver
|`* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Brian Gaff
| `- Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver
`* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Brian Gaff
 `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver
  `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Paul Ratcliffe
   `* Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?Mark Carver
    `- Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?J. P. Gilliver

Pages:12
Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<uk9s9r$1bf32$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9774&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9774

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:39:36 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:39 UTC

Some of the channels also appear blank but when you play with some of the
modes on some tvs, you often find that they connect to the internet for
really boring things like an Arabic channel, or radio stations like
Caroline, most of the radio feeds sound awful and compressed to within an
inch of their lives. These seem not to be very well advertised, but the god
channel is and its output is very much as you would expect. Happy clappy or
US preacher led.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
>> Is it even possible for a mux to include T2 and T1 channels, or are they
>> mutually exclusive?
>
> A mux is either entirely -T1 or entirely -T2, the channels within them can
> be HD,SD,radio,mheg etc.
>
> Interference can't knock-out some logical channels within a mux, if any
> are missing it's down to lack of capabilities of the receiver (e.g. for HD
> as you are aware).
>
> A HD capable T2 receiver should see
>
> 46 5SELECT 66 TBN UK 101 BBC ONE HD 102 BBC TWO HD 103 ITV1 HD 104 S4C HD
> 105 Channel 5 HD 106 BBC Scotland HD 107 BBC Three HD 108 BBC FOUR HD 110
> Channel 4 HD 204 CBBC HD 205 CBeebies HD
> depending on time of day three/four or cbbc/cbeebies will be active
>
> I'm not sure if the following channels (possibly internet streamed) are
> cruft that is coming, or cruft that's gone?
>
> That's Comedy That's Teeny That's Cinema brands.tv

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<jTjwTy0u0IalFw6v@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9789&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9789

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:25:02 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:25 UTC

In message <uk9s10$1bdq1$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:34:53,
Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
>Is it not down to the older chipset then?

Yes, it turned out to be the decoder; the multiplex in question (BBC B,
IIRR) is a T2.

>I am pretty sure that the Goodmans Smart talk box only gets sd that are on
>sd multiplexes as there are channels missing which appear on the Samsung TV.

Yes, that multiplex includes two SD channels (46 and 66), but a T1
decoder won't see them, even though they are SD.
[]

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change
[via Penny Mayes (mayes@pmail.net)]

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<2T81jR1S5IalFwYr@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9790&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9790

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:29:54 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:29 UTC

In message <uk9s9r$1bf32$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:39:36,
Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
>Some of the channels also appear blank but when you play with some of the
>modes on some tvs, you often find that they connect to the internet for
>really boring things like an Arabic channel, or radio stations like

And other things. I'm somewhat puzzled as to why they're taking up LCNs
(I was going to say space, but presumably that's negligible) on FreeView
at all; they just make the Guide more cluttered. I _suppose_ it gives
them more publicity. But they're irritating.

>Caroline, most of the radio feeds sound awful and compressed to within an
>inch of their lives. These seem not to be very well advertised, but the god
>channel is and its output is very much as you would expect. Happy clappy or
>US preacher led.

Never watched it. About the only religious programming I have on - I
wouldn't say "watch", as that implies deliberate action - is sometimes
Songs Of Praise on Sundays, if I don't change channel after the news.
(And I like some of the tunes. Not sure if SOP is really a religious
prog.; I don't actually pay much attention, but I haven't been aware of
long speech sections in it.)
> Brian

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change
[via Penny Mayes (mayes@pmail.net)]

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<slrnumjpg2.19po.abuse@news.pr.network>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9803&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9803

From: abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78 (Paul Ratcliffe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 13:56:19 GMT
Sender: abuse@win7.lan
 by: Paul Ratcliffe - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 13:56 UTC

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:25:02 +0000, J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> In message <uk9s10$1bdq1$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:34:53,
> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
>>Is it not down to the older chipset then?
>
> Yes, it turned out to be the decoder; the multiplex in question (BBC B,
> IIRR) is a T2.
>>
>>I am pretty sure that the Goodmans Smart talk box only gets sd that are on
>>sd multiplexes as there are channels missing which appear on the Samsung TV.
>
> Yes, that multiplex includes two SD channels (46 and 66), but a T1
> decoder won't see them, even though they are SD.

There is no such thing as an SD multiplex, as wittering Gaff is
going on about. Nor an HD multiplex.
There are T and T2 multiplexes. That is it. What goes on them is
a different matter entirely.

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<ksub8vF5baiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9804&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9804

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 15:09:13 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 15:09 UTC

On 01/12/2023 13:56, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:25:02 +0000, J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <uk9s10$1bdq1$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:34:53,
>> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
>>> Is it not down to the older chipset then?
>>
>> Yes, it turned out to be the decoder; the multiplex in question (BBC B,
>> IIRR) is a T2.
>>>
>>> I am pretty sure that the Goodmans Smart talk box only gets sd that are on
>>> sd multiplexes as there are channels missing which appear on the Samsung TV.
>>
>> Yes, that multiplex includes two SD channels (46 and 66), but a T1
>> decoder won't see them, even though they are SD.
>
> There is no such thing as an SD multiplex, as wittering Gaff is
> going on about. Nor an HD multiplex.
> There are T and T2 multiplexes. That is it. What goes on them is
> a different matter entirely.

It something that is the root of the confusion that lead to this thread
being started in the first place !

Re: Full strength but near-zero quality?

<BWEoi$EwVhalFwPX@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9809&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9809

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 17:18:40 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 17:18 UTC

In message <ksub8vF5baiU2@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 1 Dec 2023
15:09:13, Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> writes
>On 01/12/2023 13:56, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:25:02 +0000, J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <uk9s10$1bdq1$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 30 Nov 2023
>>>11:34:53,
>>> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
>>>
>>> Yes, it turned out to be the decoder; the multiplex in question (BBC B,
>>> IIRR) is a T2.

>>> Yes, that multiplex includes two SD channels (46 and 66), but a T1
>>> decoder won't see them, even though they are SD.
>> There is no such thing as an SD multiplex, as wittering Gaff is
>> going on about. Nor an HD multiplex.
>> There are T and T2 multiplexes. That is it. What goes on them is
>> a different matter entirely.
>
>It something that is the root of the confusion that lead to this thread
>being started in the first place !

Indeed. The British media and retail industries haven't helped by
referring to T2 and T1 as HD and SD. (I don't know if the same deception
- or at least oversimplification - was used in other countries; I
suspect not.)

There should be a place on the ballot paper for 'None of the above', and if
enough people filled that in, the system might start to change. - Jeremy
Paxman in RT, 2014/1/25-31