From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: more W7 help
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:42:36 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 14:42 UTC

On 13/04/2024 03:50, John Rumm wrote:
> On 12/04/2024 10:41, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <uv8eck$1kr6i$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
>> <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes

>>> Clipboard is not a "program" as such - but the name for the shared
>>> "cut'n'paste" buffer that is a part of windows.
>>>
>>> Hence you can copy or cut information in a program, and paste it
>>> elsewhere. This works within one program - say moving a section of
>>> text in a word processor, but also works between unrelated bits of
>>> software - say pasting text from your word processor into notepad, or
>>> a form on a web page.
>>>
>>> It also works with graphic data. So open a program that can handle
>>> pictures and create a new empty document if necessary. Press PrtScr.
>>> That will capture a snapshot of the screen and hold it in the windows
>>> clipboard. Now select "paste" in the program, and you should be
>>> rewarded with a picture of your desktop pasted into the doc.
>>>
>>> So for example, if I press PrnScr + ALT while this windows is active,
>>> and then open Paint, and do paste, I get this :
>>>
>>> https://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:DemoClipScreenshot.png
>>
>> Ok. Thanks John and Paul for the detailed explanations.
>>
>> My technical education stopped in 1983 when I took up farming full
>> time. I guess anyone shunting photographs into word files would have
>> learned these processes as technology progressed
>
> ISTM much of the conceptual difficulty with the Print Screen key is the
> fact that it is still called that!
>
> There was a time (when DOS ruled), you pushed it[1], and a snapshot of
> the (text mode) screen popped out of the printer. It pretty much did
> what it says on the tin.
>
> In windows world, it has never really done that, but by that time all
> the key caps were printed and standardised...
>
> A "Copy Screen" key might be more aptly named. You push it, it makes a
> copy "somewhere", which you can later paste into something (including
> something that could print it out)
>

> [1] Odd bit of tech trivia... (for geek entertainment only!)
>
> x86 CPUs (like pretty all the others), support an interrupt handling
> capability - a way for an external device to signal to the CPU that it
> needs attention. When this happens, the CPU will stop whatever it was
> doing, jump off to some code (aka an an "Interrupt Handler" or
> "Interrupt Service Routine" (ISR)) to deal with the needs of whatever
> was signalling it, and then resume normal execution from where it left off.
>
> To achieve this voodoo there is typically a jump table of interrupt
> vectors that point the CPU toward those interrupt handlers - so
> different sources of interrupt can be linked to the required handlers.
>
> Now normally interrupts are a "hardware thing" - some electronic device
> is wired to an interrupt line into the CPU, so that it can signal when
> it wants to interrupt.
>
> The x86 range also has a software interrupt capability that uses the
> same trick for handling some "exceptions" that can be generated in the
> [...]

ISR 21h was used by DOS. And I recall there was a timer ISR too. In the
days of shared PCs I wrote a TSR program that looked for directory names
and if a perpetual offender used the machine (who shouldn't be using it)
and the active directory included his name, characters would fall down
the screen, Matrix style!

I thought there were legacy CP/M commands accessible in DOS too?

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o more W7 help

By: Tim Lamb on Mon, 8 Apr 2024

44Tim Lamb