From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: more W7 help
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 20:44:35 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 19:44 UTC

On 13/04/2024 15:42, Fredxx wrote:
> [...]
>> needs attention. When this happens, the CPU will stop whatever it was
>> doing, jump off to some code (aka an an "Interrupt Handler" or
>> "Interrupt Service Routine" (ISR)) to deal with the needs of whatever
>> was signalling it, and then resume normal execution from where it left
>> off.
>>
>> To achieve this voodoo there is typically a jump table of interrupt
>> vectors that point the CPU toward those interrupt handlers - so
>> different sources of interrupt can be linked to the required handlers.
>>
>> Now normally interrupts are a "hardware thing" - some electronic
>> device is wired to an interrupt line into the CPU, so that it can
>> signal when it wants to interrupt.
>>
>> The x86 range also has a software interrupt capability that uses the
>> same trick for handling some "exceptions" that can be generated in the
>> CPU itself. In the 8088 used in the original IBM PC, the CPU could
>> generate 5 such exceptions - numbered 0 to 4 (for things like a divide
>> by zero event or an overflow, but also single step debugging).
>>
>> The idea being that you could have an ISR that could "handle" some
>> kinds of software event if wanted. Intel in their published data books
>> for the CPU highlighted that although the 8088/8086 only used 5 of
>> these exceptions, they reserved more of them for extra facilities that
>> may be added to later CPUs. They told developers not to used any of
>> those reserved ones.
>>
>> So what did IBM do? They implemented the print screen routine as if it
>> was an ISR.  Now having the print screen code implemented as an ISR is
>> quite nifty - you can call it anywhere at any time, and it will make a
>> note of what it was doing, go off and print the screen, and then carry
>> on where it left off.  So even in the body of the code that handles
>> key presses (also done in an ISR that handles the key up/down events
>> that interrupt the CPU), it could generate a software interrupt to
>> call the print screen code. So far so good. However they also decided
>> to make this handler the sixth one - one of the reserved ones that
>> Intel said "don't use".
>>
>> All was fine and dandy until the 80286 came out and found it way into
>> the IBM PC-AT. That had a new "bounds" exception internally wired to
>> the sixth interrupt (and another couple of exceptions using the next
>> two reserved ones). The bound exception could be used to automatically
>> validate that data the CPU was processing fell within certain limits
>> or "bounds". Not often used, but it did have the nice side effect that
>> if your code generated a bounds exception unexpectedly, and had not
>> bothered to install its own ISR to handle it, the PC would respond by
>> printing the screen!
>>
>> (and if you were using bounds processing, and your implemented your
>> own ISR to handle the exception, it now also had to deal with the
>> problem of your code getting called at random times by the PC BIOS
>> whenever the user pressed Print Screen key!).

Yup - DOS system calls were done using a INT 21H instruction. That made
for slightly shorter code (no need to use a 5 byte far call
instruction), and it also made it easy to "hook" OS calls if you wanted
by re-pointing the int 21 interrupt vector at your code, and then
chaining to the real one after you have done what you wanted.

> And I recall there was a timer ISR too. In the

Yup it updated the software version of system time, and turned off the
floppy motors after 5 secs of inactivity. Originally generated by an
8254 Programmable Interval Timer (these days built into one of the
"bridge" chipsets).

(I quite often used to disable it when I needed precise timing control
when writing simulators)

> days of shared PCs I wrote a TSR program that looked for directory names
> and if a perpetual offender used the machine (who shouldn't be using it)
> and the active directory included his name, characters would fall down
> the screen, Matrix style!

:-)

Yup much fun could be had with TSR programs -

> I thought there were legacy CP/M commands accessible in DOS too?

Yup the Program Segment Prefix (PSP) - a data structure built for each
COM or EXE program as it loaded, was based on the CP/M version[1]. It
included a far call instruction at offset 5, that would call the OS
entry point, so you could do a CALL BDOS instruction as you would on
CP/M and it would work.

[1] Which arguably much of DOS was since it was based on Seattle
Computer Products QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System), which was
basically a 16 OS shall we say "heavily influenced" by CP/M. MS Licenses
QDOS from SCP, and then later bought it outright.

--
Cheers,

John.

SubjectRepliesAuthor