Marriage is the sole cause of divorce.

computers / alt.os.linux / Re: As always, nospam is correct

SubjectAuthor
* I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my ageWally J
+* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toAndy Burns
> [...]
| +- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in tobad sector
| `* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toAlan Browne
|  `* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my ageFrank Slootweg
|   +- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toAlan Browne
|   +* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my agePeter
|   |+* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my ageFrank Slootweg
|   ||`- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my agePeter
|   |`- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toAlan Browne
|   `* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toCarlos E.R.
|    `- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my ageFrank Slootweg
+* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toChris Schram
|`- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my ageWoozy Song
+* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toCarlos E.R.
|+* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toPaul
||+* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toCarlos E.R.
|||`* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toPaul
||| `* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toCarlos E.R.
|||  `* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toAlan Browne
|||   `* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toMarioCPPP
|||    +- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toJolly Roger
|||    +- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toAlan Browne
|||    `- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my agenospam
||+- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my ageWally J
||`- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my ageChar Jackson
|+* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toAlan Browne
||+* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toMarioCPPP
|||`- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toAlan Browne
||`* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign inChris
|| `* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toAlan Browne
||  +* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toPaul
||  |+* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my ageWally J
||  ||+- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toCarlos E.R.
||  ||+- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toPaul
||  ||+- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toAlan Browne
||  ||`* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my agenospam
||  |`* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toAlan Browne
||  `* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toAndy Burns
|+* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toTJ
|`* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my ageMickey D
+- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toJohnny
+- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toKilladebug
+* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toMikeS
+* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in toChris Schram
+* Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my ageJohn Robertson
`- Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my ageWally J

Pages:1234567891011121314151617
Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<u6ku01$1aqol$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1405&group=alt.os.linux#1405

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in
to confirm my age
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 18:28:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:hqH8gUBpPQCr4jA/VrK4vLf/jQA=
 by: Chris - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 18:28 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-06-17 06:14, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2023-06-17 04:36, Wally J wrote:
>>> I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SSrXOkCRd8&pp=ygUWdWtyYWluZSB0cmVuY2ggd2FyZmFyZQ%3D%3D
>>>
>>> But I don't want to create a Youtube account that they can easily track.
>>>
>>> It says "Sign in to confirm your age" and "This video may be
>>> inappropriate
>>> for some users" but I want to see what is in this (and many other)
>>> videos.
>>>
>>> Can I watch that YouTube video on Windows, Linux or Android without
>>> creating a login that has to confirm my age and they can track me?
>>
>> On a Linux terminal:
>>
>> yt-dlp "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SSrXOkCRd8"
>
> To my surprise, worked fine here w/o needing login creds.
>
> Why the OP wants to "hide" from watching that particular video is a
> mystery to me.
>
> (Did this in Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion on a Mac)

Probably a local requirement to meet differing legal systems? Maybe the OP
could try a VPN to a different country/state?

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<u6kvus$3dr1v$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1406&group=alt.os.linux#1406

Followup: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: invalid@is.invalid (Beyond the pale)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 14:02:21 -0500
 by: Beyond the pale - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 19:02 UTC

On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 14:05:18 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

>> I've seen you post to Windows so I'm surprised you don't know iOS is crap.
>
> I only posted on the Windows group a while ago as I have an upcoming
> "home office configuration fork" coming and I might buy a small cheap
> computer for Windows to support a decidedly aged app that I still use
> for certain things. There's also Sage 50 (only distributed for Windows)
> but I don't need it critically, but may need (with a very low coeficient
> of "may" - VM's do the job currently but not on Apple Silicon).

I saw your posts about having an old Windows PC so I figured you knew
something about computers. But maybe you don't know anything about them.

If a Windows users says an app exists, they can point to that app.
On the Apple newsgroups, they can't point to the app since it never exists.

>> Everyone knows that iOS is brain dead.
>> The proof is in the taste of the pudding.
>
> Sure. Why Apple sell iPhones like hotcakes for a wide segment of the
> population.
You seem to be like an Apple user making excuses for the flaws in iOS.
By claiming that because Apple sells garbage to the masses, it's good.

They sell Rolex watches too but that doesn't mean they tell time well.

But the proof of your opinion will be in the taste of your pudding.
If you know of an iOS app that does what the OP asked for, name it.

> Meanwhile some very "niche" users on other platforms get their Apple
> Hatred up in a froth. Amusing or tragic? Not sure.

It's not hatred. It's reality. The solution already exists for Windows.
The solution already exists for Android. And for Linux.

The solution will never exist for iOS because iOS is for the brain dead.
Since you're a Windows user, I would have thought you already knew that.

All iOS can do is use a web browser which is what brain dead people use.

The solution will NEVER be a web page for the obvious reasons that a web
page will be using a YouTube web API which enforces the age restrictions.

>> There will NEVER be a solution for the iOS platform.
>> There is ALREADY a solution for all the other platforms.
>>
>> Given the OP's question of watching an age-restricted YouTube video,
>> the solution has been provided for Windows, Linux and Android already.
>>
>> And I stress the answer will NEVER be a web site in a web browser.
>
> And only a few obsessed angry Apple haters care.

If you want to call saying the truth about Apple being an Apple hater,
then that says more about you than it does about me.

I'm right. You're wrong.
There will NEVER be an iOS app that does what the OP asked for.

If you think there is an app that does what the OP asked for, say it.
Point to the URL of that app on the Apple app store that does it.

>> The only thing the brain dead iOS platform can do is go to web pages.
>
> That smacks of ignorance, but do carry on (Gee - I have dozens of apps
> that are not in web pages ...).

Are you going to supply the app on the iOS App Store that does what the OP
asked for or not?

You simply proving that iOS is brain dead crap doesn't make me an Apple
hater. It makes you wrong. And me right.

If you feel iOS is not a brain dead platform, then just point to the app.

>> 1. The user does NOT need to create a Google Account.
>> 2. The user will download or view the video without verifying anything.
>> 3. As an added bonus, none of the suggested apps will ever show an ad.
>> 4. As a double added bonus, all the suggested apps are free open source.
>
> Phhhewt. Google run YouTube the way they want to run it. If that
> requires login for some content then that is their right. If there are
> work arounds for that that violate the legal and clearly defined
> conditions that Google put out and Apple exclude apps that violate
> another company's conditions, that speaks well for both Apple and Google.

You think Google hasn't looked at the source code for all the suggested
free open source apps? You think Google doesn't know about them?

If you think that, then you don't belong on a Windows, Linux or Android
newsgroup.

You belong on an Apple newsgroup instead.

That's where the Apple-loving morons hang out who believe that everything
that they can't do (which is almost everything) must be illegal to do.

> But, Apple Haters are blind to reality.

If you feel iOS is not brain dead, then just point us all to the app.
--
(fup set to remove the brain dead Apple newsgroup posters - again)

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<WvnjM.27746$8uge.22226@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1407&group=alt.os.linux#1407

Subject: Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to
confirm my age
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 15:07:33 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 19:07 UTC

On 2023-06-17 14:28, Chris wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

>>> On a Linux terminal:
>>>
>>> yt-dlp "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SSrXOkCRd8"
>>
>> To my surprise, worked fine here w/o needing login creds.
>>
>> Why the OP wants to "hide" from watching that particular video is a
>> mystery to me.
>>
>> (Did this in Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion on a Mac)
>
> Probably a local requirement to meet differing legal systems? Maybe the OP
> could try a VPN to a different country/state?

I just tried it on Mac, Firefox, no login and got the "Sign in ..."
message, so not due to this locale (Canada).

I had seen the other post (Paul) where the same Linux command failed.
yet for me it worked (Firefox/Linux).

No idea why.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<pde1mjxjfo.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1408&group=alt.os.linux#1408

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
confirm my age
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 21:33:45 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 19:33 UTC

On 2023-06-17 18:36, Paul wrote:
> On 6/17/2023 9:10 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> cer@Telcontar:~/tmp/Wally> yt-dlp
>> "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SSrXOkCRd8"" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SSrXOkCRd8"
>> [youtube] Extracting URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SSrXOkCRd8
>> [youtube] 9SSrXOkCRd8: Downloading webpage
>> [youtube] 9SSrXOkCRd8: Downloading android player API JSON
>> [youtube] 9SSrXOkCRd8: Downloading tv embedded player API JSON
>> [youtube] 9SSrXOkCRd8: Downloading web embedded client config
>> [youtube] 9SSrXOkCRd8: Downloading player 6ed0d907
>> [youtube] 9SSrXOkCRd8: Downloading web embedded player API JSON
>> [info] 9SSrXOkCRd8: Downloading 1 format(s): 248+251
>> [dashsegments] Total fragments: 4
>> [download] Destination: Russian troops enter Ukraine Army trenches;
>> Face-to-face fight caught on camera | Watch [9SSrXOkCRd8].f248.webm
>> [download] 100% of   35.43MiB in 00:00:01 at 25.00MiB/s
>> [dashsegments] Total fragments: 1
>> [download] Destination: Russian troops enter Ukraine Army trenches;
>> Face-to-face fight caught on camera | Watch [9SSrXOkCRd8].f251.webm
>> [download] 100% of    2.61MiB in 00:00:00 at 15.73MiB/s
>> [Merger] Merging formats into "Russian troops enter Ukraine Army
>> trenches; Face-to-face fight caught on camera | Watch
>> [9SSrXOkCRd8].webm"
>> Deleting original file Russian troops enter Ukraine Army trenches;
>> Face-to-face fight caught on camera | Watch [9SSrXOkCRd8].f251.webm
>> (pass -k to keep)
>> Deleting original file Russian troops enter Ukraine Army trenches;
>> Face-to-face fight caught on camera | Watch [9SSrXOkCRd8].f248.webm
>> (pass -k to keep)
>> cer@Telcontar:~/tmp/Wally>
>
> Downloading Ubuntu 23.04 and repeating, works as yours does,
> and returns the same software release number. Even though
> it likely is not the most up-to-date version. Apparently
> Debian does not want dynamic updates being done by individual
> tools [security issue, not checked by treeherder].
>
> The one I was using, was older. And for most things, it's been
> working.

Some tools, and this is one, needs to be updated frequently. It is a
war, people wanting to download, youtube wanting people not to download.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<BwojM.4257$7915.2080@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1409&group=alt.os.linux#1409

confirm my age
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:16:32 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 20:16 UTC

On 2023-06-17 15:02, Beyond the pale wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 14:05:18 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>>> I've seen you post to Windows so I'm surprised you don't know iOS is crap.
>>
>> I only posted on the Windows group a while ago as I have an upcoming
>> "home office configuration fork" coming and I might buy a small cheap
>> computer for Windows to support a decidedly aged app that I still use
>> for certain things. There's also Sage 50 (only distributed for Windows)
>> but I don't need it critically, but may need (with a very low coeficient
>> of "may" - VM's do the job currently but not on Apple Silicon).
>
> I saw your posts about having an old Windows PC so I figured you knew
> something about computers. But maybe you don't know anything about them.

I was writing s/w before IBM PC's came out and did all sorts of projects
on various platforms big ans small for a period of 20 years. Real-time.
Airborne sensors (navigation mainly).

And I still "hobby" RTL code for various projects of my own interest.

So - "something about computers" and then some ...

> If a Windows users says an app exists, they can point to that app.
> On the Apple newsgroups, they can't point to the app since it never exists.

Such as? What is burning so bad?

Do you really think that every platform has to support every little
obscure thing?

Is that useful to everyone or just a narrow minded bunch of Apple haters?

>>> Everyone knows that iOS is brain dead.
>>> The proof is in the taste of the pudding.
>>
>> Sure. Why Apple sell iPhones like hotcakes for a wide segment of the
>> population.
> You seem to be like an Apple user making excuses for the flaws in iOS.
> By claiming that because Apple sells garbage to the masses, it's good.
>
> They sell Rolex watches too but that doesn't mean they tell time well.
>
> But the proof of your opinion will be in the taste of your pudding.
> If you know of an iOS app that does what the OP asked for, name it.

Not offhand - and to whit - I don't care about his little obscure case -
and 99.99% of people don't care either.

You've just got a bad case of Apple hate.

I'll leave you to it ...

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<CxojM.4258$7915.623@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1410&group=alt.os.linux#1410

confirm my age
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:17:38 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 20:17 UTC

On 2023-06-17 15:33, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> Some tools, and this is one, needs to be updated frequently. It is a
> war, people wanting to download, youtube wanting people not to download.

Their platform, their rules.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<u6lalk$1ck4k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1413&group=alt.os.linux#1413

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux
confirm my age
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 18:04:34 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 22:04 UTC

On 6/17/2023 3:07 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-06-17 14:28, Chris wrote:
>> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

>>> To my surprise, worked fine here w/o needing login creds.
>>>
>>> Why the OP wants to "hide" from watching that particular video is a
>>> mystery to me.
>>>
>>> (Did this in Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion on a Mac)
>>
>> Probably a local requirement to meet differing legal systems? Maybe the OP
>> could try a VPN to a different country/state?
>
> I just tried it on Mac, Firefox, no login and got the "Sign in ..." message, so not due to this locale (Canada).
>
> I had seen the other post (Paul) where the same Linux command failed. yet for me it worked (Firefox/Linux).
>
> No idea why.

That was a version issue. I booted the latest non-LTS OS (Ubuntu 23.04)
and the same version of yt-dlp was in it as the one Carlos used,
and then it worked fine.

I don't generally chase after new versions, until an old
version shows itself to be too old.

The UBuntu I have on the Linux drive is 22.04.x and that's
the LTS.

The non-LTS versions last for such a short time, you install
them... and then the second time you go to use them, they're
expired. So I don't bother with things like 23.04 . 24.04 would
be the next one I would be installing. And it depends on how
"Snap happy" they get, whether there will be any more Ubuntu
installs here.

Before I could even do anything with 23.04, I had to carry out
an incantation.

sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo add-apt-repository multiverse
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install synaptic
sudo synaptic
# Now, install yt-dlp from the GUI in synaptic

If you do not want to see the Synaptic window for
the procedure, the sequence would be

sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo add-apt-repository multiverse
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install yt-dlp

Paul

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<fNGcnWcKJrHvqRP5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1415&group=alt.os.linux#1415

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 22:32:18 +0000
 by: Ant - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 22:32 UTC

In misc.phone.mobile.iphone Daniel65 <daniel47@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> MarioCPPP wrote on 17/6/23 8:22 pm:

> >> switch to incognito/private tab
> >> create throwaway google account (for total paranoia use a throwaway
> >> email account)
> >
> > it seems to still be impossible, since they strictly require TELEPHONE
> > number, the most personal information ever ...
> > I tried temporary numbers, and they don't work.
> >

> > The telephone number scam is also hidden in some promotional offerings.
> > An example : i have some non verified emails, and when trying to
> > activate a couple of cloud extentions (the popular clones of google
> > drive), entering a couple of emails not associated to numbers, the host
> > required to use not better precised SAFER EMAILs :D :D :D
> >
> > They want to link every info, avery activity with a physical person.

> I am currently unable to check how much of my ISP account monthly usage
> I have used because I haven't update my account information (all this
> two-state checking stuff).

> Last week I enquired of my ISP and they wanted me to enable my mobile
> phone camera, point it at my face and, if I read the SMS correctly, LET
> THEM TAKE A PHOTO OF MY FACE!! Sure, I might be misreading it and they
> only want ME to take the photo ..... but, either way, they have got to
> be joking, haven't they??

> If I ever get around to sending I photo, I've been thinking of sending a
> photo of my Dog or some such!! ;-P

Which ISP was that? :(
--
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." --Proverbs 9:10. Quiet (long) weekend? Still hurty, itchy, & leaky tho. :( It looks like winter is finally over!
| |o o| |

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<u6ls2n$3gvke$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1417&group=alt.os.linux#1417

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 23:02:16 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 03:02 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote

> That was a version issue. I booted the latest non-LTS OS (Ubuntu 23.04)
> and the same version of yt-dlp was in it as the one Carlos used,
> and then it worked fine.

Thank you for your extensive tests with that really nice yt-dlp downloader.

I was surprised to learn it has over a thousand supported video sites.
https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/blob/master/supportedsites.md

The description for the yt-dlp foss software is as follows.
"yt-dlp is a command-line program that lets you easily download videos and
audio from more than a thousand websites."
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Yt-dlp

I was surprised that the FOSS newpipe app also supports many video sites.
https://github.com/TeamNewPipe/NewPipe & https://newpipe.net/

The description for the newpipe foss software is as follows.
"NewPipe does not use any Google framework libraries, or the YouTube API.
It only parses the website in order to gain the information it needs.
Therefore this app can be used on devices without Google Services
installed. Also, you don't need a YouTube account to use NewPipe, and it's
FLOSS." https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/

Because of the way it's designed that also works on Android TV.
https://www.androidtvtricks.com/newpipe-on-android-tv/

All the suggested solutions provided an ad free & login free experience
which allowed anyone to easily download that example age-restricted video.

The only system so far without any suggested working solution is iOS.

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<u6lut3$3hgja$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1418&group=alt.os.linux#1418

Followup: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: invalid@is.invalid (Beyond the pale)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 22:50:28 -0500
 by: Beyond the pale - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 03:50 UTC

On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:16:32 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

> Do you really think that every platform has to support every little
> obscure thing?

It's not that iOS doesn't support every little thing but that iOS is so
restrained by the walled-garden limitations that it doesn't do anything.

No developer is allowed to provide iOS users with what they ask for
(which would be the same things all other platform users ask for).

Only one of which is the ability to view/download any age-restricted
YouTube video (even when you don't wish to create your own Google Account).

You can keep saying that everything everyone else is already doing is "a
little obscure thing" but the sheer number of them is where the truth lies.

> Is that useful to everyone or just a narrow minded bunch of Apple haters?

If you lying about iOS capabilities makes you an Apple lover, and if me
telling the truth about iOS capabilities makes me an Apple hater, so be it.

Instead of coming up with excuses for why iOS can't do anything people want
to do, you could prove me wrong in an instant (if I was wrong) you know.

All you'd have to do is point to the app on the app store that does it.
--
(f'up set back to the non-Apple newsgroups which is where it should be)

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<kf7q4vFtqhvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1420&group=alt.os.linux#1420

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
confirm my age
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 08:30:39 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 07:30 UTC

MarioCPPP wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> switch to incognito/private tab
>> create throwaway google account (for total paranoia use a throwaway
>> email account)
>
> it seems to still be impossible, since they strictly require TELEPHONE
> number

So buy a burner phone with cash while wearing a balaclava :-)

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<dcs2mjx087.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1421&group=alt.os.linux#1421

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux
confirm my age
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:38:05 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 08:38 UTC

On 2023-06-18 05:02, Wally J wrote:
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote
>
>> That was a version issue. I booted the latest non-LTS OS (Ubuntu 23.04)
>> and the same version of yt-dlp was in it as the one Carlos used,
>> and then it worked fine.
>
> Thank you for your extensive tests with that really nice yt-dlp downloader.
>
> I was surprised to learn it has over a thousand supported video sites.
> https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/blob/master/supportedsites.md

Doesn't mean it works. For example, one I would like and is listed doesn't:

cer@Telcontar:~/tmp/rtve> yt-dlp
https://www.rtve.es/play/videos/ingenieria-romana/ciudades/5789531/
[generic] Extracting URL:
https://www.rtve.es/play/videos/ingenieria-romana/ciudades/5789531/
[generic] 5789531: Downloading webpage
WARNING: [generic] Falling back on generic information extractor
[generic] 5789531: Extracting information
ERROR: Unsupported URL:
https://www.rtve.es/play/videos/ingenieria-romana/ciudades/5789531/
cer@Telcontar:~/tmp/rtve>

But this particular site works here:

https://www.descargavideos.tv/

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<kf7ui6FueplU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1422&group=alt.os.linux#1422

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux
confirm my age
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 09:45:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 08:45 UTC

Alan Browne wrote:

> for me it worked (Firefox/Linux).

are you *certain* you're not already signed-in to any other google web
property? check with a firefox private tab ...

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<u6mm48$1km9r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1423&group=alt.os.linux#1423

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
confirm my age
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 20:26:16 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:26 UTC

Ah, sorry. TPG ... https://www.tpg.com.au/

--
Daniel

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<u6muma$1li2o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1424&group=alt.os.linux#1424

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
confirm my age
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:52:25 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:52 UTC

On 18/06/23 09:30, Andy Burns wrote:
> MarioCPPP wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> switch to incognito/private tab
>>> create throwaway google account (for total paranoia use a
>>> throwaway email account)
>>
>> it seems to still be impossible, since they strictly
>> require TELEPHONE number
>
> So buy a burner phone with cash while wearing a balaclava :-)

we don't have here in Shitaly, alas

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<u6musf$1lji9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1426&group=alt.os.linux#1426

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux
confirm my age
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 08:55:41 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:55 UTC

On 6/17/2023 11:02 PM, Wally J wrote:

> The only system so far without any suggested working solution is iOS.

With the descriptions written, how would you know what a thing does ?
This one has a hole for a URL and that's about it.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/youdown/id1487658334

Paul

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<u6mvmr$1lihu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1427&group=alt.os.linux#1427

From: TJ@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
confirm my age
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 09:09:47 -0400
 by: TJ - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:09 UTC

On 2023-06-17 06:14, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-06-17 04:36, Wally J wrote:
>> I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SSrXOkCRd8&pp=ygUWdWtyYWluZSB0cmVuY2ggd2FyZmFyZQ%3D%3D
>>
>> But I don't want to create a Youtube account that they can easily track.
>>
>> It says "Sign in to confirm your age" and "This video may be
>> inappropriate
>> for some users" but I want to see what is in this (and many other)
>> videos.
>>
>> Can I watch that YouTube video on Windows, Linux or Android without
>> creating a login that has to confirm my age and they can track me?
>
> On a Linux terminal:
>
> yt-dlp "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SSrXOkCRd8"

If a GUI is preferred, the OP might want to try ClipGrab. Mageia has it
in their repositories, so other Linux distros probably do, too.

It's available for many platforms, including Mac, but not iOS devices.

https://clipgrab.org/

TJ

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<u6n2oq$1m028$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1428&group=alt.os.linux#1428

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
confirm my age
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:02:01 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:02 UTC

On 6/18/2023 9:09 AM, TJ wrote:

> If a GUI is preferred, the OP might want to try ClipGrab.  Mageia has it in their repositories, so other Linux distros probably do, too.
>
> It's available for many platforms, including Mac, but not iOS devices.
>
> https://clipgrab.org/
>
> TJ

Gee, thanks :-/

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/f980e92af3341650819ca6c985294ebe0aa78d38bdfe249536d7ec7f2efc6ecf

27 security vendors and no sandboxes flagged this file as malicious

Popular threat label adware.offercore/installcore

Don't do that, OK ?

That just makes work for us.

I cannot even disassemble that, because I keep getting blocked.

We know what that is, but if a support model for a software product
and a web site relies on *this way* of doing business, this is the year 2023,
and please to be fucking off now.

Paul (w10)

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<u6n3p4$1m2ed$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1429&group=alt.os.linux#1429

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCPPP)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
confirm my age
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 16:19:15 +0200
 by: MarioCPPP - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:19 UTC

On 17/06/23 22:17, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-06-17 15:33, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> Some tools, and this is one, needs to be updated
>> frequently. It is a war, people wanting to download,
>> youtube wanting people not to download.
>
> Their platform, their rules.

what about the ownership of the CONTENTS ?

btw ... I adore your signature, I often mention it too

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<kf8jdrF2vopU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1430&group=alt.os.linux#1430

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
confirm my age
Date: 18 Jun 2023 14:42:04 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:42 UTC

On 2023-06-18, MarioCPPP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
> On 17/06/23 22:17, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2023-06-17 15:33, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>
>>> Some tools, and this is one, needs to be updated
>>> frequently. It is a war, people wanting to download,
>>> youtube wanting people not to download.
>>
>> Their platform, their rules.
>
> what about the ownership of the CONTENTS ?

You mean by the people who create the content?

JR

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<dOEjM.7019$Zq81.2828@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1431&group=alt.os.linux#1431

confirm my age
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:47:37 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:47 UTC

On 2023-06-17 18:04, Paul wrote:
> On 6/17/2023 3:07 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> Probably a local requirement to meet differing legal systems? Maybe
>>> the OP
>>> could try a VPN to a different country/state?
>>
>> I just tried it on Mac, Firefox, no login and got the "Sign in ..."
>> message, so not due to this locale (Canada).
>>
>> I had seen the other post (Paul) where the same Linux command failed.
>> yet for me it worked (Firefox/Linux).
>>
>> No idea why.
>>

> That was a version issue. I booted the latest non-LTS OS (Ubuntu 23.04)
> and the same version of yt-dlp was in it as the one Carlos used,
> and then it worked fine.

Interesting. Then of course one has to ask "why" does "this" work. But
- please don't spend time on it!

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<u6n5g1$1mabh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1432&group=alt.os.linux#1432

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
confirm my age
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:48:32 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:48 UTC

On 6/18/2023 8:52 AM, MarioCPPP wrote:
> On 18/06/23 09:30, Andy Burns wrote:
>> MarioCPPP wrote:

>>> it seems to still be impossible, since they strictly require TELEPHONE number
>>
>> So buy a burner phone with cash while wearing a balaclava :-)
>
> we don't have here in Shitaly, alas

They're quite economical.

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/7-great-burner-phones/

When I was riding on the public transit bus, a drug dealer had three
phones with him. He sat in his seat, and arranged a
burner phone to sit on each leg while seated. Presumably
the burner phones would receive SMS with orders.
(The display on each phone was running.)
His so-called "first-personal" phone was an iPhone
and kept in his vest pocket.

So I got to see what a real live villain looks like :-)

The man had an "assistant" who traveled with him, but
the assistant did not sit next to him. The assistant
was careful to sit at the other end of the bus. Such
OPSEC. They must have taken OPSEC courses, to get this good.

See, this is what happens when you can't afford a flash car.
You ride the bus, with your burner phones.

When I place my bus fare in the box, this is the
kind of entertainment I've come to expect.

Paul

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<vUEjM.48$I68a.27@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1433&group=alt.os.linux#1433

confirm my age
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:54:18 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:54 UTC

On 2023-06-17 23:02, Wally J wrote:

> The only system so far without any suggested working solution is iOS.

Probably has to do with the $15B or so in revenue Apple make from Google
annually for Google to be the default search engine on Apple devices.

When businesses work together they tend to respect the terms and
conditions of their clients and thus block activity that contravenes the
T&C's of their client.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<fWEjM.49$I68a.23@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1434&group=alt.os.linux#1434

confirm my age
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:56:10 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:56 UTC

On 2023-06-17 23:50, Beyond the pale wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:16:32 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> Do you really think that every platform has to support every little
>> obscure thing?
>
> It's not that iOS doesn't support every little thing but that iOS is so
> restrained by the walled-garden limitations that it doesn't do anything.

Not a walled garden no matter how much you shout it like Trump at a MAGA
rally.

iOS does plenty, in droves. Otherwise people would not buy iPhones.
In droves.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: I want to watch a youtube video that asks me to sign in to confirm my age

<b_EjM.50$I68a.43@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1435&group=alt.os.linux#1435

confirm my age
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 11:00:23 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:00 UTC

On 2023-06-18 10:19, MarioCPPP wrote:
> On 17/06/23 22:17, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2023-06-17 15:33, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>
>>> Some tools, and this is one, needs to be updated frequently. It is a
>>> war, people wanting to download, youtube wanting people not to download.
>>
>> Their platform, their rules.
>
> what about the ownership of the CONTENTS ?

The owner of the content can delete it at any time.

The presentation of the content on YouTube has to follow their T&C's.

It's an adult world with adult rules.

> btw ... I adore your signature, I often mention it too

Stumbled upon it a month or so ago - hard to not like it!