backups: always in season, never out of style.

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Face Id in dark

SubjectAuthor
* Face Id in darkCameo
+* Re: Face Id in darkYour Name
|`* Re: Face Id in darkCameo
| +* Re: Face Id in darkYour Name
| |+- Re: Face Id in darkAlan
| |+- Re: Face Id in darkHank Rogers
| |+* Re: Face Id in darkWally J
| ||`- Re: Face Id in darkAlan
| |+* Re: Face Id in darkCameo
| ||+- Re: Face Id in darkYour Name
| ||+- Re: Face Id in darkJolly Roger
| ||`* Re: Face Id in darkChris
| || `* Re: Face Id in darkHank Rogers
| ||  +* Re: Face Id in darkCameo
| ||  |`* Re: Face Id in darkAnt
| ||  | +- Re: Face Id in darkHank Rogers
| ||  | `* Re: Face Id in darkJolly Roger
| ||  |  `* Re: Face Id in darkCameo
| ||  |   `- Re: Face Id in darkJolly Roger
| ||  `- Re: Face Id in darkJolly Roger
| |`* Re: Face Id in darkken
| | `* Re: Face Id in darkYour Name
| |  `- Re: Face Id in darkCameo
| +- Re: Face Id in darkHank Rogers
| +- Re: Face Id in darkWally J
| `* Re: Face Id in darkChris
|  `* Re: Face Id in darkWally J
|   `- Re: Face Id in darkAlan
`* Re: Face Id in darkWally J
 `- Re: Face Id in darkAlan

Pages:12
Face Id in dark

<umict4$3d9d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11644&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11644

From: cameo@unreal.invalid (Cameo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Face Id in dark
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 00:44:40 +0100
 by: Cameo - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 23:44 UTC

I've noticed with amazement that my iPhone 15 Pro Max can ID my face
even in dark. How does it do it? Using infraread light?

Re: Face Id in dark

<umig0f$3pm1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11646&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11646

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Face Id in dark
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 13:37:35 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 00:37 UTC

On 2023-12-27 23:44:40 +0000, Cameo said:

> I've noticed with amazement that my iPhone 15 Pro Max can ID my face
> even in dark. How does it do it? Using infraread light?

Yes. It can't use a simple photo, because that would be far too easy to
get around (using another photo, etc.). Face ID projects thousands of
tiny infrared dots onto your face to measure the depth, etc. and is
purposely designed to also be able to work in total darkness.

About Face ID advanced technology

The technology that enables Face ID is some of the most
advanced hardware and software that we’ve ever created.
The TrueDepth camera captures accurate face data by
projecting and analyzing thousands of invisible dots to
create a depth map of your face and also captures an
infrared image of your face. A portion of the neural
engine of the A11, A12 Bionic, A12X Bionic, A13 Bionic,
A14 Bionic, and A15 Bionic chip—protected within the
Secure Enclave—transforms the depth map and infrared
image into a mathematical representation and compares
that representation to the enrolled facial data.

Face ID automatically adapts to changes in your
appearance, such as wearing cosmetic makeup or growing
facial hair. If there is a more significant change in
your appearance, like shaving a full beard, Face ID
confirms your identity by using your passcode before it
updates your face data. Face ID is designed to work with
hats, scarves, glasses, contact lenses, and many
sunglasses. Furthermore, it's designed to work indoors,
outdoors, and even in total darkness. With iOS 15.4 and
iPhone 12 or later, Face ID even works with face masks.

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/102381>

Re: Face Id in dark

<umitps$22tiv$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11647&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11647

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 00:33:00 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 04:33 UTC

Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote

> I've noticed with amazement that my iPhone 15 Pro Max can ID my face
> even in dark. How does it do it? Using infraread light?

Yes. It can't use a simple photo, because that would be far too easy to
get around (using another photo, etc.). Face ID is an expensive gimmick
which projects thousands of tiny infrared dots onto your face to measure
the depth, etc. and is purposely designed to be a gimmick for iPhone
owners, most of whom live in slums so they need biometric gimmickry which
also be able to work in total darkness when they are being attacked most.

About Apple Face ID advanced biometric stratagem

The artifice that enables Face ID is some of the most
advanced marketing ploys that we've ever created.
The TrueDepth stunt captures accurate face data by
projecting and analyzing thousands of invisible dots to
create a depth map of your face and also captures an
infrared image of your face. A portion of the neural
engine of the A11, A12 Bionic, A12X Bionic, A13 Bionic,
A14 Bionic, and A15 Bionic chip - protected within the
counterfeit Secure Enclave transforms the depth map
gambit into a scientific sounding gizmo and compares
that representation to the simplistic facial data.

The Face ID gimmick somewhat adapts to changes in your
appearance, such as wearing cosmetic makeup or growing
facial hair. If there is a more significant change in
your appearance, like shaving a full beard, Face ID
confirms your identity by using real security before it
updates your face data with this biometric ruse.
Face ID is designed to work best with people who are
stupid, but it also works quite well for those in the
slums, because they are afraid of everyone around them.
That's whom Apple sells to. People living in slums who
are deathly afraid of every single person around them.
Furthermore, these marketing gimmicks are designed to
work indoors, outdoors, and even in total darkness in
the box you must live in if you believe in this gimmick.
With iOS 15.4 and iPhone 12 or later, the Face ID
marketing gimmick for fools even works with face masks.

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/102381102381102381102381102381102381>
--
This has been a adult satire to point out that people who believe in Face
ID are the same people who fall for every marketing trick in the book.

Re: Face Id in dark

<umitva$8u9h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11648&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11648

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 20:35:52 -0800
 by: Alan - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 04:35 UTC

On 2023-12-27 20:33, Wally J wrote:
> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote
>
>> I've noticed with amazement that my iPhone 15 Pro Max can ID my face
>> even in dark. How does it do it? Using infraread light?
>
> Yes. It can't use a simple photo, because that would be far too easy to
> get around (using another photo, etc.). Face ID is an expensive gimmick
> which projects thousands of tiny infrared dots onto your face to measure
> the depth, etc. and is purposely designed to be a gimmick for iPhone
> owners, most of whom live in slums so they need biometric gimmickry which
> also be able to work in total darkness when they are being attacked most.

Amazing.

You are so mind-bendingly stupid you think that only poor people get
things stolen.

Re: Face Id in dark

<umkm4j$gnli$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11657&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11657

From: cameo@unreal.invalid (Cameo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 21:34:32 +0100
 by: Cameo - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 20:34 UTC

On 12/28/2023 1:37 AM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2023-12-27 23:44:40 +0000, Cameo said:
>
>> I've noticed with amazement that my iPhone 15 Pro Max can ID my face
>> even in dark. How does it do it? Using infraread light?
>
> Yes. It can't use a simple photo, because that would be far too easy to
> get around (using another photo, etc.). Face ID projects thousands of
> tiny infrared dots onto your face to measure the depth, etc. and is
> purposely designed to also be able to work in total darkness.
>

>    About Face ID advanced technology
>
>    The technology that enables Face ID is some of the most
>    advanced hardware and software that we’ve ever created.
>    The TrueDepth camera captures accurate face data by
>    projecting and analyzing thousands of invisible dots to
>    create a depth map of your face and also captures an
>    infrared image of your face. A portion of the neural
>    engine of the A11, A12 Bionic, A12X Bionic, A13 Bionic,
>    A14 Bionic, and A15 Bionic chip—protected within the
>    Secure Enclave—transforms the depth map and infrared
>    image into a mathematical representation and compares
>    that representation to the enrolled facial data.
>
>    Face ID automatically adapts to changes in your
>    appearance, such as wearing cosmetic makeup or growing
>    facial hair. If there is a more significant change in
>    your appearance, like shaving a full beard, Face ID
>    confirms your identity by using your passcode before it
>    updates your face data. Face ID is designed to work with
>    hats, scarves, glasses, contact lenses, and many
>    sunglasses. Furthermore, it's designed to work indoors,
>    outdoors, and even in total darkness. With iOS 15.4 and
>    iPhone 12 or later, Face ID even works with face masks.
>
>    <https://support.apple.com/en-us/102381>

Thanks. It sounds that it is harder to defeat than fingerprint Id.

Re: Face Id in dark

<umkpll$h7vd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11658&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11658

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 10:34:45 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 21:34 UTC

On 2023-12-28 20:34:32 +0000, Cameo said:

> On 12/28/2023 1:37 AM, Your Name wrote:
>> On 2023-12-27 23:44:40 +0000, Cameo said:
>>
>>> I've noticed with amazement that my iPhone 15 Pro Max can ID my face
>>> even in dark. How does it do it? Using infraread light?
>>
>> Yes. It can't use a simple photo, because that would be far too easy to
>> get around (using another photo, etc.). Face ID projects thousands of
>> tiny infrared dots onto your face to measure the depth, etc. and is
>> purposely designed to also be able to work in total darkness.
>>
>>   About Face ID advanced technology
>>
>> The technology that enables Face ID is some of the most
>> advanced hardware and software that we’ve ever created.
>>  The TrueDepth camera captures accurate face data by
>>   projecting and analyzing thousands of invisible dots to
>>   create a depth map of your face and also captures an
>>   infrared image of your face. A portion of the neural
>>   engine of the A11, A12 Bionic, A12X Bionic, A13 Bionic,
>>   A14 Bionic, and A15 Bionic chip—protected within the
>>   Secure Enclave—transforms the depth map and infrared
>>   image into a mathematical representation and compares
>>   that representation to the enrolled facial data.
>>
>>   Face ID automatically adapts to changes in your
>>   appearance, such as wearing cosmetic makeup or growing
>>   facial hair. If there is a more significant change in
>>   your appearance, like shaving a full beard, Face ID
>>   confirms your identity by using your passcode before it
>>   updates your face data. Face ID is designed to work with
>>   hats, scarves, glasses, contact lenses, and many
>>   sunglasses. Furthermore, it's designed to work indoors,
>>   outdoors, and even in total darkness. With iOS 15.4 and
>>   iPhone 12 or later, Face ID even works with face masks.
>>
>>   <https://support.apple.com/en-us/102381>
>
> Thanks. It sounds that it is harder to defeat than fingerprint Id.

Supposedly it is, but in reality some people have fooled Face ID, the
obviusly example being twins or even just someone who looks enough like
a sibling or parent. Some people have reportedly used 3D masks as well.

I refuse to use either Face ID or Fingerprint ID, or the stupid 'trace
the pattern' options on some phones. A sensible password is all you
need.

Re: Face Id in dark

<umkq1c$h7qu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11659&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11659

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 13:40:59 -0800
 by: Alan - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 21:40 UTC

On 2023-12-28 13:34, Your Name wrote:
> On 2023-12-28 20:34:32 +0000, Cameo said:

>>> Yes. It can't use a simple photo, because that would be far too easy
>>> to get around (using another photo, etc.). Face ID projects thousands
>>> of tiny infrared dots onto your face to measure the depth, etc. and
>>> is purposely designed to also be able to work in total darkness.
>>>
>>>    About Face ID advanced technology
>>>
>>>   The technology that enables Face ID is some of the most
>>>   advanced hardware and software that we’ve ever created.
>>>   The TrueDepth camera captures accurate face data by
>>>   projecting and analyzing thousands of invisible dots to
>>>   create a depth map of your face and also captures an
>>>   infrared image of your face. A portion of the neural
>>>   engine of the A11, A12 Bionic, A12X Bionic, A13 Bionic,
>>>   A14 Bionic, and A15 Bionic chip—protected within the
>>>   Secure Enclave—transforms the depth map and infrared
>>>   image into a mathematical representation and compares
>>>   that representation to the enrolled facial data.
>>>
>>>   Face ID automatically adapts to changes in your
>>>   appearance, such as wearing cosmetic makeup or growing
>>>   facial hair. If there is a more significant change in
>>>   your appearance, like shaving a full beard, Face ID
>>>   confirms your identity by using your passcode before it
>>>   updates your face data. Face ID is designed to work with
>>>   hats, scarves, glasses, contact lenses, and many
>>>   sunglasses. Furthermore, it's designed to work indoors,
>>>   outdoors, and even in total darkness. With iOS 15.4 and
>>>   iPhone 12 or later, Face ID even works with face masks.
>>>
>>>   <https://support.apple.com/en-us/102381>
>>
>> Thanks. It sounds that it is harder to defeat than fingerprint Id.
>
> Supposedly it is, but in reality some people have fooled Face ID, the
> obviusly example being twins or even just someone who looks enough like
> a sibling or parent. Some people have reportedly used 3D masks as well.

My late brother and I look enough alike that occasionally when my niece
wants me to unlock his iPad, it will just unlock with FaceID.

Re: Face Id in dark

<tAmjN.17088$6ePe.11063@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11660&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11660

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 16:24:25 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 22:24 UTC

Cameo wrote:
> On 12/28/2023 1:37 AM, Your Name wrote:
>> On 2023-12-27 23:44:40 +0000, Cameo said:
>>
>>> I've noticed with amazement that my iPhone 15 Pro Max can ID
>>> my face even in dark. How does it do it? Using infraread light?
>>
>> Yes. It can't use a simple photo, because that would be far
>> too easy to get around (using another photo, etc.). Face ID
>> projects thousands of tiny infrared dots onto your face to
>> measure the depth, etc. and is purposely designed to also be
>> able to work in total darkness.
>>

>>  Â Â  About Face ID advanced technology
>>
>>  Â Â  The technology that enables Face ID is some of the most
>>  Â Â  advanced hardware and software that we’ve ever created.
>>  Â Â  The TrueDepth camera captures accurate face data by
>>  Â Â  projecting and analyzing thousands of invisible dots to
>>  Â Â  create a depth map of your face and also captures an
>>  Â Â  infrared image of your face. A portion of the neural
>>  Â Â  engine of the A11, A12 Bionic, A12X Bionic, A13 Bionic,
>>  Â Â  A14 Bionic, and A15 Bionic chip—protected within the
>>  Â Â  Secure Enclave—transforms the depth map and infrared
>>  Â Â  image into a mathematical representation and compares
>>  Â Â  that representation to the enrolled facial data.
>>
>>  Â Â  Face ID automatically adapts to changes in your
>>  Â Â  appearance, such as wearing cosmetic makeup or growing
>>  Â Â  facial hair. If there is a more significant change in
>>  Â Â  your appearance, like shaving a full beard, Face ID
>>  Â Â  confirms your identity by using your passcode before it
>>  Â Â  updates your face data. Face ID is designed to work with
>>  Â Â  hats, scarves, glasses, contact lenses, and many
>>  Â Â  sunglasses. Furthermore, it's designed to work indoors,
>>  Â Â  outdoors, and even in total darkness. With iOS 15.4 and
>>  Â Â  iPhone 12 or later, Face ID even works with face masks.
>>
>>  Â Â  <https://support.apple.com/en-us/102381>
>
> Thanks. It sounds that it is harder to defeat than fingerprint Id.

Either seems to work pretty well.

Nothing is 100%.

Re: Face Id in dark

<kCmjN.17089$6ePe.11984@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11661&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11661

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 16:26:24 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 22:26 UTC

Your Name wrote:
> On 2023-12-28 20:34:32 +0000, Cameo said:

>>> Yes. It can't use a simple photo, because that would be far
>>> too easy to get around (using another photo, etc.). Face ID
>>> projects thousands of tiny infrared dots onto your face to
>>> measure the depth, etc. and is purposely designed to also be
>>> able to work in total darkness.
>>>
>>>    About Face ID advanced technology
>>>
>>>   The technology that enables Face ID is some of the most
>>>   advanced hardware and software that we’ve ever created.
>>>   The TrueDepth camera captures accurate face data by
>>>   projecting and analyzing thousands of invisible dots to
>>>   create a depth map of your face and also captures an
>>>   infrared image of your face. A portion of the neural
>>>   engine of the A11, A12 Bionic, A12X Bionic, A13 Bionic,
>>>   A14 Bionic, and A15 Bionic chip—protected within the
>>>   Secure Enclave—transforms the depth map and infrared
>>>   image into a mathematical representation and compares
>>>   that representation to the enrolled facial data.
>>>
>>>   Face ID automatically adapts to changes in your
>>>   appearance, such as wearing cosmetic makeup or growing
>>>   facial hair. If there is a more significant change in
>>>   your appearance, like shaving a full beard, Face ID
>>>   confirms your identity by using your passcode before it
>>>   updates your face data. Face ID is designed to work with
>>>   hats, scarves, glasses, contact lenses, and many
>>>   sunglasses. Furthermore, it's designed to work indoors,
>>>   outdoors, and even in total darkness. With iOS 15.4 and
>>>   iPhone 12 or later, Face ID even works with face masks.
>>>
>>>   <https://support.apple.com/en-us/102381>
>>
>> Thanks. It sounds that it is harder to defeat than
>> fingerprint Id.
>
> Supposedly it is, but in reality some people have fooled Face
> ID, the obviusly example being twins or even just someone who
> looks enough like a sibling or parent. Some people have
> reportedly used 3D masks as well.
>
> I refuse to use either Face ID or Fingerprint ID, or the stupid
> 'trace the pattern' options on some phones. A sensible password
> is all you need.

Are you a CIA secret agent? Or british 007 type?

Re: Face Id in dark

<umksn4$2649i$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11662&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11662

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 18:26:44 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 22:26 UTC

Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote

> It sounds that it is harder to defeat than fingerprint Id.

In terms of "defeating" this Apple gimmick - think about it like an adult.

That is, hink about FaceID in light of the fact Apple has so many zero-day
holes that iOS is exploited ten times more in the wild than is Android.

This latest iPhone zero-click exploit took advantage of four (yes, four!)
sequential zero-day holes that Apple never even bothered testing for.

Apple spends all their energy making gimmicks like FaceID instead of
designing the hardware & software (which this exploit took advantage of).

*Whom are you protecting the iPhone from with FaceID?*

Is your spouse that dangerous?
Your kids that malicious?
Your friends that evil?

Think. Think. Think.
Think like an _adult_ would think, Cameo.

Whom are you protecting the iPhone from when Apple is spending all their
money marketing a gimmick to you but Apple doesn't test their own devices?
--
Another way to ask the same question is to ask which slum you live in.

Re: Face Id in dark

<umkt1g$264m9$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11663&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11663

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 18:32:17 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 22:32 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote

> I refuse to use either Face ID or Fingerprint ID, or the stupid 'trace
> the pattern' options on some phones. A sensible password is all you
> need.

I will agree with anyone who makes a logically defensible statement, where
I am happy to be on record with agreeing with Your Name in a "sensible
password" being all that you need (if you need to protect the phone).

Personally, I choose to NOT put even a password on the phone, but I don't
live in the slums so I'm not afraid of my wife, kids and neighbors.

But I don't blame anyone else for putting a password or PIN on their phone
because maybe they don't use encrypted file containers or keepass storage.

I do wonder about the thought process of a person who thinks that a mere
marketing gimmick (which is all FaceID ever was and ever will be), is
"security" since FaceID was never meant to be more than a marketing ploy.

Anyone fooled into thinking a marketing ploy is real security, is a moron.
--
The real threat to your device data isn't your wife, kids & neighbors
(unless you live in a slum); the real threats are all the zero-day holes.

Re: Face Id in dark

<umkud3$hr25$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11664&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11664

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 14:55:28 -0800
 by: Alan - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 22:55 UTC

On 2023-12-28 14:32, Wally J wrote:
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote
>
>> I refuse to use either Face ID or Fingerprint ID, or the stupid 'trace
>> the pattern' options on some phones. A sensible password is all you
>> need.
>
> I will agree with anyone who makes a logically defensible statement, where
> I am happy to be on record with agreeing with Your Name in a "sensible
> password" being all that you need (if you need to protect the phone).
>
> Personally, I choose to NOT put even a password on the phone, but I don't
> live in the slums so I'm not afraid of my wife, kids and neighbors.

And you never go to a public place such as a restaurant or a bar...

> But I don't blame anyone else for putting a password or PIN on their phone
> because maybe they don't use encrypted file containers or keepass storage.
>
> I do wonder about the thought process of a person who thinks that a mere
> marketing gimmick (which is all FaceID ever was and ever will be), is
> "security" since FaceID was never meant to be more than a marketing ploy.
>
> Anyone fooled into thinking a marketing ploy is real security, is a moron.

Re: Face Id in dark

<umm6gj$q09i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11674&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11674

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 10:20:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:/sqvUSF2UxkX8BBZV2wEfWyOivU=
 by: Chris - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 10:20 UTC

Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:
> On 12/28/2023 1:37 AM, Your Name wrote:
>> On 2023-12-27 23:44:40 +0000, Cameo said:
>>
>>> I've noticed with amazement that my iPhone 15 Pro Max can ID my face
>>> even in dark. How does it do it? Using infraread light?
>>
>> Yes. It can't use a simple photo, because that would be far too easy to
>> get around (using another photo, etc.). Face ID projects thousands of
>> tiny infrared dots onto your face to measure the depth, etc. and is
>> purposely designed to also be able to work in total darkness.
>>

>>    About Face ID advanced technology
>>
>>    The technology that enables Face ID is some of the most
>>    advanced hardware and software that we’ve ever created.
>>    The TrueDepth camera captures accurate face data by
>>    projecting and analyzing thousands of invisible dots to
>>    create a depth map of your face and also captures an
>>    infrared image of your face. A portion of the neural
>>    engine of the A11, A12 Bionic, A12X Bionic, A13 Bionic,
>>    A14 Bionic, and A15 Bionic chip—protected within the
>>    Secure Enclave—transforms the depth map and infrared
>>    image into a mathematical representation and compares
>>    that representation to the enrolled facial data.
>>
>>    Face ID automatically adapts to changes in your
>>    appearance, such as wearing cosmetic makeup or growing
>>    facial hair. If there is a more significant change in
>>    your appearance, like shaving a full beard, Face ID
>>    confirms your identity by using your passcode before it
>>    updates your face data. Face ID is designed to work with
>>    hats, scarves, glasses, contact lenses, and many
>>    sunglasses. Furthermore, it's designed to work indoors,
>>    outdoors, and even in total darkness. With iOS 15.4 and
>>    iPhone 12 or later, Face ID even works with face masks.
>>
>>    <https://support.apple.com/en-us/102381>
>
> Thanks. It sounds that it is harder to defeat than fingerprint Id.

It depends what you mean by defeat. If you mean pick up a random phone and
be able to unlock it then they're equivalent.

FaceID in theory works well, but in practice is vulnerable to unlocking by
people who look like you e.g. close family members or even a spouse who
regularly borrows your phone and knows the PIN.

Re: Face Id in dark

<ummslc$2e3jf$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11675&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11675

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 12:38:04 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:38 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote

>> Thanks. It sounds that it is harder to defeat than fingerprint Id.
>
> It depends what you mean by defeat. If you mean pick up a random phone and
> be able to unlock it then they're equivalent.
>
> FaceID in theory works well, but in practice is vulnerable to unlocking by
> people who look like you e.g. close family members or even a spouse who
> regularly borrows your phone and knows the PIN.

FaceID is targeted directly to people who live in the worst slums, Chris?

Just as you were ignorant of the use of common immunological words, Chris,
all of you ignorati who fell for Apple's marketing campaign to
differentiate the iPhone as "special" by such meaningless FaceID gimmicks.
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/9eiX08J_g_w>

The truth is that the iPhone is full of holes, so many, in fact, that the
latest hardware exploit (and yes, it has been exploited, Chris), was due to
a series of four (yes, four!) zero-day holes Apple had never tested for.

The result is yet another zero-day zero-click exploit in Apple's software.
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/RZJqU-mc9zM>

Apple wants you to think you should be afraid of your wife, kids, family
and friends - but whom you should be afraid of are those who exploit iOS.
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/gvHb8ahM0ac>

What Apple should be doing, instead of marketing meaningless FaceID
gimmicks to the masses - is sufficiently test their software for holes.
--
Instead of wasting marketing dollars on gimmicks such as FaceID, Apple
should be spending R&D dollars actually testing their software for bugs.

Re: Face Id in dark

<ummvdn$t9fh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11679&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11679

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 09:25:11 -0800
 by: Alan - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 17:25 UTC

On 2023-12-29 08:38, Wally J wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote
>
>>> Thanks. It sounds that it is harder to defeat than fingerprint Id.
>>
>> It depends what you mean by defeat. If you mean pick up a random phone and
>> be able to unlock it then they're equivalent.
>>
>> FaceID in theory works well, but in practice is vulnerable to unlocking by
>> people who look like you e.g. close family members or even a spouse who
>> regularly borrows your phone and knows the PIN.
>
> FaceID is targeted directly to people who live in the worst slums, Chris?
>
> Just as you were ignorant of the use of common immunological words, Chris,
> all of you ignorati who fell for Apple's marketing campaign to
> differentiate the iPhone as "special" by such meaningless FaceID gimmicks.
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/9eiX08J_g_w>
>
> The truth is that the iPhone is full of holes, so many, in fact, that the
> latest hardware exploit (and yes, it has been exploited, Chris), was due to
> a series of four (yes, four!) zero-day holes Apple had never tested for.
>
> The result is yet another zero-day zero-click exploit in Apple's software.
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/RZJqU-mc9zM>
>
> Apple wants you to think you should be afraid of your wife, kids, family
> and friends - but whom you should be afraid of are those who exploit iOS.
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/gvHb8ahM0ac>
>
> What Apple should be doing, instead of marketing meaningless FaceID
> gimmicks to the masses - is sufficiently test their software for holes.

"If you disagree, you'll simply force me to find the cites"

Re: Face Id in dark

<umneqn$vluc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11683&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11683

From: cameo@unreal.invalid (Cameo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 22:48:06 +0100
 by: Cameo - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 21:48 UTC

On 12/28/2023 10:34 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2023-12-28 20:34:32 +0000, Cameo said:

>>> Yes. It can't use a simple photo, because that would be far too easy
>>> to get around (using another photo, etc.). Face ID projects thousands
>>> of tiny infrared dots onto your face to measure the depth, etc. and
>>> is purposely designed to also be able to work in total darkness.
>>>
>>>    About Face ID advanced technology
>>>
>>>   The technology that enables Face ID is some of the most
>>>   advanced hardware and software that we’ve ever created.
>>>   The TrueDepth camera captures accurate face data by
>>>   projecting and analyzing thousands of invisible dots to
>>>   create a depth map of your face and also captures an
>>>   infrared image of your face. A portion of the neural
>>>   engine of the A11, A12 Bionic, A12X Bionic, A13 Bionic,
>>>   A14 Bionic, and A15 Bionic chip—protected within the
>>>   Secure Enclave—transforms the depth map and infrared
>>>   image into a mathematical representation and compares
>>>   that representation to the enrolled facial data.
>>>
>>>   Face ID automatically adapts to changes in your
>>>   appearance, such as wearing cosmetic makeup or growing
>>>   facial hair. If there is a more significant change in
>>>   your appearance, like shaving a full beard, Face ID
>>>   confirms your identity by using your passcode before it
>>>   updates your face data. Face ID is designed to work with
>>>   hats, scarves, glasses, contact lenses, and many
>>>   sunglasses. Furthermore, it's designed to work indoors,
>>>   outdoors, and even in total darkness. With iOS 15.4 and
>>>   iPhone 12 or later, Face ID even works with face masks.
>>>
>>>   <https://support.apple.com/en-us/102381>
>>
>> Thanks. It sounds that it is harder to defeat than fingerprint Id.
>
> Supposedly it is, but in reality some people have fooled Face ID, the
> obviusly example being twins or even just someone who looks enough like
> a sibling or parent. Some people have reportedly used 3D masks as well.
>
> I refuse to use either Face ID or Fingerprint ID, or the stupid 'trace
> the pattern' options on some phones. A sensible password is all you need.

So would it recognize my face even after I grew beard?

Re: Face Id in dark

<umnn0s$10n14$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11688&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11688

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 13:07:56 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 00:07 UTC

On 2023-12-29 21:48:06 +0000, Cameo said:
> On 12/28/2023 10:34 PM, Your Name wrote:

>>> Thanks. It sounds that it is harder to defeat than fingerprint Id.
>>
>> Supposedly it is, but in reality some people have fooled Face ID, the
>> obviusly example being twins or even just someone who looks enough like
>> a sibling or parent. Some people have reportedly used 3D masks as well.
>>
>> I refuse to use either Face ID or Fingerprint ID, or the stupid 'trace
>> the pattern' options on some phones. A sensible password is all you
>> need.
>
> So would it recognize my face even after I grew beard?

Maybe ... maybe not.

Re: Face Id in dark

<kv9bggFk2srU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11689&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11689

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 30 Dec 2023 01:53:20 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 01:53 UTC

On 2023-12-29, Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:

> So would it recognize my face even after I grew beard?

Of course. See above.

JR

Re: Face Id in dark

<umq0u0$1dd93$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11690&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11690

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:09:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:I+vBHd+8hRZLLeZAzktqKuGw/0c=
 by: Chris - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:09 UTC

Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:
> On 12/28/2023 10:34 PM, Your Name wrote:

>>> Thanks. It sounds that it is harder to defeat than fingerprint Id.
>>
>> Supposedly it is, but in reality some people have fooled Face ID, the
>> obviusly example being twins or even just someone who looks enough like
>> a sibling or parent. Some people have reportedly used 3D masks as well.
>>
>> I refuse to use either Face ID or Fingerprint ID, or the stupid 'trace
>> the pattern' options on some phones. A sensible password is all you need.
>
> So would it recognize my face even after I grew beard?

Yes.

Re: Face Id in dark

<vPLkN.21641$6ePe.1362@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11705&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11705

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 21:56:04 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 03:56 UTC

Chris wrote:
> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:

>>> Supposedly it is, but in reality some people have fooled Face ID, the
>>> obviusly example being twins or even just someone who looks enough like
>>> a sibling or parent. Some people have reportedly used 3D masks as well.
>>>
>>> I refuse to use either Face ID or Fingerprint ID, or the stupid 'trace
>>> the pattern' options on some phones. A sensible password is all you need.
>>
>> So would it recognize my face even after I grew beard?
>
> Yes.

It'll probably work even if he wears one of those gruesome
rubber Halloween masks. Apple stuff always just works.

Re: Face Id in dark

<un1itr$2pmv4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11710&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11710

From: cameo@unreal.invalid (Cameo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:59:25 +0100
 by: Cameo - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 17:59 UTC

On 1/2/2024 4:56 AM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:

>>> So would it recognize my face even after I grew beard?
>>
>> Yes.
>>

> It'll probably work even if he wears one of those gruesome rubber
> Halloween masks. Apple stuff always just works.

With a medical mask did not recognize me and I had to use the PIN
number. But that's how I expect it to work, anyway.

Re: Face Id in dark

<yvmdnUKh38lUFAn4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11712&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11712

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 22:10:17 +0000
 by: Ant - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 22:10 UTC

Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:
> On 1/2/2024 4:56 AM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> > Chris wrote:

> >> Yes.
> >>

> > It'll probably work even if he wears one of those gruesome rubber
> > Halloween masks. Apple stuff always just works.

> With a medical mask did not recognize me and I had to use the PIN
> number. But that's how I expect it to work, anyway.

But you can tell iPhone to do your masked face since iOS v15.4 in
supported iPhones as shown in https://support.apple.com/en-us/102452. I
know 11 Pro Max can't do it. For my 12 mini, masked Face ID doesn't
always work compared to no masks. I have to adjust my iPhone and move my
head to get it to work.
--
"He [the Word, the One we know as Jesus,] was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made." --John 1:2-3. :) NY, but will 2024 B worse? :(
| |o o| |

Re: Face Id in dark

<op.2gxztgjmjicqwt@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11713&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11713

From: klop@gmail.com (ken)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 10:06:42 +1100
 by: ken - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 23:06 UTC

On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 08:34:45 +1100, Your Name <YourName@yourisp.com> wrote:

> On 2023-12-28 20:34:32 +0000, Cameo said:

>>> Yes. It can't use a simple photo, because that would be far too easy
>>> to get around (using another photo, etc.). Face ID projects thousands
>>> of tiny infrared dots onto your face to measure the depth, etc. and is
>>> purposely designed to also be able to work in total darkness.
>>> About Face ID advanced technology
>>> The technology that enables Face ID is some of the most
>>> advanced hardware and software that we’ve ever created.
>>> The TrueDepth camera captures accurate face data by
>>> projecting and analyzing thousands of invisible dots to
>>> create a depth map of your face and also captures an
>>> infrared image of your face. A portion of the neural
>>> engine of the A11, A12 Bionic, A12X Bionic, A13 Bionic,
>>> A14 Bionic, and A15 Bionic chip—protected within the
>>> Secure Enclave—transforms the depth map and infrared
>>> image into a mathematical representation and compares
>>> that representation to the enrolled facial data.
>>> Face ID automatically adapts to changes in your
>>> appearance, such as wearing cosmetic makeup or growing
>>> facial hair. If there is a more significant change in
>>> your appearance, like shaving a full beard, Face ID
>>> confirms your identity by using your passcode before it
>>> updates your face data. Face ID is designed to work with
>>> hats, scarves, glasses, contact lenses, and many
>>> sunglasses. Furthermore, it's designed to work indoors,
>>> outdoors, and even in total darkness. With iOS 15.4 and
>>> iPhone 12 or later, Face ID even works with face masks.
>>> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/102381>
>> Thanks. It sounds that it is harder to defeat than fingerprint Id.
>
> Supposedly it is, but in reality some people have fooled Face ID, the
> obviusly example being twins or even just someone who looks enough like
> a sibling or parent. Some people have reportedly used 3D masks as well..

> I refuse to use either Face ID or Fingerprint ID,

More fool you. 1

> or the stupid 'trace the pattern' options on some phones. A sensible
> password is all you need.

But is nowhere near as convenient to use.

Re: Face Id in dark

<un27g0$2t60o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11714&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11714

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 12:50:25 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 23:50 UTC

On 2024-01-02 23:06:42 +0000, ken said:
> On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 08:34:45 +1100, Your Name <YourName@yourisp.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks. It sounds that it is harder to defeat than fingerprint Id.
>>
>> Supposedly it is, but in reality some people have fooled Face ID, the
>> obviusly example being twins or even just someone who looks enough like
>> a sibling or parent. Some people have reportedly used 3D masks as well.
>
>> I refuse to use either Face ID or Fingerprint ID,
>
> More fool you. 1
>
>> or the stupid 'trace the pattern' options on some phones. A sensible
>> password is all you need.
>
> But is nowhere near as convenient to use.

It takes a couple of seconds (at most) longer ... whoop-de-doo! :-\
I'm not a lazy-ass, so I'd rather have usability and reliablility over
flakey gimmickry any day.

Re: Face Id in dark

<0A1lN.118748$PuZ9.12363@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11715&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11715

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:08:23 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 00:08 UTC

Ant wrote:
> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:

>>> It'll probably work even if he wears one of those gruesome rubber
>>> Halloween masks. Apple stuff always just works.
>
>> With a medical mask did not recognize me and I had to use the PIN
>> number. But that's how I expect it to work, anyway.
>
> But you can tell iPhone to do your masked face since iOS v15.4 in
> supported iPhones as shown in https://support.apple.com/en-us/102452. I
> know 11 Pro Max can't do it. For my 12 mini, masked Face ID doesn't
> always work compared to no masks. I have to adjust my iPhone and move my
> head to get it to work.

I thought they fixed it to work with masks on, quite some time
ago. I remember nospam crowing about it constantly. I didn't
pay much attention since I have fingerprint ID.

It sounds like the fix was just a half ass job :)