news: gotcha

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Re: Face Id in dark

SubjectAuthor
* Face Id in darkCameo
+* Re: Face Id in darkYour Name
|`* Re: Face Id in darkCameo
| +* Re: Face Id in darkYour Name
| |+- Re: Face Id in darkAlan
| |+- Re: Face Id in darkHank Rogers
| |+* Re: Face Id in darkWally J
| ||`- Re: Face Id in darkAlan
| |+* Re: Face Id in darkCameo
| ||+- Re: Face Id in darkYour Name
| ||+- Re: Face Id in darkJolly Roger
| ||`* Re: Face Id in darkChris
| || `* Re: Face Id in darkHank Rogers
| ||  +* Re: Face Id in darkCameo
| ||  |`* Re: Face Id in darkAnt
| ||  | +- Re: Face Id in darkHank Rogers
| ||  | `* Re: Face Id in darkJolly Roger
| ||  |  `* Re: Face Id in darkCameo
| ||  |   `- Re: Face Id in darkJolly Roger
| ||  `- Re: Face Id in darkJolly Roger
| |`* Re: Face Id in darkken
| | `* Re: Face Id in darkYour Name
| |  `- Re: Face Id in darkCameo
| +- Re: Face Id in darkHank Rogers
| +- Re: Face Id in darkWally J
| `* Re: Face Id in darkChris
|  `* Re: Face Id in darkWally J
|   `- Re: Face Id in darkAlan
`* Re: Face Id in darkWally J
 `- Re: Face Id in darkAlan

Pages:12
Re: Face Id in dark

<kvjv9vFhn12U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11716&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11716

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Face Id in dark
Date: 3 Jan 2024 02:32:31 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 02:32 UTC

On 2024-01-02, Hank Rogers <hank@nospam.invalid> wrote:
V> Chris wrote:
>> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> So would it recognize my face even after I grew beard?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> It'll probably work even if he wears one of those gruesome rubber
> Halloween masks.

Nope. It uses AI to detect *gradual* changes in appearance, but will not
accept drastic or sudden changes.

JR

Re: Face Id in dark

<kvjvdgFhn12U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11717&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11717

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 3 Jan 2024 02:34:25 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 02:34 UTC

On 2024-01-02, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:

>> > It'll probably work even if he wears one of those gruesome rubber
>> > Halloween masks. Apple stuff always just works.
>
>> With a medical mask did not recognize me and I had to use the PIN
>> number. But that's how I expect it to work, anyway.
>
> But you can tell iPhone to do your masked face since iOS v15.4 in
> supported iPhones as shown in https://support.apple.com/en-us/102452.

While you can do that, it reduces security since it effectively tells
Face ID to ignore the bottom portion of your face that is covered by a
mask. A much more secure option is to unlock your iPhone with your Apple
Watch while wearing a mask. I've used that method extensively, and it's
great.

JR

Re: Face Id in dark

<un3pl8$37lig$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11719&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11719

From: cameo@unreal.invalid (Cameo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:06:36 +0100
 by: Cameo - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 14:06 UTC

On 1/3/2024 3:34 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2024-01-02, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:

>>> With a medical mask did not recognize me and I had to use the PIN
>>> number. But that's how I expect it to work, anyway.
>>
>> But you can tell iPhone to do your masked face since iOS v15.4 in
>> supported iPhones as shown in https://support.apple.com/en-us/102452.
>
> While you can do that, it reduces security since it effectively tells
> Face ID to ignore the bottom portion of your face that is covered by a
> mask. A much more secure option is to unlock your iPhone with your Apple
> Watch while wearing a mask. I've used that method extensively, and it's
> great.

It was enough spending for the iPhone 15 Pro Max for now. Especially
since I can still use, in a limited way, my Fossil watch, previously
used with my Android phone.

https://www.fossil.com/en-au/products/gen-5-smartwatch-the-carlyle-hr-black-silicone-/FTW4025.html

Re: Face Id in dark

<un3pob$37lig$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11720&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11720

From: cameo@unreal.invalid (Cameo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:08:15 +0100
 by: Cameo - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 14:08 UTC

On 1/3/2024 12:50 AM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2024-01-02 23:06:42 +0000, ken said:
>> On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 08:34:45 +1100, Your Name <YourName@yourisp.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Supposedly it is, but in reality some people have fooled Face ID, the
>>> obviusly example being twins or even just someone who looks enough
>>> like a sibling or parent. Some people have reportedly used 3D masks
>>> as well.
>>
>>> I refuse to use either Face ID or Fingerprint ID,
>>
>> More fool you. 1
>>
>>> or the stupid 'trace the pattern' options on some phones. A sensible
>>> password is all you need.
>>
>> But is nowhere near as convenient to use.
>
> It takes a couple of seconds (at most) longer ... whoop-de-doo!  :-\
> I'm not a lazy-ass, so I'd rather have usability and reliablility over
> flakey gimmickry any day.

Have it your way then.

Re: Face Id in dark

<kvlj5qFr6o9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=11721&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#11721

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 3 Jan 2024 17:17:47 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 17:17 UTC

On 2024-01-03, Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:
> On 1/3/2024 3:34 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> But you can tell iPhone to do your masked face since iOS v15.4 in
>>> supported iPhones as shown in
>>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/102452.
>>
>> While you can do that, it reduces security since it effectively tells
>> Face ID to ignore the bottom portion of your face that is covered by
>> a mask. A much more secure option is to unlock your iPhone with your
>> Apple Watch while wearing a mask. I've used that method extensively,
>> and it's great.
>
> It was enough spending for the iPhone 15 Pro Max for now.

I'm just commenting on the caveats of this particular feature. You do
you.

JR