Whom the gods would destroy, they first teach BASIC.

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

SubjectAuthor
* microsoft bests apple as most valuable companybadgolferman
+* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyPatrick
|+* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyChris
||`* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyRod Speed
|| +* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyBlueshirt
|| |+* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyYour Name
|| |`- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyAlan Browne
|| `- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyChris
|+- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyJoerg Lorenz
|`- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyRod Speed
`* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyAlan
 +- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyRod Speed
 `* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companybadgolferman
  +* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyAlan
  |`* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyRod Speed
  | `* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyJolly Roger
  |  `- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyRod Speed
  +- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyChris
  `- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyBlueshirt

Pages:12
microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<updfpc$16la8$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12050&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12050

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 12:51:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 12:51 UTC

On Tuesday, Microsoft reported its fifth consecutive quarter of record
revenue, booking $62 billion in sales, and just last week its market
capitalization — the total value of all of its shares put together —
surpassed $3 trillion, making it the most valuable company in the world.

It has even leapfrogged Apple, which has long held onto the crown of
biggest tech giant in the world, churning out sleek iPhones and finding new
ways to charge its customers monthly subscriptions for services.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/microsoft-is-back-how-ai-put-the-five-decade-old-tech-giant-on-top-again/ar-BB1hwBCQ

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upi51p$cr71$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12085&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12085

From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 01:19:22 -0600
 by: Patrick - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 07:19 UTC

On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 12:51:57 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:
> Microsoft reported its fifth consecutive quarter of record
> revenue

The main reason Windows dominates is it can do anything you need it to do.
It's the same reason that Android dominates over the iPhone world wide too.

The main reason that Apple has only a tiny (but loyal) subset of the world
market is that a platform that only works within itself is too limited for
most people and for most corporations - but it works well for the crazies.

Those crazies are happy to buy everything Apple wants to sell, and since
they're willing to put up with the limitations, that model works for them.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upi60h$2gs2s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12086&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12086

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 07:35:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Ic6kl4JuLjgfAQqbXN8GU66njM0=
 by: Chris - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 07:35 UTC

Patrick <patrick@oleary.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 12:51:57 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:
>> Microsoft reported its fifth consecutive quarter of record
>> revenue
>
> The main reason Windows dominates is it can do anything you need it to do.
> It's the same reason that Android dominates over the iPhone world wide too.

This has got nothing to do with the consumer space. Microsoft are making
huge amounts of money from their cloud and AI products.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upiuir$2kqr9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12087&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12087

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 15:35:06 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 14:35 UTC

On 02.02.24 08:19, Patrick wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 12:51:57 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:
>> Microsoft reported its fifth consecutive quarter of record
>> revenue
>
> The main reason Windows dominates is it can do anything you need it to do.
> It's the same reason that Android dominates over the iPhone world wide too.

Nonsense. You are a Troll.

--
"Manus manum lavat."

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<op.2ijivwx8byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12095&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12095

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 11:41:46 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 00:41 UTC

Patrick <patrick@oleary.com> wrote
> badgolferman wrote

>> Microsoft reported its fifth consecutivequarter of record revenue

> The main reason Windows dominates is it can do anything you need it to
> do.

Its far from clear what proportion of the MS revenue comes from
Windows now, particularly given that Win10 and Win11 were free for
most and because MS is so important in the games machine market now.

> It's the same reason that Android dominates over the iPhone world wide
> too.

Nope, the main reason for that is that there is far more
competition in the smartphone market with android and
apple doesnt even bother with the low end smartphone market.

> The main reason that Apple has only a tiny (but loyal) subset

It isnt tiny.

> of the world market is that a platform that only works within itself

That's bullshit with what people do with their phones.

> is too limited for most people and for most corporations

It isnt limited at all.

> - but it works well for the crazies.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

> Those crazies are happy to buy everything Apple wants to sell,

Even sillier than you usually manage.

> and since they're willing to put up with the limitations,

There are in fact very few limitations and you
can't explain which it was actually by far the
highest value tech operaiton for so long.

> that model works for them.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<op.2ijiyogpbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12096&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12096

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 11:43:26 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 00:43 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote
> Patrick <patrick@oleary.com> wrote
>> badgolferman wrote

>>> Microsoft reported its fifth consecutive quarter of record
>>> revenue
>>
>> The main reason Windows dominates is it can do anything you need it to
>> do.
>> It's the same reason that Android dominates over the iPhone world wide
>> too.
>
> This has got nothing to do with the consumer space. Microsoft are making
> huge amounts of money from their cloud and AI products.

Do you have a breakdown of their revenue by sector ?

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<nnd$29afb284$5a07f87d@7a6c2680dc80398d>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12098&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12098

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 02:13:36 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 01:13 UTC

Rod Speed wrote:

> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote
> >Patrick <patrick@oleary.com> wrote
> > > badgolferman wrote

> > > The main reason Windows dominates is it can do anything you
> > > need it to do. It's the same reason that Android dominates
> > > over the iPhone world wide too.
> >
> > This has got nothing to do with the consumer space. Microsoft are
> > making huge amounts of money from their cloud and AI products.
>
> Do you have a breakdown of their revenue by sector ?

I'd assume that revenue from their X-Box and gaming market are
contributory factors too.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upkb21$2vr7g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12099&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12099

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:14:09 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 03:14 UTC

Patrick <patrick@oleary.com> wrote
> badgolferman wrote

>> Microsoft reported its fifth consecutive quarter of record
>> revenue
>
> The main reason Windows dominates is it can do anything you
> need it to do.

The problem with Windoze is that it can't do ANYTHING. It's a horrible,
useless, slow, messy, knock-off of the MacOS ... always has been,
always will be. Microsoft cannot and have not ever made anything
themselves - they buy out, copy, or steal everything they make, and
then make it much worse.

The only tech industry conman worse than Bill Gates is Elon Musk.

> It's the same reason that Android dominates over the iPhone world wide too.

Android is barely any better than Windoze.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upl2dl$1a2oj$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12102&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12102

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:22:53 +0530
 by: Indira - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 09:52 UTC

Your Name wrote:

>> It's the same reason that Android dominates over the iPhone world wide too.
>
> Android is barely any better than Windoze.

Yet there's absolutely nothing the iPhone can do that Android didn't do
years ago, and Android also does hundreds of useful things that iOS can't.

The reason Android dominates over iOS worldwide is the iPhone is nothing
more than a dumb terminal that requires connecting to Apple servers.

Another reason few people are dumb enough to choose the Apple ecosystem is
that the costs are astronomical just to make it work like you want it to.

And the only people who can afford to waste all that money just trying to
get the iPhone to work in the real world are those in industrialized areas.

Like the USA, and maybe Europe (although Apple only garners 7% of its
revenue from Europe according to reports I saw about it earlier today).

The rest of the world can't afford the cost to make an iPhone work because
you have to be on the Internet in order for it to do anything useful and
you have to buy expensive storage because it lacks portable capabilities,
and you have to buy separate chargers and specialized earphones too.

The whole Apple ecosystem is designed for dumb people to waste their money.

While sensible people shun the dumb-terminal design of the Apple ecosystem,
there are enough wealthy idiots in the industrialized world that Apple is
laughing at them all the way to the bank while cashing in on those idiots.

Like you.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<xn0ohmqxavhahnr001@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12104&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12104

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 13:22:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 13:22 UTC

Your Name wrote:

>The problem with Windoze is that it can't do ANYTHING. It's a
>horrible, useless, slow, messy, knock-off of the MacOS ... always has
>been, always will be. Microsoft cannot and have not ever made
>anything themselves - they buy out, copy, or steal everything they
>make, and then make it much worse.

Your incredible bias against anything Apple is on full display. Don't
you get tired of being wrong so often? Maybe Arlen is right about
you...

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upli66$35g20$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12105&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12105

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 14:21:58 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:oR/w9aflfLaqd4OAC5IeoBodK3s=
 by: Chris - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 14:21 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote
>> Patrick <patrick@oleary.com> wrote
>>> badgolferman wrote

>>> The main reason Windows dominates is it can do anything you need it to
>>> do.
>>> It's the same reason that Android dominates over the iPhone world wide
>>> too.
>>
>> This has got nothing to do with the consumer space. Microsoft are making
>> huge amounts of money from their cloud and AI products.
>
> Do you have a breakdown of their revenue by sector ?

Last I looked it's in their financial reports. It's normally broken down by
their business units which then to have to work out what products fit in
the units.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<BysvN.323522$xHn7.249695@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12106&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12106

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:00:49 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:00 UTC

On 2024-02-02 20:13, Blueshirt wrote:

> I'd assume that revenue from their X-Box and gaming market are
> contributory factors too.

Absent Ballmer (10 years), MS can only do better and better.

The Activision acquisition certainly helped.

MS has grown in all segments well, notably services/cloud; AI enthusiasm
is also dialed into the current price as it is being integrated into MS
products (and other company's products).

Converting cash to acquisitions is also bolstering the price.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<hHsvN.323523$xHn7.223295@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12107&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12107

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:10:05 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:10 UTC

On 2024-02-02 22:14, Your Name wrote:

> The problem with Windoze is that it can't do ANYTHING. It's a horrible,
> useless, slow, messy, knock-off of the MacOS ...

You never give up a chance to knock MS and it's indicative of mental
health issues. Do you read what you write: "can't do ANYTHING"? Sheesh
- you need help to at least evict MS from free rent in your head.

Fact is Windows is very successful and reliable - for that matter, the
'guts' of it have 0 content from decades past and it is the platform of
choice for front and back offices worldwide, used in production, and as
the core of Apple's cloud services - which is a major cash contributor
for MS.

(famously: many Apple products are built on lines controlled by ...
Windows machines), indeed at some point MS servers populated Apple owned
server farms - not sure about today's state.

as to "knock-off of the MacOS", well that is a stretch - other than GUI
(where everyone was heading eventually), the OS' are very far apart in
design.

Please: for your own sake, stop with your obsession.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<uplqc6$1avkj$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12109&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12109

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:41:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:41 UTC

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Your Name wrote:
>
>> The problem with Windoze is that it can't do ANYTHING. It's a
>> horrible, useless, slow, messy, knock-off of the MacOS ... always has
>> been, always will be. Microsoft cannot and have not ever made
>> anything themselves - they buy out, copy, or steal everything they
>> make, and then make it much worse.
>

> Your incredible bias against anything Apple is on full display. Don't
> you get tired of being wrong so often? Maybe Arlen is right about
> you...

Just for the record and to make sure Your Name isn’t confused…

Your incredible bias against anything NON-Apple is on full display.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<uplqff$1avq7$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12110&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12110

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:43:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:43 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> (famously: many Apple products are built on lines controlled by ...
> Windows machines), indeed at some point MS servers populated Apple owned
> server farms -

Oh the irony…
Your Name’s head will explode when he sees this.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upm350$38c59$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12112&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12112

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:11:27 -0800
 by: Alan - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:11 UTC

On 2024-01-31 04:51, badgolferman wrote:
> On Tuesday, Microsoft reported its fifth consecutive quarter of record
> revenue, booking $62 billion in sales, and just last week its market
> capitalization — the total value of all of its shares put together —
> surpassed $3 trillion, making it the most valuable company in the world.
>
> It has even leapfrogged Apple, which has long held onto the crown of
> biggest tech giant in the world, churning out sleek iPhones and finding new
> ways to charge its customers monthly subscriptions for services.
>
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/microsoft-is-back-how-ai-put-the-five-decade-old-tech-giant-on-top-again/ar-BB1hwBCQ

And why would anyone care?

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<op.2ikyit1obyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12113&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12113

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 06:17:07 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:17 UTC

On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 06:11:27 +1100, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> On 2024-01-31 04:51, badgolferman wrote:
>> On Tuesday, Microsoft reported its fifth consecutive quarter of record
>> revenue, booking $62 billion in sales, and just last week its market
>> capitalization — the total value of all of its shares put together —
>> surpassed $3 trillion, making it the most valuable company in the world.
>> It has even leapfrogged Apple, which has long held onto the crown of
>> biggest tech giant in the world, churning out sleek iPhones and finding
>> new
>> ways to charge its customers monthly subscriptions for services.
>>
>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/microsoft-is-back-how-ai-put-the-five-decade-old-tech-giant-on-top-again/ar-BB1hwBCQ
>
> And why would anyone care?

Its interesting to see what works in the tech market.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<xn0ohn1kwvvpgg1003@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12115&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12115

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 20:06:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 20:06 UTC

Alan wrote:

>On 2024-01-31 04:51, badgolferman wrote:
>>On Tuesday, Microsoft reported its fifth consecutive quarter of
>>record revenue, booking $62 billion in sales, and just last week
>>its market capitalization — the total value of all of its shares
>>put together — surpassed $3 trillion, making it the most valuable
>>company in the world.
>>
>>It has even leapfrogged Apple, which has long held onto the crown of
>>biggest tech giant in the world, churning out sleek iPhones and
>>finding new ways to charge its customers monthly subscriptions for
>>services.
>>
>>https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/microsoft-is-back-how-ai-put-the-five-decade-old-tech-giant-on-top-again/ar-BB1hwBCQ
>
>And why would anyone care?

Purchase MSFT rather than AAPL. Your money will be worth more.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upm6pq$397iq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12116&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12116

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 09:13:46 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 20:13 UTC

On 2024-02-03 13:22:30 +0000, badgolferman said:
> Your Name wrote:
>>
>> The problem with Windoze is that it can't do ANYTHING. It's a
>> horrible, useless, slow, messy, knock-off of the MacOS ... always has
>> been, always will be. Microsoft cannot and have not ever made
>> anything themselves - they buy out, copy, or steal everything they
>> make, and then make it much worse.
>
> Your incredible bias against anything Apple is on full display. Don't
> you get tired of being wrong so often? Maybe Arlen is right about
> you...

Most people detest using Windoze, Word, etc. and only do so because
they're forced to by work where the management blindly decided to go
with the cheap Microsloth option, and have been paying the price ever
since.

Most people who change to Apple never go back to Windoze.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<xn0ohn1v8vw4g1t004@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12117&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12117

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 20:17:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 20:17 UTC

Your Name wrote:

>On 2024-02-03 13:22:30 +0000, badgolferman said:
>>Your Name wrote:
>>>
>>>The problem with Windoze is that it can't do ANYTHING. It's a
>>>horrible, useless, slow, messy, knock-off of the MacOS ... always
>>>has been, always will be. Microsoft cannot and have not ever made
>>>anything themselves - they buy out, copy, or steal everything they
>>>make, and then make it much worse.
>>
>>Your incredible bias against anything Apple is on full display.
>>Don't you get tired of being wrong so often? Maybe Arlen is right
>>about you...
>
>Most people detest using Windoze, Word, etc. and only do so because
>they're forced to by work where the management blindly decided to go
>with the cheap Microsloth option, and have been paying the price ever
>since.
>
>Most people who change to Apple never go back to Windoze.

"Most"...

Care to cite that with statistics other than your own fantasies?

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<XkBvN.254152$Ama9.159740@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12118&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12118

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 20:00:39 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 01:00 UTC

On 2024-02-03 15:13, Your Name wrote:

> Most people detest using Windoze, Word, etc. and only do so because

Provide proof for this statement.

> they're forced to by work where the management blindly decided to go
> with the cheap Microsloth option, and have been paying the price ever
> since.
>
> Most people who change to Apple never go back to Windoze.

I changed for personal use to Mac OS (OS X) around 2007.

But MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint are mainstays and there is no changing
that for the foreseeable future.

Excel is FAR better than numbers, and FAR easier to use and has useful
functions that Numbers still doesn't have.

Pages is better for laying out graphics, but Word is far better for
large complex (structured) documents.

Powerpoint is far more commonly used - I'll grant that Keynote can be
used to piece together a presentation quite well; but once you have a
lot of Powerpoint "stuff" and experience, it's not really worth the
hassle to use Keynote - esp. if you need to share it with other people.

And of course in all three cases, whoever you're exchanging such
documents with will likely be using the MS product - so nothing is lost
in translation. Try doing a contract negotiation between 3 companies
with each throwing in contract managers, program managers, buyers,
engineers and lawyers ... all happily marking up a document on its way
to completion in Pages. Not going to happen. Period.

I'm happy to not have to use Windows itself much other than a couple
apps under Fusion - but really, there is nothing especially wrong with
Windows. MacOS is "better" - but that's moot when most people are using
Windows, esp. in the commercial world.

In any case, Microsoft is getting free rent in "Your Name"'s head, and
not that it's vert valuable to MS, it is surely a huge loss to Your Name.

Pro tip: Apple hasn't maintained its good relationship with MS for
nothing where MS Office apps are concerned.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upmv00$3geno$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12119&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12119

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:06:39 -0800
 by: Alan - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 03:06 UTC

On 2024-02-03 12:17, badgolferman wrote:
> Your Name wrote:

>>> Your incredible bias against anything Apple is on full display.
>>> Don't you get tired of being wrong so often? Maybe Arlen is right
>>> about you...
>>
>> Most people detest using Windoze, Word, etc. and only do so because
>> they're forced to by work where the management blindly decided to go
>> with the cheap Microsloth option, and have been paying the price ever
>> since.
>>
>> Most people who change to Apple never go back to Windoze.
>

> "Most"...
>
> Care to cite that with statistics other than your own fantasies?

I've spent more than 30 years working with, selling, and—for the last 20
plus years—supporting Macs and PCs.

In all the time I've done so, I've run into two (yes: literally two)
people who, having switched from Windows to Mac, wanted to switch back.

In theory, my current gig as technical support for individuals and small
business encompasses by Mac users and Windows users...

....it's just that almost all the support I actually do is for my Windows
using clients.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upmv30$3geno$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12120&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12120

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:08:15 -0800
 by: Alan - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 03:08 UTC

On 2024-02-03 12:06, badgolferman wrote:
> Alan wrote:
>
>> On 2024-01-31 04:51, badgolferman wrote:
>>> On Tuesday, Microsoft reported its fifth consecutive quarter of
>>> record revenue, booking $62 billion in sales, and just last week
>>> its market capitalization — the total value of all of its shares
>>> put together — surpassed $3 trillion, making it the most valuable
>>> company in the world.
>>>
>>> It has even leapfrogged Apple, which has long held onto the crown of
>>> biggest tech giant in the world, churning out sleek iPhones and
>>> finding new ways to charge its customers monthly subscriptions for
>>> services.
>>>
>>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/microsoft-is-back-how-ai-put-the-five-decade-old-tech-giant-on-top-again/ar-BB1hwBCQ
>>
>> And why would anyone care?
>
> Purchase MSFT rather than AAPL. Your money will be worth more.

That might be true... ...at the moment.

But current results are no guarantee of future gains.

And you'd have been saying the same thing 20 years ago...

....and been completely wrong.

:-)

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upn12t$1al0s$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12121&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12121

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 03:42:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 03:42 UTC

Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2024-02-03 12:17, badgolferman wrote:
>> Your Name wrote:

>>> Most people detest using Windoze, Word, etc. and only do so because
>>> they're forced to by work where the management blindly decided to go
>>> with the cheap Microsloth option, and have been paying the price ever
>>> since.
>>>
>>> Most people who change to Apple never go back to Windoze.
>>

>> "Most"...
>>
>> Care to cite that with statistics other than your own fantasies?
>
> I've spent more than 30 years working with, selling, and—for the last 20
> plus years—supporting Macs and PCs.
>
> In all the time I've done so, I've run into two (yes: literally two)
> people who, having switched from Windows to Mac, wanted to switch back.
>
> In theory, my current gig as technical support for individuals and small
> business encompasses by Mac users and Windows users...
>
> ...it's just that almost all the support I actually do is for my Windows
> using clients.

Anecdotal evidence is easy to provide, I can do the same and provide lots
of examples from my work to refute what you say.

Your Name said “most” people so that implies he has real evidence of that
claim. Even Arlen wouldn’t say such a thing without providing a cite.
Surely Your Name can do the same.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upn18s$3gqrp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12122&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12122

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:45:32 -0800
 by: Alan - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 03:45 UTC

On 2024-02-03 19:42, badgolferman wrote:
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> "Most"...
>>>
>>> Care to cite that with statistics other than your own fantasies?
>>
>> I've spent more than 30 years working with, selling, and—for the last 20
>> plus years—supporting Macs and PCs.
>>
>> In all the time I've done so, I've run into two (yes: literally two)
>> people who, having switched from Windows to Mac, wanted to switch back.
>>
>> In theory, my current gig as technical support for individuals and small
>> business encompasses by Mac users and Windows users...
>>
>> ...it's just that almost all the support I actually do is for my Windows
>> using clients.
>>

> Anecdotal evidence is easy to provide, I can do the same and provide lots
> of examples from my work to refute what you say.

30 years of widely varying experience is a lot more than simply "anecdotal".