We cannot command nature except by obeying her. -- Sir Francis Bacon

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

SubjectAuthor
* microsoft bests apple as most valuable companybadgolferman
+* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyPatrick
|+* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyChris
||`* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyRod Speed
|| +* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyBlueshirt
|| |+* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyYour Name
|| |`- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyAlan Browne
|| `- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyChris
|+- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyJoerg Lorenz
|`- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyRod Speed
`* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyAlan
 +- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyRod Speed
 `* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companybadgolferman
  +* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyAlan
  |`* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyRod Speed
  | `* Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyJolly Roger
  |  `- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyRod Speed
  +- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyChris
  `- Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable companyBlueshirt

Pages:12
Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<l28hg6Fm5qjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12123&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12123

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company
Date: 4 Feb 2024 04:18:14 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 04:18 UTC

On 2024-02-04, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2024-02-03 19:42, badgolferman wrote:
>> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> I've spent more than 30 years working with, selling, and—for the last 20
>>> plus years—supporting Macs and PCs.
>>>
>>> In all the time I've done so, I've run into two (yes: literally two)
>>> people who, having switched from Windows to Mac, wanted to switch back.
>>>
>>> In theory, my current gig as technical support for individuals and small
>>> business encompasses by Mac users and Windows users...
>>>
>>> ...it's just that almost all the support I actually do is for my Windows
>>> using clients.
>>
>> Anecdotal evidence is easy to provide, I can do the same and provide lots
>> of examples from my work to refute what you say.
>
> 30 years of widely varying experience is a lot more than simply "anecdotal".

Go ahead an increase that to 60 years, because my experience is very
similar to yours.

JR

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upn3gv$1am0l$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12124&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12124

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 04:23:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 04:23 UTC

Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2024-02-03 19:42, badgolferman wrote:
>> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> I've spent more than 30 years working with, selling, and—for the last 20
>>> plus years—supporting Macs and PCs.
>>>
>>> In all the time I've done so, I've run into two (yes: literally two)
>>> people who, having switched from Windows to Mac, wanted to switch back.
>>>
>>> In theory, my current gig as technical support for individuals and small
>>> business encompasses by Mac users and Windows users...
>>>
>>> ...it's just that almost all the support I actually do is for my Windows
>>> using clients.
>>>

>> Anecdotal evidence is easy to provide, I can do the same and provide lots
>> of examples from my work to refute what you say.
>
> 30 years of widely varying experience is a lot more than simply "anecdotal".

I think we’ve been through this before, but I will also give my experience.

Where I work we have Mac, Linux, Windows. We also have Linux and Windows
servers.

Nearly all the management, administrative staff, and some
scientists/researchers use Macs. Nearly all technical engineers use
Windows. Nearly all computer administrators use Linux or Windows.

The people who use Macs write documents, spreadsheets, presentations,
emails, (using Office 365) and use the web. The very few who actually do
technical work use telnet windows to the Linux servers and use scripts to
run batch jobs.

All the engineers who actually have to create things and perform technical
work use Windows. Some of that is because their programs only run under
Windows and most of it is because they much prefer it.

I don’t see many people clamoring to change their OS regardless of which
one they settled on. They very easily could because we have support staff
who manage all systems and it’s easy to switch. Having spoken to our
division support staff, they tell me the vast majority of refreshed systems
are Windows. That means every three years when we are forced to replace our
computers, they are the ones who perform data and profile transfers. I
think they know which OS is the most popular.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upn4pc$3h87g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12125&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12125

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:45:32 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 04:45 UTC

On 2024-02-03 20:17:42 +0000, badgolferman said:
> Your Name wrote:

>>> Your incredible bias against anything Apple is on full display.
>>> Don't you get tired of being wrong so often? Maybe Arlen is right
>>> about you...
>>
>> Most people detest using Windoze, Word, etc. and only do so because
>> they're forced to by work where the management blindly decided to go
>> with the cheap Microsloth option, and have been paying the price ever
>> since.
>>
>> Most people who change to Apple never go back to Windoze.
>
> "Most"...
>
> Care to cite that with statistics other than your own fantasies?

There are studies, surveys, polls, etc. all over the internet ... take
your pick of any of them. Here's just one example of the many:

New Research Finds 71% of Students in Higher Education Today
Use, or Would Prefer to Use, Mac

<https://www.jamf.com/resources/press-releases/new-research-finds-71-of-students-in-higher-education-today-use-or-would-prefer-to-use-mac/>

Even my own observation from decades of computer work and support has
shown it to be true. In fact, as one example, someone I help recently
decided to buy a new laptop to replace their aging iMac, which itself
replaced an old Windoze laptop 15 years ago. They decided (against my
advice) to buy an Lenovo Windoze laptop ... within a week it was dumped
and a MacBook Pro purchased intstead.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upne5c$3ibro$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12126&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12126

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 23:25:30 -0800
 by: Alan - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 07:25 UTC

On 2024-02-03 20:23, badgolferman wrote:
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> Anecdotal evidence is easy to provide, I can do the same and provide lots
>>> of examples from my work to refute what you say.
>>
>> 30 years of widely varying experience is a lot more than simply "anecdotal".
>>

> I think we’ve been through this before, but I will also give my experience.
>

> Where I work we have Mac, Linux, Windows. We also have Linux and Windows
> servers.
>
> Nearly all the management, administrative staff, and some
> scientists/researchers use Macs. Nearly all technical engineers use
> Windows. Nearly all computer administrators use Linux or Windows.
>
> The people who use Macs write documents, spreadsheets, presentations,
> emails, (using Office 365) and use the web. The very few who actually do
> technical work use telnet windows to the Linux servers and use scripts to
> run batch jobs.
>
> All the engineers who actually have to create things and perform technical
> work use Windows. Some of that is because their programs only run under
> Windows and most of it is because they much prefer it.
>
> I don’t see many people clamoring to change their OS regardless of which
> one they settled on. They very easily could because we have support staff
> who manage all systems and it’s easy to switch. Having spoken to our
> division support staff, they tell me the vast majority of refreshed systems
> are Windows. That means every three years when we are forced to replace our
> computers, they are the ones who perform data and profile transfers. I
> think they know which OS is the most popular.

So within one working environment people use the tools they are given
and/or those that their most immediate colleagues use.

That's not the same thing.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upne72$3iemo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12127&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12127

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 23:26:23 -0800
 by: Alan - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 07:26 UTC

On 2024-02-03 20:23, badgolferman wrote:
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> Anecdotal evidence is easy to provide, I can do the same and provide lots
>>> of examples from my work to refute what you say.
>>
>> 30 years of widely varying experience is a lot more than simply "anecdotal".
>>

> I think we’ve been through this before, but I will also give my experience.
>

> Where I work we have Mac, Linux, Windows. We also have Linux and Windows
> servers.
>
> Nearly all the management, administrative staff, and some
> scientists/researchers use Macs. Nearly all technical engineers use
> Windows. Nearly all computer administrators use Linux or Windows.
>
> The people who use Macs write documents, spreadsheets, presentations,
> emails, (using Office 365) and use the web. The very few who actually do
> technical work use telnet windows to the Linux servers and use scripts to
> run batch jobs.
>
> All the engineers who actually have to create things and perform technical
> work use Windows. Some of that is because their programs only run under
> Windows and most of it is because they much prefer it.
>
> I don’t see many people clamoring to change their OS regardless of which
> one they settled on. They very easily could because we have support staff
> who manage all systems and it’s easy to switch. Having spoken to our
> division support staff, they tell me the vast majority of refreshed systems
> are Windows. That means every three years when we are forced to replace our
> computers, they are the ones who perform data and profile transfers. I
> think they know which OS is the most popular.

So within one working environment people use the tools they are given
and/or those that their most immediate colleagues use.

That's not the same thing.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upnsvf$1b2g4$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12128&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12128

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 11:38:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 11:38 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 2024-02-03 20:17:42 +0000, badgolferman said:
>> Your Name wrote:

>>> Most people detest using Windoze, Word, etc. and only do so because
>>> they're forced to by work where the management blindly decided to go
>>> with the cheap Microsloth option, and have been paying the price ever
>>> since.
>>>
>>> Most people who change to Apple never go back to Windoze.
>>
>> "Most"...
>>
>> Care to cite that with statistics other than your own fantasies?
>
> There are studies, surveys, polls, etc. all over the internet ... take
> your pick of any of them. Here's just one example of the many:
>
> New Research Finds 71% of Students in Higher Education Today
> Use, or Would Prefer to Use, Mac
>
> <https://www.jamf.com/resources/press-releases/new-research-finds-71-of-students-in-higher-education-today-use-or-would-prefer-to-use-mac/>
>

> Even my own observation from decades of computer work and support has
> shown it to be true. In fact, as one example, someone I help recently
> decided to buy a new laptop to replace their aging iMac, which itself
> replaced an old Windoze laptop 15 years ago. They decided (against my
> advice) to buy an Lenovo Windoze laptop ... within a week it was dumped
> and a MacBook Pro purchased intstead.

Notwithstanding the fact that students tend to be given Macs at schools and
are used to them, my opinion is people prefer what they start out with. The
same holds true for mobile devices. It’s the rare individual who adapts to
use multiple devices and recognizes the strengths and weaknesses of
different types of systems.

As I said before, my experience at work has been the technical people
prefer Windows and the administrative people prefer Macs. Even then the Mac
users still use Microsoft products (Office) to perform their work.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upnttj$3krf3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12129&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12129

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 11:54:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:edAv0xhxSbCV/moWb2F/7ZmhvdQ=
 by: Chris - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 11:54 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 2024-02-03 20:17:42 +0000, badgolferman said:
>> Your Name wrote:

>>> Most people detest using Windoze, Word, etc. and only do so because
>>> they're forced to by work where the management blindly decided to go
>>> with the cheap Microsloth option, and have been paying the price ever
>>> since.
>>>
>>> Most people who change to Apple never go back to Windoze.
>>
>> "Most"...
>>
>> Care to cite that with statistics other than your own fantasies?
>
> There are studies, surveys, polls, etc. all over the internet ... take
> your pick of any of them. Here's just one example of the many:
>
> New Research Finds 71% of Students in Higher Education Today
> Use, or Would Prefer to Use, Mac
>
> <https://www.jamf.com/resources/press-releases/new-research-finds-71-of-students-in-higher-education-today-use-or-would-prefer-to-use-mac/>

Lol. The best example you can find is a niche survey by a company whose
business is dependent on growing Macs into higher education.

> Even my own observation from decades of computer work and support has
> shown it to be true. In fact, as one example, someone I help recently
> decided to buy a new laptop to replace their aging iMac, which itself
> replaced an old Windoze laptop 15 years ago. They decided (against my
> advice) to buy an Lenovo Windoze laptop ... within a week it was dumped
> and a MacBook Pro purchased intstead.

Anecdote. There are plenty of counter anecdotes on the r/mac subreddit.
Many people don't enjoy the transition from Windows.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upnui6$3kv1d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12130&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12130

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:05:26 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:UIPY2Nd1vEEnzt052uf+f4ASjIA=
 by: Chris - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:05 UTC

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan wrote:
>
>> On 2024-01-31 04:51, badgolferman wrote:
>>> On Tuesday, Microsoft reported its fifth consecutive quarter of
>>> record revenue, booking $62 billion in sales, and just last week
>>> its market capitalization — the total value of all of its shares
>>> put together — surpassed $3 trillion, making it the most valuable
>>> company in the world.
>>>
>>> It has even leapfrogged Apple, which has long held onto the crown of
>>> biggest tech giant in the world, churning out sleek iPhones and
>>> finding new ways to charge its customers monthly subscriptions for
>>> services.
>>>
>>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/microsoft-is-back-how-ai-put-the-five-decade-old-tech-giant-on-top-again/ar-BB1hwBCQ
>>
>> And why would anyone care?
>
> Purchase MSFT rather than AAPL. Your money will be worth more.

Only if you think they will continue to grow for the foreseeable future.
Which would be brave off the back of record numbers.

Should have bought them 5 years ago.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<l29th9Ftib1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12131&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12131

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 4 Feb 2024 16:49:45 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:49 UTC

On 2024-02-04, badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> Anecdotal evidence is easy to provide, I can do the same and provide
>>> lots of examples from my work to refute what you say.
>>
>> 30 years of widely varying experience is a lot more than simply
>> "anecdotal".
>
> I don’t see many people clamoring to change their OS regardless of
> which one they settled on. They very easily could because we have
> support staff who manage all systems and it’s easy to switch. Having
> spoken to our division support staff, they tell me the vast majority
> of refreshed systems are Windows. That means every three years when we
> are forced to replace our computers, they are the ones who perform
> data and profile transfers. I think they know which OS is the most
> popular.

You're trying to move the goal post to talking about popularity
contests, when the point being made is that of the people that do switch
to Mac from Windows, most generally stay with it rather than switching
back to Windows. Adults can see those are two very different things..

JR

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<upogqh$3o3vi$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12132&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12132

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 09:17:03 -0800
 by: Alan - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:17 UTC

On 2024-02-04 03:38, badgolferman wrote:
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> "Most"...
>>>
>>> Care to cite that with statistics other than your own fantasies?
>>
>> There are studies, surveys, polls, etc. all over the internet ... take
>> your pick of any of them. Here's just one example of the many:
>>
>> New Research Finds 71% of Students in Higher Education Today
>> Use, or Would Prefer to Use, Mac
>>
>> <https://www.jamf.com/resources/press-releases/new-research-finds-71-of-students-in-higher-education-today-use-or-would-prefer-to-use-mac/>
>>

>> Even my own observation from decades of computer work and support has
>> shown it to be true. In fact, as one example, someone I help recently
>> decided to buy a new laptop to replace their aging iMac, which itself
>> replaced an old Windoze laptop 15 years ago. They decided (against my
>> advice) to buy an Lenovo Windoze laptop ... within a week it was dumped
>> and a MacBook Pro purchased intstead.
>>

> Notwithstanding the fact that students tend to be given Macs at schools and
> are used to them, my opinion is people prefer what they start out with. The
> same holds true for mobile devices. It’s the rare individual who adapts to
> use multiple devices and recognizes the strengths and weaknesses of
> different types of systems.

And my experience with many individuals is that people who switch from
Mac to Windows usuall go back to Mac and people who switch from Windows
to Mac usually stick with Mac.

> As I said before, my experience at work has been the technical people
> prefer Windows and the administrative people prefer Macs. Even then the Mac
> users still use Microsoft products (Office) to perform their work.

What nature of "technical people"?

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<xn0oholym2g708l000@reader.xsnews.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12133&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12133

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 19:49:35 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:49 UTC

badgolferman wrote:

> Alan wrote:
>
> > On 2024-01-31 04:51, badgolferman wrote:
> > > On Tuesday, Microsoft reported its fifth consecutive quarter of
> > > record revenue, booking $62 billion in sales, and just last week
> > > its market capitalization — the total value of all of its shares
> > > put together — surpassed $3 trillion, making it the most
> > > valuable company in the world.
> > >
> > > It has even leapfrogged Apple, which has long held onto the
> > > crown of biggest tech giant in the world, churning out sleek
> > > iPhones and finding new ways to charge its customers monthly
> > > subscriptions for services.
> >
> > And why would anyone care?
>
> Purchase MSFT rather than AAPL. Your money will be worth more.

Or invest in an ETF that contains both! :-)

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<op.2imzz8tbbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12134&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12134

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 08:44:22 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 21:44 UTC

On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 14:08:15 +1100, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> On 2024-02-03 12:06, badgolferman wrote:
>> Alan wrote:

>>> And why would anyone care?
>> Purchase MSFT rather than AAPL. Your money will be worth more.
>
> That might be true... ...at the moment.
>
> But current results are no guarantee of future gains.

Yes, but it is clear that apple has a real problem now that
the iphone and ipad market is very saturated now with
it difficult to find anything new to add to new devices.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<l2ah96F2f5uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12135&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12135

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 4 Feb 2024 22:26:46 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:26 UTC

On 2024-02-04, Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 14:08:15 +1100, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> Purchase MSFT rather than AAPL. Your money will be worth more.
>>
>> That might be true... ...at the moment.
>>
>> But current results are no guarantee of future gains.
>
> Yes, but it is clear that apple has a real problem now that the iphone
> and ipad market is very saturated now with it difficult to find
> anything new to add to new devices.

Most companies would *kill* to have Apple's "real problems"... 🤣

JR

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<l2ar50F3ec0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12136&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12136

From: leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 5 Feb 2024 01:15:12 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 01:15 UTC

On 2024-02-04, badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don’t see many people clamoring to change their OS regardless of which
> one they settled on. They very easily could because we have support staff
> who manage all systems and it’s easy to switch. Having spoken to our
> division support staff, they tell me the vast majority of refreshed systems
> are Windows. That means every three years when we are forced to replace our
> computers, they are the ones who perform data and profile transfers. I
> think they know which OS is the most popular.

The great majority of people do not want to change from the O/S that
they're familiar with. Companies buy Windows machines because that's
what they've always used. IBM got the companies started with Microsoft,
and when the employees bought a computer for themselves, they chose
Microsoft O/S, because that's what they were familiar with.
Independent developers developed their specialty software for the
vast majority of companies that had bought into Microsoft. Computer
companies made cheap hardware to accommodate Microsoft O/S.
My boss bought Apple. I familiarized myself with Linux in the Nineties,
but when OS X came out, why bother with Linux?
iPhones brought Apple to the masses. A percentage of the masses are
seeing the benefits of Apple products. That's good.
I like that Windows is the O/S of most companies and the majority of
ordinary users. Malware keys on them, because that's where the money is.
To each, their own.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<op.2im95napbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12137&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12137

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 12:23:37 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 01:23 UTC

On Mon, 05 Feb 2024 09:26:46 +1100, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
wrote:

> On 2024-02-04, Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That might be true... ...at the moment.
>>>
>>> But current results are no guarantee of future gains.
>>
>> Yes, but it is clear that apple has a real problem now that the iphone
>> and ipad market is very saturated now with it difficult to find
>> anything new to add to new devices.
>
> Most companies would *kill* to have Apple's "real problems"... 🤣

Sure, but that's irrelevant to why MS is currently doing better.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<uppfqo$1q31t$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12138&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12138

From: StendeJood@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 21:06:17 -0500
 by: Sten deJoode - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 02:06 UTC

On 5 Feb 2024 01:15:12 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> The great majority of people do not want to change from the O/S that
> they're familiar with. Companies buy Windows machines because that's
> what they've always used. IBM got the companies started with Microsoft,
> and when the employees bought a computer for themselves, they chose
> Microsoft O/S, because that's what they were familiar with.
> Independent developers developed their specialty software for the
> vast majority of companies that had bought into Microsoft. Computer
> companies made cheap hardware to accommodate Microsoft O/S.
> My boss bought Apple. I familiarized myself with Linux in the Nineties,
> but when OS X came out, why bother with Linux?
> iPhones brought Apple to the masses. A percentage of the masses are
> seeing the benefits of Apple products. That's good.
> I like that Windows is the O/S of most companies and the majority of
> ordinary users. Malware keys on them, because that's where the money is.
> To each, their own.

> Malware keys on them

All you Apple nutjobs are living in the past from very long ago.

It used to be iOS had fewer zero-day holes than Android, and even fewer
exploits in the wild (which Apple never admits but the government publishes
them so you have to be living more than five years in the past to NOT know
that iOS always has twice the number of zero-days as Android, and lately
iOS has had three times the number of zero-days as Android).

*But what's worse are the exploits.*
*Oh... those Apple exploits!*

iOS has had _ten times_ more exploits in the wild for four years running!
<https://www.cisa.gov/known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog>

None of you Apple nutjobs know the figures from today because you're all
living in the past - but worse - you don't even know _why_ this happened.

None of you Apple nutjobs understands what's _different_ about iOS that
it's not only filled with holes like Swiss Cheese (mostly webkit & the
kernel to give you an idea of where the problems are) but also none of you
nutjobs understand why iOS is exploited over ten times more than Android.

Think before you respond - and don't respond without looking it up first.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<uppkik$1bv4b$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12139&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12139

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 03:27:16 -0000 (UTC)
<uppfqo$1q31t$1@paganini.bofh.team>
 by: badgolferman - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 03:27 UTC

Sten deJoode <StendeJood@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 5 Feb 2024 01:15:12 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
>> The great majority of people do not want to change from the O/S that
>> they're familiar with. Companies buy Windows machines because that's
>> what they've always used. IBM got the companies started with Microsoft,
>> and when the employees bought a computer for themselves, they chose
>> Microsoft O/S, because that's what they were familiar with.
>> Independent developers developed their specialty software for the
>> vast majority of companies that had bought into Microsoft. Computer
>> companies made cheap hardware to accommodate Microsoft O/S.
>> My boss bought Apple. I familiarized myself with Linux in the Nineties,
>> but when OS X came out, why bother with Linux?
>> iPhones brought Apple to the masses. A percentage of the masses are
>> seeing the benefits of Apple products. That's good.
>> I like that Windows is the O/S of most companies and the majority of
>> ordinary users. Malware keys on them, because that's where the money is.
>> To each, their own.
>
>> Malware keys on them
>
> All you Apple nutjobs are living in the past from very long ago.
>
> It used to be iOS had fewer zero-day holes than Android, and even fewer
> exploits in the wild (which Apple never admits but the government publishes
> them so you have to be living more than five years in the past to NOT know
> that iOS always has twice the number of zero-days as Android, and lately
> iOS has had three times the number of zero-days as Android).
>
> *But what's worse are the exploits.*
> *Oh... those Apple exploits!*
>
> iOS has had _ten times_ more exploits in the wild for four years running!
> <https://www.cisa.gov/known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog>
>
> None of you Apple nutjobs know the figures from today because you're all
> living in the past - but worse - you don't even know _why_ this happened.
>
> None of you Apple nutjobs understands what's _different_ about iOS that
> it's not only filled with holes like Swiss Cheese (mostly webkit & the
> kernel to give you an idea of where the problems are) but also none of you
> nutjobs understand why iOS is exploited over ten times more than Android.
>
> Think before you respond - and don't respond without looking it up first.

Let me guess… Apple doesn’t test their stuff.

That’s what Arlen has been saying forever.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<uppnsk$56du$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12140&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12140

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 20:23:47 -0800
 by: Alan - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 04:23 UTC

On 2024-02-04 19:27, badgolferman wrote:
> Sten deJoode <StendeJood@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 5 Feb 2024 01:15:12 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>
>>> The great majority of people do not want to change from the O/S that
>>> they're familiar with. Companies buy Windows machines because that's
>>> what they've always used. IBM got the companies started with Microsoft,
>>> and when the employees bought a computer for themselves, they chose
>>> Microsoft O/S, because that's what they were familiar with.
>>> Independent developers developed their specialty software for the
>>> vast majority of companies that had bought into Microsoft. Computer
>>> companies made cheap hardware to accommodate Microsoft O/S.
>>> My boss bought Apple. I familiarized myself with Linux in the Nineties,
>>> but when OS X came out, why bother with Linux?
>>> iPhones brought Apple to the masses. A percentage of the masses are
>>> seeing the benefits of Apple products. That's good.
>>> I like that Windows is the O/S of most companies and the majority of
>>> ordinary users. Malware keys on them, because that's where the money is.
>>> To each, their own.
>>
>>> Malware keys on them
>>
>> All you Apple nutjobs are living in the past from very long ago.
>>
>> It used to be iOS had fewer zero-day holes than Android, and even fewer
>> exploits in the wild (which Apple never admits but the government publishes
>> them so you have to be living more than five years in the past to NOT know
>> that iOS always has twice the number of zero-days as Android, and lately
>> iOS has had three times the number of zero-days as Android).
>>
>> *But what's worse are the exploits.*
>> *Oh... those Apple exploits!*
>>
>> iOS has had _ten times_ more exploits in the wild for four years running!
>> <https://www.cisa.gov/known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog>
>>
>> None of you Apple nutjobs know the figures from today because you're all
>> living in the past - but worse - you don't even know _why_ this happened.
>>
>> None of you Apple nutjobs understands what's _different_ about iOS that
>> it's not only filled with holes like Swiss Cheese (mostly webkit & the
>> kernel to give you an idea of where the problems are) but also none of you
>> nutjobs understand why iOS is exploited over ten times more than Android.
>>
>> Think before you respond - and don't respond without looking it up first.
>>

> Let me guess… Apple doesn’t test their stuff.
>
> That’s what Arlen has been saying forever.

Weird, huh?

🤪

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<ed7wN.43732$9cLc.43629@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12144&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12144

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 10:33:30 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 15:33 UTC

On 2024-02-04 20:15, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> On 2024-02-04, badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don’t see many people clamoring to change their OS regardless of which
>> one they settled on. They very easily could because we have support staff
>> who manage all systems and it’s easy to switch. Having spoken to our
>> division support staff, they tell me the vast majority of refreshed systems
>> are Windows. That means every three years when we are forced to replace our
>> computers, they are the ones who perform data and profile transfers. I
>> think they know which OS is the most popular.
>

> The great majority of people do not want to change from the O/S that
> they're familiar with. Companies buy Windows machines because that's
> what they've always used. IBM got the companies started with Microsoft,
> and when the employees bought a computer for themselves, they chose
> Microsoft O/S, because that's what they were familiar with.
> Independent developers developed their specialty software for the
> vast majority of companies that had bought into Microsoft. Computer
> companies made cheap hardware to accommodate Microsoft O/S.
> My boss bought Apple. I familiarized myself with Linux in the Nineties,
> but when OS X came out, why bother with Linux?
> iPhones brought Apple to the masses. A percentage of the masses are
> seeing the benefits of Apple products. That's good.
> I like that Windows is the O/S of most companies and the majority of
> ordinary users. Malware keys on them, because that's where the money is.
> To each, their own.

I gave Linux a serious try as a home computer back in the early 2000's.
It was adventuresome as installing some apps was easy as pie and some
was fraught with misadventure. Configuring hardware could be a bear in
some cases.

Of course the apps I needed to integrate well with the rest of the
world, and photography, did not exist at all.
So abandoned Linux at that time.

MS came out with Vista just when I was looking to replace my old
computer (or its motherboard). It was on its 3rd motherboard at the time.

Vista was a wreck out of the gate and I would be in a hardware
compatibility hole for quite a while as things caught up...

Looked up the specs on iMac and bought the top end (of the day) Core Duo
machine. Sold it for near $1000 5 years later and bought an i7
(quad-core-hyper threading) in 2013 (2012 model, refurbished by Apple).
It is still working here now as a side computer 11 years later. Aside
from graphics performance (to today's expectations), it is still a
beast. (It also hosts WinXP, Windows 10 and Linux under Fusion if I
need them).

New iMac M3 is very, very good. Just wish the spec had allowed more
memory and a "pro" (more cores) processor. The display is exceptional.

At my company, we're baseline Apple, but Windows is used in a couple
narrow cases - though 2024 has us transition the accounting out of
Windows and onto a web-based platform. (I don't like this move, but
it's the best overall).

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: microsoft bests apple as most valuable company

<uprbiu$dp11$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12150&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12150

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 11:06:06 -0800
 by: Alan - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 19:06 UTC

On 2024-02-05 07:33, Alan Browne wrote:
> [...]
> compatibility hole for quite a while as things caught up...
>
> Looked up the specs on iMac and bought the top end (of the day) Core Duo
> machine.  Sold it for near $1000 5 years later and bought an i7
> (quad-core-hyper threading) in 2013 (2012 model, refurbished by Apple).
> It is still working here now as a side computer 11 years later.  Aside
> from graphics performance (to today's expectations), it is still a
> beast.  (It also hosts WinXP, Windows 10 and Linux under Fusion if I
> need them).
>
> New iMac M3 is very, very good.  Just wish the spec had allowed more
> memory and a "pro" (more cores) processor.  The display is exceptional.
>
> At my company, we're baseline Apple, but Windows is used in a couple
> narrow cases - though 2024 has us transition the accounting out of
> Windows and onto a web-based platform.  (I don't like this move, but

When my aging aunt decided it was time to join the world of digital
communication (because her daughter used email to keep family up-to-date
on the goings-on of her three grandsons), she turned to me for advice on
what she should get.

Naturally, I suggested she get a Mac; one of the flat-panel iMacs.

But she was a child of the '30s and WWII and she just couldn't bring
herself to spend that much money (somewhere around $2,500, IIRC), and
instead bought a used Windows PC, monitor, printer...

....the whole shebang...

....from some friends. I think it cost her about $300-$400, but when I
asked them what they were buying to replace it and they said: "a Mac",
my aunt's face got thoughtful for a moment.

It was running Windows XP and with my help she was able to use it for
her fairly limited purposes of reading & sending email and some
occasional web browsing.

But of course, like all things, it eventually needed to be replaced, and
now confident in her understanding of the computing world, she took
herself to BestBuy (or Staples) to buy herself a new computer...

....only this was shortly after Windows 8 came out; not even the improved
Windows 8.1, but the original, horrid mess that was 8.

And after taking one brief glimpse at how much it was going to change
what she needed to understand, she accepted my original advice to get
herself an iMac; a used one—she still hadn't lost her frugal streak.

And after the initial period of learning to use the new interface, she
never looked back.

;-)