"I'm a mean green mother from outer space" -- Audrey II, The Little Shop of Horrors

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Re: Not remembering new phone #

SubjectAuthor
* Not remembering new phone #Cameo
+* Re: Not remembering new phone #Hank Rogers
|+- Re: Not remembering new phone #Jörg Lorenz
|`* Re: Not remembering new phone #Jörg Lorenz
| +- Re: Not remembering new phone #Hank Rogers
| `- Re: Not remembering new phone #badgolferman
+* Re: Not remembering new phone #Chris
|`* Re: Not remembering new phone #Cameo
| +- Re: Not remembering new phone #Jörg Lorenz
| `- Re: Not remembering new phone #Chris
+* Re: Not remembering new phone #Jörg Lorenz
|+* Re: Not remembering new phone #Cameo
||`* Re: Not remembering new phone #Jörg Lorenz
|| `* Re: Not remembering new phone #Cameo
||  +- Re: Not remembering new phone #Jörg Lorenz
||  `* Re: Not remembering new phone #Chris
||   `* Re: Not remembering new phone #Cameo
||    `* Re: Not remembering new phone #Chris
||     `* Re: Not remembering new phone #Cameo
||      `* Re: Not remembering new phone #Chris
||       +- Re: Not remembering new phone #Jörg Lorenz
||       +- Re: Not remembering new phone #Jörg Lorenz
||       `* Re: Not remembering new phone #Cameo
||        `- Re: Not remembering new phone #Chris
|`* Re: Not remembering new phone #badgolferman
| +- Re: Not remembering new phone #Jörg Lorenz
| `* Re: Not remembering new phone #*Hemidactylus*
|  `- Re: Not remembering new phone #Hank Rogers
+* Re: Not remembering new phone #Chris Schram
|+- Re: Not remembering new phone #Hank Rogers
|`- Re: Not remembering new phone #Alan Browne
`- Re: Not remembering new phone #Tyrone

Pages:12
Re: Not remembering new phone #

<usuctb$1gk8c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12859&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12859

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Not remembering new phone #
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 09:35:55 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 08:35 UTC

Am 14.03.24 um 08:47 schrieb Chris:
> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:

>>> I was more meaning the process rather than the outcome. What widget is
>>> displaying the phone number?
>>>
>>> I had a play on the way home and managed to get a shortcut working with
>>> backtap to display a contact's phone numbers temporarily.
>>
>> Jörg already described the process.
>
> Not really. He simply shared a generic Apple link and he mentioned notes.
> Your screenshot is not a note.

Don't you understand what is in the article and what a widget is? Come
on! It is by no means generic. It is very detailed. This group is not an
nanny service. I did it in 30 seconds.

> Hence my question to you. I'm asking because I'd like to something similar
> for a relative.

Press on a free space on the home screen and the creation of a widget
starts. Is everything in the article. Explained to every detail.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Not remembering new phone #

<usue5t$1gtkr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12860&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12860

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 09:57:33 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 08:57 UTC

Am 14.03.24 um 08:47 schrieb Chris:
> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:

>>> I was more meaning the process rather than the outcome. What widget is
>>> displaying the phone number?
>>>
>>> I had a play on the way home and managed to get a shortcut working with
>>> backtap to display a contact's phone numbers temporarily.
>>
>> Jörg already described the process.
>
> Not really. He simply shared a generic Apple link and he mentioned notes.
> Your screenshot is not a note.
>
> Hence my question to you. I'm asking because I'd like to something similar
> for a relative.

How to add and edit widgets on your iPhone
With widgets, you get timely information from your favorite apps at a
glance on your Home Screen, Lock Screen, or Today View.

An iPhone showing widgets for weather and calendar events

How to add widgets to your Home Screen
From the Home Screen, touch and hold a widget or an empty area until
the apps jiggle.
Tap the Add button Gray add button in the upper-left corner.
Select a widget, choose a widget size, then tap Add Widget.
Tap Done.

How to add widgets to your Lock Screen
With iOS 16, you can add widgets to your Lock Screen to get information
at a glance — for example, the temperature, air quality, battery level,
or upcoming calendar events.

An iPhone screen showing how to add widgets to Lock Screen

Touch and hold the Lock Screen until the Customize button appears, then
tap Customize.
Select Lock Screen.
Tap Add Widgets.
Tap or drag the widgets that you want to add to the Lock Screen.
When you're finished, tap the close button , then tap Done.
If there’s not enough room for a new widget, you can tap the Remove
button to remove a widget and make room for the one you want to add.

An iPhone showing widgets in the Today View

How to add widgets to Today View
Swipe right from the Home Screen or Lock Screen.
Touch and hold a widget or an empty area in Today View until the apps
jiggle.
Tap the Add button gray plus icon in the upper-left corner.
Scroll down to select a widget, then choose from three widget sizes.
Tap Add Widget, then tap Done.

An iPhone showing how to edit a widget

How to edit your widgets
You can configure your widgets. For example, you can edit the Weather
widget to see the forecast for your current location or a different
location.

To edit widgets from Today View:

Swipe right from the Home Screen or Lock Screen.
Touch and hold a widget to open the quick actions menu.
Tap Edit Widget Edit Widget icon.
Make your changes, then tap outside of the widget to exit.
You can also move your widgets around to put your favorites where
they're easier to find. Just touch and hold a widget until it jiggles,
then move the widget around on the screen.

To edit widgets from your Lock Screen:

Tap the widget that you want to edit.
Make your changes, then swipe up to save the changes.

How to use widget stacks
You can use widget stacks to save space on your Home Screen and in Today
View. You can use Smart Stacks or create your own widget stacks.

Add a Smart Stack
A Smart Stack is a pre-built collection of widgets that displays the
right widget based on factors like your location, an activity, or time.
A Smart Stack automatically rotates widgets to show the most relevant
information throughout the day.

To add a Smart Stack:

Touch and hold an area on your Home Screen or in Today View until the
apps jiggle.
Tap the Add button gray plus icon in the upper-left corner.
Scroll down and tap Smart Stack.
Tap Add Widget.
An iPhone showing a widget stack

Create your own widget stacks
Touch and hold an app or empty area on the Home Screen or Today View
until the apps jiggle.
Drag a widget on top of another widget. You can stack up to 10 widgets.
Tap Done.
Edit a widget stack
Touch and hold the widget stack.
Tap Edit Stack . From here, you can reorder the widgets in the stack by
dragging and dropping the app where you want it in the stack. You can
also turn Smart Rotate* on or off.
Tap Done.
* When Smart Rotate is on, iOS shows you relevant widgets throughout the
day.

With iOS 15 and later, you can turn on Widget Suggestions, so apps you
already use can automatically appear in your Smart Stack at the right
time based on your past activity. An option lets you add the widget to
your stack so it’s always there when you need it. Just follow steps 1-2,
then tap Widget Suggestions to turn it on.

You need iOS 14 or later to use Smart Stacks or create your own widget
stacks.

How to remove widgets
Touch and hold the widget that you want to remove.
Tap Remove Widget.
Tap Remove again to confirm.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Not remembering new phone #

<usukuo$1bmnd$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12861&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12861

From: REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 10:53:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 10:53 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 13.03.24 um 06:13 schrieb Hank Rogers:
>> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:
>>> I have a fairly new phone number that I have a hard time to remember when
>>> somebody asks for it. It would be nice if it would show up somewhere on the
>>> opening screen, so I don’t have to search for it in the Contacts list. Do
>>> you have a solution for this old-age problem?
>>>

>> Write the phone number on a piece of paper. Take a picture. select the
>> picture as your wallpaper.
>
> Nymshifting Troll!

And who are you accusing Hank of being now?

Re: Not remembering new phone #

<usulji$1il31$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12862&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12862

From: cameo@unreal.invalid (Cameo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:04:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+YfS3xURmloCA4NzEJHfvadBVQs=
 by: Cameo - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:04 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:

>>> I was more meaning the process rather than the outcome. What widget is
>>> displaying the phone number?
>>>
>>> I had a play on the way home and managed to get a shortcut working with
>>> backtap to display a contact's phone numbers temporarily.
>>
>> Jörg already described the process.
>
> Not really. He simply shared a generic Apple link and he mentioned notes.
> Your screenshot is not a note.
>
> Hence my question to you. I'm asking because I'd like to something similar
> for a relative.

Sorry, I figured that if an iPhone newbie, like me, could follow Jörg’s
instructions, anybody could.

Re: Not remembering new phone #

<rs2cndWIpovZaW_4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12865&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12865

From: none@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:57:40 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:57 UTC

On Mar 13, 2024 at 12:30:19 AM EDT, "Cameo" <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:

> I have a fairly new phone number that I have a hard time to remember when
> somebody asks for it. It would be nice if it would show up somewhere on the
> opening screen, so I don’t have to search for it in the Contacts list. Do
> you have a solution for this old-age problem?

Is Settings, Phone too much trouble?

Re: Not remembering new phone #

<ut1397$26rpb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12869&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12869

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 09:09:59 -0000 (UTC)
<usulji$1il31$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:FFJxv6TD/m4ixWKx/651PmyLZ3U=
 by: Chris - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 09:09 UTC

Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:

>>> Jörg already described the process.
>>
>> Not really. He simply shared a generic Apple link and he mentioned notes.
>> Your screenshot is not a note.
>>
>> Hence my question to you. I'm asking because I'd like to something similar
>> for a relative.
>>
> Sorry, I figured that if an iPhone newbie, like me, could follow Jörg’s
> instructions, anybody could.

Wouldn't it be easier to answer the question, rather than pass judgement?
Never mind <sigh>

Re: Not remembering new phone #

<LwgJN.419384$vFZa.13695@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=12889&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#12889

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 08:46:34 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 12:46 UTC

On 2024-03-13 03:45, Chris Schram wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 04:30:19 -0000 (UTC), Cameo wrote:
>
>> I have a fairly new phone number that I have a hard time to remember
>> when somebody asks for it. It would be nice if it would show up
>> somewhere on the opening screen, so I don’t have to search for it in the
>> Contacts list. Do you have a solution for this old-age problem?
>
> I put a Dymo label on the back of my phone's case.

Cute.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.