Though I'll admit readability suffers slightly... -- Larry Wall in <2969@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

SubjectAuthor
* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software Wally J
+- Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestAlan
`* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestcandycanearter07
 `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software Wally J
  +- Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestcandycanearter07
  `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestCarlos E. R.
   +* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestcandycanearter07
   |`- Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestCarlos E. R.
   `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software Frank Slootweg
    +- Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software Wally J
    `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestCarlos E. R.
     +* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestThe Real Bev
     |`* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software Wally J
     | `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestThe Real Bev
     |  +* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestAlan Browne
     |  |+* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestJolly Roger
     |  ||`* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestAlan Browne
     |  || `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestJolly Roger
     |  ||  `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestAlan Browne
     |  ||   `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestJolly Roger
     |  ||    +- Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software Wally J
     |  ||    `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestAlan Browne
     |  ||     `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestJolly Roger
     |  ||      `- Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestAlan Browne
     |  |`* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestThe Real Bev
     |  | +* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software Wally J
     |  | |`* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestcandycanearter07
     |  | | +* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software Wally J
     |  | | |`- Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestcandycanearter07
     |  | | `- Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestAlan
     |  | `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestAlan Browne
     |  |  `- Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestThe Real Bev
     |  `- Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software Wally J
     `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software Wally J
      `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestDorper
       `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software Wally J
        +- Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestAlan
        `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestDorper
         `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestcandycanearter07
          `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestDorper
           `* Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestcandycanearter07
            `- Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longestAlan

Pages:12
Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufb045$3luji$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17139&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17139

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 01:29:42 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 05:29 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote

> I'd say only Windows 11 is actually bad enough I would not use it.

Just as with programming languages, I have used so many operating systems,
that the only thing I really care about now are the apps that do things.

For "doing things", Linux is one of the best operating systems out there.
Windows isn't too far behind Linux in its capability to do what you need.

The Apple operating systems are always lagging in what they can do.
For example, you can't even torrent or use the tor browser on iOS.

As for Windows 10, my 2008 laptop has had the free upgrades so it has full
hotfix support - which is the kind of support that matters for security.

This is a concept that the Apple iKooks can't comprehend - because they
don't understand how an operating system is updated - so they think if
Apple fixed _one_ bug out of thousands, that that's "good enough for them".

As for Windows 11, my 2008 desktop says it can't upgrade to it but I've
written many threads on the Windows newsgroup asking what's in the latest
Windows releases that you can't do with all the earlier ones and the answer
almost always is that there isn't anything in Windows 11 that you can't do
in Windows 10 - which has always been the case with Windows capabilities.

The reason is simple.

Most of the functionality in Windows (or Android) isn't coming from the
maker of the operating system - the functionality comes from developers.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufb074$1dd7a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17140&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17140

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 22:31:16 -0700
 by: Alan - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 05:31 UTC

On 2023-09-30 22:29, Wally J wrote:
> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote
>
>> I'd say only Windows 11 is actually bad enough I would not use it.
>
> Just as with programming languages, I have used so many operating systems,
> that the only thing I really care about now are the apps that do things.
>
> For "doing things", Linux is one of the best operating systems out there.
> Windows isn't too far behind Linux in its capability to do what you need.
>
> The Apple operating systems are always lagging in what they can do.
> For example, you can't even torrent or use the tor browser on iOS.

Is iOS the only OS that Apple makes, Arlen?

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufcshi$1d43h$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17179&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17179

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 17:40:50 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 22:40 UTC

On 10/1/23 00:29, Wally J wrote:
> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote
>
>> I'd say only Windows 11 is actually bad enough I would not use it.
>
> Just as with programming languages, I have used so many operating systems,
> that the only thing I really care about now are the apps that do things.

I've only used a few programming languages (python, c, java, dream
maker, gdscript)

> For "doing things", Linux is one of the best operating systems out there.
> Windows isn't too far behind Linux in its capability to do what you need.

Yeah!

> As for Windows 11, my 2008 desktop says it can't upgrade to it but I've
> written many threads on the Windows newsgroup asking what's in the latest
> Windows releases that you can't do with all the earlier ones and the answer
> almost always is that there isn't anything in Windows 11 that you can't do
> in Windows 10 - which has always been the case with Windows capabilities.
>
> The reason is simple.
>
> Most of the functionality in Windows (or Android) isn't coming from the
> maker of the operating system - the functionality comes from developers.

And Win 11 is Win 10 with extra paint. And ads.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufft7q$742u$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17193&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17193

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 22:11:06 -0400
 by: Wally J - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 02:11 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote

>> Most of the functionality in Windows (or Android) isn't coming from the
>> maker of the operating system - the functionality comes from developers.
>
> And Win 11 is Win 10 with extra paint. And ads.

My wife unthinkingly upgraded her PC to Windows 11 where I don't use hers
often but I haven't seen any ads on hers. Are you sure Win 11 has ads?

To be clear, I'm sure YouTube has ads (even though I never see them).
And I'm sure web pages you go to will show ads (again, I never see them).

But it seems you're claiming the operating system is popping up ads.
Under what circumstances does Windows 11 show non-app advertisements?

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufftng$36oi4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17194&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17194

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:19:28 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 02:19 UTC

On 10/2/23 21:11, Wally J wrote:
> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote
>
>>> Most of the functionality in Windows (or Android) isn't coming from the
>>> maker of the operating system - the functionality comes from developers.
>>
>> And Win 11 is Win 10 with extra paint. And ads.
>
> My wife unthinkingly upgraded her PC to Windows 11 where I don't use hers
> often but I haven't seen any ads on hers. Are you sure Win 11 has ads?
>
> To be clear, I'm sure YouTube has ads (even though I never see them).
> And I'm sure web pages you go to will show ads (again, I never see them).
>
> But it seems you're claiming the operating system is popping up ads.
> Under what circumstances does Windows 11 show non-app advertisements?

Well Windows apparently is trying to sell their own products (Bing,
onedrive, etc)

Also the bloat auto installed apps are undeniably adverts

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ko3dsnFguu9U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17198&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17198

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 23:03:19 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 21:03 UTC

On 2023-10-03 04:11, Wally J wrote:
> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote
>
>>> Most of the functionality in Windows (or Android) isn't coming from the
>>> maker of the operating system - the functionality comes from developers.
>>
>> And Win 11 is Win 10 with extra paint. And ads.
>
> My wife unthinkingly upgraded her PC to Windows 11 where I don't use hers
> often but I haven't seen any ads on hers. Are you sure Win 11 has ads?
>
> To be clear, I'm sure YouTube has ads (even though I never see them).
> And I'm sure web pages you go to will show ads (again, I never see them).
>
> But it seems you're claiming the operating system is popping up ads.
> Under what circumstances does Windows 11 show non-app advertisements?

On another person using Windows (unknown version, I did not check) I see
"things" pop up from the bottom-right which if not adverts are
borderline and which have to be closed. I did not pay attention, so I
can't cite what they said.

And no, she is not using a M$ account.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufi006$3mhia$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17199&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17199

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 16:10:30 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 21:10 UTC

On 10/3/23 16:03, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On another person using Windows (unknown version, I did not check) I see
> "things" pop up from the bottom-right which if not adverts are
> borderline and which have to be closed. I did not pay attention, so I
> can't cite what they said.
>
> And no, she is not using a M$ account.

Didn't they add a permanent "Contacts" button in the taskbar? Or am I
remembering wrong?

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ko523nFlfqU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17205&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17205

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 13:54:31 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 11:54 UTC

On 2023-10-03 23:10, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 10/3/23 16:03, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On another person using Windows (unknown version, I did not check) I
>> see "things" pop up from the bottom-right which if not adverts are
>> borderline and which have to be closed. I did not pay attention, so I
>> can't cite what they said.
>>
>> And no, she is not using a M$ account.
>>

> Didn't they add a permanent "Contacts" button in the taskbar? Or am I
> remembering wrong?

Maybe, I don't know, but she uses gmail webmail, so no contacts on the
system tool or known to Windows.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufk1bt.8bo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17207&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17207

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 4 Oct 2023 13:46:18 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 13:46 UTC

Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-10-03 04:11, Wally J wrote:
> > candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote

> >> And Win 11 is Win 10 with extra paint. And ads.
> >
> > My wife unthinkingly upgraded her PC to Windows 11 where I don't use hers
> > often but I haven't seen any ads on hers. Are you sure Win 11 has ads?
> >
> > To be clear, I'm sure YouTube has ads (even though I never see them).
> > And I'm sure web pages you go to will show ads (again, I never see them).
> >
> > But it seems you're claiming the operating system is popping up ads.
> > Under what circumstances does Windows 11 show non-app advertisements?
>
> On another person using Windows (unknown version, I did not check) I see
> "things" pop up from the bottom-right which if not adverts are
> borderline and which have to be closed. I did not pay attention, so I
> can't cite what they said.
>
> And no, she is not using a M$ account.

If on the bottom-right, just above the Taskbar, they are probably
notifications, i.e. similar to what you (can) get on the lock screen and
notification panel of your smartphone.

Configuration in done via Settings -> System -> Notifications.

You can turn off all notifications or configure details, also on a per
'app' basis. Also things like 'Do not disturb' are there.

From a comment on the settings page, I understand that this thing is
called the 'notification centre' (Yes, my system is UK English! :-)).

Anyway, also in the notification centre, I get *no* ads on this
Windows 11 Home (local account) system.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufmu8c$12kua$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17214&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17214

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:11:24 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 18:11 UTC

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote

> I get *no* ads on this
> Windows 11 Home (local account) system.

I have never seen an ad in Windows 10 and not on my wife's Windows 11.
If someone sees an ad, then they did something very wrong. But what?
I don't know.

I didn't do whatever they did to get those ads.
Same on my Android phone. No ads.

BTW, this is the _best_ search engine, bar none, for finding good apps on
the Google Play Store repository - where one of the buttons is "no ads".
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=scadica.aq>

For the Apple users on this thread, only Apple requires a mothership
tracking account for you to download apps off the mothership repo.

Not only does only Apple require an account to track everything you do,
but only Apple inserts a unique tracking id into _every_ app you install.

Google does NOT do that.
Microsoft does NOT do that.

Only Apple tracks you like that.
a. Google can't.
b. Microsoft can't.

Only Apple can, and does.
--
My goal is to bring the God's honest truth to these supremely ignorant and
almost completely uneducated child-like Apple users on these Apple ngs.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ko9ol6Fof9nU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17221&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17221

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 08:43:50 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 06:43 UTC

On 2023-10-04 15:46, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-10-03 04:11, Wally J wrote:
>>> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote

>>> My wife unthinkingly upgraded her PC to Windows 11 where I don't use hers
>>> often but I haven't seen any ads on hers. Are you sure Win 11 has ads?
>>>
>>> To be clear, I'm sure YouTube has ads (even though I never see them).
>>> And I'm sure web pages you go to will show ads (again, I never see them).
>>>
>>> But it seems you're claiming the operating system is popping up ads.
>>> Under what circumstances does Windows 11 show non-app advertisements?
>>
>> On another person using Windows (unknown version, I did not check) I see
>> "things" pop up from the bottom-right which if not adverts are
>> borderline and which have to be closed. I did not pay attention, so I
>> can't cite what they said.
>>
>> And no, she is not using a M$ account.
>
> If on the bottom-right, just above the Taskbar, they are probably
> notifications, i.e. similar to what you (can) get on the lock screen and
> notification panel of your smartphone.

Could be that, yes. I did not have time to play with it much.

> Configuration in done via Settings -> System -> Notifications.
>
> You can turn off all notifications or configure details, also on a per
> 'app' basis. Also things like 'Do not disturb' are there.
>
> From a comment on the settings page, I understand that this thing is
> called the 'notification centre' (Yes, my system is UK English! :-)).
>
> Anyway, also in the notification centre, I get *no* ads on this
> Windows 11 Home (local account) system.

A peeve she had was with lots of adverts on the browser. Turned out that
she was using Chrome. I installed Firefox with uBlock Origin, and that
was a difference. Problem is, she is really used to Chrome integration
with google tools.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufpfig$1l4nj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17224&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17224

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 10:19:02 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 17:19 UTC

On 10/5/23 11:43 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> A peeve she had was with lots of adverts on the browser. Turned out that
> she was using Chrome. I installed Firefox with uBlock Origin, and that
> was a difference. Problem is, she is really used to Chrome integration
> with google tools.

Adblock Plus works beautifully in both firefox and chrome, at least in
linux. I haven't put chrome on the windows machine so I don't actually
know if it works on chrome/windows.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Americans are looking for more government in their life,

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufplme$165hn$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17225&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17225

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 15:03:42 -0400
References: <uevcfb$2kglb$1@dont-email.me> <uf7du4$etk4$1@dont-email.me> <uf7fl6$1ja1$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <uf7oq1$gpps$1@dont-email.me> <uf87ti$fg0s$4@dont-email.me> <ufb045$3luji$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ufcshi$1d43h$6@dont-email.me> <ufft7q$742u$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ko3dsnFguu9U2@mid.individual.net> <ufk1bt.8bo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <ko9ol6Fof9nU5@mid.individual.net> <ufpfig$1l4nj$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Wally J - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:03 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote

> Adblock Plus works beautifully in both firefox and chrome, at least in
> linux. I haven't put chrome on the windows machine so I don't actually
> know if it works on chrome/windows.

Hi The Real Bev,

Even if you were to put a "Chrome" browser onto Windows, I'd recommend the
Ungoogled Chromium browser instead - for reasons that should be obvious.
<https://beebom.com/how-install-ungoogled-chromium/>

To further add value to the statements above, on Windows, the two main
Chromium-based privacy-oriented browsers Epic & Opera seem to block most
ads (even YouTube ads) in my use of them both over the years on Win10.
Epic Privacy Browser: <https://www.epicbrowser.com/>
Opera VPN Browser: <https://www.opera.com/>

A good idea is to set your _default_ Windows browser to one of those.
Almost never do you bring up the default browser on purpose, right?

At least I never do.
Do you?

Anyway, the only time my default browser pops up is when "something" pops
it up, e.g., the end of an installer often pops up a "thank you" page.

Of course the killswitch handles that, but sometimes you get a web stub as
the installer and in that case you must install while connected to the net.

It's helpful then that the page which pops up doesn't identify your IP
address because it will automatically get the browser proxy IP address.

Of course another way around that problem is to use a VPN instead.
--
Note: Privacy/security is a billion things... step by step... one by one.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufplql$165nv$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17226&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17226

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 15:05:57 -0400
References: <uevcfb$2kglb$1@dont-email.me> <uf7du4$etk4$1@dont-email.me> <uf7fl6$1ja1$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <uf7oq1$gpps$1@dont-email.me> <uf87ti$fg0s$4@dont-email.me> <ufb045$3luji$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ufcshi$1d43h$6@dont-email.me> <ufft7q$742u$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ko3dsnFguu9U2@mid.individual.net> <ufk1bt.8bo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <ko9ol6Fof9nU5@mid.individual.net> <ufod5t$1egj1$1@dont-email.me> <koauhtFufibU2@mid.individual.net> <ufphm8$1m1mn$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Wally J - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:05 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote

> On 10/6/2023 10:30 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> Where are the ads located? There's no ads in my Chrome browsers
>>> (Windows and Android).
>
>> Anywhere in the pages.
>
> If you mean web page ads brought up by the Chrome browser that's not
> Chrome's fault. Chrome itself has no ads.

>>> uBlock Origin is an available extension for the Chrome browser.
>
>> Possibly... I'm not familiar with Chrome myself.
>
> Ah. You might try using Chrome a bit before complaining about it.
>
>> In Linux, my normal browsing is with Firefox. When some page refuses
>> to work with Chrome (there are some) then I switch to Chrome, not
>> blocking anything so that the page does work.

>>> Sounds like the ads were coming from outside the browser or perhaps
>>> it had been hacked. Do a little more checking and give her her
>>> browser back...
>
>> I can't, there is a big pond between us.
>
> Too bad. It appears you messed her up and now can't fix it.
>
>> I see similar adverts myself when I don't use an add blocker in the
>> browser.
>
> True for most all browsers. Your statement above that Chrome was the
> cause of your friend's ad problem was false...

To strive to add further value to those correct statements by AJL...

I agree that the "ads" are likely coming not from the browser,
but most likely those ads are coming from the pages visited.

Note that there are Chrome-based browsers which block ads
by default such as Epic Privacy Browser (or something similar).
*Epic Privacy Browser* (no ads)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.epic.browser>

The other problem is Chrome itself (which I'll assume you know about).

Hence a related suggestion for those reading this stuff about Chrome,
is 1st & foremost to get native chrome stuff off your user partition.
C:\> adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.chrome
C:\> adb shell pm uninstall --user 0
com.sec.android.app.chromecustomizations

Yes... there are "chrome customizations"... whatever they are...

Then I'd install Ungoogled Chromium (or Bromite) instead.
<https://www.bromite.org/>
<https://github.com/bromite/bromite>

Lot's of reasons why...

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufpqqe$1strl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17227&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17227

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 13:31:00 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:31 UTC

On 10/6/23 12:03 PM, Wally J wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> Adblock Plus works beautifully in both firefox and chrome, at least in
>> linux. I haven't put chrome on the windows machine so I don't actually
>> know if it works on chrome/windows.
>
> Hi The Real Bev,
>
> Even if you were to put a "Chrome" browser onto Windows, I'd recommend the
> Ungoogled Chromium browser instead - for reasons that should be obvious.
> <https://beebom.com/how-install-ungoogled-chromium/>
>
> To further add value to the statements above, on Windows, the two main
> Chromium-based privacy-oriented browsers Epic & Opera seem to block most
> ads (even YouTube ads) in my use of them both over the years on Win10.
> Epic Privacy Browser: <https://www.epicbrowser.com/>
> Opera VPN Browser: <https://www.opera.com/>
>
> A good idea is to set your _default_ Windows browser to one of those.
> Almost never do you bring up the default browser on purpose, right?
>
> At least I never do.
> Do you?

No. I put Firefox on, but haven't bothered to do any
personalization/configuration on it. Accordingly,when I have to use it
I have to figure out what to do -- the virgin version is vastly
different from the version(s) that I use. I wish I wanted to spend some
time working on it, but I don't.

Hrm. I thought I'd put adblock on the win firefox. I know I've done it
before, but maybe it was on the laptop... Gotta check next time I fire
it up.

> Anyway, the only time my default browser pops up is when "something" pops
> it up, e.g., the end of an installer often pops up a "thank you" page.
>
> Of course the killswitch handles that, but sometimes you get a web stub as
> the installer and in that case you must install while connected to the net.
>
> It's helpful then that the page which pops up doesn't identify your IP
> address because it will automatically get the browser proxy IP address.
>
> Of course another way around that problem is to use a VPN instead.

I think NORD gives the best bang for the buck.

--
Cheers, Bev
Q: How many lawyers does it take to grease a combine?

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<E145C170.1DB9%usenet@dorper.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17228&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17228

From: usenet@dorper.me (Dorper)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 13:51:44 -0700
References: <uevcfb$2kglb$1@dont-email.me> <uf7du4$etk4$1@dont-email.me> <uf7fl6$1ja1$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <uf7oq1$gpps$1@dont-email.me> <uf87ti$fg0s$4@dont-email.me> <ufb045$3luji$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ufcshi$1d43h$6@dont-email.me> <ufft7q$742u$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ko3dsnFguu9U2@mid.individual.net> <ufk1bt.8bo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <ko9ol6Fof9nU5@mid.individual.net> <ufod5t$1egj1$1@dont-email.me> <koauhtFufibU2@mid.individual.net> <ufphm8$1m1mn$1@dont-email.me> <ufplql$165nv$1@paganini.bofh.team>
 by: Dorper - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:51 UTC

On 10/6/23, 12:05 PM, in article ufplql$165nv$1@paganini.bofh.team, "Wally
J" <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote

>>> Anywhere in the pages.
>>
>> If you mean web page ads brought up by the Chrome browser that's not
>> Chrome's fault. Chrome itself has no ads.

>>> Possibly... I'm not familiar with Chrome myself.
>>
>> Ah. You might try using Chrome a bit before complaining about it.
>>
>>> In Linux, my normal browsing is with Firefox. When some page refuses
>>> to work with Chrome (there are some) then I switch to Chrome, not
>>> blocking anything so that the page does work.

>>> I can't, there is a big pond between us.
>>
>> Too bad. It appears you messed her up and now can't fix it.
>>
>>> I see similar adverts myself when I don't use an add blocker in the
>>> browser.
>>
>> True for most all browsers. Your statement above that Chrome was the
>> cause of your friend's ad problem was false...
>
> To strive to add further value to those correct statements by AJL...
>
> I agree that the "ads" are likely coming not from the browser,
> but most likely those ads are coming from the pages visited.
>
> Note that there are Chrome-based browsers which block ads
> by default such as Epic Privacy Browser (or something similar).
> *Epic Privacy Browser* (no ads)
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.epic.browser>
>
> The other problem is Chrome itself (which I'll assume you know about).
>
> Hence a related suggestion for those reading this stuff about Chrome,
> is 1st & foremost to get native chrome stuff off your user partition.
> C:\> adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.chrome
> C:\> adb shell pm uninstall --user 0
> com.sec.android.app.chromecustomizations
>
> Yes... there are "chrome customizations"... whatever they are...
>
> Then I'd install Ungoogled Chromium (or Bromite) instead.
> <https://www.bromite.org/>
> <https://github.com/bromite/bromite>
>
> Lot's of reasons why...

Chrome is baked into Android System WebView the same way that WebKit is
baked into iOS.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<gb%TM.5635$igw9.2683@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17229&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17229

hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 17:42:36 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 21:42 UTC

On 2023-10-06 16:31, The Real Bev wrote:

> I think NORD gives the best bang for the buck.

I currently have Nord with no complaints.

As to bang for the buck, when the 2 year (or whatever) term is up I just
watch a few YouTube videos and shop the best sponsored offers off of that.

When it comes to VPN's there are plenty of companies to choose from and
the offerings are pretty much the same. Which is why the discounts are
so steep.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<kobe3qF2acnU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17231&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17231

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: 6 Oct 2023 21:56:10 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 21:56 UTC

On 2023-10-06, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-10-06 16:31, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> I think NORD gives the best bang for the buck.
>
> I currently have Nord with no complaints.
>
> As to bang for the buck, when the 2 year (or whatever) term is up I just
> watch a few YouTube videos and shop the best sponsored offers off of that.
>
> When it comes to VPN's there are plenty of companies to choose from and
> the offerings are pretty much the same. Which is why the discounts are
> so steep.

Some are more private and protective of their users than others.

JR

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<6C%TM.8422$Ssze.5040@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17232&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17232

hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 18:11:14 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 22:11 UTC

On 2023-10-06 17:56, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-10-06, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> On 2023-10-06 16:31, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> I think NORD gives the best bang for the buck.
>>
>> I currently have Nord with no complaints.
>>
>> As to bang for the buck, when the 2 year (or whatever) term is up I just
>> watch a few YouTube videos and shop the best sponsored offers off of that.
>>
>> When it comes to VPN's there are plenty of companies to choose from and
>> the offerings are pretty much the same. Which is why the discounts are
>> so steep.
>
> Some are more private and protective of their users than others.

Probably - Nord has a good rep in that regard. I'll do my research
before the next flip which is ... ugh, this coming Feb... <sigh>

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<kobjjkF3novU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17233&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17233

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: 6 Oct 2023 23:29:56 GMT
<uf7oq1$gpps$1@dont-email.me> <uf87ti$fg0s$4@dont-email.me>
<ufb045$3luji$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ufcshi$1d43h$6@dont-email.me>
<ufft7q$742u$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ko3dsnFguu9U2@mid.individual.net>
<ufk1bt.8bo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>
<ko9ol6Fof9nU5@mid.individual.net> <ufpfig$1l4nj$1@dont-email.me>
<ufplme$165hn$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ufpqqe$1strl$1@dont-email.me>
<gb%TM.5635$igw9.2683@fx37.iad> <kobe3qF2acnU5@mid.individual.net>
<6C%TM.8422$Ssze.5040@fx48.iad>
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 23:29 UTC

On 2023-10-06, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-10-06 17:56, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> I currently have Nord with no complaints.
>>>
>>> As to bang for the buck, when the 2 year (or whatever) term is up I
>>> just watch a few YouTube videos and shop the best sponsored offers
>>> off of that.
>>>
>>> When it comes to VPN's there are plenty of companies to choose from
>>> and the offerings are pretty much the same. Which is why the
>>> discounts are so steep.
>>
>> Some are more private and protective of their users than others.
>
> Probably - Nord has a good rep in that regard. I'll do my research
> before the next flip which is ... ugh, this coming Feb... <sigh>

Yes, it appears Nord's no-logs policy has been verified by independent
auditors, which is also the case for Proton's VPN service. But I do
recall Nord VPN being breached a few years ago. I'm sure they've beefed
up security since then. I prefer Proton anyway since I use them for
other services.

JR

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufq5pp$1v0ul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17234&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17234

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:38:33 -0400
References: <uevcfb$2kglb$1@dont-email.me> <uf7du4$etk4$1@dont-email.me> <uf7fl6$1ja1$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <uf7oq1$gpps$1@dont-email.me> <uf87ti$fg0s$4@dont-email.me> <ufb045$3luji$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ufcshi$1d43h$6@dont-email.me> <ufft7q$742u$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ko3dsnFguu9U2@mid.individual.net> <ufk1bt.8bo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <ko9ol6Fof9nU5@mid.individual.net> <ufpfig$1l4nj$1@dont-email.me> <ufplme$165hn$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ufpqqe$1strl$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Wally J - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 23:38 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote

>> Almost never do you bring up the default browser on purpose, right?
>>
>> At least I never do.
>> Do you?
>
> No. I put Firefox on, but haven't bothered to do any
> personalization/configuration on it. Accordingly,when I have to use it
> I have to figure out what to do -- the virgin version is vastly
> different from the version(s) that I use. I wish I wanted to spend some
> time working on it, but I don't.

Some friendly advice... Firefox isn't what it used to be, in terms of
privacy, such that you _must_ adjust the default phone-home settings.

More about that in the Firefox Usenet newsgroup automatic archives.
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.software.firefox>

> Hrm. I thought I'd put adblock on the win firefox. I know I've done it
> before, but maybe it was on the laptop... Gotta check next time I fire
> it up.

The advantage of Epic & Opera is the adblock is designed into the thing.

>> Anyway, the only time my default browser pops up is when "something" pops
>> it up, e.g., the end of an installer often pops up a "thank you" page.
>>
>> Of course the killswitch handles that, but sometimes you get a web stub as
>> the installer and in that case you must install while connected to the net.
>>
>> It's helpful then that the page which pops up doesn't identify your IP
>> address because it will automatically get the browser proxy IP address.
>>
>> Of course another way around that problem is to use a VPN instead.
>
> I think NORD gives the best bang for the buck.

There are as many opinions about the "best VPN" as there are people using
them, where I use only the freeware VPNs (thousands of servers for free).

But I use VPN for IP obfuscation - not because my public Usenet messages
are so secret that bar jbhyq arrq n GFFV frphevgl pyrnenaprf sbe npprff.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<tG1UM.16120$xTV9.391@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17235&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17235

hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
<6C%TM.8422$Ssze.5040@fx48.iad> <kobjjkF3novU1@mid.individual.net>
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:32:25 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 00:32 UTC

On 2023-10-06 19:29, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-10-06, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

>>> Some are more private and protective of their users than others.
>>
>> Probably - Nord has a good rep in that regard. I'll do my research
>> before the next flip which is ... ugh, this coming Feb... <sigh>
>
> Yes, it appears Nord's no-logs policy has been verified by independent
> auditors, which is also the case for Proton's VPN service. But I do
> recall Nord VPN being breached a few years ago. I'm sure they've beefed
> up security since then. I prefer Proton anyway since I use them for
> other services.

I've had Proton Mail since ... sheesh, a damned long time!

I'll try to remember them when VPN switch time comes.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<kobo8gF45mgU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17236&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17236

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: 7 Oct 2023 00:49:20 GMT
<uf7oq1$gpps$1@dont-email.me> <uf87ti$fg0s$4@dont-email.me>
<ufb045$3luji$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ufcshi$1d43h$6@dont-email.me>
<ufft7q$742u$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ko3dsnFguu9U2@mid.individual.net>
<ufk1bt.8bo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>
<ko9ol6Fof9nU5@mid.individual.net> <ufpfig$1l4nj$1@dont-email.me>
<ufplme$165hn$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ufpqqe$1strl$1@dont-email.me>
<gb%TM.5635$igw9.2683@fx37.iad> <kobe3qF2acnU5@mid.individual.net>
<6C%TM.8422$Ssze.5040@fx48.iad> <kobjjkF3novU1@mid.individual.net>
<tG1UM.16120$xTV9.391@fx39.iad>
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 00:49 UTC

On 2023-10-07, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-10-06 19:29, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Probably - Nord has a good rep in that regard. I'll do my research
>>> before the next flip which is ... ugh, this coming Feb... <sigh>
>>
>> Yes, it appears Nord's no-logs policy has been verified by independent
>> auditors, which is also the case for Proton's VPN service. But I do
>> recall Nord VPN being breached a few years ago. I'm sure they've beefed
>> up security since then. I prefer Proton anyway since I use them for
>> other services.
>
> I've had Proton Mail since ... sheesh, a damned long time!

I don't know of any really comparable mail service in terms of privacy.

> I'll try to remember them when VPN switch time comes.

I've enjoyed it for a few years now. They have a really cool Secure Core
feature which routes your VPN traffic through secure servers in
countries with strong data privacy laws before connecting to secondary
VPN servers, essentially doubling your privacy and making it that much
harder to discover your network activity:

<https://protonvpn.com/secure-vpn/secure-core>

JR

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufqghf$25007$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17237&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17237

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.system
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:41:41 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 02:41 UTC

On 10/6/23 2:42 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-10-06 16:31, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> I think NORD gives the best bang for the buck.
>
> I currently have Nord with no complaints.
>
> As to bang for the buck, when the 2 year (or whatever) term is up I just
> watch a few YouTube videos and shop the best sponsored offers off of that.
>
> When it comes to VPN's there are plenty of companies to choose from and
> the offerings are pretty much the same. Which is why the discounts are
> so steep.

The Brits recognize some of them as VPN numbers and keep locking you out
of the BBC stuff you want to see.

--
Cheers, Bev
That's my opinion. Ought to be yours.

Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry

<ufqhbu$1c53f$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17239&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17239

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 22:55:58 -0400
References: <uevcfb$2kglb$1@dont-email.me> <uf7du4$etk4$1@dont-email.me> <uf7fl6$1ja1$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <uf7oq1$gpps$1@dont-email.me> <uf87ti$fg0s$4@dont-email.me> <ufb045$3luji$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ufcshi$1d43h$6@dont-email.me> <ufft7q$742u$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ko3dsnFguu9U2@mid.individual.net> <ufk1bt.8bo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <ko9ol6Fof9nU5@mid.individual.net> <ufod5t$1egj1$1@dont-email.me> <koauhtFufibU2@mid.individual.net> <ufphm8$1m1mn$1@dont-email.me> <ufplql$165nv$1@paganini.bofh.team> <E145C170.1DB9%usenet@dorper.me>
 by: Wally J - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 02:55 UTC

Dorper <usenet@dorper.me> wrote

> Chrome is baked into Android System WebView the same way that WebKit is
> baked into iOS.

WebView? I had never heard of Android System WebView before.

It was here.
<https://i.postimg.cc/8kfsyKdV/webview01.jpg> WebView is here
Now it's gone.
<https://i.postimg.cc/dtLBhFqh/webview02.jpg> WebView is gone

I am not ashamed to say I've never heard of Android System WebView
(although I'm all too familiar with Apple's walled-garden WebKit).
a. Ignorance can be cured (rather easily);
b. It's stupidity that can't be cured.

Thank you for bringing up Android System WebView so we can learn from you.
And thank you for making the (presumed) "equivalence" with Apple's WebKit.

This presumed equivalence may be true. Or it may not be true.
I'd have to know more since I never looked up Android System WebView.

To find out more about what WebView does for Android 10 and up,
and to then compare & contrast it with WebKit, I opened this thread.

*Compare & contrast Apple's WebKit with Google's Android System WebView*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/hKRmO7SdoUI>

Thank you for bringing up a fact and an assessment of that fact, where I
will discuss that further with you when I learn more of the facts.

FACT: "Chrome is baked into Android System WebView..."
ASSESSMENT: "...the same way that WebKit is baked into iOS."
--
I prefer to discuss topics on the Apple Usenet newsgroups at the level
an adult would appreciate and not at the level of the child-like iKooks.