FORTH IF HONK THEN

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Mouse battery warning

SubjectAuthor
* Mouse battery warningConnor Shannon
+* Mouse battery warningYour Name
|+* Mouse battery warningJörg_Lorenz
||`* Mouse battery warningYour Name
|| `- Mouse battery warningJörg_Lorenz
|+- Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
|`- Mouse battery warningsuper70s
+* Mouse battery warningJörg_Lorenz
|`- Mouse battery warningJörg_Lorenz
`* Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
 `* Mouse battery warningJoerg Lorenz
  +* Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  |`* Mouse battery warningJolly Roger
  | +* Mouse battery warningConnor Shannon
  | |+- Mouse battery warningJolly Roger
  | |+- Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  | |+* Mouse battery warningYour Name
  | ||`* Mouse battery warningConnor Shannon
  | || `- Mouse battery warningYour Name
  | |`- Mouse battery warningYour Name
  | +* Mouse battery warningAlrescha
  | |+- Mouse battery warningJolly Roger
  | |`- Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  | `* Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  |  `* Mouse battery warningJolly Roger
  |   `* Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  |    `* Mouse battery warningsuper70s
  |     `* Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  |      `* Mouse battery warningJolly Roger
  |       `- Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  `- Mouse battery warningYour Name

Pages:12
Mouse battery warning

<ae7ae257-9dc6-4525-9e52-5fe9658c5b81n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17463&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17463

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 16:04:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Mouse battery warning
From: cshannon1898@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 00:04 UTC

Hi I got a new iMac a while ago and the old one would bug me for days or weeks when the mouse or keyboard battery was getting low but now the new one doesn't warn me at all! At least with the keyboard I can keep using it while its charging but the mouse stops and I have to turn it over and plug it in and I can't use the computer while I wait for it.

I looked in settings but couldn't find any place to make a reminder did I miss something?

Re: Mouse battery warning

<uj1d2c$1jj2r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17465&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17465

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Mouse battery warning
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:14:20 +1300
 by: Your Name - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 03:14 UTC

On 2023-11-15 00:04:26 +0000, Connor Shannon said:

> Hi I got a new iMac a while ago and the old one would bug me for days
> or weeks when the mouse or keyboard battery was getting low but now the
> new one doesn't warn me at all! At least with the keyboard I can keep
> using it while its charging but the mouse stops and I have to turn it
> over and plug it in and I can't use the computer while I wait for it.
>
> I looked in settings but couldn't find any place to make a reminder did
> I miss something?

The joys of stupid wireless rubbish. Just get a proper wired keyboard
and wired mouse, and you won't have such issues.

Even Apple's own troubleshooting guides often suggest plugging in a
wired keyboard, but they no longer even make a proper one, let alone
ship it with any Mac. :-(

Re: Mouse battery warning

<uj29l0$1neht$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17468&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17468

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:22:08 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:22 UTC

Am 15.11.23 um 04:14 schrieb Your Name:
> On 2023-11-15 00:04:26 +0000, Connor Shannon said:
>
>> Hi I got a new iMac a while ago and the old one would bug me for days
>> or weeks when the mouse or keyboard battery was getting low but now the
>> new one doesn't warn me at all! At least with the keyboard I can keep
>> using it while its charging but the mouse stops and I have to turn it
>> over and plug it in and I can't use the computer while I wait for it.
>>
>> I looked in settings but couldn't find any place to make a reminder did
>> I miss something?
>
> The joys of stupid wireless rubbish. Just get a proper wired keyboard
> and wired mouse, and you won't have such issues.

You are the biggest and most ignorant idiot in the Usenet. Sorry.

> Even Apple's own troubleshooting guides often suggest plugging in a
> wired keyboard, but they no longer even make a proper one, let alone
> ship it with any Mac. :-(

Unbelievable nonsense to say the least.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Mouse battery warning

<uj29mi$1neht$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17469&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17469

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:22:57 +0100

Am 15.11.23 um 01:04 schrieb Connor Shannon:
> Hi I got a new iMac a while ago and the old one would bug me for days or weeks when the mouse or keyboard battery was getting low but now the new one doesn't warn me at all! At least with the keyboard I can keep using it while its charging but the mouse stops and I have to turn it over and plug it in and I can't use the computer while I wait for it.
>
> I looked in settings but couldn't find any place to make a reminder did I miss something?

What kind of mouse and keyboard are you using?

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Mouse battery warning

<uj29qq$1nehu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17470&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17470

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:25:14 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:25 UTC

Am 15.11.23 um 12:22 schrieb Jörg Lorenz:
> Am 15.11.23 um 01:04 schrieb Connor Shannon:
>> Hi I got a new iMac a while ago and the old one would bug me for days or weeks when the mouse or keyboard battery was getting low but now the new one doesn't warn me at all! At least with the keyboard I can keep using it while its charging but the mouse stops and I have to turn it over and plug it in and I can't use the computer while I wait for it.
>>
>> I looked in settings but couldn't find any place to make a reminder did I miss something?
>
> What kind of mouse and keyboard are you using?

BTW: One klick on the BT-symbol in the menu-bar shows you the charging
level of all attached wireless Apple-mice and Apple-keyboards and more
accessories.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Mouse battery warning

<tf45N.53869$svP4.35369@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17471&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17471

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:06:17 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:06 UTC

On 2023-11-14 19:04, Connor Shannon wrote:
> Hi I got a new iMac a while ago and the old one would bug me for days or weeks when the mouse or keyboard battery was getting low but now the new one doesn't warn me at all! At least with the keyboard I can keep using it while its charging but the mouse stops and I have to turn it over and plug it in and I can't use the computer while I wait for it.
>
> I looked in settings but couldn't find any place to make a reminder did I miss something?

When you click on the bluetooth setting does it show the battery level?

That mouse design is a gas of stupidity.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<Bi45N.53870$svP4.39570@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17472&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17472

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:09:36 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:09 UTC

On 2023-11-14 22:14, Your Name wrote:
> On 2023-11-15 00:04:26 +0000, Connor Shannon said:
>
>> Hi I got a new iMac a while ago and the old one would bug me for days
>> or weeks when the mouse or keyboard battery was getting low but now
>> the new one doesn't warn me at all! At least with the keyboard I can
>> keep using it while its charging but the mouse stops and I have to
>> turn it over and plug it in and I can't use the computer while I wait
>> for it.
>>
>> I looked in settings but couldn't find any place to make a reminder
>> did I miss something?
>
> The joys of stupid wireless rubbish. Just get a proper wired keyboard
> and wired mouse, and you won't have such issues.

Wireless KB & mouse (trackpad here) helps declutter my desks making it
easier to shove them forward to make room if I need to use a notebad or
journal.

> Even Apple's own troubleshooting guides often suggest plugging in a
> wired keyboard, but they no longer even make a proper one, let alone
> ship it with any Mac.  :-(

Never had an issue firing up a new Mac with wireless input devices.

Any generic wired keyboard will work if you're that much of a nervous nelly.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<uj2o7j$1pqja$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17474&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17474

From: super70s@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:30:59 -0600
 by: super70s - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:30 UTC

On 2023-11-15 03:14:20 +0000, Your Name said:

> On 2023-11-15 00:04:26 +0000, Connor Shannon said:
>
>> Hi I got a new iMac a while ago and the old one would bug me for days
>> or weeks when the mouse or keyboard battery was getting low but now the
>> new one doesn't warn me at all! At least with the keyboard I can keep
>> using it while its charging but the mouse stops and I have to turn it
>> over and plug it in and I can't use the computer while I wait for it.
>>
>> I looked in settings but couldn't find any place to make a reminder did
>> I miss something?
>
> The joys of stupid wireless rubbish. Just get a proper wired keyboard
> and wired mouse, and you won't have such issues.

Hear hear, I'm a dedicated M5769 mouse and A1242 keyboard man myself.
Why complicate your life.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<uj2ruh$1q9f3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17475&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17475

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:34:25 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:34 UTC

On 15.11.23 15:06, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-11-14 19:04, Connor Shannon wrote:
>> Hi I got a new iMac a while ago and the old one would bug me for days or weeks when the mouse or keyboard battery was getting low but now the new one doesn't warn me at all! At least with the keyboard I can keep using it while its charging but the mouse stops and I have to turn it over and plug it in and I can't use the computer while I wait for it.
>>
>> I looked in settings but couldn't find any place to make a reminder did I miss something?
>
> When you click on the bluetooth setting does it show the battery level?
>
> That mouse design is a gas of stupidity.

This time ist is you. I never had an issue.

--
Sent with Betterbird by a Penguin.
Simply better. www.betterbird.eu

Re: Mouse battery warning

<tz85N.1747$WdYd.865@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17477&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17477

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:00:41 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:00 UTC

On 2023-11-15 11:34, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> On 15.11.23 15:06, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2023-11-14 19:04, Connor Shannon wrote:
>>> Hi I got a new iMac a while ago and the old one would bug me for days or weeks when the mouse or keyboard battery was getting low but now the new one doesn't warn me at all! At least with the keyboard I can keep using it while its charging but the mouse stops and I have to turn it over and plug it in and I can't use the computer while I wait for it.
>>>
>>> I looked in settings but couldn't find any place to make a reminder did I miss something?
>>
>> When you click on the bluetooth setting does it show the battery level?
>>
>> That mouse design is a gas of stupidity.
>
> This time ist is you. I never had an issue.

Having the charging port on the bottom is abjectly bad design.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<uj39nh$1ss47$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17478&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17478

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 09:29:37 +1300
 by: Your Name - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:29 UTC

On 2023-11-15 11:22:08 +0000, Jörg Lorenz said:

> Am 15.11.23 um 04:14 schrieb Your Name:
>> On 2023-11-15 00:04:26 +0000, Connor Shannon said:
>>
>>> Hi I got a new iMac a while ago and the old one would bug me for days
>>> or weeks when the mouse or keyboard battery was getting low but now the
>>> new one doesn't warn me at all! At least with the keyboard I can keep
>>> using it while its charging but the mouse stops and I have to turn it
>>> over and plug it in and I can't use the computer while I wait for it.
>>>
>>> I looked in settings but couldn't find any place to make a reminder did
>>> I miss something?
>>
>> The joys of stupid wireless rubbish. Just get a proper wired keyboard
>> and wired mouse, and you won't have such issues.
>
> You are the biggest and most ignorant idiot in the Usenet. Sorry.

Another braindead moron added to the killfile.

>> Even Apple's own troubleshooting guides often suggest plugging in a
>> wired keyboard, but they no longer even make a proper one, let alone
>> ship it with any Mac. :-(
>
> Unbelievable nonsense to say the least.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<uj39r5$1stbn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17479&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17479

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 09:31:33 +1300
 by: Your Name - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:31 UTC

On 2023-11-15 16:34:25 +0000, Joerg Lorenz said:

> On 15.11.23 15:06, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2023-11-14 19:04, Connor Shannon wrote:
>>> Hi I got a new iMac a while ago and the old one would bug me for days
>>> or weeks when the mouse or keyboard battery was getting low but now the
>>> new one doesn't warn me at all! At least with the keyboard I can keep
>>> using it while its charging but the mouse stops and I have to turn it
>>> over and plug it in and I can't use the computer while I wait for it.
>>>
>>> I looked in settings but couldn't find any place to make a reminder did
>>> I miss something?
>>
>> When you click on the bluetooth setting does it show the battery level?
>>
>> That mouse design is a gas of stupidity.
>
> This time ist is you. I never had an issue.

What a non-surpise. The brainless moron troll has multiple posting names. :-\

Re: Mouse battery warning

<uj3a84$1suhk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17480&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17480

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 21:38:28 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:38 UTC

Am 15.11.23 um 21:29 schrieb Your Name:
> On 2023-11-15 11:22:08 +0000, Jörg Lorenz said:

>>> The joys of stupid wireless rubbish. Just get a proper wired keyboard
>>> and wired mouse, and you won't have such issues.
>>
>> You are the biggest and most ignorant idiot in the Usenet. Sorry.
>
> Another braindead moron added to the killfile.

Thank you.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Mouse battery warning

<krkrpeF7vorU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17481&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17481

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 15 Nov 2023 21:33:34 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 21:33 UTC

On 2023-11-15, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-11-15 11:34, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>>> When you click on the bluetooth setting does it show the battery
>>> level?
>>>
>>> That mouse design is a gas of stupidity.
>>
>> This time ist is you. I never had an issue.
>
> Having the charging port on the bottom is abjectly bad design.

It's definitely an example of asshole design. Whoever was in charge of
that design decided that it should actively prevent users from using the
device while connected to power. Wasn't Jony Ives heading up design at
the time?

JR

Re: Mouse battery warning

<300e17c2-974e-4600-9504-a930ceaf790fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17483&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17483

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:10:38 -0800 (PST)
From: cshannon1898@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 23:10 UTC

its the keyboard and mouse that came with the iMac, I think they're called "magic".

No I'm not going back to a keyboard and mouse with cables!!

I don't understand why they didn't put the connector on the end of the mouse away from your arm so you could still use it when it's connected.

Yes of course I can look at the battery level in the menu I was just hoping there was a way to set a warning b'cuz I keep forgetting to do that. So there isn't? I guess I could make a reminder alert every couple weeks or something...

Re: Mouse battery warning

<uj3kt6$1ulpn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17484&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17484

From: news@alrescha.com (Alrescha)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 23:40:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:r/1whnD2PCIKimTZptQyYFWkwPk=
 by: Alrescha - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 23:40 UTC

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> It's definitely an example of asshole design. Whoever was in charge of
> that design decided that it should actively prevent users from using the
> device while connected to power. Wasn't Jony Ives heading up design at
> the time?

Or they took a perfectly good battery-based mouse design and retrofitted a
rechargeable battery into it, leaving everything else pretty much
unchanged.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<krl4utF9iqjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17485&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17485

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 16 Nov 2023 00:10:05 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 00:10 UTC

On 2023-11-15, Connor Shannon <cshannon1898@gmail.com> wrote:
> its the keyboard and mouse that came with the iMac, I think they're
> called "magic".
>
> No I'm not going back to a keyboard and mouse with cables!!
>
> I don't understand why they didn't put the connector on the end of the
> mouse away from your arm so you could still use it when it's
> connected.

Because Jony Ive had a huge stick up his ass and wanted to design it in
such a way that users absolutely could not use it while plugged in. It's
asshole design. Jony won't be missed by many Apple users, I can tell you
that.

> Yes of course I can look at the battery level in the menu I was just
> hoping there was a way to set a warning b'cuz I keep forgetting to do
> that. So there isn't? I guess I could make a reminder alert every
> couple weeks or something...

I haven't used the Magic Mouse in a while, but I do use the Magic
Keyboard daily, and I'm pretty sure I have seen notifications stating
the battery is low when I let it drain to almost empty. I'd be surprised
if that's not the case for the Magic Mouse as well. Also, I recall that
the Magic Mouse lasts like a couple months on a single charge and
actually charges very quickly. So once you do get that notification, a
quick charge of only 5 minutes or so give you enough juice to continue
using it for the rest of your day. Then you can just plug it in to
finish charging up overnight.

JR

Re: Mouse battery warning

<krl54hF9iqjU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17486&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17486

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 16 Nov 2023 00:13:05 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 00:13 UTC

On 2023-11-15, Alrescha <news@alrescha.com> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> It's definitely an example of asshole design. Whoever was in charge
>> of that design decided that it should actively prevent users from
>> using the device while connected to power. Wasn't Jony Ives heading
>> up design at the time?
>
> Or they took a perfectly good battery-based mouse design and
> retrofitted a rechargeable battery into it, leaving everything else
> pretty much unchanged.

No. It's completely redesigned from its predecessor. I own both. The
Magic Mouse 2 runs for months on a single charge, while I typically got
only a week or two out of the Magic Mouse 1 before needing to exchange
the batteries. It's also way more functional with the trackpad surface
than the older model with the scroll ball on top. It's a great mouse
generally except that some asshole at Apple decided nobody should be
able to use it while connected to a cable.

JR

Re: Mouse battery warning

<G0e5N.56184$svP4.10909@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17488&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17488

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:13:09 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 01:13 UTC

On 2023-11-15 16:33, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-11-15, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

>> Having the charging port on the bottom is abjectly bad design.
>
> It's definitely an example of asshole design. Whoever was in charge of
> that design decided that it should actively prevent users from using the
> device while connected to power. Wasn't Jony Ives heading up design at
> the time?

Probably.

But ... not like they haven't had time to fix it - IAC I've never liked
any Apple mouse - but that's me - and generally I prefer trackpads.

When I ordered this iMac (M3) I was delighted that I could forego the
mouse and upgrade to the trackpad for CAD$30. (And keyboard to numeric
for similar shekel shock).

I still have recurring dreams of a nice trackball I used to have...

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<G2e5N.56185$svP4.6507@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17489&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17489

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:15:18 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 01:15 UTC

On 2023-11-15 18:10, Connor Shannon wrote:
> its the keyboard and mouse that came with the iMac, I think they're called "magic".
>
> No I'm not going back to a keyboard and mouse with cables!!
>
> I don't understand why they didn't put the connector on the end of the mouse away from your arm so you could still use it when it's connected.

A design fault that they still haven't recovered from. Still shipping
stupid.

> Yes of course I can look at the battery level in the menu I was just hoping there was a way to set a warning b'cuz I keep forgetting to do that. So there isn't? I guess I could make a reminder alert every couple weeks or something...

Strange. On my Macs I definitely get low battery warnings for all BT
devices whether rechargeable in device or replaceable (AA) batts
(rechargeable or alkaline).

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<r4e5N.56186$svP4.3879@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17490&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17490

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:17:11 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 01:17 UTC

On 2023-11-15 18:40, Alrescha wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> It's definitely an example of asshole design. Whoever was in charge of
>> that design decided that it should actively prevent users from using the
>> device while connected to power. Wasn't Jony Ives heading up design at
>> the time?
>
> Or they took a perfectly good battery-based mouse design and retrofitted a
> rechargeable battery into it, leaving everything else pretty much
> unchanged.

Fine - make it re-chargeable - but since it will need a charge on Friday
afternoon, 48 minutes before the proposal needs to be shipped, put the
f-ing charge port where one can continue working ...

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<krlgp5Fc4tnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17493&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17493

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 16 Nov 2023 03:31:49 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 03:31 UTC

On 2023-11-16, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-11-15 16:33, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-11-15, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>
>>> Having the charging port on the bottom is abjectly bad design.
>>
>> It's definitely an example of asshole design. Whoever was in charge
>> of that design decided that it should actively prevent users from
>> using the device while connected to power. Wasn't Jony Ives heading
>> up design at the time?
>
> Probably.
>
> But ... not like they haven't had time to fix it - IAC I've never
> liked any Apple mouse - but that's me - and generally I prefer
> trackpads.

Personally, I like the touch surface on top of the Mighty Mouse. It
makes it a mouse and trackpad of sorts. But to each, their own. And I do
much prefer Apple's track pads over any mouse, except in some limited
circumstances.

> When I ordered this iMac (M3) I was delighted that I could forego the
> mouse and upgrade to the trackpad for CAD$30. (And keyboard to numeric
> for similar shekel shock).

That's all I ever do anymore. Worth it.

> I still have recurring dreams of a nice trackball I used to have...

Now that I never really got into...

JR

Re: Mouse battery warning

<uj4a64$253ld$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17498&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17498

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 18:43:33 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 05:43 UTC

On 2023-11-15 23:10:38 +0000, Connor Shannon said:

> its the keyboard and mouse that came with the iMac, I think they're
> called "magic".
>
> No I'm not going back to a keyboard and mouse with cables!!
>
> I don't understand why they didn't put the connector on the end of the
> mouse away from your arm so you could still use it when it's connected.

Because then the case doesn't look as good. The port was put underneath
so that you don't see it in normal usage ... one of Apple's many silly
"design over function" decisions over the last few years (especially
after Johnny Ive joined the team and since quit). :-(

> Yes of course I can look at the battery level in the menu I was just
> hoping there was a way to set a warning b'cuz I keep forgetting to do
> that. So there isn't? I guess I could make a reminder alert every
> couple weeks or something...

Re: Mouse battery warning

<uj4a9j$2543c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17499&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17499

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 18:45:23 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 05:45 UTC

On 2023-11-15 23:10:38 +0000, Connor Shannon said:

> its the keyboard and mouse that came with the iMac, I think they're
> called "magic".
>
> No I'm not going back to a keyboard and mouse with cables!!
>
> I don't understand why they didn't put the connector on the end of the
> mouse away from your arm so you could still use it when it's connected.
>
> Yes of course I can look at the battery level in the menu I was just
> hoping there was a way to set a warning b'cuz I keep forgetting to do
> that. So there isn't? I guess I could make a reminder alert every
> couple weeks or something...

Some people have fitted a wireless charging battery into the Magic
Mouse so that it can be continually charged by using a wired charging
mouse mat.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<d7ea9f27-b722-4bc9-95cb-803878be00e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17500&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17500

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 22:37:57 -0800 (PST)
From: cshannon1898@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 06:37 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 9:43:39 PM UTC-8, Your Name wrote:
> On 2023-11-15 23:10:38 +0000, Connor Shannon said:
> >
> > I don't understand why they didn't put the connector on the end of the
> > mouse away from your arm so you could still use it when it's connected.
> Because then the case doesn't look as good. The port was put underneath
> so that you don't see it in normal usage ...

Huh??? Who told you that?? I think you heard them wrong or they were pulling your leg. If the hole was at the other end of the mouse like I said you wouldn't "see it in normal usage" and it would be perfect for connecting the cable!