The clothes have no emperor. -- C. A. R. Hoare, commenting on ADA.

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Mouse battery warning

SubjectAuthor
* Mouse battery warningConnor Shannon
+* Mouse battery warningYour Name
|+* Mouse battery warningJörg_Lorenz
||`* Mouse battery warningYour Name
|| `- Mouse battery warningJörg_Lorenz
|+- Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
|`- Mouse battery warningsuper70s
+* Mouse battery warningJörg_Lorenz
|`- Mouse battery warningJörg_Lorenz
`* Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
 `* Mouse battery warningJoerg Lorenz
  +* Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  |`* Mouse battery warningJolly Roger
  | +* Mouse battery warningConnor Shannon
  | |+- Mouse battery warningJolly Roger
  | |+- Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  | |+* Mouse battery warningYour Name
  | ||`* Mouse battery warningConnor Shannon
  | || `- Mouse battery warningYour Name
  | |`- Mouse battery warningYour Name
  | +* Mouse battery warningAlrescha
  | |+- Mouse battery warningJolly Roger
  | |`- Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  | `* Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  |  `* Mouse battery warningJolly Roger
  |   `* Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  |    `* Mouse battery warningsuper70s
  |     `* Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  |      `* Mouse battery warningJolly Roger
  |       `- Mouse battery warningAlan Browne
  `- Mouse battery warningYour Name

Pages:12
Re: Mouse battery warning

<eAo5N.44509$yvY5.38959@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17502&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17502

Subject: Re: Mouse battery warning
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:13:46 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 13:13 UTC

On 2023-11-15 22:31, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-11-16, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

>>> It's definitely an example of asshole design. Whoever was in charge
>>> of that design decided that it should actively prevent users from
>>> using the device while connected to power. Wasn't Jony Ives heading
>>> up design at the time?
>>
>> Probably.
>>
>> But ... not like they haven't had time to fix it - IAC I've never
>> liked any Apple mouse - but that's me - and generally I prefer
>> trackpads.
>
> Personally, I like the touch surface on top of the Mighty Mouse. It
> makes it a mouse and trackpad of sorts. But to each, their own. And I do
> much prefer Apple's track pads over any mouse, except in some limited
> circumstances.
>
>> When I ordered this iMac (M3) I was delighted that I could forego the
>> mouse and upgrade to the trackpad for CAD$30. (And keyboard to numeric
>> for similar shekel shock).
>
> That's all I ever do anymore. Worth it.
>
>> I still have recurring dreams of a nice trackball I used to have...
>
> Now that I never really got into...

It was actually a Logitech thumb ball - so fingers drove the buttons and
the thumb drove the ball. It had a lot of inertia so felt great and
pointing was super natural. There were no trackpads (at low prices
anyway) then, and so such meant no "maneuvering space" needed to be
reserved on ones desk. Had that for years at work.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<super70s-F21B23.13092716112023@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17505&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17505

From: super70s@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 13:09:27 -0600
 by: super70s - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 19:09 UTC

In article <eAo5N.44509$yvY5.38959@fx10.iad>,
Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

> On 2023-11-15 22:31, Jolly Roger wrote:

> >> Probably.
> >>
> >> But ... not like they haven't had time to fix it - IAC I've never
> >> liked any Apple mouse - but that's me - and generally I prefer
> >> trackpads.
> >
> > Personally, I like the touch surface on top of the Mighty Mouse. It
> > makes it a mouse and trackpad of sorts. But to each, their own. And I do
> > much prefer Apple's track pads over any mouse, except in some limited
> > circumstances.
> >
> >> When I ordered this iMac (M3) I was delighted that I could forego the
> >> mouse and upgrade to the trackpad for CAD$30. (And keyboard to numeric
> >> for similar shekel shock).
> >
> > That's all I ever do anymore. Worth it.
> >
> >> I still have recurring dreams of a nice trackball I used to have...
> >
> > Now that I never really got into...
>
> It was actually a Logitech thumb ball - so fingers drove the buttons and
> the thumb drove the ball. It had a lot of inertia so felt great and
> pointing was super natural. There were no trackpads (at low prices
> anyway) then, and so such meant no "maneuvering space" needed to be
> reserved on ones desk. Had that for years at work.

How much (or how less) "maneuvering space" do people need anyway, I use
one of those "ePad" mouse pads you can buy at discount stores with all
my computers that's 9 inches wide by 10 inches deep (including a wrist
rest). Also keeps the mouse bottom much cleaner than those old hard
surface "Apple logo" mouse pads I used for several years before I said
the hell with the logo.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<uj60nd$2e77d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17507&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17507

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:14:22 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 21:14 UTC

On 2023-11-16 06:37:57 +0000, Connor Shannon said:
> On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 9:43:39 PM UTC-8, Your Name wrote:
>> On 2023-11-15 23:10:38 +0000, Connor Shannon said:
>>>
>>> I don't understand why they didn't put the connector on the end of the
>>> mouse away from your arm so you could still use it when it's connected.
>>
>> Because then the case doesn't look as good. The port was put
>> underneath> so that you don't see it in normal usage ...
>
> Huh??? Who told you that?? I think you heard them wrong or they were
> pulling your leg. If the hole was at the other end of the mouse like I
> said you wouldn't "see it in normal usage" and it would be perfect for
> connecting the cable!

Yes, but Johny "form over function" Ive would know there is an ugly
socket on the end of the mouse, so such a design would never be
allowed, and the same basic mouse design has simply been carried
forward.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<GsS5N.54412$BbXa.21350@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17509&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17509

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 18:13:42 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 23:13 UTC

On 2023-11-16 14:09, super70s wrote:
> In article <eAo5N.44509$yvY5.38959@fx10.iad>,
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>

>> It was actually a Logitech thumb ball - so fingers drove the buttons and
>> the thumb drove the ball. It had a lot of inertia so felt great and
>> pointing was super natural. There were no trackpads (at low prices
>> anyway) then, and so such meant no "maneuvering space" needed to be
>> reserved on ones desk. Had that for years at work.
>
> How much (or how less) "maneuvering space" do people need anyway, I use
> one of those "ePad" mouse pads you can buy at discount stores with all
> my computers that's 9 inches wide by 10 inches deep (including a wrist
> rest).

The entire trackball widget laid under my hand.

This is exactly the one I had (see the PS/2 style connector! sheesh!):
"Logitech Trackman Marble"
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KoYAAOSwCxZkEh7y/s-l1600.jpg

It all stayed in one place, the cable never moved and it was a nice
setup - comfortable and better than any mouse at the time. So is a
trackpad - even if it were wired, at least the wire would stay put.
Wireless it's even better (likewise keyboard).

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Mouse battery warning

<krqb3gFgrfjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17510&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17510

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 17 Nov 2023 23:25:36 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 23:25 UTC

On 2023-11-17, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-11-16 14:09, super70s wrote:
>> In article <eAo5N.44509$yvY5.38959@fx10.iad>,
>> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>

>>> It was actually a Logitech thumb ball - so fingers drove the buttons and
>>> the thumb drove the ball. It had a lot of inertia so felt great and
>>> pointing was super natural. There were no trackpads (at low prices
>>> anyway) then, and so such meant no "maneuvering space" needed to be
>>> reserved on ones desk. Had that for years at work.
>>
>> How much (or how less) "maneuvering space" do people need anyway, I use
>> one of those "ePad" mouse pads you can buy at discount stores with all
>> my computers that's 9 inches wide by 10 inches deep (including a wrist
>> rest).
>
> The entire trackball widget laid under my hand.
>
> This is exactly the one I had (see the PS/2 style connector! sheesh!):
> "Logitech Trackman Marble"
> https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KoYAAOSwCxZkEh7y/s-l1600.jpg
>
> It all stayed in one place, the cable never moved and it was a nice
> setup - comfortable and better than any mouse at the time. So is a
> trackpad - even if it were wired, at least the wire would stay put.
> Wireless it's even better (likewise keyboard).

I've only ever heard them called "trackballs". I've used the model in
the photo above a few times, along with a few others. I never really
liked any of them though. To each his own, and I'll stick with y Magic
Trackpad. 🙂

JR

Re: Mouse battery warning

<MYS5N.42127$_Oab.29713@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17511&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17511

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 18:47:56 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 23:47 UTC

On 2023-11-17 18:25, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-11-17, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> On 2023-11-16 14:09, super70s wrote:

>>> How much (or how less) "maneuvering space" do people need anyway, I use
>>> one of those "ePad" mouse pads you can buy at discount stores with all
>>> my computers that's 9 inches wide by 10 inches deep (including a wrist
>>> rest).
>>
>> The entire trackball widget laid under my hand.
>>
>> This is exactly the one I had (see the PS/2 style connector! sheesh!):
>> "Logitech Trackman Marble"
>> https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KoYAAOSwCxZkEh7y/s-l1600.jpg
>>
>> It all stayed in one place, the cable never moved and it was a nice
>> setup - comfortable and better than any mouse at the time. So is a
>> trackpad - even if it were wired, at least the wire would stay put.
>> Wireless it's even better (likewise keyboard).
>
> I've only ever heard them called "trackballs". I've used the model in
> the photo above a few times, along with a few others. I never really
> liked any of them though. To each his own, and I'll stick with y Magic
> Trackpad. 🙂

Definitely what I've been using at home for the last 13 years (just
looked it up). At work I have a generic mouse connected to the Mini
with a wired Apple numeric keyboard (that will need to be replaced -
some keys are sketchy - it's from 2008)