Biology grows on you.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

SubjectAuthor
* Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
+* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftPeter Johnson
|`- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftBig Al
+* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftZaghadka
|`* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftKen Blake
| `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFrank Slootweg
|  `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftKen Blake
|   +- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
|   +- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFrank Slootweg
|   `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMark Lloyd
|    `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftKen Blake
|     `- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftPaul
+- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFokke Nauta
+* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|+- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoftwasbit
|`* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFrank Slootweg
| +- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftChar Jackson
| +* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| |`* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFrank Slootweg
| | `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| |  +- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
| |  `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFrank Slootweg
| |   `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftPaul
| |    +* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| |    |`- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftPaul
| |    `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
| |     +* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftPaul
| |     |`* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| |     | `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftPaul
| |     |  `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| |     |   `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
| |     |    `- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| |     `- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
|  `- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFrank Slootweg
+* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftJack Grealish
|`- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
`* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftChar Jackson
 `- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS

Pages:12
Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uv9e0t$ergm$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5297&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5297

From: mikes@is.invalid (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:34:53 +0100
 by: MikeS - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 19:34 UTC

The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a Group
Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed it with
current Edge (in Windows 11)?

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<neki1j57ti9la27vb2qmeu56anhhnd50he@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5298&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5298

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:25:18 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:25 UTC

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:34:53 +0100, MikeS <mikes@is.invalid> wrote:

>The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
>although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
>Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a Group
>Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed it with
>current Edge (in Windows 11)?

I've got rid of the rubbish and tolerate/ignore the search box. It's
only visible for seconds before a website obscures it.

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvbulq$2gh50$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5299&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5299

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:31:22 -0400
 by: Big Al - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:31 UTC

On 4/12/24 11:25 AM, Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:34:53 +0100, MikeS <mikes@is.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
>> although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
>> Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a Group
>> Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed it with
>> current Edge (in Windows 11)?
>
> I've got rid of the rubbish and tolerate/ignore the search box. It's
> only visible for seconds before a website obscures it.
All I have is the search and then some recent sites, about 20 but in 2 rows.
There seems to be some toolbar at the bottom I can use if I wished to but don't.

I can tolerate that much. Microsoft Edge Version 123.0.2420.81 in Linux.

I have a, IMHO, great theme. Wood-7 Actually a chrome extension but work of course.
https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/wood-7/ieinhcgomaoikbidgmbhjkcedelgipmi?hl=en
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 5.15.0-102-generic
Al

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<d00j1jh0b792ckuiecp3dhp1kl81vga2c0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5300&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5300

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 13:45:36 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:45 UTC

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:34:53 +0100, MikeS <mikes@is.invalid> wrote:

>The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
>although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
>Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a Group
>Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed it with
>current Edge (in Windows 11)?

Simple three-step process:

1. Run Edge
2. Download and install Firefox
3. Never run Edge again

If you expect Microsoft to allow any workaround to their aggressive
marketing to last for more than a month, you will be sorely disappointed.
They already had a fit about too many people removing the Copilot button,
and tried to put an unremovable sidebar button there, with Copilot in it,
just to remind people that you cannot silence Microsoft's ambitions in
*their* browser.

There is nothing I can tell you that will continue to work. You need to
lose that browser. It is just a MS ad platform.

Othewise, just ignore it or send feedback. Workarounds, tricks, and
registry keys are not an answer.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<vf7l1jdi88u41big64c5c0hfm5icca5sll@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5301&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5301

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 08:03:11 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:03 UTC

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 13:45:36 -0500, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:34:53 +0100, MikeS <mikes@is.invalid> wrote:
>
>>The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
>>although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
>>Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a Group
>>Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed it with
>>current Edge (in Windows 11)?
>
>Simple three-step process:
>
>1. Run Edge
>2. Download and install Firefox
>3. Never run Edge again

I wish I could do that, but I can't. 1 and 2 are fine, but not 3.
Every once in a while I come across a web page that doesn't work in
Firefox, but does work in Edge.

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uveg8u.ndc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5302&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5302

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: 13 Apr 2024 15:44:08 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:44 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 13:45:36 -0500, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:34:53 +0100, MikeS <mikes@is.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >>The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
> >>although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
> >>Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a Group
> >>Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed it with
> >>current Edge (in Windows 11)?
> >
> >Simple three-step process:
> >
> >1. Run Edge
> >2. Download and install Firefox
> >3. Never run Edge again
>
> I wish I could do that, but I can't. 1 and 2 are fine, but not 3.
> Every once in a while I come across a web page that doesn't work in
> Firefox, but does work in Edge.

That's because step 2 should be:

2. Download and install Chrome

:-)

FWIW, Edge is my PDF viewer. That way, it's at least useful for
*something*!

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<1ial1jdonq8g882uj6vc2j8fnecem3hnej@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5303&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5303

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 08:57:45 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:57 UTC

On 13 Apr 2024 15:44:08 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
wrote:

>Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 13:45:36 -0500, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Simple three-step process:
>> >
>> >1. Run Edge
>> >2. Download and install Firefox
>> >3. Never run Edge again
>>
>> I wish I could do that, but I can't. 1 and 2 are fine, but not 3.
>> Every once in a while I come across a web page that doesn't work in
>> Firefox, but does work in Edge.
>
> That's because step 2 should be:
>
>2. Download and install Chrome

Each to his own, of course, but to me, Edge and Chrome are tied for
being the worst of all browsers.

Might the web page that doesn't work in Firefox work in Chrome as well
as in Edge? Sure. But afaic, it doesn't matter; I'll use Edge the few
times it happens. I don't need to have the two worst browsers both
installed.

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvef20$hjd9$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5304&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5304

From: mikes@is.invalid (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:23:13 +0100
 by: MikeS - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:23 UTC

On 13/04/2024 16:57, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2024 15:44:08 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>> I wish I could do that, but I can't. 1 and 2 are fine, but not 3.
>>> Every once in a while I come across a web page that doesn't work in
>>> Firefox, but does work in Edge.
>>
>> That's because step 2 should be:
>>
>> 2. Download and install Chrome
>

> Each to his own, of course, but to me, Edge and Chrome are tied for
> being the worst of all browsers.
>
> Might the web page that doesn't work in Firefox work in Chrome as well
> as in Edge? Sure. But afaic, it doesn't matter; I'll use Edge the few
> times it happens. I don't need to have the two worst browsers both
> installed.

I assume from the replies so far that my searches have not missed a
work-around.

FWIW I also have Firefox installed but much prefer Edge and use it most
of the time. As already said, each to his own.

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uven37.nj8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5305&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5305

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: 13 Apr 2024 17:41:19 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:41 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2024 15:44:08 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> >> I wish I could do that, but I can't. 1 and 2 are fine, but not 3.
> >> Every once in a while I come across a web page that doesn't work in
> >> Firefox, but does work in Edge.
> >
> > That's because step 2 should be:
> >
> >2. Download and install Chrome
>
> Each to his own, of course, but to me, Edge and Chrome are tied for
> being the worst of all browsers.

I know you dislike Chrome, hence the tease (and the smiley, which you
snipped).

> Might the web page that doesn't work in Firefox work in Chrome as well
> as in Edge? Sure. But afaic, it doesn't matter; I'll use Edge the few
> times it happens. I don't need to have the two worst browsers both
> installed.

Neither do I, that's why I don't install Firefox! :-)

But seriously, as you said, to each his own.

I just happened to get 'fast and lean' Chrome before I had Firefox for
a while. At the time, Firefox looked weird and clunky and I didn't (and
don't) like the constant UI changes for no good reason. But I'm sure
you'll be delighted to know that in the very old days I used Netscape
(Navigator) (and Mosaic before that). Some 30+ years on the web!

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<l7vv1mF6jt6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5306&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5306

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 19:51:51 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:51 UTC

On 11/04/2024 21:34, MikeS wrote:
> The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
> although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
> Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a Group
> Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed it with
> current Edge (in Windows 11)?

Why not use Chrome or Firefox?
I don't want to use Edge.

Fokke

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvf5hu$38nil$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5307&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5307

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:47:06 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 23:47 UTC

MikeS wrote on 4/11/24 12:34 PM:
> The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
> although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
> Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a Group
> Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed it with
> current Edge (in Windows 11)?

Correct, the page can't be changed via Edge or its under-hood settings.

It's really not much different than Chrome or Firefox.

By design and default for each:

Firefox
- two choices Blank or Default for New tab page
Blank New Tab opens to a window with the cursor on the address
bar(waiting for an entry), plus pre-defined 'Firefox sponsor' shortcuts
which can be 'dismissed[icon modified to blank icon box)', and an option
to add shortcuts(like Edge and Chrome)
-
Chrome
- New Tab opens to a Google branded windows with the cursor on the
Address bar(waiting for an entry) and the Google Search bar, only
slightly different than google.com.
Chrome new tab has 3 predefined shortcuts(Google.com, Google Web
store, and Add shortcut. New tab opens a Google branded page with the
Google search bar. Additionally the new tab page has a 'Customize Chrome'
option(Appearance, Theme, Show Shortcuts(on/off)

Edge
- new tab opens to a Microsoft branded page with the cursor on the
address bar(waiting for an entry and the Bing search bar and like Chrome
the option to add shortcuts and Customize.

All the above browser when configured to default 'New Tab's open to a
page with the cursor on the adress bar, the ability to add shortcuts, all
with unique or sponsored branding.

i.e. for those replies, that claim 'use Firefox'(which I use periodically
in lieu of Edge, SeaMonkey and Chrome) you're not really gaining much, if
anything at all.
- i.e. akin to picking up a different same size wrench with its
optional adapters, branding on the tool, and the option to do something
with the tool (just like other same size wrenches and there same type
adapters).

As you can see..ask a question that has no solution, especially about a
browser, the digression always leads not solutions to the question, but
what they like or don't like or 'Use/Switch to what I use' - the latter
not because it resolves your issue either.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvfere$134k8$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5308&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5308

From: noreply@noreply.com (Jack Grealish)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 03:20:11 +0100
 by: Jack Grealish - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 02:20 UTC

On 11/04/2024 20:34, MikeS wrote:
> The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
> although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
> Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a
> Group Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed
> it with current Edge (in Windows 11)?

No problems here. You just don't know how Edge works. See this picture
to get the idea:

<https://i.postimg.cc/y6cSQkbG/2024-04-14-03-08-09.png>
<https://i.imgur.com/GDzoM84.png>

I am on "Version 123.0.2420.97 (Official build) (64-bit)"

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<malm1j1putrcq4t8it9us2rr43eln9o8rg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5309&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5309

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 23:05:10 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 04:05 UTC

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:34:53 +0100, MikeS <mikes@is.invalid> wrote:

>The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
>although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
>Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a Group
>Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed it with
>current Edge (in Windows 11)?

If you can tolerate one additional mouse click, go to Edge settings and enable
the Home icon, then add any URL that you'd like. Save your entry. Once you do
that, new tabs will still open to the page that you don't like, but a single
click on the Home icon will get you to where you want to be.

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvg6s6$3ig6a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5310&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5310

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:15:51 +0100
 by: wasbit - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:15 UTC

On 14/04/2024 00:47, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> snip <
>
> i.e. for those replies, that claim 'use Firefox'(which I use
> periodically in lieu of Edge, SeaMonkey and Chrome) you're not really
> gaining much, if anything at all.
>  - i.e. akin to picking up a different same size wrench with its
> optional adapters, branding on the tool, and the option to do something
> with the tool (just like other same size wrenches and there same type
> adapters).

Bad analogy.
Wrenches, what we Brits call spanners but could include socket sets,
come in different qualities eg Chinesium, drop forged, chrome molybdenam
& chrome vanadium. Quality pays when it comes to really stubborn nuts &
bolts.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvgi4e.33o.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5311&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5311

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: 14 Apr 2024 10:28:04 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:28 UTC

....w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
> MikeS wrote on 4/11/24 12:34 PM:
> > The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
> > although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
> > Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a Group
> > Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed it with
> > current Edge (in Windows 11)?
>
> Correct, the page can't be changed via Edge or its under-hood settings.

But Edge says/implies it *can* be changed:

Settings -> Start, home, and new tabs -> When edge opens a new tab ->
* Open this page -> Enter URL -> Save.

But the problem is it doesn't work, at least not for the OP and not
for me.

At the moment I click Save, I get a tiny 'no entry' (white circle with
red border and red line) icon popup for a short while. After the icon is
gone, the box still contains the entered URL, but 1) it doesn't work (a
new tab still shows the 'Microsoft Start' mess) and 2) when returning to
Settings, the entered URL is no longer there.

> It's really not much different than Chrome or Firefox.

You've got to be kidding! I don't know about Firefox (don't use it),
but for Chrome, the "Google branded window" is very lightweight and
much, much less intrusive than all the 'news' mess on the 'Microsoft
Start' page.

FWIW, *I* don't care, because, as I mentioned, I hardly ever use Edge,
but, if this - *changed* - Edge behaviour indeed can not be changed,
then please don't (try to) defend it.

[Rest left for completeness/reference:]

> By design and default for each:
>
> Firefox
> - two choices Blank or Default for New tab page
> Blank New Tab opens to a window with the cursor on the address
> bar(waiting for an entry), plus pre-defined 'Firefox sponsor' shortcuts
> which can be 'dismissed[icon modified to blank icon box)', and an option
> to add shortcuts(like Edge and Chrome)
> -
> Chrome
> - New Tab opens to a Google branded windows with the cursor on the
> Address bar(waiting for an entry) and the Google Search bar, only
> slightly different than google.com.
> Chrome new tab has 3 predefined shortcuts(Google.com, Google Web
> store, and Add shortcut. New tab opens a Google branded page with the
> Google search bar. Additionally the new tab page has a 'Customize Chrome'
> option(Appearance, Theme, Show Shortcuts(on/off)
>
> Edge
> - new tab opens to a Microsoft branded page with the cursor on the
> address bar(waiting for an entry and the Bing search bar and like Chrome
> the option to add shortcuts and Customize.
>
> All the above browser when configured to default 'New Tab's open to a
> page with the cursor on the adress bar, the ability to add shortcuts, all
> with unique or sponsored branding.
>
> i.e. for those replies, that claim 'use Firefox'(which I use periodically
> in lieu of Edge, SeaMonkey and Chrome) you're not really gaining much, if
> anything at all.
> - i.e. akin to picking up a different same size wrench with its
> optional adapters, branding on the tool, and the option to do something
> with the tool (just like other same size wrenches and there same type
> adapters).
>
> As you can see..ask a question that has no solution, especially about a
> browser, the digression always leads not solutions to the question, but
> what they like or don't like or 'Use/Switch to what I use' - the latter
> not because it resolves your issue either.

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<5a0o1jds9lcpu2upopugv8t468993r8geg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5312&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5312

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 11:20:12 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:20 UTC

On 14 Apr 2024 10:28:04 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> MikeS wrote on 4/11/24 12:34 PM:
>> > The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
>> > although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
>> > Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a Group
>> > Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed it with
>> > current Edge (in Windows 11)?
>>
>> Correct, the page can't be changed via Edge or its under-hood settings.
>
> But Edge says/implies it *can* be changed:
>
> Settings -> Start, home, and new tabs -> When edge opens a new tab ->
>* Open this page -> Enter URL -> Save.

Mine doesn't have the option to specify a URL when new tabs are opened.
Version 123.0.2420.97 (Official build) (64-bit)

The only available pref for new tabs is
[Title]
Customize your new tab page layout and content
[Description]
Control your news feed, background image, theme, and more

<uvh24p$3o4d3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5313&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5313

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:01:09 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:01 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote on 4/14/24 3:28 AM:
> ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Correct, the page can't be changed via Edge or its under-hood settings.
>
> But Edge says/implies it *can* be changed:
>
> Settings -> Start, home, and new tabs -> When edge opens a new tab ->
> * Open this page -> Enter URL -> Save.

That's a misinterpretation/misunderstanding of the option(s).
Settings/Start-home-and-new-tabs/When Edge starts has three options
Open the new tab page
Open tabs from previous sessions
Open these pages

==>> Add new page option only applies to the third option 'Open these
pages' sub-category 'Pages'

> But the problem is it doesn't work, at least not for the OP and not
> for me.

See above. Adding a url doesn't apply to 'Open the new tab page'

> At the moment I click Save, I get a tiny 'no entry' (white circle with
> red border and red line) icon popup for a short while. After the icon is
> gone, the box still contains the entered URL, but 1) it doesn't work (a
> new tab still shows the 'Microsoft Start' mess) and 2) when returning to
> Settings, the entered URL is no longer there.
>
>> It's really not much different than Chrome or Firefox.
>
> You've got to be kidding! I don't know about Firefox (don't use it),
> but for Chrome, the "Google branded window" is very lightweight and
> much, much less intrusive than all the 'news' mess on the 'Microsoft
> Start' page.
Customize the New tab page to remove what it allows. Once done, you end
up with a screen with 3 items(Microsoft Start[upper left with icon to
show online Microsoft 365 apps], Microsoft(center, brand), Search
box(that uses the default Edge configured search source - Google, Bing, etc.)
- optionally the search box permits adding a url which loads the url
instead of a search.

For Chrome, as noted you get pretty much the same 3 item/type features
Chrome like Microsoft Start icon) provides(upper right) links for Gmail,
Google images, Search labs, and icon for 30+ Google apps, Google(center,
brand), Search box(search using the default Chrome configured search
source(Google, Bing, etc.) and the option to enter a url.
- the difference, if you change Chrome's default search engine for
Google to another, the new tab window opens the configured search engine page
-

> FWIW, *I* don't care, because, as I mentioned, I hardly ever use Edge,
> but, if this - *changed* - Edge behaviour indeed can not be changed,
> then please don't (try to) defend it.

Not defending it, just pointing out..when you configure your browser of
choice for 'new tab' when understood properly, you end up with much the
same 3 options
An icon for the browser manufacturer's own or supported apps, a brand
name, and a search bar.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvh2bq$idt$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5314&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5314

From: mikes@is.invalid (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:04:59 +0100
 by: MikeS - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:04 UTC

On 14/04/2024 11:28, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> MikeS wrote on 4/11/24 12:34 PM:
>>> The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
>>> although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
>>> Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a Group
>>> Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed it with
>>> current Edge (in Windows 11)?
>>
>> Correct, the page can't be changed via Edge or its under-hood settings.
>
> But Edge says/implies it *can* be changed:
>
> Settings -> Start, home, and new tabs -> When edge opens a new tab ->
> * Open this page -> Enter URL -> Save.
>
> But the problem is it doesn't work, at least not for the OP and not
> for me.
>
> At the moment I click Save, I get a tiny 'no entry' (white circle with
> red border and red line) icon popup for a short while. After the icon is
> gone, the box still contains the entered URL, but 1) it doesn't work (a
> new tab still shows the 'Microsoft Start' mess) and 2) when returning to
> Settings, the entered URL is no longer there.
>
>> It's really not much different than Chrome or Firefox.
>
> You've got to be kidding! I don't know about Firefox (don't use it),
> but for Chrome, the "Google branded window" is very lightweight and
> much, much less intrusive than all the 'news' mess on the 'Microsoft
> Start' page.
> As I said in my OP and has already been pointed out: the Edge new tab
page is easily customised to remove the 'mess' and is then as
lightweight as the "Google branded window".

Not sure what you mean by the 'Microsoft Start' page but the Edge start
page can still be customised to any URL including a local file.

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvh2nc$idt$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5315&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5315

From: mikes@is.invalid (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:11:09 +0100
 by: MikeS - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:11 UTC

On 14/04/2024 03:20, Jack Grealish wrote:
> On 11/04/2024 20:34, MikeS wrote:
>> The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
>> although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
>> Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a
>> Group Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed
>> it with current Edge (in Windows 11)?
>
> No problems here. You just don't know how Edge works. See this picture
> to get the idea:
>
> <https://i.postimg.cc/y6cSQkbG/2024-04-14-03-08-09.png>
> <https://i.imgur.com/GDzoM84.png>
>
> I am on "Version 123.0.2420.97 (Official build) (64-bit)"

I know how Edge works and how to customise its START page which is what
you have described. The issue I asked about is the page that appears
when NEW TAB is selected (eg Ctl T).

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvhf7g.bn8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5316&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5316

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: 14 Apr 2024 18:44:42 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:44 UTC

MikeS <mikes@is.invalid> wrote:
> On 14/04/2024 11:28, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Correct, the page can't be changed via Edge or its under-hood settings.
> >
> > But Edge says/implies it *can* be changed:
> >
> > Settings -> Start, home, and new tabs -> When edge opens a new tab ->
> > * Open this page -> Enter URL -> Save.
> >
> > But the problem is it doesn't work, at least not for the OP and not
> > for me.
> >
> > At the moment I click Save, I get a tiny 'no entry' (white circle with
> > red border and red line) icon popup for a short while. After the icon is
> > gone, the box still contains the entered URL, but 1) it doesn't work (a
> > new tab still shows the 'Microsoft Start' mess) and 2) when returning to
> > Settings, the entered URL is no longer there.
> >
> >> It's really not much different than Chrome or Firefox.
> >
> > You've got to be kidding! I don't know about Firefox (don't use it),
> > but for Chrome, the "Google branded window" is very lightweight and
> > much, much less intrusive than all the 'news' mess on the 'Microsoft
> > Start' page.
>
> As I said in my OP and has already been pointed out: the Edge new tab
> page is easily customised to remove the 'mess' and is then as
> lightweight as the "Google branded window".
>
> Not sure what you mean by the 'Microsoft Start' page but the Edge start
> page can still be customised to any URL including a local file.

I think you misinterpreted my post in a similar way Winston did.

I *am* referring to 'When Edge opens a new tab', i.e *new tab*, *not*
'When Microsoft Edge starts'.

On my system, the 'When Edge opens a new tab' section has a setting
'Open this page: [Enter URL]', i.e. exactly what you want, *but* - as I
described - it doesn't work.

N.B. As to 'Microsoft Start', that's what gets started when I start
Edge (or open a new tab). It apparently is a successor to MSN:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Start>

Apparently the generic/worldwide URL is www.msn.com/feed, but that's
not exactly how I see 'Microsoft Start' in Edge, because the
Edge-started 'Microsoft Start' has a Windows Spotlight like background
(which can be turned off), while the generic URL gives a white
background.

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvhf8v.bn8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5317&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5317

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: 14 Apr 2024 18:45:26 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:45 UTC

....w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
> Frank Slootweg wrote on 4/14/24 3:28 AM:
> > ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Correct, the page can't be changed via Edge or its under-hood settings.
> >
> > But Edge says/implies it *can* be changed:
> >
> > Settings -> Start, home, and new tabs -> When edge opens a new tab ->
> > * Open this page -> Enter URL -> Save.
>
> That's a misinterpretation/misunderstanding of the option(s).
> Settings/Start-home-and-new-tabs/When Edge starts has three options
> Open the new tab page
> Open tabs from previous sessions
> Open these pages
>
> ==>> Add new page option only applies to the third option 'Open these
> pages' sub-category 'Pages'

I'm not talking about 'When Microsoft Edge starts', but - as I said -
about 'When Edge opens a new tab', i.e. the subject of the OP.

For 'When Edge opens a new tab', you can of course only set one page,
but as I mentioned (see quote below), it gives an error icon, doesn't
work and the 'Enter URL' field doesn't stick.

(BTW, for 'When Microsoft Edge starts', 'Open these pages' *does* work.)

> > But the problem is it doesn't work, at least not for the OP and not
> > for me.
>
> See above. Adding a url doesn't apply to 'Open the new tab page'
> >
> > At the moment I click Save, I get a tiny 'no entry' (white circle with
> > red border and red line) icon popup for a short while. After the icon is
> > gone, the box still contains the entered URL, but 1) it doesn't work (a
> > new tab still shows the 'Microsoft Start' mess) and 2) when returning to
> > Settings, the entered URL is no longer there.
> >
> >> It's really not much different than Chrome or Firefox.
> >
> > You've got to be kidding! I don't know about Firefox (don't use it),
> > but for Chrome, the "Google branded window" is very lightweight and
> > much, much less intrusive than all the 'news' mess on the 'Microsoft
> > Start' page.
>
> Customize the New tab page to remove what it allows. Once done, you end
> up with a screen with 3 items(Microsoft Start[upper left with icon to
> show online Microsoft 365 apps], Microsoft(center, brand), Search
> box(that uses the default Edge configured search source - Google, Bing, etc.)
> - optionally the search box permits adding a url which loads the url
> instead of a search.

I finally managed to get what you describe. It took a lot of effort,
because 'Customize' opens a 'Pagina-instellingen' (Page-settings) pane
in Dutch (my domain is .nl), while my Windows and Edge (and everything
else) are in English.

That wouldn't be a problem, if the names/descriptions of the settings
made any sense, but as usual, the Dutch translations are very akward.

Anyway, I got it working, so hopefully your information is of help to
the OP.

- When Edge opens a new tab -> Open this page: [Enter URL] does *not*
work.

- When Edge opens a new tab -> Customise your Microsoft new tab page
layout and content -> [Customise] *does* work.

> For Chrome, as noted you get pretty much the same 3 item/type features
> Chrome like Microsoft Start icon) provides(upper right) links for Gmail,
> Google images, Search labs, and icon for 30+ Google apps, Google(center,
> brand), Search box(search using the default Chrome configured search
> source(Google, Bing, etc.) and the option to enter a url.
> - the difference, if you change Chrome's default search engine for
> Google to another, the new tab window opens the configured search engine page
> -
>
> > FWIW, *I* don't care, because, as I mentioned, I hardly ever use Edge,
> > but, if this - *changed* - Edge behaviour indeed can not be changed,
> > then please don't (try to) defend it.
>
> Not defending it, just pointing out..when you configure your browser of
> choice for 'new tab' when understood properly, you end up with much the
> same 3 options
> An icon for the browser manufacturer's own or supported apps, a brand
> name, and a search bar.

Fair enough.

Any idea *why* When Edge opens a new tab -> Open this page: [Enter
URL] does *not* work? Char mentions he does not have this setting, but
we have the exact same version of Edge ("Version 123.0.2420.97 (Official
build) (64-bit)").

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvhain$3pta3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5318&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5318

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 12:25:08 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 19:25 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote on 4/14/24 11:45 AM:
> [...]
>> Google to another, the new tab window opens the configured search engine page
>> -
>>
>>> FWIW, *I* don't care, because, as I mentioned, I hardly ever use Edge,
>>> but, if this - *changed* - Edge behaviour indeed can not be changed,
>>> then please don't (try to) defend it.
>>
>> Not defending it, just pointing out..when you configure your browser of
>> choice for 'new tab' when understood properly, you end up with much the
>> same 3 options
>> An icon for the browser manufacturer's own or supported apps, a brand
>> name, and a search bar.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> Any idea *why* When Edge opens a new tab -> Open this page: [Enter
> URL] does *not* work? Char mentions he does not have this setting, but
> we have the exact same version of Edge ("Version 123.0.2420.97 (Official

Same as Char.

Can you upload a pic to hosting site to share/show that option.

On this Win11 device for Settings/Start-home-and-new-tabs I have three
main settings
When Edge Starts
Home Button
New Tab page

Edge Starts has three options
Open the new tab page
Open tabs from previous sessions
Open these pageS (pages is plural, which has the option to add one or
more urls)

Home button
New tab page
Box to add a specific url

New tab page
Customer your new tab page layout(layout is the screen with the
features for Content, Background, Quick Links, Custom Theme(Edge's
Appearance settings)
Preload your new tab.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvhfgn$p40$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5319&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5319

From: mikes@is.invalid (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:49:27 +0100
 by: MikeS - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:49 UTC

On 14/04/2024 20:25, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> [...]
>> build) (64-bit)").
>>
> Same as Char.
>
> Can you upload a pic to hosting site to share/show that option.
>
> On this Win11 device for Settings/Start-home-and-new-tabs I have three
> main settings
> When Edge Starts
> Home Button
> New Tab page
>
> Edge Starts has three options
>  Open the new tab page
>  Open tabs from previous sessions
>  Open these pageS (pages is plural, which has the option to add one or
> more urls)
>
> Home button
>  New tab page
>  Box to add a specific url
>
> New tab page
>  Customer your new tab page layout(layout is the screen with the
> features for Content, Background, Quick Links, Custom Theme(Edge's

I have the same Edge version as you and exactly the settings you describe.

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvhgnt$p40$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5320&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5320

From: mikes@is.invalid (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:10:22 +0100
 by: MikeS - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:10 UTC

On 14/04/2024 05:05, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:34:53 +0100, MikeS <mikes@is.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The latest versions of Edge block all attempts to change this page
>> although it can still be customised to show only the Bing search bar.
>> Google searches reveal various extensions to do the job and even a Group
>> Policy Editor setting but none of them work. Has anyone managed it with
>> current Edge (in Windows 11)?
>
> If you can tolerate one additional mouse click, go to Edge settings and enable
> the Home icon, then add any URL that you'd like. Save your entry. Once you do
> that, new tabs will still open to the page that you don't like, but a single
> click on the Home icon will get you to where you want to be.

I have been doing that for years. The URL is the same one I use for the
Edge Start page - a local html file that displays a blank page with
"Edge start page" at the top.

I posed the question because it annoys me that Microsoft lets me set a
URL for the Start page but not for a New Tab. Possibly the former is an
oversight which Microsoft will also block when it notices.

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvjcq2.scg.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5321&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5321

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: 15 Apr 2024 12:17:00 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 12:17 UTC

....w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
> Frank Slootweg wrote on 4/14/24 11:45 AM:
[...]

> > Any idea *why* When Edge opens a new tab -> Open this page: [Enter
> > URL] does *not* work? Char mentions he does not have this setting, but
> > we have the exact same version of Edge ("Version 123.0.2420.97 (Official
> > build) (64-bit)").
>
> Same as Char.
>
> Can you upload a pic to hosting site to share/show that option.

If you can point to a free, no account site, I can try, but let me
first try with ASCII-art.

> On this Win11 device for Settings/Start-home-and-new-tabs I have three
> main settings
> When Edge Starts
> Home Button
> New Tab page
>
> Edge Starts has three options
> Open the new tab page
> Open tabs from previous sessions
> Open these pageS (pages is plural, which has the option to add one or
> more urls)

Same here, but with the extra option (which I asume you (plural) also
have):

"Clear the list and set it to all currently open tabs [Use all open tabs]"

> Home button
> New tab page
> Box to add a specific url
>
> New tab page

Another oddity: You say "New tab page", but my settings say "When Edge
opens a new tab". At first I thought you didn't spell verbatim, but you
did, because in the screenshot which Jack Grealish posted, it also says
"New tab page":

<https://i.postimg.cc/y6cSQkbG/2024-04-14-03-08-09.png>

Now, *before* what follows, I *also* have:

"( ) Open the Microsoft new tab page

( ) Open this page: [Enter URL ] [Save]"

'( )' are circle selections, i.e. one or the other.

When I click on the 'Open this page:' selection, the '[Enter URL]' box
is un-greyed. After entering an URL, the '[Save]' button is un-greyed.

Sofar, so good. But then, when I click on the [Save] button, I get a
'no entry' icon popup for a moment.

Now when I try the changed setting, i.e. click on '+' to create a new
tab, I see the change doesn't work, because the new tab still has the
Microsoft Start content.

And when I go back to the settings page, the '[Enter URL]' box no
longer contains the URL I entered, but the 'Open this page:' selection
is still selected, i.e. it did not default back to the 'Open the
Microsoft new tab page' selection.

> Customer your new tab page layout(layout is the screen with the
> features for Content, Background, Quick Links, Custom Theme(Edge's
> Appearance settings)
> Preload your new tab.

Yes, I have these as well.

tab' section, I *first* have

"( ) Open the Microsoft new tab page

( ) Open this page: [Enter URL ] [Save]"

I don't know why I have this, but Char and you (and Jack) don't.

BTW, in Jack Grealish' screenshot, I can indeed see that your
(your/Char's/Jack's) section says 'New tab page', directly followed by
'Customise your new tab page layout and content.

Only long-shot I can think of: I do not have a Microsoft Account, only
a local account.

I tried running Edge with 'Run as administrator' to get rid of the
'no entry' error icon popup, but that did not make a difference.