Though I'll admit readability suffers slightly... -- Larry Wall in <2969@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

SubjectAuthor
* Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
+* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftPeter Johnson
|`- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftBig Al
+* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftZaghadka
|`* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftKen Blake
| `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFrank Slootweg
|  `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftKen Blake
|   +- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
|   +- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFrank Slootweg
|   `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMark Lloyd
|    `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftKen Blake
|     `- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftPaul
+- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFokke Nauta
+* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|+- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoftwasbit
|`* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFrank Slootweg
| +- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftChar Jackson
| +* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| |`* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFrank Slootweg
| | `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| |  +- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
| |  `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFrank Slootweg
| |   `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftPaul
| |    +* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| |    |`- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftPaul
| |    `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
| |     +* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftPaul
| |     |`* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| |     | `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftPaul
| |     |  `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| |     |   `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
| |     |    `- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| |     `- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| `* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
|  `- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftFrank Slootweg
+* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftJack Grealish
|`- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS
`* Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftChar Jackson
 `- Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than MicrosoftMikeS

Pages:12
Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<WabTN.247433$zF_1.132339@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5322&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5322

Subject: Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
From: not.email@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 09:52:38 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:52 UTC

[snip]

> Each to his own, of course, but to me, Edge and Chrome are tied for
> being the worst of all browsers.

What about Opera?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support." [Fulton
Sheen (1895-1979)]

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<h3iq1j59m00mn7rjq6vkaqll9g0chiu9gs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5323&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5323

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:33:38 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 15:33 UTC

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 09:52:38 -0500, Mark Lloyd <not.email@all.invalid>
wrote:

>[snip]
>
>> Each to his own, of course, but to me, Edge and Chrome are tied for
>> being the worst of all browsers.
>
>What about Opera?

I have too little experience with it to have a real opinion. All I can
remember is that when I tried it, I didn't like it.

>> Might the web page that doesn't work in Firefox work in Chrome as well
>> as in Edge? Sure. But afaic, it doesn't matter; I'll use Edge the few
>> times it happens. I don't need to have the two worst browsers both
>> installed.

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvjnh8$dag0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5324&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5324

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:18:31 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 17:18 UTC

On 4/15/2024 11:33 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 09:52:38 -0500, Mark Lloyd <not.email@all.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Each to his own, of course, but to me, Edge and Chrome are tied for
>>> being the worst of all browsers.
>>
>> What about Opera?
>
> I have too little experience with it to have a real opinion. All I can
> remember is that when I tried it, I didn't like it.

From wiki:

"Opera is a multi-platform web browser developed by its namesake company Opera.
The current edition of the browser is based on Chromium. Opera is available on
Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS (Safari WebKit engine)."

If they use Chromium as an engine, it's a question of how much they
can hide what is underneath.

The rest of the article, is just hilarious.

"The company released a gamer-oriented version of the browser, Opera GX, in 2019,

A blockchain-focused Opera Crypto Browser into public beta in January 2022.

April 2023, adding a new user interface and several AI-related features.
"

I bet it still doesn't have a Menu Bar. Silly me, hamburger in upper-right corner. "Doesn't need Menu"

https://www-static-blogs.operacdn.com/desktop/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2023/05/Welcome-page_2-1536x864.jpg

Paul

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvkmtr$nfn2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5325&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5325

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 22:14:17 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 02:14 UTC

On 4/15/2024 8:17 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Can you upload a pic to hosting site to share/show that option.
>
> If you can point to a free, no account site, I can try, but let me
> first try with ASCII-art.
>
>> On this Win11 device for Settings/Start-home-and-new-tabs I have three
>> main settings
>> When Edge Starts
>> Home Button
>> New Tab page
>>
>> Edge Starts has three options
>> Open the new tab page
>> Open tabs from previous sessions
>> Open these pageS (pages is plural, which has the option to add one or
>> more urls)
>
> Same here, but with the extra option (which I asume you (plural) also
> have):
>
> "Clear the list and set it to all currently open tabs [Use all open tabs]"
>
>> Home button
>> New tab page
>> Box to add a specific url
>>
>> New tab page
>
> Another oddity: You say "New tab page", but my settings say "When Edge
> opens a new tab". At first I thought you didn't spell verbatim, but you
> did, because in the screenshot which Jack Grealish posted, it also says
> "New tab page":
>
> <https://i.postimg.cc/y6cSQkbG/2024-04-14-03-08-09.png>
>
> Now, *before* what follows, I *also* have:
>
> "( ) Open the Microsoft new tab page
>
> ( ) Open this page: [Enter URL ] [Save]"
>
> '( )' are circle selections, i.e. one or the other.
>
> When I click on the 'Open this page:' selection, the '[Enter URL]' box
> is un-greyed. After entering an URL, the '[Save]' button is un-greyed.
>
> Sofar, so good. But then, when I click on the [Save] button, I get a
> 'no entry' icon popup for a moment.
>
> Now when I try the changed setting, i.e. click on '+' to create a new
> tab, I see the change doesn't work, because the new tab still has the
> Microsoft Start content.
>
> And when I go back to the settings page, the '[Enter URL]' box no
> longer contains the URL I entered, but the 'Open this page:' selection
> is still selected, i.e. it did not default back to the 'Open the
> Microsoft new tab page' selection.
>
>> Customer your new tab page layout(layout is the screen with the
>> features for Content, Background, Quick Links, Custom Theme(Edge's
>> Appearance settings)
>> Preload your new tab.
>
> Yes, I have these as well.

> tab' section, I *first* have
>
> "( ) Open the Microsoft new tab page
>
> ( ) Open this page: [Enter URL ] [Save]"
>
> I don't know why I have this, but Char and you (and Jack) don't.
>
> BTW, in Jack Grealish' screenshot, I can indeed see that your
> (your/Char's/Jack's) section says 'New tab page', directly followed by
> 'Customise your new tab page layout and content.
>
> Only long-shot I can think of: I do not have a Microsoft Account, only
> a local account.
>
> I tried running Edge with 'Run as administrator' to get rid of the
> 'no entry' error icon popup, but that did not make a difference.

I used an Extension to chase the problem away.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/7Yvc5v67/msedge-extn-Custom-New-Tab-interface.gif

I think the extensions are most happy with https://a@b.c type references.
I wanted to load edge://system , knowing that there could be lots of
sanitizing steps that would not like this.

One extension caused the new tab to be a "white" page (similar to the olde about:blank).
The second extension causes a dark page to appear, undecorated like the other one.
Because of course, neither tab is going to like an edge:// URI. It all depends on
what interface they are calling, as to how the sanitizing works.

And that means the ntp.msn.com link is pretty well kicked to the curb. Oops.

But we know, every time msedge is installed, details like this will be
"magically lost", so I give this 24 hours tops, before something steamrolls it.

My "Customize" button of course, just took me to a useless "Personalize" for
the ntp.msn.com page. And that does not allow kicking ntp.msn.com to the curb.
I suppose one could use their RPiHole, and put the run to ntp.msn.com.

Paul

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvl777$qfaj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5327&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5327

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 23:52:20 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 06:52 UTC

Paul wrote on 4/15/24 7:14 PM:
> And that means the ntp.msn.com link is pretty well kicked to the curb. Oops.
>
> But we know, every time msedge is installed, details like this will be
> "magically lost", so I give this 24 hours tops, before something steamrolls it.
>
> My "Customize" button of course, just took me to a useless "Personalize" for
> the ntp.msn.com page. And that does not allow kicking ntp.msn.com to the curb.
> I suppose one could use their RPiHole, and put the run to ntp.msn.com.
>
> Paul

Just in case other's are wondering about 'ntp.msn.com' means/is

A full url for 'New Tab'page with all Edge Cr available New Tab customize
options unselected might be similar in Win11 ***when using Edge CR'

<https://ntp.msn.com/edge/ntp?locale=en&title=New%20tab&dsp=0&sp=Google&PC=ACTS>

Note: The link will not work, afiak, in Chrome, FF, etc.<bother browsers>.

Open Edge Cr, and paste the above link.
- At this end, the link works and eventually yields the current
configured Edge options for the New Tab page(my Customize New Tab
settings for Content, Background, Quick Links are all disabled)

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvlbt7$rg17$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5328&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5328

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 04:12:21 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:12 UTC

On 4/16/2024 2:52 AM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:

> Just in case other's are wondering about 'ntp.msn.com' means/is
>
> A full url for 'New Tab'page with all Edge Cr available New Tab customize options unselected might be similar in Win11 ***when using Edge CR'
>
> <https://ntp.msn.com/edge/ntp?locale=en&title=New%20tab&dsp=0&sp=Google&PC=ACTS>
>
> Note: The link will not work, afiak, in Chrome, FF, etc.<bother browsers>.
>
> Open Edge Cr, and paste the above link.
>  - At this end, the link works and eventually yields the current configured Edge options for the New Tab page(my Customize New Tab settings for Content, Background, Quick Links are all disabled)

Well, I recognize the business case that is driving this.

When start pages first came out, there wasn't nearly the
same fascination with advertising revenue.

Having the infinitely-long yahoo-news-like thing on just the
first page of the browser, would have covered any interest
the user might have had. Having it on every newtab, is a bit
overkill.

Paul

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvmm35$3jv8$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5329&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5329

From: mikes@is.invalid (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:12:22 +0100
 by: MikeS - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 20:12 UTC

On 16/04/2024 03:14, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>>> features for Content, Background, Quick Links, Custom Theme(Edge's
>>> Appearance settings)
>>> Preload your new tab.
>>
>> Yes, I have these as well.

>> tab' section, I *first* have
>>
>> "( ) Open the Microsoft new tab page
>>
>> ( ) Open this page: [Enter URL ] [Save]"
>>
>> I don't know why I have this, but Char and you (and Jack) don't.
>>
>> BTW, in Jack Grealish' screenshot, I can indeed see that your
>> (your/Char's/Jack's) section says 'New tab page', directly followed by
>> 'Customise your new tab page layout and content.
>>
>> Only long-shot I can think of: I do not have a Microsoft Account, only
>> a local account.
>>
>> I tried running Edge with 'Run as administrator' to get rid of the
>> 'no entry' error icon popup, but that did not make a difference.
>>

> I used an Extension to chase the problem away.

Which extension(s) did you get to work?

I tried two downloaded from the Microsoft website:
Custom New Tab
Custom New Tab URL

Both install but cannot be activated:
To help protect your browser settings, Microsoft Edge has
turned off the "Custom New Tab Page" extension.
This extension will change your new tab page settings.
How do I turn on this extension?
The last line is a link which takes you round in circles.

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvms90$15qhr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5330&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5330

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:57:51 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:57 UTC

On 4/16/2024 4:12 PM, MikeS wrote:

> Which extension(s) did you get to work?
>
> I tried two downloaded from the Microsoft website:
> Custom New Tab
> Custom New Tab URL
>
> Both install but cannot be activated:
>   To help protect your browser settings, Microsoft Edge has
>   turned off the "Custom New Tab Page" extension.
>   This extension will change your new tab page settings.
>   How do I turn on this extension?
> The last line is a link which takes you round in circles.

I tested both.

Both arrived "turned off for your safety" but the
control allowed them to be turned on. It's so thoughtful
of them to think of my safety, in this way.

The controls on this software are voluminous. I'd have
to shoot desktop video, if I wanted to capture every
essence of the foolishness. And you know exactly why
they make it this complicated. It's not an accident
it is a GUI-fail.

I've been around and around in circles so many times,
I'm dizzy.

OK, try the "developer mode" button. Maybe that's the enabler.
That's if you can even find this dialog.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/kMttRdvd/MSEdge-dizzy-extension-mode.gif

Use the URL bar string, if you run out of ideas for fast access.
This is the second one, that has URL at the end of the title-string.

edge://extensions/?id=oeibmbobgpgnbnlbaffdgebpeepfbnhi

Paul

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvn08j$16kkb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5331&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5331

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 16:05:51 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 23:05 UTC

MikeS wrote on 4/16/24 1:12 PM:
> On 16/04/2024 03:14, Paul wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>>    If you can point to a free, no account site, I can try, but let me
>>> first try with ASCII-art.

>>>    Same here, but with the extra option (which I asume you (plural) also
>>> have):
>>>
>>> "Clear the list and set it to all currently open tabs    [Use all open
>>> tabs]"

>>>    Another oddity: You say "New tab page", but my settings say "When Edge
>>> opens a new tab". At first I thought you didn't spell verbatim, but you
>>> did, because in the screenshot which Jack Grealish posted, it also says
>>> "New tab page":
>>>
>>> <https://i.postimg.cc/y6cSQkbG/2024-04-14-03-08-09.png>
>>>
>>>    Now, *before* what follows, I *also* have:
>>>
>>> "( ) Open the Microsoft new tab page
>>>
>>>   ( ) Open this page: [Enter URL            ] [Save]"
>>>
>>>    '( )' are circle selections, i.e. one or the other.
>>>
>>>    When I click on the 'Open this page:' selection, the '[Enter URL]' box
>>> is un-greyed. After entering an URL, the '[Save]' button is un-greyed.
>>>
>>>    Sofar, so good. But then, when I click on the [Save] button, I get a
>>> 'no entry' icon popup for a moment.
>>>
>>>    Now when I try the changed setting, i.e. click on '+' to create a new
>>> tab, I see the change doesn't work, because the new tab still has the
>>> Microsoft Start content.
>>>
>>>    And when I go back to the settings page, the '[Enter URL]' box no
>>> longer contains the URL I entered, but the 'Open this page:' selection
>>> is still selected, i.e. it did not default back to the 'Open the
>>> Microsoft new tab page' selection.

>>>    Yes, I have these as well.

>>> tab' section, I *first* have
>>>
>>> "( ) Open the Microsoft new tab page
>>>
>>>   ( ) Open this page: [Enter URL            ] [Save]"
>>>
>>>    I don't know why I have this, but Char and you (and Jack) don't.
>>>    BTW, in Jack Grealish' screenshot, I can indeed see that your
>>> (your/Char's/Jack's) section says 'New tab page', directly followed by
>>> 'Customise your new tab page layout and content.
>>>
>>>    Only long-shot I can think of: I do not have a Microsoft Account, only
>>> a local account.
>>>
>>>    I tried running Edge with 'Run as administrator' to get  rid of the
>>> 'no entry' error icon popup, but that did not make a difference.
>>>

>> I used an Extension to chase the problem away.
>>
>>     [Picture]
>>

>> https://i.postimg.cc/7Yvc5v67/msedge-extn-Custom-New-Tab-interface.gif
>>
> Which extension(s) did you get to work?
>
> I tried two downloaded from the Microsoft website:
> Custom New Tab
> Custom New Tab URL
>
> Both install but cannot be activated:
>   To help protect your browser settings, Microsoft Edge has
>   turned off the "Custom New Tab Page" extension.
>   This extension will change your new tab page settings.
>   How do I turn on this extension?
> The last line is a link which takes you round in circles.

A few comments before the the reply.
1. An extension on the MSFT website
<https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/Microsoft-Edge-Extensions-Home>
=> Does not indicate MSFT supports or sponsors the use of the
extension. It does mean the developer(author) met the coding
requirements(princiiple, policy, security, etc.) to allow it to be hosted
on the site.
2. Microsoft is not responsible for an extension to function or not
function upon use or the lack of functionalist due to Edge CR(past,
current, or future) updates.

Custom New Tab
- Extension is the only(sole) extension submitted for use by its
author to the Microsoft Edge Extension web site
- Custom New Tab does work when setup properly in Edge
=> to turn on the extension, access Edge's 'quick menu icon' - three
dots upper right, select Extensions/Manage extensions. Or optionally
configure Edge's toolbar to always show the Extensions icon - click the
toolbar Extension icon, select Manage extensions. Once done, scroll to
the extension and toggle it on.
- this extension supports a url entry. The entered url can beu https://
or http:// or even edge://newtab (i.e. apparently no choice, option for
local stored html file). If a url is not set in the extension, the new
tab page will open to the extension's settings 'Setup' page with the
option to add a url(i.e. not a blank page but the 'Extension's' *Setup*
page will be your *New Tab* page.

****If you desire a blank page then use edge://newtab as the url****

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvn1kp$16s8p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5332&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5332

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 16:29:28 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 23:29 UTC

Paul wrote on 4/16/24 2:57 PM:
> On 4/16/2024 4:12 PM, MikeS wrote:
>
>> Which extension(s) did you get to work?
>>
>> I tried two downloaded from the Microsoft website:
>> Custom New Tab
>> Custom New Tab URL
>>
>> Both install but cannot be activated:
>>   To help protect your browser settings, Microsoft Edge has
>>   turned off the "Custom New Tab Page" extension.
>>   This extension will change your new tab page settings.
>>   How do I turn on this extension?
>> The last line is a link which takes you round in circles.
>>

> I tested both.
>
> Both arrived "turned off for your safety" but the
> control allowed them to be turned on. It's so thoughtful
> of them to think of my safety, in this way.
>
> The controls on this software are voluminous. I'd have
> to shoot desktop video, if I wanted to capture every
> essence of the foolishness. And you know exactly why
> they make it this complicated. It's not an accident
> it is a GUI-fail.
>
> I've been around and around in circles so many times,
> I'm dizzy.
>
> OK, try the "developer mode" button. Maybe that's the enabler.
> That's if you can even find this dialog.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/kMttRdvd/MSEdge-dizzy-extension-mode.gif
>
> Use the URL bar string, if you run out of ideas for fast access.
> This is the second one, that has URL at the end of the title-string.
>
> edge://extensions/?id=oeibmbobgpgnbnlbaffdgebpeepfbnhi
>
> Paul

Are you slipping? Too many circle on the merry-go-round? :)
No need to access the Developer tab or use of that suggested 'url bar
string'
Fyi...that icon, adjacent, right to the one circled in you pic is the
'Extension icon' It is present when an extension(any single or more) is
enabled in Edge; it can also be configured to be present when no
extension is enabled(see my reply to Mike S.)

For a blank 'New tab' page for the Custom New Tab extension, just use:
edge://newtab

Lol...feel free(like others will probably do) to complain why MSFT didn't
just make edge://new tab as an option!!!

In the meantime, about your pic - I'm suprised you didn't do, like most
others(even me) completely turn off Edge's 'Sidebar' <gdr>

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvndau$1ck9l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5333&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5333

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 22:49:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 02:49 UTC

On 4/16/2024 7:29 PM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> Paul wrote on 4/16/24 2:57 PM:
>> On 4/16/2024 4:12 PM, MikeS wrote:
>>
>>> Which extension(s) did you get to work?
>>>
>>> I tried two downloaded from the Microsoft website:
>>> Custom New Tab
>>> Custom New Tab URL
>>>
>>> Both install but cannot be activated:
>>>    To help protect your browser settings, Microsoft Edge has
>>>    turned off the "Custom New Tab Page" extension.
>>>    This extension will change your new tab page settings.
>>>    How do I turn on this extension?
>>> The last line is a link which takes you round in circles.
>>>

>> I tested both.
>>
>> Both arrived "turned off for your safety" but the
>> control allowed them to be turned on. It's so thoughtful
>> of them to think of my safety, in this way.
>>
>> The controls on this software are voluminous. I'd have
>> to shoot desktop video, if I wanted to capture every
>> essence of the foolishness. And you know exactly why
>> they make it this complicated. It's not an accident
>> it is a GUI-fail.
>>
>> I've been around and around in circles so many times,
>> I'm dizzy.
>>
>> OK, try the "developer mode" button. Maybe that's the enabler.
>> That's if you can even find this dialog.
>>
>>     [Picture]
>>
>>      https://i.postimg.cc/kMttRdvd/MSEdge-dizzy-extension-mode.gif
>>
>> Use the URL bar string, if you run out of ideas for fast access.
>> This is the second one, that has URL at the end of the title-string.
>>
>>     edge://extensions/?id=oeibmbobgpgnbnlbaffdgebpeepfbnhi
>>
>>    Paul
>>
> Are you slipping? Too many circle on the merry-go-round? :)
>  No need to access the Developer tab or use of that suggested 'url bar string'
>  Fyi...that icon, adjacent, right to the one circled in you pic is the 'Extension icon'  It is present when an extension(any single or more) is enabled in Edge; it can also be configured to be present when no extension is enabled(see my reply to Mike S.)
>
> For a blank 'New tab' page for the Custom New Tab extension, just use:
>  edge://newtab
>
> Lol...feel free(like others will probably do) to complain why MSFT didn't just make edge://new tab as an option!!!
>
> In the meantime, about your pic - I'm suprised you didn't do, like most others(even me) completely turn off Edge's 'Sidebar' <gdr>

If his icon is *disabled*, he won't have an icon, right ?

Remember, merry-gore-round.

As long as that particular Extension is in "installed" state, that
URL should teleport him to an important page.

Of the two extensions, the first extension did not
have an icon. Not at all. The second one did. Now,
is it something I did, is it the extension design,
is it an A/B test ?

There's really no way to be sure with this software.
Maybe the setting will change or disappear at midnight.

*******

As for my picture, remember, I violated one of my rules
regarding experiments. This activity for which you have
a picture, that should have been done in a VM. I'm not
supposed to do that in my daily driver. The daily driver
leaves stuff turned on for "reference photos". The idea
is, my setup should look like the audience setup. If I carved
up my screen like Arlen, you wouldn't even know what OS
you were looking at.

One other point about the Extensions in question. If
you remove them, the ntp.microsoft.com page goes back
into place. It doesn't just leave the setting where
ever it was written.

Paul

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvo74u$1hiif$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5334&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5334

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 03:09:32 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 10:09 UTC

Paul wrote on 4/16/24 7:49 PM:
> On 4/16/2024 7:29 PM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> Paul wrote on 4/16/24 2:57 PM:

>>> I tested both.
>>>
>>> Both arrived "turned off for your safety" but the
>>> control allowed them to be turned on. It's so thoughtful
>>> of them to think of my safety, in this way.
>>>
>>> The controls on this software are voluminous. I'd have
>>> to shoot desktop video, if I wanted to capture every
>>> essence of the foolishness. And you know exactly why
>>> they make it this complicated. It's not an accident
>>> it is a GUI-fail.
>>>
>>> I've been around and around in circles so many times,
>>> I'm dizzy.
>>>
>>> OK, try the "developer mode" button. Maybe that's the enabler.
>>> That's if you can even find this dialog.
>>>
>>>     [Picture]
>>>
>>>      https://i.postimg.cc/kMttRdvd/MSEdge-dizzy-extension-mode.gif
>>>
>>> Use the URL bar string, if you run out of ideas for fast access.
>>> This is the second one, that has URL at the end of the title-string.
>>>
>>>     edge://extensions/?id=oeibmbobgpgnbnlbaffdgebpeepfbnhi
>>>
>>>    Paul
>>>
>> Are you slipping? Too many circle on the merry-go-round? :)
>>  No need to access the Developer tab or use of that suggested 'url bar string'
>>  Fyi...that icon, adjacent, right to the one circled in you pic is the 'Extension icon'  It is present when an extension(any single or more) is enabled in Edge; it can also be configured to be present when no extension is enabled(see my reply to Mike S.)
>>
>> For a blank 'New tab' page for the Custom New Tab extension, just use:
>>  edge://newtab
>>
>> Lol...feel free(like others will probably do) to complain why MSFT didn't just make edge://new tab as an option!!!
>>
>> In the meantime, about your pic - I'm suprised you didn't do, like most others(even me) completely turn off Edge's 'Sidebar' <gdr>
>>

> If his icon is *disabled*, he won't have an icon, right ?
>
> Remember, merry-gore-round.

Yes, correct.
But afaics, the merry-go-round syndrome is present in just about
software/hardware settings, documentation.
Edge's Toolbar configuration(including Extension icon) is an Appearance
item. For clarity/accuracy in nomenclature - those icons on the Toolbar
are called 'buttons'
- Edge/Settings/Appearance/Customize Toolbar/..
=> too many to itemize, but of note, the same place to toggle on the
Home, Favorites, History, Downloads, IE Mode, Sidebar button(s).

> As long as that particular Extension is in "installed" state, that
> URL should teleport him to an important page.
>
> Of the two extensions, the first extension did not
> have an icon. Not at all. The second one did. Now,
> is it something I did, is it the extension design,
> is it an A/B test ?

Custom New Tab icon/button{looks like a folder with a wrench} can be
added to the toolbar.
Click the Extensions button(the one you toggled on in Appearance!), click
the 3 dots for the Custom New tab, click show on Toolbar.

> One other point about the Extensions in question. If
> you remove them, the ntp.microsoft.com page goes back
> into place. It doesn't just leave the setting where
> ever it was written.

I noticed that, even though it was my expectation.
- similar to other Edge(and other browser extensions)..which I've
described in the past - extensions are like an intruder hijack and
overriding code/control, dispatch the intruder then control returns.
- Could be one of the reasons I don't use or recommend extensions.

Finally, you may notice that if the Custom New Url button is enabled on
the Edge Toolbar, clicking on that button while visiting a web site shows
a notice => 'Custom New Tab want's access to this site'
=> maybe something for the tin-foil hat wearing users to debate!

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvpc6v$1dgcc$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5335&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5335

From: mikes@invalid.net (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:42:08 +0100
 by: MikeS - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:42 UTC

On 17/04/2024 11:09, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> Paul wrote on 4/16/24 7:49 PM:

>>> Are you slipping? Too many circle on the merry-go-round? :)
>>>   No need to access the Developer tab or use of that suggested 'url
>>> bar string'
>>>   Fyi...that icon, adjacent, right to the one circled in you pic is
>>> the 'Extension icon'  It is present when an extension(any single or
>>> more) is enabled in Edge; it can also be configured to be present
>>> when no extension is enabled(see my reply to Mike S.)
>>>
>>> For a blank 'New tab' page for the Custom New Tab extension, just use:
>>>   edge://newtab
>>>
>>> Lol...feel free(like others will probably do) to complain why MSFT
>>> didn't just make edge://new tab as an option!!!
>>>
>>> In the meantime, about your pic - I'm suprised you didn't do, like
>>> most others(even me) completely turn off Edge's 'Sidebar' <gdr>
>>>

>> If his icon is *disabled*, he won't have an icon, right ?
>>
>> Remember, merry-gore-round.
>
> Yes, correct.
> But afaics, the merry-go-round syndrome is present in just about
> software/hardware settings, documentation.
> Edge's Toolbar configuration(including Extension icon) is an Appearance
> item. For clarity/accuracy in nomenclature - those icons on the Toolbar
> are called 'buttons'
>  - Edge/Settings/Appearance/Customize Toolbar/..
>  => too many to itemize, but of note, the same place to toggle on the
> Home, Favorites, History, Downloads, IE Mode, Sidebar button(s).
>>
>> As long as that particular Extension is in "installed" state, that
>> URL should teleport him to an important page.
>>
>> Of the two extensions, the first extension did not
>> have an icon. Not at all. The second one did. Now,
>> is it something I did, is it the extension design,
>> is it an A/B test ?
>
> Custom New Tab icon/button{looks like a folder with a wrench} can be
> added to the toolbar.
> Click the Extensions button(the one you toggled on in Appearance!),
> click the 3 dots for the Custom New tab, click show on Toolbar.
>>

>> One other point about the Extensions in question. If
>> you remove them, the ntp.microsoft.com page goes back
>> into place. It doesn't just leave the setting where
>> ever it was written.
>
> I noticed that, even though it was my expectation.
>  - similar to other Edge(and other browser extensions)..which I've
> described in the past - extensions are like an intruder hijack and
> overriding code/control, dispatch the intruder then control returns.
>  - Could be one of the reasons I don't use or recommend extensions.
>
> Finally, you may notice that if the Custom New Url button is enabled on
> the Edge Toolbar, clicking on that button while visiting a web site
> shows a notice => 'Custom New Tab want's access to this site'
>  => maybe something for the tin-foil hat wearing users to debate!

Gentlemen, your discussion has lost me but I (Google) seem to have found
the reason for my failure to activate those extensions:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_prevent_installing_extensions_in_microsoft_edge.html

It seems that setting was enabled. I turned it off and Custom New Tab
URL is now working OK (with a blank page as suggested by winston).

Thanks for your help.

Re: Change Edge new tab page to something other than Microsoft

<uvr2pi$28e55$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5336&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5336

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 05:13:36 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:13 UTC

MikeS wrote on 4/17/24 1:42 PM:
> On 17/04/2024 11:09, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> Paul wrote on 4/16/24 7:49 PM:

>>> If his icon is *disabled*, he won't have an icon, right ?
>>>
>>> Remember, merry-gore-round.
>>
>> Yes, correct.
>> But afaics, the merry-go-round syndrome is present in just about
>> software/hardware settings, documentation.
>> Edge's Toolbar configuration(including Extension icon) is an Appearance
>> item. For clarity/accuracy in nomenclature - those icons on the Toolbar
>> are called 'buttons'
>>   - Edge/Settings/Appearance/Customize Toolbar/..
>>   => too many to itemize, but of note, the same place to toggle on the
>> Home, Favorites, History, Downloads, IE Mode, Sidebar button(s).
>>>
>>> As long as that particular Extension is in "installed" state, that
>>> URL should teleport him to an important page.
>>>
>>> Of the two extensions, the first extension did not
>>> have an icon. Not at all. The second one did. Now,
>>> is it something I did, is it the extension design,
>>> is it an A/B test ?
>>
>> Custom New Tab icon/button{looks like a folder with a wrench} can be
>> added to the toolbar.
>> Click the Extensions button(the one you toggled on in Appearance!),
>> click the 3 dots for the Custom New tab, click show on Toolbar.
>>>

>>> One other point about the Extensions in question. If
>>> you remove them, the ntp.microsoft.com page goes back
>>> into place. It doesn't just leave the setting where
>>> ever it was written.
>>
>> I noticed that, even though it was my expectation.
>>   - similar to other Edge(and other browser extensions)..which I've
>> described in the past - extensions are like an intruder hijack and
>> overriding code/control, dispatch the intruder then control returns.
>>   - Could be one of the reasons I don't use or recommend extensions.
>>
>> Finally, you may notice that if the Custom New Url button is enabled on
>> the Edge Toolbar, clicking on that button while visiting a web site
>> shows a notice => 'Custom New Tab want's access to this site'
>>   => maybe something for the tin-foil hat wearing users to debate!
>>
> Gentlemen, your discussion has lost me but I (Google) seem to have found
> the reason for my failure to activate those extensions:
> https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_prevent_installing_extensions_in_microsoft_edge.html
>

> It seems that setting was enabled. I turned it off and Custom New Tab URL
> is now working OK (with a blank page as suggested by winston).
>
> Thanks for your help.

Good news!!!

Did you mean, the GPO setting for 'Allow Extensions' was set to *Disabled'

If so, that's the Bravo-Tango buried treasure missing info.

- That GPO setting -Allow Extensions' by design and default in Windows
10 and 11 is *Not Configured' which allows extensions
- Enabled under 'Allow Extensions does exactly the same 'allow extensions'

Thus if the setting was 'Disabled', the result would be 'Disallow Extensions'
- the only way for that setting to be set contrary to the default(Not
Configured), is end-user manual intervention.

--