Counting in binary is just like counting in decimal -- if you are all thumbs. -- Glaser and Way

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / My writing is invisible.

SubjectAuthor
* My writing is invisible.micky
+* My writing is invisible.VanguardLH
|+* My writing is invisible.The Real Bev
||+* My writing is invisible.Ed Cryer
|||`- My writing is invisible.The Horny Goat
||`- My writing is invisible.micky
|+* My writing is invisible.Andy Burns
||`- My writing is invisible.micky
|`* My writing is invisible.micky
| `* My writing is invisible.VanguardLH
|  `* My writing is invisible.micky
|   +* My writing is invisible.VanguardLH
|   |`* My writing is invisible.micky
|   | `- Blacken add-on, very good but maybe not good on Automatic Was: My writing is inmicky
|   `* My writing is invisible.Carlos E.R.
|    +* My writing is invisible.micky
|    |+- My writing is invisible.Ken Blake
|    |`- My writing is invisible.The Horny Goat
|    `- My writing is invisible.The Horny Goat
+- My writing is invisible.Paul
+* My writing is invisible.Chris
|`- My writing is invisible.micky
`* My writing is invisible.Ken Blake
 `* My writing is invisible.micky
  +* My writing is invisible.Ken Blake
  |`- My writing is invisible.micky
  `* My writing is invisible.micky
   `* My writing is invisible.The Real Bev
    `- My writing is invisible.micky

Pages:12
My writing is invisible.

<mo29cit8plg552cdcqeagtcnessmga7gid@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73398&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73398

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: My writing is invisible.
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 00:03:29 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 04:03 UTC

Very interesting phenomenon. Maybe I can get rid of it by restarting FF
or Win, but for now it's worth noting.

NextDoor used to work normally for me, but today, when I type, it's
invisible. Unless I misspell something, in which case it's invisible
but underlined in red. I can see what I wrote by using the left mouse
key to sweep the text and highlight what I wrote. I can edit it by
memorizing what change I want to make, how many letters to delete, etc,
and placing the cursor in the right place, at which time the text
disappears again.

I can edit much more easily by writing the whole thing somewhere else
and pasting it into NextDoor.

But how is this happening?

Are there settings for NextDoor or FF that will make what I write
invisible?

(I did crash FF and when I restarted it worked correctly again. I was
going to try to write on the WaPo page but didn't have the chance. )

Re: My writing is invisible.

<c6s43fjt5jo9.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73399&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73399

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: My writing is invisible.
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 23:22:12 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 04:22 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> Very interesting phenomenon. Maybe I can get rid of it by restarting FF
> or Win, but for now it's worth noting.
>
> NextDoor used to work normally for me, but today, when I type, it's
> invisible. Unless I misspell something, in which case it's invisible
> but underlined in red. I can see what I wrote by using the left mouse
> key to sweep the text and highlight what I wrote. I can edit it by
> memorizing what change I want to make, how many letters to delete, etc,
> and placing the cursor in the right place, at which time the text
> disappears again.
>
> I can edit much more easily by writing the whole thing somewhere else
> and pasting it into NextDoor.
>
> But how is this happening?
>
> Are there settings for NextDoor or FF that will make what I write
> invisible?
>
> (I did crash FF and when I restarted it worked correctly again. I was
> going to try to write on the WaPo page but didn't have the chance. )

Is Nextdoor a web site, add-on to Firefox, some program, or what? Don't
expect everyone to know what that is. I heard of a Nextdoor web site
that has something to do with neighborhood events and info, because my
aunt mentioned using it, but I'm guessing the web site is what you're
asking about.

If you're talking about nextdoor.com, on what page is text invisible?
That site requires a login, and I won't be creating an account to see
what you see. The home page has a wall mural as a background image, and
a login form. I use uBlock Origin add-on to Firefox, an ad/content
blocker. It blocked 17 resources, and 5 domains on its blacklists, yet
the home page looks okay to me. Are you running an adblocker? What
happens when you disable all add-ons, and revisit the page? Tried
refreshing Firefox to get a fresh profile devoid of all tweaks you made
in config settings and in about:config along with no add-ons?

Foreground and background color might be the same, so no contrast to
show text on the background. What happens when you hightlight the
invisible text?

Re: My writing is invisible.

<ua2464$2hqu8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73400&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73400

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 00:22:27 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 04:22 UTC

On 7/29/2023 12:03 AM, micky wrote:
> Very interesting phenomenon. Maybe I can get rid of it by restarting FF
> or Win, but for now it's worth noting.
>
> NextDoor used to work normally for me, but today, when I type, it's
> invisible. Unless I misspell something, in which case it's invisible
> but underlined in red. I can see what I wrote by using the left mouse
> key to sweep the text and highlight what I wrote. I can edit it by
> memorizing what change I want to make, how many letters to delete, etc,
> and placing the cursor in the right place, at which time the text
> disappears again.
>
> I can edit much more easily by writing the whole thing somewhere else
> and pasting it into NextDoor.
>
> But how is this happening?
>
> Are there settings for NextDoor or FF that will make what I write
> invisible?
>
> (I did crash FF and when I restarted it worked correctly again. I was
> going to try to write on the WaPo page but didn't have the chance. )

Another petty little empire ? Say it isn't so.

"Next Door Social Network has dropped Seamonkey Support

Post by sunclad » July 4th, 2023, 11:11 am
Windows 10, 22H2
Seamonkey 2.53.16"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nextdoor

All that really matters, is the advertising.

*******

Is this a theme setting of some sort ? Reversal of
text, could be some dark theme choice interacting
with your fun.

Paul

Re: My writing is invisible.

<ua29ve$2i9kq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73401&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73401

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 23:01:16 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 06:01 UTC

On 7/28/23 9:22 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Very interesting phenomenon. Maybe I can get rid of it by restarting FF
>> or Win, but for now it's worth noting.
>>
>> NextDoor used to work normally for me, but today, when I type, it's
>> invisible. Unless I misspell something, in which case it's invisible
>> but underlined in red. I can see what I wrote by using the left mouse
>> key to sweep the text and highlight what I wrote. I can edit it by
>> memorizing what change I want to make, how many letters to delete, etc,
>> and placing the cursor in the right place, at which time the text
>> disappears again.
>>
>> I can edit much more easily by writing the whole thing somewhere else
>> and pasting it into NextDoor.
>>
>> But how is this happening?
>>
>> Are there settings for NextDoor or FF that will make what I write
>> invisible?
>>
>> (I did crash FF and when I restarted it worked correctly again. I was
>> going to try to write on the WaPo page but didn't have the chance. )
>
> Is Nextdoor a web site, add-on to Firefox, some program, or what? Don't
> expect everyone to know what that is. I heard of a Nextdoor web site
> that has something to do with neighborhood events and info, because my
> aunt mentioned using it, but I'm guessing the web site is what you're
> asking about.

Exactly. It's like Facebook, but worse. Usenet people have been more
or less technologically sophisticated for a long time; NextDoor people
just fell off the turnip truck. It's kind of a revelation about the
people in your neighborhood. A lot of good people with good intentions
and a lot of good people with good intentions and not much common sense.
Worth looking at if you have a high tolerance for disorganization.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Windows Freedom Day: a holiday that moves each year, the date of which

Re: My writing is invisible.

<ua2it2$2ivqf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73402&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73402

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 09:33:13 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 08:33 UTC

The Real Bev wrote:

> Exactly.  It's like Facebook, but worse.  Usenet people have been more
> or less technologically sophisticated for a long time;  NextDoor people
> just fell off the turnip truck.  It's kind of a revelation about the
> people in your neighborhood.  A lot of good people with good intentions
> and a lot of good people with good intentions and not much common sense.
>  Worth looking at if you have a high tolerance for disorganization.

It's also a unique insight into the private lives of cats.
My local Nexdoor is crammed with "Have you seen this cat? Search all
sheds and garages". And then someone will say "Oh yeah, it turned up at
my back door, I let it in, and now it won't leave".
Ed

Re: My writing is invisible.

<kik5puF60klU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73403&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73403

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 10:51:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 09:51 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> Foreground and background color might be the same, so no contrast to
> show text on the background. What happens when you hightlight the
> invisible text?

ctrl-A to select all is a quick way to try that ...

Re: My writing is invisible.

<ua368f$2kpjk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73405&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73405

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:03:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:km+tfzOSprj92xkzu4F1CVsL7Uw=
 by: Chris - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:03 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> Very interesting phenomenon. Maybe I can get rid of it by restarting FF
> or Win, but for now it's worth noting.
>
> NextDoor used to work normally for me, but today, when I type, it's
> invisible. Unless I misspell something, in which case it's invisible
> but underlined in red. I can see what I wrote by using the left mouse
> key to sweep the text and highlight what I wrote. I can edit it by
> memorizing what change I want to make, how many letters to delete, etc,
> and placing the cursor in the right place, at which time the text
> disappears again.
>
> I can edit much more easily by writing the whole thing somewhere else
> and pasting it into NextDoor.
>
> But how is this happening?
>
> Are there settings for NextDoor or FF that will make what I write
> invisible?

It's not invisible it's just that the font colour has changed to match the
background. More than likely a temporary bug.

If your desktop is in "dark mode" that sometimes confuses some apps.

Re: My writing is invisible.

<gfbaci9hcmi6t63lcdg62iqnnoc4sfqk7b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73406&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73406

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 08:19:42 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:19 UTC

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 00:03:29 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>Very interesting phenomenon.

Read here: https://www.espsciencetime.org/InvisibleWriting.aspx <G>

Re: My writing is invisible.

<cjlacidatati6152al8r5mbo9i31ni0sgm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73407&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73407

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:12:36 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:12 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 10:51:58 +0100, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Foreground and background color might be the same, so no contrast to
>> show text on the background. What happens when you hightlight the
>> invisible text?
>
>ctrl-A to select all is a quick way to try that ...

Good point. I knew that, I've used that, and I managed to forget it.

Re: My writing is invisible.

<5llaci5e1beamn9ejpiour2ej8keblsf1k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73408&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73408

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:14:05 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:14 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:03:59 -0000 (UTC),
Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> Very interesting phenomenon. Maybe I can get rid of it by restarting FF
>> or Win, but for now it's worth noting.
>>
>> NextDoor used to work normally for me, but today, when I type, it's
>> invisible. Unless I misspell something, in which case it's invisible
>> but underlined in red. I can see what I wrote by using the left mouse
>> key to sweep the text and highlight what I wrote. I can edit it by
>> memorizing what change I want to make, how many letters to delete, etc,
>> and placing the cursor in the right place, at which time the text
>> disappears again.
>>
>> I can edit much more easily by writing the whole thing somewhere else
>> and pasting it into NextDoor.
>>
>> But how is this happening?
>>
>> Are there settings for NextDoor or FF that will make what I write
>> invisible?
>
>It's not invisible it's just that the font colour has changed to match the
>background. More than likely a temporary bug.
>
>If your desktop is in "dark mode" that sometimes confuses some apps.

I don't use dark mode. I use windows as it comes out of the box.

Nothing else on the screen has changed. Even NextDoor looks like it
usually does.

Re: My writing is invisible.

<vnlacit8g25spivpte2rh3r0erlgqq095k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73409&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73409

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:15:01 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:15 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 08:19:42 -0700, Ken
Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 00:03:29 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Very interesting phenomenon.
>

>Read here: https://www.espsciencetime.org/InvisibleWriting.aspx <G>

I guess I just have to do the reversse.

But after FF crashed Nextdoor was back to normal.

Re: My writing is invisible.

<iqlaci5chj7b8isid7pvajt7to1bjr1hfr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73410&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73410

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:17:24 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:17 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Fri, 28 Jul 2023 23:22:12 -0500,
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Very interesting phenomenon. Maybe I can get rid of it by restarting FF
>> or Win, but for now it's worth noting.
>>
>> NextDoor used to work normally for me, but today, when I type, it's
>> invisible. Unless I misspell something, in which case it's invisible
>> but underlined in red. I can see what I wrote by using the left mouse
>> key to sweep the text and highlight what I wrote. I can edit it by
>> memorizing what change I want to make, how many letters to delete, etc,
>> and placing the cursor in the right place, at which time the text
>> disappears again.
>>
>> I can edit much more easily by writing the whole thing somewhere else
>> and pasting it into NextDoor.
>>
>> But how is this happening?
>>
>> Are there settings for NextDoor or FF that will make what I write
>> invisible?
>>
>> (I did crash FF and when I restarted it worked correctly again. I was
>> going to try to write on the WaPo page but didn't have the chance. )
>
>Is Nextdoor a web site, add-on to Firefox, some program, or what? Don't
>expect everyone to know what that is. I heard of a Nextdoor web site
>that has something to do with neighborhood events and info, because my
>aunt mentioned using it, but I'm guessing the web site is what you're
>asking about.
>
>If you're talking about nextdoor.com, on what page is text invisible?

Yes, nextdoor.com. On the discussion pages where one person replies to
someone else's post.

>That site requires a login, and I won't be creating an account to see

I don't blame you. I don't think was happening to anyone else anyhow,
because no one said anything.

>what you see. The home page has a wall mural as a background image, and
>a login form. I use uBlock Origin add-on to Firefox, an ad/content
>blocker. It blocked 17 resources, and 5 domains on its blacklists, yet
>the home page looks okay to me. Are you running an adblocker? What
>happens when you disable all add-ons, and revisit the page? Tried
>refreshing Firefox to get a fresh profile devoid of all tweaks you made
>in config settings and in about:config along with no add-ons?
>
>Foreground and background color might be the same, so no contrast to
>show text on the background. What happens when you hightlight the
>invisible text?

As I said, that lets me see it. But it's still strange.

Re: My writing is invisible.

<4ulaci1kl9smqcgjojs4u21kc8h0a89tqi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73411&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73411

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:20:26 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:20 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Fri, 28 Jul 2023 23:01:16 -0700, The
Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Is Nextdoor a web site, add-on to Firefox, some program, or what? Don't
>> expect everyone to know what that is. I heard of a Nextdoor web site
>> that has something to do with neighborhood events and info, because my
>> aunt mentioned using it, but I'm guessing the web site is what you're
>> asking about.
>
>Exactly. It's like Facebook, but worse. Usenet people have been more
>or less technologically sophisticated for a long time; NextDoor people
>just fell off the turnip truck. It's kind of a revelation about the
>people in your neighborhood. A lot of good people with good intentions
>and a lot of good people with good intentions and not much common sense.
> Worth looking at if you have a high tolerance for disorganization.

There are quite a few threads of value, but there is also a lot of
whining that we have too many gas stations, too many ministorages, not
enough haute cuisine.

It's software is terrible too. It takes longer to load than anything
else, and it shows no comments until you click, then it shows the last
one. If you want to see the first comment out of 100 you might have to
click and wait 8 times. IN that regard it's like Facebook but worse.
I'd be ashamed to admit I was affiliated with ND.

Re: My writing is invisible.

<t6macipk09cov876cnt5d229rss5bml2h5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73412&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73412

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 11:24:17 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:24 UTC

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:15:01 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 08:19:42 -0700, Ken
>Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 00:03:29 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Very interesting phenomenon.
>>

>>Read here: https://www.espsciencetime.org/InvisibleWriting.aspx <G>
>
>I guess I just have to do the reversse.
>
>But after FF crashed Nextdoor was back to normal.

That's standard practice: whenever you're having a problem in a
program, close it and restart it. That should always be your first
step. It doesn't fix every problem, but it often does.

Re: My writing is invisible.

<ufuacitggfiqbo8o89srbu1rol6itgrs0q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73413&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73413

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 16:44:28 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 20:44 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 11:24:17 -0700, Ken Blake
<Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:15:01 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 08:19:42 -0700, Ken
>>Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>>Read here: https://www.espsciencetime.org/InvisibleWriting.aspx <G>
>>
>>I guess I just have to do the reversse.
>>
>>But after FF crashed Nextdoor was back to normal.
>

>That's standard practice: whenever you're having a problem in a
>program, close it and restart it. That should always be your first
>step. It doesn't fix every problem, but it often does.

Yes. This time it was as important to ask how it could happen as to
make it go away.

Re: My writing is invisible.

<1m46dcazpr0l3.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73414&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73414

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 16:35:02 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 21:35 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> On the discussion pages where one person replies to someone else's
> post.

You sure that site doesn't deliberately allow hiding of text? I know
some game sites where posters are supposed to hide content that would
expose how to do something. They don't want casual perusal to provide
cheats. There'll be a discussion on an FM (fan mission), but certain
content is supposed to be hidden. As I recall, usually the hidden text
looks like a black block; i.e., the content has been redacted or
censored. Nothing special needs to be done at these censored sites
other than just highlight the redacted text.

[VanguardLH] Foreground and background color might be the same, so no
contrast to show text on the background. What happens when you
hightlight the invisible text?

> As I said, that lets me see it. But it's still strange.

Other suggestions mention using a dark theme in the web browser.
Besides dark theme, perhaps you chose some other theming in the web
browser that interferes with that site.

Did highlighting the text make it visible?

Re: My writing is invisible.

<hdlbcid53kuf52tibs3qk9palf3e9i6da1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73415&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73415

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:20:22 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 03:20 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 16:35:02 -0500,
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> On the discussion pages where one person replies to someone else's
>> post.
>
>You sure that site doesn't deliberately allow hiding of text? I know

I'm sure. After I post/submit/comment it, it shows.

>some game sites where posters are supposed to hide content that would
>expose how to do something. They don't want casual perusal to provide
>cheats. There'll be a discussion on an FM (fan mission), but certain

There is no point to people posting in a discussion group if others
can't read their words (as stupid as they often are!)

>content is supposed to be hidden. As I recall, usually the hidden text
>looks like a black block; i.e., the content has been redacted or
>censored. Nothing special needs to be done at these censored sites
>other than just highlight the redacted text.
>
>[VanguardLH] Foreground and background color might be the same, so no
>contrast to show text on the background. What happens when you
>hightlight the invisible text?

Then I can read it. I think I mentioned this.

>> As I said, that lets me see it. But it's still strange.
>
>Other suggestions mention using a dark theme in the web browser.
>Besides dark theme, perhaps you chose some other theming in the web
>browser that interferes with that site.

I have no themes. I have been offered no themes.

>Did highlighting the text make it visible?

Yes.

As I said, after FF crashed, the problem went awaay, BUT IT'S BACK.

MAYBE IT'S NATURES WAY OF TELLING ME TO STOP SPENDING SO MUCH TIME ON
NEXTDOOR.

Re: My writing is invisible.

<14bpr3z2x7m7x$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73416&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73416

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:33:16 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 03:33 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> As I said, after FF crashed, the problem went awaay, BUT IT'S BACK.

Did you disable all the add-ons you installed into Firefox, reload
Firefox, and retest the site?

Re: My writing is invisible.

<5u2ecil7ctm4dip0e9ae6p02k33agccsqs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73417&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73417

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 22:11:26 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 02:11 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:33:16 -0500,
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> As I said, after FF crashed, the problem went awaay, BUT IT'S BACK.
>
>Did you disable all the add-ons you installed into Firefox, reload
>Firefox, and retest the site?

YOU GET 3 POINTS FOR THIS.

I hadn't but I looked at my add-ons. Blacken has been installed for
about a year without ever giving me this problem. It was sometimes
listed in a warning that it was slowing down the system, but not this.

It has 4.6 stars on 25 reviews by 256 users. Like many add-ons, it's
not well explained. It has 4 options, original, manual, blacken, and
whiten. I don't know what whiten does and if manual does Blacken, then
what does blacken do? Regardless, clicking on manual made the text show
up. I will write the author and let him know.

"It seems to be fashionable these days to use faded text on many web
sites. Some sites are so faded that they are unreadable***. This
extension will change the colour of grey text back to black so that it
is easier to read. [It's supposed to be on all the time and work
automatically.]
Allow automatic updates Default", but I don't know when the last
update was. .... January 6, so that doesn't account for why it suddenly
started doign this. Maybe Nextdoor changed.

*** ABSOLUTELY

Re: My writing is invisible.

<1mhkpjxtc7.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73418&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73418

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:14:41 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:14 UTC

On 2023-07-30 05:20, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 16:35:02 -0500,
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On the discussion pages where one person replies to someone else's
>>> post.
>>
>> You sure that site doesn't deliberately allow hiding of text? I know
>
> I'm sure. After I post/submit/comment it, it shows.
>
>> some game sites where posters are supposed to hide content that would
>> expose how to do something. They don't want casual perusal to provide
>> cheats. There'll be a discussion on an FM (fan mission), but certain
>
> There is no point to people posting in a discussion group if others
> can't read their words (as stupid as they often are!)

Yes, there is.

When a person is reading or perusing idly, they might hit and read by
accident a cheat on a game, or a movie spoiler. For example, a site on
movies may be reporting on a movie, and at some point say "here go
spoilers". Well, that part can be hidden. A click should reveal it. Or
highlight with the mouse.

Long ago, it was common to hide parts of messages in Fidonet by using
ROT13 encoding. A reader such as Golded had a key to encode/decode that
trivially.

I read that you found the problem, coming from an addon. It may be not
the fault of the addon, but an interaction between that webpage and the
addon. Just report the issue to them.

One commerce I use sends emails in such faded text since recently, it is
hard to read, and I have good sight. I complained, many of their clients
are aged.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Blacken add-on, very good but maybe not good on Automatic Was: My writing is invisible.

<vjrfcihg50rrn639ceol6838665vr3saev@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73419&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73419

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Blacken add-on, very good but maybe not good on Automatic Was: My writing is invisible.
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:32:48 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 17:32 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sun, 30 Jul 2023 22:11:26 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:33:16 -0500,
>VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As I said, after FF crashed, the problem went awaay, BUT IT'S BACK.
>>
>>Did you disable all the add-ons you installed into Firefox, reload
>>Firefox, and retest the site?
>
>YOU GET 3 POINTS FOR THIS.
>
>I hadn't but I looked at my add-ons. Blacken has been installed for
>about a year without ever giving me this problem. It was sometimes
>listed in a warning that it was slowing down the system, but not this.
>
>It has 4.6 stars on 25 reviews by 256 users. Like many add-ons, it's
>not well explained. It has 4 options, original, manual, blacken, and
>whiten. I don't know what whiten does and if manual does Blacken, then
>what does blacken do? Regardless, clicking on manual made the text show
>up. I will write the author and let him know.
>
>"It seems to be fashionable these days to use faded text on many web
>sites. Some sites are so faded that they are unreadable***. This
>extension will change the colour of grey text back to black so that it
>is easier to read. [It's supposed to be on all the time and work
>automatically.]
>Allow automatic updates Default", but I don't know when the last
>update was. .... January 6, so that doesn't account for why it suddenly
>started doign this. Maybe Nextdoor changed.
>
>*** ABSOLUTELY

The author of Blacken replied to my review and sent me an email copy
within 10 hours of my review. He replied to each part of the review:

"Unfortunately since the add-on was written, pages have become a lot
more complicated and it is harder to keep up.

If the page has been messed up by the add-on the Original button will
restore it.

The Manual button is for when you aren't using Automatic mode. It either
blackens or whitens the text. But it may get it wrong since it requires
estimating the background colour of the text. This has become much more
difficult these days. The Blacken button is supposed to unconditionally
blacken the text, and White unconditionally whiten the text. If it
doesn't then there is a bug."

So I may turn off the Automatic setting and just do blacken manually
when I can't read the page. And I realize that whiten is, I think, for
those occasions when I've used Ctrl-A to reverse the colors. Whiten will
I think only affect the text and may work better.

I heartily endorse Blacken for Firefox. Don't use Automatic mode and it
won't cause any problems, but you'll be able to convert grey text to
black.

Re: My writing is invisible.

<vmsfcid10ocj41m5pqtma7gpf6fi22917h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73420&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73420

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:54:04 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 17:54 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:14:41 +0200, "Carlos
E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>> There is no point to people posting in a discussion group if others
>> can't read their words (as stupid as they often are!)
>
>Yes, there is.
>
>When a person is reading or perusing idly, they might hit and read by
>accident a cheat on a game, or a movie spoiler. For example, a site on
>movies may be reporting on a movie, and at some point say "here go
>spoilers". Well, that part can be hidden. A click should reveal it. Or
>highlight with the mouse.
>
>Long ago, it was common to hide parts of messages in Fidonet by using
>ROT13 encoding. A reader such as Golded had a key to encode/decode that
>trivially.

Good points. How about if I change it to "There is no point to people
posting in a discussion group if others can never read any of their
words". I guess even that is not true, because typing angry words can
let off some anger.

Maybe that's how you and I can get rich. We can build a new website,
maybe call it AngryChat, and posters can complain as much as they want,
use vulgar language, slander people, etc. but no one will be able to
read anything they've written, so no harm done. But posters will be
less angry after they post. No charge, much cheaper than a therapist.

We'd make our money selling advertising.

>I read that you found the problem, coming from an addon. It may be not
>the fault of the addon, but an interaction between that webpage and the
>addon. Just report the issue to them.

I did. He wrote back within 10 hours. I guess I will turn off Automatic.

>One commerce I use sends emails in such faded text since recently, it is
>hard to read, and I have good sight. I complained, many of their clients
>are aged.

The author or one of the reviewers also mentions age.

I'm 76 but I don't think it's my age that prevents me from reading dark
grey on black. Or red on dark red. What is wrong with those webpage
writers that they do that? I think Blacken will work with dark red on
red, but red on dark red would turn into black on dark red. Not easy to
read either. And maybe he only changes grey. I'll find out when I
come across another of those dang pages. Or maybe it's a trend that is
now ending. That would be good for everyone.

>--
>Cheers, Carlos.

Re: My writing is invisible.

<d2dgcipl0nakvp9ob1jv1ub4igful9vk9b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73421&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73421

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:23:55 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 22:23 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:54:04 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:14:41 +0200, "Carlos
>E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>

>>> There is no point to people posting in a discussion group if others
>>> can't read their words (as stupid as they often are!)
>>
>>Yes, there is.
>>
>>When a person is reading or perusing idly, they might hit and read by
>>accident a cheat on a game, or a movie spoiler. For example, a site on
>>movies may be reporting on a movie, and at some point say "here go
>>spoilers". Well, that part can be hidden. A click should reveal it. Or
>>highlight with the mouse.
>>
>>Long ago, it was common to hide parts of messages in Fidonet by using
>>ROT13 encoding. A reader such as Golded had a key to encode/decode that
>>trivially.
>
>Good points. How about if I change it to "There is no point to people
>posting in a discussion group if others can never read any of their
>words". I guess even that is not true, because typing angry words can
>let off some anger.
>
>Maybe that's how you and I can get rich. We can build a new website,
>maybe call it AngryChat,

Argument Clinic?

>and posters can complain as much as they want,

Complaint Department?

>use vulgar language, slander people, etc. but no one will be able to
>read anything they've written, so no harm done. But posters will be
>less angry after they post. No charge, much cheaper than a therapist.
>
>We'd make our money selling advertising.
>
>>I read that you found the problem, coming from an addon. It may be not
>>the fault of the addon, but an interaction between that webpage and the
>>addon. Just report the issue to them.
>
>I did. He wrote back within 10 hours. I guess I will turn off Automatic.
>>
>>One commerce I use sends emails in such faded text since recently, it is
>>hard to read, and I have good sight. I complained, many of their clients
>>are aged.
>
>The author or one of the reviewers also mentions age.
>
>I'm 76 but I don't think it's my age that prevents me from reading dark
>grey on black. Or red on dark red. What is wrong with those webpage
>writers that they do that? I think Blacken will work with dark red on
>red, but red on dark red would turn into black on dark red. Not easy to
>read either. And maybe he only changes grey. I'll find out when I
>come across another of those dang pages. Or maybe it's a trend that is
>now ending. That would be good for everyone.
>

>>--
>>Cheers, Carlos.

Re: My writing is invisible.

<tq2idilfm7h1uaub67lhpttcr9h6vgra8b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73646&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73646

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 12:58:36 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 16:58 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:15:01 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 08:19:42 -0700, Ken
>Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 00:03:29 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Very interesting phenomenon.
>>

>>Read here: https://www.espsciencetime.org/InvisibleWriting.aspx <G>
>
>I guess I just have to do the reversse.
>
>But after FF crashed Nextdoor was back to normal.

I disabled Blacken, but it's still making my writing to nextdoor
invisible. A couple other pages, when I check round checkboxes, they
don't appear to be checked. This is going to be an ongoing problem.

Re: My writing is invisible.

<ubb58b$1toi8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=73647&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73647

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 10:52:09 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 17:52 UTC

On 8/13/23 9:58 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:15:01 -0400, micky
> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>>In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sat, 29 Jul 2023 08:19:42 -0700, Ken
>>Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>>Read here: https://www.espsciencetime.org/InvisibleWriting.aspx <G>
>>
>>I guess I just have to do the reversse.
>>
>>But after FF crashed Nextdoor was back to normal.

.... for extremely low values of 'normal'

> I disabled Blacken, but it's still making my writing to nextdoor
> invisible. A couple other pages, when I check round checkboxes, they
> don't appear to be checked. This is going to be an ongoing problem.

FWIW, Nextdoor is flakey in every possible way. Sometimes when I'm
editing a post the cursor appears (and functions) in the line above the
one I'm editing, which causes a real nuisance if I don't notice but just
type normally as if it were working properly.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles because they sometimes