"I don't think so," said Ren'e Descartes. Just then, he vanished.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Remote access to PC

SubjectAuthor
* Remote access to PCBill
+* Remote access to PCBig Al
|`* Remote access to PCGraham J
| +- Remote access to PCBig Al
| +* Remote access to PCFrank Slootweg
| |`* Remote access to PCGraham J
| | `- Remote access to PCFrank Slootweg
| `* Remote access to PCChar Jackson
|  `* Remote access to PCGraham J
|   +* Remote access to PCAndy Burns
|   |`- Remote access to PCChar Jackson
|   `- Remote access to PCChar Jackson
+* Remote access to PCAndy Burns
|+* Remote access to PCCarlos E. R.
||+- Remote access to PCAndy Burns
||`* Remote access to PCGraham J
|| `* Remote access to PCCarlos E. R.
||  `- Remote access to PCGraham J
|`- Remote access to PC...winston
+- Remote access to PCJim Dell
+- Remote access to PCKen Blake
+- Remote access to PCFokke Nauta
+* Remote access to PCPaul
|`* Remote access to PCPaul
| `- Remote access to PCPaul
+* Remote access to PCBill
|`- Remote access to PCGraham J
`* Remote access to PCTPayne
 `* Remote access to PCGraham J
  +- Remote access to PCFrank Slootweg
  `- Remote access to PCTPayne

Pages:12
Remote access to PC

<hsLQM.176038$_Lv6.144674@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74325&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74325

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Subject: Remote access to PC
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 21:21:16 -0400
 by: Bill - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 01:21 UTC

I have Windows Version 10, Pro., and a friend has Windows Version 10,
Home. My friend wishes for me to connect and control her PC remotely,
through the GUI, for a short period of time.

From what I've read, "Windows Remote Desktop" would make it easy for my
friends computer to control mine (based on our operating systems), but
that's not what we need (wrong direction).

Can anyone recommend some decent free software that will help me do what
I described at the top (ease of use is a big plus)?

Thank you for your guidance!

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf00j2$2ose0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74326&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74326

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Remote access to PC
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 21:30:07 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 01:30 UTC

On 9/26/23 21:21, this is what Bill wrote:
> I have Windows Version 10, Pro., and a friend has Windows Version 10, Home.  My friend wishes for me to connect and
> control her PC remotely, through the GUI, for a short period of time.
>
> From what I've read, "Windows Remote Desktop" would make it easy for my
> friends computer to control mine (based on our operating systems), but that's not what we need (wrong direction).
>
> Can anyone recommend some decent free software that will help me do what I described at the top (ease of use is a big
> plus)?
>
> Thank you for your guidance!
TeamViewer works great for me. You can connect to a remote PC, and you can both see that pc's screen.
I've used it many time to see what a user is complaining about and show them how to fix it etc. A picture is worth a
1000 words.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Remote access to PC

<knhkcsFomu4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74327&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74327

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 04:03:57 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 03:03 UTC

Bill wrote:

> I have Windows Version 10, Pro., and a friend has Windows Version 10,
> Home.  My friend wishes for me to connect and control her PC remotely

Far a solution where neither of you have to install any extra software,
there is Quick Assist built-in to Win10.

You both type Win+Ctrl+Q to start it.

You (as the helper) will need to click "help someone" and sign-in to a
microsoft account, it will generate a code and display it to you.

She (as the person to be helped) doesn't need a microsoft account, she
just needs to click "get help"

You have to tell her the code, she has to type it in, then she has to
click to "accept" the remote session, at which point you can see, but
not control her screen.

If you click "request control" it will prompt her to allow that, then
you can control her PC, if you do anything that requires admin access on
her computer, you cannot enter the password, she must do it.

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf0nh7$3063i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74335&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74335

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 09:01:34 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 08:01 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> On 9/26/23 21:21, this is what Bill wrote:
>> I have Windows Version 10, Pro., and a friend has Windows Version 10,
>> Home.  My friend wishes for me to connect and control her PC remotely,
>> through the GUI, for a short period of time.
>>
>>  From what I've read, "Windows Remote Desktop" would make it easy for my
>> friends computer to control mine (based on our operating systems), but
>> that's not what we need (wrong direction).
>>
>> Can anyone recommend some decent free software that will help me do
>> what I described at the top (ease of use is a big plus)?
>>
>> Thank you for your guidance!
> TeamViewer works great for me.  You can connect to a remote PC, and you
> can both see that pc's screen.
> I've used it many time to see what a user is complaining about and show
> them how to fix it etc.  A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Except that the person who needs help will not be able to download and
install Teamviewer - if they could do that for themselves they would not
need help! So go visit your friend and install Teamviewer for her. If
you take your laptop also you can demonstrate it working.

Problem with Teamviewer is that it is forever updating itself, so a few
weeks down the line when your friend really needs help she will be
expected to download and install the update to Teamviewer first - which
may well be beyond her.

Windows Remote Desktop only works on the "Pro" version of Windows - but
your friend has "Home". It relies on a network connection between the
two PCs - typically they would be in the same room or office. But it
will work where the network is implemented using a LAN-to-LAN VPN - but
this has to be implemented using the routers at each end of the
connection. But with the right routers and a LAN-to-LAN VPN you could
also use VNC - see:

https://www.tightvnc.com/

.... and this will work with Windows Home (and screen sharing on a Mac)

--
Graham J

Re: Remote access to PC

<knicfdFs6o1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74337&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74337

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 11:54:53 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 09:54 UTC

On 2023-09-27 05:03, Andy Burns wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> I have Windows Version 10, Pro., and a friend has Windows Version 10,
>> Home.  My friend wishes for me to connect and control her PC remotely
>
> Far a solution where neither of you have to install any extra software,
> there is Quick Assist built-in to Win10.
>
> You both type Win+Ctrl+Q to start it.
>
> You (as the helper) will need to click "help someone" and sign-in to a
> microsoft account, it will generate a code and display it to you.
>
> She (as the person to be helped) doesn't need a microsoft account, she
> just needs to click "get help"
>
> You have to tell her the code, she has to type it in, then she has to
> click to "accept" the remote session, at which point you can see, but
> not control her screen.
>
> If you click "request control" it will prompt her to allow that, then
> you can control her PC, if you do anything that requires admin access on
> her computer, you cannot enter the password, she must do it.

This one is news to me. Interesting.

Does it work across different operating systems? (Team Viewer does).

Unfortunately, many times my help is requested is because "it doesn't
allow me to login".

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Remote access to PC

<knidupFs95kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74338&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74338

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 11:20:10 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 10:20 UTC

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> For a solution where neither of you have to install any extra
>> software, there is Quick Assist
>> You both type Win+Ctrl+Q to start it.
>
> Does it work across different operating systems?
Only Win10 and Win11.

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf15kh$32l5f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74340&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74340

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:02:15 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:02 UTC

Carlos E. R. wrote:

[snip]

> Unfortunately, many times my help is requested is because "it doesn't
> allow me to login".

If you prepare in advance with the appropriate routers and a LAN-to-LAN
VPN, and Wake-On-LAN, you can invoke Wake-On-LAN from the remote router
and the PC will start by itself (not if it uses WiFi, obviously!). This
does take some skill to set up and may require BIOS access to configure
the Wake-On-LAN feature, so advance preparation is absolutely essential.

Then using VNC you will be able to see what is on the PC screen and
understand why the user can't log in.

The approach is essential to support idiot users.

--
Graham J

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf16lc$32qh4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74341&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74341

From: Jim.Dell@gmail.com (Jim Dell)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 08:19:56 -0400
 by: Jim Dell - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:19 UTC

Bill wrote:
> I have Windows Version 10, Pro., and a friend has Windows Version 10,
> Home.  My friend wishes for me to connect and control her PC remotely,
> through the GUI, for a short period of time.
>
> From what I've read, "Windows Remote Desktop" would make it easy for my
> friends computer to control mine (based on our operating systems), but
> that's not what we need (wrong direction).
>
> Can anyone recommend some decent free software that will help me do what
> I described at the top (ease of use is a big plus)?
>
> Thank you for your guidance!

I use AnyDesk

I connect to various version on Windows & Linux

Jim

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf1cgc$342oe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74349&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74349

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 09:59:38 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:59 UTC

On 9/27/23 04:01, this is what Graham J wrote:
> Problem with Teamviewer is that it is forever updating itself, so a few weeks down the line when your friend really
> needs help she will be expected to download and install the update to Teamviewer first - which may well be beyond her.
Team viewer has a down arrow on the top bar indicating an update is available and hitting it does the update itself.
User just clicks on the arrow. So she would be able to do it.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Remote access to PC

<0qe8hitd5vjvpfd29q7t6cov30hsdvuujf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74350&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74350

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 07:25:24 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:25 UTC

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 21:21:16 -0400, Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote:

>I have Windows Version 10, Pro., and a friend has Windows Version 10,
>Home. My friend wishes for me to connect and control her PC remotely,
>through the GUI, for a short period of time.
>
> From what I've read, "Windows Remote Desktop" would make it easy for my
>friends computer to control mine (based on our operating systems), but
>that's not what we need (wrong direction).
>
>Can anyone recommend some decent free software that will help me do what
>I described at the top (ease of use is a big plus)?
>
>Thank you for your guidance!

TeamViewer

Re: Remote access to PC

<kniubgFrfuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74353&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74353

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 17:00:00 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 15:00 UTC

On 27/09/2023 03:21, Bill wrote:
> I have Windows Version 10, Pro., and a friend has Windows Version 10,
> Home.  My friend wishes for me to connect and control her PC remotely,
> through the GUI, for a short period of time.
>
> From what I've read, "Windows Remote Desktop" would make it easy for my
> friends computer to control mine (based on our operating systems), but
> that's not what we need (wrong direction).
>
> Can anyone recommend some decent free software that will help me do what
> I described at the top (ease of use is a big plus)?
>
> Thank you for your guidance!

I use TeamViewer to control the pc of an old friend who lives many miles
away. It's free and works great. I can really advice this.
I have W10 Pro, and my friend has W10 Home.

Fokke Nauta

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf1ja6$35ibk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74354&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74354

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 11:55:49 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 15:55 UTC

On 9/26/2023 9:21 PM, Bill wrote:
> I have Windows Version 10, Pro., and a friend has Windows Version 10, Home.  My friend wishes for me to connect and control her PC remotely, through the GUI, for a short period of time.
>
> From what I've read, "Windows Remote Desktop" would make it easy for my
> friends computer to control mine (based on our operating systems), but that's not what we need (wrong direction).
>
> Can anyone recommend some decent free software that will help me do what I described at the top (ease of use is a big plus)?
>
> Thank you for your guidance!

You can apparently, do stuff on both Home and Pro.

This HP article claims you can add something from Microsoft Store.
And perhaps in a different era, download a Win32 version, but they
don't show that.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/how-to-use-windows-remote-desktop-connection

# Possible leads to finding one...
# Yes, the usual "bobbing for apples/pain in the ass" stuff as
# you try to find a version for your particular OS.

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/microsoft-remote-desktop/9WZDNCRFJ3PS?hl=en-ca&gl=ca&rtc=1

https://aka.ms/RDSetup

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50042

I have to go out now, but I'll take a shot at verifying when I get back.
I'll need a clean install for a candidate (I have one disk which is
ready to use, but not for the other end).

Paul

Re: Remote access to PC

<knj4reFs6o0U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74356&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74356

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 18:50:54 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 16:50 UTC

On 2023-09-27 14:02, Graham J wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> Unfortunately, many times my help is requested is because "it doesn't
>> allow me to login".
>
> If you prepare in advance with the appropriate routers and a LAN-to-LAN
> VPN, and Wake-On-LAN, you can invoke Wake-On-LAN from the remote router
> and the PC will start by itself (not if it uses WiFi, obviously!).  This
> does take some skill to set up and may require BIOS access to configure
> the Wake-On-LAN feature, so advance preparation is absolutely essential.
>
> Then using VNC you will be able to see what is on the PC screen and
> understand why the user can't log in.
>
> The approach is essential to support idiot users.

We are not in the same LAN. It would have to be through internet (and WiFI)

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf1mqm$36btu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74358&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74358

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:55:50 -0400
 by: ...winston - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 16:55 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> I have Windows Version 10, Pro., and a friend has Windows Version 10,
>> Home.  My friend wishes for me to connect and control her PC remotely
>
> Far a solution where neither of you have to install any extra software,
> there is Quick Assist built-in to Win10.
>
> You both type Win+Ctrl+Q to start it.
>
> You (as the helper) will need to click "help someone" and sign-in to a
> microsoft account, it will generate a code and display it to you.
>
> She (as the person to be helped) doesn't need a microsoft account, she
> just needs to click "get help"
>
> You have to tell her the code, she has to type it in, then she has to
> click to "accept" the remote session, at which point you can see, but
> not control her screen.
>
> If you click "request control" it will prompt her to allow that, then
> you can control her PC, if you do anything that requires admin access on
> her computer, you cannot enter the password, she must do it.

+1

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf1ovq$36r8h$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74361&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74361

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 18:32:31 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 17:32 UTC

Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-09-27 14:02, Graham J wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>>> Unfortunately, many times my help is requested is because "it doesn't
>>> allow me to login".
>>
>> If you prepare in advance with the appropriate routers and a
>> LAN-to-LAN VPN, and Wake-On-LAN, you can invoke Wake-On-LAN from the
>> remote router and the PC will start by itself (not if it uses WiFi,
>> obviously!).  This does take some skill to set up and may require BIOS
>> access to configure the Wake-On-LAN feature, so advance preparation is
>> absolutely essential.
>>
>> Then using VNC you will be able to see what is on the PC screen and
>> understand why the user can't log in.
>>
>> The approach is essential to support idiot users.
>
> We are not in the same LAN. It would have to be through internet (and WiFI)

OK so routers and LAN-to-LAN VPN essential, and you would have to rely
on the use to power up the remote PC.

--
Graham J

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf20tr.k0g.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74362&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74362

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 27 Sep 2023 17:48:46 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 17:48 UTC

Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
[...]

> > TeamViewer works great for me.  You can connect to a remote PC, and you
> > can both see that pc's screen.
> > I've used it many time to see what a user is complaining about and show
> > them how to fix it etc.  A picture is worth a 1000 words.
>
> Except that the person who needs help will not be able to download and
> install Teamviewer - if they could do that for themselves they would not
> need help! So go visit your friend and install Teamviewer for her. If
> you take your laptop also you can demonstrate it working.

Yes, that approach (go visit your friend) is better/easier/<whatever>,
but not really required. If it was, TeamViewer would be useless for
parties for whom a visit is not practical/possible.

If you create a TeamViewer session and you and the remote person use
the same browser, you can easily guide her through the download/install.

The session creates a URL, which you can pass by email or something
and then she just has to click the download button and click the
downloaded .exe. While you're doing this, you can do the same on your
own system, so you can tell her what she sees and what she must do.

> Problem with Teamviewer is that it is forever updating itself, so a few
> weeks down the line when your friend really needs help she will be
> expected to download and install the update to Teamviewer first - which
> may well be beyond her.

You can set TeamViewer to 'Check for new version' -> 'Never' and to
'No automatic updates' and do any updating manually.

[...]

Re: Remote access to PC

<apu8hil0q4799cn842enoidub3as10k9hb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74367&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74367

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:10:39 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 19:10 UTC

On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 09:01:34 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

>Windows Remote Desktop only works on the "Pro" version of Windows - but
>your friend has "Home". It relies on a network connection between the
>two PCs - typically they would be in the same room or office. But it
>will work where the network is implemented using a LAN-to-LAN VPN - but
>this has to be implemented using the routers at each end of the
>connection.

Remote Desktop also works across the Internet (WAN) without needing a VPN, but
then port forwarding at the destination is required.

Speaking of VPN, how is a VPN useful in this situation?

Back in about 2006-2007 my nephew and I joined our respective LANs together via
VPN, but it was about as far away from straightforward as you could get. After
we finally got it to work, we quickly abandoned the idea.

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf2khr$3c7k6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74381&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74381

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 21:23:07 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 01:23 UTC

On 9/27/2023 11:55 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 9/26/2023 9:21 PM, Bill wrote:
>> I have Windows Version 10, Pro., and a friend has Windows Version 10, Home.  My friend wishes for me to connect and control her PC remotely, through the GUI, for a short period of time.
>>
>> From what I've read, "Windows Remote Desktop" would make it easy for my
>> friends computer to control mine (based on our operating systems), but that's not what we need (wrong direction).
>>
>> Can anyone recommend some decent free software that will help me do what I described at the top (ease of use is a big plus)?
>>
>> Thank you for your guidance!
>
> You can apparently, do stuff on both Home and Pro.
>
> This HP article claims you can add something from Microsoft Store.
> And perhaps in a different era, download a Win32 version, but they
> don't show that.
>
> https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/how-to-use-windows-remote-desktop-connection
>
> # Possible leads to finding one...
> # Yes, the usual "bobbing for apples/pain in the ass" stuff as
> # you try to find a version for your particular OS.
>
> https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/microsoft-remote-desktop/9WZDNCRFJ3PS?hl=en-ca&gl=ca&rtc=1
>
> https://aka.ms/RDSetup
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50042
>
> I have to go out now, but I'll take a shot at verifying when I get back.
> I'll need a clean install for a candidate (I have one disk which is
> ready to use, but not for the other end).

Hmmm.

Not off to a great start.

What's interesting, is my Home install, didn't even get a Store icon :-)
Not particularly impressed right now.

At least the terminology here, indicates this is NOT for helping
people, it's for running your own PC remotely from a second PC.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/x8Hn86hJ/win10-remote-desktop-dialogs.gif

Or, I've got the wrong tool, and it's another dialog
I should be looking at.

It took forever to get my clean install done. Good thing
I don't do this for a living :-) It was like pulling
teeth with rusty pliers.

Paul

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf3adv$3j6h9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74388&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74388

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 08:36:20 +0100
 by: Graham J - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 07:36 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>> Big Al wrote:
> [...]
>
>>> TeamViewer works great for me.  You can connect to a remote PC, and you
>>> can both see that pc's screen.
>>> I've used it many time to see what a user is complaining about and show
>>> them how to fix it etc.  A picture is worth a 1000 words.
>>
>> Except that the person who needs help will not be able to download and
>> install Teamviewer - if they could do that for themselves they would not
>> need help! So go visit your friend and install Teamviewer for her. If
>> you take your laptop also you can demonstrate it working.
>
> Yes, that approach (go visit your friend) is better/easier/<whatever>,
> but not really required. If it was, TeamViewer would be useless for
> parties for whom a visit is not practical/possible.
>
> If you create a TeamViewer session and you and the remote person use
> the same browser, you can easily guide her through the download/install.

You've clearly never had to help a really incompetent user!

--
Graham J

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf3ap6$3jadt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74389&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74389

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 08:42:18 +0100
 by: Graham J - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 07:42 UTC

Char Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 09:01:34 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Windows Remote Desktop only works on the "Pro" version of Windows - but
>> your friend has "Home". It relies on a network connection between the
>> two PCs - typically they would be in the same room or office. But it
>> will work where the network is implemented using a LAN-to-LAN VPN - but
>> this has to be implemented using the routers at each end of the
>> connection.
>
> Remote Desktop also works across the Internet (WAN) without needing a VPN, but
> then port forwarding at the destination is required.

That is possible. But requires the target PC to have a fixed (or at
least known) IP address, and the port forwarding to be configured correctly.

> Speaking of VPN, how is a VPN useful in this situation?

Specifically a LAN-to-LAN VPN allows access to anything on the remote
network. For support of a small business where they may be several PCs,
networked printers, NAS, etc. it is really useful. Once set up, there's
no other configuration of any sort needed.

> Back in about 2006-2007 my nephew and I joined our respective LANs together via
> VPN, but it was about as far away from straightforward as you could get. After
> we finally got it to work, we quickly abandoned the idea.

This is easier with routers that support it properly, such as the
Draytek range. Of course you have to get it right!

--
Graham J

Re: Remote access to PC

<knkphbF9vtlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74391&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74391

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 08:50:03 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 07:50 UTC

Graham J wrote:

> Char Jackson wrote:
>
>> Remote Desktop also works across the Internet (WAN) without needing
>> a VPN, but then port forwarding at the destination is required.
>
> That is possible.  But requires the target PC to have a fixed (or at
> least known) IP address, and the port forwarding to be configured
> correctly.

When I had to support parents and aunts (they're all dead now) I
installed VNC on their machines, and I had port forwarding on *my* fixed
IP address, then created an icon for them to start a reverse VNC session
from their machine to mine ... no "complication" at their end, they can
change ISP and/or router without breaking stuff.

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf48vq.9t4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74400&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74400

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 28 Sep 2023 14:18:15 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 14:18 UTC

Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
> Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Big Al wrote:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> Except that the person who needs help will not be able to download and
> >> install Teamviewer - if they could do that for themselves they would not
> >> need help! So go visit your friend and install Teamviewer for her. If
> >> you take your laptop also you can demonstrate it working.
> >
> > Yes, that approach (go visit your friend) is better/easier/<whatever>,
> > but not really required. If it was, TeamViewer would be useless for
> > parties for whom a visit is not practical/possible.
> >
> > If you create a TeamViewer session and you and the remote person use
> > the same browser, you can easily guide her through the download/install.
>
> You've clearly never had to help a really incompetent user!

Actually, I've done remote support via the telephone for more than
half my professional life! And we didn't have any remote support/access
tools.

But yes, it is challenging and needs a lot of imagination (the
situation is often not what you think it is) and special human
interaction skills on your end.

Anyway, "incompetent" is in the eye of the beholder. That someone
doesn't have your knowledge/experience - and vice versa - doesn't make
either of you "incompetent". I have no indication that Bill's friend is
"a really incompetent user", do you?

BTW, why did you snip the details of how to set up and perform such a
TeamViewer session? You could/should at least have pointed out why that
couldn't work in your opinion.

And you snipped the bit about the (non-)updating.

All-in-all, a rather contentless and unjustified response.

Re: Remote access to PC

<uf483g$3omq9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74403&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74403

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 12:02:54 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:02 UTC

On 9/27/2023 9:23 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 9/27/2023 11:55 AM, Paul wrote:
>> On 9/26/2023 9:21 PM, Bill wrote:
>>> I have Windows Version 10, Pro., and a friend has Windows Version 10, Home.  My friend wishes for me to connect and control her PC remotely, through the GUI, for a short period of time.
>>>
>>> From what I've read, "Windows Remote Desktop" would make it easy for my
>>> friends computer to control mine (based on our operating systems), but that's not what we need (wrong direction).
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend some decent free software that will help me do what I described at the top (ease of use is a big plus)?
>>>
>>> Thank you for your guidance!
>>
>> You can apparently, do stuff on both Home and Pro.
>>
>> This HP article claims you can add something from Microsoft Store.
>> And perhaps in a different era, download a Win32 version, but they
>> don't show that.
>>
>> https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/how-to-use-windows-remote-desktop-connection
>>
>> # Possible leads to finding one...
>> # Yes, the usual "bobbing for apples/pain in the ass" stuff as
>> # you try to find a version for your particular OS.
>>
>> https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/microsoft-remote-desktop/9WZDNCRFJ3PS?hl=en-ca&gl=ca&rtc=1
>>
>> https://aka.ms/RDSetup
>>
>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50042
>>
>> I have to go out now, but I'll take a shot at verifying when I get back.
>> I'll need a clean install for a candidate (I have one disk which is
>> ready to use, but not for the other end).
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Not off to a great start.
>
> What's interesting, is my Home install, didn't even get a Store icon :-)
> Not particularly impressed right now.
>
> At least the terminology here, indicates this is NOT for helping
> people, it's for running your own PC remotely from a second PC.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/x8Hn86hJ/win10-remote-desktop-dialogs.gif
>
> Or, I've got the wrong tool, and it's another dialog
> I should be looking at.
>
> It took forever to get my clean install done. Good thing
> I don't do this for a living :-) It was like pulling
> teeth with rusty pliers.
>
> Paul

OK, this worked locally (on my LAN) and I can't test further than that.

It turns out, you don't need an MSA (Microsoft Account) on the W10Home end
(person requesting help). The older utility is still on both machines.
It is C:\Windows\System32\msra.exe [Microsoft Remote Assistance executable]

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/nhBVzxrk/msra-ese-I-need-help-please.gif

https://i.postimg.cc/9fXfNSXY/msra-exe-ok-i-will-help.gif

The person needing help, sends an invitation file as an email attachment
and passes a 12 character password in the body of the email.

The "Quick Assist" would use the MSA and the cloud presumably,
to simplify this bit.

The above procedure is, like all of these procedures, too complicated (of course).
That's always the way with computers.

Paul

Re: Remote access to PC

<d0sbhi12a03q62jeh695sotm8ka1acng6v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74415&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74415

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:42:53 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 21:42 UTC

On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 08:42:18 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

>Char Jackson wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 09:01:34 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Windows Remote Desktop only works on the "Pro" version of Windows - but
>>> your friend has "Home". It relies on a network connection between the
>>> two PCs - typically they would be in the same room or office. But it
>>> will work where the network is implemented using a LAN-to-LAN VPN - but
>>> this has to be implemented using the routers at each end of the
>>> connection.
>>
>> Remote Desktop also works across the Internet (WAN) without needing a VPN, but
>> then port forwarding at the destination is required.
>
>That is possible. But requires the target PC to have a fixed (or at
>least known) IP address, and the port forwarding to be configured correctly.

True, but it's still 1000 times easier to configure than the VPN that you're
talking about.

>> Speaking of VPN, how is a VPN useful in this situation?
>
>Specifically a LAN-to-LAN VPN allows access to anything on the remote
>network. For support of a small business where they may be several PCs,
>networked printers, NAS, etc. it is really useful. Once set up, there's
>no other configuration of any sort needed.

You're glossing over a whole lot there with those three little words, "once set
up". Small businesses are very different from the mom and pop home user. If
granny needed my help, the last thing I'd want to do is talk her through a VPN
config. I wouldn't even want to use RDP in that scenario, and that's way easier
than a VPN. That's why people are suggesting TeamViewer and its cousins.

>> Back in about 2006-2007 my nephew and I joined our respective LANs together via
>> VPN, but it was about as far away from straightforward as you could get. After
>> we finally got it to work, we quickly abandoned the idea.
>
>This is easier with routers that support it properly, such as the
>Draytek range. Of course you have to get it right!

Re: Remote access to PC

<drsbhihl6t99b0spt97j88blge23he9frm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=74416&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74416

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:43:33 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 21:43 UTC

On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 08:50:03 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>Graham J wrote:
>
>> Char Jackson wrote:
>>
>>> Remote Desktop also works across the Internet (WAN) without needing
>>> a VPN, but then port forwarding at the destination is required.
>>
>> That is possible.  But requires the target PC to have a fixed (or at
>> least known) IP address, and the port forwarding to be configured
>> correctly.
>
>When I had to support parents and aunts (they're all dead now) I
>installed VNC on their machines, and I had port forwarding on *my* fixed
>IP address, then created an icon for them to start a reverse VNC session
>from their machine to mine ... no "complication" at their end, they can
>change ISP and/or router without breaking stuff.

That's a very nice solution.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Remote access to PC