TRANSACTION CANCELLED - FARECARD RETURNED

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

SubjectAuthor
* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorknuttle
+- Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorPaul
+* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorT
|`* Adobe Reader DC (free) install error...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| `* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorT
|  +* Adobe Reader DC (free) install error...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  |+* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorT
|  ||`* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorBrian Gregory
|  || `- Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorT
|  |`* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorT
|  | `* Adobe Reader DC (free) install error...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  |  +* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorT
|  |  |`* Adobe Reader DC (free) install error...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  |  | `* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorT
|  |  |  `* Adobe Reader DC (free) install error...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  |  |   `* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorT
|  |  |    `- Adobe Reader DC (free) install error...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  |  `* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorBrian Gregory
|  |   +- Adobe Reader DC (free) install error...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  |   `* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorT
|  |    `* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorBrian Gregory
|  |     `- Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorT
|  `* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorCarlos E. R.
|   `* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorT
|    `- Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorCarlos E. R.
+- Adobe Reader DC (free) install error...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
`* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorAndy Burns
 +- Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorknuttle
 +* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorPaul
 |`- Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorCarlos E. R.
 `* Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorChar Jackson
  `- Adobe Reader DC (free) install errorAndy Burns

Pages:12
Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<uj2if5$1oqsi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75728&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75728

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:52:37 -0500
 by: knuttle - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 13:52 UTC

For the last couple of months, every time it tries to update, it fails
and there are hoops to jump through, the last time was a recovery the os
with out deleting data and apps. I deleted Adobe Reader DC (free)

The error is 1632, "the temp folder is on a drive that is
inaccessible."

There is one 1TB drive on the computer. The Temp folder in on C: and in
Windows/temp are empty.

Any solutions?

I know one solution that will be proposed is to dump Adobe BUT THAT IS
NOT AN OPTION.

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<uj2ocg$1pras$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75730&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75730

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 10:33:34 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:33 UTC

On 11/15/2023 8:52 AM, knuttle wrote:
> For the last couple of months, every time it tries to update, it fails and there are hoops to jump through, the last time was a recovery the os with out deleting data and apps.  I deleted Adobe Reader DC  (free)
>
> The error is 1632,  "the temp folder is on a drive that is inaccessible."
>
> There is one 1TB drive on the computer.  The Temp folder in on C: and in Windows/temp are empty.
>
> Any solutions?
>

> I know one solution that will be proposed is to dump Adobe BUT THAT IS NOT AN OPTION.

Reader has a massive footprint, for a simple document reader.

It's in all three branches of AppData (a hidden directory).

But as you would expect, there is yet another place programs
can store assets.

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\
ARM
Temp <=== this is a bad habit, keeping a "private" temporary folder. Empty.

It is likely that folder, used by ARM, that has a problem. As on
a <cough> upgrade, ARM does the upgrade.

ARM runs as a service. It does that, so it can enjoy elevation,
and slide in program installations without you knowing. Programs
like Seamonkey, don't bother with that, and if Seamonkey is trying
to update, a UAC prompt "gives away what it is doing" and blows its cover :-)
Seamonkey is an example of an "honest broker". It knocked on the front door,
then ran away.

The regular temp, we can ask:

echo %temp% %tmp%

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp

There is some Adobe stuff in there, such as license check activity NGL.
This is unlikely to contribute to an installer failure, more likely
a runtime failure, if there was a problem with the normal temp folder.

*******

The Windows Temp, is yet another temporary folder, for system work.
Shards of a Keith .docx don't go in here.

C:\Windows\Temp
ArmReport.ini "Version=23.006.20360" "Downloaded_Files=AcroRdrDCx64Upd2300620380_incr.msi"
ArmUI.ini garbage...
AdobeARM.log "*** Product after installation ***" "CreateProcessAsUser failed: Error Code: 5" "ARM returns ERROR_SUCCESS"
AdobeARM_Helper.log "/ArmElevate ... /USER:SYSTEM" "Helper succeeded"

Even though the status is "ERROR_SUCCESS", it must have worked.

See if you have logfiles. You can see that my "successful" run
was not problem free. Those four files open with Notepad.

cmd.exe # try as administrator, type "cmd" in a Admin Powershell terminal window
del C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Temp # Assets will remake removed "Temp" folders, via Createfile.

If that were to fail to work, you can schedule removal of locked folders
with a package like PendMoves, where the operation is done during shutdown.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pendmoves

*******

You can trace activity on a clean install, using Sysinternals Process Monitor procmon64.exe .
The files are served from the Microsoft site.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

I very seldom trace down a problem, to an exact event with that,
so that is unlikely to be a profitable activity. But, it's to show
there is a technical way to "watch what is going on", even if it is
more complexity than is absolutely necessary. The OS always contributes
a huge amount of "digital noise" while the install goes on, like
some sort of "smoke screen". That's part of the fun I guess, is
the throwing up of a smoke screen. I am constantly distracted in there,
by processes scanning the file system for some reason, and lighting up
DLLs and shit. Very annoying.

I have traced entire Macrium backup runs with that. The reason I could
profit from that, is I knew the errant part was 20 minutes in, near
the end of the backup. That way, I didn't have to sort through the
rubbish.

Paul

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<uj45ht$24i3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75736&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75736

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:24:28 -0800
 by: T - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 04:24 UTC

On 11/15/23 05:52, knuttle wrote:
> For the last couple of months, every time it tries to update, it fails
> and there are hoops to jump through, the last time was a recovery the os
> with out deleting data and apps.  I deleted Adobe Reader DC  (free)
>
> The error is 1632,  "the temp folder is on a drive that is inaccessible."
>
> There is one 1TB drive on the computer.  The Temp folder in on C: and in
> Windows/temp are empty.
>
> Any solutions?
>

> I know one solution that will be proposed is to dump Adobe BUT THAT IS
> NOT AN OPTION.

Hi Knuttle,

I have several customer that rely on Acrobat Reader.
They have the same issues you are having. To
work around it, I install the actual package and
happy camping returns.

The "stub" (and junkware) installer on Adobe's Acrobat Reader
download page is terrible crap. So is their update
utility.

I download and install (run) the actual package from

https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/AcrobatDC/

The current release is:

https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/AcrobatDC/2300620380/AcroRdrDCx642300620380_en_US.exe

HTH,
-T

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<uj5lfo$2c9hr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75746&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75746

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 11:02:30 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 18:02 UTC

T wrote on 11/15/23 9:24 PM:
> On 11/15/23 05:52, knuttle wrote:
>> For the last couple of months, every time it tries to update, it fails
>> and there are hoops to jump through, the last time was a recovery the
>> os with out deleting data and apps.  I deleted Adobe Reader DC  (free)
>>
>> The error is 1632,  "the temp folder is on a drive that is inaccessible."
>>
>> There is one 1TB drive on the computer.  The Temp folder in on C: and
>> in Windows/temp are empty.
>>
>> Any solutions?
>>

>> I know one solution that will be proposed is to dump Adobe BUT THAT IS
>> NOT AN OPTION.
>
> Hi Knuttle,
>
> I have several customer that rely on Acrobat Reader.
> They have the same issues you are having.  To
> work around it, I install the actual package and
> happy camping returns.
>
> The "stub" (and junkware) installer on Adobe's Acrobat Reader
> download page is terrible crap.  So is their update
> utility.
>
> I download and install (run) the actual package from
>
>    https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/AcrobatDC/
>
> The current release is:
>

> https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/AcrobatDC/2300620380/AcroRdrDCx642300620380_en_US.exe
>

> HTH,
> -T

First link is bad

For DC Continuous - just use the Enterprise download site for the full
offline installer and select the O/S, the language(specific locale or All
Languages MUI).
Single locale downloads 64 bit version full offline installer
All languages provides option for 32 bit and 64 bit version full
offline installer
<https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/>

Fyi...Enterprise in the above applies to he web site hosting the
installer, not to be confused as an 'enterprise version'

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<uj66at$2eud7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75755&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75755

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 14:50:05 -0800
 by: T - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 22:50 UTC

On 11/16/23 10:02, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> T wrote on 11/15/23 9:24 PM:
>> On 11/15/23 05:52, knuttle wrote:
>>> For the last couple of months, every time it tries to update, it
>>> fails and there are hoops to jump through, the last time was a
>>> recovery the os with out deleting data and apps.  I deleted Adobe
>>> Reader DC  (free)
>>>
>>> The error is 1632,  "the temp folder is on a drive that is
>>> inaccessible."
>>>
>>> There is one 1TB drive on the computer.  The Temp folder in on C: and
>>> in Windows/temp are empty.
>>>
>>> Any solutions?
>>>

>>> I know one solution that will be proposed is to dump Adobe BUT THAT
>>> IS NOT AN OPTION.
>>
>> Hi Knuttle,
>>
>> I have several customer that rely on Acrobat Reader.
>> They have the same issues you are having.  To
>> work around it, I install the actual package and
>> happy camping returns.
>>
>> The "stub" (and junkware) installer on Adobe's Acrobat Reader
>> download page is terrible crap.  So is their update
>> utility.
>>
>> I download and install (run) the actual package from
>>
>>     https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/AcrobatDC/
>>
>> The current release is:
>>

>> https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/AcrobatDC/2300620380/AcroRdrDCx642300620380_en_US.exe
>>
>> HTH,
>> -T
>>

> First link is bad

Interesting that Adobe blocked access to that address.
Looking at my code, I am deriving the revision from

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html

and then filling in the curl download address

> For DC Continuous - just use the Enterprise download site for the full
> offline installer and select the O/S, the language(specific locale or
> All Languages MUI).
>  Single locale downloads 64 bit version full offline installer
>  All languages provides option for 32 bit and 64 bit version full
> offline installer
> <https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/>

I download the 64 bit version on purpose. I have zero
customers in 32 bit windows anymore. And I have had to
manually scrub out mixed 32 bit and 64 bit corrupted
installation of Reader. I have foudn that
after clearing everything out, that installing the 64
bit only, Adobe's updates stop trying to install
the 32 bit version

> Fyi...Enterprise  in the above applies to he web site hosting the
> installer, not to be confused as an 'enterprise version'

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<uj6aj9$2fm9t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75757&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75757

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 17:02:48 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 00:02 UTC

T wrote on 11/16/23 3:50 PM:
> On 11/16/23 10:02, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> T wrote on 11/15/23 9:24 PM:

>>> Hi Knuttle,
>>>
>>> I have several customer that rely on Acrobat Reader.
>>> They have the same issues you are having.  To
>>> work around it, I install the actual package and
>>> happy camping returns.
>>>
>>> The "stub" (and junkware) installer on Adobe's Acrobat Reader
>>> download page is terrible crap.  So is their update
>>> utility.
>>>
>>> I download and install (run) the actual package from
>>>
>>>     https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/AcrobatDC/
>>>
>>> The current release is:
>>>

>>> https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/AcrobatDC/2300620380/AcroRdrDCx642300620380_en_US.exe
>>>

>>> HTH,
>>> -T
>>>

>> First link is bad
>
> Interesting that Adobe blocked access to that address.
> Looking at my code, I am deriving the revision from
>

> https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html
>

> and then filling in the curl download address

Imo, wasted effort. The Enterprise web site provides the same
applicsation. Single language versions for W10/11 are 64 bit. MUI(All
language) versions provide the option for both 32 and 64 bit.
The 32 bit remains primarily for devices in Win10 and earlier that did
not support 64 bit o/s.
Fyi...in case you missed it, 32 bit AR versions on 64bit o/s are
automatically upgraded to 64 bit.
i.e. the unless one has a Win7 or earlier o/s with 32 bit, or a Win10
device with 32 bit, there is no reason for downloading or installing the
32 bit version.

>> For DC Continuous - just use the Enterprise download site for the full
>> offline installer and select the O/S, the language(specific locale or
>> All Languages MUI).
>>   Single locale downloads 64 bit version full offline installer
>>   All languages provides option for 32 bit and 64 bit version full
>> offline installer
>> <https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/>
>
> I download the 64 bit version on purpose.   I have zero
> customers in 32 bit windows anymore.  And  I have had to
> manually scrub out mixed 32 bit and 64 bit corrupted
> installation of Reader.  I have foudn that
> after clearing everything out, that installing the 64
> bit only, Adobe's updates stop trying to install
> the 32 bit version

See above.
Wasted effort. No need to scrub. For DC Continous - Remove 32 bit,
install 64 bit.
As noted above 32 bit automatically get upgraded to 64 bit.

If using DC Classis(Classic is 2020 and with continued updating but on a
different cadence and without few(if any) feature updates.

In fact for home users and business that don't operate in an Admin
control environment Classic would be the better choice because it would
be rare with a non-Admin environment to:
-Use serialized deployments; i.e. don't need identity-based licensing and
deployment and the ability to manage users via the Admin Console.
-Don't need to limit the feature set to those included in major releases.
- Have not purchased services.
- Manage updates(manuall or automatically) on a different
cadence(quarterly or longer vs. Monthly) - about the same as pre- Classic
version 11.x was managed

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<krnqm2Fotq4U15@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75762&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75762

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 01:33:06 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 00:33 UTC

On 2023-11-16 23:50, T wrote:
> On 11/16/23 10:02, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> T wrote on 11/15/23 9:24 PM:
>>> On 11/15/23 05:52, knuttle wrote:

>>> The "stub" (and junkware) installer on Adobe's Acrobat Reader
>>> download page is terrible crap.  So is their update
>>> utility.
>>>
>>> I download and install (run) the actual package from
>>>
>>>     https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/AcrobatDC/
>>>
>>> The current release is:
>>>

>>> https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/AcrobatDC/2300620380/AcroRdrDCx642300620380_en_US.exe

>> First link is bad
>
> Interesting that Adobe blocked access to that address.
> Looking at my code, I am deriving the revision from
>

> https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html
>
> and then filling in the curl download address

I just remembered something from long ago, but I don't remember if it
happened with adobe downloads. Could be vmware or adobe. Over a decade ago.

Going to their page I got a download link that would work for a limited
time outside of firefox. After an hour or two, it failed. I think they
wanted to know how many people downloaded it.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<uj6fjo$2g83u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75764&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75764

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 17:28:24 -0800
 by: T - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 01:28 UTC

On 11/16/23 16:02, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> 32 bit AR versions on 64bit o/s are automatically upgraded to 64 bit

Only in an ideal world.

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<uj6fof$2g83u$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75765&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75765

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 17:30:55 -0800
 by: T - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 01:30 UTC

On 11/16/23 16:33, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-11-16 23:50, T wrote:

>>> First link is bad
>>
>> Interesting that Adobe blocked access to that address.
>> Looking at my code, I am deriving the revision from
>>

>> https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html
>>
>> and then filling in the curl download address
>
> I just remembered something from long ago, but I don't remember if it
> happened with adobe downloads. Could be vmware or adobe. Over a decade ago.
>
> Going to their page I got a download link that would work for a limited
> time outside of firefox. After an hour or two, it failed. I think they
> wanted to know how many people downloaded it.

Probably a cookie. I usually leave those off and they work anyway.

This is what Firefox see on the direct download I posted above:

curl --header 'Host: ardownload2.adobe.com' --user-agent 'Mozilla/5.0
(Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/119.0'
--header 'Accept:
text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/avif,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8'
--header 'Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5' --cookie
's_nr=1700175489103-New; fg=X6PWF63ZFPP5EDEKFAQVYHAADQ======;
OptanonAlertBoxClosed=2023-11-16T22:43:25.256Z;
OptanonConsent=groups=C0001%3A1%2CC0002%3A1%2CC0003%3A1%2CC0004%3A1'
--header 'Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1' --header 'Sec-Fetch-Dest:
document' --header 'Sec-Fetch-Mode: navigate' --header 'Sec-Fetch-Site:
none' --header 'Sec-Fetch-User: ?1'
'https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/AcrobatDC/2300620380/AcroRdrDCx642300620380_en_US.exe'
--output 'AcroRdrDCx642300620380_en_US.exe'

I drop most of the above in my program.

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<uj6fuo$2g83u$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75766&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75766

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 17:34:16 -0800
 by: T - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 01:34 UTC

On 11/16/23 16:02, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> See above.
>  Wasted effort. No need to scrub. For DC Continous - Remove 32 bit,
> install 64 bit.

Winston,

Sometimes you are an ass. Do you really, really
think I did not try that first and second and third?

You posit ideal conditions and totally disregard and
input I give when things go wrong and how to fix them.
And disregard any of my experiences I share.

> As noted above 32 bit automatically get upgraded to 64 bit.

See my ass comment above.

-T

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<kro2maFotq4U18@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75767&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75767

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 03:49:46 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 02:49 UTC

On 2023-11-17 02:30, T wrote:
> On 11/16/23 16:33, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> Interesting that Adobe blocked access to that address.
>>> Looking at my code, I am deriving the revision from
>>>

>>> https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html
>>>
>>> and then filling in the curl download address
>>
>> I just remembered something from long ago, but I don't remember if it
>> happened with adobe downloads. Could be vmware or adobe. Over a decade
>> ago.
>>
>> Going to their page I got a download link that would work for a
>> limited time outside of firefox. After an hour or two, it failed. I
>> think they wanted to know how many people downloaded it.
>>

> Probably a cookie.  I usually leave those off and they work anyway.

No, in my case it was a one off url.

> This is what Firefox see on the direct download I posted above:
>
> curl --header 'Host: ardownload2.adobe.com' --user-agent 'Mozilla/5.0
> (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/119.0'
> --header 'Accept:
> text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/avif,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8' --header 'Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5' --cookie 's_nr=1700175489103-New; fg=X6PWF63ZFPP5EDEKFAQVYHAADQ======; OptanonAlertBoxClosed=2023-11-16T22:43:25.256Z; OptanonConsent=groups=C0001%3A1%2CC0002%3A1%2CC0003%3A1%2CC0004%3A1' --header 'Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1' --header 'Sec-Fetch-Dest: document' --header 'Sec-Fetch-Mode: navigate' --header 'Sec-Fetch-Site: none' --header 'Sec-Fetch-User: ?1' 'https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/AcrobatDC/2300620380/AcroRdrDCx642300620380_en_US.exe' --output 'AcroRdrDCx642300620380_en_US.exe'
>
> I drop most of the above in my program.

Wow.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<kro698F15pmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75768&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75768

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 03:51:04 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 03:51 UTC

On 17/11/2023 01:28, T wrote:
> On 11/16/23 16:02, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> 32 bit AR versions on 64bit o/s are automatically upgraded to 64 bit
>
> Only in an ideal world.

Twice out of twice here.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<uj6phq$2lac3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75769&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75769

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 20:18:02 -0800
 by: T - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 04:18 UTC

On 11/16/23 19:51, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 17/11/2023 01:28, T wrote:
>> On 11/16/23 16:02, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>>> 32 bit AR versions on 64bit o/s are automatically upgraded to 64 bit
>>
>> Only in an ideal world.
>
> Twice out of twice here.

Worked or did not work? I only get called
when things do not work, so I do not know
how often things work.

I am guessing th4e ones I have fixed that did
not work were really old 32 bit versions trying
to update to 64 bit. But it is only a guess.

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<uj87l1$2sru7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75779&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75779

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:24:46 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 17:24 UTC

T wrote on 11/16/23 6:34 PM:
> On 11/16/23 16:02, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> See above.
>>   Wasted effort. No need to scrub. For DC Continous - Remove 32 bit,
>> install 64 bit.
>

> Winston,
>
> Do you really, really
> think I did not try that first and second and third?
>
> You posit ideal conditions and totally disregard and
> input I give when things go wrong and how to fix them.
> And disregard any of my experiences I share.
>
> >   As noted above 32 bit automatically get upgraded to 64 bit.
>
> -T

In this case, your claims about mixed versions running at the same time
is likely to be false or old and rarely applicable info. Even if it was
version 11.x(pre DC Continuous or Classic mixing would not apply since 64
bit version are post 11.x.

That mixed use potential was fixed over 2.5 years ago for Reader DC.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<uj978j$31nv0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75788&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75788

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 18:24:19 -0800
 by: T - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 02:24 UTC

On 11/17/23 09:24, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> T wrote on 11/16/23 6:34 PM:
>> On 11/16/23 16:02, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>>> See above.
>>>   Wasted effort. No need to scrub. For DC Continous - Remove 32 bit,
>>> install 64 bit.
>>

>> Winston,
>>
>> Do you really, really
>> think I did not try that first and second and third?
>>
>> You posit ideal conditions and totally disregard and
>> input I give when things go wrong and how to fix them.
>> And disregard any of my experiences I share.
>>
>>  >   As noted above 32 bit automatically get upgraded to 64 bit.
>>
>> -T
>
> In this case, your claims about mixed versions running at the same time
> is likely to be false or old and rarely applicable info. Even if it was
> version 11.x(pre DC Continuous or Classic mixing would not apply since
> 64 bit version are post 11.x.
>
> That mixed use potential was fixed over 2.5 years ago for Reader DC.

You are an ass

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<ujbnft$3hb1p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75810&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75810

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 18:13:31 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 01:13 UTC

knuttle wrote on 11/15/23 6:52 AM:
> For the last couple of months, every time it tries to update, it fails
> and there are hoops to jump through, the last time was a recovery the os
> with out deleting data and apps.  I deleted Adobe Reader DC  (free)
>
> The error is 1632,  "the temp folder is on a drive that is inaccessible."
>
> There is one 1TB drive on the computer.  The Temp folder in on C: and in
> Windows/temp are empty.
>
> Any solutions?
>

> I know one solution that will be proposed is to dump Adobe BUT THAT IS
> NOT AN OPTION.

Thanks for the email reply.

If not following the same process as last time that worked and willing to
wait and see if update functions later, that's your call.

If you decide to wait, consider waiting until after the next planned
update released version and use the Enterprise link below(posted earlier)
to download a later full version than you currently have installed, and
install.
<https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/>>

Good luck.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<kru7q1FdvbbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75814&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75814

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 10:53:54 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 10:53 UTC

knuttle wrote:

> I know one solution that will be proposed is to dump Adobe BUT THAT IS
> NOT AN OPTION.

Acrobat Reader is never higher than my 3rd choice of PDF viewer, and
even that's a rare occasion for me; what features make it "mandatory"
for you?

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<ujctgu$3q28k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75815&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75815

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 07:02:38 -0500
 by: knuttle - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 12:02 UTC

On 11/19/2023 5:53 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> knuttle wrote:
>
>> I know one solution that will be proposed is to dump Adobe BUT THAT IS
>> NOT AN OPTION.
>
> Acrobat Reader is never higher than my 3rd choice of PDF viewer, and
> even that's a rare occasion for me;  what features make it "mandatory"
> for you?
I like the Stick note feature. Using the commenting feature I can "dog
ear" the document much like you could with a book.
I like the ability to complete forms, regardless of what type of PDF
document I have received. Form PDF, image PDF, Text PDF. Using the Add
Text sub function of the Comment function any document can be completed,
sent and saved electronically. If you want to make it permanent you
print the PDF document back to a PDF file.
Since most computers come, or did, with Adobe Reader it makes training a
lot easier.
It is a very powerful easy used program and it is free.

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<uje5lm$e8p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75819&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75819

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 16:27:49 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 23:27 UTC

T wrote on 11/17/23 7:24 PM:
> On 11/17/23 09:24, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> T wrote on 11/16/23 6:34 PM:
>>>

>>> Winston,
>>>
>>> Do you really, really
>>> think I did not try that first and second and third?
>>>
>>> You posit ideal conditions and totally disregard and
>>> input I give when things go wrong and how to fix them.
>>> And disregard any of my experiences I share.
>>>
>>>  >   As noted above 32 bit automatically get upgraded to 64 bit.
>>>
>>> -T
>>
>> In this case, your claims about mixed versions running at the same time
>> is likely to be false or old and rarely applicable info. Even if it was
>> version 11.x(pre DC Continuous or Classic mixing would not apply since
>> 64 bit version are post 11.x.
>>
>> That mixed use potential was fixed over 2.5 years ago for Reader DC.
>
> You are an <unprofessional name calling by T 'removed'>

....name calling only shows your true colors.
You can post whatever you wish, but if wrong or no longer applicable or
capable of a reproducible condition(s) it should be questioned.

As mentioned before, for the most part you provide good value added
advice, but occasionally it's no longer helpful or necessary.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<ujerla$6ut3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75823&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75823

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 21:43:06 -0800
 by: T - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 05:43 UTC

On 11/19/23 15:27, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> T wrote on 11/17/23 7:24 PM:

>>> In this case, your claims about mixed versions running at the same
>>> time is likely to be false or old and rarely applicable info. Even if
>>> it was version 11.x(pre DC Continuous or Classic mixing would not
>>> apply since 64 bit version are post 11.x.
>>>
>>> That mixed use potential was fixed over 2.5 years ago for Reader DC.
>>
>> You are an <unprofessional name calling by T 'removed'>
>
> ...name calling only shows your true colors.
> You can post whatever you wish, but if wrong or no longer applicable or
> capable of a reproducible condition(s) it should be questioned.
>
> As mentioned before, for the most part you provide good value added
> advice, but occasionally it's no longer helpful or necessary.

Winston,

Do you even know the difference between begin called an ass
and having your behavior call acting like an ass?

You are an invariable encyclopedia on all things Windows. How
they are support to act. But when they do not perform as
they are suppose to, you are useless. And when things
act differently from your world view, you make sure and
discount what other say. You know all and see all Windows:
in theory, pretty close, but when things go wrong, useless.
This is what I refer to your behavior as acting like an ass.

-T

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<ujf1nb$7op7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75824&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75824

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 02:26:33 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 07:26 UTC

On 11/19/2023 5:53 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> knuttle wrote:
>
>> I know one solution that will be proposed is to dump Adobe BUT THAT IS NOT AN OPTION.
>
> Acrobat Reader is never higher than my 3rd choice of PDF viewer, and even that's a rare occasion for me;  what features make it "mandatory" for you?

It's buzzword compliant.

That's all it has going for it.

You can use it to fill out a Jetform variant of PDF.

The FOSS world does not have complete support for "everything"
that Adobe says can go into documents. It's up to the user
community to not use whizzy stuff, and then we don't need
buzzword compliance any more. Maybe government tax forms,
are the most abusive source of buzzword compliance issues.

I don't even know if there is a complete set of test documents,
that demonstrate every possible thing Adobe says can go in there.

For example (maybe I got this wrong), there is some dual-representation
of PDF available where it has the normal PDF objects, but it also
has a copy of the MSWord source for the document. Some sort of scheme
so the document can be edited, at some sort of source level. If such
a thing exists, I don't have any samples. This would be something
Office munches on, rather than an issue for the Reader. The Reader
would just ignore the rest of the info.

It's a "very junky" file type :-) You can put a movie into a PDF,
and then there is a player window in the middle of a page of text.
And a number of features are supported by Javascript to make
programming for them (I keep Javascript OFF in the Preferences).

Paul

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<ks12d3F1kmtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75825&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75825

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:40:03 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 12:40 UTC

On 2023-11-20 08:26, Paul wrote:
> On 11/19/2023 5:53 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> knuttle wrote:
>>
>>> I know one solution that will be proposed is to dump Adobe BUT THAT IS NOT AN OPTION.
>>
>> Acrobat Reader is never higher than my 3rd choice of PDF viewer, and even that's a rare occasion for me;  what features make it "mandatory" for you?
>
> It's buzzword compliant.
>
> That's all it has going for it.
>
> You can use it to fill out a Jetform variant of PDF.
>
> The FOSS world does not have complete support for "everything"
> that Adobe says can go into documents. It's up to the user
> community to not use whizzy stuff, and then we don't need
> buzzword compliance any more. Maybe government tax forms,
> are the most abusive source of buzzword compliance issues.

Absolutely :-(

There is Javascript support, which is a security risk, but some forms
use it. And XFA forms, unsure if that is the name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFA

> I don't even know if there is a complete set of test documents,
> that demonstrate every possible thing Adobe says can go in there.
>
> For example (maybe I got this wrong), there is some dual-representation
> of PDF available where it has the normal PDF objects, but it also
> has a copy of the MSWord source for the document.

Libre Office can also do this.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<94gnlit576p7a21o0fft7pi9n1l8gaoqam@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75828&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75828

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 14:30:31 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 20:30 UTC

On Sun, 19 Nov 2023 10:53:54 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>knuttle wrote:
>
>> I know one solution that will be proposed is to dump Adobe BUT THAT IS
>> NOT AN OPTION.
>
>Acrobat Reader is never higher than my 3rd choice of PDF viewer, and
>even that's a rare occasion for me; what features make it "mandatory"
>for you?

I use Acrobat Reader because, quite simply, it's the best at what it does. I've
tried a handful of the popular alternatives, but each of them always comes up
short sooner or later.

When one doesn't render a document correctly, I would try another reader. Maybe
that one works, but maybe not. That means needing to have multiple readers
installed.

With Acrobat, it just works every time, leading me to remove all of the others.

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<ks1v3qF9fviU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75829&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75829

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 20:49:57 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 20:49 UTC

Char Jackson wrote:

> I use Acrobat Reader because, quite simply, it's the best at what it does. I've
> tried a handful of the popular alternatives, but each of them always comes up
> short sooner or later.

I prefer SumatraPDF as my default viewer, it's lightweight and fast,
doesn't attempt to do form filling, I never liked plugins that kept PDFs
within the browser and never liked the pdfjs based renderers within
browsers.

> When one doesn't render a document correctly, I would try another reader. Maybe
> that one works, but maybe not. That means needing to have multiple readers
> installed.

For form filling, I tend to use Foxit (or sometimes LibreOffice)

> With Acrobat, it just works every time, leading me to remove all of the others.

I do have Acrobat as a last resort (some protected PDFs from British
Standards Institute) at least the days of Acrobat being a can of worms
for security are long gone, but its a hog, gets its teeth into outlook,
word etc, does too much at once, spends ages preparing documents for
screen-reader access unless you tell it you're not sight-impaired.

Re: Adobe Reader DC (free) install error

<ujij2f$soaf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=75837&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#75837

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:41:00 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 15:41 UTC

T wrote on 11/19/23 10:43 PM:
> On 11/19/23 15:27, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> T wrote on 11/17/23 7:24 PM:

>>> You are an <unprofessional name calling by T 'removed'>
>>
>> ...name calling only shows your true colors.
>> You can post whatever you wish, but if wrong or no longer applicable or
>> capable of a reproducible condition(s) it should be questioned.
>>
>> As mentioned before, for the most part you provide good value added
>> advice, but occasionally it's no longer helpful or necessary.
>
> Winston,
>
> Do you even know the difference between begin called an ass
> and having your behavior call acting like an ass?
>
> You are an invariable encyclopedia on all things Windows.  How
> they are support to act.  But when they do not perform as
> they are suppose to, you are useless.  And when things
> act differently from your world view, you make sure and
> discount what other say.  You know all and see all Windows:
> in theory, pretty close, but when things go wrong, useless.
> This is what I refer to your behavior as acting like an ass.
>
> -T

Doesn't matter.

Use of that term in any fashion even when later attempting to clarify
just keeps digging your unprofessional hole deeper.

--