'Course, I haven't weighed in yet. :-) -- Larry Wall in <199710281816.KAA29614@wall.org>

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / No internet, secured

SubjectAuthor
* No internet, securedmicky
+- No internet, secured...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
+* No internet, securedPhilip Herlihy
|`* No internet, securedDave Roya
| `- No internet, securedmicky
`* No internet, securedArno Welzel
 +* No internet, securedAndy Burns
 |+* No internet, securedJoerg Lorenz
 ||`* No internet, securedPaul
 || +* No internet, securedJörg_Lorenz
 || |`- No internet, securedArno Welzel
 || +* No internet, securedCarlos E.R.
 || |+* No internet, securedJörg_Lorenz
 || |`- No internet, securedwasbit
 || `* No internet, securedwasbit
 ||  `* No internet, securedJoerg Lorenz
 ||   `- No internet, securedPaul
 |`* No internet, securedArno Welzel
 | `* No internet, securedPaul
 |  `* No internet, securedArno Welzel
 |   `* No internet, securedPaul
 |    +- No internet, secured...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
 |    `- No internet, securedArno Welzel
 `* No internet, securedmicky
  `* No internet, securedChar Jackson
   `* No internet, securedmicky
    `* No internet, securedmicky
     +* No internet, securedChar Jackson
     |`* No internet, securedPaul
     | `- No internet, securedChar Jackson
     `- No internet, securedDave Roya

Pages:12
No internet, secured

<9habpi9sdmiggg79cnng41qdmclg2gdh0d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77370&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77370

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: No internet, secured
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 13:49:14 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 18:49 UTC

What does it mean when it says "No internet, secured"??? It had internet
45 minutes ago, when I left to make a phone call.

It must be connected because the button is labeled Disconnect.

I tried both the regular wifi and the one with -5G. Will their
passwords be the same??? (I'm at my brother's so I don't know.)

I had to switch to my phone which told me today I'm up to 80% of my
monthly quota and they will slow the rate soon. ;-(

Re: No internet, secured

<un4avd$3a518$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77371&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77371

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: No internet, secured
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 12:02:03 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 19:02 UTC

micky wrote on 1/3/24 11:49 AM:

> I tried both the regular wifi and the one with -5G. Will their
> passwords be the same??? (I'm at my brother's so I don't know.)

Will the passwords be the same?

Passwords for wifi(2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) are normally configured by the
person who setup the router.

e.g. Netgear routers that provide both 2.4 and 5 wifi connections have
the ability to have the same or different passwords for each wifi connection.

Thus, the only to way to determine the answer to your question.
Test using the same password for the alternate connection.
If it works, you're good to go.
If it does not work, ask your brother

'No Internet, secured' typically means your device is connected to the
router's wifi network with a secured connection and without internet access.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: No internet, secured

<MPG.3fffc03bcaf90292989a9b@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77372&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77372

From: PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 19:05:01 -0000
 by: Philip Herlihy - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 19:05 UTC

In article <9habpi9sdmiggg79cnng41qdmclg2gdh0d@4ax.com>, micky wrote...

> What does it mean when it says "No internet, secured"??? It had internet
> 45 minutes ago, when I left to make a phone call.
>
> It must be connected because the button is labeled Disconnect.
>
> I tried both the regular wifi and the one with -5G. Will their
> passwords be the same??? (I'm at my brother's so I don't know.)
>

> I had to switch to my phone which told me today I'm up to 80% of my
> monthly quota and they will slow the rate soon. ;-(

What that means is that you have a Wi-Fi connection to the router, which is
secured (using a key) but that the router has lost its connection to the
Internet (or, rarely, is blocking your Wi-Fi connection to the Internet). Very
often a router will sort itself out, but you may like to restart the router
(once) to nudge it into seeking a fresh Internet connection. The server may be
down, so it may not come back instantly. Chances are it'll have come back by
the time you read this!

5G is a cellular protocol, not Wi-Fi, so the connection would be authenticated
by the mobile's SIM. You may be thinking of 5GHZ, which is a faster (but
slightly shorter-range) wireless protocol than the older 2.4GHz. The passwords
might well be the same, but as they are configurable they might have been set
differently by the router's owner. In any event, you've successfully connected
over Wi-Fi already, so that's not the issue.

--

Phil, London

Re: No internet, secured

<un4c1o$3a9pf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77374&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77374

Followup: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 19:20:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 19:20 UTC

On 3 Jan 2024 19:05:01 -0000 Philip Herlihy wrote:
>In article <9habpi9sdmiggg79cnng41qdmclg2gdh0d@4ax.com>, micky wrote...
>>
>> What does it mean when it says "No internet, secured"??? It had internet
>> 45 minutes ago, when I left to make a phone call.
>>
>> It must be connected because the button is labeled Disconnect.
>>
>> I tried both the regular wifi and the one with -5G. Will their
>> passwords be the same??? (I'm at my brother's so I don't know.)
>>

>> I had to switch to my phone which told me today I'm up to 80% of my
>> monthly quota and they will slow the rate soon. ;-(
>
>What that means is that you have a Wi-Fi connection to the router, which is
>secured (using a key) but that the router has lost its connection to the
>Internet (or, rarely, is blocking your Wi-Fi connection to the Internet). Very
>often a router will sort itself out, but you may like to restart the router
>(once) to nudge it into seeking a fresh Internet connection. The server may be
>down, so it may not come back instantly. Chances are it'll have come back by
>the time you read this!
>
>5G is a cellular protocol, not Wi-Fi, so the connection would be authenticated
>by the mobile's SIM. You may be thinking of 5GHZ, which is a faster (but
>slightly shorter-range) wireless protocol than the older 2.4GHz. The passwords
>might well be the same, but as they are configurable they might have been set
>differently by the router's owner. In any event, you've successfully connected
>over Wi-Fi already, so that's not the issue.

I think he's referring to 5Ghz wifi.

Micky: The passwords are usually the same.

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: No internet, secured

<njfbpipunnp4qrdbmugbg1nsp43qpqt3pc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77375&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77375

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 15:16:30 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 20:16 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 3 Jan 2024 19:20:24 -0000 (UTC), Dave
Royal<dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:

>On 3 Jan 2024 19:05:01 -0000 Philip Herlihy wrote:
>>In article <9habpi9sdmiggg79cnng41qdmclg2gdh0d@4ax.com>, micky wrote...
>>>
>>> What does it mean when it says "No internet, secured"??? It had internet
>>> 45 minutes ago, when I left to make a phone call.
>>>
>>> It must be connected because the button is labeled Disconnect.
>>>
>>> I tried both the regular wifi and the one with -5G. Will their
>>> passwords be the same??? (I'm at my brother's so I don't know.)
>>>

>>> I had to switch to my phone which told me today I'm up to 80% of my
>>> monthly quota and they will slow the rate soon. ;-(
>>
>>What that means is that you have a Wi-Fi connection to the router, which is
>>secured (using a key) but that the router has lost its connection to the
>>Internet (or, rarely, is blocking your Wi-Fi connection to the Internet). Very
>>often a router will sort itself out,

I've gotten this at home, and I just try again and usually it works.

>> but you may like to restart the router
>>(once) to nudge it into seeking a fresh Internet connection.

I have restarted the router a couple times over the y ears, but I don't
even know where this one is, and my brother would snap at me if I
restarted it, even if he wasn't doing anything at the time. I'd have to
ask and he's ask why, and I'd explain, and he'd say, I don't know
anything about that. Easier to go to the phone.

>> The server may be
>>down, so it may not come back instantly. Chances are it'll have come back by
>>the time you read this!

Maybe it did, but I'm using the phone now, and I'm sticking with a
winner. Next time I connect, I'll try the home wifi again.

>>5G is a cellular protocol, not Wi-Fi, so the connection would be authenticated
>>by the mobile's SIM. You may be thinking of 5GHZ, which is a faster (but
>>slightly shorter-range) wireless protocol than the older 2.4GHz. The passwords
>>might well be the same, but as they are configurable they might have been set
>>differently by the router's owner. In any event, you've successfully connected
>>over Wi-Fi already, so that's not the issue.
>
>I think he's referring to 5Ghz wifi.
>
>Micky: The passwords are usually the same.

Yes, 5G wifi. Neither my brother or sil would have gone out of their
way to do something fancy, although I admit someone changed the password
from the gobbledygook it might have come with to a name,

FriedaBush.

My nephew is from Texas and speaks Spanish fluently. His wife is from
Peru and speaks English pretty well, and I'm positive she'll get better.
He told me the password and pronounced it Freeda so I spelled it Freda
or Freeda.
She told me the second time and pronouced it Free-eyda, so I spelled
it right. ;-) But then when I had to reconnect, i had the problem
above.

Re: No internet, secured

<kvn7tdF5g6tU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77387&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77387

From: usenet@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 09:17:49 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 08:17 UTC

micky, 2024-01-03 19:49:

> What does it mean when it says "No internet, secured"??? It had internet
> 45 minutes ago, when I left to make a phone call.

That means, that you have WiFi but no internet access using that WiFi.

[...]
> I tried both the regular wifi and the one with -5G. Will their
> passwords be the same??? (I'm at my brother's so I don't know.)

No, 5G has nothing to do with WiFi.

But if your device has WiFi calling enabled *and* you are often
connected to a WiFi network which does not have internet access, this
may explain why you miss calls from time to time.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: No internet, secured

<kvndjjF6e8sU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77390&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77390

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 09:55:00 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 09:55 UTC

Arno Welzel wrote:

> micky wrote:
>
>> I tried both the regular wifi and the one with -5G.
>
> No, 5G has nothing to do with WiFi.

5G doesn't, but (as I'm sure you're aware) 5GHz does.

Re: No internet, secured

<un62pr$3ke4s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77391&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77391

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 11:54:51 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:54 UTC

On 04.01.24 10:55, Andy Burns wrote:
> Arno Welzel wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>
>>> I tried both the regular wifi and the one with -5G.
>>
>> No, 5G has nothing to do with WiFi.
>
> 5G doesn't, but (as I'm sure you're aware) 5GHz does.

Wifi-Router that use 5G or 4G as connection to the internet are very
popular in many places. I used one in France during vacation two years ago.

--
Sent with Betterbird by a Penguin.
Simply better. www.betterbird.eu

Re: No internet, secured

<un679r$3l6el$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77392&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77392

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 07:11:41 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 12:11 UTC

On 1/4/2024 5:54 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> On 04.01.24 10:55, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Arno Welzel wrote:

>>> No, 5G has nothing to do with WiFi.
>>
>> 5G doesn't, but (as I'm sure you're aware) 5GHz does.
>
> Wifi-Router that use 5G or 4G as connection to the internet are very
> popular in many places. I used one in France during vacation two years ago.

But that device usually has a different name.

"Hotspot" "Tethering"

https://support.google.com/android/answer/9059108?hl=en

These contains some words about the telco side, as well
as the flavor of Wifi 6/6e provided.

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-mobile-hotspots

Paul

Re: No internet, secured

<fdidpipicuu77q5ugtj5v68nhp1nrnj78e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77394&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77394

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 10:10:00 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 15:10 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 4 Jan 2024 09:17:49 +0100, Arno Welzel
<usenet@arnowelzel.de> wrote:

>micky, 2024-01-03 19:49:
>
>> What does it mean when it says "No internet, secured"??? It had internet
>> 45 minutes ago, when I left to make a phone call.
>
>That means, that you have WiFi but no internet access using that WiFi.
>
>[...]
>> I tried both the regular wifi and the one with -5G. Will their
>> passwords be the same??? (I'm at my brother's so I don't know.)
>
>No, 5G has nothing to do with WiFi.

I just meant that the name of the wifi ended in -5G, like verizon23 and
verizon23-5G

>But if your device has WiFi calling enabled *and* you are often
>connected to a WiFi network which does not have internet access, this
>may explain why you miss calls from time to time.

For another reason I tried to turn on wifi calling and couldn't figure
out where to do that. Or maybe it's on now. I looked in the
window-shade options and the Settings and saw no reference to it.

FWIW a Xioami phone, I forget the model.

Re: No internet, secured

<un6m2h$3n0fk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77395&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77395

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:23:45 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:23 UTC

Am 04.01.24 um 13:11 schrieb Paul:
> On 1/4/2024 5:54 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>>> 5G doesn't, but (as I'm sure you're aware) 5GHz does.
>>
>> Wifi-Router that use 5G or 4G as connection to the internet are very
>> popular in many places. I used one in France during vacation two years ago.
>>

> But that device usually has a different name.
>
> "Hotspot" "Tethering"

https://daskannwas.ch/tests/so-einfach-geht-heim-internet-ueber-5g/

The word router is used. Hotspot or tethering is absolutely irrelevant
because the wifi-part ist alway the same.

The German name WLAN (Wireless LAN) is much more precise than the
english wifi.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: No internet, secured

<mh2epih1uof2pbeijstuof1t2efatrgfr9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77400&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77400

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 13:44:02 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 19:44 UTC

On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 10:10:00 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>For another reason I tried to turn on wifi calling and couldn't figure
>out where to do that. Or maybe it's on now. I looked in the
>window-shade options and the Settings and saw no reference to it.
>
>FWIW a Xioami phone, I forget the model.

On my Samsung Galaxy S20FE, WiFi Calling is located in Settings, Connections,
immediately below the WiFi settings. Maybe yours is similar.

Re: No internet, secured

<tdjj6kxj9j.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77405&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77405

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:09:49 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 21:09 UTC

On 2024-01-04 13:11, Paul wrote:
> On 1/4/2024 5:54 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>>> 5G doesn't, but (as I'm sure you're aware) 5GHz does.
>>
>> Wifi-Router that use 5G or 4G as connection to the internet are very
>> popular in many places. I used one in France during vacation two years ago.
>>

> But that device usually has a different name.
>
> "Hotspot" "Tethering"

No. Mine (at a different location) is just "the router". Only the owner
knows that the router has a SIM inside and that there is no cable to the
house.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: No internet, secured

<un7796$3prn3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77406&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77406

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:17:26 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 21:17 UTC

Am 04.01.24 um 22:09 schrieb Carlos E.R.:
> On 2024-01-04 13:11, Paul wrote:

>>> Wifi-Router that use 5G or 4G as connection to the internet are very
>>> popular in many places. I used one in France during vacation two years ago.
>>>

>> But that device usually has a different name.
>>
>> "Hotspot" "Tethering"
>
> No. Mine (at a different location) is just "the router". Only the owner
> knows that the router has a SIM inside and that there is no cable to the
> house.

+1

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: No internet, secured

<qedepi9drdek2gj3c0pefbe7d6i04mdke3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77408&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77408

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 17:59:00 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:59 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 04 Jan 2024 13:44:02 -0600, Char Jackson
<none@none.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 10:10:00 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>>For another reason I tried to turn on wifi calling and couldn't figure
>>out where to do that. Or maybe it's on now. I looked in the
>>window-shade options and the Settings and saw no reference to it.
>>
>>FWIW a Xioami phone, I forget the model.
>
>On my Samsung Galaxy S20FE, WiFi Calling is located in Settings, Connections,
>immediately below the WiFi settings. Maybe yours is similar.

Thanks. That didn't work. And I guess I hve to google, with the word
xioami, so I did and the first two didn't work.

I know th is doesn't affect many people here and I'm only printing it
because it's amazing. I haven't tried it yet.
A reddit guy said:
These are the steps I did to be able to enable wifi calling on Mint
Mobile with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro:

Call *#*#869434#*#*

It will say something like " VoWifi carrier check was disabled "

Restart the phone.

Go to SIM settings, pick the mint** sim and activate Wifi Calling (it
didn't appear before doing these settings). **Since this is a mint
reddit.

!!!!
More than one person said it worked for them too.

What does he mean by *#*# and #*#*? those very keys on the keypad? YES
he does, becaue I didn't even have to tap "Dial". just putting those
symbols and numbers in got the message "VoWifi carrier check was
disabled". Now I'm restarting. Well, I dont' think it worked for me,
even though I have the same model he does. Oh, well.

Re: No internet, secured

<7ceepihhvvbvusbuomae17e5f0tca6ua4r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77409&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77409

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 18:05:52 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 23:05 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 04 Jan 2024 17:59:00 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 04 Jan 2024 13:44:02 -0600, Char Jackson
><none@none.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 10:10:00 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>>For another reason I tried to turn on wifi calling and couldn't figure
>>>out where to do that. Or maybe it's on now. I looked in the
>>>window-shade options and the Settings and saw no reference to it.
>>>
>>>FWIW a Xioami phone, I forget the model.
>>
>>On my Samsung Galaxy S20FE, WiFi Calling is located in Settings, Connections,
>>immediately below the WiFi settings. Maybe yours is similar.
>
>Thanks. That didn't work. And I guess I hve to google, with the word
>xioami, so I did and the first two didn't work.
>
>I know th is doesn't affect many people here and I'm only printing it
>because it's amazing. I haven't tried it yet.
>A reddit guy said:
> These are the steps I did to be able to enable wifi calling on Mint
>Mobile with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro:
>
>Call *#*#869434#*#*

But it worked with *#*#86583#*#* !!! And like I said, you don't have
to call, only enter the symbols and numbers into the line.

How could I ever figure this out without other helpful users!!

>It will say something like " VoWifi carrier check was disabled "
>
>Restart the phone.
>
>Go to SIM settings, pick the mint** sim and activate Wifi Calling (it
>didn't appear before doing these settings). **Since this is a mint
>reddit.
>

>!!!!
>More than one person said it worked for them too.
>
>What does he mean by *#*# and #*#*? those very keys on the keypad? YES
>he does, becaue I didn't even have to tap "Dial". just putting those
>symbols and numbers in got the message "VoWifi carrier check was
>disabled". Now I'm restarting. Well, I dont' think it worked for me,
>even though I have the same model he does. Oh, well.

Re: No internet, secured

<epnepiluvjv47mq5f3l63n29kvjv9u2a00@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77416&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77416

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 19:46:46 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 01:46 UTC

On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 18:05:52 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 04 Jan 2024 17:59:00 -0500, micky
><NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>>In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 04 Jan 2024 13:44:02 -0600, Char Jackson
>><none@none.invalid> wrote:

>>>On my Samsung Galaxy S20FE, WiFi Calling is located in Settings, Connections,
>>>immediately below the WiFi settings. Maybe yours is similar.
>>
>>Thanks. That didn't work. And I guess I hve to google, with the word
>>xioami, so I did and the first two didn't work.
>>
>>I know th is doesn't affect many people here and I'm only printing it
>>because it's amazing. I haven't tried it yet.
>>A reddit guy said:
>> These are the steps I did to be able to enable wifi calling on Mint
>>Mobile with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro:
>>
>>Call *#*#869434#*#*
>
>But it worked with *#*#86583#*#* !!! And like I said, you don't have
>to call, only enter the symbols and numbers into the line.
>
>How could I ever figure this out without other helpful users!!

If you're bored, you can try a few of these codes, or use Google to find others.

The 57 Best Android Secret Codes of 2024
https://www.lifewire.com/android-secret-codes-7100400

Re: No internet, secured

<un7sfb$6os$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77417&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77417

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:19:08 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 03:19 UTC

On 1/4/2024 8:46 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 18:05:52 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 04 Jan 2024 17:59:00 -0500, micky
>> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks. That didn't work. And I guess I hve to google, with the word
>>> xioami, so I did and the first two didn't work.
>>>
>>> I know th is doesn't affect many people here and I'm only printing it
>>> because it's amazing. I haven't tried it yet.
>>> A reddit guy said:
>>> These are the steps I did to be able to enable wifi calling on Mint
>>> Mobile with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro:
>>>
>>> Call *#*#869434#*#*
>>
>> But it worked with *#*#86583#*#* !!! And like I said, you don't have
>> to call, only enter the symbols and numbers into the line.
>>
>> How could I ever figure this out without other helpful users!!
>
> If you're bored, you can try a few of these codes, or use Google to find others.
>
> The 57 Best Android Secret Codes of 2024
> https://www.lifewire.com/android-secret-codes-7100400

Presumably designed like these codes. If only the phone
had a game-controller. Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami_Code

Paul

Re: No internet, secured

<283fpi91itc8ibrppl8lfers772sibpe96@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77421&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77421

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 23:02:48 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 05:02 UTC

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:19:08 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 1/4/2024 8:46 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
>> If you're bored, you can try a few of these codes, or use Google to find others.
>>
>> The 57 Best Android Secret Codes of 2024
>> https://www.lifewire.com/android-secret-codes-7100400
>>

>Presumably designed like these codes. If only the phone
>had a game-controller. Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami_Code

I didn't know that one but Roku devices have secret menus that you access like
those, consisting of a bunch of Up-Down-Left-Right sequences.

Re: No internet, secured

<un8i36$3tco$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77426&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77426

Followup: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 09:28:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 09:28 UTC

On 04 Jan 2024 18:05:52 -0500 micky wrote:
>In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 04 Jan 2024 17:59:00 -0500, micky
><NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>

>But it worked with *#*#86583#*#* !!! And like I said, you don't have
>to call, only enter the symbols and numbers into the line.
>
>How could I ever figure this out without other helpful users!!

If you're going to use these codes it's good to understand the different
types. Some work everywhere, some work for a make or model of device, some
work for a particular operator or SIM.

This is rather old, but a good summary and probably still true:

What’s the difference between USSD, MMI and SS codes?
https://berlin.ccc.de/~tobias/mmi-ussd-ss-codes-explained.html
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: No internet, secured

<un8j5r$41sb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77427&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77427

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 09:46:35 +0000
 by: wasbit - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 09:46 UTC

On 04/01/2024 12:11, Paul wrote:
> On 1/4/2024 5:54 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>>> 5G doesn't, but (as I'm sure you're aware) 5GHz does.
>>
>> Wifi-Router that use 5G or 4G as connection to the internet are very
>> popular in many places. I used one in France during vacation two years ago.
>>

> But that device usually has a different name.
>
> "Hotspot" "Tethering"
>
> https://support.google.com/android/answer/9059108?hl=en
>
> These contains some words about the telco side, as well
> as the flavor of Wifi 6/6e provided.
>
> https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-mobile-hotspots

Perhaps you are not familiar with LTE routers that use a SIM card.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: No internet, secured

<un8jfj$4385$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77428&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77428

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 09:51:47 +0000
 by: wasbit - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 09:51 UTC

On 04/01/2024 21:09, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2024-01-04 13:11, Paul wrote:

>>> Wifi-Router that use 5G or 4G as connection to the internet are very
>>> popular in many places. I used one in France during vacation two
>>> years ago.
>>>

>> But that device usually has a different name.
>>
>> "Hotspot" "Tethering"
>
> No. Mine (at a different location) is just "the router". Only the owner
> knows that the router has a SIM inside and that there is no cable to the
> house.

+1
Except that 'only the owner' is a heck of a generalisation.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: No internet, secured

<un8lpc$445p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77429&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77429

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 11:31:08 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 10:31 UTC

On 05.01.24 10:46, wasbit wrote:
> On 04/01/2024 12:11, Paul wrote:

>>> Wifi-Router that use 5G or 4G as connection to the internet are very
>>> popular in many places. I used one in France during vacation two years ago.
>>>

>> But that device usually has a different name.
>>
>> "Hotspot" "Tethering"
>>
>> https://support.google.com/android/answer/9059108?hl=en
>>
>> These contains some words about the telco side, as well
>> as the flavor of Wifi 6/6e provided.
>>
>> https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-mobile-hotspots
>>

> Perhaps you are not familiar with LTE routers that use a SIM card.

Seems to be pretty obvious.

--
Sent with Betterbird by a Penguin.
Simply better. www.betterbird.eu

Re: No internet, secured

<kvq5shFlvcrU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77430&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77430

From: usenet@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 12:01:38 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 11:01 UTC

Andy Burns, 2024-01-04 10:55:

> Arno Welzel wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>
>>> I tried both the regular wifi and the one with -5G.
>>
>> No, 5G has nothing to do with WiFi.
>
> 5G doesn't, but (as I'm sure you're aware) 5GHz does.

Yes, I did not realize, that it was about WiFi with 5GHz.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: No internet, secured

<kvq6agFlvcrU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77431&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77431

From: usenet@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 12:09:05 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 11:09 UTC

Jörg Lorenz, 2024-01-04 17:23:

> Am 04.01.24 um 13:11 schrieb Paul:
[...]
> https://daskannwas.ch/tests/so-einfach-geht-heim-internet-ueber-5g/
>
> The word router is used. Hotspot or tethering is absolutely irrelevant
> because the wifi-part ist alway the same.
>
> The German name WLAN (Wireless LAN) is much more precise than the
> english wifi.

It's not a "German name". Neither "wireless" nor "local area network" is
"German". "Wireless LAN" or "wireless local area network" *is* the
official English term for that kind of network connections.

"WiFi" is an abbrevation for the slogan "Wireless Fidelity" originally
created by Interbrand, the company hired by the alliance which did
search for a more catchier name instead of "IEEE 802.11b". And
"wireless LAN" was also not "catchy" enough. So Interbrand created
"Wireless Fidelity" along with the "WiFi" logo and that became the
standard term similar to like using brand names like "Tempo" in Germany
for a hanky or "UHU" for glue.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de