You cannot have a science without measurement. -- R. W. Hamming

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

SubjectAuthor
* Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.micky
+- Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Frank Slootweg
+* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Peter Johnson
|+- Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Patrick
|+* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.kelown
||+* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.david
|||`* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.kelown
||| `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.david
|||  +* Can you test Android/Windows miccpy microphone mirroring please? (was: WhatsappAndrew
|||  |`* Re: Can you test Android/Windows miccpy microphone mirroring please?Andrew
|||  | `* Re: Can you test Android/Windows miccpy microphone mirroring please?Oscar Mayer
|||  |  `- Re: Can you test Android/Windows miccpy microphone mirroring please?Wolf Greenblatt
|||  `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.kelown
|||   `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.david
|||    `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.kelown
|||     `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Wolf Greenblatt
|||      `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.kelown
|||       `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Wolf Greenblatt
|||        `- Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.kelown
||`* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Zaidy036
|| +- Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Frankie
|| `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.kelown
||  +* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Zaidy036
||  |`- Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Indira
||  `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.micky
||   +- Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Indira
||   +- Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Paul
||   +- Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Ken Blake
||   `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Alan
||    `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.The Real Bev
||     `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.micky
||      `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Frank Slootweg
||       `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Paul
||        `* What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows? (was: Whatsapp on the PC, a greaAndrew
||         `* Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?Paul
||          `* Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?Andrew
||           `* Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?shemp13
||            `* Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?Andrew
||             `* Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?Paul
||              `* Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?Andrew
||               +* Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?Andy Burns
||               |`- Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?Andrew
||               `* Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?Paul
||                `* Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?Andy Burns
||                 `* Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?Paul
||                  `* Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?Char Jackson
||                   `* Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?Paul
||                    `- Re: What is an appref-ms file on Microsoft Windows?Char Jackson
|`* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Carlos E.R.
| +* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Peter Johnson
| |`* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Carlos E.R.
| | `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.micky
| |  `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.Carlos E.R.
| |   `- Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.micky
| `- Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.micky
`* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, no smartphone, no Microsoft accountfrank_n_2017
 `* Re: Whatsapp on the PC, no smartphone, no Microsoft accountPaul
  `- Re: Whatsapp on the PC, no smartphone, no Microsoft accountfrank_n_2017

Pages:123
Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<kf0qri5m3lep9vofofoopervst2i816t0p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77980&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77980

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.andrroid,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 10:01:46 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 15:01 UTC

I thought I was installing Whatsapp on my PC just because that one
airline insisted on my using it, but it turns out it's a really good
thing.

I pinned it to the taskbar, and now it shows a badge when I've gotten a
whatsapp message. And it shows the text of the text message that was
left. This should be good for everyone but it is especially good for
me, because I only turn the cellphone on when I leave the house, and not
always even then. (It probably required the phone to be on at one
point to transfer the text messages.)

And I presume I'll be able to use the mike and the speakers of the PC to
make whatsapp calls.

Installation on the PC is not straightforward compared to installing
other PC programs, but you guys can figure it out.

Thanks again, Frank.

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<upj574.8cc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77982&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77982

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.
Date: 2 Feb 2024 15:28:31 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 15:28 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> I thought I was installing Whatsapp on my PC just because that one
> airline insisted on my using it, but it turns out it's a really good
> thing.
>
> I pinned it to the taskbar, and now it shows a badge when I've gotten a
> whatsapp message. And it shows the text of the text message that was
> left. This should be good for everyone but it is especially good for
> me, because I only turn the cellphone on when I leave the house, and not
> always even then. (It probably required the phone to be on at one
> point to transfer the text messages.)
>
> And I presume I'll be able to use the mike and the speakers of the PC to
> make whatsapp calls.
>
> Installation on the PC is not straightforward compared to installing
> other PC programs, but you guys can figure it out.
>
> Thanks again, Frank.

You're welcome.

I fixed your typo 'comp.mobile.andrroid' (double-r), so this response
goes to the correct group. We wouldn't want our Swiss friend to miss
your praise of WhatsApp, would we now!? :-)

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<6n3qri158asu024ihf3v3kdtvfahpj2tg2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77984&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77984

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 15:53:31 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 15:53 UTC

On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 10:01:46 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>I thought I was installing Whatsapp on my PC just because that one
>airline insisted on my using it, but it turns out it's a really good
>thing.

PC/Android users can use any app on the PC by installing Phone Link on
the PC and activating it on the phone. I find it very useful under the
conditions you described. If I connected a microphone I could answer
and make phone calls via the PC. Doesn't work if you switch the phone
off though.

(Similar capabilities are available on Apple devices but I don't know
anything about them.)

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<upja7i$h65b$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77991&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77991

From: patrick@oleary.com (Patrick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 11:53:55 -0600
 by: Patrick - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:53 UTC

On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 15:53:31 +0000, Peter Johnson wrote:
> PC/Android users can use any app on the PC by installing Phone Link on
> the PC and activating it on the phone. I find it very useful under the
> conditions you described. If I connected a microphone I could answer
> and make phone calls via the PC. Doesn't work if you switch the phone
> off though.

I wonder how Microsoft/Samsung Phone Link differs with KDE Connect?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kde.kdeconnect_tp

KDE Connect provides a set of features to integrate your workflow
across devices:

Transfer files between your devices.
Access files on your phone from your computer, without wires.
Shared clipboard: copy and paste between your devices.
Get notifications for incoming calls and messages on your computer.
Virtual touchpad: Use your phone screen as your computer's touchpad.
Notifications sync: Access your phone notifications from your computer
and reply to messages.
Multimedia remote control: Use your phone as a remote for Linux
media players.
WiFi connection: no USB wire or bluetooth needed.
End-to-end TLS encryption: your information is safe.

Please note you will need to install KDE Connect on your computer for this
app to work, and keep the desktop version up-to-date with the Android
version for the latest features to work. https://kdeconnect.kde.org/
https://kdeconnect.kde.org/download.html
https://download.kde.org/Attic/release-service/23.08.1/windows/kdeconnect-kde-23.08.1-1463-windows-cl-msvc2019-x86_64.exe

Sensitive permissions information:
Accessibility permission: Required to receive input from another device
to control your Android phone, if you use the Remote Input feature.
Background location permission: Required to know to which WiFi network
you are connected to, if you use the Trusted Networks feature.

KDE Connect never sends any information to KDE nor to any third party.
KDE Connect sends data from one device to the other directly using the
local network, never through the internet, and using end to end encryption.

This app is part of an open source project and it exists thanks to all the
people who contributed to it. Visit the website to grab the source code.
https://userbase.kde.org/KDEConnect#Share_and_Receive

Here's a few things KDE Connect can do:

Receive your phone notifications on your desktop computer
and reply to messages
Control music playing on your desktop from your phone
Use your phone as a remote control for your desktop
Run predefined commands on your PC from connected devices.
See the list of example commands for more details.
The plugin silently synchronizes contacts, in vcard format,
from your phone to your desktop.
Check your phone's battery level from the desktop
Ring your phone to help find it
Share files and links between devices
Browse your phone from your desktop
Control the desktop's volume using your phone
Send SMS from your desktop

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<upjbtq$2n8qo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77993&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77993

From: kelown@privacy.invalid (kelown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 12:22:48 -0600
 by: kelown - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 18:22 UTC

> PC/Android users can use any app on the PC by installing Phone Link on
> the PC and activating it on the phone.

Can you elaborate on the Android apps integration with Windows Phone
Link? I use it to copy/paste text between my Android phone and Windows
laptop. I use Nox emulator to launch Android apps on my laptop, but it's
a bit clunky to use.

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<vuov8kxm4l.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77994&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77994

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:30:23 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 18:30 UTC

On 2024-02-02 16:53, Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 10:01:46 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I thought I was installing Whatsapp on my PC just because that one
>> airline insisted on my using it, but it turns out it's a really good
>> thing.
>
> PC/Android users can use any app on the PC by installing Phone Link on
> the PC and activating it on the phone. I find it very useful under the
> conditions you described. If I connected a microphone I could answer
> and make phone calls via the PC. Doesn't work if you switch the phone
> off though.
>
> (Similar capabilities are available on Apple devices but I don't know
> anything about them.)

But this tool requires the phone to be running, whereas the whatsapp app
(or the equivalent on the web browser) do not.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<upjh9t$1ckg9$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=77999&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#77999

From: this@is.invalid (david)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 12:54:38 -0700
 by: david - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:54 UTC

Using <news:upjbtq$2n8qo$1@dont-email.me>, kelown wrote:

>> PC/Android users can use any app on the PC by installing Phone Link on
>> the PC and activating it on the phone.
>
> Can you elaborate on the Android apps integration with Windows Phone
> Link?

I think Phone Link requires you to go through Microsoft Account servers.

> I use it to copy/paste text between my Android phone and Windows
> laptop.

With opensource scrcopy, you can copy & paste using both the Android
clipboard on Android & Windows & Windows clipboard on Windows & Android.
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/control-android-device-from-pc-using-scrcpy
https://www.smartprix.com/bytes/how-to-set-up-scrcpy-for-mirorring-phone-on-windows/
https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/how-to-use-scrcpy-to-control-android-phone-from-pc.html
https://www.xda-developers.com/free-android-mirroring-app-scrcpy-seamless-copy-paste-stay-awake/

You can get the open source clipboard management & mirroring here.
https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy

It focuses on:
lightness: native, displays only the device screen
performance: 30~120fps, depending on the device
quality: 1920�1080 or above
low latency: 35~70ms
low startup time: ~1 second to display the first image
non-intrusiveness: nothing is left installed on the Android device
user benefits: no account, no ads, no internet required
freedom: free and open source software

Its features include:
audio forwarding (Android 11+)
recording
mirroring with Android device screen off
copy-paste in both directions
configurable quality
camera mirroring (Android 12+)
mirroring as a webcam (V4L2) (Linux-only)
physical keyboard/mouse simulation (HID)
OTG mode and more

A lot of people use the scrcopy features when their USB debugging is off
and they accidentally break their touch screen. This controls the phone.
https://www.xda-developers.com/scrcpy-update-keyboard-mouse-passthrough/

> I use Nox emulator to launch Android apps on my laptop, but it's
> a bit clunky to use.

Looking that up is confusing because there's a "Nox player" and a "Nox
emulator" and a whole bunch of web sites claiming to be "it" for each.

"NoxPlayer, the perfect Android emulator to play mobile games on PC"
https://www.bignox.com/

"Get ready to play your favorite android games on your Windows PC and Mac
on one of the most robust android emulators."
https://noxofficial.com/

"Nox App Player has got tons of fantastic features to make your Android
experience easy and smooth on the big screen of your Windows PC/Laptop. In
fact, the user interface of the Nox Emulator is impeccably clean and tidy
with each functionality quick and easy to access. There�s been a long
battle going on in terms of comparison between Bluestacks and Nox Player."
https://noxemulator.org/

"NoxPlayer is a free Android emulator that lets you play Android games and
apps on Windows or Mac."
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6751-nox-app-player.html

"Nox App Player is one of the best Android emulators out there in the
market which lets you turn your PC to an Android interface. You will be
able to install Android games and applications on your PC or Computer using
NOX Emulator."
https://noxemulator.org/download/

Which of those (or others) are the official download to test out?

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<upk169$2qnet$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78007&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78007

From: kelown@privacy.invalid (kelown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 18:25:42 -0600
 by: kelown - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 00:25 UTC

>>> PC/Android users can use any app on the PC by installing Phone Link on
>>> the PC and activating it on the phone.
>>
>> Can you elaborate on the Android apps integration with Windows Phone
>> Link?
>
> I think Phone Link requires you to go through Microsoft Account servers.
>
>> I use it to copy/paste text between my Android phone and Windows laptop.
>
> With opensource scrcopy, you can copy & paste using both the Android
> clipboard on Android & Windows & Windows clipboard on Windows & Android.

PC Phone Link copy/paste is bi-directional between Android and Windows.
PC Phone Link feels more naturally integrated between the devices than
Scrcopy. But I used Scrcopy for mirroring, not copy/paste.

>> I use Nox emulator to launch Android apps on my laptop, but it's a bit
>> clunky to use.
>
> Looking that up is confusing because there's a "Nox player" and a "Nox
> emulator" and a whole bunch of web sites claiming to be "it" for each.
>
> "NoxPlayer, the perfect Android emulator to play mobile games on PC"
> https://www.bignox.com/
> "Get ready to play your favorite android games on your Windows PC and Mac
> on one of the most robust android emulators."
> https://noxofficial.com/
>
> "Nox App Player has got tons of fantastic features to make your Android
> experience easy and smooth on the big screen of your Windows PC/Laptop. In
> fact, the user interface of the Nox Emulator is impeccably clean and tidy
> with each functionality quick and easy to access. There�s been a long
> battle going on in terms of comparison between Bluestacks and Nox Player."
> https://noxemulator.org/
>
> "NoxPlayer is a free Android emulator that lets you play Android games and
> apps on Windows or Mac."
> https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6751-nox-app-player.html
>
> "Nox App Player is one of the best Android emulators out there in the
> market which lets you turn your PC to an Android interface. You will be
> able to install Android games and applications on your PC or Computer using
> NOX Emulator."
> https://noxemulator.org/download/
>
> Which of those (or others) are the official download to test out?

My Nox.exe shortcut launches NoxPlayer1 7.0.5.8. I'm emulating the
Samsung Galaxy S8+, Android 7.

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<upk3am$2r09m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78008&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78008

From: Zaidy036@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 20:02:14 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 01:02 UTC

On 2/2/2024 1:22 PM, kelown wrote:

>> PC/Android users can use any app on the PC by installing Phone Link on
>> the PC and activating it on the phone.
>
> Can you elaborate on the Android apps integration with Windows Phone
> Link? I use it to copy/paste text between my Android phone and Windows
> laptop. I use Nox emulator to launch Android apps on my laptop, but it's
> a bit clunky to use.

what is wrong with using Dropbox so files are automatically synced
between devices?

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<upketu$1dp3d$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78009&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78009

From: this@is.invalid (david)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 21:20:15 -0700
 by: david - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 04:20 UTC

Using <news:upk169$2qnet$1@dont-email.me>, kelown wrote:

>> With opensource scrcopy, you can copy & paste using both the Android
>> clipboard on Android & Windows & Windows clipboard on Windows & Android.
>
> PC Phone Link copy/paste is bi-directional between Android and Windows.

Since you use scrcpy (and maybe even sndcpy) to mirror Android screen &
sound onto Windows with full keyboard & mouse use, you already know this.
https://github.com/rom1v/sndcpy & https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy

But the others might not know that scrcopy & sndcopy don't need you to
create a Microsoft Account, while I think that the PC Phone Link does.

> PC Phone Link feels more naturally integrated between the devices than
> Scrcopy. But I used Scrcopy for mirroring, not copy/paste.

I never felt control+C/control+V is unnatural, nor a rightclick copy/paste.
Even snapping screenshots of Android on Windows is intuitive for me to use.

You can even copy and paste images using scrcopy as documented here.
https://scrcpy.org/
"It lets you copy and paste text and images between your computer and your
Android device."

What I didn't like about the 'Phone Link' Windows/Samsung collaboration
(it has changed ownership and names a lot over time) was the requirement to
create the Microsoft Account - which I considered completely unnecessary.

It has been years since I had last tested it and failed it for that reason.
Does the Microsoft/Samsung phone mirroring still require that MS Account?

>>> I use Nox emulator to launch Android apps on my laptop, but it's a bit
>>> clunky to use.
>>
>> Looking that up is confusing because there's a "Nox player" and a "Nox
>> emulator" and a whole bunch of web sites claiming to be "it" for each.
>> Which of those (or others) are the official download to test out?
>
> My Nox.exe shortcut launches NoxPlayer1 7.0.5.8.
> I'm emulating the Samsung Galaxy S8+, Android 7.

Emulation works great for executing Android apps on Windows, where I've
tested all the Android emulators andyroid, arm, bluestacks, genymotion,
google (via Android Studio), ko, memu, microsoft (died long ago) & nox.

They each are so very different that it's surprising how temperamental an
emulator can be when they all do (at the top level) exactly the same task.

I'm sure WhatsApp probably works on most of those Android emulators where
an advantage of screen copy is you can make POTS phone calls using the PC.

Given how mercurial each emulator is, if you've got Nox working, I would
take that as a recommendation that it will run WhatsApp well for the OP.

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<upkg8g$2hls$1@neodome.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78010&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78010

From: frankie@nospam.usa (Frankie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 22:42:56 -0600
 by: Frankie - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 04:42 UTC

On 2/2/2024, Zaidy036 wrote:

>>> PC/Android users can use any app on the PC by installing Phone Link on
>>> the PC and activating it on the phone.
>>
>> Can you elaborate on the Android apps integration with Windows Phone
>> Link? I use it to copy/paste text between my Android phone and Windows
>> laptop. I use Nox emulator to launch Android apps on my laptop, but it's
>> a bit clunky to use.
>>
> what is wrong with using Dropbox so files are automatically synced
> between devices?

That question is non sensical in the context of managing your phone on your
PC over Wi-Fi where it would be inconsistent with what Dropbox does to be
copying and pasting between someone else's machine and your PC & Android.

There are tens of thousands of things wrong with the terrible Dropbox use
model, but the most obvious of which is it doesn't run WhatsApp on the PC.

Can you test Android/Windows miccpy microphone mirroring please? (was: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.)

<upkj88$1fs6$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78016&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78016

From: andrew@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Can you test Android/Windows miccpy microphone mirroring please? (was: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.)
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 05:34:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andrew - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 05:34 UTC

david wrote on Fri, 2 Feb 2024 21:20:15 -0700 :

> Since you use scrcpy (and maybe even sndcpy) to mirror Android screen &
> sound onto Windows with full keyboard & mouse use, you already know this.
> https://github.com/rom1v/sndcpy & https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy

With scrcpy & sndcpy you have everything but the microphone to make/receive
POTS/WhatsApp calls over Wi-Fi on the PC with your phone in your pocket.

I just googled for a "miccpy" capability of Android onto Windows because
that's the only missing element to work the entire phone on the PC monitor.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=miccpy+android+windows

This was one of the hits in that search for casting the mic onto Windows.
https://github.com/teamclouday/AndroidMic
"Use your Android phone as a microphone to Windows PC"

Here's an image of the PC side of the microphone cast to the Windows PC.
https://github.com/teamclouday/AndroidMic/blob/main/Assets/p1.png

And here's an image of the Android side of casting the mic over to Windows.
https://github.com/teamclouday/AndroidMic/blob/main/Assets/p2.png

Here's the Android and Windows installers for casting the mic to the PC.
https://github.com/teamclouday/AndroidMic/releases
https://github.com/teamclouday/AndroidMic/releases/download/2.0.0/release.zip
.\Android\microphone.apk (10,707,199 bytes)
.\Windows\setup.exe (559,616 bytes)

I installed the Android APK and the Windows setup, but my old Win10 desktop
PC doesn't have a Wi-Fi card, nor does it have any Bluetooth capability.

(Side note is the Android app can record call audio, which is also useful.)

But if this works, the phone & PC would be one and the same at all times,
since you would be able to make & receive phone calls on the PC with the
phone itself only needing to be on the Wi-Fi LAN within Bluetooth range.

So it has immense value to everyone who does have a Wi-Fi & bluetooth PC.

Can someone with BT & Wi-Fi test how well that Android mic works on a PC?
https://github.com/teamclouday/AndroidMic/tree/main?tab=readme-ov-file#readme

Re: Can you test Android/Windows miccpy microphone mirroring please?

<upkre9$1a70$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78022&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78022

From: andrew@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Can you test Android/Windows miccpy microphone mirroring please?
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 07:53:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:IUV7vRYaw1f/9Ltw+QzEgbfTxjU= sha256:U8t4Lu2WVQop7LZpSlwbZso+scO7ooGi6pOgdvIwcXs=
 by: Andrew - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 07:53 UTC

In article <news:upkj88$1fs6$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>, Andrew
<andrew@spam.net> wrote:

> So it has immense value to everyone who does have a Wi-Fi & bluetooth PC.
>
> Can someone with BT & Wi-Fi test how well that Android mic works on a PC?
> https://github.com/teamclouday/AndroidMic/tree/main?tab=readme-ov-file#readme

This capability has extraordinary value to users because the microphone is
the last thing that Android needs to make the phone and PC one and the same
device. Both apps installed in mere seconds after unzipping the zip file.
https://github.com/teamclouday/AndroidMic/releases/download/2.0.0/release.zip

1. I installed the "setup.exe" on Windows & up popped the Windows GUI.
2. I installed the "microphone.apk" on Android & up popped the Android GUI.
AndroidMic microphone.apk [com.example.androidMic, Version 2.0 (9)]

Now what?
https://i.postimg.cc/52Jq5QwS/androidmic1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/RhcJqGb5/androidmic2.jpg

If we can get the microphone working, it would be one of the best things
that ever happened to Android & Windows working together since the entire
phone would instantly be useable on Windows as a real (POTS) phone.

I don't have Wi-Fi nor Bluetooth on my old desktop. But I have USB.
It says it works with any or all of that (based on the GUI anyway).

It only takes a minute to run the two installers to test it out.
Since this is so important, can you try it out quickly and let me know?

Is it just my (admittedly deficient) Windows desktop hardware?
Does it work for yours?

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<upkrld$31tr0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78023&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78023

From: kelown@privacy.invalid (kelown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 01:57:31 -0600
 by: kelown - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 07:57 UTC

>>> PC/Android users can use any app on the PC by installing Phone Link on
>>> the PC and activating it on the phone.
>>
>> Can you elaborate on the Android apps integration with Windows Phone
>> Link? I use it to copy/paste text between my Android phone and Windows
>> laptop. I use Nox emulator to launch Android apps on my laptop, but
>> it's a bit clunky to use.
>>
> what is wrong with using Dropbox so files are automatically synced
> between devices?

I am not interested in synchronizing files between my Android and PC. I
was discussing the automatic copy/paste of text between my Android and
Windows laptop, and the possibility of running Android apps on my
Windows laptop.

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<upkskk$3228t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78024&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78024

From: kelown@privacy.invalid (kelown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 02:14:09 -0600
 by: kelown - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 08:14 UTC

> Since you use scrcpy (and maybe even sndcpy) to mirror Android screen &
> sound onto Windows with full keyboard & mouse use, you already know this.
> https://github.com/rom1v/sndcpy & https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy

I rarely mirror anymore between my Android and PC. And I usually do so
using TeamViewer, not Scrcpy.

> But the others might not know that scrcopy & sndcopy don't need you to
> create a Microsoft Account, while I think that the PC Phone Link does.

I've had my Microsoft Account for years, so it's not an issue.

>> PC Phone Link feels more naturally integrated between the devices than
>> Scrcopy. But I used Scrcopy for mirroring, not copy/paste.

> Does the Microsoft/Samsung phone mirroring still require that MS Account?

I only use TeamViewer for mirroring. And I rarely mirror anyway now. My
original focus was on copy/paste text between Android and PC.

>> My Nox.exe shortcut launches NoxPlayer1 7.0.5.8. I'm emulating the
>> Samsung Galaxy S8+, Android 7.
>
> Emulation works great for executing Android apps on Windows, where I've
> tested all the Android emulators andyroid, arm, bluestacks, genymotion,
> google (via Android Studio), ko, memu, microsoft (died long ago) & nox.
>
> I'm sure WhatsApp probably works on most of those Android emulators where
> an advantage of screen copy is you can make POTS phone calls using the PC.
>
> Given how mercurial each emulator is, if you've got Nox working, I would
> take that as a recommendation that it will run WhatsApp well for the OP.

I'm not interested in using WhatsApp. I use the emulator mostly for some
non-Windows games, a non-Windows wallet, and for viewing non-Windows
IPTV streaming apps.

Re: Can you test Android/Windows miccpy microphone mirroring please?

<upksvr$323sf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78025&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78025

From: nobody@oscarmayer.com (Oscar Mayer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 03:20:11 -0500
 by: Oscar Mayer - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 08:20 UTC

On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 07:53:46 -0000 (UTC), Andrew wrote:

> In article <news:upkj88$1fs6$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>, Andrew
> <andrew@spam.net> wrote:
>
>> So it has immense value to everyone who does have a Wi-Fi & bluetooth PC.
>>
>> Can someone with BT & Wi-Fi test how well that Android mic works on a PC?
>> https://github.com/teamclouday/AndroidMic/tree/main?tab=readme-ov-file#readme
>
> This capability has extraordinary value to users because the microphone is
> the last thing that Android needs to make the phone and PC one and the same
> device. Both apps installed in mere seconds after unzipping the zip file.
> https://github.com/teamclouday/AndroidMic/releases/download/2.0.0/release.zip
>
> 1. I installed the "setup.exe" on Windows & up popped the Windows GUI.
> 2. I installed the "microphone.apk" on Android & up popped the Android GUI.
> AndroidMic microphone.apk [com.example.androidMic, Version 2.0 (9)]
>
> Now what?
> https://i.postimg.cc/52Jq5QwS/androidmic1.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/RhcJqGb5/androidmic2.jpg
>
> If we can get the microphone working, it would be one of the best things
> that ever happened to Android & Windows working together since the entire
> phone would instantly be useable on Windows as a real (POTS) phone.
>
> I don't have Wi-Fi nor Bluetooth on my old desktop. But I have USB.
> It says it works with any or all of that (based on the GUI anyway).
>
> It only takes a minute to run the two installers to test it out.
> Since this is so important, can you try it out quickly and let me know?
>
> Is it just my (admittedly deficient) Windows desktop hardware?
> Does it work for yours?

If all that's needed is for Android to be the microphone for the PC, then
there should be apps on the Google Play Store that do that for the PC.

Maybe this?
https://micstream.io/ "Your Android as a PC standalone microphone"

The Windows installer is here.
https://micstream.io/micstream-setup-x64.exe

The Android installer is here.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.totech.phoneasmic

How it works
Our Windows client creates a virtual microphone on the PC.
Select this mic in other applications (Skype, Zoom, etc.) as your input
device.
Done! The app now streams into this virtual mic.

Features
Superb audio quality - up to 32 Bit and 48 khz
Ultra low-latency - less than 10 milliseconds on flagship devices using USB
No Ads and free to use

Instructions
On your PC:

Download and install the Windows Client using the above link
Start the Client
On your Android phone:
Download the MicStream App
Connect using either USB or Wifi

Micstream - Virtual PC Mic
About this app
Why spend money on a USB microphone? Unlock the full potential of your
Android by turning it into a professional PC mic. Micstream lets you use
your phone or tablet as an audio input device for your Windows PC. Works
with USB and Wifi.

Effortless Setup:

1. Download the Micstream client from micstream.io
2. Select Micstream as your PC input device
3. Launch the app and connect to your PC
4. Start streaming!

Your phone is now a standalone PC microphone - just like one you would buy
in the store!

Key Benefits
* Save Money: No need to purchase expensive standalone microphones
* Ultimate Convenience: Use your smartphone as a professional-grade PC mic
* High-Quality Audio: Capture crisp, clear sound for podcasts,
gaming, video-calls, voiceovers, and more
* Customized Windows Driver: Use it just like a real hardware PC mic
in any application (Zoom, Discord, Games, etc.)

Core Features
* Ad-free experience
* USB and WiFi compatibility
* Automatic PC client discovery
* High-quality, low-latency Opus codec
* Stereo recording on supported devices
* Customized Windows audio driver
* Built with Oboe C++ for maximum performance

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<upkuhu$1eb96$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78027&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78027

From: this@is.invalid (david)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 01:46:54 -0700
 by: david - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 08:46 UTC

Using <news:upkskk$3228t$1@dont-email.me>, kelown wrote:

>> Since you use scrcpy (and maybe even sndcpy) to mirror Android screen &
>> sound onto Windows with full keyboard & mouse use, you already know this.
>> https://github.com/rom1v/sndcpy & https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy
>
> I rarely mirror anymore between my Android and PC.
> And I usually do so using TeamViewer, not Scrcpy.

An advantage of TeamViewer and Vysor is they also work across networks.
https://www.vysor.io/download/

What I don't like about Vysor is they charge for higher resolution.
With scrcpy you're stuck on your local network, but with high resolution.

I wonder how TeamViewer compares to Microsoft Remote Desktop mirroring?
https://aka.ms/rdsetup & https://aka.ms/rdclients

They talk about "Azure" but I don't know what that really means. Do you?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.rdc.androidx
>> But the others might not know that scrcopy & sndcopy don't need you to
>> create a Microsoft Account, while I think that the PC Phone Link does.
>
> I've had my Microsoft Account for years, so it's not an issue.

But the account is not needed. Whenever they force an account on you for a
functionality that has no need for that account, something is very fishy.
>>> PC Phone Link feels more naturally integrated between the devices than
>>> Scrcopy. But I used Scrcopy for mirroring, not copy/paste.
>
>> Does the Microsoft/Samsung phone mirroring still require that MS Account?
>
> I only use TeamViewer for mirroring. And I rarely mirror anyway now. My
> original focus was on copy/paste text between Android and PC.

For something that simple as copying & pasting between Android & Windows, I
use scrcpy but they make apps just for copy/paste between Windows & the PC.

Searching, I found this, but I would not use it as it requires an account.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=za.co.canobakedbeans.instacopy
"Copy text from your PC to your Smart device's clipboard, and Paste text
from your device's clipboard to your PC, instantly! (You do need to be
signed in to your Google Account on your device since the application uses
Google Cloud Messaging)"

Running another search for you, this doesn't seem to require any signin.
"Ever wanted to copy paste text from Android to Windows, from Windows to
Android or from Android to Android? ClipSync does it all.
You can download ClipSync Server at http://bdwm.be/cs"

This seems to be the simplest way to sync clipboards across all your
Android devices and Windows on your local LAN without needing a login.
http://bdwm.be/cs
https://clipsync.bdwm.be/
https://clipsync.bdwm.be/setup
https://clipsync.bdwm.be/ClipSyncServer3.msi
Name: ClipSyncServer3.msi
Size: 923136 bytes (901 KiB)
SHA256: 7417F6BB137ABB331EC5176F0152B7729787E92D667E99FF0A26FBF514BCB37A

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=be.bdwm.clipsync

>>> My Nox.exe shortcut launches NoxPlayer1 7.0.5.8. I'm emulating the
>>> Samsung Galaxy S8+, Android 7.
>>
>> Given how mercurial each emulator is, if you've got Nox working, I would
>> take that as a recommendation that it will run WhatsApp well for the OP.
>
> I'm not interested in using WhatsApp. I use the emulator mostly for some
> non-Windows games, a non-Windows wallet, and for viewing non-Windows
> IPTV streaming apps.

OK. But the sidethread is about using WhatsApp as if it's on the PC, where
you brought up emulation - not me. I was responding to what you brought up.

Re: Can you test Android/Windows miccpy microphone mirroring please?

<upkvld$e701$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78030&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78030

From: wolf@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 04:05:49 -0500
logging-data="465921"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 09:05 UTC

On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 03:20:11 -0500, Oscar Mayer wrote:

> The Windows installer is here.
> https://micstream.io/micstream-setup-x64.exe
>
> The Android installer is here.
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.totech.phoneasmic

If all you need to do is run the phone on the Windows PC as a real phone,
why not just use an app dedicated to allowing phone calls from the PC?

Here's just one of those apps which run the phone on the Windows PC.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fonelab.mirror.recorder

FoneLab Mirror is a free wireless screen mirroring app.

It helps you quickly and easily cast any content from your Android
phone to your computer or laptop without delay.

Let you no longer be limited by the screen size and enjoy playing with your
phone directly on a larger screen.

Meanwhile, you can perform screen recording, and control your Android phone
on the computer, and get more unexpected but convenient services.

Are you excited? Download and try it now. Key Features:
Mirror Android to PC via WI-FI: Cast phone screen to computer quickly by
connecting the 2 devices via Wi-Fi. The phone and computer will be
connected to the same WLAN when connected to the same router or hotspot.

Control Android from PC Easily: Use a mouse and keyboard to control your
Android phone from a computer, copy text from your computer's clipboard,
and paste it onto your phone.

Play Android Games on PC: With the game keyboard function, you can set up
key mapping and enjoy the pleasure of playing mobile games on your
computer.

Remote Presentation: After connecting to the PC, you can start presenting
the phone screen. You can type key points or draw the formula on your phone
and share the screen with the computer.

Take Recording and Screenshot: The phone app offers a recording function,
and you also can use the PC to capture the phone screen in real-time.

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<6hisri159jgp8fqdk2g1qhsnq7o4s7ako6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78036&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78036

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 14:15:33 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 14:15 UTC

On Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:30:23 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2024-02-02 16:53, Peter Johnson wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 10:01:46 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I thought I was installing Whatsapp on my PC just because that one
>>> airline insisted on my using it, but it turns out it's a really good
>>> thing.
>>
>> PC/Android users can use any app on the PC by installing Phone Link on
>> the PC and activating it on the phone. I find it very useful under the
>> conditions you described. If I connected a microphone I could answer
>> and make phone calls via the PC. Doesn't work if you switch the phone
>> off though.
>>
>> (Similar capabilities are available on Apple devices but I don't know
>> anything about them.)
>
>But this tool requires the phone to be running, whereas the whatsapp app
>(or the equivalent on the web browser) do not.

Yes, but on the off-chance that someone might want to call us most of
us don't switch our phones off.

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<m0129kxv0k.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78038&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78038

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:00:06 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:00 UTC

On 2024-02-03 15:15, Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:30:23 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2024-02-02 16:53, Peter Johnson wrote:

>>> PC/Android users can use any app on the PC by installing Phone Link on
>>> the PC and activating it on the phone. I find it very useful under the
>>> conditions you described. If I connected a microphone I could answer
>>> and make phone calls via the PC. Doesn't work if you switch the phone
>>> off though.
>>>
>>> (Similar capabilities are available on Apple devices but I don't know
>>> anything about them.)
>>
>> But this tool requires the phone to be running, whereas the whatsapp app
>> (or the equivalent on the web browser) do not.
>
> Yes, but on the off-chance that someone might want to call us most of
> us don't switch our phones off.

But specifically the OP does.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<uplojk$36fod$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78043&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78043

From: Zaidy036@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:11:32 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:11 UTC

On 2/3/2024 2:57 AM, kelown wrote:

>>> Can you elaborate on the Android apps integration with Windows Phone
>>> Link? I use it to copy/paste text between my Android phone and
>>> Windows laptop. I use Nox emulator to launch Android apps on my
>>> laptop, but it's a bit clunky to use.
>>>
>> what is wrong with using Dropbox so files are automatically synced
>> between devices?
>
> I am not interested in synchronizing files between my Android and PC. I
> was discussing the automatic copy/paste of text between my Android and
> Windows laptop, and the possibility of running Android apps on my
> Windows laptop.

I do not have Android devices to test but if you use Dropbox as the
working data location than half of your desire is satisfied. That is how
I see current data on my iPad and iPhone even though I usually work on
my Windows desktop for its easier to use keyboard and vision on a larger
display.

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<dgqsritft1p2oje62eecg8j0a78rsd68nr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78046&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78046

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 12:15:12 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:15 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:00:06 +0100, "Carlos
E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2024-02-03 15:15, Peter Johnson wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:30:23 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
>> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> But this tool requires the phone to be running, whereas the whatsapp app
>>> (or the equivalent on the web browser) do not.
>>
>> Yes, but on the off-chance that someone might want to call us most of
>> us don't switch our phones off.
>
>But specifically the OP does.

Yes, and I appreciate the personal attention. And your passing remark
was enlightening: "But this tool requires the phone to be running,
whereas the whatsapp app (or the equivalent on the web browser) do not."

I had not yet thought there might be a webpage that worked, and if I
had, I would have thought the phone had to be on, like with the windows
program, but by golly, it works, and in Firefox*** too
(https://blog.whatsapp.com/whats-app-web pushed Chrome.) I think I
could even saw it loading the new messages I had gotten since last I
looked (nothing important).

(I would have thought the equivalent of the whatsapp app was the
whatsapp program, the separate one, and that it would be more powerful
than the whatsapp webpage, but it's the opposite.)

This is so great! Now I don't have to turn the phone on. And it's
much easier to do housekeeping, like reading old chats and deleting
them. (The mouse and keyboard are easier than on the phone.)

And I can probably make calls using my laptops microphone and camera.
And I've added a microphone to the desktop too. (Already has a camera, I
usually turn both cameras off in Device Manager.) No more having to
hold the phone!

I've already put a "shortcut" on the new-tab page.

I no longer see much use for the separate whatapp program except that it
shows badges when I get a call or message, so I've moved that to the top
line of the taskbar, where I'll see it. My nephew and his wife are
back in Peru now, so one of them may call.

***Firefox currently has one weakness for which Chrome is better. You
can't use a microphone to talk into google translate, but you can with
Chrome on the PC. Not a big problem since usually I'm out and relying
on the phone when I would use it, where it works great by the way. Also
from Spanish. There were several people who IMO slurred their Spanish
words together or dropped the final consonants so I couldn't come close
to understanding them, but Google translate via microphone did. Every
time. Incredible.

In LIvingston, Guatemala, even the men who had to get their water at the
pila (I think they say pila for pileta**, where they have a big pool of
water and cement washboards for doing laundry, plus a 2" pipe with water
coming out. . Only saw this in one town. They carry it home in what
looked like 10gallon plastic cans. Even though I guess they had no
running water, at least 4 of them had smart phones. So just about
everyone was used to google translate. (One older woman ignored the
phone when I put it in front of her, but everyone else used it to get
English for me. OTOH, I only needed it for unusual words.)

**Even though google translate doesn't list pila to mean pool.

At home. I can always start Chrome on rare occasions when I want to use
the microphone to imput words to translate.

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<08tsriddfki0jsdobq8bdbtfk8da4i4gm3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78047&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78047

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 12:19:45 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:19 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 3 Feb 2024 01:57:31 -0600, kelown
<kelown@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>I am not interested in synchronizing files between my Android and PC. I
>was discussing the automatic copy/paste of text between my Android and
>Windows laptop, and the possibility of running Android apps on my
===============
>Windows laptop.

Someone in this or another group tried to teach me about the difference
between an app and a program, BOTH on a PC. It hasn't sunk in yet. Are
you using app to mean program or are you using it differently from
program?

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<upm7im$1bs0p$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78055&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78055

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 01:57:01 +0530
 by: Indira - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 20:27 UTC

Zaidy036 wrote:

>>> what is wrong with using Dropbox so files are automatically synced
>>> between devices?
>>
>> I am not interested in synchronizing files between my Android and PC. I
>> was discussing the automatic copy/paste of text between my Android and
>> Windows laptop, and the possibility of running Android apps on my
>> Windows laptop.
>
> I do not have Android devices to test but if you use Dropbox as the
> working data location than half of your desire is satisfied. That is how
> I see current data on my iPad and iPhone even though I usually work on
> my Windows desktop for its easier to use keyboard and vision on a larger
> display.

Since this is a subthread about cloud storage, there is a thread all about
the best non-Dropbox free cloud storage currently on the Android newsgroup.

Some of those free non-big-name encrypted cloud storage solutions are only
10GB to 20GB but others are 1 terabyte for free, and one is unlimited.

Free secure cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google, M$ & Dropbox
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/R79ZrTmIhIY

Re: Whatsapp on the PC, a great idea.

<upm7nu$1bs57$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=78056&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#78056

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 01:59:50 +0530
 by: Indira - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 20:29 UTC

micky wrote:

> Someone in this or another group tried to teach me about the difference
> between an app and a program, BOTH on a PC. It hasn't sunk in yet. Are
> you using app to mean program or are you using it differently from
> program?

If there is an official definition, I'm unaware of it.

To me, it's the difference between small and large, where apps are
basically small things that phones run & programs are larger for PCs.