From: Boris@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: 100% Disk Usage?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 02:18:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 02:18 UTC

=?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqTDsSA=?= <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in
news:ulm81a$2r0rl$1@dont-email.me:

> Boris wrote on 12/16/23 9:18 PM:
>> =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqTDsSA=?= <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Run in an Admin Command or Powershell window
>>>
>>> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
>>>
>>> - the above will report the status of the component store, and
>>> may show
>>> that a cleanup of the store is necessary. Disregard that info and
>>> run the following:
>>>
>>> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
>>>

>>> Fyi...it would still be worthwhile to create another Local Windows
>>> logon account(in an existing admin account), them configure the new
>>> account as an admin account. Ensure you remember the password when
>>> creating the new account(its only temporary, and can be removed
>>> later). Logon to the new account to finish setup or the user profile
>>> for that new logon, and test loading/opening programs.
>>> - if you notice a significant difference, report the results...if
>>> you
>>> don't see a difference in the new logon profile, its unlikely there
>>> is a profile issue(i.e. your condition is something else, and
>>> possibly not even Windows related).
>>>

>> Yes, I had planned to create another Local Windows logon...just
>> hadn't gotten to it yet.
>>
>> When I go to Settings>Accounts>Your info, I see
>> My Name
>> Local Account
>> Administrator
>>
>> I don't see anywhere there to create another Local Windows logon.
>>
>> I suspect there's another "real, top level" Administrator account,
>> but I don't know how to get there. Is that where you are suggesting
>> to create another Local Windows logon?
>>
>> Sorry for so many simple questions.
>>
> Account creation for a Local account can be done by navigation from
> multiple places from an existing Admin account
> 'Control Panel/User Accounts/Manage Accounts/Add new user in PC
> Settings' or
> Go/Navigate to the same location to add an account
> Settings/Accounts/Other Users/Add Account
> - Select/Click 'I dont have this persons sign in information'
> - Select/Click 'Add a user without a Microsoft account'
> => Enter Username and Password
> Once the account is created go back to Accounts/User Accounts, select
> the new account and use the 'Change account' option to change it to an
> admin account.
> Logoff the current admin account that created the account, restart and
> select the new Local admin account. enter the password...Windows will
> fnish creating the logon account, issue a Welcome or similar command
> while it's building the folder structure and finally display the
> desktop for the new account.
> => At that point you can then navigate to different installed
> programs
> and see if the new account makes a difference in time to open
> programs, Disk usage %, CPU usage, etc.
> - i.e. what you are doing is comparing one account's vs the
> possible
> [...]

Thanks for the instructions.

Looks like no matter what identity (account profile) I use, results are
the same. Sloooooow.

I created another local administrator account, "Tester". So now I have
two local administrator accounts. Tester was excrutiatingly slow to load
the OS and eventually paint the desktop. Tester did not have all
programs that Boris had, but all those that I tried on Tester acted that
same as if I'd launched them from Boris's account...slow to launch.
Also, the disk drive took so long to settle down from 100%, that I gave
up.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o 100% Disk Usage?

By: Boris on Fri, 15 Dec 2023