Kill Ugly Processor Architectures -- Karl Lehenbauer

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / 100% Disk Usage?

SubjectAuthor
* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
+- 100% Disk Usage?VanguardLH
+* 100% Disk Usage?Michael Logies
|`* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
| +* 100% Disk Usage?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| |`* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
| | +* 100% Disk Usage?VanguardLH
| | |`* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
| | | `- 100% Disk Usage?Paul
| | +* 100% Disk Usage?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| | |`- 100% Disk Usage?Boris
| | `- 100% Disk Usage?Paul
| `- 100% Disk Usage?Joerg Walther
+- 100% Disk Usage?Graham J
+* 100% Disk Usage?Andy Burns
|`* 100% Disk Usage?Paul
| `- 100% Disk Usage?Andy Burns
+- 100% Disk Usage?Paul
+* 100% Disk Usage?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|+* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
||+* 100% Disk Usage?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|||`* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
||| `* 100% Disk Usage?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|||  `* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
|||   +- 100% Disk Usage?Paul
|||   +* 100% Disk Usage?VanguardLH
|||   |+- 100% Disk Usage?VanguardLH
|||   |+- 100% Disk Usage?Philip Herlihy
|||   |`- 100% Disk Usage?Paul
|||   `* 100% Disk Usage?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|||    `* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
|||     +* 100% Disk Usage?Paul
|||     |`* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
|||     | `* 100% Disk Usage?Paul
|||     |  +* 100% Disk Usage?VanguardLH
|||     |  |`* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
|||     |  | +* 100% Disk Usage?VanguardLH
|||     |  | |`* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
|||     |  | | `* 100% Disk Usage?Frank Slootweg
|||     |  | |  `* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
|||     |  | |   +- 100% Disk Usage?Paul
|||     |  | |   `* 100% Disk Usage?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|||     |  | |    `- 100% Disk Usage?Boris
|||     |  | +- 100% Disk Usage?Paul
|||     |  | `* 100% Disk Usage?Frank Slootweg
|||     |  |  `- 100% Disk Usage?Boris
|||     |  `* 100% Disk Usage?Andy Burns
|||     |   `- 100% Disk Usage?Boris
|||     +- 100% Disk Usage?VanguardLH
|||     `* 100% Disk Usage?Andy Burns
|||      +- 100% Disk Usage?Paul
|||      `- 100% Disk Usage?Boris
||`* 100% Disk Usage?VanguardLH
|| `* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
||  `* 100% Disk Usage?Boris
||   `* 100% Disk Usage?VanguardLH
||    `* 100% Disk Usage?Frank Slootweg
||     `* 100% Disk Usage?Paul
||      +- 100% Disk Usage?Andy Burns
||      `* 100% Disk Usage?Frank Slootweg
||       +- 100% Disk Usage?Paul
||       `* 100% Disk Usage?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
||        `- 100% Disk Usage?Paul
|`- 100% Disk Usage?Boris
+* 100% Disk Usage?Frank Slootweg
|`* 100% Disk Usage?sticks
| `* 100% Disk Usage?Frank Slootweg
|  `* 100% Disk Usage?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|   `* 100% Disk Usage?sticks
|    `* 100% Disk Usage?Frank Slootweg
|     `- 100% Disk Usage?sticks
`- 100% Disk Usage?VanguardLH

Pages:123
100% Disk Usage?

<XnsB0DAD4A6A4532nospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76548&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76548

From: nospam@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: 100% Disk Usage?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:54:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:54 UTC

I've been trying to solve 100% disk usage on this machine for a while,
now:

Dell Inspiron 5559
Windows 10 HP x64, OEM installed, fully updated, 22H2, 5/18/2016

It takes at least 15 minutes to settle down and become useful after a
clean boot, and takes about 5 minutes to shutdown. Once up and running,
it takes around a minute or so for a program to launch after clicked
upon. If I want to open a picture, for instance, the program (i.e.
Photos, Photo Gallery) takes about a minute to open. Same with FireFox.
After they are first launched, the respond normally for the rest of my
session.

I have a minimal amount of programs that launch at startup.

Ethernet send/receive are almost non-existent at startup. Memory and CPU
seem low.

I tried many suggested fixes months ago, with no luck. Before I do
somthing more drastic that requires re-installation of the OS and updates
or all programs, I thougt I'd try again to see what else I could find
that may fix this problem.

I went here:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-100-percent-disk-usage-problem

But it turns out my system doesn't include IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, it
only contains Standard SATA AHCI Controller. Nonetheless, burrowing down
shows nothing similar to what's shown. Neither does the registry.

Next, going to:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-disk-usage-on-
windows-10/17e3aa7e-4a2a-4927-97bd-bdb2f7dbe04b

sfc /scannow found "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and
successfully repaired them. For online repairs, details are included in
the CBS log file located at windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:
\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline repairs, details are included in
the log fimle provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

Per the instructions, I next ran:

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

Response was, "No component store corruption was found.
The operation completed successfully."

Per instructions, I next ran:

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealt

Response was, ""No component store corruption was found.
The operation completed successfully."

I was about to run the next suggested command, "dism /online /cleanup-
image /restorehealth"

But, I first researched the difference between checkhealth and
scanhealth, and it seemed to me that checkhealth was not needed as
checkhealth finds 'repairable' files, while scanhealth checks and fixes
corrupt files. Is checkhealth really needed? Or is it needed because it
identifies corrupt files, and places them somewhere where they can be
acted upon?

Anyway, I'm going to continue on with the rest of the suggested plan to
'fix' this 100% disk usage.

Also, if you have any other suggestions as how to diagnose/fix 100% disk
usage, that would be appreciated. I just don't want to have to re-
install the OS. Main reason...I may have to get a MSFT account to do so.

TIA

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<fghua92o8rmf$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76549&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76549

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: 100% Disk Usage?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 00:22:24 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 06:22 UTC

Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:

> [...]
> The operation completed successfully."
>
> I was about to run the next suggested command, "dism /online /cleanup-
> image /restorehealth"
>
> But, I first researched the difference between checkhealth and
> scanhealth, and it seemed to me that checkhealth was not needed as
> checkhealth finds 'repairable' files, while scanhealth checks and fixes
> corrupt files. Is checkhealth really needed? Or is it needed because it
> identifies corrupt files, and places them somewhere where they can be
> acted upon?
>
> Anyway, I'm going to continue on with the rest of the suggested plan to
> 'fix' this 100% disk usage.
>
> Also, if you have any other suggestions as how to diagnose/fix 100% disk
> usage, that would be appreciated. I just don't want to have to re-
> install the OS. Main reason...I may have to get a MSFT account to do so.

What might you have running that interrogates file I/O traffic (e.g.,
anti-virus software)? Something other than Windows Defender? If so,
have you tried disabling that software? You can also disable Defender
to test its impact on file I/O performance.

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<ks1onipjga0tu36jm47s6t1upangqst81k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76550&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76550

From: logies@t-online.de (Michael Logies)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:01:41 +0100
 by: Michael Logies - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:01 UTC

On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:54:16 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@invalid.com>
wrote:

>I've been trying to solve 100% disk usage on this machine for a while,
>now:
>
>Dell Inspiron 5559
>Windows 10 HP x64, OEM installed, fully updated, 22H2, 5/18/2016

How many GB of RAM? I think 8 GB should be the minimum for Windows 10.
SSD or harddisk? If harddisk, I would clone to a SSD.

Regards

M.

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<ulh2s9$1r38v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76551&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76551

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:31:03 +0000
 by: Graham J - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:31 UTC

Boris wrote:
> I've been trying to solve 100% disk usage on this machine for a while,
> now:
>
> Dell Inspiron 5559
> Windows 10 HP x64, OEM installed, fully updated, 22H2, 5/18/2016
>
> It takes at least 15 minutes to settle down and become useful after a
> clean boot, and takes about 5 minutes to shutdown. Once up and running,
> it takes around a minute or so for a program to launch after clicked
> upon. If I want to open a picture, for instance, the program (i.e.
> Photos, Photo Gallery) takes about a minute to open. Same with FireFox.
> After they are first launched, the respond normally for the rest of my
> session.

[snip]

This is probably about right for a machine with an HDD. Fit an SSD.

--
Graham J

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<ku2jlbFopu5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76552&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76552

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:13:16 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:13 UTC

Boris wrote:

> It takes at least 15 minutes to settle down and become useful after a
> clean boot, and takes about 5 minutes to shutdown.

Check which processes are causing the most file access, whether it's
reads or writes, and which files in particular they are accessing with
Resource Monitor

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<ulh7h1$1rqcv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76553&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76553

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:50:22 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:50 UTC

On 12/14/2023 11:54 PM, Boris wrote:
> [...]
> The operation completed successfully."
>
> I was about to run the next suggested command, "dism /online /cleanup-
> image /restorehealth"
>
> But, I first researched the difference between checkhealth and
> scanhealth, and it seemed to me that checkhealth was not needed as
> checkhealth finds 'repairable' files, while scanhealth checks and fixes
> corrupt files. Is checkhealth really needed? Or is it needed because it
> identifies corrupt files, and places them somewhere where they can be
> acted upon?
>
> Anyway, I'm going to continue on with the rest of the suggested plan to
> 'fix' this 100% disk usage.
>
> Also, if you have any other suggestions as how to diagnose/fix 100% disk
> usage, that would be appreciated. I just don't want to have to re-
> install the OS. Main reason...I may have to get a MSFT account to do so.

When I see the words "DISM" and "SFC", my eyes glaze over :-) Force of habit.

*******

To start with, you don't have an SSD, you have a rotating hard drive HDD.

Benchmarking a hard drive, and seeing a smooth characteristic curve,
helps give some idea what the real defect rate is.

https://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

However, even if I wait an hour for Windows 10 to shut up, it never
shuts up. It interferes with the disk testing. For example, mine
was pissing around with some XBox activity, and I don't have and have
never owned, an XBox.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/K8W9bCyR/Win10-makes-health-checks-hard-to-do.gif

I would normally tell you to look for downward spikes to the 5-10MB/sec level,
as an indicator there could be a bad spot on disk.

*******

Process Monitor, logs entries collected by the ETW subsystem. It records
things like CreateFile, ReadFile, WriteFile. This can indicate what
runaway task is doing stuff to your machine. It logs all the tasks
for you, even the unlabeled SVCHOST ones.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Normally, we expect Windows Defender to be doing ReadFile, or
SearchIndexer and its two buddies. Most normal users have not configured
Search Indexer, so it only indexes around a thousand small files, and
it then is not too obnoxious.

In services.msc the SysMain service logs disk activity, in the interest
of rearranging files in a more optimal order. It's been known in the
past, to be abnormally active. You can uses services.msc to Stop the
service, as it does not hurt anything. And if you stop it and the
disk light goes off... you know what was going on. You can use

tasklist /svc

to map PID number in a Process Monitor trace, to a service listed
in the output of tasklist. Process Monitor results are not really
complete (if you were sending them to someone), unless you also
included a copy of the tasklist /svc.

*******

In the actual Task Manager, you can select "Details", put
the mouse around the column heads, and there is a Select Columns
option when you right-click. In the available hidden columns, you
can select "I/O Read Bytes" and "I/O Write Bytes", and this gives
an idea of some of the system activity.

But no monitoring on Windows is complete. The latest OSes are
the worst, for not telling the truth about system activity. Using the
Task Manager today, is largely a waste of time "when the going gets tough".
In the Windows XP era, Task Manager was like a "claw hammer", it
controlled the machine, it told you what was going on, it was
practically unstoppable (static resource allocation).

Paul

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<ulhbrb$1sfej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76555&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76555

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 06:04:10 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 11:04 UTC

On 12/15/2023 4:13 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Boris wrote:
>
>> It takes at least 15 minutes to settle down and become useful after a
>> clean boot, and takes about 5 minutes to shutdown.
>
> Check which processes are causing the most file access, whether it's reads or writes, and which files in particular they are accessing with Resource Monitor

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/perfmon

perfmon /res

Paul

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<ku2s2gFq119U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76556&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76556

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 11:36:48 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 11:36 UTC

Paul wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Check which processes are causing the most file access, whether
>> it's reads or writes, and which files in particular they are
>> accessing with Resource Monitor
>
> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/perfmon
>
> perfmon /res

The "Resource Monitor" shortcut from Task Manager may be marginally more
convenient.

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<uli2gn$2089t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76557&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76557

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 10:31:00 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 17:31 UTC

Boris wrote on 12/14/23 9:54 PM:
> [...]
> The operation completed successfully."
>
> I was about to run the next suggested command, "dism /online /cleanup-
> image /restorehealth"
>
> But, I first researched the difference between checkhealth and
> scanhealth, and it seemed to me that checkhealth was not needed as
> checkhealth finds 'repairable' files, while scanhealth checks and fixes
> corrupt files. Is checkhealth really needed? Or is it needed because it
> identifies corrupt files, and places them somewhere where they can be
> acted upon?
>
> Anyway, I'm going to continue on with the rest of the suggested plan to
> 'fix' this 100% disk usage.
>
> Also, if you have any other suggestions as how to diagnose/fix 100% disk
> usage, that would be appreciated. I just don't want to have to re-
> install the OS. Main reason...I may have to get a MSFT account to do so.

Might be worth it to:
a. include actual device specs(fyi one of the the Dell 5559 models
released/built/shipped was 4GB RAM with 1 TB HD, i5 Intel chip). Note:
The i5 would normally be sufficient for Win10.
b.Create a new Local Windows account with admin rights, then retest
opening programs.

With respect to Scanhealth, Checkhealth
- Neither 'fix' anything, only providing a status of the existing
image. The former only checks for corruption of the Windows image, the
latter also diagnostic, performs a more advanced scan to determine if the
image has an issue worthy of being repaired.
=> Unlike the DISM's RestoreHealth which repairs a image.

Design intent is to run these three DISM commands in order
ScanHealth, Checkhealth and RestoreHealth
The latter is usually and only necessary when the first two report a need
to do so.

Other DISM commands are available
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

The first is diagnostic related(just reports, no fixing), the latter
cleans up the component store.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<XnsB0DCA8632EB14nospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76568&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76568

From: nospam@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 00:33:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 00:33 UTC

=?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqTDsSA=?= <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in

> [...]
> b.Create a new Local Windows account with admin rights, then retest
> opening programs.
>
> With respect to Scanhealth, Checkhealth
> - Neither 'fix' anything, only providing a status of the existing
> image. The former only checks for corruption of the Windows image, the
> latter also diagnostic, performs a more advanced scan to determine if
> the image has an issue worthy of being repaired.
> => Unlike the DISM's RestoreHealth which repairs a image.
>
> Design intent is to run these three DISM commands in order
> ScanHealth, Checkhealth and RestoreHealth
> The latter is usually and only necessary when the first two report a
> need to do so.
>
> Other DISM commands are available
> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
>
> The first is diagnostic related(just reports, no fixing), the latter

I ran the last DISM command in the instructions, RestoreHealth, and
rebooted. No change, still slow to boot and settle down.

Still following the instructions, I checked for updates, and there were
two Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender Antivirus. Both
installed successfully.

Restart, and disable Microsoft Defender. suggested by VanguardLH. No
change

Next, I hid all Microsoft services, disabled the rest, and rebooted.
There was a significant reduction in load up time, which included the
painting of all desktop and task bar icons. And, disk activity settled
down to 0 to 10 percent activity noticeably quicker. (Occassionally, it
went up to 20 to 30 percent. I guess that's what Paul talks about,
Windows is always doing something.)

But, Programs still take a long time to start up when first launched.

I've started on Paul's suggestions, but I think I'll first re-enable all
programs in the System Configurations Startup tab.

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<ullncl$2oo6v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76571&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76571

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 19:45:38 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 02:45 UTC

Boris wrote on 12/16/23 5:33 PM:
> [...]
>
> Still following the instructions, I checked for updates, and there were
> two Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender Antivirus. Both
> installed successfully.
>
> Restart, and disable Microsoft Defender. suggested by VanguardLH. No
> change
>
> Next, I hid all Microsoft services, disabled the rest, and rebooted.
> There was a significant reduction in load up time, which included the
> painting of all desktop and task bar icons. And, disk activity settled
> down to 0 to 10 percent activity noticeably quicker. (Occassionally, it
> went up to 20 to 30 percent. I guess that's what Paul talks about,
> Windows is always doing something.)
>
> But, Programs still take a long time to start up when first launched.
>
> I've started on Paul's suggestions, but I think I'll first re-enable all
> programs in the System Configurations Startup tab.

Run in an Admin Command or Powershell window

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

- the above will report the status of the component store, and may show
that a cleanup of the store is necessary. Disregard that info and run the
following:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Fyi...it would still be worthwhile to create another Local Windows logon
account(in an existing admin account), them configure the new account as
an admin account. Ensure you remember the password when creating the new
account(its only temporary, and can be removed later). Logon to the new
account to finish setup or the user profile for that new logon, and test
- if you notice a significant difference, report the results...if you
don't see a difference in the new logon profile, its unlikely there is a
profile issue(i.e. your condition is something else, and possibly not
even Windows related).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<16f9t4phjjvjk.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76575&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76575

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:10:47 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 03:10 UTC

> [...]

> Still following the instructions, I checked for updates, and there were
> two Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender Antivirus. Both
> installed successfully.
>
> Restart, and disable Microsoft Defender. suggested by VanguardLH. No
> change
>
> Next, I hid all Microsoft services, disabled the rest, and rebooted.
> There was a significant reduction in load up time, which included the
> painting of all desktop and task bar icons. And, disk activity settled
> down to 0 to 10 percent activity noticeably quicker. (Occassionally, it
> went up to 20 to 30 percent. I guess that's what Paul talks about,
> Windows is always doing something.)
>
> But, Programs still take a long time to start up when first launched.
>
> I've started on Paul's suggestions, but I think I'll first re-enable all
> programs in the System Configurations Startup tab.

Did you disable the Windows Indexing service, too?

If that helps, whether or not you reenable the service depends on
whether or not you ever use it. I don't. Instead I use [Search]
Everything from voidtools. It also has an indexing service, but doesn't
seem to impact the file system as much.

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<XnsB0DCCEA17193Enospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76576&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76576

From: nospam@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 04:18:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 04:18 UTC

> [...]
> show
> that a cleanup of the store is necessary. Disregard that info and run
> the following:
>
> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
>

> Fyi...it would still be worthwhile to create another Local Windows
> logon account(in an existing admin account), them configure the new
> account as an admin account. Ensure you remember the password when
> creating the new account(its only temporary, and can be removed
> later). Logon to the new account to finish setup or the user profile
> for that new logon, and test loading/opening programs.
> - if you notice a significant difference, report the results...if
> you
> don't see a difference in the new logon profile, its unlikely there is
> a profile issue(i.e. your condition is something else, and possibly

Yes, I had planned to create another Local Windows logon...just hadn't
gotten to it yet.

When I go to Settings>Accounts>Your info, I see
My Name
Local Account
Administrator

I don't see anywhere there to create another Local Windows logon.

I suspect there's another "real, top level" Administrator account, but I
don't know how to get there. Is that where you are suggesting to create
another Local Windows logon?

Sorry for so many simple questions.

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<XnsB0DCD005A1E72nospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76577&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76577

From: nospam@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 04:26:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 04:26 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:16f9t4phjjvjk.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqTDsSA=?= <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Might be worth it to:
>>> a. include actual device specs(fyi one of the the Dell 5559 models
>>> released/built/shipped was 4GB RAM with 1 TB HD, i5 Intel chip).
>>> Note: The i5 would normally be sufficient for Win10.
>>> b.Create a new Local Windows account with admin rights, then retest
>>> opening programs.
>>>
>>> With respect to Scanhealth, Checkhealth
>>> - Neither 'fix' anything, only providing a status of the existing
>>> image. The former only checks for corruption of the Windows image,
>>> the latter also diagnostic, performs a more advanced scan to
>>> determine if the image has an issue worthy of being repaired.
>>> => Unlike the DISM's RestoreHealth which repairs a image.
>>>
>>> Design intent is to run these three DISM commands in order
>>> ScanHealth, Checkhealth and RestoreHealth
>>> The latter is usually and only necessary when the first two report a
>>> need to do so.
>>>
>>> Other DISM commands are available
>>> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
>>> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
>>>
>>> The first is diagnostic related(just reports, no fixing), the latter
>>> cleans up the component store.
>>>

>> I ran the last DISM command in the instructions, RestoreHealth, and
>> rebooted. No change, still slow to boot and settle down.
>>
>> Still following the instructions, I checked for updates, and there
>> were two Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender
>> Antivirus. Both installed successfully.
>>
>> Restart, and disable Microsoft Defender. suggested by VanguardLH. No
>> change
>>
>> Next, I hid all Microsoft services, disabled the rest, and rebooted.
>> There was a significant reduction in load up time, which included the
>> painting of all desktop and task bar icons. And, disk activity
>> settled down to 0 to 10 percent activity noticeably quicker.
>> (Occassionally, it went up to 20 to 30 percent. I guess that's what
>> Paul talks about, Windows is always doing something.)
>>
>> But, Programs still take a long time to start up when first launched.
>>
>> I've started on Paul's suggestions, but I think I'll first re-enable
>> all programs in the System Configurations Startup tab.
>
> Did you disable the Windows Indexing service, too?
>
> If that helps, whether or not you reenable the service depends on
> whether or not you ever use it. I don't. Instead I use [Search]
> Everything from voidtools. It also has an indexing service, but
> doesn't seem to impact the file system as much.

Ahhh...hadn't thought of that or done that. I just now disabled it.

I will have to reboot and see the effects tomorrow morning.

I don't use Windows indexing. Way too slow. I also use Everything,
amazingly fast.

Thanks.

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<XnsB0DCD201ED0BFnospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76578&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76578

From: nospam@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 04:38:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 04:38 UTC

> [...]

> b.Create a new Local Windows account with admin rights, then retest
> opening programs.
>
> With respect to Scanhealth, Checkhealth
> - Neither 'fix' anything, only providing a status of the existing
> image. The former only checks for corruption of the Windows image, the
> latter also diagnostic, performs a more advanced scan to determine if
> the image has an issue worthy of being repaired.
> => Unlike the DISM's RestoreHealth which repairs a image.
>
> Design intent is to run these three DISM commands in order
> ScanHealth, Checkhealth and RestoreHealth
> The latter is usually and only necessary when the first two report a
> need to do so.
>
> Other DISM commands are available
> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
>
> The first is diagnostic related(just reports, no fixing), the latter

Device specs:

Dell Inspiron 5559 15" Laptop
Intel Core i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
2.40GHz
RAM 8.00 GB
64-bit
Windows 22H2
Build 19045.3803
1 TB HDD, 777GB free

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<XnsB0DCD38D88752nospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76580&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76580

From: nospam@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 04:47:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 04:47 UTC

Michael Logies <logies@t-online.de> wrote in

> On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:54:16 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I've been trying to solve 100% disk usage on this machine for a while,
>>now:
>>
>>Dell Inspiron 5559
>>Windows 10 HP x64, OEM installed, fully updated, 22H2, 5/18/2016
>
> How many GB of RAM? I think 8 GB should be the minimum for Windows 10.
> SSD or harddisk? If harddisk, I would clone to a SSD.
>
> Regards
>
> M.

Dell Inspiron 5559 15" Laptop
Intel Core i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
2.40GHz
RAM 8.00 GB
64-bit
Windows 22H2
Build 19045.3803
1 TB HDD, 777GB free

I had been thinking about replacing with an SDD, and I have looked at
some SSDs. I only use about 350GB of space, so a 500-1,000GB would be
plenty. I need to crack open the laptop to see what type of mounting
bracket I'd need, how the drive is connected to the motherboard, and I
need to see how to do a fresh install on a new SDD. A clone to an SDD
may carry over the issues I'm having, don't know.

I suspect that the BIOS holds the authorization to activate a new install
of the OEM's Windows 10 OS. But I also think I'd have to create a throw
away Microsoft account, as I doubt any of the previous tricks that
circumvented the requirement to create a Microsoft account in order to
install the OS, have been thwarted.

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<ulm81a$2r0rl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76583&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76583

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 00:29:45 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 07:29 UTC

Boris wrote on 12/16/23 9:18 PM:
> =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqTDsSA=?= <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Boris wrote on 12/16/23 5:33 PM:
>>> =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqTDsSA=?= <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> I ran the last DISM command in the instructions, RestoreHealth, and
>>> rebooted. No change, still slow to boot and settle down.
>>>
>>> Still following the instructions, I checked for updates, and there
>>> were two Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender
>>> Antivirus. Both installed successfully.
>>>
>>> Restart, and disable Microsoft Defender. suggested by VanguardLH. No
>>> change
>>>
>>> Next, I hid all Microsoft services, disabled the rest, and rebooted.
>>> There was a significant reduction in load up time, which included the
>>> painting of all desktop and task bar icons. And, disk activity
>>> settled down to 0 to 10 percent activity noticeably quicker.
>>> (Occassionally, it went up to 20 to 30 percent. I guess that's what
>>> Paul talks about, Windows is always doing something.)
>>>
>>> But, Programs still take a long time to start up when first launched.
>>>
>>> I've started on Paul's suggestions, but I think I'll first re-enable
>>> all programs in the System Configurations Startup tab.
>>>

>> Run in an Admin Command or Powershell window
>>
>> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
>>
>> - the above will report the status of the component store, and may
>> show
>> that a cleanup of the store is necessary. Disregard that info and run
>> the following:
>>
>> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
>>

>> Fyi...it would still be worthwhile to create another Local Windows
>> logon account(in an existing admin account), them configure the new
>> account as an admin account. Ensure you remember the password when
>> creating the new account(its only temporary, and can be removed
>> later). Logon to the new account to finish setup or the user profile
>> for that new logon, and test loading/opening programs.
>> - if you notice a significant difference, report the results...if
>> you
>> don't see a difference in the new logon profile, its unlikely there is
>> a profile issue(i.e. your condition is something else, and possibly
>> not even Windows related).
>>

> Yes, I had planned to create another Local Windows logon...just hadn't
> gotten to it yet.
>
> When I go to Settings>Accounts>Your info, I see
> My Name
> Local Account
> Administrator
>
> I don't see anywhere there to create another Local Windows logon.
>
> I suspect there's another "real, top level" Administrator account, but I
> don't know how to get there. Is that where you are suggesting to create
> another Local Windows logon?
>
> Sorry for so many simple questions.

Account creation for a Local account can be done by navigation from
multiple places from an existing Admin account
'Control Panel/User Accounts/Manage Accounts/Add new user in PC Settings'
or
Go/Navigate to the same location to add an account
Settings/Accounts/Other Users/Add Account
- Select/Click 'I dont have this persons sign in information'
- Select/Click 'Add a user without a Microsoft account'
=> Enter Username and Password
Once the account is created go back to Accounts/User Accounts, select the
new account and use the 'Change account' option to change it to an admin
account.
Logoff the current admin account that created the account, restart and
select the new Local admin account. enter the password...Windows will
fnish creating the logon account, issue a Welcome or similar command
while it's building the folder structure and finally display the desktop
for the new account.
=> At that point you can then navigate to different installed programs
and see if the new account makes a difference in time to open programs,
Disk usage %, CPU usage, etc.
- i.e. what you are doing is comparing one account's vs the possible
problem account.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<ulm8v8$2r6f5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76584&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76584

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 00:45:42 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 07:45 UTC

Boris wrote on 12/16/23 9:47 PM:
> Michael Logies <logies@t-online.de> wrote in
>
>> On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:54:16 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@invalid.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying to solve 100% disk usage on this machine for a while,
>>> now:
>>>
>>> Dell Inspiron 5559
>>> Windows 10 HP x64, OEM installed, fully updated, 22H2, 5/18/2016
>>
>> How many GB of RAM? I think 8 GB should be the minimum for Windows 10.
>> SSD or harddisk? If harddisk, I would clone to a SSD.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> M.
>>

> Dell Inspiron 5559 15" Laptop
> Intel Core i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
> 2.40GHz
> RAM 8.00 GB
> 64-bit
> Windows 22H2
> Build 19045.3803
> 1 TB HDD, 777GB free
>
> I had been thinking about replacing with an SDD, and I have looked at
> some SSDs. I only use about 350GB of space, so a 500-1,000GB would be
> plenty. I need to crack open the laptop to see what type of mounting
> bracket I'd need, how the drive is connected to the motherboard, and I
> need to see how to do a fresh install on a new SDD. A clone to an SDD
> may carry over the issues I'm having, don't know.
>
> I suspect that the BIOS holds the authorization to activate a new install
> of the OEM's Windows 10 OS. But I also think I'd have to create a throw
> away Microsoft account, as I doubt any of the previous tricks that
> circumvented the requirement to create a Microsoft account in order to
> install the OS, have been thwarted.

The same tricks work for Windows 10 to create a local account.

The BIOS(if built as a Windows 10 device) the license authorization(for
lack of a better term) is on the mobo firmware.

Once the device is first logged on and authorized, that device an OEM
machine or retail edition of Windows(Pro or Home) is digitally licensed.
- While it may use the firmware stuff to activate, the MSFT servers
will still look for the earlier digital licensed footprint on their
server for activation and see it as authorized.

Fyi...
- your original post about the SATA AHCI controller instead of IDE is
what it should be...A Windows 10 device with IDE ATA/ATAPI would be quite
rare.
- your i5 CPU, 8GB RAM should be sufficient as well as your 1TB HD with
about less than 1/3 used(777GB free)
- i.e. with those specs it should not take 15 minutes to settle down, 5
minutes to shutdown, and normally less than a minute for a program to open.
Sideline question - not related to your problem
=> You mentioned Photo Gallery (which version - Windows 10 did not come
pre-built with Photo Gallery, that is a Windows Essentials included
Program, separate installation). Windows 10 in addition to Photos, has a
'Windows Photo Viewer' program

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<cpgtnid2dhh24mia45qaddlsf2sahpea7t@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76588&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76588

From: joerg.walther@gmail.com (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 10:46:00 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 09:46 UTC

Boris wrote:

>I suspect that the BIOS holds the authorization to activate a new install
>of the OEM's Windows 10 OS. But I also think I'd have to create a throw
>away Microsoft account, as I doubt any of the previous tricks that
>circumvented the requirement to create a Microsoft account in order to
>install the OS, have been thwarted.

Why reinstall? Just clone the HDD to a new SSD.
HDD replacement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epWOIDXDkxY

-jw-

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<XnsB0DDD1AF1B38nospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76592&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76592

From: nospam@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 04:36:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 04:36 UTC

> Boris wrote on 12/16/23 9:47 PM:
>> Michael Logies <logies@t-online.de> wrote in

>>> How many GB of RAM? I think 8 GB should be the minimum for Windows
>>> 10. SSD or harddisk? If harddisk, I would clone to a SSD.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> M.
>>>

>> Dell Inspiron 5559 15" Laptop
>> Intel Core i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
>> 2.40GHz
>> RAM 8.00 GB
>> 64-bit
>> Windows 22H2
>> Build 19045.3803
>> 1 TB HDD, 777GB free
>>
>> I had been thinking about replacing with an SDD, and I have looked at
>> some SSDs. I only use about 350GB of space, so a 500-1,000GB would
>> be plenty. I need to crack open the laptop to see what type of
>> mounting bracket I'd need, how the drive is connected to the
>> motherboard, and I need to see how to do a fresh install on a new
>> SDD. A clone to an SDD may carry over the issues I'm having, don't
>> know.
>>
>> I suspect that the BIOS holds the authorization to activate a new
>> install of the OEM's Windows 10 OS. But I also think I'd have to
>> create a throw away Microsoft account, as I doubt any of the previous
>> tricks that circumvented the requirement to create a Microsoft
>> account in order to install the OS, have been thwarted.
>>

> The same tricks work for Windows 10 to create a local account.
>

> The BIOS(if built as a Windows 10 device) the license
> authorization(for lack of a better term) is on the mobo firmware.
>
> Once the device is first logged on and authorized, that device an OEM
> machine or retail edition of Windows(Pro or Home) is digitally
> licensed.
> - While it may use the firmware stuff to activate, the MSFT servers
> will still look for the earlier digital licensed footprint on their
> server for activation and see it as authorized.
>

> Fyi...
> - your original post about the SATA AHCI controller instead of IDE is
> what it should be...A Windows 10 device with IDE ATA/ATAPI would be
> quite rare.

Yes. That is what I meant in my OP...that my Windows 10 system didn't
use IDE cabling. I haven't seen that since XP/NT, with master and slave
dip swithces.

But, it is mysterious (to me) as to why systems running SATA drives
sometimes show IDE in the device manager:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/0rn2fRQ

> - your i5 CPU, 8GB RAM should be sufficient as well as your 1TB HD
> with
> about less than 1/3 used(777GB free)
> - i.e. with those specs it should not take 15 minutes to settle
> down, 5
> minutes to shutdown, and normally less than a minute for a program to
> open.
> Sideline question - not related to your problem
> => You mentioned Photo Gallery (which version - Windows 10 did not
> come
> pre-built with Photo Gallery, that is a Windows Essentials included
> Program, separate installation). Windows 10 in addition to Photos, has
> a 'Windows Photo Viewer' program

Years ago, I saved the offline install programs for Windows Essentials
11 and 12. I installed Essentials 12, Live Mail, Photo Gallery, and
Movie Maker. I like that Photo Gallery shows pictures in sub-folders
without having to drill down to/open those subfolders. I use Live Mail.

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<xbwpftn0pmi9$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76593&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76593

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 23:14:33 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 05:14 UTC

Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:

> But, it is mysterious (to me) as to why systems running SATA drives
> sometimes show IDE in the device manager:

IDE = Integrated Drive Electronics (controller on the drive instead of
on the mobo or daughtercard).
SATA = Serial ATA = Serial Advanced Technology Attachment

IDE was first used, and then PATA was used to refer to IDE using flat
cables to differentiate IDE drives that used SATA. All PATA and SATA
are IDE; however, PATA uses 40-pin flat ribbon cables (because they
issue parallel data) while SATA uses 7-pin wire cables for data (which
is serialized). That's why Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) shows an "IDE
ATA/ATAPI controllers" node listing the SATA controllers (host bus
adapters) on the mobo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA#IDE_and_ATA-1

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<ulonrs$3cpk8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76595&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76595

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 23:12:10 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 06:12 UTC

Boris wrote on 12/17/23 9:36 PM:
>> Sideline question - not related to your problem
>> => You mentioned Photo Gallery (which version - Windows 10 did not
>> come
>> pre-built with Photo Gallery, that is a Windows Essentials included
>> Program, separate installation). Windows 10 in addition to Photos, has
>> a 'Windows Photo Viewer' program
>>

> Years ago, I saved the offline install programs for Windows Essentials
> 11 and 12. I installed Essentials 12, Live Mail, Photo Gallery, and
> Movie Maker. I like that Photo Gallery shows pictures in sub-folders
> without having to drill down to/open those subfolders. I use Live Mail.

That's why I asked. To the folks that were email and news weaned on OE
the release of the Live and later Windows 'Essentials' met a lot of
resistance.
The OE team(and its internal successor, Vista's Windows mail)was
disbanded years before the Live Essentials beta was released in 2007.
- that loyal OE following never fully understood the 'Essentials
purpose' and that seminal change was the foundation for what continues
today[1] Granted WLM/PG/MM were not the best choice program for many, but
it was never intended for the 'many'. It was the beginning of desktop to
cloud integration, intended for use with a Live/Hotmail/MSN.com(now
Microsft) accounts and for a specific and intended purpose.
- Integration across programs in the Essentials suite,
integration(sync) with SkyDrive, Live/Hotmail/MSn.com web stored email,
contacts, calendar which made the OE crowd even more incensed. Throw in
the telemetry collection aspect and that initial incense grew to irateness.

[1]Essentials was a concept and vision for the future. With the
deprecation of the Essentials product line, that didn't stop the initial
objective which now exists today across Windows, Office, Contacts,
Calendar, apps(iOs, Android)...but even more so across the entire
Enterprise spectrum via Azure- which turned out to be one of Microsoft's
largest revenue contributors(excluding Windows and Office)
- i.e. it was never about providing a replacement for OE, but a
vision(and an accurate one) for the future.

I also like and use Live Photo Gallery/Movie Maker. I only use Live Mail
b/c it is still much better than TBird and other news clients for Html
supported and based news groups. My primary email client(since 1997 is
Outlook).

Lol...folks reading this will probably continue to raise their 15 yr old
opinions against WLM, the cloud, telemetry...anything said, has already
been heard. It's like still complaining about the transmission problems
on an old Oldsmobile or Ford Pinto that was sold or put in the scrap
yard(like OE was) years ago.

Looking back, Photo Gallery while never the lead program(or intended to
be) in the Essentials suite, proved to be the most long term useful of
the entire Essentials suite.
Even though its 'sign in' features no longer function for its design
intent integration, it still works with OneDrive(and in Windows 11 too)
- just add the OneDrive folder to PG's Gallery. Then it's just a matter
or placing a file(copy, move, save) etc in the OneDrive local folder or
add a file in the OneDrive web UI and it's available in PG.

Glad to hear someone still recognizing its usefulness.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<ulp8cm$3fahv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76596&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76596

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 05:54:12 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:54 UTC

On 12/17/2023 11:36 PM, Boris wrote:

> Yes. That is what I meant in my OP...that my Windows 10 system didn't
> use IDE cabling. I haven't seen that since XP/NT, with master and slave
> dip swithces.
>
> But, it is mysterious (to me) as to why systems running SATA drives
> sometimes show IDE in the device manager:
>
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/0rn2fRQ

This sounds like Compatible Mode (look in the BIOS, if this is
a Retail Motherboard and a home-built computer). Both my sample
systems, where I could demonstrate all the modes, died. I can no
longer take pictures of such (the full set of modes).

It was designed before your sixth generation, to allow Windows 98
to run on a Core2 system.

Win98 only ran on IDE control/data interface. With particular
interrupts. Intel designed a mode in the Southbridge, so
that four SATA cables, would "appear" to Windows 98, to
be two IDE cables. It was to fool the OS, that's why they
did it. Some chipsets with six SATA ports, were split into
a four port section and a two port section, and the four port
section corresponded to a Win98 emulation section.

If Windows 98 had "just used any old storage device", then
as long as a driver existed, it could have dealt with the mode
of operation.

It looks like I cannot find an authoritative article quickly,
so here goes, from memory:

Compatible IDE registers in I/O space, with three digit hex address, Int#14 int#15.
Native IDE registers in PCI space, relative to a BAR (base address register)

AHCI (Modern SATA, but still similar in nature
RAID to the Native case, registers relative to a PCI/PCIe BAR)

To this day, the SATA may be labeled by utilities as being
Master and Slave cables. A red cable could be a Master drive
or a red cable could be a Slave drive, but it is a meaningless
label for any practical OS purpose. Political correctness could
have removed such labels from utilities. Once the Compatible mode
disappears, there is less of a reason to be keeping the Master
and Slave labels. The thing was, you could be in one of the other
modes, and back then, a utility would *still* label the cables
as Master and Slave. There was no jumper on the drive for Master
or Slave, so the whole notion was made up.

On a physical IDE ribbon cable, there was more protocol and wiring details
around the Master and Slave and Cable Select (CS). Your selections
with jumpers, mattered back then.

Some OSes had in-box drivers. WinXP for example, had both Compatible IDE
as well as Native IDE, but it did not have AHCI. It's possible Vista
added AHCI to the set. It was either Vista or Win7. There were also
a limited set of in-box RAID drivers. Maybe none of the OSes could
work your expensive Areca RAID (I think one of their cards had 24 SATA
ports on it).

Paul

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<XnsB0DFA2B23E7F9Borisinvalidinvalid@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=76626&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#76626

From: Boris@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 23:59:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 23:59 UTC

Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote in

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:16f9t4phjjvjk.dlg@v.nguard.lh:
>
>> Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:
>>
>>> =?UTF-8?B?Li4ud8Khw7HCp8KxwqTDsSA=?= <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> I ran the last DISM command in the instructions, RestoreHealth, and
>>> rebooted. No change, still slow to boot and settle down.
>>>
>>> Still following the instructions, I checked for updates, and there
>>> were two Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender
>>> Antivirus. Both installed successfully.
>>>
>>> Restart, and disable Microsoft Defender. suggested by VanguardLH.
>>> No change
>>>
>>> Next, I hid all Microsoft services, disabled the rest, and rebooted.
>>> There was a significant reduction in load up time, which included
>>> the painting of all desktop and task bar icons. And, disk activity
>>> settled down to 0 to 10 percent activity noticeably quicker.
>>> (Occassionally, it went up to 20 to 30 percent. I guess that's what
>>> Paul talks about, Windows is always doing something.)
>>>
>>> But, Programs still take a long time to start up when first
>>> launched.
>>>
>>> I've started on Paul's suggestions, but I think I'll first re-enable
>>> all programs in the System Configurations Startup tab.
>>
>> Did you disable the Windows Indexing service, too?
>>
>> If that helps, whether or not you reenable the service depends on
>> whether or not you ever use it. I don't. Instead I use [Search]
>> Everything from voidtools. It also has an indexing service, but
>> doesn't seem to impact the file system as much.
>>

> Ahhh...hadn't thought of that or done that. I just now disabled it.
>
> I will have to reboot and see the effects tomorrow morning.
>
> I don't use Windows indexing. Way too slow. I also use Everything,
> amazingly fast.
>
> Thanks.

I forgot to reply that disabling Windows indexing made no difference.
(I also left it disabled.)

Re: 100% Disk Usage?

<XnsB0DFBA3AB8428Borisinvalidinvalid@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid