Does a one-legged duck swim in a circle?

interests / alt.usage.english / Con pane --> Company

SubjectAuthor
* Con pane --> Companyoccam
+* Re: Con pane --> CompanyJanet
|`* Re: Con pane --> CompanySam Plusnet
| +* Re: Con pane --> CompanyPaul Wolff
| |`* Re: Con pane --> CompanyBebercito
| | `* Re: Con pane --> CompanyPaul Wolff
| |  `- Re: Con pane --> CompanyPeter Moylan
| +- Re: Con pane --> CompanyBertel Lund Hansen
| `- Re: Con pane --> Companylar3ryca
+* Re: Con pane --> CompanyBebercito
|`* Re: Con pane --> CompanyBebercito
| +* Re: Con pane --> Companyoccam
| |`- Re: Con pane --> CompanySnidely
| `- Re: Con pane --> CompanyBertel Lund Hansen
+* Re: Con pane --> CompanyPeter Moylan
|`* Re: Con pane --> Companyoccam
| +- Re: Con pane --> CompanyChris Elvidge
| +* Re: Con pane --> CompanyAdam Funk
| |+* Re: Con pane --> Companyoccam
| ||`- Re: Con pane --> CompanyAdam Funk
| |+* Re: Con pane --> CompanySilvano
| ||`- Re: Con pane --> CompanyPeter Moylan
| |+* Re: Con pane --> CompanyJ. J. Lodder
| ||+- Re: Con pane --> CompanyPeter Moylan
| ||`* Re: Con pane --> CompanyAdam Funk
| || `* Re: Con pane --> CompanyHVS
| ||  +- Re: Con pane --> CompanyJ. J. Lodder
| ||  +* Re: Con pane --> CompanyPeter Moylan
| ||  |+- Re: Con pane --> CompanyJ. J. Lodder
| ||  |`- Re: Con pane --> CompanySam Plusnet
| ||  `- Re: Con pane --> CompanyAdam Funk
| |`* Re: Con pane --> CompanyPeter Moylan
| | `* Re: Con pane --> CompanySnidely
| |  +- Re: Con pane --> CompanyRich Ulrich
| |  `* Re: Con pane --> CompanySam Plusnet
| |   +- Re: Con pane --> CompanyJ. J. Lodder
| |   `- Re: Con pane --> CompanySilvano
| `* Re: Con pane --> CompanyPaul Wolff
|  +- Re: Con pane --> CompanyJ. J. Lodder
|  +* Re: Con pane --> CompanySilvano
|  |+- Re: Con pane --> CompanyJ. J. Lodder
|  |`* Re: Con pane --> CompanyPaul Wolff
|  | `- Re: Con pane --> CompanyHVS
|  `- Re: Con pane --> Companyoccam
`* Re: Con pane --> CompanyHibou
 `- Re: Con pane --> CompanyBertel Lund Hansen

Pages:12
Con pane --> Company

<l3ori5Fda4cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202753&group=alt.usage.english#202753

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Con pane --> Company
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 13:04:21 +0100
 by: occam - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 12:04 UTC

Listening to a BBC Radio program 'Word of mouth' - all about words and
their etymology - I was taken aback by the history of the word 'company'.

We tend to use the word mainly for an assembly of people who come
together for common a purpose e.g. business or organised activity. Yes,
the word is also used mean a guest ('we have company') but not so common.

According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people would
get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too dissimilar to the
French word copain ('a close friend') which describes someone you would
share bread with.

Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?

Re: Con pane --> Company

<MPG.4041774df7029dd3989bd9@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202757&group=alt.usage.english#202757

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Con pane --> Company
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 15:23:31 -0000
 by: Janet - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 15:23 UTC

In article <l3ori5Fda4cU1@mid.individual.net>,
occam@nowhere.nix says...

> Listening to a BBC Radio program 'Word of mouth' - all about words and
> their etymology - I was taken aback by the history of the word 'company'.
>
> We tend to use the word mainly for an assembly of people who come
> together for common a purpose e.g. business or organised activity. Yes,
> the word is also used mean a guest ('we have company') but not so common.
>
> According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
> pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people would
> get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too dissimilar to the
> French word copain ('a close friend') which describes someone you would
> share bread with.
>
> Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?

Crumbs

Janet

Re: Con pane --> Company

<PvNBN.420536$xHn7.320069@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202761&group=alt.usage.english#202761

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:45:52 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:45 UTC

On 22-Feb-24 15:23, Janet wrote:
> In article <l3ori5Fda4cU1@mid.individual.net>,
> occam@nowhere.nix says...
>>
>> Listening to a BBC Radio program 'Word of mouth' - all about words and
>> their etymology - I was taken aback by the history of the word 'company'.
>>
>> We tend to use the word mainly for an assembly of people who come
>> together for common a purpose e.g. business or organised activity. Yes,
>> the word is also used mean a guest ('we have company') but not so common.
>>
>> According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
>> pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people would
>> get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too dissimilar to the
>> French word copain ('a close friend') which describes someone you would
>> share bread with.
>>
>> Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?
>
> Crumbs
Doh!

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Con pane --> Company

<6uc6MAdI261lFATj@wolff.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202762&group=alt.usage.english#202762

From: bounceme@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk (Paul Wolff)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 20:24:40 +0000
 by: Paul Wolff - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 20:24 UTC

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024, at 19:45:52, Sam Plusnet posted:
>On 22-Feb-24 15:23, Janet wrote:
>> In article <l3ori5Fda4cU1@mid.individual.net>,
>> occam@nowhere.nix says...
>>>
>>> Listening to a BBC Radio program 'Word of mouth' - all about words and
>>> their etymology - I was taken aback by the history of the word 'company'.
>>>
>>> We tend to use the word mainly for an assembly of people who come
>>> together for common a purpose e.g. business or organised activity. Yes,
>>> the word is also used mean a guest ('we have company') but not so common.
>>>
>>> According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
>>> pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people would
>>> get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too dissimilar to the
>>> French word copain ('a close friend') which describes someone you would
>>> share bread with.
>>>
>>> Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?
>> Crumbs
>Doh!

Cryptic crosswords can throw up some delightful ingenuities. here's a
clue from a few weeks ago:
Measure of a fraction of a loaf? (7 letters).
--
Paul W

Re: Con pane --> Company

<ur8biu$2o71$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202763&group=alt.usage.english#202763

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:42:06 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 20:42 UTC

Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
>>> pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people would
>>> get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too dissimilar to the
>>> French word copain ('a close friend') which describes someone you would
>>> share bread with.
>>>
>>> Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?
>>
>> Crumbs

> Doh!

Yeast a minute.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Con pane --> Company

<6a773abb81a93fd8acae08ed996b131b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202765&group=alt.usage.english#202765

From: bebercito@aol.com (Bebercito)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:38:12 +0000
 by: Bebercito - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:38 UTC

occam wrote:

> Listening to a BBC Radio program 'Word of mouth' - all about words and
> their etymology - I was taken aback by the history of the word 'company'.

> We tend to use the word mainly for an assembly of people who come
> together for common a purpose e.g. business or organised activity. Yes,
> the word is also used mean a guest ('we have company') but not so common.

> According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
> pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people would
> get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too dissimilar to the
> French word copain ('a close friend') which describes someone you would
> share bread with.

> Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?

Re: Con pane --> Company

<5fb20fc701843eaede5283778decd12b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202766&group=alt.usage.english#202766

From: bebercito@aol.com (Bebercito)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:54:27 +0000
 by: Bebercito - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:54 UTC

All you knead is loaf.

Re: Con pane --> Company

<l3q14tFkdt8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202768&group=alt.usage.english#202768

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 23:45:49 +0100
 by: occam - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 22:45 UTC

On 22/02/2024 22:54, Bebercito wrote:
> All you knead is loaf.

<bravo!>

Re: Con pane --> Company

<ur8j7a$4efd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202770&group=alt.usage.english#202770

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:52:24 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 22:52 UTC

On 22/02/24 23:04, occam wrote:
> Listening to a BBC Radio program 'Word of mouth' - all about words
> and their etymology - I was taken aback by the history of the word
> 'company'.
>
> We tend to use the word mainly for an assembly of people who come
> together for common a purpose e.g. business or organised activity.
> Yes, the word is also used mean a guest ('we have company') but not
> so common.
>
> According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
> pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people
> would get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too
> dissimilar to the French word copain ('a close friend') which
> describes someone you would share bread with.
>
> Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?

Etymonline has a similar explanation, but says it comes from Latin via
French, rather than Italian. But perhaps the word companio comes from an
era where Italian and Latin were almost the same language.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Con pane --> Company

<ur9ejn$d4h1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202773&group=alt.usage.english#202773

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 06:39:51 +0000
 by: Hibou - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 06:39 UTC

Le 22/02/2024 à 12:04, occam a écrit :

> Listening to a BBC Radio program 'Word of mouth' - all about words and
> their etymology - I was taken aback by the history of the word 'company'.
>
> We tend to use the word mainly for an assembly of people who come
> together for common a purpose e.g. business or organised activity. Yes,
> the word is also used mean a guest ('we have company') but not so common.
>
> According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
> pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people would
> get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too dissimilar to the
> French word copain ('a close friend') which describes someone you would
> share bread with.
>
> Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?

Companies mostly exist to make bread.

Re: Con pane --> Company

<1329c2072cba5ef1813a3043dccd10a1@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202774&group=alt.usage.english#202774

From: bebercito@aol.com (Bebercito)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 06:49:43 +0000
 by: Bebercito - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 06:49 UTC

Paul Wolff wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2024, at 19:45:52, Sam Plusnet posted:
>>On 22-Feb-24 15:23, Janet wrote:
>>> In article <l3ori5Fda4cU1@mid.individual.net>,
>>> occam@nowhere.nix says...

>>> Crumbs
>>Doh!
>>
> Cryptic crosswords can throw up some delightful ingenuities. here's a
> clue from a few weeks ago:
> Measure of a fraction of a loaf? (7 letters).

Neurone?

Re: Con pane --> Company

<ur9lh5$ehfu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202775&group=alt.usage.english#202775

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:37:57 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 08:37 UTC

Bebercito wrote:

> All you knead is loaf.

Great!

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Con pane --> Company

<ur9lrs$eki0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202776&group=alt.usage.english#202776

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:43:40 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 08:43 UTC

Hibou wrote:

>> According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
>> pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people would
>> get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too dissimilar to the
>> French word copain ('a close friend') which describes someone you would
>> share bread with.
>>
>> Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?
>
> Companies mostly exist to make bread.

And the coworkers are called breaðren.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Con pane --> Company

<l3r7psFq21eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202779&group=alt.usage.english#202779

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:45:32 +0100
 by: occam - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:45 UTC

On 22/02/2024 23:52, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 22/02/24 23:04, occam wrote:
>> Listening to a BBC Radio program 'Word of mouth' - all about words
>> and their etymology - I was taken aback by the history of the word
>> 'company'.
>>
>> We tend to use the word mainly for an assembly of people who come
>> together for common a purpose e.g. business or organised activity.
>> Yes, the word is also used mean a guest ('we have company') but not
>> so common.
>>
>> According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
>> pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people
>> would get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too
>> dissimilar to the French word copain ('a close friend') which
>> describes someone you would share bread with.
>>
>> Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?
>
> Etymonline has a similar explanation, but says it comes from Latin via
> French, rather than Italian. But perhaps the word companio comes from an
> era where Italian and Latin were almost the same language.

I'd go with the Italians, who were, at the time, miles ahead of anyone
else when it came to business and money matters.

Same for 'Bank'. I'd heard the explanation that it came from the French
'banc' - based on the benches on which money deals were transacted. The
Italian for a bench is 'banco'. Plus the Italians had the Medici, the
Holy Roman Empire and a succession of 'firsts' in banking, way before
anyone else in Europe. (For a long time I used to think Lombard Bank
and a UK bank. Then the penny dropped.)

Re: Con pane --> Company

<ura6ie$i8u9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202791&group=alt.usage.english#202791

From: chris@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 13:28:45 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 13:28 UTC

On 23/02/2024 09:45, occam wrote:
> On 22/02/2024 23:52, Peter Moylan wrote:
>> On 22/02/24 23:04, occam wrote:
>>> Listening to a BBC Radio program 'Word of mouth' - all about words
>>> and their etymology - I was taken aback by the history of the word
>>> 'company'.
>>>
>>> We tend to use the word mainly for an assembly of people who come
>>> together for common a purpose e.g. business or organised activity.
>>> Yes, the word is also used mean a guest ('we have company') but not
>>> so common.
>>>
>>> According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
>>> pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people
>>> would get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too
>>> dissimilar to the French word copain ('a close friend') which
>>> describes someone you would share bread with.
>>>
>>> Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?
>>
>> Etymonline has a similar explanation, but says it comes from Latin via
>> French, rather than Italian. But perhaps the word companio comes from an
>> era where Italian and Latin were almost the same language.
>>

> I'd go with the Italians, who were, at the time, miles ahead of anyone
> else when it came to business and money matters.
>
> Same for 'Bank'. I'd heard the explanation that it came from the French
> 'banc' - based on the benches on which money deals were transacted. The
> Italian for a bench is 'banco'. Plus the Italians had the Medici, the
> Holy Roman Empire and a succession of 'firsts' in banking, way before
> anyone else in Europe. (For a long time I used to think Lombard Bank
> and a UK bank. Then the penny dropped.)

Holy Roman Empire (800CE) != Roman Empire (31BCE)

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL NOT STRUT AROUND LIKE I OWN THE PLACE

Re: Con pane --> Company

<6hrmakxa34.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202794&group=alt.usage.english#202794

From: a24061@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:51:34 +0000
 by: Adam Funk - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:51 UTC

On 2024-02-23, occam wrote:

> On 22/02/2024 23:52, Peter Moylan wrote:
>> On 22/02/24 23:04, occam wrote:
>>> Listening to a BBC Radio program 'Word of mouth' - all about words
>>> and their etymology - I was taken aback by the history of the word
>>> 'company'.
>>>
>>> We tend to use the word mainly for an assembly of people who come
>>> together for common a purpose e.g. business or organised activity.
>>> Yes, the word is also used mean a guest ('we have company') but not
>>> so common.
>>>
>>> According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
>>> pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people
>>> would get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too
>>> dissimilar to the French word copain ('a close friend') which
>>> describes someone you would share bread with.
>>>
>>> Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?
>>
>> Etymonline has a similar explanation, but says it comes from Latin via
>> French, rather than Italian. But perhaps the word companio comes from an
>> era where Italian and Latin were almost the same language.
>>

> I'd go with the Italians, who were, at the time, miles ahead of anyone
> else when it came to business and money matters.
>
> Same for 'Bank'. I'd heard the explanation that it came from the French
> 'banc' - based on the benches on which money deals were transacted. The
> Italian for a bench is 'banco'. Plus the Italians had the Medici, the
> Holy Roman Empire and a succession of 'firsts' in banking, way before
> anyone else in Europe. (For a long time I used to think Lombard Bank
> and a UK bank. Then the penny dropped.)

The Holy Roman Empire included some of what's now Italy at various
times but it was predominantly German.

--
....the reason why so many professional artists drink a lot is not
necessarily very much to do with the artistic temperament, etc. It is

Re: Con pane --> Company

<uragjm$kg4f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202795&group=alt.usage.english#202795

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:20:06 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 16:20 UTC

On 2024-02-22 13:45, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 22-Feb-24 15:23, Janet wrote:
>> In article <l3ori5Fda4cU1@mid.individual.net>,
>> occam@nowhere.nix says...
>>>
>>> Listening to a BBC Radio program 'Word of mouth' - all about words and
>>> their etymology - I was taken aback by the history of the word
>>> 'company'.
>>>
>>> We tend to use the word mainly for an assembly of people who come
>>> together for common a purpose e.g. business or organised activity.  Yes,
>>> the word is also used mean a guest ('we have company') but not so
>>> common.
>>>
>>> According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
>>> pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people would
>>> get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too dissimilar to the
>>> French word copain ('a close friend') which describes someone you would
>>> share bread with.
>>>
>>> Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?
>>
>>    Crumbs
> Doh!

Yeast is yeast and nest is nest, and never the mane shall tweet>

--
veni, vidi, velcro.

Re: Con pane --> Company

<l3s2emFu6dbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202798&group=alt.usage.english#202798

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 18:20:21 +0100
 by: occam - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 17:20 UTC

On 23/02/2024 16:51, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2024-02-23, occam wrote:

>>> Etymonline has a similar explanation, but says it comes from Latin via
>>> French, rather than Italian. But perhaps the word companio comes from an
>>> era where Italian and Latin were almost the same language.
>>>

>> I'd go with the Italians, who were, at the time, miles ahead of anyone
>> else when it came to business and money matters.
>>
>> Same for 'Bank'. I'd heard the explanation that it came from the French
>> 'banc' - based on the benches on which money deals were transacted. The
>> Italian for a bench is 'banco'. Plus the Italians had the Medici, the
>> Holy Roman Empire and a succession of 'firsts' in banking, way before
>> anyone else in Europe. (For a long time I used to think Lombard Bank
>> and a UK bank. Then the penny dropped.)
>
> The Holy Roman Empire included some of what's now Italy at various
> times but it was predominantly German.

....headquartered where? QED.

Re: Con pane --> Company

<urak9b$lee9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202799&group=alt.usage.english#202799

From: Silvano@noncisonopernessuno.it (Silvano)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 18:22:53 +0100
 by: Silvano - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 17:22 UTC

Adam Funk hat am 23.02.2024 um 16:51 geschrieben:
> On 2024-02-23, occam wrote:

>>> Etymonline has a similar explanation, but says it comes from Latin via
>>> French, rather than Italian. But perhaps the word companio comes from an
>>> era where Italian and Latin were almost the same language.

Companio? In which language? In Italian it's "compagno".

>> I'd go with the Italians, who were, at the time, miles ahead of anyone
>> else when it came to business and money matters.
>>
>> Same for 'Bank'. I'd heard the explanation that it came from the French
>> 'banc' - based on the benches on which money deals were transacted. The
>> Italian for a bench is 'banco'. Plus the Italians had the Medici, the
>> Holy Roman Empire and a succession of 'firsts' in banking, way before
>> anyone else in Europe. (For a long time I used to think Lombard Bank
>> and a UK bank. Then the penny dropped.)
>
> The Holy Roman Empire included some of what's now Italy at various
> times but it was predominantly German.

And by the time bankers had become established in Lombardy and Tuscany,
the Italian independent medieval communes may have been a nominal part
of the Holy Roman Empire, but those German emperors who tried to
establish their authority there were not well received.
For starters: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Barbarossa> and
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guelphs_and_Ghibellines>

Re: Con pane --> Company

<1qpe71t.7yxhopudrepzN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202804&group=alt.usage.english#202804

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 23:18:06 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 22:18 UTC

Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> wrote:

> On 2024-02-23, occam wrote:

> >> Etymonline has a similar explanation, but says it comes from Latin via
> >> French, rather than Italian. But perhaps the word companio comes from an
> >> era where Italian and Latin were almost the same language.
> >>

> > I'd go with the Italians, who were, at the time, miles ahead of anyone
> > else when it came to business and money matters.
> >
> > Same for 'Bank'. I'd heard the explanation that it came from the French
> > 'banc' - based on the benches on which money deals were transacted. The
> > Italian for a bench is 'banco'. Plus the Italians had the Medici, the
> > Holy Roman Empire and a succession of 'firsts' in banking, way before
> > anyone else in Europe. (For a long time I used to think Lombard Bank
> > and a UK bank. Then the penny dropped.)
>
> The Holy Roman Empire included some of what's now Italy at various
> times but it was predominantly German.

Sure, and as the saying goes, all the time it existed
it was neither Holy, nor Roman,

Jan

Re: Con pane --> Company

<urb6et$pdg1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202805&group=alt.usage.english#202805

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:33:01 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 22:33 UTC

On 24/02/24 04:22, Silvano wrote:
> Adam Funk hat am 23.02.2024 um 16:51 geschrieben:

> Companio? In which language? In Italian it's "compagno".

Companio was Late Latin, a development from earlier com panis.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Con pane --> Company

<urb6gl$pdg1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202806&group=alt.usage.english#202806

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:33:56 +1100

On 24/02/24 02:51, Adam Funk wrote:

> The Holy Roman Empire included some of what's now Italy at various
> times but it was predominantly German.

It wasn't holy, it wasn't Roman, and it wasn't an empire. But otherwise ...

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Con pane --> Company

<urb6i0$pdg1$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202807&group=alt.usage.english#202807

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:34:39 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 22:34 UTC

On 24/02/24 09:18, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> wrote:

>> The Holy Roman Empire included some of what's now Italy at various
>> times but it was predominantly German.
>
> Sure, and as the saying goes, all the time it existed
> it was neither Holy, nor Roman,

Rats! Preplagiarised again.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Con pane --> Company

<mn.bc1b7e82acf8e364.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202813&group=alt.usage.english#202813

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 17:31:58 -0800
 by: Snidely - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:31 UTC

On Thursday or thereabouts, occam declared ...
> On 22/02/2024 22:54, Bebercito wrote:
>> All you knead is loaf.
>
> <bravo!>

Indeed!

-d

--
"I'm glad unicorns don't ever need upgrades."
"We are as up as it is possible to get graded!"

Re: Con pane --> Company

<mn.bc207e82b49b3908.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=202814&group=alt.usage.english#202814

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 17:36:14 -0800
 by: Snidely - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:36 UTC

Just this Friday, Peter Moylan explained that ...
> On 24/02/24 02:51, Adam Funk wrote:
>
>> The Holy Roman Empire included some of what's now Italy at various
>> times but it was predominantly German.
>
> It wasn't holy, it wasn't Roman, and it wasn't an empire. But otherwise ...

Yes, but ...

It claimed Holy and Roman by virtue of investiture by the Pope ...
which happened once, by the 9th C version of a Zoom call.

/dps

--
And the Raiders and the Broncos have life now in the West. I thought
they were both nearly dead if not quite really most sincerely dead. --