Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths good theatre. -- Gail Godwin

interests / alt.usage.english / Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

SubjectAuthor
* Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarySnidely
+- Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarySnidely
`* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarylar3ryca
 +* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarySnidely
 |`* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarySnidely
 | `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryPeter Moylan
 |  +- Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarySnidely
 |  `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarySnidely
 |   `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryJ. J. Lodder
 |    `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarySnidely
 |     `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryJ. J. Lodder
 |      `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarySnidely
 |       `- Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryRoss Clark
 +- Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryAthel Cornish-Bowden
 `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryMadhu
  +* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryHibou
  |`- Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarySnidely
  `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarylar3ryca
   +- Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryKerr-Mudd, John
   +* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryTony Cooper
   |`* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarylar3ryca
   | `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarySnidely
   |  +- Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarylar3ryca
   |  `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryAthel Cornish-Bowden
   |   `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarySnidely
   |    `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryAthel Cornish-Bowden
   |     +- Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryPaul Wolff
   |     `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarySnidely
   |      `* Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryAthel Cornish-Bowden
   |       +- Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryPeter Moylan
   |       `- Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summarySnidely
   `- Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summaryPeter Moylan

Pages:12
Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<mn.5c877e839859050b.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203425&group=alt.usage.english#203425

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:19:01 -0700
 by: Snidely - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 02:19 UTC

This year's roundup on KUSC of the Oscar nominees includes the tracks
being discussed. 2 of the interviews are not with the composers ...
/Oppenheimer/ composer Ludwig Göransson is represented by Jon
Burlingame, film music historian and author who has talked with the
composer. Robbie Robertson's posthumous nomination for /Killers of the
Flower Moon/ is discussed by his longtime manager Jared Levine.

Laura Karpman, nominated for /American Fiction/, Jerskin Fendrix of
/Poor Things/, and the evergreen John Williams with the score of
/Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny/ all speak for themselves.

I think there's some very meaty use of language in the interviews, as
well excellent music.

Find the streams at
<URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>
<URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-robbie-robertsons-killers-of-the-flower-moon>
<URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-laura-karpman>
<URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-jerskin-fendrix>
<URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>

/dps

--
There's nothing inherently wrong with Big Data. What matters, as it
does for Arnold Lund in California or Richard Rothman in Baltimore, are

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<mn.5c8d7e83daed0c64.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203426&group=alt.usage.english#203426

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:25:03 -0700
 by: Snidely - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 02:25 UTC

Snidely pounded on thar keyboard to tell us
> This year's roundup on KUSC of the Oscar nominees includes the tracks being
> discussed. 2 of the interviews are not with the composers ... /Oppenheimer/
> composer Ludwig Göransson is represented by Jon Burlingame, film music
> historian and author who has talked with the composer. Robbie Robertson's
> posthumous nomination for /Killers of the Flower Moon/ is discussed by his
> longtime manager Jared Levine.
>
> Laura Karpman, nominated for /American Fiction/, Jerskin Fendrix of /Poor
> Things/, and the evergreen John Williams with the score of /Indiana Jones and
> the Dial of Destiny/ all speak for themselves.
>
> I think there's some very meaty use of language in the interviews, as well
> excellent music.
>
> Find the streams at
> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>
> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-robbie-robertsons-killers-of-the-flower-moon>
> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-laura-karpman>
> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-jerskin-fendrix>
> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>

oops, left off Ludwig's link ...
<URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-ludwig-goeranssons-score-to-oppenheimer>

He was also the subject of a 2018 nomination, /Black Panther/, and
speaks for himself in the interview:
<URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/ludwig-goransson-black-panther>

/dps

--
"Maintaining a really good conspiracy requires far more intelligent
application, by a large number of people, than the world can readily

Sam Plusnet

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<usoksn$3mu5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203428&group=alt.usage.english#203428

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:15:19 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 04:15 UTC

On 2024-03-11 20:19, Snidely wrote:
> This year's roundup on KUSC of the Oscar nominees includes the tracks
> being discussed.  2 of the interviews are not with the composers ...
> /Oppenheimer/ composer Ludwig Göransson is represented by Jon
> Burlingame, film music historian and author who has talked with the
> composer.  Robbie Robertson's posthumous nomination for /Killers of the
> Flower Moon/ is discussed by his longtime manager Jared Levine.
>
> Laura Karpman, nominated for /American Fiction/, Jerskin Fendrix of
> /Poor Things/, and the evergreen John Williams with the score of
> /Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny/ all speak for themselves.
>
> I think there's some very meaty use of language in the interviews, as
> well excellent music.
>
> Find the streams at
> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>
> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-robbie-robertsons-killers-of-the-flower-moon>
> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-laura-karpman>
> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-jerskin-fendrix>
> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>

The Morning Show on a local TV station has a "Question of the Day".
This morning it was "What did you enjoy most about the Oscars?"

I answered "That it was on a channel I wasn't watching."

They didn't show it.

--
I tried to put my horse into a Hubble Barn,
But it didn't fit.

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<mn.5d0e7e833ab77505.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203429&group=alt.usage.english#203429

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:34:30 -0700
 by: Snidely - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 04:34 UTC

Watch this space, where lar3ryca advised that...
> On 2024-03-11 20:19, Snidely wrote:
>> This year's roundup on KUSC of the Oscar nominees includes the tracks being
>> discussed.  2 of the interviews are not with the composers ...
>> /Oppenheimer/ composer Ludwig Göransson is represented by Jon Burlingame,
>> film music historian and author who has talked with the composer.  Robbie
>> Robertson's posthumous nomination for /Killers of the Flower Moon/ is
>> discussed by his longtime manager Jared Levine.
>>
>> Laura Karpman, nominated for /American Fiction/, Jerskin Fendrix of /Poor
>> Things/, and the evergreen John Williams with the score of /Indiana Jones
>> and the Dial of Destiny/ all speak for themselves.
>>
>> I think there's some very meaty use of language in the interviews, as well
>> excellent music.
>>
>> Find the streams at
>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>
>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-robbie-robertsons-killers-of-the-flower-moon>
>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-laura-karpman>
>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-jerskin-fendrix>
>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>
>
> The Morning Show on a local TV station has a "Question of the Day".
> This morning it was "What did you enjoy most about the Oscars?"
>
> I answered "That it was on a channel I wasn't watching."
>
> They didn't show it.

The Oscar Show doesn't spend much (if any) time on the scores except as
as they show up in the clips used for other purposes. But if you have
any musical chops, you should seriously consider listening to these
interviews, which are not really red carpet stuff.

These are composer's thoughts, and worth attention.

/dps

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<mn.5d177e83d1bfce2f.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203431&group=alt.usage.english#203431

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:43:52 -0700
 by: Snidely - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 04:43 UTC

Snidely submitted this gripping article, maybe on Monday:
> Watch this space, where lar3ryca advised that...
>> On 2024-03-11 20:19, Snidely wrote:
>>> This year's roundup on KUSC of the Oscar nominees includes the tracks
>>> being discussed.  2 of the interviews are not with the composers ...
>>> /Oppenheimer/ composer Ludwig Göransson is represented by Jon Burlingame,
>>> film music historian and author who has talked with the composer.  Robbie
>>> Robertson's posthumous nomination for /Killers of the Flower Moon/ is
>>> discussed by his longtime manager Jared Levine.
>>>
>>> Laura Karpman, nominated for /American Fiction/, Jerskin Fendrix of /Poor
>>> Things/, and the evergreen John Williams with the score of /Indiana Jones
>>> and the Dial of Destiny/ all speak for themselves.
>>>
>>> I think there's some very meaty use of language in the interviews, as well
>>> excellent music.
>>>
>>> Find the streams at
>>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>
>>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-robbie-robertsons-killers-of-the-flower-moon>
>>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-laura-karpman>
>>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-jerskin-fendrix>
>>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>
>>
>> The Morning Show on a local TV station has a "Question of the Day".
>> This morning it was "What did you enjoy most about the Oscars?"
>>
>> I answered "That it was on a channel I wasn't watching."
>>
>> They didn't show it.
>
> The Oscar Show doesn't spend much (if any) time on the scores except as as
> they show up in the clips used for other purposes. But if you have any
> musical chops, you should seriously consider listening to these interviews,
> which are not really red carpet stuff.
>
> These are composer's thoughts, and worth attention.

I see that while I was cleaning stalls last night, Jimmy Kimmel was
hosting the red carpet event. Damn, I meant to make my post before the
awards were announced. Maybe I should have looked at a calendar.

Spoiler alert: I see in the category I was interested in, Ludwig
Göransson's /Oppenheimer/ got the statuette, and six others, including
Best Cinematography.

/dps

--
As a colleague once told me about an incoming manager,
"He does very well in a suck-up, kick-down culture."

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<usp8kd$7i3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203447&group=alt.usage.english#203447

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 20:52:08 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 09:52 UTC

On 12/03/24 15:43, Snidely wrote:

> Spoiler alert: I see in the category I was interested in, Ludwig
> Göransson's /Oppenheimer/ got the statuette, and six others,
> including Best Cinematography.

I saw /Oppnheimer/ at a time when everyone was talking about
/Barbenheimer/. As it happened /Barbie/ was playing in another theater
in the same complex, and it got the larger audience.

From comments I've heard since, I don't think I missed anything by
skipping /Barbie/.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<l5anhtF6m0fU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203449&group=alt.usage.english#203449

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 11:02:37 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 10:02 UTC

On 2024-03-12 04:15:19 +0000, lar3ryca said:

> On 2024-03-11 20:19, Snidely wrote:
>> This year's roundup on KUSC of the Oscar nominees includes the tracks
>> being discussed.  2 of the interviews are not with the composers ...
>> /Oppenheimer/ composer Ludwig Göransson is represented by Jon
>> Burlingame, film music historian and author who has talked with the
>> composer.  Robbie Robertson's posthumous nomination for /Killers of the
>> Flower Moon/ is discussed by his longtime manager Jared Levine.
>>
>> Laura Karpman, nominated for /American Fiction/, Jerskin Fendrix of
>> /Poor Things/, and the evergreen John Williams with the score of
>> /Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny/ all speak for themselves.
>>
>> I think there's some very meaty use of language in the interviews, as
>> well excellent music.
>>
>> Find the streams at
>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>
>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-robbie-robertsons-killers-of-the-flower-moon>
>>
>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-laura-karpman>
>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-jerskin-fendrix>
>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>
>
> The Morning Show on a local TV station has a "Question of the Day".
> This morning it was "What did you enjoy most about the Oscars?"
>
> I answered "That it was on a channel I wasn't watching."

Well said.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<mn.60df7e839fe1b19c.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203453&group=alt.usage.english#203453

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 03:43:46 -0700
 by: Snidely - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 10:43 UTC

Peter Moylan explained on 3/12/2024 :
> On 12/03/24 15:43, Snidely wrote:
>>
>> Spoiler alert: I see in the category I was interested in, Ludwig
>> Göransson's /Oppenheimer/ got the statuette, and six others,
>> including Best Cinematography.
>
> I saw /Oppnheimer/ at a time when everyone was talking about
> /Barbenheimer/. As it happened /Barbie/ was playing in another theater
> in the same complex, and it got the larger audience.
>
> From comments I've heard since, I don't think I missed anything by
> skipping /Barbie/.

From what I've heard, perhaps it depends on your reaction to the
/Xanth/ series of book (Piers Anthony? Grey cells attempting to
support search).

Wikipedia says

<quote>
Alexandre Desplat, who collaborated with Gerwig on Little Women (2019),
was set to score Barbie in early September 2022.[100] However, by May
2023, he had left the project, and Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt assumed
scoring duties.[101]
</quote>

But the /Barbie/ Oscar was for Best Original Song, by Billie Eilish and
Finneas O'Connell; "What Was I Made For?"

Desplat has had a couple of Oscar scores, /The Grand Budapest Hotel/
and /The Shape of Water/. TGBH won against another Desplat score, /The
Imitation Game/. One wonders if he would gotten an nomination. His
interview was in 2020, but the link is no longer valid.

/dps

--
As a colleague once told me about an incoming manager,
"He does very well in a suck-up, kick-down culture."
Bill in Vancouver

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<mn.60e27e837c81a437.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203454&group=alt.usage.english#203454

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 03:46:43 -0700
 by: Snidely - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 10:46 UTC

Tuesday, Peter Moylan quipped:
> On 12/03/24 15:43, Snidely wrote:
>>
>> Spoiler alert: I see in the category I was interested in, Ludwig
>> Göransson's /Oppenheimer/ got the statuette, and six others,
>> including Best Cinematography.
>
> I saw /Oppnheimer/ at a time when everyone was talking about
> /Barbenheimer/. As it happened /Barbie/ was playing in another theater
> in the same complex, and it got the larger audience.
>
> From comments I've heard since, I don't think I missed anything by
> skipping /Barbie/.

If you jet to California for the weekend, you can hear the Santa
Barbara Symphony "continue the fun with “An Oscar® Celebration:
Favorite Film Clips with Live Orchestra” this weekend at The Grenada
Theatre. Guest conductor Constantine Kisopoulos will lead the musicians
as classic scenes are projected on the giant screen. There’s music from
The Wizard of Oz, swashbuckling from Erich Wolfgang Korngold’s score to
The Adventures of Robin Hood, Max Steiner’s soundtrack to Gone with the
Wind, plus Gershwin’s An American in Paris, Ben Hur by Miklos Rozsa,
and Bernard Hermann’s Citizen Kane."

A KUSC-recommended concert.

/dps

--
"I am not given to exaggeration, and when I say a thing I mean it"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<m3wmq6abnb.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203481&group=alt.usage.english#203481

From: enometh@meer.net (Madhu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 11:58:24 +0530
sha1:X8nu1OXkQ2d6xadKCNsQ4g8roIo=
 by: Madhu - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 06:28 UTC

* lar3ryca <usoksn$3mu5$1@dont-email.me> :
Wrote on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:15:19 -0600:

> On 2024-03-11 20:19, Snidely wrote:
>> This year's roundup on KUSC of the Oscar nominees includes the
>> tracks being discussed.  2 of the interviews are not with the
[snip]
>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>
>
> The Morning Show on a local TV station has a "Question of the Day".
> This morning it was "What did you enjoy most about the Oscars?"
>
> I answered "That it was on a channel I wasn't watching."
>
> They didn't show it.

If my memory serves -- from over two decades ago -- in the US --
whatever program you might have been watching would have been cancelled
and replaced with a rerun so that you were "encouraged" to surf other
channels until you wound up at the channel that was showing the oscars.

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<1qqbuwz.1j9cwof2vwitkN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203482&group=alt.usage.english#203482

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:02:38 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 08:02 UTC

Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tuesday, Peter Moylan quipped:
> > On 12/03/24 15:43, Snidely wrote:
> >>
> >> Spoiler alert: I see in the category I was interested in, Ludwig
> >> Göransson's /Oppenheimer/ got the statuette, and six others,
> >> including Best Cinematography.
> >
> > I saw /Oppnheimer/ at a time when everyone was talking about
> > /Barbenheimer/. As it happened /Barbie/ was playing in another theater
> > in the same complex, and it got the larger audience.
> >
> > From comments I've heard since, I don't think I missed anything by
> > skipping /Barbie/.
>
> If you jet to California for the weekend, you can hear the Santa
> Barbara Symphony "continue the fun with "An Oscar® Celebration:
> Favorite Film Clips with Live Orchestra" this weekend at The Grenada
> Theatre. Guest conductor Constantine Kisopoulos will lead the musicians
> as classic scenes are projected on the giant screen. There's music from
> The Wizard of Oz, swashbuckling from Erich Wolfgang Korngold's score to
> The Adventures of Robin Hood, Max Steiner's soundtrack to Gone with the
> Wind, plus Gershwin's An American in Paris, Ben Hur by Miklos Rozsa,
> and Bernard Hermann's Citizen Kane."

Something entirely different:
I happened to see a 'slapstick orchestra' perform recently.
A 'slapstick orchestra' provides the music with silent movies.
(perhaps with live talking comments)
Some movies came with scores, for others they improvised.

And I learned what a 'slapstick' is.
It is a musical instrument consisting of two pieces of wood,
hinged together. (so a special case of the 'clapper')
At a flick of the wrist it produced a 'slap sound'.

One of the musicians was tasked with producing a 'slap'
when someone on-screen was slapped or just hit,

Jan

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<usrr0h$sh64$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203484&group=alt.usage.english#203484

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:18:09 +0000
 by: Hibou - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:18 UTC

Le 13/03/2024 à 06:28, Madhu a écrit :
> * lar3ryca Wrote on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:15:19 -0600:
>> On 2024-03-11 20:19, Snidely wrote:
>>> This year's roundup on KUSC of the Oscar nominees includes the
>>> tracks being discussed.  2 of the interviews are not with the
> [snip]
>>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>
>>
>> The Morning Show on a local TV station has a "Question of the Day".
>> This morning it was "What did you enjoy most about the Oscars?"
>>
>> I answered "That it was on a channel I wasn't watching."
>>
>> They didn't show it.

I'm with you there. I avoid all that is darling-you-were-wonderful.

> If my memory serves -- from over two decades ago -- in the US --
> whatever program you might have been watching would have been cancelled
> and replaced with a rerun so that you were "encouraged" to surf other
> channels until you wound up at the channel that was showing the oscars.

Was that the reason? I could imagine broadcasters not wanting to air
new, expensive material in competition with a programme that was going
to steal their audience.

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<mn.69027e83f4150bcf.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203491&group=alt.usage.english#203491

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 04:18:03 -0700
 by: Snidely - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 11:18 UTC

On Wednesday or thereabouts, J. J. Lodder asked ...
> Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Tuesday, Peter Moylan quipped:

>>> I saw /Oppnheimer/ at a time when everyone was talking about
>>> /Barbenheimer/. As it happened /Barbie/ was playing in another theater
>>> in the same complex, and it got the larger audience.
>>>
>>> From comments I've heard since, I don't think I missed anything by
>>> skipping /Barbie/.
>>
>> If you jet to California for the weekend, you can hear the Santa
>> Barbara Symphony "continue the fun with "An Oscar® Celebration:
>> Favorite Film Clips with Live Orchestra" this weekend at The Grenada
>> Theatre. Guest conductor Constantine Kisopoulos will lead the musicians
>> as classic scenes are projected on the giant screen. There's music from
>> The Wizard of Oz, swashbuckling from Erich Wolfgang Korngold's score to
>> The Adventures of Robin Hood, Max Steiner's soundtrack to Gone with the
>> Wind, plus Gershwin's An American in Paris, Ben Hur by Miklos Rozsa,
>> and Bernard Hermann's Citizen Kane."
>
> Something entirely different:
> I happened to see a 'slapstick orchestra' perform recently.
> A 'slapstick orchestra' provides the music with silent movies.
> (perhaps with live talking comments)
> Some movies came with scores, for others they improvised.
>
> And I learned what a 'slapstick' is.
> It is a musical instrument consisting of two pieces of wood,
> hinged together. (so a special case of the 'clapper')
> At a flick of the wrist it produced a 'slap sound'.
>
> One of the musicians was tasked with producing a 'slap'
> when someone on-screen was slapped or just hit,
>
> Jan

Ah, percussion instruments. I understand the score for Oppenheimer has
none.

/dps "theater organs had many ranks of pipes, but also many percussion
effects"
[some instruments now found in pizza parlors]

--
"That’s where I end with this kind of conversation: Language is
crucial, and yet not the answer."

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<mn.69097e83c22d2279.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203492&group=alt.usage.english#203492

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 04:25:08 -0700
 by: Snidely - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 11:25 UTC

Hibou speculated:
> Le 13/03/2024 à 06:28, Madhu a écrit :
>> * lar3ryca Wrote on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:15:19 -0600:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> The Morning Show on a local TV station has a "Question of the Day".
>>> This morning it was "What did you enjoy most about the Oscars?"
>>>
>>> I answered "That it was on a channel I wasn't watching."
>>>
>>> They didn't show it.
>
> I'm with you there. I avoid all that is darling-you-were-wonderful.

There is none of that in the links I posted, so you are quite safe if
you desire to understand how a composer works with a director;
Göransson and Nolan had a very tight partnership from before filming
started, for instance, and the composer spent an extended period in
Africa for the earlier film.

>> If my memory serves -- from over two decades ago -- in the US --
>> whatever program you might have been watching would have been cancelled
>> and replaced with a rerun so that you were "encouraged" to surf other
>> channels until you wound up at the channel that was showing the oscars.
>
> Was that the reason? I could imagine broadcasters not wanting to air new,
> expensive material in competition with a programme that was going to steal
> their audience.

There is some counter-programming tried around the Super Bowl and the
World Series, but there is also more filler programs; perhaps you've
seen one or the other at the time of Wimbledon or the World Cup.

(In the US, it takes the Women's National Team to make the roundball a
top TV attraction.)

/dps

--
Why would I want to be alone with my thoughts?
Have you heard some of the shit that comes out of my mouth?

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<ussi8f$112d7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203498&group=alt.usage.english#203498

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:54:55 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:54 UTC

On 2024-03-13 00:28, Madhu wrote:
> * lar3ryca <usoksn$3mu5$1@dont-email.me> :
> Wrote on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:15:19 -0600:
>
>> On 2024-03-11 20:19, Snidely wrote:
>>> This year's roundup on KUSC of the Oscar nominees includes the
>>> tracks being discussed.  2 of the interviews are not with the
> [snip]
>>> <URL:https://www.kusc.org/articles/at-the-movies-john-williams>
>>
>> The Morning Show on a local TV station has a "Question of the Day".
>> This morning it was "What did you enjoy most about the Oscars?"
>>
>> I answered "That it was on a channel I wasn't watching."
>>
>> They didn't show it.
>
> If my memory serves -- from over two decades ago -- in the US --
> whatever program you might have been watching would have been cancelled
> and replaced with a rerun so that you were "encouraged" to surf other
> channels until you wound up at the channel that was showing the oscars.

Faced with sole choice of watching the Oscars, I would exercise the
finger movement to shut the TV off.

This sort of thing drives me batty. During the NFL season, we often find
the news we usually watch at 5PM preempted by an NFL game.

--
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that
there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<20240313163521.0cbc1786d112a6e533b9a6c6@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203500&group=alt.usage.english#203500

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 16:35:21 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 16:35 UTC

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:54:55 -0600
lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> wrote:

> On 2024-03-13 00:28, Madhu wrote:
> > * lar3ryca <usoksn$3mu5$1@dont-email.me> :
> > Wrote on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:15:19 -0600:

> > [snip]
> >>
> >> The Morning Show on a local TV station has a "Question of the Day".
> >> This morning it was "What did you enjoy most about the Oscars?"
> >>
> >> I answered "That it was on a channel I wasn't watching."
> >>
> >> They didn't show it.
> >
> > If my memory serves -- from over two decades ago -- in the US --
> > whatever program you might have been watching would have been cancelled
> > and replaced with a rerun so that you were "encouraged" to surf other
> > channels until you wound up at the channel that was showing the oscars.
> >

> Faced with sole choice of watching the Oscars, I would exercise the
> finger movement to shut the TV off.
>
> This sort of thing drives me batty. During the NFL season, we often find
> the news we usually watch at 5PM preempted by an NFL game.

Whose Nation?

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<lku3vi1rdc0uo40tmkhd8omplikafvhq2s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203503&group=alt.usage.english#203503

From: tonycooper214@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:14:33 -0400
 by: Tony Cooper - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 19:14 UTC

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:54:55 -0600, lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> wrote:

>On 2024-03-13 00:28, Madhu wrote:
>> * lar3ryca <usoksn$3mu5$1@dont-email.me> :
>> Wrote on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:15:19 -0600:

>> [snip]
>>>
>>> The Morning Show on a local TV station has a "Question of the Day".
>>> This morning it was "What did you enjoy most about the Oscars?"
>>>
>>> I answered "That it was on a channel I wasn't watching."
>>>
>>> They didn't show it.
>>
>> If my memory serves -- from over two decades ago -- in the US --
>> whatever program you might have been watching would have been cancelled
>> and replaced with a rerun so that you were "encouraged" to surf other
>> channels until you wound up at the channel that was showing the oscars.
>>

>Faced with sole choice of watching the Oscars, I would exercise the
>finger movement to shut the TV off.
>
>This sort of thing drives me batty. During the NFL season, we often find
>the news we usually watch at 5PM preempted by an NFL game.

Horses for courses. What would drive me batty is the NFL game
preempted by the news.

The news is available from several sources. An NFL game is available
on only one source.

Most newscasts are simply an endless repititon of the same news.

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<1qqdpey.1oaiywhssuclaN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203511&group=alt.usage.english#203511

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 22:16:13 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:16 UTC

Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday or thereabouts, J. J. Lodder asked ...
> > Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Tuesday, Peter Moylan quipped:

> >> If you jet to California for the weekend, you can hear the Santa
> >> Barbara Symphony "continue the fun with "An Oscar® Celebration:
> >> Favorite Film Clips with Live Orchestra" this weekend at The Grenada
> >> Theatre. Guest conductor Constantine Kisopoulos will lead the musicians
> >> as classic scenes are projected on the giant screen. There's music from
> >> The Wizard of Oz, swashbuckling from Erich Wolfgang Korngold's score to
> >> The Adventures of Robin Hood, Max Steiner's soundtrack to Gone with the
> >> Wind, plus Gershwin's An American in Paris, Ben Hur by Miklos Rozsa,
> >> and Bernard Hermann's Citizen Kane."
> >
> > Something entirely different:
> > I happened to see a 'slapstick orchestra' perform recently.
> > A 'slapstick orchestra' provides the music with silent movies.
> > (perhaps with live talking comments)
> > Some movies came with scores, for others they improvised.
> >
> > And I learned what a 'slapstick' is.
> > It is a musical instrument consisting of two pieces of wood,
> > hinged together. (so a special case of the 'clapper')
> > At a flick of the wrist it produced a 'slap sound'.
> >
> > One of the musicians was tasked with producing a 'slap'
> > when someone on-screen was slapped or just hit,
> >
> > Jan
>
> Ah, percussion instruments. I understand the score for Oppenheimer has
> none.

Unless you count the bomb itself.

> /dps "theater organs had many ranks of pipes, but also many percussion
> effects"
> [some instruments now found in pizza parlors]

Mentioned it only because I was happy to learn
that the whole movie genre is named after a particular instrument.

Most of you knew that all along, I guess,

Jan

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<ust64k$15dvg$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203515&group=alt.usage.english#203515

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:34:12 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:34 UTC

On 2024-03-13 13:14, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:54:55 -0600, lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2024-03-13 00:28, Madhu wrote:
>>> * lar3ryca <usoksn$3mu5$1@dont-email.me> :

>>> [snip]

>>> If my memory serves -- from over two decades ago -- in the US --
>>> whatever program you might have been watching would have been cancelled
>>> and replaced with a rerun so that you were "encouraged" to surf other
>>> channels until you wound up at the channel that was showing the oscars.
>>>

>> Faced with sole choice of watching the Oscars, I would exercise the
>> finger movement to shut the TV off.
>>
>> This sort of thing drives me batty. During the NFL season, we often find
>> the news we usually watch at 5PM preempted by an NFL game.
>
> Horses for courses. What would drive me batty is the NFL game
> preempted by the news.
>
> The news is available from several sources. An NFL game is available
> on only one source.

Not so, at least here. The network that carries the news we watch also
has about 8 sports channels none of which carry news. Guess where I
wish they would put the NFL games. Right there where the CFL games
(which I do watch) live.

> Most newscasts are simply an endless repititon of the same news.

There is that, but some are new.

--
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<mn.6b777e8395d19685.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203516&group=alt.usage.english#203516

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:47:38 -0700
 by: Snidely - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:47 UTC

J. J. Lodder submitted this gripping article, maybe on Wednesday:
> Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Something entirely different:
>>> I happened to see a 'slapstick orchestra' perform recently.
>>> A 'slapstick orchestra' provides the music with silent movies.
>>> (perhaps with live talking comments)
>>> Some movies came with scores, for others they improvised.
>>>
>>> And I learned what a 'slapstick' is.
>>> It is a musical instrument consisting of two pieces of wood,
>>> hinged together. (so a special case of the 'clapper')
>>> At a flick of the wrist it produced a 'slap sound'.
>>>
>>> One of the musicians was tasked with producing a 'slap'
>>> when someone on-screen was slapped or just hit,
>>>
>>> Jan
>>
>> Ah, percussion instruments. I understand the score for Oppenheimer has
>> none.
>
> Unless you count the bomb itself.
>
>> /dps "theater organs had many ranks of pipes, but also many percussion
>> effects"
>> [some instruments now found in pizza parlors]
>
> Mentioned it only because I was happy to learn
> that the whole movie genre is named after a particular instrument.
>
> Most of you knew that all along, I guess,
>
> Jan

Well, no. "Slapstick orchestra" is new to me. My knowledge of ilent
movies (by that name) includes accompaniment by theater organs, pianos,
and even piano rolls, but I suppose big theaters could afford a small
orchestra (perhaps similar in size to chamber orchestras or jazz-era
big bands). "Silent movies" is a genre, but it is rather large, with
all the familiar genres represented with in it.

"Slapstick" is something I associate with burlesque and vaudeville, and
their early television hiers. Red Skelton spanned both, Jerry Lewis
came along later.

/dps

--
We’ve learned way more than we wanted to know about the early history
of American professional basketball, like that you could have once

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<mn.6b7e7e83c79d70df.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203517&group=alt.usage.english#203517

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:54:28 -0700
 by: Snidely - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:54 UTC

Just this Wednesday, lar3ryca explained that ...
> On 2024-03-13 13:14, Tony Cooper wrote:

>>> Faced with sole choice of watching the Oscars, I would exercise the
>>> finger movement to shut the TV off.
>>>
>>> This sort of thing drives me batty. During the NFL season, we often find
>>> the news we usually watch at 5PM preempted by an NFL game.
>>
>> Horses for courses. What would drive me batty is the NFL game
>> preempted by the news.
>>
>> The news is available from several sources. An NFL game is available
>> on only one source.
>
> Not so, at least here. The network that carries the news we watch also has
> about 8 sports channels none of which carry news.

That isn't the gist of what Tony said. An NFL game will appear only on
one /channel/. [Not quite true, because PPV aand premium channels can
be in play.]

Even your network won't have the NFL game on two channels, unless I
misunderstand the contract they signed.

> Guess where I wish they
> would put the NFL games. Right there where the CFL games (which I do watch)
> live.
>
>> Most newscasts are simply an endless repititon of the same news.
>
> There is that, but some are new.

Very few stories change between 6 pm and 11 pm, except for storms that
arrive at 9 pm.

I take it, though, that your other sources of news are not attractive
to you at the time in question.

/dps

--
"That’s where I end with this kind of conversation: Language is
crucial, and yet not the answer."
Jonathan Rosa, sociocultural and linguistic anthropologist,
Stanford.,2020

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<usta34$16e3p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203521&group=alt.usage.english#203521

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 09:41:37 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 22:41 UTC

On 14/03/24 02:54, lar3ryca wrote:

> Faced with sole choice of watching the Oscars, I would exercise the
> finger movement to shut the TV off.
>
> This sort of thing drives me batty. During the NFL season, we often
> find the news we usually watch at 5PM preempted by an NFL game.

That doesn't seem to happen here. Well, possibly it does on the
commercial channels, because I haven't checked those in the last couple
of years.

What does happen is that the sports section of the news programme
expands to drive out more interesting news. I'd like to turn the TV off
at that point, but I can't because the weather forecast comes after the
sports.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<ustpqt$1d4rm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203536&group=alt.usage.english#203536

From: benlizro@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 16:10:14 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 03:10 UTC

On 14/03/2024 10:47 a.m., Snidely wrote:
> J. J. Lodder submitted this gripping article, maybe on Wednesday:
>> Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wednesday or thereabouts, J. J. Lodder asked ...

>>> Ah, percussion instruments.  I understand the score for Oppenheimer has
>>> none.
>>
>> Unless you count the bomb itself.
>>
>>> /dps "theater organs had many ranks of pipes, but also many percussion
>>> effects"
>>> [some instruments now found in pizza parlors]
>>
>> Mentioned it only because I was happy to learn
>> that the whole movie genre is named after a particular instrument.
>>
>> Most of you knew that all along, I guess,
>>
>> Jan
>
> Well, no.  "Slapstick orchestra" is new to me.  My knowledge of ilent
> movies (by that name) includes accompaniment by theater organs, pianos,
> and even piano rolls, but I suppose big theaters could afford a small
> orchestra (perhaps similar in size to chamber orchestras or jazz-era big
> bands).  "Silent movies" is a genre, but it is rather large, with all
> the familiar genres represented with in it.
>
> "Slapstick" is something I associate with burlesque and vaudeville, and
> their early television hiers.  Red Skelton spanned both, Jerry Lewis
> came along later.
>
> /dps

That genre of comedy (loud, crude, physical) was named for a larger
version of the orchestral instrument, used in vaudeville sketches. One
comedian could smack another on the backside with such a stick, making a
loud noise without actually doing them injury.

The word (for both the implement and the type of comedy) first appears
in the 1890s.

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<ustr3o$1dbvk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203538&group=alt.usage.english#203538

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:32:06 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 03:32 UTC

On 2024-03-13 15:54, Snidely wrote:
> Just this Wednesday, lar3ryca explained that ...

>>> Horses for courses.  What would drive me batty is the NFL game
>>> preempted by the news.
>>>
>>> The news is available from several sources.  An NFL game is available
>>> on only one source.
>>
>> Not so, at least here. The network that carries the news we watch also
>> has about 8 sports channels none of which carry news.
>
> That isn't the gist of what Tony said.  An NFL game will appear only on
> one /channel/.  [Not quite true, because PPV aand premium channels can
> be in play.]

Right. What I said is that the network I am speaking of has more than 1
channel, and about 8 of those are sports channels, any one of which can
carry an NFL game without having it preempt a news broadcast on their
channel that normally doesn't carry sports.

What's interesting about their sports channels is that often, more than
one of them will carry the same game. This afternoon, the Toronto
Bluejays baseball game (Grapefruit league, AKA Spring training, or
pre-season), on four of their sports channels. If they can do that, I
don't see a problem putting NFL games on those channels.

> Even your network won't have the NFL game on two channels, unless I
> misunderstand the contract they signed.
>
>> Guess where I wish they would put the NFL games. Right there where the
>> CFL games (which I do watch) live.
>>
>>> Most newscasts are simply an endless repititon of the same news.
>>
>> There is that, but some are new.
>
> Very few stories change between 6 pm and 11 pm, except for storms that
> arrive at 9 pm.
>
> I take it, though, that your other sources of news are not attractive to
> you at the time in question.

I listen to the 0730 news on the radio, and after arising, the 'morning
show' on TV, which has better coverage. By 1800, there are usually
several stories that did not show up in the morning. There is no longer
a noon news (which used to be pronounced 'newn news' with both vowels
rhyming with 'news' by whoever was telling us what might show up on the
midday news.

--
Edam cheese is made backwards.

Re: Oscar Notes ... the scoring summary

<l5g0jkFscbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=203550&group=alt.usage.english#203550

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:07:48 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 10:07 UTC

On 2024-03-13 21:54:28 +0000, Snidely said:

> [ … ]

> Very few stories change between 6 pm and 11 pm, except for storms that
> arrive at 9 pm.

That's a very USA-centric point of view. Your "6 pm and 11 pm" is the
middle of the day in some other places, e.g. where Peter is.

--
athel cb : Biochemical Evolution, Garland Science, 2016