You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake. -- Jeannette Rankin

interests / alt.usage.english / Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

SubjectAuthor
* Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersJames Harris
+* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersStefan Ram
|+* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersStefan Ram
||`* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersJames Harris
|| `* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersStefan Ram
||  `- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersJames Harris
|+* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersStefan Ram
||`* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersJames Harris
|| `- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersGarrett Wollman
|+* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersStefan Ram
||`* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersjerryfriedman
|| +- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersSam Plusnet
|| +* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersJ. J. Lodder
|| |`* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersjerryfriedman
|| | `* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersSam Plusnet
|| |  `* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersPaul Wolff
|| |   `- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersSam Plusnet
|| `- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersJames Harris
|`- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersMark Brader
+- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersStefan Ram
+* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersjerryfriedman
|+* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersAthel Cornish-Bowden
||+- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersGarrett Wollman
||`* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersMadhu
|| `* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersAthel Cornish-Bowden
||  `- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersMadhu
|`- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersSnidely
+* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersRoss Clark
> [...]
|||    `* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characterslar3ryca
|||     `* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersRuud Harmsen
|||      `- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersRuud Harmsen
||+* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersHVS
|||+- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersAthel Cornish-Bowden
|||`- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersPeter Moylan
||`- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersAdam Funk
|`* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersAdam Funk
+* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersMark Brader
+- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersPeter Moylan
+- Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersRuud Harmsen
+* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersJohn Dunlop
`* Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation charactersHibou

Pages:1234567
Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<uvosnm$1mmm1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205471&group=alt.usage.english#205471

From: james.harris.1@gmail.com (James Harris)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:17:57 +0100
 by: James Harris - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:17 UTC

If preparing a book it's natural to append an index of key words and to
list them in alphabetical order. But what if one wanted to index a
technical book in which a reader may want to look up 'symbols' which
begin with or are made up of punctuation characters? What order should
they appear in?

For example, should a symbol such as

%%

come before of after a symbol such as

!=

and where would

$

fit in?

I thought about following ASCII but it has its punctuation characters in
an unintuitive order - for example, its single and double quotes are not
adjacent and it has backslash in between opening and closing square
brackets. Neither of those makes much sense to a human.

Hence the query: does anyone know of a suitable standard or
human-friendly ordering for punctuation symbols?

--
James Harris

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<order-20240417172106@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205472&group=alt.usage.english#205472

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 17 Apr 2024 16:40:19 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:40 UTC

James Harris <james.harris.1@gmail.com> wrote or quoted:
>For example, should a symbol such as
>%%
>come before of after a symbol such as
>!=
>and where would
>$
>fit in?

That's a dope question, fo' sho'!

Ain't no "intuitive order" when it comes to them special
characters. ASCII's prob'ly the first thing that comes to
mind for most folks who even think about that kinda stuff.

In the TeXbook, it's "#" first, then "$", and finally "!". "\#"
gets slotted in between "#" and "##". Those special characters
are listed before the regular ol' letters in the index.

You could also put the names of the symbols, instead of the
symbols themselves, into the index.

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<quote-20240417175416@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205473&group=alt.usage.english#205473

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 17 Apr 2024 16:54:36 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:54 UTC

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote or quoted:
>In the TeXbook, it's "#" first, then "$", and finally "!". "\#"
>gets slotted in between "#" and "##". Those special characters
>are listed before the regular ol' letters in the index.

Get ready for a hot take - we're about to serve up a spicy quote:

|A special symbol is defined to be any character not appearing
|in the union of digits and the English alphabetic characters.
|Patterns starting with special symbols precede numbers, which
|precede patterns starting with letters.
|The default sorting order in "makeindex" is punctuation
|characters (in ASCII order), digits, control characters (1 .
|. . 31), space (32), letters (ignoring case), characters 127
|. . . 255.
| "Tips on Indexing LaTeX Documents" (1998-01-15) - Nelson H. F. Beebe

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<ASCII-20240417182901@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205474&group=alt.usage.english#205474

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 17 Apr 2024 17:30:09 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:30 UTC

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote or quoted:
>In the TeXbook, it's "#" first, then "$", and finally "!". "\#"
>gets slotted in between "#" and "##". Those special characters
>are listed before the regular ol' letters in the index.

Yup, it seems like Donald Knuth is using the ASCII order for the index
of his books, but the combo "\#" is basically "semantically" sorted in
with the "#" character. It's like they're homies or something.

But where does this character order in the ASCII code even come from?

To make it easier to use with programming languages, all the graphic
characters in the ASCII code from '63 had to be in one contiguous
code range, but this range had to be in the middle, since the outer
code blocks already had the two control characters NUL and DEL.

They also made it easier to manufacture keyboards by making sure
characters that usually appear together on a key only differ by one
bit. Plus, it made it simpler to pick useful 4-bit sub-ranges - like
a 4-bit sub-range that has the digits and the basic math operators.

The least significant 4 bits of the digits also correspond to the
numeric value of those digits. The A-to-Z letters fit into a nice
5-bit sub-range. When they were arranging the characters, they also
took into account the usual order of characters when sorting text.

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<ASCII-20240417185637@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205475&group=alt.usage.english#205475

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 17 Apr 2024 17:57:21 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:57 UTC

James Harris <james.harris.1@gmail.com> wrote or quoted:
>I thought about following ASCII but it has its punctuation characters in
>an unintuitive order - for example, its single and double quotes are not
>adjacent and it has backslash in between opening and closing square
>brackets. Neither of those makes much sense to a human.

In ASCII, that ain't no single quote, it's a straight-up apostrophe.

And that whole "ABC" alphabetical order? That's just some
nonsense we all had to memorize as kids, otherwise it does
not "make sense" either!

Now, let's continue to talk about how they arranged them ASCII
characters:

With the "<=>", the order actually makes sense. And they
kinda followed that pattern with "[\]" and "{|}". On an old
Teletype Model 33, you'd see the "\" right following the "["
on the keyboard. As for "$%&'", they grouped those together
'cause they're seen as the "business special characters".

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<07d68366534a41dc28d5b25ab74de702@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205476&group=alt.usage.english#205476

From: jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (jerryfriedman)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:45:08 +0000
 by: jerryfriedman - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:45 UTC

James Harris wrote:

> If preparing a book it's natural to append an index of key words and to
> list them in alphabetical order. But what if one wanted to index a
> technical book in which a reader may want to look up 'symbols' which
> begin with or are made up of punctuation characters? What order should
> they appear in?

> For example, should a symbol such as

> %%

> come before of after a symbol such as

> !=

> and where would

> $

> fit in?

> I thought about following ASCII but it has its punctuation characters in
> an unintuitive order - for example, its single and double quotes are not
> adjacent and it has backslash in between opening and closing square
> brackets. Neither of those makes much sense to a human.

> Hence the query: does anyone know of a suitable standard or
> human-friendly ordering for punctuation symbols?

I don't. If you're actually doing this, I'd suggest using whatever
order comes out of your word processor's indexing feature or your
favorite sorting software. If you have so many strings beginning with
symbols that readers can't just glance through the index, you might
want to provide a note at the beginning giving the order you chose.
See for instance

https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/Alphabetizing/faq0003.html

Wasn't there a time when publishers usually did the indexing?

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<dope-20240417195422@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205477&group=alt.usage.english#205477

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 17 Apr 2024 18:54:43 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:54 UTC

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote or quoted:
>That's a dope question, fo' sho'!

"Dope question" meaning "excellent question" here as in
the slang expression, not "dope" as in "a silly person"!

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<l8akkdFqrc1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205478&group=alt.usage.english#205478

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:01:52 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:01 UTC

On 2024-04-17 18:45:08 +0000, jerryfriedman said:

> James Harris wrote:
>
>> If preparing a book it's natural to append an index of key words and to
>> list them in alphabetical order. But what if one wanted to index a
>> technical book in which a reader may want to look up 'symbols' which
>> begin with or are made up of punctuation characters? What order should
>> they appear in?
>
>> For example, should a symbol such as
>
>> %%
>
>> come before of after a symbol such as
>
>> !=
>
>> and where would
>
>> $
>
>> fit in?
>
>> I thought about following ASCII but it has its punctuation characters
>> in an unintuitive order - for example, its single and double quotes are
>> not adjacent and it has backslash in between opening and closing square
>> brackets. Neither of those makes much sense to a human.
>
>> Hence the query: does anyone know of a suitable standard or
>> human-friendly ordering for punctuation symbols?
>
> I don't. If you're actually doing this, I'd suggest using whatever
> order comes out of your word processor's indexing feature or your
> favorite sorting software. If you have so many strings beginning with
> symbols that readers can't just glance through the index, you might
> want to provide a note at the beginning giving the order you chose.
> See for instance
>
> https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/Alphabetizing/faq0003.html
>

> Wasn't there a time when publishers usually did the indexing?

There was, but often they did a very bad job of it. Better do it
yourself if you can.

As for the question, I haven't needed to include symbols in an index.
However, if I did I'd put them at the beginning of the index, in any
order, as unless the list is very long it's easy to skim down to one
you want.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<uvp775$2l88$1@usenet.csail.mit.edu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205479&group=alt.usage.english#205479

From: wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:16:53 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
 by: Garrett Wollman - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:16 UTC

In article <l8akkdFqrc1U1@mid.individual.net>,
Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 2024-04-17 18:45:08 +0000, jerryfriedman said:
>> Wasn't there a time when publishers usually did the indexing?
>
>There was, but often they did a very bad job of it. Better do it
>yourself if you can.

They used to hire professional indexers to do it, but humans are
expensive, and computers are very good at recognizing tokens.
Unfortunately, computers are not very good at evaluating how those
tokens are used, and determining which uses are the relevant ones to
include in the index.

-GAWollman

wollman@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<b4f42d7341f904e1ff02e37f74c66864@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205480&group=alt.usage.english#205480

From: jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (jerryfriedman)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:46:18 +0000
 by: jerryfriedman - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:46 UTC

Stefan Ram wrote:

> ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote or quoted:
>>That's a dope question, fo' sho'!

> "Dope question" meaning "excellent question" here as in
> the slang expression, not "dope" as in "a silly person"!

Yes, that might inadvertently offended the OP. Speaking of which,
imitation is often used for mockery, and your imitations of non-
standard dialects strike me as much more likely to offend people
than, say, profanity is.

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<uvpdul$1qbnf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205481&group=alt.usage.english#205481

From: benlizro@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:11:42 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:11 UTC

On 18/04/2024 4:17 a.m., James Harris wrote:
> If preparing a book it's natural to append an index of key words and to
> list them in alphabetical order. But what if one wanted to index a
> technical book in which a reader may want to look up 'symbols' which
> begin with or are made up of punctuation characters? What order should
> they appear in?
>
> For example, should a symbol such as
>
>   %%
>
> come before of after a symbol such as
>
>   !=
>
> and where would
>
>   $
>
> fit in?
>
> I thought about following ASCII but it has its punctuation characters in
> an unintuitive order - for example, its single and double quotes are not
> adjacent and it has backslash in between opening and closing square
> brackets. Neither of those makes much sense to a human.
>
> Hence the query: does anyone know of a suitable standard or
> human-friendly ordering for punctuation symbols?

Don't these symbols have names? E.g. percent, exclamation, dollar...
That would seem to be a simple way of alphabetizing them in an index.
They wouldn't be all together, of course, but why would you need that?

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<uvpfpe$2o1l$1@usenet.csail.mit.edu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205483&group=alt.usage.english#205483

From: wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:43:10 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
 by: Garrett Wollman - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:43 UTC

In article <uvpdul$1qbnf$1@dont-email.me>,
Ross Clark <r.clark@auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

>Don't these symbols have names? E.g. percent, exclamation, dollar...
>That would seem to be a simple way of alphabetizing them in an index.
>They wouldn't be all together, of course, but why would you need that?

If the book were *about* the symbols, that might be appropriate, but
presumably the book is about a programming language or environment,
and the intended audience may not all have the same names for the
symbols. Consider that even '(' and ')' and '[' and ']' and '{' and
'}' are not universally known by the same names across the
English-speeking world -- let alone '\' and '/' or '#'. For someone
actually using the index, who probably just wants to find the meaning
of that '`' character, they may not know that backtick is inexplicably
called "GRAVE ACCENT" in the Unicode table.

-GAWollman

wollman@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<Pj-dnUag055k3b37nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205484&group=alt.usage.english#205484

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:36:57 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:36 UTC

Stefan Ram:
> That's a dope question, fo' sho'!

Plonk.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Effective immediately, all memos are to be written
msb@vex.net | in clear, active-voice English." -- US gov't memo

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<OI6dnc1V9aN73737nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205485&group=alt.usage.english#205485

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:45:10 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:45 UTC

James Harris:
> If preparing a book it's natural to append an index of key words and to
> list them in alphabetical order. But what if one wanted to index a
> technical book in which a reader may want to look up 'symbols' which
> begin with or are made up of punctuation characters? What order should
> they appear in?

The same issue arises in alphabetical lists of titles if the title
begins with a symbol. I posted this example here in 2011:

In 1989 Donnalyn Frey and Rick Adams wrote a book that O'Reilly
published under the title "!%@:: A Directory of Electronic Mail
Addressing & Networks". Try deciding how you'd find *that* one
in an alphabetical catalog!

For example, I tried the Library of Congress. When I copied the full
title into their basic search form, it rejected it outright -- I had to
delete the first two characters before it would find it. I then tried
searching on just some keywords in the title. From the results I got,
it appears that the library sorts this title after titles beginning
with a digit and before titles beginning with a letter. But you could
equally well imagine it being sorted as if it began with "Exclamation".

(I also tried the Toronto Public Library; if I remember correctly,
*they* used to have it sorted as if it began with the words "At sign".
But I can't check on that, because they don't have a copy of it any more.)

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Save our planet: it's the only one with chocolate"
msb@vex.net | --Bumper sticker

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<vfYTN.457601$7uxe.211991@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205486&group=alt.usage.english#205486

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 23:42:34 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:42 UTC

On 17-Apr-24 20:46, jerryfriedman wrote:
> Stefan Ram wrote:
>
>> ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote or quoted:
>>> That's a dope question, fo' sho'!
>
>>   "Dope question" meaning "excellent question" here as in
>>   the slang expression, not "dope" as in "a silly person"!
>
> Yes, that might inadvertently offended the OP.  Speaking of which,
> imitation is often used for mockery, and your imitations of non-
> standard dialects strike me as much more likely to offend people
> than, say, profanity is.

It's too late Jerry.
Stefan Ram has been assimilated by a rogue AI machine, and the resulting
construct is spewing out posts at random.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<uvpmkk$1s0vu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205488&group=alt.usage.english#205488

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:40:03 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 23:40 UTC

On 18/04/24 02:17, James Harris wrote:

> If preparing a book it's natural to append an index of key words and
> to list them in alphabetical order. But what if one wanted to index
> a technical book in which a reader may want to look up 'symbols'
> which begin with or are made up of punctuation characters? What
> order should they appear in?

[...]

> I thought about following ASCII but it has its punctuation
> characters in an unintuitive order - for example, its single and
> double quotes are not adjacent and it has backslash in between
> opening and closing square brackets. Neither of those makes much
> sense to a human.

Perhaps so, but every alternative I can think of is just as bad. On
balance, I would choose ASCII ordering, especially if the target
audience is familiar with ASCII.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<m31q738od5.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205489&group=alt.usage.english#205489

From: enometh@meer.net (Madhu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 06:43:10 +0530
sha1:PvD5034JXPqrUfTUiQHIuVlNSkQ=
 by: Madhu - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 01:13 UTC

* Athel Cornish-Bowden <l8akkdFqrc1U1@mid.individual.net> :
Wrote on Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:01:52 +0200:
> On 2024-04-17 18:45:08 +0000, jerryfriedman said:
>> James Harris wrote:
>>> If preparing a book it's natural to append an index of key words
>>> and to list them in alphabetical order. But what if one wanted to
>>> index a technical book in which a reader may want to look up
>>> 'symbols' which begin with or are made up of punctuation
>>> characters? What order should they appear in?
>>> For example, should a symbol such as
>>
>>> %%
>>
>>> come before of after a symbol such as
>>
>>> !=
>>
>>> and where would
>>
>>> $
>>
>>> fit in?
>>
>>> I thought about following ASCII but it has its punctuation
>>> characters in an unintuitive order - for example, its single and
>>> double quotes are not adjacent and it has backslash in between
>>> opening and closing square brackets. Neither of those makes much
>>> sense to a human.
>>
>>> Hence the query: does anyone know of a suitable standard or
>>> human-friendly ordering for punctuation symbols?
>> I don't. If you're actually doing this, I'd suggest using whatever
>> order comes out of your word processor's indexing feature or your
>> favorite sorting software. If you have so many strings beginning
>> with symbols that readers can't just glance through the index, you
>> might want to provide a note at the beginning giving the order you
>> chose. See for instance
>> https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/Alphabetizing/faq0003.html
>> Wasn't there a time when publishers usually did the indexing?
>
> There was, but often they did a very bad job of it. Better do it
> yourself if you can.
>
> As for the question, I haven't needed to include symbols in an
> index. However, if I did I'd put them at the beginning of the index,
> in any order, as unless the list is very long it's easy to skim down
> to one you want.

The common Lisp Hyperspec has a symbol index with a page for
non-alphabetic symbols

http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw80/CLHS/Front/X_Alph_9.htm

The symbols "&*+-/1<=>" happen to be placed in the order of the ascii
character codes.

(loop for c across "&*+-/1<=>" collect (char-code c))
(38 42 43 45 47 49 60 61 62)

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<f36b78fd5955925a3f1fe3b693a0608a@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205494&group=alt.usage.english#205494

From: jerry.friedman99@gmail.com (jerryfriedman)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 02:44:18 +0000
 by: jerryfriedman - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 02:44 UTC

Ross Clark wrote:

> On 18/04/2024 4:17 a.m., James Harris wrote:
>> If preparing a book it's natural to append an index of key words and to
>> list them in alphabetical order. But what if one wanted to index a
>> technical book in which a reader may want to look up 'symbols' which
>> begin with or are made up of punctuation characters? What order should
>> they appear in?
>>
>> For example, should a symbol such as
>>
>>   %%
>>
>> come before of after a symbol such as
>>
>>   !=
>>
>> and where would
>>
>>   $
>>
>> fit in?
>>
>> I thought about following ASCII but it has its punctuation characters in
>> an unintuitive order - for example, its single and double quotes are not
>> adjacent and it has backslash in between opening and closing square
>> brackets. Neither of those makes much sense to a human.
>>
>> Hence the query: does anyone know of a suitable standard or
>> human-friendly ordering for punctuation symbols?
>>

> Don't these symbols have names? E.g. percent, exclamation, dollar...
> That would seem to be a simple way of alphabetizing them in an index.
> They wouldn't be all together, of course, but why would you need that?

I just learned that some authorities--the Chicago Manual of Style,
at least--recommend alphabetizing isolated numbers that way. I don't
remember ever noticing that.

https://press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/CHIIndexingComplete.pdf

At least in English, unlike French, there's a nearly complete
consensus on the names of the numbers. But does _101 Dalmatians_
come before or after (*wikips*) the Korean TV series _100 Days
My Prince_?

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<mn.8cff7e8415f6bf7d.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205495&group=alt.usage.english#205495

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:19:49 -0700
 by: Snidely - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 04:19 UTC

Just this Wednesday, jerryfriedman explained that ...
> James Harris wrote:
>
>> If preparing a book it's natural to append an index of key words and to
>> list them in alphabetical order. But what if one wanted to index a
>> technical book in which a reader may want to look up 'symbols' which begin
>> with or are made up of punctuation characters? What order should they
>> appear in?
>
>> For example, should a symbol such as
>
>> %%
>
>> come before of after a symbol such as
>
>> !=
>
>> and where would
>
>> $
>
>> fit in?
>
>> I thought about following ASCII but it has its punctuation characters in an
>> unintuitive order - for example, its single and double quotes are not
>> adjacent and it has backslash in between opening and closing square
>> brackets. Neither of those makes much sense to a human.
>
>> Hence the query: does anyone know of a suitable standard or human-friendly
>> ordering for punctuation symbols?
>
> I don't. If you're actually doing this, I'd suggest using whatever
> order comes out of your word processor's indexing feature or your
> favorite sorting software. If you have so many strings beginning with
> symbols that readers can't just glance through the index, you might
> want to provide a note at the beginning giving the order you chose.
> See for instance
>
> https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/Alphabetizing/faq0003.html
>
> Wasn't there a time when publishers usually did the indexing?

Aren't symbol conventions usually given in a page at the beginning or
an appendix at the end (but before the index)?

Although my _gnuplot In Action_ [1] has only a brief mention of
symbols under the "Conventions" subheading of "About This Book", and a
section of the index for symbols and one for numerics. I'm not going
to go into the ordering in detail, but it begins with '^' (caret), ends
with '$' (dollar sign), and has '@' (atsign) in the middle.

[1] Philipp K. Janert, 2nd edition, Manning Publications Co, Shelter
Island NY, 2016

That's the tech book most in reach at the moment, so a very brief
survey.

/dps "unsigned"

--
"This is all very fine, but let us not be carried away be excitement,
but ask calmly, how does this person feel about in in his cooler

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<uvq864$231s1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205499&group=alt.usage.english#205499

From: Silvano@noncisonopernessuno.it (Silvano)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 06:39:31 +0200
 by: Silvano - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 04:39 UTC

Garrett Wollman hat am 17.04.2024 um 23:43 geschrieben:
> For someone
> actually using the index, who probably just wants to find the meaning
> of that '`' character, they may not know that backtick is inexplicably
> called "GRAVE ACCENT" in the Unicode table.

Inexplicably? How else do you call it?

I do not know about mathematicians, but the linguists who invented
Unicode are trying to list there letters, ideograms and other symbols
used in all known languages. And "`" has been called "accent grave" for
centuries in French.

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<uvqbv8$23pbe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205500&group=alt.usage.english#205500

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:44:07 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 05:44 UTC

On 18/04/24 14:39, Silvano wrote:
> Garrett Wollman hat am 17.04.2024 um 23:43 geschrieben:

>> For someone
>> actually using the index, who probably just wants to find the meaning
>> of that '`' character, they may not know that backtick is inexplicably
>> called "GRAVE ACCENT" in the Unicode table.
>
> Inexplicably? How else do you call it?
>
> I do not know about mathematicians, but the linguists who invented
> Unicode are trying to list there letters, ideograms and other symbols
> used in all known languages. And "`" has been called "accent grave" for
> centuries in French.

Backtick is a new one to me. Is that used anywhere?

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<l8bs34F1u4iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205503&group=alt.usage.english#205503

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:15:18 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 06:15 UTC

On 2024-04-18 01:43:10 +0000, Madhu said:

> [ … ]
>
> The common Lisp Hyperspec has a symbol index with a page for
> non-alphabetic symbols
>
> http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw80/CLHS/Front/X_Alph_9.htm
>
> The symbols "&*+-/1<=>" happen to be placed in the order of the ascii
> character codes.
>
> (loop for c across "&*+-/1<=>" collect (char-code c))
> (38 42 43 45 47 49 60 61 62)

Even if such an ordering exists, are readers of books supposed to study
it before reading?

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<uvqh28$24q4b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205507&group=alt.usage.english#205507

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:11:04 +0200
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:11 UTC

jerryfriedman wrote:

> At least in English, unlike French, there's a nearly complete
> consensus on the names of the numbers. But does _101 Dalmatians_
> come before or after (*wikips*) the Korean TV series _100 Days
> My Prince_?

When alphabetizing titles and such I would ignore all non-letters.

When alphabetizing technical characters I would put them all first and
sort them in the easiest way - which means the way a computer would sort
them without special algorithms.

Kernigan&Ritchie have put all the technical characters first in the
index. The principle for their internal sorting is not evident.

--
Bertel
Kolt, Denmark

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<1qs6kp1.17ic0d01cz8y8rN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205511&group=alt.usage.english#205511

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 10:53:23 +0200
 by: J. J. Lodder - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:53 UTC

jerryfriedman <jerry.friedman99@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stefan Ram wrote:
>
> > ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote or quoted:
> >>That's a dope question, fo' sho'!
>
> > "Dope question" meaning "excellent question" here as in
> > the slang expression, not "dope" as in "a silly person"!
>
> Yes, that might inadvertently offended the OP. Speaking of which,
> imitation is often used for mockery, and your imitations of non-
> standard dialects strike me as much more likely to offend people
> than, say, profanity is.

Still, it would be a nice research project:
translating for example Oxford English into American Redneck,
and vica versa.
I guess it would be hard to get it just right,

Jan

Re: Book indexing - and the order of punctuation characters

<uvqtoi$27dkk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=205518&group=alt.usage.english#205518

From: james.harris.1@gmail.com (James Harris)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:47:46 +0100
 by: James Harris - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 10:47 UTC

On 17/04/2024 17:54, Stefan Ram wrote:
> ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote or quoted:
>> In the TeXbook, it's "#" first, then "$", and finally "!". "\#"
>> gets slotted in between "#" and "##". Those special characters
>> are listed before the regular ol' letters in the index.
>
> Get ready for a hot take - we're about to serve up a spicy quote:
>
> |A special symbol is defined to be any character not appearing
> |in the union of digits and the English alphabetic characters.
> |Patterns starting with special symbols precede numbers, which
> |precede patterns starting with letters.
> |The default sorting order in "makeindex" is punctuation
> |characters (in ASCII order), digits, control characters (1 .
> |. . 31), space (32), letters (ignoring case), characters 127
> |. . . 255.
> |
> "Tips on Indexing LaTeX Documents" (1998-01-15) - Nelson H. F. Beebe

The ASCII ordering is well-defined but is unfortunately not very 'human'.

I've read all the replies to date and will respond to them but for now
here's a first suggestion for an ordering of common punctuation symbols.
Although they will look different in different typefaces the basic
approach I've taken is to list from lighter to heavier, similar
characters together, and arithmetic operators (as used in computer
programs, e.g. * instead of x) together.

space (would go first, if relevant)
..
, ;
: `
'

! |
^ ~
_ =
+ -
* /
\ ?
$ &
% #
@

Then the brackets:

<

( )
[ ]
{ }

The main goal, in the absence of a pre-existing standard, can be seen as
essentially to make it feasible for humans to look up 'words' of such
characters in an index.

I already think some changes are needed and there will be other
punctuation characters to add (I've only included the ASCII punctuation
characters so far) but ISTM the principle of going from light to heavy
is likely a good way to go.

Feedback welcome!

--
James Harris